EVGA

Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
RAVENEVGA
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 271
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2022/06/04 11:16:38 (permalink)
I'm building my first computer and am following a YouTube guide to build computers.  I got to the part where I was to hook up CPU, Ram, Drives, GPU, all hooked up to the Power Supply.  This is to see if your board is recognizing things.  I plugged in the Power Supply, turned on the back switch, hit the I/O [as instructed in Owner's Manual], then the motherboard power switch.  I got a bunch of numbers on the read out that quickly cycled through in quick fashion:  55, 7F, 02, 00, 20, 9F, 80, 61, 6A, 69, 24, 7F, 96, 97, 9C, a single beep, two beeps quickly, held on 9C longer, more beeps, 64, 9C, A2, different sounding beeps, A0, A2, held here for a second or so, A9, Reset light turns on and off quickly, Ab.  It held on the Ab from then on.

Most of these numbers flashed by so quickly [took a video] that I had a hard time catching them,...clicking the "pause/play" button on my video as fast as my thumb could click the mouse button.

Also, there are 9 tiny white LEDs on the board that were lit up [in an L shape pattern].

What does this all mean?
post edited by RAVENEVGA - 2022/06/04 11:19:58

Windows 11 Pro
> Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
> Mainboard: EVGA Z690 CLASSIFIED (BIOS v1.10 6/21/2022)
> CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K
> Video Card: EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
> Cooling: Noctua NH-U12A
> Physical Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5, 32 GB [2x16GB], 5600MhHz
> Drives: 980 Pro 1TB [main], 980 Pro 2TB, 990 Pro 2TB
> Physical Memory Model#: CMT32GX5M2B5600C36W
> Main Monitor: LG UHD 4K 32" [Model:32UN500-W.AUS]
> Second Monitor: Samsung C27F591 [Model:LC27F591FDN]

191 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30978
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/04 11:24:48 (permalink)
    What specific MB ?  Brand & part number ?

You would only care if the BOOT process Stops - before the OS loads

The displayed number is a "POST Code" - this help you know what part of the build needs attention

You should tell us what hardware & OS your using if you have any issues

LEDs - usually mentioned in the Manual, what they indicate

Congrats on building your first PC

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/05 07:22:27 (permalink)
    I'm using the EVGA Z690 Classified.  No operating system has been installed currently.  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB [two 16 GB sticks].  EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra. Samsung 980 1 TB [first slot].  Samsung 980 2 TB [second slot]. 

That's what I currently had during the test.

It did come up on the screen with the Bios and seemed to recognize the CPU [12700 i7], the RAM, and both NVMe.  

This has been a very tense kind of thing I'm doing.  All the parts are so expensive, so I want to be sure I don't break something or do something wrong. 

I appreciate any help/advice I can get.  :-)
    post edited by RAVENEVGA - 2022/06/05 09:19:35

Windows 11 Pro
    > Physical Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5, 32 GB [2x16GB], 5600MhHz

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/05 11:43:18 (permalink)
    Next thing to do, after a successful BOOT, Update BIOS
    Load OS
    Then load the Chipset drivers for you MB

https://www.evga.com/support/download/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/06 14:21:47 (permalink)
    Not exactly sure how to update Bios, but I'll look it up. I appreciate the chipset driver link! 

A side question.  My case has two sets of USB front inputs [total of four], but the Classified board only has one 19 pin connector.  I know that using a Y connector to plug all four into the one 19 pin port isn't a good idea.  Is there another option how I can make use of the other two USB 19 pin connection?

Windows 11 Pro

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/06 16:22:24 (permalink)
    For BIOS updates - Read the directions 3 times before you do anything   MB with a built in BIOS selection switch are easy to recover a corrupted BIOS flash .... however, if you have never seen it done, you may want help .... follow the directions to the letter.

Look for tutorials on quality websites.  How to Geek - writes some easy to follow guides for many things

https://www.howtogeek.com/

there are two USB 2.0 & two USB 3.2 headers on that MB, however those are two different types of USB 3.2

another option, (for any MB without enough USB headers) look for some sort of adapter card

I just use the USB on back of the MB & leave the 2 on case for thumb drives

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/06 18:52:25 (permalink)
    I appreciate the insight and suggestions.  Yes, I've never done anything with BIOS before.  Honestly, I'm extremely intimidated by the entire build.  There's a lot of money in this system and I don't want to ruin anything.  I'll look at/use all the links you provided. 

Thanks for the insight on the USB headers.  I'll take another look at the MB manual to make sure I'm finding all the headers I'm needing.

Windows 11 Pro

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2365
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/07 06:50:22 (permalink)
    For USB adapter cards, they make stuff like this. You can also get adaptors like this to go from that 3.2 Type E header on your motherboard to a 19-pin 3.0 header.

I haven't used either of those specific devices, so I can't really endorse or recommend them specifically, so you might want to read some reviews or try and find brands or distributors you trust for that sort of thing. I just tried to find some quick examples of options.

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
    RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/07 19:11:01 (permalink)
    Thank you for your input as well, B0baganoosh!

I did have another question that I'm not totally certain on.  I am running rgb fans, all connected to a control box [will have software to download later].  It has a 15 pin SATA power cable.  Am I correct that this will be hooked into the SATA port on my PSU?  It seems reasonable that it should be.   Don't want to burn out my fans.

I have the 1000W EVGA G5 Supernova.

As of this moment, I have everything hooked up.  All the wires are in place.  The only thing I may do is get a vertical mount for the GPU as I think I may prefer that orientation.  Honestly,...I'm quite a bit nervous to proceed.  I'm a novice at this and if something isn't working, I may not have the knowledge base to satisfactorily trouble shoot it.  I'm going to download or look at all the links provided here tomorrow.  Do the BIOS Update.  The Chipset Driver.  Anything else required....and I hope it all goes well.

Windows 11 Pro

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/07 19:52:52 (permalink)
    I hope I'm not asking too many questions.  I went to the EVGA download center and downloaded a BIOS driver for my motherboard and Windows 11.  I also downloaded the Chipset from the same tab.  My question is, do I need to download drivers for the following?

Audio Driver - Realtek

GeForce 30 Series Family [from the Graphics Card tab]

I may ask more questions if I'm uncertain about anything else.  I really do appreciate the help!

Windows 11 Pro

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/08 08:53:36 (permalink)
    Don't worry about questions. There are plenty of us that just like to help people like yourself get into the hobby. We're all ignorant when we start, and over time and experiences (good and bad) we learn things.

You are correct that your SATA power cable from that port on the PSU is what goes into that controller if it has a SATA power plug on it. You will need the SATA cable (usually has 3 connectors on the end for different devices) that came with the PSU to go between the PSU and that controller.

One other tip before you turn things on that tends to catch people off guard is the memory slots. If you look at page 26 of your user manual, it shows that you want to populate slots 2 and 4 if you're using 2 sticks of memory. There's a nice picture there so you can tell which ones those are. Most people's first instinct is to put them in order (1 and 2 or 3 and 4) and that will cause them to not run correctly. You can boot, but you won't get full speed out of them.

Technically, you probably don't need to do any BIOS updates straight out of the gate just to get things running. The later BIOS updates for your motherboard will have things like memory speed stability improvements so it is definitely a good idea to do that step, but I just wanted to be clear that it isn't something that will cause damage if you forget or something. it's just going to help you to do that. So download all those drivers from the motherboard tab onto a thumb drive, they might be the same ones that came on the thumb drive with the motherboard though, so the BIOS might be the only one to update on there. Don't worry about the GeForce driver at first. You can update that later.

So once you have everything plugged in, hooked up and ready to turn on, you'll want to go into your BIOS. It will probably suggest that anyway as you don't have any OS installed and on your first boot the motherboard usually indicates that hardware has changed and asks if you want to go into the BIOS. Here's how I would proceed when you get into BIOS (I'm going from my use of the z590, but the BIOS menus and interface are very similar):

1. In the lower right corner there will be some helpful tips about what buttons do what. F12 is a handy one for taking a screenshot and saving it to the thumb drive plugged in so you can share it later if you want to post settings or get help with things. F5 is usually "load optimized defaults". On my first boot, I start with F5. That sets up what the motherboard thinks are the best default settings for your hardware.

2. In the upper left is a drop-down menu called "Extras". In there is an option for the BIOS update. if you have the BIOS file on your USB drive you can click that button, navigate to the file and follow the instructions. Do not reboot while it's doing that, just let it run and only hit buttons when it asks you to. Pulling power during a BIOS update is probably the most risky thing to happen during normal computer maintenance. Some people swear by UPS backups for that reason. I just make sure not to do this during a thunder storm lol. It's quite rare to just suddenly lose power where I live, but I just wanted to mention that there is some risk during that step. Your motherboard has 3 BIOS's technically (selectable with that 3-position bios selector switch). With that feature, you can always switch to a different position and recover, so it really isn't that dangerous with your hardware (don't panic!).

3. OK, so you have updated the BIOS. Get back in there and hit F5 again.

4. Go to the Boot tab. Turn off "Fast Boot". Click the CSM Configuration section and set CSM Support to Disabled. Back in the Boot tab set Boot mode Select to EUFI. You should see your hard drives show up under the Boot option #1-8 area. I usually set the OS drive to #1 and the USB key after that, but you may have other ways you want to do that. You can also boot directly to the USB drive that you have your Windows installation media on straight from the BIOS "Save & Exit" screen anytime you wan too, but let's keep going through this for now. If this was on Legacy by default, sometimes you have to reboot to get it to show your hard drives in the Boot options list. You can keep going through this list for now. Some of this might update after you actually install Windows too.

5. Go to the Advanced tab. Go into PCIe Configuration and set Resizable BAR and Above 4G memory assignment to Enabled. If your GPU is plugged into slot 1, "PE1" should show "x16 Gen4" on the right and if so, you can leave that drop down as "Auto".

6. Also in Advanced tab, you can go into your hardware monitoring and control settings (I can't remember what the option is called, but it brings you to the "Smart Fan" settings). In here, you'll want to set up your fan header modes to either PWM, DC, or leave them on Auto if nothing is plugged in. 4-pin fan connectors should be set at PWM, 3-pin fans are DC. I'm not sure what you have for case fans, CPU coolers, etc. so I can't give you specific instructions on what headers to set at what settings. What you will want to do is set up a fan curve for your CPU cooler, and you can also set up a fan curve for your case fans here. If you're using a USB fan controller, you might just do that in Windows with the software for that controller, but if you have fans plugged into the motherboard directly, this is where you do that. You click on the "Smart Fan Settings" button for that given header and it will let you adjust the fan power per sensor temperature. You can control that to CPU temperature, VRM temperature, etc. They don't give you a curve with dots like some BIOS do, but it's pretty straight forward to set 4 levels where your curve targets changes in temperature. Just make sure if you're setting fans for a CPU cooler that the input sensor is "[Temp.] CPU" and that way it will actually respond to your CPU's temperature when it adjust the fan speed accordingly.

7. Go to the Memory tab. I don't know what memory you have, but assuming it isn't anything crazy, you should be able to click on the memory profile drop-down and click "XMP Profile 1". Your mileage may vary here. Some people have trouble going over the 4800MHz spec for 12th gen Intel, but some people are running all the way up in the 6000-7000MHz range. With this motherboard, I would think something like 5200MHz or 5600MHz should be no problem, but going over that and this could get tricky. I'm not going to get into any overclocking with this little guide, but if you have some pretty standard memory, you should be able to run XMP Profile 1.

8. Now that all that is set up, go to the "Save & Exit" tab. Save this Profile. Name it something. You can also export this profile to a USB drive so that if you ever update the BIOS again (which wipes all settings) or end up trying the different BIOS switch positions for troubleshooting at some future date, you can load the profile from the USB disk and save having to do all that tweaking again. Then hit the save and exit button and reboot the computer. At this point, your motherboard has to train the memory, so it might take a little longer to boot this time. Be patient, give it a minute. If your POST indicator LEDs cycle through and cycle through, that's pretty normal. If it won't post and gives a consistent error about the memory, you can always hit the Clear CMOS button on the I/O shield and try to reload the profile. If this does happen, it's probably that XMP setting. So go back into memory and set it back to default. This probably won't happen, but if it does, folks here can try to give you some advice later, but I just wanted to let you know what to do just in case. Anyway, assuming it booted fine, I always like to go back into the BIOS one more time just to see that the memory is set at the XMP setting properly. Go back to the "Save & Exit" tab. There should be a button there where you can click on it and boot directly to your USB drive that has your Windows Installation media. Time to install Windows.

9+. You can download your GeForce Drivers straight from Nvidia once you're in Windows. I also use EVGA's Precision X1 for my fan control, GPU's RGB, Overclocking the GPU, getting any firmware and vBIOS updates, etc. Other helpful software that I like to install for tweaking settings, monitoring things, troubleshooting, etc.: GPUz, CPUz, HWiNFO64, 3DMark (benchmarking tool you can get through Steam), Cinebench r23 (CPU benchmarking tool that's handy for stress testing and finding out how your cooling is handling your CPU).

I...should probably get back to work lol. But anyway, hopefully that helps you run through your BIOS settings. A side note: you can likely skip just about any of that and your computer will still boot, it'll work, and you can run things. Disabling CSM and enabling EUFI boot mode should force your Windows install to format your drive correctly with GPT boot formatting, so that one is good to do.

Feel free to let us know if you have questions on any of this or get stuck somewhere.

Edit: I almost forgot, but things tend to boot so fast past the splash screen these days...you get into the BIOS by pressing the Delete key during boot. I tend to spam the key until it shows me the BIOS select screen lol. I hadn't mentioned that button before and if you've never done this before, you might not know that, so I thought it would be helpful to edit this with that info.
    post edited by B0baganoosh - 2022/06/10 10:01:29

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
    RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/08 15:07:24 (permalink)
    Thank you, on the SATA thing.  Yes, I found the cable in the PSU box, so hooked the RGB fans there.

I did see that in the manual for the motherboard and have the RAM in 2 and 4.

The motherboard did come with a very small flashdrive:  EVGA Z690 USB DISK Version 21-698-01-1, E00C-01-000018

As for the other drivers, I just assumed they needed to be done on new systems, but can just keep them on a flashdrive.

I very much appreciate the steps you have laid out here.  I'll follow them whenever I finally get the nerve to do it!

As for fans, I have a Noctua NH-U12A with two fans, hooked up to CPU Fan headers 1 and 2.  The other fans are Lian Li, all hooked to a controller board.  The RBG are hooked to the 3 pin header.  The fan plug is in a fan Sys Fan header.  And the last plug is hooked into the 7 pin USB.  Power is the 15 pin plugged into the PSU SATA1.

For memory, I'm using two Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5, 32 GB, 5600MhHz.

The drives I'm using are Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD.  A 1GB is in the first slot, to be for the system, and a 2GB in the second slot for storage.

I have no plans at all for overclocking.

I'm going to print all this off.  Again, I really appreciate all the assistance I can get. 

Windows 11 Pro

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/09 11:29:50 (permalink)
    Those are PWM fans on your CPU cooler. So you can put those headers on PWM mode (step 6 above) and then set your temperature profile in the Smart Fan Settings for that header to ramp at the temperatures you want them to ramp to.

You're likely perfectly fine with that memory to turn on the XMP Profile 1 per step 7.

So yeah, looks good to go. Take your time, don't panic, and have fun!

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/09 14:21:02 (permalink)
    *breaths a cleansing breath*
    Thanks for your assistance.  If I run into issues I'll hope back on here.  I'm fortunate that my old system is still working. 

Current old computer:
    AMD FX-4300
    AMD Radeon R5 235X 1GB
    DDR3 16 GB
    500GB HDD

Yeah.....the new system will be light years ahead.

Windows 11 Pro

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/09 18:46:50 (permalink)
    First turn on didn't go so well.  I made a quick video and placed it on YouTube [because I wasn't sure if a video could be added to this site].

Some numbers show up, some beeps,...then 5 "ominous beeps", and some codes.  Everything appears to be fully plugged in.

Edited to add:   I guess I can't include a YouTube link.  Not sure how I can explain what happened. 

Look up 'DL Music Production', and it will be the only "Shorts".
    post edited by RAVENEVGA - 2022/06/09 19:50:36

Windows 11 Pro

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 598
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/10 01:22:05 (permalink)
    RAVENEVGA
    First turn on didn't go so well.  I made a quick video and placed it on YouTube [because I wasn't sure if a video could be added to this site].

Some numbers show up, some beeps,...then 5 "ominous beeps", and some codes.  Everything appears to be fully plugged in.

Edited to add:   I guess I can't include a YouTube link.  Not sure how I can explain what happened. 

for sake of ur Youtube link read:
    https://forums.evga.com/Ultimate-SelfStarter-Thread-For-New-Members-m2966554.aspx
    (in ^^ click on #4 called, "Post Requirements for Private Messaging & Linking")
    when other ppl here can see ur Youtubes(s) it should be possible to help u with M.2s NP!

(Make 20 more posts on several threads. try on General Forums. Also read rules because if anyone trolls u ever in future u can just ignore them. it's not aloud. and best to ignore it.)

GL

PS
    i'm only using 7 SSDs. no M.2s yet. (My DAS ROCKS! hint hint )

> PSU: Seasonic VERTEX GX-1200
    > Mainboard: EVGA Z690 CLASSIFIED (BIOS v1.03 12/3/2021)
    > CPU: Intel Core i9-12900KF
    > AIO: EVGA CLC 240mm
    > Physical Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 5600
    > Physical Memory Model#: F5-5600U3636C16GX2-TZ5S
    > Monitor: Alienware AW2721D
    > Video Card: EVGA 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    > Case: Cooler Master HAF X (942)
    > DAS: Sabrent DS-SC5B

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/10 06:44:50 (permalink)
    RAVENEVGA

Ah yes the angry beeps. d6 is a video out issue. I used to get that sometimes until I updated my gpu's vBIOS. The 3080ti is especially prone to this until you update the vBIOS. I see it goes past that and I think A9 just means it's in BIOS.
    Some questions for you: Do you get display out eventually? Is your monitor hooked up to the video card? Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort? If you get display output, can you get into the BIOS Setup?
    If you didn't have a monitor plugged in, it could just be giving the error because of that (I'm not 100% sure on that, but I think its possible).

If you did have your monitor plugged in and you never get any display on it, you might have the common DisplayID issue that some 3080ti's have. A little trick that seemed to always work for my 3080ti when I got the d6 issue was that I'd just hit the reset button on the case. The second boot worked fine every time. So a cold boot (from power totally off) would give me a d6 error, I'd wait until it got past all the POST codes, then hit the reset button and it would boot fine.

Also, with your 12700k CPU (assuming it isn't a 12700KF), you can plug your monitor directly into the motherboard's display output and do your BIOS tweaks, get Windows installed, and eventually go here to update your GPU's firmware to fix that issue. You may also just be able to switch to an HDMI cable to get into your BIOS using the video card before updating the firmware.

In addition to what Bee_Dee said about post count, you can just put the "/shorts/uuynPbB-zoI" text that goes after youtube.com. Sometimes one of the mods will help edit your post to put the link in there if they happen across it (at least, until you get to that 30 post requirement). Just to make it easier on anyone else that wants to look, here is the video.
    post edited by B0baganoosh - 2022/06/10 06:49:08

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/11 07:02:35 (permalink)
    I did have the cable attached to the GPU.  I was using the DisplayPort cable this time.  Before, was using HDMI and did get to the BIOS Setup screen.  That was when I had everything out of the case and just running the Memory, NVMe drives, CPU, and GUP.  I want to use DisplayPort for the build though. 

Can I do an "update BIOS" if I don't have monitor showing?

I'll give the reset a try.

My CPU is the 12700K.  No "F". 

Thanks for the info on the video and post counts for this board.  It totally makes sense that it would be required.  If I decide to post another video, I'll do that.  :-)

Again, I have greatly appreciated  your help! 

Windows 11 Pro

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
    SSC Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/11 09:50:56 (permalink)
    RAVENEVGA
    I did have the cable attached to the GPU.  I was using the DisplayPort cable this time.  Before, was using HDMI and did get to the BIOS Setup screen.  That was when I had everything out of the case and just running the Memory, NVMe drives, CPU, and GUP.  I want to use DisplayPort for the build though. 

Can I do an "update BIOS" if I don't have monitor showing?

I'll give the reset a try.

My CPU is the 12700K.  No "F". 

Thanks for the info on the video and post counts for this board.  It totally makes sense that it would be required.  If I decide to post another video, I'll do that.  :-)

Again, I have greatly appreciated  your help! 

Can you get into the BIOS Setup?

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/11 10:42:52 (permalink)
    I was able to get into the BIOS.....eventually.  At first, the DisplayPort connection didn't seem to give a signal.  I switched over to HDMI and it worked.  Later, it worked with the DisplayPort.  Not sure why it didn't initially.

So I was going to Update BIOS.  When I inserted the tiny flashdrive [EVGA Z690 USB DISK, Version 21-698-01-1, E00C-01-00018], I wasn't sure which option to select.  This was what I could select:
    [System Volume Information]
    [Manual]
    [Wallpapers]
    [Drivers]
    EVGAE698.bin

I selected the last one, but then the monitor no longer came on, so I reset the I/O on the back panel.  Not sure what I might have done incorrectly.

In the mean time, I had a few other questions that should be easy.
    For the CPU_FAN1 Smart Fan Settings, do I use the "Control By" as [Temp.] CPU?  It has the following options.  I'm sure the same would apply to CPU_FAN2.
    [Temp.] CPU
    [Temp.] PMW
    [Temp.] SYS
    [Temp.] M.2 KEY-M(1)
    [Temp.] Mx2 kEY-M(2)(3)
    [Temp.] PCH

Same question for "Debug Port Display".  Things like this I have no clue about.  It was set on [Temp.] CPU

I have some images to took.  I hope this site will let me post them. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    These two images show that sometimes the CPU_Fan2 goes from showing RPM to "N/A".

These next two show the entire Fan screen to make sure I've added "PWM" in the right spot.

I've not installed Windows yet until I know what I'm supposed to do with BIOS Update.

On a side note, do the temps look okay?

I'll be away from my computer for the rest of the day.  I'll be checking back in tomorrow morning.  Thanks!
    post edited by RAVENEVGA - 2022/06/11 10:48:06

Windows 11 Pro

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
    SSC Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/11 11:22:22 (permalink)
    Load Optimal Defaults.
    Then Save and Exit.
    Then see if u can get back into BIOS.

If u can then look at https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3524447 
    ^^ that's a thread i started when i 1st built my Classified.
    U can ignore my 1st post on ^^. And go read the suggestions Cool GTX gave me.

The big difference between my build and urs is, ur going to have OS on an M.2 SSD and i have mine OS on an SSD.

But using Optimal defaults and the settings Cool GTX told me to set is hopefully all u need.

Edit: Ur Temps look normal. These CPUs are TjMax 100C. i play games for hours and briefly hit Max high 70's.

Edit 2:
    Create ur sig. (so everyone can see ur Hardware at the bottom of every post u make.)
    1. Go to ur "User Control Panel" (link to it is at the top of every Forum page).
    2. On left side click on, "Signature and Comment".
    3. Copy My Sig and change the Hardware to urs.
    4. Below "Signature and Comment" click on, "Save Profile".
    post edited by Bee_Dee_3_Dee - 2022/06/11 12:31:47

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/11 13:01:21 (permalink)
    I was able to pop in back at my apartment to see any replies. 

I looked at the link you gave from Cool GTX and it looks like I have configured things as stated. 

I'm just not sure about the Update BIOS part, using the small flashdrive.  Which one of the following options would I want to use? 
    [Manual]
    [Wallpapers]
    [Drivers]
    EVGAE698.bin

The other thing I was uncertain about, on that link, was when he said, "I would also only have your Boot Drive installed, until after the OS is loaded".  I'm not sure what this means.  My boot drive is my NVMe drive, right?  It's already in the motherboard.  Am I missing something?

Also, I did do the Signature line. 

Windows 11 Pro

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
    SSC Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/11 13:30:48 (permalink)
    RAVENEVGA
    I was able to pop in back at my apartment to see any replies. 

I looked at the link you gave from Cool GTX and it looks like I have configured things as stated. 

I'm just not sure about the Update BIOS part, using the small flashdrive.  Which one of the following options would I want to use? 
    [Manual]
    [Wallpapers]
    [Drivers]
    EVGAE698.bin

The other thing I was uncertain about, on that link, was when he said, "I would also only have your Boot Drive installed, until after the OS is loaded".  I'm not sure what this means.  My boot drive is my NVMe drive, right?  It's already in the motherboard.  Am I missing something?

Also, I did do the Signature line. 

Don't bother with the BIOS update for now. I'm still using version 1.03 that came with my Classified and it works fine.

As far as "I would also only have your Boot Drive installed, until after the OS is loaded" goes, wat that translates to:
    Just a Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor and a single M.2 SSD.

A nice thing to do with the manual is if u have two monitors running on a nearby PC; is to place two copies of the manual onto that PC. That way u can have two separate pages up at same time. I've never found the need for having three pages open, but two pages open is very helpful at times.

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/11 22:04:15 (permalink)
    The USB stick that came with your motherboard has the bios it came with on it. You don't need to run that one. If you find you have some stability issues or your memory won't run on xmp profile 1 correctly, you can download the latest one here: https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3550295. Just follow the instructions on the post. You probably don't need to update it to get your system up and running. Also, once you start a bios update, you do not want to reboot or pull power or anything like that. You want to let it finish. So you might want to watch some YouTube videos of the process or something so that you know what to expect.

As for the boot drive, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want the others. If they're all the same, it could be hard to tell during the install phase which one is which and it would then be helpful to only have one of your m.2 drives installed in the motherboard when you go to do the Windows install. I would think that the top slot would end up being drive 0 and the next one drive 1. So when you go to install windows you'd pick drive 0, but that cna be made easier if you just only put in the drive you actually want Windows installed on.

As for the cables, you can do the setup with the hdmi cable and then after you update the firmware on your gpu, switch back to the displayport cable. The update will fix that issue. You just need to get up and running in Windows to run the update.

Also, your cpu fans likely turn off or aren't controlled if they get below a certain rpm. So you may want to go into the smart settings and make sure the minimum speed is at least 40% at anything over 35°C to make sure they're always on at least a little. With your cpu I'd set them to go to 80-100% at 90°C for the maximum setting. Pick a couple tolerable levels below that fir the middle ranges (like maybe 55% at 70°C and 70% at 80°C. These are just examples. You can play with what you're comfortable with). Yes, you want to control your cpu fans to your cpu temp.

The debug port is that LED display that gives you the codes. If you set it on [TEMP] CPU it will show your cpu temperature after you boot into windows. That's a pretty common usage.

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/12 06:45:36 (permalink)
    Okay, thanks again guys. 

I'll just have to install with both drives in.  They are under the big Classified heat shield,...which is now blocked to get to by the GPU.  I'll use Drive 0.

On the video cables, it did start working with the DisplayPort. 

I'll go back into bios and mess with the rpms for the fans. 

Windows 11 Pro

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
    SSC Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/12 08:51:12 (permalink)
    RAVENEVGA
    Okay, thanks again guys. 

I'll just have to install with both drives in.  They are under the big Classified heat shield,...which is now blocked to get to by the GPU.  I'll use Drive 0.

On the video cables, it did start working with the DisplayPort. 

I'll go back into bios and mess with the rpms for the fans. 

cool.

ru installing windows 10 or 11?

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/12 09:36:08 (permalink)
    I ran out of time today, so will pick all this up after work tomorrow.

I will be installing Windows 11 Pro on this machine.

I did have....what probably would be considered....a "dumb question".  After Windows is installed, can I go back into that BIOS screen, or is that no longer an option....nor would be a good idea?  My current old computer doesn't appear to have an option to get to BIOS. 
    post edited by RAVENEVGA - 2022/06/12 09:37:32

Windows 11 Pro

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
    SSC Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/12 09:59:56 (permalink)
    RAVENEVGA
    I ran out of time today, so will pick all this up after work tomorrow.

I will be installing Windows 11 Pro on this machine.

I did have....what probably would be considered....a "dumb question".  After Windows is installed, can I go back into that BIOS screen, or is that no longer an option....nor would be a good idea?  My current old computer doesn't appear to have an option to get to BIOS. 

yes np after installing windows u can get into BIOS.

good question because... if u ever disabled that screen with the four options... maybe it's called quick access or something... then simply wright down that "F7" (tapping on it during start-up) will get u into BIOS.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1wqOHo9Lb0
    ^^ see :56 secs in, "If u try to install Windows, especially Windows 11 lately..."
    vid explains two plans to avoid M$ farming u.

Edit 2:
    In order to be more specific about the elements in my comments ^^ involving, "...if u ever disabled that screen with the four options...".... I just restarted my PC so I could more easily document things:

The "quick access or something" is actually called, simply, "Home" (the Home Screen). And therefore, in BIOS there is an Option in the Boot section called, "Skip Home". (Meaning Skip Home Screen.) And next to it is, "ON/OFF" option. Default is "ON".

Mine is set to "OFF" -- I did so a week or two after getting everything running perfect (OS, Drivers, Basic Programs, and a couple of Games) -- therefore the only way for me to get into BIOS is by tapping on F7 while Booting the PC (while Starting or Restarting). 

And after Tapping "F7" while booting it brings up something called, "Boot Options" (the Boot Options Screen).

My "Boot Options" screen displays the following for me:

"Please Select Boot Device"
    -Windows Boot Manager (P0: ADATA SU800)
    -Enter Setup

Selecting "Windows Boot Manager (P0: ADATA SU800)" always results in Booting into Windows. Because I have Win10 installed on this Motherboard's 1st SATA Port on a SATA SSD Made by ADATA and it's a Series SU800.

Selecting "Enter Setup" always results in being taken to the Default Home screen.

So in conclusion, u can disable Home Screen and still get into BIOS by tapping on F7 while Booting or restarting.

And skipping Home Screen (setting to OFF in BIOS) is an obvious choice one might make after getting everything running satisfactorily.

I would have felt like it was a  "dumb question" to ask the following:

What key Combination do I use after I disabled the default Home Screen in BIOS?

But when building this PC I asked ^^ while speaking to EVGA's phone support in regards to other problems; and hey, it's wasn't a "dumb question" because even though I've built 100's of PCs, this was my 1st one with an EVGA Motherboard. And there's no need not to ask, any question, when ur a Nub of any kind. 

post edited by Bee_Dee_3_Dee - 2022/06/13 06:51:20

RAVENEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/13 20:33:46 (permalink)
    So I downloaded Window from the flashdrive I purchased. 

The issues:

1. I connected an ethernet cable to the computer and it wasn't recognized.  It had a green occasional flashing light, but my router showed orange [should be white if working].  I'm unable to get internet connection.  Troubleshooting says, "The Intel(R) Ethernet Controller 1225-V adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related problems.  It was unable to fix it. 

2. I am only seeing the 1TB drive in File Explorer in the C drive spot [and it only shows the 1TB].  When I check properties and on the Hardware Tab, I can see both drives and the second shows that it is the 2TB drive.  Am I supposed go to its Properties and click the Update Driver button?

3. Not sure why, because this board is supposed to come with Realtek sound, but it isn't showing up. 

4. The number pad on my keyboard isn't working.

5. I'm unable to change the resolution on my monitor.  That function is greyed out.  And the whole screen icons are big. 

Are these all "need drivers installed" type of things, or is there something else I missed in BIOS?  I'm not sure why the ethernet ports aren't working. 

I'm beginning to see why people just have something built for them or get a pre-built.  :-/
    post edited by RAVENEVGA - 2022/06/13 20:37:28

Windows 11 Pro

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
    SSC Member
    Re: Initial Bios Test. What do these numbers mean? 2022/06/13 21:23:36 (permalink)
    RAVENEVGA
    So I downloaded Window from the flashdrive I purchased. 

The issues:

1. I connected an ethernet cable to the computer and it wasn't recognized.  It had a green occasional flashing light, but my router showed orange [should be white if working].  I'm unable to get internet connection.  Troubleshooting says, "The Intel(R) Ethernet Controller 1225-V adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related problems.  It was unable to fix it. 

2. I am only seeing the 1TB drive in File Explorer in the C drive spot [and it only shows the 1TB].  When I check properties and on the Hardware Tab, I can see both drives and the second shows that it is the 2TB drive.  Am I supposed go to its Properties and click the Update Driver button?

3. Not sure why, because this board is supposed to come with Realtek sound, but it isn't showing up. 

4. The number pad on my keyboard isn't working.

5. I'm unable to change the resolution on my monitor.  That function is greyed out.  And the whole screen icons are big. 

Are these all "need drivers installed" type of things, or is there something else I missed in BIOS?  I'm not sure why the ethernet ports aren't working. 

I'm beginning to see why people just have something built for them or get a pre-built.  :-/

Building, configuring, maintaining, diagnosing a PC involves ONLY two things. Hardware and Software.

Nothing more nothing less.

U have assembled the PC and it is working. So the initial Hardware aspect is accomplished.

Congratz!!!

Now it's all about Software (and a little Hardware still).

Did u follow instructions starting at the bottom of the Page 138 in the manual?

Edit: And all u described so far is normal including the missing drive. EVERYTHING u described WILL be resolved with "Software Drivers" or short description is, "Drivers". So it's NP. no worries. The missing drive will be fixed with "Disk Management". And "Device Manger" is the Key to confirming Drivers are properly installed. All problem resolutions ur having, starts by following steps on Page 138 in the manual.
    post edited by Bee_Dee_3_Dee - 2022/06/13 21:48:43

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile