Helpful ReplyEVGA layoffs

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
bee144
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 345
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/04 00:59:03 (permalink)
tresnugget
Am I the only one who realizes that the Z30 Dark and X299 Dark are two of the best overclocking motherboards on the market? The x58s were great, but come on! The Asus Apex boards are close but spec wise the EVGA boards are better, and this is coming from a z390 apex owner. I needed more USB 3.1 so I went with the Apex. Do they have pretty lights? No. But they're minimalist and get the job done better than any other product on the market.

but 99% of buyers, even high end boards, do not overclock to the extreme that an Apex or Dark board offers. As a result, you're better off going with the XI Extreme or some other mobo for the 99%.

EVGA doesn't make mobos for the masses anymore. Tin and Kingpin make kick ass mobos for OCing but not daily driving.
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/04 03:10:36 (permalink)
Nereus
wmmills
Nereus
Bruno747
Also looking at the glass door stuff, I wonder if it isn't management like this that caused them to loose the kick-ass Mobo designers that all left around the end of x58.

Yeah I do recall some crap happening way back then. I think it was Shansmi (spelling?) was one person in particular that was a big loss to EVGA, and I believe it was due to disagreements with management at the time. The X58 platform was probably the best to date in terms of 'it just works'. Great BIOS work.
bee144
New support hours, "Starting June 3rd, 2019 EVGA's global customer service office located in California, United States will be changing its hours of operation. The new hours of operation will be from 6AM PT to 10PM PT, 7 days a week. All support requests outside of this time will be processed in the order they are received the following business day. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to supporting all of your EVGA products. Thank You, EVGA Management""

Did they ever work weekends and holidays 24/7? The new hours are 16 hours a day, 7 days a week - that's pretty damn good imho. Many businesses run 9-5 Mon-Fri only.
But yeah.. amazing what a difference management can make. Look at FrozenCPU for an extreme example, lol.

You mean Shamino Nereus??!? Or Shane, the web guy?

I remember the name Shamino too, but I think it was Shansmi or something like that - he did a lot of the BIOS work back then. ..or maybe it was Shamino. Whatever, it was definitely a loss to EVGA.

Yeah that was shamino who was lured away after the x58's etc... def was a big hit at the time for evga. Shane left too and the debacle with Unwinder happened not too long after that also, a lot of good people have exited. 

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11083
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/04 15:34:07 (permalink)
I have two x99 Classifieds, one x99 FTW, two Z370FTW and a x79 Classified. Also have an Asus Strix x99, two Asrock Z370 killer, two dual Asrock LGA 2011 and several Asus x79 WS boards. They all OC well and are stable. I like the Asus and Asrock boards. I can't say they are any better or worse than my EVGA boards. 
Had EVGA x58 Classifieds and Asus ROG boards. All of them were good boards that OC well and were stable too.
I have no problem recommending an EVGA board, GPU or PSU.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/05 10:34:35 (permalink)
As with all business, adapt or die. Exclusive agreements with Intel and Nvidia put EVGA in a bad place right now. And I'm taking bets EVGA is seeing a lot of apathy from both manufacturers about their plight. To further compound that issue, I foresee both Intel and Nvidia being rather underhanded with the writing in those agreements once the Intel GPU is released giving EVGA further problems. Adding all the cheap plastic peripherals in the world to EVGA's lineup won't change those bad exclusive agreements they're stuck in.

vegajf51
lucidworld
libastral
Looks like it's time to go AMD.

It seems like a no-brainer. Still, I wonder about the logistics of the whole thing. They have never done AMD motherboards, one would figure there is a learning curve, and who knows how much time they have to steer the ship in the right direction.

EVGA has made AMD boards before, AM2+ Athlon 64 days so it has been awhile.

Technically speaking, those were never "AMD" mobos, those were Nvidia nForce chipset mobos. So they were really only being made because of Nvidia chipsets. Nvidia no longer makes mobo chipsets thanks to Intel.
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/06/05 10:39:13
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/08 04:04:01 (permalink)
wmmills
Nereus
wmmills
Nereus
Bruno747
Also looking at the glass door stuff, I wonder if it isn't management like this that caused them to loose the kick-ass Mobo designers that all left around the end of x58.

Yeah I do recall some crap happening way back then. I think it was Shansmi (spelling?) was one person in particular that was a big loss to EVGA, and I believe it was due to disagreements with management at the time. The X58 platform was probably the best to date in terms of 'it just works'. Great BIOS work.
bee144
New support hours, "Starting June 3rd, 2019 EVGA's global customer service office located in California, United States will be changing its hours of operation. The new hours of operation will be from 6AM PT to 10PM PT, 7 days a week. All support requests outside of this time will be processed in the order they are received the following business day. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to supporting all of your EVGA products. Thank You, EVGA Management""

Did they ever work weekends and holidays 24/7? The new hours are 16 hours a day, 7 days a week - that's pretty damn good imho. Many businesses run 9-5 Mon-Fri only.
But yeah.. amazing what a difference management can make. Look at FrozenCPU for an extreme example, lol.

You mean Shamino Nereus??!? Or Shane, the web guy?

I remember the name Shamino too, but I think it was Shansmi or something like that - he did a lot of the BIOS work back then. ..or maybe it was Shamino. Whatever, it was definitely a loss to EVGA.

Yeah that was shamino who was lured away after the x58's etc... def was a big hit at the time for evga. Shane left too and the debacle with Unwinder happened not too long after that also, a lot of good people have exited. 

Shamino left in like 2009. Shane left in early 2013. Agent Tiny left in 2014.

z999z3mystorys
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4480
  • Ribbons : 23
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/08 05:12:26 (permalink)
I'm seeing a few former EVGA employees old posts around, and they have the title EVGA Alumni. Is that new, or has it been around a bit? I could see that title being created due to the restructuring, but don't know for sure it wasn't there for awhile before.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/08 07:16:24 (permalink)
z999z3mystorys
I'm seeing a few former EVGA employees old posts around, and they have the title EVGA Alumni. Is that new, or has it been around a bit? I could see that title being created due to the restructuring, but don't know for sure it wasn't there for awhile before.

I noticed it also. I made a comment about it, but no one replied. I am quite sure that there weren't "EVGA Alumni" previously and that the title is related to them being recently laid off.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

EVGATech_AdamB
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1930
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/08 08:23:33 (permalink)
ty_ger07
I noticed it also. I made a comment about it, but no one replied. I am quite sure that there weren't "EVGA Alumni" previously and that the title is related to them being recently laid off.

I started that a while ago actually. In August of last year I believe. I noticed that some old accounts were still getting PM'ed with no response so I added that to hopefully prevent confusion.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/08 08:47:00 (permalink)
EVGATech_AdamB
ty_ger07

I started that a while ago actually. In August of last year I believe. I noticed that some old accounts were still getting PM'ed with no response so I added that to hopefully prevent confusion.

You don't expect them to return? So, they aren't laid off? They are fired?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18916
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/08 10:22:40 (permalink)

I hope EVGA can keep it together... I don't work there so I don't know what's going on, but I've been in positions to see morale drop through the floor and previously good businesses fall to pieces because of one high-level authoritarian type person screwing everything up with bad management style, micromanaging, and a refusal to accept they might be wrong about anything. EVGA has a huge amount of goodwill attached to it that took many years to build, but it can be destroyed very easily and very quickly under the right (wrong) circumstances. I would be very saddened to see that happen to EVGA.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

evgachopsticks
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/08 11:41:45 (permalink)
EVGA is making cuts because they’re hemorrhaging money on people who don’t need to be there. The CFO quit because of the CEO, many people quit because of the CEO. When you work for a company and the CEO keeps telling you that you need to make cuts to save the company money all year instead of him making the necessary changes to profit the company than people won’t want to stay.

Also if you don’t want to give anyone bonuses for their hard work, they don’t feel appreciated. Take care of the people who bust their ass to make you money.
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/08 19:51:25 (permalink)
evgachopsticks
EVGA is making cuts because they’re hemorrhaging money on people who don’t need to be there. The CFO quit because of the CEO, many people quit because of the CEO. When you work for a company and the CEO keeps telling you that you need to make cuts to save the company money all year instead of him making the necessary changes to profit the company than people won’t want to stay.

Also if you don’t want to give anyone bonuses for their hard work, they don’t feel appreciated. Take care of the people who bust their ass to make you money.

Well. this sums it all, but realistically speaking, businesses are making the "make cuts to save money technique" globally, not just in the states.  

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
bee144
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 345
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/10 12:09:27 (permalink)
ty_ger07
EVGATech_AdamB
ty_ger07

I think you're confused. Those are old EVGA employee accounts (aka no longer with the company). Their titles on the forum were changed to alumni as a nice way of saying they no longer work for EVGA and do not expect a reply from them if you message them.
DamonLynch
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 172
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/10 13:09:12 (permalink)
Nereus
One of EVGA's biggest positives are premium product and premium service, and the resulting good will from enthusiasts.

I concur. When I call EVGA technical support, I always get to speak to a knowledgeable human being within a short time. And many of the techs really do have deep knowledge. By way of contrast, when I recently tried to call Intel regarding a login problem on their website, I was on the phone for a long time and never got to speak to anyone, so I gave up.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/10 15:31:32 (permalink)
bee144
ty_ger07
EVGATech_AdamB
ty_ger07

I think you're confused. Those are old EVGA employee accounts (aka no longer with the company). Their titles on the forum were changed to alumni as a nice way of saying they no longer work for EVGA and do not expect a reply from them if you message them.

People don't know that's what the new title means. I think the new title is to make it easier for evga and moderators to track what ex employee's say on here. If they left, let go or was fired, they still under a NDA. 

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/10 17:04:05 (permalink)
bee144
ty_ger07
EVGATech_AdamB
ty_ger07

Yes, old EVGA employees. Like the one I noticed who recently became an "old employee" ("EVGA Alumni") right at the same time that the EVGA layoffs occured. So, was he laid off and automatically assumed to not be returning (given the "Alumni" title and not really a lay-off per the definition), or did he happen to quit or get fired at the same time layoffs occurred? I guess we will never know.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/10 17:39:22 (permalink)

Alumni means a former member of a group, company or organization, which is exactly what they are, regardless of whether they are returning or not. If they return, their title would change accordingly.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/10 18:07:19 (permalink)
An alumni association is an association of graduates or, more broadly, of former students (alumni).
In the United Kingdom and the United States, alumni of universities, colleges, schools (especially independent schools), fraternities, and sororities often form groups with alumni from the same organization.
A group of people who have graduated from a school or university.
Alumni is usually used to refer to a group of graduates of either one or both genders, while 'alumnus' traditionally refers to a single male graduate, with the feminine term being 'alumna'.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/06/10 18:11:55

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/10 19:32:05 (permalink)
Nereus

Alumni means a former member of a group, company or organization, which is exactly what they are, regardless of whether they are returning or not. If they return, their title would change accordingly.

Fair enough. But, EVGA said that they are doing so in order to prevent people contacting them by mistake and never getting a response. Which, seems to me that EVGA doesn't expect them to ever return. Sad.

You typically don't refer to someone who is laid off as a "former employee" until the maximum layoff period has expired or until that employee decides to be employed elsewhere. Until then, the employee collects unemployment and is expected to return to their position once business improves.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/06/10 19:53:25

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/10 19:37:05 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Nereus

Fair enough. But, EVGA said that they are doing so in order to prevent people contacting them by mistake and never getting a response. Which, seems to me that EVGA doesn't expect them to ever return. Sad.

Yeah that is a bummer. Then again, maybe they won't want to come back if there's a clown running the circus ...so to speak. :D

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/11 03:14:18 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Nereus

You typically don't refer to someone who is laid off as a "former employee" until the maximum layoff period has expired or until that employee decides to be employed elsewhere. Until then, the employee collects unemployment and is expected to return to their position once business improves.

I think the reason for the Alumni title is to make it easy for volunteer moderators to help evga monitor what ex-employee's might say on here (if anything). EVGA already said they monitor ex-employee's inbox.

Over the years i haven't seen very many ex-employee's post on here, if they do post it's probably under a different account to avoid people thinking they speak for evga. I remember ShaneD doing that for few months after leaving the company.

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/15 15:18:08 (permalink)
Nereus

Alumni happens after a graduation. So, did they graduate into unemployment while wearing caps and gowns? Someone is a word ninja. 
At one time I pondered requesting my personal title be EVGA Emeritus Potato, but I think Insert Custom Title Here works just as well. 
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/06/15 15:23:05
catawalks
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/15 16:04:01 (permalink)
This news is a total bummer. I'm not much for brand loyalty but every experience I've had with EVGA as a company has been great. The customer service, the RMAs, the quality of products in the first place. I recommend friends to buy EVGA whenever they get a chance because of those experiences, I hope this works out for the best because this is one of the few companies I've come to trust over the years.

7700k + Titan V wrapped in an EVGA Hadron Air
knightsilver
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 9430
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/15 17:09:02 (permalink)
Corporate Got too involved with eVGA , too much about numbers vs what made eVGA great back then, bring back and great crew, adapt or your going out of business...
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/15 21:38:06 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
Nereus

Alumni happens after a graduation. So, did they graduate into unemployment while wearing caps and gowns? Someone is a word ninja. 

A college graduate is one definition of Alumni (and the most commonly used), but not the only definition.  ..although handing out a cap and gown with the pink slips might be amusing to the CEO if he/she were a particularly sadistic individual...

dhall243
  • Total Posts : 69
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/16 02:00:24 (permalink)
Lets all be honest here, as much as I like EVGA's products, EVGA needs to stick with what they excel in GPUs, MOBOs, and PSUs. I would also drop everything but the Dark line of motherboards, the market is different now then how it was 5 years ago, everyone except the people who buy products for XOC are buying pretty boards with plastic covers and unicorn vomit. There's to many other companies making Keyboards and Mice to compete with, I honestly didn't know that an EVGA keyboard was a thing until about a month ago. Im sure case manufactures would team up with EVGA to make a case that offered specific EVGA features. Bring back stuff like EVBot, keep making products like the powerlink. I feel sorry for the employees of EVGA, Ive worked those 16 hour shifts and Ive worked 7 days a week sometime both combined, its not fun, you feel like jumping off a bridge at the end of the day and hope Moses parts the water when you get close.

Mobo: EVGA Z390 Dark
CPU: Intel I9-9900k @ 5.2ghz
GPU: EVGA 2080 TI Kingpin w/ Hydro Copper
RAM: Corsair 2x16GB 3200mhz
SSD: Corsair MP510 980GB NVME
PSU: Corsair RM1000i

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/16 08:25:39 (permalink)
dhall243
Lets all be honest here, as much as I like EVGA's products, EVGA needs to stick with what they excel in GPUs, MOBOs, and PSUs. I would also drop everything but the Dark line of motherboards, the market is different now then how it was 5 years ago, everyone except the people who buy products for XOC are buying pretty boards with plastic covers and unicorn vomit. There's to many other companies making Keyboards and Mice to compete with, I honestly didn't know that an EVGA keyboard was a thing until about a month ago. Im sure case manufactures would team up with EVGA to make a case that offered specific EVGA features. Bring back stuff like EVBot, keep making products like the powerlink. I feel sorry for the employees of EVGA, Ive worked those 16 hour shifts and Ive worked 7 days a week sometime both combined, its not fun, you feel like jumping off a bridge at the end of the day and hope Moses parts the water when you get close.

<armchair-opinion>
Frankly I think the cheap plastic stuff they're pushing as peripherals are third party OEM. I don't see them doing all that nonsense in-house. If they are, then they're way off the rails. They really need to drop that OEM to solve some of their immediate perception issues.
</armchair-opinion>
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/06/16 08:29:16
EnochRoot
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 207
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/19 16:14:27 (permalink)
With EVGA being Intel exclusive, the next year(s) will be a horror show on the motherboard side.  They still have time on the gpu side.  But that past corporate slight, whatever it was, between AMD and EVGA's management, is really going to nail them to a wall before long.  I'm very sorry for all the people that were let go.  I loved your commitment to US support.  But I have the feeling that the people canned got out easy. 

What's coming next with the Ryzen 2/3/4 rollout is going to hurt much worse.  I would personally focus on gpu's and psu's, and maybe that one motherboard everyone uses to eek out the last bit of performance from the 9900k.  And if you have a board of directors, or anyone sane at the helm, now would be the time for a Mea Culpa with AMD so you can at least get X590/B550/future schematics.  Although it may be too late already.  Again, I'm very sorry for all of you guys.  There or not.  You did a great job with what you had.  I appreciate it, but I've moved on from Intel/Nvidia for future purchases.  I wish you all the best in the future.  I hope EVGA can pull through and rebuild.  Take care.

--==Hardware Profile==--
EVGA Classified E760
Intel i7 960
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 watt
Intel Pro PT 1000 Server NIC
LSI Logic/Avago SAS2008 Fusion-MPT SAS-2 RAID
4 X Crucial M4 SSD
EVGA GTX 550
12 GB G-Skill DDR3 Tri-Channel
Renesas uPD720201 USB 3.0
OS- LINUX 64-BIT(Kernel 4.5)
repo1979
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1116
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/19 16:31:51 (permalink)
bee144
tresnugget
Am I the only one who realizes that the Z30 Dark and X299 Dark are two of the best overclocking motherboards on the market? The x58s were great, but come on! The Asus Apex boards are close but spec wise the EVGA boards are better, and this is coming from a z390 apex owner. I needed more USB 3.1 so I went with the Apex. Do they have pretty lights? No. But they're minimalist and get the job done better than any other product on the market.

but 99% of buyers, even high end boards, do not overclock to the extreme that an Apex or Dark board offers. As a result, you're better off going with the XI Extreme or some other mobo for the 99%.

EVGA doesn't make mobos for the masses anymore. Tin and Kingpin make kick ass mobos for OCing but not daily driving.

As in my case, I got the x299 dark due to the price over other x299 boards i was looking at, think i ended up paying $220.00 for it. It was hard to pass up plus its a evga product cant beat that anyway. 
catawalks
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: EVGA layoffs 2019/06/19 17:37:19 (permalink)
repo1979
bee144
tresnugget

As in my case, I got the x299 dark due to the price over other x299 boards i was looking at, think i ended up paying $220.00 for it. It was hard to pass up plus its a evga product cant beat that anyway. 

That's a great price for an x299 board! And like you said, it's an EVGA product. Even at a higher price I'm more willing to fork over the money to EVGA who has proven themselves to me with great warranty and customer support. I had an SR2 back in the day and even though I wasn't doing extreme overclocking I still loved the quality and results of my OC under water which managed 3.6ghz on a pair of 2.4ghz E5620 Xeon's. And the board held up through months of non-stop folding@home at those speeds. I happily paid the extra price for the motherboard because it had the EVGA name on it which meant quality and comfort to me. Even within the last few years I've had friends buy second hand EVGA parts and gotten warranty support and replacement PSU cables that were missing.

7700k + Titan V wrapped in an EVGA Hadron Air
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile