EVGA

Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Author
tobincake1471
  • Total Posts : 60
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/30 10:00:14 (permalink)
naturian
tobincake1471
Thanks naturian and hamnguyen, really useful input.  I might be out of luck as a Gigabyte X570 owner + heavy iCUE user.  I'm poking around and looking at options as I'm waiting for my mini gpu -> 4 pin adapter to be delivered.  From what I've seen so far...
  • The Gigabyte Smart Fan utility lets you create %-based curves, but doesn't support using GPU temp as a sensor
  • iCUE lets you use GPU temp as a sensor, but doesn't let you create %-based curves (only RPMs for custom curves, which will always be 0 here)
  • Argus conflicts with iCUE and causes it to lose control of all of its sensory / fan control

Only option is Argus then. :/

I'm trying to get iCUE and Argus to coexist but no luck yet.  But!  I have both a Commander Core and a Commander Pro installed, and I was only looking at the CPro in iCUE earlier.  I just noticed that it looks like you CAN create a %-based curve in iCUE with the Commander Core.  I have one extra fan spot on the CCore and am going to try that out.
Rbk_3
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/30 13:05:11 (permalink)
hamnguyen
tobincake1471
Thanks for giving me hope for ditching the 'fridge sound.  To state the obvious, it sure would be nice if PX1 let you control the pump speed... I have the adapter on order and can't wait to get it hooked up.  I'm wondering if I can control it with a spare Commander Pro port via iCue instead of a mobo header.

For those who have disassembled and re-assembled the kit.. how do the thermal pads hold up?  Are you re-pasting the gpu each time you take it all apart? I'm still scarred from how tedious it was to clean everything up during the initial conversion and how shredded the original pads got.

I never unscrewed the pump screws, so the pump was always attached to my gpu. I unscrewed all the other screws instead since you don't really need to disassemble the entire card completely to get access to the header. My thermal pads show imprints of the components but they never ripped. 

Hmmm, I am trying ot picture how this would work. Wouldn't you have to bent the PCB a little to be able to get the pump cable out of the board?

hamnguyen
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/30 16:19:07 (permalink)
Rbk_3
hamnguyen
tobincake1471
Thanks for giving me hope for ditching the 'fridge sound.  To state the obvious, it sure would be nice if PX1 let you control the pump speed... I have the adapter on order and can't wait to get it hooked up.  I'm wondering if I can control it with a spare Commander Pro port via iCue instead of a mobo header.

For those who have disassembled and re-assembled the kit.. how do the thermal pads hold up?  Are you re-pasting the gpu each time you take it all apart? I'm still scarred from how tedious it was to clean everything up during the initial conversion and how shredded the original pads got.

I never unscrewed the pump screws, so the pump was always attached to my gpu. I unscrewed all the other screws instead since you don't really need to disassemble the entire card completely to get access to the header. My thermal pads show imprints of the components but they never ripped. 

Hmmm, I am trying ot picture how this would work. Wouldn't you have to bent the PCB a little to be able to get the pump cable out of the board?

If you unscrew all the screws except for the 4 pump screws that holds the PCB to the AIO, the black shroud separates. I just did that instead. I may also be lucky that the header wasn't that difficult to unplug, so I didn't see the reason to disassemble the entire card completely. 
post edited by hamnguyen - 2021/01/30 16:22:09
vocino
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/30 17:24:51 (permalink)
I'm having the same issue. Should I RMA? Or maybe even return for a full air cooled model?

EDIT: Unfortunately I can't post a youtube video here to demonstrate the sound. :(

naturian
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/31 02:35:46 (permalink)
Rbk_3
hamnguyen
tobincake1471

It didnt work with my card, because the cables of the fan/pump are led between the housing and the ram heat spreader. It doesn't even matter. just put a drop of thermal grease in the center of the gpu and everything is fine.
yaggaz
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1509
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/31 05:14:41 (permalink)
Dabadger84
I am not having any noticeable "noise" issues with my FTW3 Hybrid 3090.  I cannot hear it at all unless I stick my ear almost directly on the exhaust-area of the GPU slots, and even then, it's not that loud.

I know some folks have had bad pump noise, most of those probably warrant an RMA.  One in particular was definitely a bad pump.  But I think the majority of people have not had noise issues thus far.

Hrm such differentials in anecdotes in this thread.  I sure hope mine is as quiet as yours.

Edit: I wonder if your quiet pump represent a true hybrid and the louder ones are feedback on the kit only? 

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
SilverLodestar
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/31 16:20:48 (permalink)
Man, I feel like I really screwed up... I’ve been having noise issues with my 3090 XC3 Ultra Hybrid, so I managed to find this thread. After getting all the components I needed, I disassembled my GPU, unplugged the original pump header, attached the mini GPU-to-PWM cable from there to the mobo, then attached both radiator fans to the mobo via PWM splitter. I managed to also tear a thermal pad or two... stupid me. When I boot to Windows and check temps, it climbs to over 86 before I have to shut it down. Did I do something wrong? Or is there something I need to configure first?? This is really making me panic.
Stan137q
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/31 16:35:56 (permalink)
SilverLodestar
Man, I feel like I really screwed up... I’ve been having noise issues with my 3090 XC3 Ultra Hybrid, so I managed to find this thread. After getting all the components I needed, I disassembled my GPU, unplugged the original pump header, attached the mini GPU-to-PWM cable from there to the mobo, then attached both radiator fans to the mobo via PWM splitter. I managed to also tear a thermal pad or two... stupid me. When I boot to Windows and check temps, it climbs to over 86 before I have to shut it down. Did I do something wrong? Or is there something I need to configure first?? This is really making me panic.

is the pump working? go to BIOS, increase/decrease the pump v to see if you can hear it working. you should be able to, if not you might have plugged the adapter cable the wrong way.
Stan137q
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/31 16:41:42 (permalink)
tobincake1471
Thanks naturian and hamnguyen, really useful input.  I might be out of luck as a Gigabyte X570 owner + heavy iCUE user.  I'm poking around and looking at options as I'm waiting for my mini gpu -> 4 pin adapter to be delivered.  From what I've seen so far...
  • The Gigabyte Smart Fan utility lets you create %-based curves, but doesn't support using GPU temp as a sensor
  • iCUE lets you use GPU temp as a sensor, but doesn't let you create %-based curves (only RPMs for custom curves, which will always be 0 here)
  • Argus conflicts with iCUE and causes it to lose control of all of its sensory / fan control

I use this:https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

It really is robust however you cannot control DC fans (read pump) with this.

SilverLodestar
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/31 17:40:48 (permalink)
Huh, doesn’t look like the pump was even running. I wasn’t able to find much information with Gigabyte’s BIOS, but when it eventually overheated to 97 C, the radiator was still cold. I’ll have to open the GPU again and flip the cable. Is there cutting that needs to be done on the mini GPU connector?
hamnguyen
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/31 18:22:55 (permalink)
SilverLodestar
Huh, doesn’t look like the pump was even running. I wasn’t able to find much information with Gigabyte’s BIOS, but when it eventually overheated to 97 C, the radiator was still cold. I’ll have to open the GPU again and flip the cable. Is there cutting that needs to be done on the mini GPU connector?

The adapter has a cut out for the mini gpu clip. If you just cut out the same size on the other side it should fit once you flip it. 
Stan137q
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/31 18:42:35 (permalink)
hamnguyen
SilverLodestar

The adapter has a cut out for the mini gpu clip. If you just cut out the same size on the other side it should fit once you flip it. 

Honestly though, it's not really necessary. it should fit snugly regardless.
tobincake1471
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/31 19:03:53 (permalink)
Stan137q
tobincake1471

I use this:https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

It really is robust however you cannot control DC fans (read pump) with this.

this looks nice, thanks for linking - will definitely check it out (for stuff other than the pump situation)

herocrusher
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 234
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/01/31 19:09:33 (permalink)
Rbk_3
herocrusher
I just installed my hybrid and it has a loud buzzing noise to it... Tried moving case around to move air but pump is still making a terrible loud noise...

UPDATE: So I got super annoyed with the buzzing pump sound and I shook the hell out of the entire PC... after about an hour of DOOM Eternal the pump noise is almost gone.

I can still here it a little bit but it has improved a lot...hopefully the buzzing goes away completely.

I have had plenty of AIOs that were loud for a bit at first but this Hybrid has been really loud for a longer period of time.

There is hope.

How is it after 2 weeks? 

Pump got loud again after I removed the radiator to install some new fans but it is now pretty much silent again..

"All your base are belonging to us!"
AdventureboyJJ
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/01 02:41:12 (permalink)
Man, mine arrived DOA, in the process of RMA. Was having the issue of nothing on the display showing. Ran 3 dedicated plugs from the PSU, cleared and update BIOS, Cleared CMOS, and Updated windows. Wish they sent it the card with some package peanuts and not the original box with a shipping box over it. Either that the LEDs were nice lol.

CPU: Intel I7 - 8700
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63
Mobo: MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC
Mem: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 - 3200 (2 x16GB)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080 10GB Aorus Xtreme Waterforce
Case: Lian Li 011 Mini
PSU: Corsair SF 750W 80+ Plat
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/01 04:45:37 (permalink)
Have you connected the pump 180 inverted? Ground has to be on left when you look from the top of the card

Just look on the back of the pcb and check the connectors. The square joint is ground. Means that the black cable has to be connect to this joint which is left on the top
pixelcowboy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 213
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/02 20:48:57 (permalink)
Man, my hybrid kit was perfect for almost 2 months and it started making crazy pump noise. I'm about to throw it out of the window. I was super unhappy with how crap the temperatures were in the xc3 out of the box so I switched to hybrid, but now I'm regretting all of my purchasing choices. The noise is brutal. 
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 00:40:11 (permalink)
pixelcowboy
Man, my hybrid kit was perfect for almost 2 months and it started making crazy pump noise. I'm about to throw it out of the window. I was super unhappy with how crap the temperatures were in the xc3 out of the box so I switched to hybrid, but now I'm regretting all of my purchasing choices. The noise is brutal. 

RMA or modding are the only two options you have.. :(
Stan137q
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 09:28:52 (permalink)
pixelcowboy

is it refrigerator style or drowning style?
pixelcowboy
Superclocked Member
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 10:03:46 (permalink)
Refrigerator style. I'm trying to get an RMA but they are taking forever to reply to my emails. 
Stan137q
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 10:33:04 (permalink)
pixelcowboy
Refrigerator style. I'm trying to get an RMA but they are taking forever to reply to my emails. 

Ok firstly, definitely call them instead of emailing. It'll be much faster. Secondly, I don't think your unit is defective, it's just the way they are. You should mod it or return it. I can try to help you if you like.
pixelcowboy
Superclocked Member
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 11:23:41 (permalink)
Stan137q
pixelcowboy

Ok firstly, definitely call them instead of emailing. It'll be much faster. Secondly, I don't think your unit is defective, it's just the way they are. You should mod it or return it. I can try to help you if you like.

Well, it wasn't like that for 2 months. Also, I can hear it now from 2 rooms away. It is beyond annoying. I got the hybrid kit to make my setup quiet as the xc3 stock was sounding like a jet engine and still going over 80c. 
Stan137q
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 11:55:04 (permalink)
pixelcowboy
Stan137q
pixelcowboy

. Also, I can hear it now from 2 rooms away.

Oh ok I retract my statement that definitely sounds like there's something wrong.
naturian
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 12:00:37 (permalink)
pixelcowboy
Stan137q
pixelcowboy

Well, it wasn't like that for 2 months. Also, I can hear it now from 2 rooms away. It is beyond annoying. I got the hybrid kit to make my setup quiet as the xc3 stock was sounding like a jet engine and still going over 80c. 

Can you film the inside of your PC an upload in on yt?
pixelcowboy
Superclocked Member
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 12:02:06 (permalink)
It's not ultra loud, but it does sound like an old refrigerator that you can hear from far way. I don't mind if it's a subtle hum, but it's such a repetivive grinding sound that is really annoying. 
pixelcowboy
Superclocked Member
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 12:09:34 (permalink)
Here it is.

It is louder now than what it was in this video. Like I can hear that repetitive buzzing from my room or my kitchen (tv is in the living room). Granted, it's a small 800 sq foot apartment. 
Rbk_3
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 14:52:16 (permalink)
Ugh, I accidentally bought a female mini GPU cable. Guess it’ll be another month wait
hamnguyen
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 15:24:49 (permalink)
pixelcowboy

It is louder now than what it was in this video. Like I can hear that repetitive buzzing from my room or my kitchen (tv is in the living room). Granted, it's a small 800 sq foot apartment. 

A high pitched whine is what I had, mainly because the pump is at 100% going ham and doing the adapter mod solved it. But it sounds like something is interfering with the pump or making it really angry... good thing you're RMA'ing it.
pixelcowboy
Superclocked Member
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 17:11:09 (permalink)
I wouldn't try the adapter mod just yet as I have a mini itx mobo and don't have any extra headers. 
kraade
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2369
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Hybrid pump noise on the 3xxx series 2021/02/03 17:19:30 (permalink)
sounds like cavitation , Flip that rig.. make the pump the lowest thing in the loop , shake twice and power it up . if it still makes noise , call CS and start RMA
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile