EVGA

AnsweredHow do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one?

Author
Without Value
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/05/16 19:01:52 (permalink)
Hey guys,

I'm buying an Evga Gtx 1070 8Gb FTW Edition for $220 from a guy on facebook tomorrow. I'm told it's new and he obtained it "brand new from Evga's replacement department and this is not a refurbish so it's brand new/unused and the seal is still intact". Was wondering what I should look out for to make sure it's not a refurbished item, used or busted up. He also posted a couple pictures of it, it doesn't have the original retail box but it is in an EVGA box that is sealed. He also has a screenshot of the email that says "EVGA RMA Approved" along with the RMA number, product number and serial number.

Might be a silly question but I just want to make sure I don't get ripped off,
Thanks for looking!
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2019/05/16 19:04:29 (permalink)
That is a re-certified card. It isn't brand new.
TwoEvilOne
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 716
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2019/05/16 19:09:28 (permalink)
if you have the serial # you can call evga 1-888-881-3842 and they will tell you all about it warranty info included.
EVGA is the best when it comes to customer service, weather new or used customer.

Register your EVGA product with my affiliate code: LDCH3LNSPA
Check out my MODS RIGS view my system , and +1  TwoEvilOne's Stormbreaker .  Click here to become an EVGA elite member than an Associate. My 3090 Kingpin 3DMark Port Royal Score: 15,239[/alig
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2019/05/16 19:37:39 (permalink)
Sajin
That is a re-certified card. It isn't brand new.

Not necessarily. It could be brand new. But, more than likely, it is recertified. Finding out the serial number and asking EVGA whether it is new or recertified is the most sure way of knowing.

It makes zero difference in the grand scheme of things. So, why are you asking? Either the card will work or it won't. It's not like you are going to buy it as a museum piece. If it doesn't work, you get it replaced under warranty.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

RobertC
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2019/05/16 19:54:25 (permalink)
Hello there,

To answer the main question, No, it would most likely be a factory certified unit as the 10 series cards are no longer produced. 
The main thing to look for on "NEW" units is the production packaging. If the unit is brand new from us it would come in production packaging and not our brown OEM Logo box.
Second-hand units can be very lucrative in the money that can be saved but, they have fallbacks like warranty and the unit being used. 
The biggest thing to be concerned about is the warranty time period left on the products.
With our second-hand warranty, the warranty follows the original product.
There have been instances where someone sells a unit as brand new and then months down the road, the customer finds out the unit is out of warranty. 
Again if you have questions on the warranty, and you have a serial number we can let you know when the warranty time period ends. (888-881-3842)
Also, try to get something in writing as a bill of sale so we can show the unit was sold by the previous owner. 
Hope this helps you and others on the forums. 

If there are questions on second-hand warranties or on used units feel free to call us up. 

Regards,
Robert C. - EVGA Customer Service
RobertC
EVGA Alumni
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2019/05/16 19:56:46 (permalink)
TwoEvilOne
if you have the serial # you can call evga 1-888-881-3842 and they will tell you all about it warranty info included.
EVGA is the best when it comes to customer service, weather new or used customer.

The Customer called in thanks for the assist!!! 
Without Value
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2019/05/16 20:46:57 (permalink)
Talked to Robert on the phone, he explained very clearly that it was a refurbished item and how I can avoid possible events like this in the future. He also explained a couple other cards that were similar that I might be interested in and could take a look at if I were to buy new or used from a different person.

Thank you very much Robert for your help and because of you and the others on the forum who quickly answered and solved my problem you gained me as a customer and my next card will for sure be an EVGA one!
post edited by Without Value - 2019/05/16 21:05:01
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2019/05/16 21:06:36 (permalink)
Thanks for the Update

You can use Anyone's Associate Code and save if you buy on EVGA.com --> then you will know it is New

GPU currently would have a 5% discount with the use of a Code

Attached Image(s)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10103
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2019/05/16 21:49:42 (permalink)
I think in this case the low price kind of shows that it's a used product probably out of warranty or with issues. The card used goes for about $220 so it's unlikely to find it brand new for $220. It's important that when you do buy used stuff like this you know how to spot someone making false claims about the item and be careful about the place you meet to do the transaction. It's best to take a look around for anything that doesn't feel right and if you don't feel safe it's best to walk away from the deal.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

RobertC
EVGA Alumni
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2019/05/16 21:57:57 (permalink)
Without Value
Talked to Robert on the phone, he explained very clearly that it was a refurbished item and how I can avoid possible events like this in the future. He also explained a couple other cards that were similar that I might be interested in and could take a look at if I were to buy new or used from a different person.

Thank you very much Robert for your help and because of you and the others on the forum who quickly answered and solved my problem you gained me as a customer and my next card will for sure be an EVGA one!

Glad I could help. 
Here at EVGA, there are others here like me and better who are happy to help around the clock. 

Maximus Panin
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2023/02/22 19:57:09 (permalink)
What can you say about this card ?

Removed s/n number.
post edited by EVGATech_LeeM - 2023/02/23 09:56:37

NZXT Panzerbox • Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 • i7 870 @ 2.93GHz • Corsair 850W • Zalman CNPS 10X Flex + Noctua NF-P12 • Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 (12800) 16Gb • EVGA RTX 3060 XC GAMING (12GB) • SSD GoodRam 240, WD 1TB, SSHD 2TB • TC 2TB • Antelope Audio Zodiac • Windows 10 Pro 64х
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2023/02/23 00:18:30 (permalink)
Maximus Panin
What can you say about this card ?

https://www.evga.com/warranty/check.asp

Use that page, and contact EVGA is you need more assistance.

Removed s/n.
post edited by EVGATech_LeeM - 2023/02/23 09:56:59
Maximus Panin
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2023/02/23 08:16:16 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one, I have no way to contact evga, I'm not from USA.

post edited by EVGATech_LeeM - 2023/02/23 09:56:11

NZXT Panzerbox • Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 • i7 870 @ 2.93GHz • Corsair 850W • Zalman CNPS 10X Flex + Noctua NF-P12 • Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 (12800) 16Gb • EVGA RTX 3060 XC GAMING (12GB) • SSD GoodRam 240, WD 1TB, SSHD 2TB • TC 2TB • Antelope Audio Zodiac • Windows 10 Pro 64х
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2023/02/23 08:30:40 (permalink)
https://www.evga.com/warranty/graphics-cards/

Then select the service area  -- for your part of the world

Look at the last Two digits of the (EDIT) --> part number

If it has a 3 year warranty .... it was Retail at one point (new)

However - buying from a non in network source ... your considered the Second owner --- warranty started the DATE it was originally sent from the in network provider

(North America Rules, excerpt)

Transferable Limited Warranty (Second-Hand Purchasers)

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, the Transferable Limited Warranty is available to second-hand purchasers with a valid proof of purchase of the transaction between the current owner and the previous owner.* A second-hand purchaser is defined as someone who purchases an EVGA product from an unauthorized reseller. The limited warranty on any Product which was originally shipped from EVGA or an Authorized Reseller as a demo or prize is not transferable to second-hand purchasers and is not covered by the Transferable Limited Warranty.
Products shipped from EVGA as warranty replacements will be subject to this Transferable Limited Warranty, provided that the original Product was shipped from EVGA on or after July 1, 2011 and has a qualifying Transferable Limited Warranty suffix. Warranty replacements retain the limited warranty characteristics of the original Product, which will be used to determine the original purchase date and/or ship date.
The length of the Transferable Limited Warranty is determined by Product according to the suffix associated with each Product's identification number as set forth below and will be measured beginning from the Product's original date of shipment from an EVGA online store, EVGA's official eBay store, or EVGA's official Amazon Marketplace store:
  • 3 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX, -KR, -K1, -K2, -K3, -K4, -K5, -KB, -KA, -KF, -KH, -KL, -KM
  • 2 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -LA, -LE, -LR, -L1, -LX, -T1, -T2, -TR, -TX
Products described by the following suffixes are not covered by the Transferable Limited Warranty: -B1, -BH, -BR, -BX, -DR, -RX, -R2, -RB, -RL
*For more warranty information about original and second-hand purchases, please see our FAQ here.

post edited by Cool GTX - 2023/02/23 12:24:26

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2023/02/23 11:40:52 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2023/02/28 10:44:29
Removed the serial number, as people can register and cause you warranty problems.

I think Cool GTX meant the last two digits of the part number, but that's not always the case.

@Maximus Panin - This would be a recertified card.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: How do I make sure I'm buying a new item and not refurbished one? 2023/02/28 10:49:15 (permalink)
https://www.evga.com/warranty/check.asp

Enter a valid serial number to check the warranty status of the product
This tool checks the warranty status based on the ship date from EVGA*

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile