EVGA

Helpful ReplyEventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti

Author
Simon771
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/02 02:02:11 (permalink)
Since 20th February I'm experiencing a lot of 4101 event IDs, and game crashing. I'm playing Black Desert Online like any other day, and all of the sudden my screen start showing some weird colored objects all over my game, like some weird fireworks.
When I check at Event Viewer I noticed there is always 4101 event recorded, when something like this happens. At first I wanted to blame the game, since it did get an update right on 20th of February, but no other players seems to have same problem. Then I tried to test with valley benchmark, and same thing happens. 
I tried to rebuild nvlddmkm driver many times, and in the end I decided that installing Windows all over again, might do the trick, if there are some problems with old drivers still left on the system somewhere. (before that I also tried to use DDU few times ... din't help at all).
So with new Windows, there is still same problem. While looking around EVGA forum, I found some threads, where users tried to down-clock card, to get rid of the problem. In my case that's also the only solution to those problems. 
When I set power limit to 70% instead of 100%, problem seems to go away ... at least so it seams now after 2 days of running GPU on max 70% power limit.

My GPU: GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Motherboard: Z370 matx EVGA
CPU: i5 8600k
RAM: XPG something
PSU: RM650X corsair

Keep in mind that I also tried to set all motherboard settings to default (no OC), and that didn't help either.
I tried to use my backup GPU (if you can call it so), and there is no problem with it.
If PSU would be failing, entire system should shut down, not just crash some driver ... at least I think so. PSU is about 2-3 years old, and never had any problems with it. Sadly I don't have any spare GTX 1080 Ti or other GPU that can use so much power, to test it, but like I said, if PSU would fail, entire PC would shut down.
Is there anything else I can do except returning card and requesting new one? Are there even any more of GTX 1080 Ti in stock in EU warehouse? I'm kinda afraid of sending GPU back for RMA, because my previous experience was horrible.

Intel i5 8600k 5.0GHz | EVGA Z370 Micro ATX | Dark Rock 3 | ADATA XPG Z1 3000MHz 32GB | RM650x | GTX 1080 Ti EVGA SC2 | Thermaltake Core V21
Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HyperX Fury 480GB | 3x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans
WD My Cloud 4TB
Simon771
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/02 02:41:37 (permalink)
I also tried different Nvidia drivers, different combination of cables from GPU ... tried two use 2 cables, and then only one cable. Switched to other input on PSU.
With new Windows I also reinstalled BDO game, without any of my previous settings.
Every single time I get same result.

If I set power limit to 100%, it takes like 30min for it to crash, but if I set power limit to 120% in EVGA OC utility, it will crash in like 10 sec after I apply higher power limit.
Only other thing that I haven't tried yet is GPU firmware/BIOS update, but I don't feel safe doing that, since this card doesn't have dual BIOS.

During testing, I always monitored all PC temps. GPU didn't go beyond 75°C, and memory/VRM on GPU also didn't go above that temperature.
CPU, motherboard VRM, SSD temps, and all other sensors didn't show any alarming or critical temperature. 

Uninstalling any kind of GPU software (GPU-Z, afterburner, rivaturner ...) didn't get me any better results either.
post edited by Simon771 - 2019/03/02 02:44:40

Intel i5 8600k 5.0GHz | EVGA Z370 Micro ATX | Dark Rock 3 | ADATA XPG Z1 3000MHz 32GB | RM650x | GTX 1080 Ti EVGA SC2 | Thermaltake Core V21
Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HyperX Fury 480GB | 3x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans
WD My Cloud 4TB
dudenoway
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/02 14:40:45 (permalink)
I've also been having this issue big time. We almost have the exact same issue.

Setting Power Target up increases the likelihood  of this issue. Turning up voltage also increases the likelihood big time.
No overclocking whatsoever can be done. Not even 1mhz from what I can tell.

I had an RMA, but my issue still occurs on the new card. I also reinstalled Windows 10.

I tried 418.xx and 417.xx drivers. Some games suffer from this significantly more than others.
Anthem, for example, wont run longer than 5 minutes before this happens.
BFV will see this issue randomly as well.

Every single time the game crashes, I see in Event Viewer "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I have absolutely no idea how to determine what my issue source is. I personally am under the impression that the card I was given as an RMA (which obviously is a refurb product) was used heavily as a mining card, or something. 

Did you happen to record a video or take any photos of what your screen looks like? Does it look like bright sparkles or something in the game? Ace Combat 7 was a serious issue for my card. I couldn't play it even on default OC/power target settings. I would see sparkles and sometimes I would have a massive crash where I get blocks of colors, like a memory failure and the buffer gets corrupt and then the entire system crashes.

Let me know. I've seen various people here with issues similar.

post edited by dudenoway - 2019/03/02 14:52:46
JacobB
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 522
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/02 14:47:23 (permalink)
Hello,

By chance, have you changed the Power Management Mode from its default setting of "Optimal Power", to "Prefer Maximum Performance" in Nvidia control panel?
Additionally, do you have any overclocks done to your CPU by chance? I would also recommend that you check the 12v rail on your PSU. If this is fluctuating, or out of spec, this can cause issues. See FAQ on how to do so, here: Checking your 12V rail

-Jacob B.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/02 15:12:11 (permalink)
Sounds like the video card has become unstable. Can you test the card in another pc to see if the issue also occurs in another known good working pc?
chicol1090
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/03 14:37:09 (permalink)
EVGATech_JacobB
Hello,

By chance, have you changed the Power Management Mode from its default setting of "Optimal Power", to "Prefer Maximum Performance" in Nvidia control panel?
Additionally, do you have any overclocks done to your CPU by chance? I would also recommend that you check the 12v rail on your PSU. If this is fluctuating, or out of spec, this can cause issues. See FAQ on how to do so, here:

-Jacob B.

I'm having the same issues as the OP, also starting right after the game's patch on the 20th.

Jacob, could you clarify changing the power management mode from "optimal power" to "prefer maximum performance"? I have been experiencing this issue with "optimal power".

Thanks
JacobB
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 522
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/03 15:34:53 (permalink)
chicol1090
EVGATech_JacobB
Hello,

Additionally, do you have any overclocks done to your CPU by chance? I would also recommend that you check the 12v rail on your PSU. If this is fluctuating, or out of spec, this can cause issues. See FAQ on how to do so, here:

-Jacob B.

I'm having the same issues as the OP, also starting right after the game's patch on the 20th.

Jacob, could you clarify changing the power management mode from "optimal power" to "prefer maximum performance"? I have been experiencing this issue with "optimal power".

Thanks

Of course!

>Right click your desktop, and open Nvidia Control Panel.
>Under "Manage 3D Settings", you will look for an option labeled "Power management mode" in the global tab.
>Change the setting from "Optimal Power" to "Prefer Maximum Performance".
>Hit "Apply" at the bottom right of the window.
>Restart your system, and see if the issue gets resolved.

Hope this helps out!

-Jacob B.
Simon771
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/05 10:38:42 (permalink)
dudenoway
I've also been having this issue big time. We almost have the exact same issue.

Setting Power Target up increases the likelihood  of this issue. Turning up voltage also increases the likelihood big time.
No overclocking whatsoever can be done. Not even 1mhz from what I can tell.

I had an RMA, but my issue still occurs on the new card. I also reinstalled Windows 10.

I tried 418.xx and 417.xx drivers. Some games suffer from this significantly more than others.
Anthem, for example, wont run longer than 5 minutes before this happens.
BFV will see this issue randomly as well.

Every single time the game crashes, I see in Event Viewer "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I have absolutely no idea how to determine what my issue source is. I personally am under the impression that the card I was given as an RMA (which obviously is a refurb product) was used heavily as a mining card, or something. 

Did you happen to record a video or take any photos of what your screen looks like? Does it look like bright sparkles or something in the game? Ace Combat 7 was a serious issue for my card. I couldn't play it even on default OC/power target settings. I would see sparkles and sometimes I would have a massive crash where I get blocks of colors, like a memory failure and the buffer gets corrupt and then the entire system crashes.

Let me know. I've seen various people here with issues similar.

I didn't realize that EVGA was shipping refurbished GPUs back to customers that had problems with previous cards. One more reason, why I don't like sending GPU back. Last time I sent my GPU back to store where I bought it from, they just returned me 45% of my payment. I was left without GPU, and only 45% money back ... for that money I couldn't buy any used GPU in that performance rank. That's why I'm afraid to send GPU back this time also.
Now knowing that I would get refurbished GPU, that might have been used for heavy mining for who knows how long time ... makes my decision even harder.

EVGATech_JacobB
Hello,

Additionally, do you have any overclocks done to your CPU by chance? I would also recommend that you check the 12v rail on your PSU. If this is fluctuating, or out of spec, this can cause issues. See FAQ on how to do so, here: Checking your 12V rail

-Jacob B.

Yeah I tried that also, and didn't help with my problem. It's still happening.
I also monitored voltages reading from HWinfo ... it seems to be withing it's specs.

Sajin
Sounds like the video card has become unstable. Can you test the card in another pc to see if the issue also occurs in another known good working pc?

Sadly I don't have any other PC around and I don't want to test it on my work PC ... I just don't want to risk getting fired because of something like this.

I'm also attaching link of video, how my problem looks like: https://youtu.be/ROvVmJVUA-8
Keep in mind that I did set power limit to 120% for this test, because when I do so, it will crash very fast. If I let it be on 100% by default, it might take 20min, 1 hour or 2 hours.

WD My Cloud 4TB
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/05 10:49:48 (permalink)
Yep, looks like an unstable video card. Time to rma.
Simon771
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/05 22:04:21 (permalink)
Sajin

Do you maybe have any information about RMA procedures, and what kind of card we get in return when applying for RMA? Is it true that we get refurbished cards?
Also there aren't any GTX 1080 Ti in stock as far as I know. At least not in EU warehouse from EVGA. 

WD My Cloud 4TB
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/05 22:27:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Simon771 2019/03/06 02:14:19
Simon771
Sajin

Do you maybe have any information about RMA procedures, and what kind of card we get in return when applying for RMA? Is it true that we get refurbished cards?
Also there aren't any GTX 1080 Ti in stock as far as I know. At least not in EU warehouse from EVGA. 

More than likely yes you will get a refurbished card. They are no longer manufacturing 1080 Ti.  The RMA procedures are clearly spelled out on the RMA page.
https://www.evga.com/warranty/rmaprocess/
I don't believe there are that many mining GPU's out there turned in for RMA. Even so, many run them underclocked and undervolted. Your other option is to stick with an unstable GPU...or maybe hold out long enough they run out and you get a  Turing...

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/06 00:01:22 (permalink)
^ What hemi said.

EVGA will also replace your gpu with an equal, or better performing card.
post edited by Sajin - 2019/03/06 00:03:26
Simon771
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/06 02:16:39 (permalink)
Sajin
^ What hemi said.

Well for now I think I will just limit it to 70% power limit, and will apply for RMA somewhere in May this year, when I will go on 2 weeks long trip, so I won't be without GPU once again for like 2 weeks. Unless I'm obliged to send my card to RMA right after I find out about some problem with it (aka sending it right now).

WD My Cloud 4TB
dudenoway
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/06 10:16:15 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Simon771
Sajin

More than likely yes you will get a refurbished card. They are no longer manufacturing 1080 Ti.  The RMA procedures are clearly spelled out on the RMA page.
I don't believe there are that many mining GPU's out there turned in for RMA. Even so, many run them underclocked and undervolted. Your other option is to stick with an unstable GPU...or maybe hold out long enough they run out and you get a  Turing...

I was under the assumption that, at the time, Ethereum was the primary mined coin, which was heavy on the MEM and ran at a very high TDP.

Thus you were burning through at high temps, high TDP, high W, and memory was getting used/abused significantly (in many cases, increases MEM clock +400-500 or so would render you a 10% performance increase in ETH mining).

This is just what I recall from that time last summer. Couldn't this cause issues with the memory chips down the road? And if someone submitted an RMA, would EVGA test and replace these memory chips?
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/03/06 12:23:51 (permalink)
dudenoway
HeavyHemi
Simon771
Sajin

I was under the assumption that, at the time, Ethereum was the primary mined coin, which was heavy on the MEM and ran at a very high TDP.

Thus you were burning through at high temps, high TDP, high W, and memory was getting used/abused significantly (in many cases, increases MEM clock +400-500 or so would render you a 10% performance increase in ETH mining).

This is just what I recall from that time last summer. Couldn't this cause issues with the memory chips down the road? And if someone submitted an RMA, would EVGA test and replace these memory chips?

Correct running higher memory and low core clocks. I don't see that as a longevity issue anymore than you would with overclocking PC memory. They are not running them to the point of inducing memory errors as that would defeat the point of mining.  I don't get your RMA question.  If you send in an RMA they don't test the GPU core or the memory chips for replacement. They replace the entire GPU. 

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Hot12345
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/12/20 15:05:03 (permalink)
Simon771
Sajin
^ What hemi said.

Well for now I think I will just limit it to 70% power limit, and will apply for RMA somewhere in May this year, when I will go on 2 weeks long trip, so I won't be without GPU once again for like 2 weeks. Unless I'm obliged to send my card to RMA right after I find out about some problem with it (aka sending it right now).

Did you managde to fix this issue? Having the same problem as you.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/12/20 18:03:15 (permalink)
Hot12345
Simon771
Sajin
^ What hemi said.

If you're having identical issues the solution would be the same. RMA.

Hot12345
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2019/12/21 04:52:18 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Hot12345
Simon771
Sajin
^ What hemi said.

If you're having identical issues the solution would be the same. RMA.

Did you RMA it? Did it solved after you RMA it? Did you recieved an refurbished one?
Billzabub
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2020/09/08 10:51:17 (permalink)
I have same problem and suspect a PSU issue - but would really like to debug - the 1080 Ti card worked fine in another Windows 10 machine - so I suspect the PSU

(I already hate the PSU as I get coil whine when the GPU is working hard)

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING, 11G-P4-6393-KR, 11GB GDDR5X
ASUS Z170M-PLUS LGA 1151 Intel Micro ATX
EVGA 750 GQ 210-GQ-0750-V1 80+ GOLD 750W Semi Modular EVGA ECO Mode Power Supply (Coil Whine during GPU intensive tasks)

I have just set the NVidia 3D Settings from "Optimal Power", to "Prefer Maximum Performance" in Nvidia control panel - but what is the reasoning for why this would help please?
That turns off adaptive voltage ... so will be giving card full power all the time now... why should that help..?

Anyway I will try it out and see if that changes behaviour (crashes in games after 30-50 minutes - sometimes with recover - sometime all the way to system power down and restart)

Billz
Billzabub
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2020/09/08 11:18:40 (permalink)
I just did a test - didn't crash completely - stalled / froze for a while and recovered- but same issue:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Application log said this:
Fault bucket 2277907018779678808, type 5
Event Name: D3DDRED2
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
Problem signature:
P1: VEN_10DE
P2: 27.21.14.5206
P3: 0x887A0006
P4: 3
P5: Wow.exe [Yes!! I am playing World Of Warcraft :) ]
P6: 8.3.7.35662
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Any other advice please?

I could swap out the 750 EVGA PSU for a 600W Seasonic ... ugh... not sure what else to try...
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2020/09/08 14:44:24 (permalink)
@billz

Probably best to start your own thread. Since the card worked fine in another system clearly something else in your system is causing the problem.
mdc4115
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2020/09/09 18:33:53 (permalink)
I am having similar issues with the 1080ti kingpin. I have RMA'd 3 times so far and will end up having to do it a 4th. The latest card when received worked fine for a month, then games started crashing.

I have tested in another system and the crashes happen there as well. I have swapped graphics cards from the systems and the problem only happens where this card is. When I received this last replacement the card worked fine. No issues whatsoever. It played games great. Now I can barely play games even underclocked. Another component could not be causing this issue. The Seasonic power supply is new, it was replaced a couple RMAs ago to see if that was the issue and it was not. As well as the Asus Z390-H. I've practically rebuilt a computer to figure out this problem and it is ending up the GPU being the fault every time. Some games will crash and some won't. This is a very odd issue to have multiple times.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Crashes after 10-15 minutes, black screen flashes and freezes.
Ark Survival Evolved: Crashes at around 10 minutes, freezes.
Destiny 2: Freeze, then crash to desktop(screenshot below d2.jpg)
Death Stranding: No crashes so far.
Grand Theft Auto 5: No crashes so far.
Grounded: Freeze, then crash to desktop.

My machine:
CPU: i7 8700K
Motherboard: Asus Z390-H
RAM: 2x Team TLGD416G3000HC16CDC01
Power Supply: Seasonic SSR-850FX
No overclocks only XMP

Test machine:
CPU: i5 9600K
Motherboard: Asus Z370-E
RAM: 2x Team TLGD416G3000HC16CDC01
Power Supply: Corsair HX750
No overclocks only XMP
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2020/09/09 19:51:47 (permalink)
@mdc

Clearly your rma’d card has failed again.
Billzabub
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2020/09/13 19:53:36 (permalink)
So.. I was going to agree with you- that I should start a new thread - but after lots of swapping out cards and PSUs etc it seems it IS the card.

I did a clean install on my second gaming computer, set all BIOS to normal - and was getting consistent crashes in 3dMark TimeSpy benchmark - and random freezes in Wow - either with a nvlddmkm error or a 1001 Error in D3DDRED2
I then swapped out PSU with new Seasonic PSU - still crashing
Then I dug up an old GTX 1060 - tried that - finally no crashes
Took the suspect 1080 Ti to my primary gaming machine - swapped out the EVGA 2080 Super there with the 1080 Ti - tada - crash in TimeSpy
Will now be requesting a support ticket to get an RMA
Cheers
Billz
Simon771
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2020/10/29 13:26:06 (permalink)
Just to update this topic ... my GPU died 2 days ago and I'm devastated. For some reason my problem went away last year, and I didn't bother to send card back for RMA, since it was working fine.
But 2 days ago I was casually playing game (nothing too demanding), and all of the sudden I get blue screen (picture shown below), and after that I never got any video output from my GPU. At first I thought and hoped it wasn't GPU problem, but I found some old Quadro in basement, plugged it into my PC, and I got video output. I also tried to put my GTX 1080 ti in parents PC, but same thing. It's just black screen with black square and that's it. After some time, it just display no video input on my monitor/TV. I tried all DP outputs, and also HDMI + DVI. Nothing seems to work now.
It's out of warranty less than 2 months, and completely broken now :( 

So if any of you experience instability with your GPU, RMA is before you warranty goes out, or you will be stuck at same position as me.
I'm trying to post ticket to EVGA, and hopefully they might still consider RMA out of their goodwill, but it's a long shot (for some reason I also can't post ticket right now ... getting 404 error once I press "Submit").

Anyway, I hope no one else has to go trough that, just few weeks after card went out of warranty :(

Blue-screen, showing nvlddmkm crash one last time for my GPU:

WD My Cloud 4TB
mamon4444
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2021/06/01 10:05:39 (permalink)
Billzabub
So.. I was going to agree with you- that I should start a new thread - but after lots of swapping out cards and PSUs etc it seems it IS the card.

I did a clean install on my second gaming computer, set all BIOS to normal - and was getting consistent crashes in 3dMark TimeSpy benchmark - and random freezes in Wow - either with a nvlddmkm error or a 1001 Error in D3DDRED2
I then swapped out PSU with new Seasonic PSU - still crashing
Then I dug up an old GTX 1060 - tried that - finally no crashes
Took the suspect 1080 Ti to my primary gaming machine - swapped out the EVGA 2080 Super there with the 1080 Ti - tada - crash in TimeSpy
Will now be requesting a support ticket to get an RMA
Cheers
Billz

Hi, I have Zotac 1080ti and I have the very same problem. Time Spy crash instantly, but Firestrike pass the first test. I got constantly crash at Cyberpunk at a specific location. I lower the mhz to 1747 and 90% power, doing all kind of things (reinstall drivers, windows, etc).

Recently, I took the card out and put in another machine with 450w psu and got the same problem, then I put 1060 to my pc 650w and it ran the test fine, no crash in-game either. Weird thing is, I took the case to a store, they also have 1080ti zotac same model as me, put in my PC, and crash the same issue... I have no idea what is the problem (most notable is psu or GPU). Checking event viewer show that: 
      "nvlddmkm error" 
"Graphics SM Global Exception on (GPC 1, TPC 3): Physical Multiple Warp Errors"
jschu995
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: EventID nvlddmkm crashing on GTX 1080 Ti 2021/06/01 16:11:09 (permalink)
Did you try safe mode?
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile