EVGA

GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100%

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 54
Author
test20090424
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 07:20:40 (permalink)
chrisalee
test20090424
CoercionShaman
test20090424
Anybody got fixed 1080FTW? Could you please share your BIOS?

If it were a BIOS issue, don't you think they would simply mail it to everyone that has these cards and not be requesting an RMA?

No update info from EVGA, just a try.

Support just got back to me saying they are pretty confident another RMA will fix the issue. Seems to be a hardware issue. I doubt it's a BIOS issue.

Thank you for the info. I wish it were a BIOS issue because RMA will be a very long painful thing for me.
BTW, did the support mention the root cause of the issue?
EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2033
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 09:20:44 (permalink)
Dear vinakro,

I am sorry for any confusion as I assure you that we will work with you to exchange the product without any costs to you.  If you can please email me at chrisb@evga.com confirming your shipping address and I will have your RMA submitted and then send your information to our Taiwan office for further assistance.

vinakro
ImpulsePie
Well I've just received the standard reply from my place of purchase stating that they have to send away to a service centre for every warranty/DOA claim. Which means they'll want to send it back to EVGA anyway, making the process take even longer. Ugh. I just want a working card without weeks of downtime, is that too much to ask for?

Agreed. Can anyone from EVGA comment or provide some guidance to help us out? I want to support EVGA, but I've owned the card for under a week and I'm being told I have not only pay for shipping to Taiwan for an RMA but have to wait several weeks to get something back.

EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 09:24:15 (permalink)
Dear ImpulsePie,

I do recommend exchanging the product with the store for another of the same if this is an option for you.  Please understand that this does not happen with all cards and we can confirm that it is a very small percentage that have any errors. 

ImpulsePie
vinakro
I live in Australia and spoke with the Taiwan support for RMA. They explained that it would take a few weeks to ship to Australia and that Advanced RMA and expedited shipping was not available. Including the time it takes to ship my card there, I'd be without a card for maybe 4-5 weeks for something I've owned since last Friday.

Does anyone in Australia want to share their RMA experience so I can get a better idea? Is there a better solution?

I'm going to be in the same boat as you. It's a shame that EVGA support in the US and Europe is much faster than for us here in Australia. I don't want to be without my card for weeks and weeks on end either. I'm tempted to send it back to where I bought it from instead and get a refund, get a different card. I would like to stay with EVGA, but their legendary warranty service doesn't really extend to us in Australia. If I can't get an advanced RMA, then I will be using my consumer rights with the place of purchase instead.

edoras
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 12:55:22 (permalink)
EVGATech_ChrisB
I do recommend exchanging the product with the store for another of the same if this is an option for you.  Please understand that this does not happen with all cards and we can confirm that it is a very small percentage that have any errors. 

Chris, how safe would it really be to exchange my two cards at the same store for new ones?  I have fear that the new cards would be from the same batch and would exhibit the same problem.  What I don't want to have happen is I go through the exchange hassle and then end up with another bad card (or two).
TheGuz4L
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 13:14:33 (permalink)
edoras
EVGATech_ChrisB

Chris, how safe would it really be to exchange my two cards at the same store for new ones?  I have fear that the new cards would be from the same batch and would exhibit the same problem.  What I don't want to have happen is I go through the exchange hassle and then end up with another bad card (or two).

To be honest, I would exchange them for another brand unless you can somehow guarantee the 'fix' is on the FTW cards.   However EVGA Support has been superb in this matter if you do go the RMA route.
post edited by TheGuz4L - 2016/09/01 13:29:30
CoercionShaman
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1788
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 13:16:14 (permalink)
TheGuz4L
edoras
EVGATech_ChrisB

To be honest, I would exchange them for another brand.  Unless the fix is on the FTW cards, which it won't be unless it was produced after 8/30 you may end up with 2 more duds.

They never once said cards manufactured after 30 August, they said RMA shipments out after that date.  That would be when they figured out what to look for in the cards.  Don't spread misinformation, Guz4L.  There is always a chance, but not every 1080 had the issue.

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?~Stobaeus
TheGuz4L
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 13:20:36 (permalink)
CoercionShaman
TheGuz4L
edoras
EVGATech_ChrisB

To be honest, I would exchange them for another brand.  Unless the fix is on the FTW cards, which it won't be unless it was produced after 8/30 you may end up with 2 more duds.

They never once said cards manufactured after 30 August, they said RMA shipments out after that date.  That would be when they figured out what to look for in the cards.  Don't spread misinformation, Guz4L.  There is always a chance, but not every 1080 had the issue.

Yes but there is still a chance the exchanged cards could be affected.  It's up to him if he wants to take that risk.  Personally I would wait until he can be sure he can get a card with the fix on it.
HitmanVegeta
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 15:11:45 (permalink)
Can someone from EVGA answer to this??? The new drivers are going to fix the issue?? I tried them and also in debug mode. I believe that is not cool giving 850 euro to buy a gpu and underclock it by using it in Debug mode. I think its better to tell us exactly what is the problem with the gpu. And tell it here. What is the solution??
FEAReaper
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 15:18:14 (permalink)
HitmanVegeta
Can someone from EVGA answer to this??? The new drivers are going to fix the issue?? I tried them and also in debug mode. I believe that is not cool giving 850 euro to buy a gpu and underclock it by using it in Debug mode. I think its better to tell us exactly what is the problem with the gpu. And tell it here. What is the solution??

They already did tell us the solution, drivers won't do anything, you need to RMA the card if it is having the issue descibed in this thread. They will replace it with a new card that doesnt have the issue, as they already stated here in this very thread.
HitmanVegeta
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 15:33:26 (permalink)
But i contacted the evga support and they told me to check it with new drivers and in debug mode. They didnt tell me anything about Rma. I only know that if it happened 3 times it will happen again, its a matter of time. So why they dont make us an advanded RMA without trying things??
bjwomack
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 15:46:53 (permalink)
I just received my RMA replacement card yesterday and so far it is looking good. I tested many different games on the old card and of all the games I had installed Shadow of Mordor would crash it the quickest. At 5760 x 1200 and all options set to their highest level the old card would crash in 5 minutes or less. I have played 2 2-hour long play sessions with the new card and it hasn't crashed yet. With the custom fan profile set the new card boosts to 2012mhz and pretty much stays there the entire time, temps never over 60C. Will have more time this weekend to test out other games. Hopefully i got a good card this time.
FEAReaper
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 16:35:31 (permalink)
I know EVGA doesnt wanna tell us what was wrong with the cards, and i get it on the one hand. But my confidence in brand has been shaken and getting a working card will be great, but until we have confirmation on the specific details of the issue, the part that fails, something concrete, I will not be able to truly feel that faith returned.

"It was a failing part, dont worry we fixed it guys, trust us" is just not going to ever be as good as telling us specifically what happened and how they fixed it. People are not always trusting in the word of a company, and when that company tried to avoid giving out information, that creates further distrust. I can see why they are reluctant to tell us, but i feel that the silence is only going to hurt them in this situation as many of those of us on the edge between staying with EVGA or going with a different brand for their 1080, will be more likely to do so if they don't have confidence in the supposed fix. "Just trust us" is not good enough here.
Reiles
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 17:13:07 (permalink)
Good Day Gentlemen,
I am having the same issues.  I purchased my card on 8/29/16 . . three days ago.  I have decided to RMA as I have always had great products from eVGA (going back nine years).  

I will let you know how the RMA'd card fares.  Thank you all for posting here,

-Reiles
test20090424
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 17:37:43 (permalink)
FEAReaper
I know EVGA doesnt wanna tell us what was wrong with the cards, and i get it on the one hand. But my confidence in brand has been shaken and getting a working card will be great, but until we have confirmation on the specific details of the issue, the part that fails, something concrete, I will not be able to truly feel that faith returned.

"It was a failing part, dont worry we fixed it guys, trust us" is just not going to ever be as good as telling us specifically what happened and how they fixed it. People are not always trusting in the word of a company, and when that company tried to avoid giving out information, that creates further distrust. I can see why they are reluctant to tell us, but i feel that the silence is only going to hurt them in this situation as many of those of us on the edge between staying with EVGA or going with a different brand for their 1080, will be more likely to do so if they don't have confidence in the supposed fix. "Just trust us" is not good enough here.

Yes, I agree with you. It's the time to test and tell whether a customer service is truly good or not.
I understand product malfunction happens, but this kind of customer service is just human error, should not be allowed.
stoney2759
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 18:08:00 (permalink)
EVGATech_ChrisB
Dear ImpulsePie,

ImpulsePie
vinakro
I live in Australia and spoke with the Taiwan support for RMA. They explained that it would take a few weeks to ship to Australia and that Advanced RMA and expedited shipping was not available. Including the time it takes to ship my card there, I'd be without a card for maybe 4-5 weeks for something I've owned since last Friday.

Does anyone in Australia want to share their RMA experience so I can get a better idea? Is there a better solution?

I'm going to be in the same boat as you. It's a shame that EVGA support in the US and Europe is much faster than for us here in Australia. I don't want to be without my card for weeks and weeks on end either. I'm tempted to send it back to where I bought it from instead and get a refund, get a different card. I would like to stay with EVGA, but their legendary warranty service doesn't really extend to us in Australia. If I can't get an advanced RMA, then I will be using my consumer rights with the place of purchase instead.

I've got the same issue, to me it doesn't seem like a small percentage of boards having this issue. I just cant believe that such an expensive card like this doesn't have better Quality control measures. No-one spending $1200-1300 on a graphics card should have to wait 4-5 weeks for a replacement. Your country shouldn't have any impact on Service. I'm just hoping that Mwave give me a straight swap, with no headache and hope I don't have the same issue with the new card. Otherwise is sayonara evga. 
fleshworm
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 18:17:13 (permalink)
Any possibility there is a way to verify by serial number that the card doesn't have the faulty part?
Kendragon
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 21:18:27 (permalink)
You guys are scaring me with this one. My 1080 FTW will be here tomorrow. Will be under water when the blocks release. Is it a heat issue? Jacob, is EVGA having some QC problems? MY GTX 980TI HC has been running fine, but I will have to say, if I have this issue even once, I will return to  newegg and get an MSI more than likely.  

Ryzen Threadripper 3960X
Aorus TRX40 Master
XSPC TR4 Cpu block
EVGA 1000T2 psu
64gb Gskill Trident Z neo DDR4 3600
EVGA 2080TI corsair block
GoXlr Mini w/ Schiit Heresy Amp
Asus Hyper M.2 Gen 4 x16 card
Samsung 960Pro 2TB
Aorus NVME 4.0 2tb x 2
Aorus NVME 4.0 1tb x 2
Logitech G915 TKL
Logitech GPro wireless mouse and pad
Massdrop Sennhesiers HD6XX
2-Corsair XD5 pump
2 -xspc 480, 2-BI-L 480
Corsair Obsidian 1000D
http://www.heatware.com/u/107364

ImpulsePie
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 21:50:21 (permalink)
stoney2759

I've got the same issue, to me it doesn't seem like a small percentage of boards having this issue. I just cant believe that such an expensive card like this doesn't have better Quality control measures. No-one spending $1200-1300 on a graphics card should have to wait 4-5 weeks for a replacement. Your country shouldn't have any impact on Service. I'm just hoping that Mwave give me a straight swap, with no headache and hope I don't have the same issue with the new card. Otherwise is sayonara evga. 

Don't know when you plan on visiting Mwave. I can't until early-mid next week, if you get there sooner then let us know how you do. They have PC's on their shop floor that I could easily connect the card to and have it fail within 10 minutes, replicating the failure. I just won't stand for driving 3 hours for them to turn around and say they're gonna send it to Taiwan. I can do that myself, and even then that's not acceptable without an advance RMA.

Speaking of which, still no contact from EVGA. Opened a support ticket, no reponse. Couldn't respond to the first ticket due to a website error each time I hit send. Not an issue on my end either, tried multiple devices on multiple networks. No response to the email I sent either. I'm not calling, as it would be an expensive overseas charge. Really not feeling that legendary EVGA service whatsoever. I'm sure they're getting inundated with RMA's at the moment, but at least a courtesy email would be better than nothing.
post edited by ImpulsePie - 2016/09/01 21:57:18
DeeX
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/01 23:53:42 (permalink)
How can I test this issue?
What games or benches can cause it? 
I just got a card and want to make sure 100% this card has no issues. 
Thanks!
test20090424
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/02 00:22:00 (permalink)
nextgencfl
How can I test this issue?
What games or benches can cause it? 
I just got a card and want to make sure 100% this card has no issues. 
Thanks!

If you read through all pages, you will have a basic idea what games to try.
If you don't want to waste your time, maybe you can send your card's serial number to EVGA support and let EVGA to check. But I doubt this will work.
xdrive82
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/02 07:02:21 (permalink)
ok, i got a new card now, works so far without black screen but it only boosts to 1924mhz without overclocking, my old one went to 2025mhz, feels a little sucky... how much is that in performance anyway and is it considered a bad chip or normal?
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/02 07:54:31 (permalink)
xdrive82
ok, i got a new card now, works so far without black screen but it only boosts to 1924mhz without overclocking, my old one went to 2025mhz, feels a little sucky... how much is that in performance anyway and is it considered a bad chip or normal?

Nope, just different. Overclock it 

TheGuz4L
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/02 08:09:16 (permalink)
xdrive82

xdrive82

My guess is they also fixed the gpu 3.0 boost clocks from going over 2000 at stock and causing crashes on chips that aren't great OCers.  I believe the card is only tested at the rated clocks on the website, 1860 core/5000 mem.  (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Either way, try to over clock it and let us know how the new chip performs.
NxtGenCowboy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 225
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/02 08:47:29 (permalink)
So I'm confused as well. I had this issue and horrible Coil Whine..  Just paid to have the Advanced RMA done last week. Card comes wednesday..   Do I just wait and test the card?  .  Shipped on 8/31/2016  -- Seems I should get the "newer" based card or I guess there is a change I got one from the last stock?
edoras
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/02 08:52:08 (permalink)
I've only ever bought EVGA cards because I thought that they were higher quality than the other options. I'm considering waiting a while for EVGA to flush out the issues and for retailers to pick up stock of reliable FTW cards before risking buying them again... But now I'm wondering if I should actually look elsewhere (e.g., MSI Gaming X).  Interested in thoughts/advice...

EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/02 10:00:42 (permalink)
Dear NxtGenCowboy,

I can confirm that all cards shipping from EVGA on or after 8/30 have been updated to avoid the possibility of any crashing.  This is for new purchases and also for RMA replacements in all regions.  There is no need to worry as you are all set.

NxtGenCowboy
So I'm confused as well. I had this issue and horrible Coil Whine..  Just paid to have the Advanced RMA done last week. Card comes wednesday..   Do I just wait and test the card?  .  Shipped on 8/31/2016  -- Seems I should get the "newer" based card or I guess there is a change I got one from the last stock?

EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/02 10:04:41 (permalink)
Dear edoras,

I can confirm that they are higher quality and that the crashing in question affects a very small amount of cards.  If your card does crash then we are here to assist with shipping both ways and a expedited replacement.

edoras
I've only ever bought EVGA cards because I thought that they were higher quality than the other options. I'm considering waiting a while for EVGA to flush out the issues and for retailers to pick up stock of reliable FTW cards before risking buying them again... But now I'm wondering if I should actually look elsewhere (e.g., MSI Gaming X).  Interested in thoughts/advice...

NxtGenCowboy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 225
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/02 10:11:26 (permalink)
EVGATech_ChrisB
Dear NxtGenCowboy,

I can confirm that all cards shipping from EVGA on or after 8/30 have been updated to avoid the possibility of any crashing.  This is for new purchases and also for RMA replacements in all regions.  There is no need to worry as you are all set.

NxtGenCowboy

THANK YOU!!!!!
ScottJ10
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/02 10:19:20 (permalink)
EVGATech_ChrisB
Dear NxtGenCowboy,

NxtGenCowboy

I assume this is for hybrids as well, as they are also using the FTW PCB? 
HitmanVegeta
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/02 11:16:14 (permalink)
Can someone tell me how much is the collateral money we must give for the advanced RMA??? 
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 54
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile