EVGA

Can't get pc to post after switching cases (EVGA Z370 Classified K)

Author
ebaaa
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2024/10/14 00:10:14 (permalink)
Swapped cases for a friend's PC and it is now not posting. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I could do and scoured the internet for a solution but none has worked. 

It turns on, but doesn't post. While swapping cases I repasted the cpu/cooler (didn't remove cpu). I am getting the code "4C" on the debug screen tho. According to the instruction manual, this is a CPU issue. But all I did was change the paste, I didn't even remove the cpu,  so it can't be bent pins (right?...).
The LED error lights for the memory and the pE4 and PE2 (This is the PCIE slot that the GPU is in) slots are also on. And interesting enough, even tho the debug code is 4C, the CPU debug light isn't on.
I also did test the GPU, PSU, and RAM on a test rig and the test rig was able to boot up with no problem. The only component that I'm not able to test is the CPU since my test rig is an AM4 board. 
The PC did work about a month ago, but was not touched until I swapped it into a different case.

Things I've tried:
Changing from BIOS1 to BIOS2
Booting with only 1 ram stick, and in different slots. Also tried different sticks of ram
Tried a different PSU
Resat all cables and GPU
Double checked for any breaks in the wiring and made sure everything was properly seated
Removed CMOS battery for 10 minutes

Specs:
Board: EVGA Z370 Classified K
CPU: i5-8600K
GPU: ASUS ROG 1070TI
RAM: Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 2x8
PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 Supernova 750W 
Storage: Samsung 980 m.2

Any help is appreciated. About to just buy a new board lol. If that doesn't work, then new CPU as well. Thank you!

4 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30878
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Can't get pc to post after switching cases (EVGA Z370 Classified K) 2024/10/14 05:49:15 (permalink)
    The troubleshooting you did looks solid; I have a few questions & suggestions 

your saying you did not test boot the Rig in old case - before the swap?

Check power to the CPU socket - Again

Are you only using the OEM Cables that came with the PSU?

BEEP codes??

FAQ # 59363,  Motherboard Debug Post Codes
     ANY "C" code = CPU Error
    C4 - OEM BDS initialization codes

Did you test different KB & mice? & Nothing else is connected to PC besides the monitor?

Are any of those metal fingers from the I/O shield inside of one of the ports, possibly causing issues? - see test below, MB outside of case

Did you get over zealous tightening any of the MB mounting screws?

Is there any contact on the back of the MB to the case or an extra brass post, that should not be used.... making contact where it should not?

More things to try:
    Remove all connections between the Case & MB -- then test

IF - you did not keep the heat sink level -- "slowly loosen or tighten (working the X pattern in small steps) the CPU"s cooler fasteners in the X-pattern", then yes... it is still possible to bend a socket pin under the CPU

Sometimes people over tighten the CPU's cooler fasteners, this can cause poor contact alignment between pins in socket & CPU's contacts

Before you mess with the cooler; if after removing all connections between the Case & MB it still does not finish booting ....... place MB on cardboard & try to boot outside of the case ... bare minimum setup:  cpu & cooler, 1-ram

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
    ebaaa
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Can't get pc to post after switching cases (EVGA Z370 Classified K) 2024/10/14 14:53:21 (permalink)
    Correct, I did not test it right before swapping the case. Which I suppose does sound stupid now… My friend did say it was working fine last month, so I did assume it would be fine. This is just a secondary pc he had so he doesn’t really use it.

I checked the cords many MANY times. Probably more than I should’ve (I probably wasted A LOT of time doing this LOL). Every time I touched the pc, I triple checked that all the cables were correct and seated properly.
    They are the OEM cables.
    There is no beeping coming from the board.
    I had nothing plugged into the pc except for an hdmi cable (in the gpu, not the motherboard)
    Motherboard screws are good
    I tightened/loosened the cpu cooler in an X pattern, in a series of small steps.
    I/O shield is good.

I guess the only thing left to try is to boot the board out of the case and check for possible shorts. I really didn’t want to do this because at the end of it all, I was so over it. I was there for hours swapping things out and quintuple checking everything after each step. Taking it all out was the last thing I wanted to do LOL.
    I will try it and report back. Thank you for the suggestions
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30878
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Can't get pc to post after switching cases (EVGA Z370 Classified K) 2024/10/14 16:46:11 (permalink)
    Before you pull the MB from case

---> Remove all connections between the Case & MB -- then test PC BOOT

If your lucky the Case has a bad item, USB, Sound, etc ..........

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

When someone does not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place; you can't use reason to convince them otherwise!
    MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 774
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Can't get pc to post after switching cases (EVGA Z370 Classified K) 2024/10/15 22:20:42 (permalink)
    Only 2 others things come to mind; 1) Any chance a board mounting post was not removed if the board pattern is different than the original? 2) Could the thermal paste be a sliver compound and got on the pins?

That is me in the picture, anyone else ever pet a live Lion?
    EVGA Z390 FTW (Bios 1.08)  i9-9900KF 8 core, 32G Corsair Vengeance LPX Dual Chl 3000 XMP-1 ,  
    Intel SSD6 M.2 2TB, Samsung 840 PRO 1TB / 512G SSD,   Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super , Win 11 Pro 64, EVGA Supernova 1300 watts, NZXT Phantom 820, Strix Raid DLX 7.1 surround, Corsair H100 Liquid , Dell S2417DG /S2409W / Acer XB241H Predator / Samsung C24F390 Curve/ Oculus Rift S VR
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile