EVGA

If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a FTW3?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
StayThePath
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/09/16 07:47:56 (permalink)
So I would have 1 8pin straight from the PSU to the GPU and  2 8-pins daisy chained to the gpu. Does the daisy chaining somehow draw more power than the single 8 pin?

67 Replies Related Threads

DSP1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 216
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 07:54:34 (permalink)
    I think you mean split rather than daisy chain.
    You want to take two outs for the card from one on the PSU right?
    My first impression is NO, don't do that, but I will let other electronics people describe why.

Intoxicus
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 07:57:00 (permalink)
    Off hand this seems like a bad idea. There is a reason they're doing 3X8pin. If they could use 2X8pin they would.

You're basically making 2 outputs feed 3 inputs beyond the output's capacity. This can results in melting cables, fires, damaged hardware, etc.

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 07:57:20 (permalink)
    The official word from the ASUS reps over on reddit is that the 3rd connector can be daisy chained.  AFAIK their bios maxes out at 400w, which is only slightly above the 375w nominal limit for two connectors+pcie slot (150+150+75).

If the FTW3 has a 450W bios or higher, I would be VERY uncomfortable not running a 3rd PSU cable.
    StayThePath
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 08:02:15 (permalink)
    Yeah, I saw that post from ASUS on reddit and that's actually what sparked the idea that I may be able to get a FTW3 instead of an XC3 ultra. From my understanding though, the ASUS cards aren't using power from the PCIe slot whereas EVGA are(I think). If I can split(I guess this is the correct term instead of daisy chain), I will get a FTW3 and then buy a new psu in a month or two. Someone said on reddit that the split actually draws more power from the psu, though not exactly double, so it may be possible if that random guy on the internet is correct, which he most certainly may not be. 

That being said, the ftw3 drawing 450 seems like a different deal compared to the ASUS cards, so maybe I should just stick with an XC3 Ultra.
    DSP1
    Superclocked Member
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 08:08:46 (permalink)
    As I said, someone who understands electronics would be better able to explain but my laymans understanding is the if you split from one output on the PSU to 2 inputs on the card you will potentially overload the one output on the PSU as you are attempting to draw twice the power it was designed to provide.

StayThePath
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 08:09:41 (permalink)
    That does make a lot of sense.
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 08:15:27 (permalink)
    StayThePath
    Yeah, I saw that post from ASUS on reddit and that's actually what sparked the idea that I may be able to get a FTW3 instead of an XC3 ultra. From my understanding though, the ASUS cards aren't using power from the PCIe slot whereas EVGA are(I think). If I can split(I guess this is the correct term instead of daisy chain), I will get a FTW3 and then buy a new psu in a month or two. Someone said on reddit that the split actually draws more power from the psu, though not exactly double, so it may be possible if that random guy on the internet is correct, which he most certainly may not be. 

That being said, the ftw3 drawing 450 seems like a different deal compared to the ASUS cards, so maybe I should just stick with an XC3 Ultra.

StayThePath

DSP1
    As I said, someone who understands electronics would be better able to explain but my laymans understanding is the if you split from one output on the PSU to 2 inputs on the card you will potentially overload the one output on the PSU as you are attempting to draw twice the power it was designed to provide.

It's really just an issue of heating the connectors a bit more than would be preferred and voltage drop across the cable (minor).  You could probably run them all off one cable and (maybe) be just fine, but I personally like having the most overkill practical.

Also, I just don't believe that the ASUS cards don't draw from the pcie, seems highly unlikely.
    DSP1
    Superclocked Member
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 08:20:43 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    StayThePath

StayThePath

DSP1

It's really just an issue of heating the connectors a bit more than would be preferred and voltage drop across the cable (minor).  You could probably run them all off one cable and (maybe) be just fine, but I personally like having the most overkill practical.

Also, I just don't believe that the ASUS cards don't draw from the pcie, seems highly unlikely.

Voltage drop to the card would be an issue. It might not even function. Heating up from the output at the PSU as it tried to deliver the necessary voltage but the card would not be receiving the full voltage necessary to operate.
    Again just laymans logic.

Zone15
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 08:25:50 (permalink)
    With a good PSU like a Seasonic, I don't see an issue.  I believe with my 750W Prime Ultra Gold it specified that if the card was under 250W, it was fine to use just one cable with the two connectors, if it was over that, use 2 separate cables.  That would mean they are rating each cable to be able to pull 250W so I don't see the FTW3 using 500w...

PartNumber                   DateEntered            Notify Sent
    10G-P5-3897-KR     9/17/2020 7:31:26 AM       YES
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30932
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 08:40:49 (permalink)
    StayThePath

Best practice is to use separate cables for Each 8-pin .... this became the recommendation of PSU Mfg with the 20 series cards

That said - Ask your PSU Mfg if they recommend it .... you risk damaging the PSU socket - even if it "works"

Stability could be affected 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
    Narune
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 08:42:59 (permalink)
    I only have two 8-pin sockets on my PSU, so what exactly am I going to do?
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 08:47:09 (permalink)
    DSP1
    Voltage drop to the card would be an issue. It might not even function. Heating up from the output at the PSU as it tried to deliver the necessary voltage but the card would not be receiving the full voltage necessary to operate.
    Again just laymans logic.

The voltage drop is overblown. I'm NOT recommending anyone do it though.
    Narune
    The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 08:52:44 (permalink)
    Uhhh....what am I gonna do?
    Intoxicus
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 08:56:35 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    StayThePath

Best practice is to use separate cables for Each 8-pin .... this became the recommendation of PSU Mfg with the 20 series cards

That said - Ask your PSU Mfg if they recommend it .... you risk damaging the PSU socket - even if it "works"

Stability could be affected 

Indeed. Like I said previously they didn't make it a 3X8pin just for fun. There is a reason they want the load divided like that. It costs more to add the 3rd 8pin meaning it's not something they would do without a reason.

Even if the cable is rated for 250w the PSU may not be able to supply that to 250w to the cable adequately. When electricity goes wrong it turns into heat which can damage components or start fires in extreme cases.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but my father is one, so it's something I grew up around. I can imagine his answer to the question, and it would be along the lines of what myself and Cool GTX are saying. 

Even if they say you can I would not personally. Even if it can work safely, it's still less than optimal. 

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
    Avenger411
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 08:58:16 (permalink)
    Chances are that you should get a new psu. Get a good one it’s a good investment.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16576
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 09:09:04 (permalink)
    You didn't tell us the power supply make and model.  That will make a huge difference in answer.

IF it is a quality PSU with decent gauge wires and no bottom-barrel garbage pins, it should be absolutely no problem. I am skeptical that the FTW3 really needs 3x8-pins in the first place, and that it has 3x8-pins for marketing reasons, but that is yet to be proven.

For example, Seasonic is rating Prime, Focus, and Core models of its PSUs' 2x8-pin connectors for 540 watts (270 watts per 8-pin); so without a doubt that would be enough to connect to a 3x8-pin plug.  It HIGHLY depends on the quality of the PSU, quality of the connectors, and the gauge and temperature rating of the wires.  If you have a Seasonic Prime, Focus, or Core PSU (like I do), I would say absolutely, without a question GO FOR IT!  No worries there at all.  On the other hand, if you have a $50 PSU without any clear specifications or manufacturer's blessing, don't do it.

A video about 2x8-pin vs 3x8-pin marketing:

post edited by ty_ger07 - 2020/09/16 09:33:36

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

Spurious_ECG
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 09:10:48 (permalink)
    New PSU or get a XC instead

Dwarfy
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 704
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: If I have only 2 8pin pcie outs on my PSU can I daisy chain to get the 3rd 8pin on a F 2020/09/16 09:21:07 (permalink)
    It would vary a lot from the quality of the cables, But presuming you have a single rail PSU think of it quite simply in terms of supply.
    1 cable delivers as much as is requested but there is a limit to what that cable can hold, rated may be x but it could carry more.
    • 6-pin: this power connector can provide up to 75 watts
    • 8-pin: this power connector can provide up to 150 watts
    But this can safely carry more if the wire is lower AWG then it can safely carry more.

This site aimed at miners suggests 288W per 8pin
    https://www.gpuminingresources.com/p/psu-cables.html

DISCLAIMER - There are reasons that the maximums are listed at 75 and 150 watts, there are far to many variables and each manufacturer of every component is different, for your own safety use a separate cable for each socket. Remember you are not buying an inexpensive part so don't cheap out on the most important aspect of running it.

Personally as a point of reference:-
    I have a Seasonic Focus Plus 850W PSU
    I have a GTX 1080 TI FTW3 Elite edition GPU
    I'm using an EVGA Powerlink
    I'm supplying the card from a single cable and have been since I've installed it.

The Base 1080 ti is rated max 250W
    I cannot and will not guarantee you could too and I would not recommend doing it.

rain2_usa
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 09:34:40 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Narune 2020/09/16 09:46:29
    Mine has 2 8-pin on the PSU itself but each cable has 2 connectors.  Double check if your extra cables (assuming you have a modular PSU based on you saying "socket") have 2 on a single PCI-e cable and make sure you have enough wattage and 80 plus certification. 

Core i7 6700k
    Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
    2x8GB Team T-Force Vulcan Z 3200Mhz
    EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra
    Corsair AIO? with 3D Printed spacer
    Mushkin 240GB SSD
    1TB NVMe 
    1TB Seagate SSHD
    LG Black BD-Drive UH12NS30
    Seasonic Focus GM-750 80+ Gold
    Silverstone Grandia GD09B HTPC Case
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16576
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 09:41:07 (permalink)
    Duplicate of this same topic:
    https://forums.evga.com/If-I-have-only-2-8pin-pcie-outs-on-my-PSU-can-I-daisy-chain-to-get-the-3rd-8pin-on-a-FTW3-m3080090.aspx

Please read that topic.

The answer to your question HIGHLY depends on your current PSU make and model.  Tell us about your PSU.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

Narune
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 09:47:15 (permalink)
    rain2_usa
    Mine has 2 8-pin on the PSU itself but each cable has 2 connectors.  Double check if your extra cables (assuming you have a modular PSU based on you saying "socket") have 2 on a single PCI-e cable and make sure you have enough wattage and 80 plus certification. 

Yes, each cable has two 6+2-pin connectors! I never noticed this, so I should be good, right?

This is my PSU btw: https://www.corsair.com/u...config/p/CP-9020130-NA
    post edited by Narune - 2020/09/16 09:50:33
    nolaes619
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 09:49:45 (permalink)
    I don't know much about psu but will these work I have these PSU
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2UINT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Current Daily Driver:
    Intel 8700K (6.8)

Asus ROG Strix 370-E Gaming
    Corsair 16GB 3000MHz Vengeance LPX
    Captain DeepCool 240EX
    EVGA GeForce FTW3 3080 ULTRA
    Samsung 960EVO Series 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2
    Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5
    Corsair HXi Series HX1000i
    Corsair Graphite 760T
    LG CX55 120HZ/GYSNC Ready :)
    Narune
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 09:50:10 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Duplicate of this same topic:
    https://forums.evga.com/If-I-have-only-2-8pin-pcie-outs-on-my-PSU-can-I-daisy-chain-to-get-the-3rd-8pin-on-a-FTW3-m3080090.aspx

Please read that topic.

The answer to your question HIGHLY depends on your current PSU make and model.  Tell us about your PSU.

This baby right here: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/txm-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020130-NA
    Turns out both my 8-pin cables have an additional 6+2 pin connector each on the end.
    Narune
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 09:52:47 (permalink)
    Wait, is using a Split connector safe for this kind of card?
    rain2_usa
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 10:32:53 (permalink)
    Narune
    rain2_usa

Yes, each cable has two 6+2-pin connectors! I never noticed this, so I should be good, right?

This is my PSU btw:

I read through your PSU specs and you are definitely good to go on wattage, 80 plus gold certification, and connectors.  I wouldn't worry about the PSU aspects of it as it's still under warranty from what I can gather.  

Core i7 6700k
    Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
    2x8GB Team T-Force Vulcan Z 3200Mhz
    EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra
    Corsair AIO? with 3D Printed spacer
    Mushkin 240GB SSD
    1TB NVMe 
    1TB Seagate SSHD
    LG Black BD-Drive UH12NS30
    Seasonic Focus GM-750 80+ Gold
    Silverstone Grandia GD09B HTPC Case
    Narune
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 10:42:05 (permalink)
    rain2_usa
    Narune
    rain2_usa

This is my PSU btw:

I read through your PSU specs and you are definitely good to go on wattage, 80 plus gold certification, and connectors.  I wouldn't worry about the PSU aspects of it as it's still under warranty from what I can gather.  

Is using those split connectors safe?

fergusonll
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1686
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 10:48:41 (permalink)
    nolaes619
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2UINT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have that same psu, there's plenty of pcie cables to run 3 separate cables. 
    Narune

It has always been recommended to run separate cables.

Narune
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 10:50:33 (permalink)
    fergusonll
    nolaes619

I have that same psu, there's plenty of pcie cables to run 3 separate cables. 
    Narune

It has always been recommended to run separate cables.

How are you running three separate cables when the PSU only has two 8-pin sockets? Where is that third cable gonna go?

FCooley
    • Total Posts : 72
    Re: The 3080 FTW Uses Three 8-pins, My PSU Only Has Two 8-Pin Sockets 2020/09/16 10:51:45 (permalink)
    nvm
    post edited by FCooley - 2020/09/16 10:54:54

CPU: Intel i9-12900K
    Mainboard: EVGA Z690 Classified
    GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 - 32GB
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile