EVGA

Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Author
Stan137q
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 14:31:02 (permalink)
Naturian, I've never heard anyone talk about the upside down pump cable except you. How'd you figure it out? Are you sure it's not just your adapter?
mrshrir
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 179
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 14:32:40 (permalink)
so let me get this straight, the card would show black screen because the correct way of connecting the mini gpu cable is actually the OPPOSITE way ??? please explain, i ended up running the pump from the card, and in the past i had good experience with a 2080TI hybrid running it from the motherboard.
naturian
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 14:39:41 (permalink)
Stan137q
Naturian, I've never heard anyone talk about the upside down pump cable except you. How'd you figure it out? Are you sure it's not just your adapter?

I think because EVGA probably has changed the design the connectors. I look on the back side of the GPU where the GND Pin is and connected it that way, that GND from the adapter is connected with GND from the pump/fan cable. The adapter i bought is this one here: https://www.highflow.nl/aircooling/gpu-coolers/gpu-fan-pwm-adapter-cable-to-normal-4-pin-fan-header.html?sl=en

Looks for me like a typical 4 pin GPU adapter. But it just doesn't fit perfectly on the pump/fan cable because of the minor different connector. But it works. :)
post edited by naturian - 2021/01/22 14:42:51
mrshrir
Superclocked Member
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 14:41:25 (permalink)
naturian
Stan137q

I think because EVGA has probably switched the connectors. I look on the back side of the GPU where the GND Pin is and connected it that way, that GND from the adapter is connected with GND from the pump/fan cable. The adapter i bought is this one here: https://www.highflow.nl/aircooling/gpu-coolers/gpu-fan-pwm-adapter-cable-to-normal-4-pin-fan-header.html?sl=en

Looks for me like a typical 4 pin GPU adapter. But it just doesn't fit perfectly on the pump/fan cable because of the minor different connector. But it works. :)

so basically it must be installed the other way ? does the plastic pins needs to be broken for the pins to fit in the holes ? 
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 14:47:45 (permalink)
mrshrir
naturian
Stan137q

I think because EVGA has probably switched the connectors. I look on the back side of the GPU where the GND Pin is and connected it that way, that GND from the adapter is connected with GND from the pump/fan cable. The adapter i bought is this one here: https://www.highflow.nl/aircooling/gpu-coolers/gpu-fan-pwm-adapter-cable-to-normal-4-pin-fan-header.html?sl=en

so basically it must be installed the other way ? does the plastic pins needs to be broken for the pins to fit in the holes ? 

Yup just 180° turn. You don't need to break it. I've made a little cut out on the adapter so the clip "fits" better. I just did this to fix it. The cable is very tight on the adapter. You just have to push it.. 

you can see the slight difference of the connectors in the manual of the hybrid kit (https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/400-HY-1978-B1.pdf)

this one here should be the right connector if you want to make accurate: https://www.reichelt.com/de/en/arduino-grove-universal-connector-4-pin-10er-bag--grv-connec4pin-p191135.html 
post edited by naturian - 2021/01/22 14:50:19
Stan137q
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 14:52:45 (permalink)
naturian
Stan137q

I think because EVGA probably has changed the design the connectors. I look on the back side of the GPU where the GND Pin is and connected it that way, that GND from the adapter is connected with GND from the pump/fan cable. The adapter i bought is this one here: https://www.highflow.nl/aircooling/gpu-coolers/gpu-fan-pwm-adapter-cable-to-normal-4-pin-fan-header.html?sl=en

I wonder if someone from EVGA  can confirm that the cable is flipped? That's so weird.

Would I damage the card if I connect the pump wrong somehow? Or will the PC just not POST. I'm scared:(
mrshrir
Superclocked Member
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 14:54:17 (permalink)
Stan137q
naturian
Stan137q

I wonder if someone from EVGA  can confirm that the cable is flipped? That's so weird.

Would I damage the card if I connect the pump wrong somehow? Or will the PC just not POST. I'm scared:(

the card , fan and rgb works, you just wont get a signal, this is what i experienced 
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 15:02:14 (permalink)
Don't focus on the upside down flip. EVGA is using a Grove connector on this card. The pin out can be different with a different type of connector. 

Hm.. I don't know what would happen. Either it simply doesn't work or you cause a short. Some people have tried it without flipping adapter 180° and it just didn't work. I just look for the GND because i wanted to be sure. Or you take a multimeter and check the voltage. :) 

The pump is definitely working with the flip. :) 
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 15:10:01 (permalink)
mrshrir
Stan137q
naturian
Stan137q

the card , fan and rgb works, you just wont get a signal, this is what i experienced 

do you get a signal like rpm of the pump when you flipped it the correct way? that's the only a bit annoying thing. Otherwise it makes sense. If the pump would send a speed signal you would be able to control it.. But as we learned the pump speed is fix. So there's no need for a signal. That means that the pump is just connected to 12V and GND. Both PWM connectors are only for the rad fans.
Stan137q
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 15:11:26 (permalink)
naturian
Don't focus on the upside down flip. EVGA is using a Grove connector on this card. The pin out can be different with a different type of connector. 

Hm.. I don't know what would happen. Either it simply doesn't work or you cause a short. Some people have tried it without flipping adapter 180° and it just didn't work. I just look for the GND because i wanted to be sure. Or you take a multimeter and check the voltage. :) 

What color is ground?
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 15:16:32 (permalink)
ground is black. The problem is, that the fan/pump cable is completely black. That's why i took a closer look on the pcb to see which of the pins is ground. that's how i found out that it's necessary to flip the cable. The 12V (red) was next to the ground pin. :)

I should have taken some photos... 
Stan137q
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 15:31:02 (permalink)
naturian
ground is black. The problem is, that the fan/pump cable is completely black. That's why i took a closer look on the pcb to see which of the pins is ground. that's how i found out that it's necessary to flip the cable. The 12V (red) was next to the ground pin. :)

I should have taken some photos... 

Yes that would've been so helpful lol. Thanks for answering all the questions though, really appreciate it.

Now please further explain how you cut the adapter:))
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 15:48:14 (permalink)
Just connect both cables, the adapter and the fan cable, the clip of the fan cable will leave a mold on the adapter. Then I've made a cut and widened it a bit so that the clip of the fan cable snapped into it. It just looks like a slot :) it's not essential for the connection. Both connectors will be tight enough even without the slot.

I appreciate to help you. :)
Stan137q
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 17:31:22 (permalink)
Naturian this is pretty "backwards" to me: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sd

Is this right?
post edited by Stan137q - 2021/01/22 21:42:54
hamnguyen
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 19:29:31 (permalink)
naturian

I got the adapter cable a few weeks ago. The "traditional way" wasn't working. So I gave up and sucked up the pump noise. It wasn't until I came back to this thread and you suggesting to flip it that made me want to give it a try again.

Here I am sitting with the pump at 60% and my system is finally quiet haha thank you!

dalten22
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 133
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 20:51:13 (permalink)
fugly16
kikng
It's really annoying to me, there's definitely a buzz that destroys the silence that was there before.  My computer sits on a desk maybe 4-5ft away  In a quiet room, even with the tv quietly in the background, there's a noticeable "buzz/hum".  I've spent hours tuning my fans so there's no harmonic whines or un-necessary utilization, and I like my system quiet.  The hybrid kit I put on my 3080 is definitely a double-edged sword.  Right now, ambient temp 21.6c, I can run 2025Mhz core +200 Mem, 1.144v while maintaining temps in the 60-74c range (across all sensors) whereas before on air, I would be at 1855Mhz for the same temp range (fans capped at about 1600rpm, .886v).

Everything is housed in a O11DXL with the GPU in a vertical mount. Yes the pump is lower than the top of the rad, and yeah I shook things a bit to get any air bubbles moving.

I bet you can pump that memory up.  I can get +1300 on my xc3 ultra hybrid.

Do you actually get better fps or benchmark scores at 1300 vs 1200? You might think it's running at +1300 but it might be throwing a lot of recoverable errors. 
Stan137q
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/22 21:42:19 (permalink)
naturian OMG it worked!!! I'm so happy! Thanks for all your help. let me know if I can buy you a beer!
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/23 00:15:00 (permalink)
hamnguyen
naturian

I got the adapter cable a few weeks ago. The "traditional way" wasn't working. So I gave up and sucked up the pump noise. It wasn't until I came back to this thread and you suggesting to flip it that made me want to give it a try again.

Here I am sitting with the pump at 60% and my system is finally quiet haha thank you!

Stan137q
naturian OMG it worked!!! I'm so happy! Thanks for all your help. let me know if I can buy you a beer!

Glad to hear that! Enjoy your silent system! 😊
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/27 09:54:44 (permalink)
Today I've tried to connect the rad fans from the mb back to the card. Apperently the GPU's having problems getting the correct RPM of the fans when both are connected via a y-splitter. It's better when only one rad fan is connected but still not accurate. Seems like the fans have to get powered by the mb.. Next time i'll try is to connect both fans separated on the blue and the black jumper card. But I think this won't work due to the hybrid bios probably. 
Stan137q
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/27 12:22:09 (permalink)
Why do you want to connect them to the GPU anyway? I'm trying to do the opposite and connect all the rad fans (cpu/gpu) to the mb to better control them.

naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/27 12:26:29 (permalink)
I want to let them get controlled by the GPU and modify them with a curve just for the "safety" if unpredictable incidents happen, the GPU BIOS says "dude! speed up!" :) via the mb the GPU can run hotter and hotter. only the onboard fan would do the job. so it's just for the safety. But the fans run flawlessly with the mb. :)
shoumpavlis
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/27 20:40:07 (permalink)
Holy crap this is good. I will give it a shot. I too purchased the cable and it didnt work.
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/27 22:03:34 (permalink)
BTW: I swapped the connector for the pump :) now it fits perfectly and I removed both sensor cables because the pump is cojtrolled by DC :)

It looks like this now:

https://abload.de/img/0ba..d-204c-4317-b3mkqx.jpeg

https://abload.de/img/1d6..0-9fbd-45f0-aiuk4a.jpeg
post edited by naturian - 2021/01/27 22:06:49
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10110
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/27 23:21:09 (permalink)
I am glad to hear that people are finding it very quite. Looks like they went larger for the cooler this time and it's paid off since people are probably mounting it higher then the card and running into less issues.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Scottyr6s
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/29 11:32:42 (permalink)
Checking in as someone who ordered the hybrid cooler kit for my 3080 XC3 Ultra and wanted to die a thousand deaths after hearing how annoying the pump noise was.

I ordered an adaptor from Amazon and sure enough, had to flip it 180 to make it work.  A word of warning, if you drop the speed below about 50% the pump may not start up at all.  I've found 55% is enough to make it start every time I boot up, but I set it to 80% in bios and then used Argus Monitor to set a curve that starts at 25%. The temp at idle is 23c.  Gaming for an hour at 1440p, 1905MHz @ 838mV maxed out at 50c in Warzone, all while being so quiet I couldn't hear it over my game.  It's awesome.

This is the adaptor I got:

tobincake1471
  • Total Posts : 60
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/30 05:11:11 (permalink)
Thanks for giving me hope for ditching the 'fridge sound.  To state the obvious, it sure would be nice if PX1 let you control the pump speed... I have the adapter on order and can't wait to get it hooked up.  I'm wondering if I can control it with a spare Commander Pro port via iCue instead of a mobo header.

For those who have disassembled and re-assembled the kit.. how do the thermal pads hold up?  Are you re-pasting the gpu each time you take it all apart? I'm still scarred from how tedious it was to clean everything up during the initial conversion and how shredded the original pads got.
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/30 05:22:08 (permalink)
Scottyr6s
Checking in as someone who ordered the hybrid cooler kit for my 3080 XC3 Ultra and wanted to die a thousand deaths after hearing how annoying the pump noise was.

I ordered an adaptor from Amazon and sure enough, had to flip it 180 to make it work.  A word of warning, if you drop the speed below about 50% the pump may not start up at all.  I've found 55% is enough to make it start every time I boot up, but I set it to 80% in bios and then used Argus Monitor to set a curve that starts at 25%. The temp at idle is 23c.  Gaming for an hour at 1440p, 1905MHz @ 838mV maxed out at 50c in Warzone, all while being so quiet I couldn't hear it over my game.  It's awesome.

This is the adaptor I got:

My pump even works with 20%. But I'm sure it never runs with 12V, pump noise sounds more like 6V to 7V. It sounds really insane and unhealthy on 12V. I run mine from 30% to max 60% (depends on the GPU temperature)

tobincake1471
Thanks for giving me hope for ditching the 'fridge sound.  To state the obvious, it sure would be nice if PX1 let you control the pump speed... I have the adapter on order and can't wait to get it hooked up.  I'm wondering if I can control it with a spare Commander Pro port via iCue instead of a mobo header.

For those who have disassembled and re-assembled the kit.. how do the thermal pads hold up?  Are you re-pasting the gpu each time you take it all apart? I'm still scarred from how tedious it was to clean everything up during the initial conversion and how shredded the original pads got.

It would've been great, but it's obviously unintended. As I said the pump doesn't even deliver the RPM and you're completely build on the noise level.

Thermal Pads look really fine after 5, 6 disassemblies. I've put a little drop of thermal grease on the GPU after the 3rd and last disassembly.

To your commander pro: should be possible, but as I said, the pump doesn't deliver any signal. whether you connect it to your mb and control it via argus monitor or whatever or connecting it to your psu and control it via iCue, the results should remain the same. :)
hamnguyen
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/30 06:08:51 (permalink)
tobincake1471

I never unscrewed the pump screws, so the pump was always attached to my gpu. I unscrewed all the other screws instead since you don't really need to disassemble the entire card completely to get access to the header. My thermal pads show imprints of the components but they never ripped. 
tobincake1471
  • Total Posts : 60
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/30 07:21:33 (permalink)
Thanks naturian and hamnguyen, really useful input.  I might be out of luck as a Gigabyte X570 owner + heavy iCUE user.  I'm poking around and looking at options as I'm waiting for my mini gpu -> 4 pin adapter to be delivered.  From what I've seen so far...
  • The Gigabyte Smart Fan utility lets you create %-based curves, but doesn't support using GPU temp as a sensor
  • iCUE lets you use GPU temp as a sensor, but doesn't let you create %-based curves (only RPMs for custom curves, which will always be 0 here)
  • Argus conflicts with iCUE and causes it to lose control of all of its sensory / fan control
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/30 09:49:34 (permalink)
tobincake1471
Thanks naturian and hamnguyen, really useful input.  I might be out of luck as a Gigabyte X570 owner + heavy iCUE user.  I'm poking around and looking at options as I'm waiting for my mini gpu -> 4 pin adapter to be delivered.  From what I've seen so far...
  • The Gigabyte Smart Fan utility lets you create %-based curves, but doesn't support using GPU temp as a sensor
  • iCUE lets you use GPU temp as a sensor, but doesn't let you create %-based curves (only RPMs for custom curves, which will always be 0 here)
  • Argus conflicts with iCUE and causes it to lose control of all of its sensory / fan control

Only option is Argus then. :/
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile