EVGA

GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100%

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 54
Author
FEAReaper
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/03 11:09:25 (permalink)
landerx74
test20090424
landerx74
1923 isn't bad. I decided not to replace my EVGA FTW with another one because I would have been in the same boat as you and would have to send in one replacement after another and I didn't want to do that. One thing that EVGA didn't really realize when they created the FTW and SC cards was how much of an impact GPU boost 3.0 would have.. GPU boost 3.0 basically turns EVERY GTX 1080 into a superclocked or FTW card! There's really no need to have these Factory overclocks in my opinion because it basically pushes one overclock clock on top of another  and then  when people receive the cards  they add a third overclock  and  it pushes the card too much!  Think about this for a moment, the reference GTX 1080 is rated to boost to only 1733 out of the box. So GPU Boost 3.0 basically pushes that to over 1900 in many cases. Nvidia basically designed all of the GTX 1080's to already be overclocked out of the box. It does it for you!! The only Headroom I believe that exists after that is maybe 50 to 100 megahertz if we are lucky. And we're lucky if it will be stable then. Let me tell you how my new non factory overclocked card which is an MSI gaming card compares. Out of the box without any Factory overclock it boosts to 1911 megahertz. I can push it 50 to 75 megahertz higher without it crashing. The biggest difference I found is the cooling. While my EVGA FTW card would always get to 80c my MSI card barely ever gets above 72c. So really the biggest trade off for me really has been the quality of the community in the forums. 😊 

Do you have this black screen issue? If so, then why not just do RMA or get refund?
It's a hardware malfunction, you won't know what upcoming games will crash it.
And about the Boost 3.0, I didn't hear this black screen issue from other brand. Maybe EVGA did some simple mistake somehow.

I had this black screen issue weeks ago. Screen would turn black and fans would spin to 100%. If when I first got it if I chose to replace the card I would have gotten just another defective one in return so I just got a store credit from Newegg and chose an MSI 1080.  EVGA basically just made a major mistake and overclocked these cards too much... Or who knows maybe it was a defective chip on the card or something. It's just interesting that the replacement cards people are getting have lower top speeds.

It's not the clock speeds as even debug mode doesn't fix it for many people, though they do affect it somehow.
sebianoti
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/03 15:07:35 (permalink)
Contacted EVGA the other day and got a reply today about them "maybe" offering covering the cost of shipping, i'm sure it's just poor wording and it will be free, I'm wondering if my new one will hit silicone lottery as well, I was able to hit solid 2.1 GHz but since this issue started occurring I haven't turned the OC on in weeks. 
Slamina
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/03 18:54:08 (permalink)
My 1080 FTW Hybrid I got on 8/26 has been having the same issue in World of Warcraft, mostly when gliding or on a flight path with max view distance maxed out.  The EVGA Support were very professional & nice to me, I'm hoping to have my replacement in next week.  It's nice how with the Advanced RMA I'll have no downtime, just have to reboot once a day or so from this through this week while waiting.  I'll have to try the debug mode you guys are mentioning in the meanwhile.

Even if the newer cards are default boosting 100mhz less, I just hope my new one has no coilwhine & I've fallen in love with the Hybrid and how easy it was to just plug in & go.  35C at 2000mhz and being silent under full load what it's all about!
Overmarsftw
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/03 21:01:30 (permalink)
Hi Guys
My 1080 ftw turned to black screen and 100% fan spin while I was playing F1 2016.  Since there are 13 pages, is there a summary post which I could refer to about steps for RMA procedures.  I am confused about the debug mode and replacement process.  I live in HK, and ordered the card from Amazon on Aug 15 (card arrived in HK on Aug 23).  Thank you very much.

Regards
Stephen Sze
xiionic1
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/03 21:57:20 (permalink)
I RMA'd mine, got a new one, changed nothing, problem gone - CARD FAULT PEOPLE

HawkBat
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/03 22:20:39 (permalink)
Overmarsftw
Hi Guys
My 1080 ftw turned to black screen and 100% fan spin while I was playing F1 2016.  Since there are 13 pages, is there a summary post which I could refer to about steps for RMA procedures.  I am confused about the debug mode and replacement process.  I live in HK, and ordered the card from Amazon on Aug 15 (card arrived in HK on Aug 23).  Thank you very much.

Regards
Stephen Sze

You might be better off just returning it to Amazon for a refund. You are still within their "return within 30 days" policy. They should also pay for shipping back so you're not out of pocket.
fleshworm
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/03 22:30:37 (permalink)
I just wanted to report back that I haven't had any issues!  Thank you, and hopefully it stays that way!

EVGATech_ChrisB
Hi,

I can confirm that it is random and only occurs on a very small number of cards.  Likely you will not be affected and can just game like normal, but if you should receive any stability issues with crashing to a black screen then please enable debug mode in the NVIDIA control panel as a temporary fix and notify us so that we can help you with a exchange of the product.

fleshworm
Before I open this 1080ftw is it possible to verify my card will not have the issue by serial number?

Overmarsftw
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/03 23:08:34 (permalink)
HawkBat
Overmarsftw
Hi Guys

Regards
Stephen Sze

You might be better off just returning it to Amazon for a refund. You are still within their "return within 30 days" policy. They should also pay for shipping back so you're not out of pocket.

Thanks for the advice.  If EVGA could ship me a new version, I am happy to take it.  I will also contact to Amazon as well.
FEAReaper
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/03 23:36:04 (permalink)
Overmarsftw
HawkBat
Overmarsftw
Hi Guys

Regards
Stephen Sze

Thanks for the advice.  If EVGA could ship me a new version, I am happy to take it.  I will also contact to Amazon as well.

I can only speak for RMA within the US, but if you are in the first 30 days since purchasing the card, you can RMA with EVGA directly and receive a new in box replacement, and it would be one of the newer cards with the fix. I had 2 bad cards before the fix, now i got one with the fix fox and it's been working flawlessly for 2 days now.
impervious05
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 02:01:43 (permalink)
I've had this card a week now and I'm experiencing the same issues as everyone here. I'm going to return it to the store tomorrow and get another card. I will try the EVGA one more time I hope it works because I've always owned EVGA and like their warranty.
Iron82
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 02:21:03 (permalink)
Hi Guy's , 
bought the card a month ago , I had the black screen when I overclocked the card (no 100% fan , only black screen) . I tried to play "The Division" , and its all OK. Got the black screen +70 core + 350 vram.
With a 1988 on core and +200vram it still is not crashed (3d mark firestrike uningine heaven and division) . You think you should contact evga ???
 Thanks for help , 

Matteo from Italy
Jordanluke
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 04:36:35 (permalink)
Hi All,

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm having the exact same problem, mainly in World of Warcraft. The crashes have had some curious side affects, too. My whole UI got corrupted and reset, and now it just crashed and messed up my entire install of WoW. Having to reinstall the whole game. 

Also, what I think is strange, is that when I use my old card (780ti) the performance (in WoW) is actually better than the 1080. It's just bizzare. I'm going to put this down to the card being faulty. I returned it to the shop I bought it from and couldn't recreate the issue in testing so now I will have to RMA on Monday when the Europe office opens. Very frustrating but I hear the customer service is good at least. How long does it typically take to get a new card through RMA? I live in the UK
MisterWhale
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 05:45:14 (permalink)
update on my end. Still Waiting for SCAN to Test my 1080 and give me a refund. They received the Card via UPS on Wednesday and haven't done anything with the card yet. Its super frustrating as i haven't been able to really play any games for the past week
Trelor
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 496
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 07:34:25 (permalink)
Whelp, just had the same issues happen 4 times on my GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid.  3 minutes on the phone and I have been approved for an RMA.

Heatware: Trelor - I primarily use eBay which is attached to my heatware.
vaxutopia
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 07:42:55 (permalink)
Hi from Belgium, 

Just got my 1080 ftw card on Friday (LDLC) and it crashed in the middle of COD BO III MP with the black screen + 100% fan speed (no overclock or any modifications).
What a mess, I ve posted a ticket today but I don t know if I should go for another brand (Asus, MSI...) or try a new card.

Don't know if cards with the famous fix are available in Europe (by the way, would be good to know what it is....), how can I know for sure ? .

800 Euro to screw up my free gaming W-E :-(

What is your advice ? another brand or try EVGA European RMA ? 
pwner1984
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 08:03:15 (permalink)
Overmarsftw
Hi Guys

Regards
Stephen Sze

Stephen I'm in HK and this happened to me TWICE - i returned to local distributor.  I recommend you RMA directly with Taiwan or US EVGA.  US EVGA confirmed they rolled out the hardware fix but I am confirming with TW EVGA that they have implemented the fix too.

My sample size is 2, but my theory is:
  1. EVGA 1080GTX's were DESIGN DEFECTIVE (as others have suspected here - inadequate cooling causing thermal expansion of uncooled components malfunctioning causing the 100% blank screen hardware failsafe - it doesn't appear thermal related because these components have no thermalstat - only the core does, e.g. memory and capacitors don't) from FACTORY. 100%, not "a small number" as an EVGA rep has claimed.
  2. EVGA will NOT recall due to cost and reputational damage.  They rather "silent" recall which I suspect they may have done with Newegg, or at the very least, to their credit, did the more responsible thing and stopped supplying their retailers until they can fix it on all their 1080's.  They also rather a small number of us all of us RMA and pay postage costs than to recall for all and pay and replacement postage for all.  Just simple business.
  3. This happens to those who try to OC their card more because of the uncooled components.  For "most" users who don't OC their cards beyond EVGA factory, this may not happen to them at first, but may eventually happen to them as well.  For some of us here, the unlucky ones, the situation was so dire with their particular card that even "stock" EVGA factory speeds caused black screen in LOW intensity applications (but in very specific situations which I think causes that particular component to overheat even more, such as high tessellation or view distance calculations).
  4. I say the above because both my cards were stable when overclocked, however with more frequent use it will black screen more and more.  When I downclock and when I reduce voltage power levels, it will black screen less AT FIRST, but eventually the frequency of black screening will catchup as the thermal expansion of the components continue.  There will reach a breaking point where the card will not even support heat levels generated by stock NVIDIA (debug mode) frequencies.
Conclusion: If you black screen, you will black screen again.  DO NOT RETURN TO RETAILER and just get it RMA'ed at an EVGA office which has CONFIRMED they have implemented the hardware fix.  Returning to retailer will eventually get you to the same place if they haven't sourced the FIXED stock, ESPECIALLY if you overclock.

post edited by pwner1984 - 2016/09/04 08:08:57
zmarchant
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 08:03:43 (permalink)
Just got off the phone with EVGA and before I could even tell them these issues they approved an advanced RMA, free of charge and free shipping both ways.  Sounds like a known issue with this batch of FTW cards.  I thought about returning mine to the retailer as I've had it for 2 days but getting a hopefully verified one directly from the source sounds like a better option than playing the video card lottery with retailers.  Even if I have to wait a bit more.  

This doesn't happen with every game either.  Played CS:GO, SOMA and all sorts of Vive games for hours without issue.  Vive is running right now with no issues going on about an hour.  Skyrim crashes in less than 5 minutes.  Deus Ex crashed in about 20 minutes.  So seems like it's working for some games.  Not sure if it's a specific setting that's causing it or what.  Either way, call EVGA and get it replaced.  
Overmarsftw
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 08:21:34 (permalink)
pwner1984
Overmarsftw
Hi Guys

Regards
Stephen Sze

Stephen I'm in HK and this happened to me TWICE - i returned to local distributor.  I recommend you RMA directly with Taiwan or US EVGA.  US EVGA confirmed they rolled out the hardware fix but I am confirming with TW EVGA that they have implemented the fix too.

My sample size is 2, but my theory is:
  1. EVGA 1080GTX's were DESIGN DEFECTIVE (as others have suspected here - inadequate cooling causing thermal expansion of uncooled components malfunctioning causing the 100% blank screen hardware failsafe - it doesn't appear thermal related because these components have no thermalstat - only the core does, e.g. memory and capacitors don't) from FACTORY. 100%, not "a small number" as an EVGA rep has claimed.
  2. EVGA will NOT recall due to cost and reputational damage.  They rather "silent" recall which I suspect they may have done with Newegg, or at the very least, to their credit, did the more responsible thing and stopped supplying their retailers until they can fix it on all their 1080's.  They also rather a small number of us all of us RMA and pay postage costs than to recall for all and pay and replacement postage for all.  Just simple business.
  3. This happens to those who try to OC their card more because of the uncooled components.  For "most" users who don't OC their cards beyond EVGA factory, this may not happen to them at first, but may eventually happen to them as well.  For some of us here, the unlucky ones, the situation was so dire with their particular card that even "stock" EVGA factory speeds caused black screen in LOW intensity applications (but in very specific situations which I think causes that particular component to overheat even more, such as high tessellation or view distance calculations).
  4. I say the above because both my cards were stable when overclocked, however with more frequent use it will black screen more and more.  When I downclock and when I reduce voltage power levels, it will black screen less AT FIRST, but eventually the frequency of black screening will catchup as the thermal expansion of the components continue.  There will reach a breaking point where the card will not even support heat levels generated by stock NVIDIA (debug mode) frequencies.
Conclusion: If you black screen, you will black screen again.  DO NOT RETURN TO RETAILER and just get it RMA'ed at an EVGA office which has CONFIRMED they have implemented the hardware fix.  Returning to retailer will eventually get you to the same place if they haven't sourced the FIXED stock, ESPECIALLY if you overclock.

Thanks Pwner1984.  I called EVGA US cs and RMA ticket generated.  However, I still need to call EVGA TW office for approval and shipping arrangement tomorrow.  I am more concerned about the shipping cost and turnaround time.  If I was to pay for the shipping fees and wait for couple weeks, I would have returned the card to Amazon.

I followed the tech posts and turned the card to debug mode.  It was working fine, but I didn't test the card longer.  Despite this is an unfortunate event to me, it could be a good customer experience as well.  This is my first time encountering a defective EVGA product, hopefully the after-sales service is up to its brand reputation at User's heart.  
landerx74
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 143
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 08:35:34 (permalink)
zmarchant
Just got off the phone with EVGA and before I could even tell them these issues they approved an advanced RMA, free of charge and free shipping both ways.  Sounds like a known issue with this batch of FTW cards.  I thought about returning mine to the retailer as I've had it for 2 days but getting a hopefully verified one directly from the source sounds like a better option than playing the video card lottery with retailers.  Even if I have to wait a bit more.  

This doesn't happen with every game either.  Played CS:GO, SOMA and all sorts of Vive games for hours without issue.  Vive is running right now with no issues going on about an hour.  Skyrim crashes in less than 5 minutes.  Deus Ex crashed in about 20 minutes.  So seems like it's working for some games.  Not sure if it's a specific setting that's causing it or what.  Either way, call EVGA and get it replaced.  

Amazing to me that people still think it's some kind of a setting in their game or their driver that is causing these issues. This is a hardware defect nothing more and nothing less.
zmarchant
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 08:55:20 (permalink)
Totally agree it's hardware.  My point was that something must be set in certain games that is triggering it while others aren't.  A 5 year old game crashes in 5 minutes but newer more demanding games don't seem to as fast (for me at least).  Definitely hardware, yes.  Just interesting why some cause this failure and others don't.  
Trelor
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 496
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 08:58:17 (permalink)
With debugging mode turned on the GPU doesn't boost so I can at least use my computer until the new card comes.

Heatware: Trelor - I primarily use eBay which is attached to my heatware.
landerx74
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 10:16:46 (permalink)
zmarchant
Totally agree it's hardware.  My point was that something must be set in certain games that is triggering it while others aren't.  A 5 year old game crashes in 5 minutes but newer more demanding games don't seem to as fast (for me at least).  Definitely hardware, yes.  Just interesting why some cause this failure and others don't.  

I hear you. 
test20090424
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 18:01:18 (permalink)
zmarchant

Yes, I'd like to know the root cause too from the technical point of view, not blaming EVGA. Just pure curiosity.
vaxutopia
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 21:50:25 (permalink)
test20090424
zmarchant

Yes, I'd like to know the root cause too from the technical point of view, not blaming EVGA. Just pure curiosity.

Without knowing the root cause; this issue (black screen + 100% fan spd) is difficult to reproduce. It has happened once during COD BO III gameplay but I have difficulties to reproduce the issue. I have tried Heaven and 3Dmark stress test but it doesn t trigger the issue. Which benchmark, stress test is triggering the issue 100% of the time?

I have submitted a ticket and just got the answer to run in debug mode, are we sure that debug mode is 100% proof to avoid this issue ? I didn t spend 800 Euro to be stuck in debug mode.

Thanks,

jarablue
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 23:10:52 (permalink)
This happened to me and within 5 minutes evga offered to replace it AND ship the new card out first while I held onto mine. All I needed to do was upload my receipt from microcenter. Talk about good service! Apparently there is a bug in the boards PCB on cards made prior to Aug 30th. The rep I spoke with was nice and helpful and created the rma in no time. Very professional and quick to get it replaced. That is why I will always choose evga for buying my video cards. Just fast, helpful service.

Thanks for being reliable and dependable when it counts evga!
Rabb02
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 23:17:33 (permalink)
I got my 1080 FTW today and it started doing the blank screen 100% fan speed. I turned on debug mode and it still crashes. 

CPU: Intel i7-6700K
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1
RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 2666 (16GB)
GPU: GTX 1080 FTW
PSU: EVGA 220-P2-1000-XR
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Glen20
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 23:25:30 (permalink)
This started happening to me a couple of weeks ago and thanks to this thread and ChrisB from EVGA my card has just been picked up to be sent back for a replacement, thanks EVGA for great customer support
landerx74
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 23:37:24 (permalink)
Rabb02
I got my 1080 FTW today and it started doing the blank screen 100% fan speed. I turned on debug mode and it still crashes. 

Sorry to hear that. I remember putting in the forums and asking EVGA to issue a recall on all these cards so users like you won't suffer this stupid hardware defect. Since you just got your 1080 FTW today I would return it to the store if I was you and try to get at least store credit and go for an MSI card.  I personally did that myself and got myself a nice MSI GTX 1080 that performs amazingly well and much cooler than the EVGA1080 FTW. This will teach EVGA a good lesson. 😳
landerx74
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/04 23:41:00 (permalink)
vaxutopia
test20090424
zmarchant

Without knowing the root cause; this issue (black screen + 100% fan spd) is difficult to reproduce. It has happened once during COD BO III gameplay but I have difficulties to reproduce the issue. I have tried Heaven and 3Dmark stress test but it doesn t trigger the issue. Which benchmark, stress test is triggering the issue 100% of the time?

I have submitted a ticket and just got the answer to run in debug mode, are we sure that debug mode is 100% proof to avoid this issue ? I didn t spend 800 Euro to be stuck in debug mode.

Thanks,

It's interesting that no Benchmark triggers this issue. I tested this numerous times with my defective EVGA FTW Edition by running numerous benchmarks with Heaven and Valley and 3dmark. Only games for me triggered this issue. It's just so interesting again that the benchmarks don't trigger this and of course all the reviewers on YouTube just basically test the card with those benchmarks. How convenient for EVGA. 😒
post edited by landerx74 - 2016/09/04 23:46:39
EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2039
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/05 00:58:17 (permalink)
Hi Rabb02,

I am sorry to hear that you are seeing crashes with the card in debug mode. I assure you that we are here to help and please email me at chrisb@evga.com with the registered serial number and I will work with you to have the card exchanged.

Rabb02

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 54
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile