PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide

Author
jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 628
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2019/11/03 06:30:16 (permalink)
Figured I would create this guide for correcting stability issues within PC Games and specifically with Call of Duty Modern Warfare... Hope it helps! This guide assumes that your PC is not having any kind of hardware issue, if you suspect a hardware issue or are not sure how to determine if you have a hardware issue please create a separate thread for help. 

The General Windows 10, Nvidia Control Panel Recommendations, General PC Game Recommendations, and Call of Duty Modern Warfare General Recommendations (if applicable) should be followed regardless of current PC stability. Each section after the "General Recommendations" should be followed in the order listed & settings tested prior to moving on to the next section of troubleshooting steps. 

General Windows 10 config recommendations;
These steps are recommended for everyone to follow to improve general PC performance while gaming and minimize the risk of PC stability issues while gaming. 
  1. Check to make sure you are running Windows 10 1903 with all updates installed. 
  2. Run disk cleanup.
  3. Clean up display drivers by running Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
  4. Be sure to have the most recent Nvidia Game Ready driver installed on your PC. 
  5. Be sure to have the most recent Motherboard drivers installed on your PC.
  6. Run the windows "error checking" tool on the system drive and any MISC hard drives that you have connected to the PC. 
  7. Run the following CMD to check Windows for errors, SFC /SCANNOW. 
  8. De-fragment your system drive and any MISC hard drives you have connected to the PC including SSD/NVME drives. 
  9. Disable the Windows 10 Game Bar and Game Mode.
  10. Disable all Windows 10 Capture settings. 
  11. Disable the following services; Xbox Live Auth Manager, Xbox Live Game Save, and the Xbox Live Networking Service. 
  12. Disable Windows 10 hibernation by running the following CMD, powercfg.exe /h off.

Nvidia Control Panel Recommendations;
These steps are recommended for everyone to follow to improve general PC performance while gaming and minimize the risk of PC stability issues while gaming. 
  1. Under "Adjust image settings with preview" select "Use The Advanced 3D Image Settings"
  2. Under "Manage 3D Settings" change the following,
    1. OpenGL Rendering GPU - select your primary GPU from the drop down
    2. Power Management Mode - select Prefer Maximum Performance
    3. Threaded Optimization - select On
    4. Vertical Sync - select Off

General PC Game Recommendations;
  1. Locate the Launcher/EXE/Application in question;
    1. Right click on the file and select properties. 
    2. Select compatibility.
    3. Select change settings for all users
    4. Check disable full-screen optimizations.
    5. Check run this program as an administrator.
  2. Disable any screen capture or streaming software that you may be using.
  3. Try and limit the number of applications running in the background especially applications that use 3D Acceleration, such as Google Chrome, etc. 

Call of Duty Modern Warfare General Recommendations;
  1. Its critical to follow all of the above recommendations before these recommendations. In my experience most "gaming" stability issues are the result of an un-healthy system and not an issue with the game itself.
  2. Within the game under options >> Graphics, change/do the following;
    1. Display Mode - Full Screen
    2. Screen Refresh Rate - Should match monitor setting
    3. Render Resolution - 100
    4. Sync Ever Frame - Disabled
    5. Custom Frame rate Limit - Unlimited
    6. Nvidia Highlights - Disabled
  3. Try and keep your frame rate near 120 FPS. I am not 100% sure on this, but it seems from my experience that high frame rate situations seem to cause the game to crash.
  4. It has also been suggested that "cross play" is causing instability issues for PC players... you can disable this feature from within the game.  

Recommendations For Those Who Are Having General PC Stability Issues;
These steps are recommended for users to follow who are actively experiencing general PC stability issues while gaming and should be followed before moving onto the next section.  
  1. Disable ANY and ALL overclocks even if you think your PC 100% stable. If it lessons the frequency of crashes than your overclock is not stable if it does nothing to help stability than at least you can sleep knowing that your overclock is stable. 
  2. Disable ANY and ALL applications including in game settings that limit frame rate. These applications tend to cause a lot more issues than they solve... If you most limit your frame rate than use EVGA Precision X1 and reduce the power limit of the GPU to achieve a reduced frame rate, this method will greatly improve system stability. 
  3. Disable SLI.
  4. If you are using multiple monitors disable all of them except for the primary monitor.
  5. In the Nvidia Control Panel change the PhysX Settings to CPU. 
  6. If it has been more than a year since the last time you did a clean install of Windows 10, than its time for a clean install. Its important to remember that these major Windows 10 updates such as 1903 are basically the equivalent of going from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the constant practice of installing these updates over-top of each other can cause a lot of issues.  

Recommendations For Those Who Are Having Issue With Call of Duty Modern Warfare;
These steps are recommended for users to follow who are actively experiencing stability issues with Call of Duty Modern Warfare.  
  1. Check Game Files, within the game launcher (Battle Net, etc)  select the option "scan and repair" game files. 
  2. Select restart shaders installation, this will force the game to re-download all of the shaders. Its critical that you remain on the in game menu until the shader download and installation is complete.
  3. Disable Ray Tracing
  4. Disable all anti aliasing settings
  5. Uninstall the game and than reinstall the game re-applying the above recommendations after installation. 
  6. Disable Cross Play, it has been suggested online by a number of users that Cross Play being enable can cause stability issues for PC players. I would disable this setting only as a last resort option.
  7. Limit Frame Rate to around 120 FPS. In some instances it does appear that an overly high frame rate can cause stability issues for PC players. You can try limiting the frame rate of the game by reducing the overall power-limit of the GPU within the EVGA X1 software. I would only do this as a last resort option.

Updated: 11/9/2019
- Reorder sections and added descriptions.
- Added new section " recommendations for those who are having issues with call of duty modern warfare" and relocated some recommendations here.
- Appears that the recent update is changing the render resolution from 100 to 125. I still recommend leaving this on setting on 100. 
- Added disabling Ray Tracing.
- Added disabling anti aliasing.
- Added uninstalling and reinstalling the game. 
post edited by jasoncodispoti - 2019/11/09 07:27:33

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

25 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/03 09:44:22 (permalink)
    Thank you for sharing your Guide

BR awarded

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/03 12:26:20 (permalink)

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/03 17:59:08 (permalink)

Thanks.    

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/05 12:10:59 (permalink)
    Nothing works, the game is broke. The game crashes a lot and the issue is... You guessed it! The game!

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/05 19:55:31 (permalink)
    No problem, happy to help! 

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

geninfo
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 191
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/06 17:19:37 (permalink)
    jasoncodispoti
    ...if it lessons the frequency of crashes than your overclock is not stable if it does nothing to help stability than at least you can sleep knowing that your overclock is stable. 

You still don't know from this if overclock is stable.
    Build may not be stable even at spec:
    Bad component.
    Bad assembly (thermal paste, loose wiring, insufficient air/liquid flow).

Prove stability with hard benchmark (ex: Timespy demo, UNIGINE Heaven) at spec or below.
    Then prove stability with same at overclock.
    Then go back to game.
    SAMOEDADDY
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2718
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/08 09:58:08 (permalink)
    What setting do you have for turning off sniping shotguns?

Thank you for your post!!

"NO SUCH THING AS FUTURE PROOF"
    Be Quiet! Silent Base 802 Black Window * MSI X570 MEG ACE * Amd 5950x * Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC * 64GB DDR4 GSkill * Corsair H115i Pro * Evga Supernova GT 1300 * Logitech G35 * Win 11* Samsung 49" Monitor
    castrator86
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 816
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/08 11:29:34 (permalink)
    My lord you're right. I don't get how they just can't seem to balance shotguns in these games. They're so OP compared to assault rifles and SMGs.

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/08 12:03:28 (permalink)
    SAMOEDADDY
    What setting do you have for turning off sniping shotguns?

Thank you for your post!!

I suspect that those will hopefully along with the foot steps get taken care of soon... 

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/09 07:28:45 (permalink)
    @castrator86 and @samoedaddy looks like the recent update had some pretty significant balancing done to it.  

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/09 07:31:01 (permalink)
    @All I updated the recommendations above... 

Changes... 
    Updated: 11/9/2019
    - Reorder sections and added descriptions.
    - Added new section " recommendations for those who are having issues with call of duty modern warfare" and relocated some recommendations here.
    - Appears that the recent update is changing the render resolution from 100 to 125. I still recommend leaving this on setting on 100. 
    - Added disabling Ray Tracing.
    - Added disabling anti aliasing.
    - Added uninstalling and reinstalling the game.  

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/09 22:00:07 (permalink)
    This might sound funny, but I had the 6178 crash and the way to fix it was to set textures to normal. For online shooters, I set everything to the lowest. Apparently, that was causing my crashes. 
    jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/10 06:34:13 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    This might sound funny, but I had the 6178 crash and the way to fix it was to set textures to normal. For online shooters, I set everything to the lowest. Apparently, that was causing my crashes. 

That sounds like a hardware issue; overheating, bad overclock, or faulty hardware. 

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/11 12:30:12 (permalink)
    jasoncodispoti
    chrisdglong

That sounds like a hardware issue; overheating, bad overclock, or faulty hardware. 

How does that sound like a hardware issue? I literally change a game setting from low to normal and it no longer crashes... Sorry, but it is NOT a hardware issue.
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/11/12 12:27:41 (permalink)
    Also been 2 big patches the past few days,  so they are supposed to help a lot with crashing among other issues...

https://www.reddit.com/r/modernwarfare/comments/dv5h1d/111219_update_details_and_patch_notes/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
    post edited by aka_STEVE_b - 2019/11/12 12:31:03

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Anzomia
    • Total Posts : 7
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/12/02 17:28:00 (permalink)
    Is there any SLI support for this game? If so, how do I go about getting it configured for it. Thanks!
    jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/12/02 17:36:45 (permalink)
    Modern Warfare is a DX12 game and as far as I know DX12 does not really support SLI. It’s honestly not needed and certainly not worth the hassle IMO for this game. What GPU‘a do you have?

Anzomia
    • Total Posts : 7
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/12/02 21:00:38 (permalink)
    jasoncodispoti
    Modern Warfare is a DX12 game and as far as I know DX12 does not really support SLI. It’s honestly not needed and certainly not worth the hassle IMO for this game. What GPU‘a do you have?

Thanks for the prompt reply, just recently got a steal on a second 1080 so I decided to SLI them. I run the game more than fine at 1440p with a single 1080 and average about 80-100 frames but I was just curious to see if I can push that further.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/12/03 10:29:58 (permalink)
    Anzomia
    Is there any SLI support for this game? If so, how do I go about getting it configured for it. Thanks!

You could give this a try... https://forums.evga.com/Nvidia-Drivers-Reportedly-Enable-New-Checkerboard-Rendering-on-MultiGPUs-m3009040.aspx
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/12/04 20:15:46 (permalink)
    The cheating in this game is outrageous, but isn't it in just about every FPS online shooter? It is pretty bad. It is also VERY sad because these are actually people who exist in this world. It shocks me that there are people who have justified it in their mind to live a dishonest life. Why do I say it like this? Because, they don't just cheat in video games, they cheat in everything. These are the scum of the earth.
    jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/12/06 20:01:20 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    The cheating in this game is outrageous, but isn't it in just about every FPS online shooter? It is pretty bad. It is also VERY sad because these are actually people who exist in this world. It shocks me that there are people who have justified it in their mind to live a dishonest life. Why do I say it like this? Because, they don't just cheat in video games, they cheat in everything. These are the scum of the earth.

Its not as bad as I thought it would be... but I have certainly had my fair share of questionable deaths. Problem with this game is that what may appear as cheating could just be a glitch/bug with the game, without a proper spectate mode there really is know way to know for sure. 

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/12/07 11:48:48 (permalink)
    jasoncodispoti
    chrisdglong

Its not as bad as I thought it would be... but I have certainly had my fair share of questionable deaths. Problem with this game is that what may appear as cheating could just be a glitch/bug with the game, without a proper spectate mode there really is know way to know for sure. 

There are guys running around on PC with aim assist... I know because you watch the kill cam and they are snapping on targets. Then, unfortunately, you have to wait till the game is over and go find them in the recent players list. Sure enough, they were on PC.

EDIT: Everyone should have known this was going to happen though. They have cross play in this game. How easy is it to cover up that you are using aim assist in this game? You can't even see if they were on PC until after the match and digging in the menus to find them. Plus, everyone is just going to think, "that guy is just on a console". I had a guy flipping around and snapping on targets yesterday. Plus, of course, you see obvious wall hackers as well. I've seen a more than a few of these guys. There is no radar, UAV, anyway to tell you are there... When I suspect one of these guys. I wait in a corner somewhere and don't make any noise. Sure enough, the guy comes right to me.
    post edited by chrisdglong - 2019/12/07 11:52:29
    jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/12/07 13:18:17 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    There are guys running around on PC with aim assist... I know because you watch the kill cam and they are snapping on targets. Then, unfortunately, you have to wait till the game is over and go find them in the recent players list. Sure enough, they were on PC.

EDIT: Everyone should have known this was going to happen though. They have cross play in this game. How easy is it to cover up that you are using aim assist in this game? You can't even see if they were on PC until after the match and digging in the menus to find them. Plus, everyone is just going to think, "that guy is just on a console". I had a guy flipping around and snapping on targets yesterday. Plus, of course, you see obvious wall hackers as well. I've seen a more than a few of these guys. There is no radar, UAV, anyway to tell you are there... When I suspect one of these guys. I wait in a corner somewhere and don't make any noise. Sure enough, the guy comes right to me.

Cheating happens in all online games regardless of system being used... I really dont think its that bad from what I have seen thus far. Like I said above its very hard to tell what is actual cheating and what is not, kill cam really does not tell you much and if you switch over to hard core there is no kill cam. 

dc8flyer
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 558
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/12/12 23:27:49 (permalink)
    chrisdglong

I've had a few crashes and here is what fixed my issue, I suspect.

FPS is the least important factor with my gaming. I want great visual quality and I get that at a set 72 fps on MW.

I adjusted the FPS to 72 which is half my monitor refresh rate.
    Monitor set to 144hz. This improves visual quality better than higher FPS.
    V-sync off and g-sync off.
    All other settings set to max.

OC at 1200 memory, GPU clock at 140, Power target at 130 percent, voltage at 95 percent.

Runs smooth and card runs a few degrees cooler as well by not having to pump out useless extra FPS.

2009 Alienware Aurora x58
    i7 990x oc to 4.14
    Three ASUS ROG PG278Q Black 27" WQHD 2560 x 1440 - 144 Hz 1ms (GTG) NVIDIA G-Sync Gaming Monitors
    RTX 2080ti EVGA Black XC oc 1250/160 with 456.55
    CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 memory
    2TB 860evo SSD
    Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 Water/Liquid CPU Cooler
    Two 120mm push/pull NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM Fan with Focused Flow
    Windows 10 - always the latest
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: PC Game & Call of Duty Modern Warfare Troubleshooting Guide 2019/12/13 07:09:41 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    jasoncodispoti
    chrisdglong

MOST all online, competitive games are going to have their share of hackers .... COD is no exception but it is probably easier in this game because they really haven't changed/ updated the core engine in like 2 years now. 
     The hackers have an easier time writing the hacks when the base code is so very familiar....
    I am not sure if being on BLizzard/ Battlenet has helped it to increase or decrease the severity though .?

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile