EVGA

EVGA Classified SR-X/SR-2 Compatible Chassis

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 24
Author
crc454
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/01 15:42:57 (permalink)
I am interested in your build, just ordered my SR-2 today 7/1/11 and I am putting it in a Thermaltake Xaser VI case which is 26 inches deep and 9.8 inches wide, it is only slitely higher than your case but it is almost an inch and a half deeper than your case which 23.6 deep and 9.6 inches wide, so it should allow me a smidge of extra room . I am going with 2 power supplies, a Thermaltake 1200 watt for motherboard and video and an Athena 400 watt for all the fans, hard drives and dvd drives. frozenCPU.com had an adapter that will allow me to start both power supplies at same time and that should be here Thursday or Friday. CPU's and other stuff gets ordered Tuesday
7/5 Build should be ready by mid August. I just can't wait to get this beast running.
One extra note, the inside of your case is exactly the same as the Xaser VI but not as deep, same motherboard tray, drive cage, and bottom vents. I took apart an older Antec full tower case and used the 2 support beams for the power supply to fabricate a bracket to hold the second radiater and extra case fan. I took off the bottom plate from an old CD drive and mounted an 92 mm exhaust fan and
the Athena power supply, it takes up 3 5.25 drive bays in front but looks and works great. Will take photos as soon as board arrives and I get to use the tooless mounting hardware to mount it. I love these builds where one has to use the little grey cells as Agatha Christi say's, and my wife loves getting my old hardware which to her is an upgrade.
SkyDan12
  • Total Posts : 36
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/01 19:40:23 (permalink)
Awesome choice of the case I am not sure the SR-2 will fit w/o mods. It is an HPTX board and the case is not certified as such, but with some work it can be used. BTW, drill and install those copper looking m/b anchors where the holes of the m/b do not match the holes of the m/b tray.(or tool-less thingies) Use all the holes of the m/b to anchor it well. I went with Armor+ to use it with BigWater liquid cooling system from TT. I will have 2 of them installed. 1 is in already, waiting for 590 Hydro to become available(EVGA is killing me with the wait). One for CPU(s) and one for video card(s). Also, please let me know if the SR-2 fits w/o modding the drive bay cage. Anyhow, it's a way better looking case than Lian's black coffins.
post edited by SkyDan12 - 2011/07/01 19:48:06
crc454
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/02 12:56:33 (permalink)
The only place I think I am going to need to improvise is the depth of the motherboard tray where it meets the hard drive cage. It looks like the 24 pin power plug goes behind it about 1/4 of an inch. However, since the side panels stick out the back on each side, I am making a spacer to move the motherboard 1/2 inch to the rear. Since I have about 2 inches to play with, it won't even be seen. Will be putting a brace across the underneath side of the motherboard tray to replace the funky plastic brace that comes stock. The braces I have made for the second radiator, and the first radiator that is installed where the exhaust fan on the mother board tray is now. I made another set of foot rails that attach to the bottom rails on either side to raise the case up 1 inch, giving me room to mount 2 big intake fans blowing air into the case at the bottom, (outside the bottom) of the case, then the radiater fans (2 on each radiator mounted in a push pull setup) will bring outside air into the case and the front and top fans will exhaust air out the front and top for best air flow. I have 2 cooling fan setups on each bank of ram to help cool them. Ordered the tap and die and the T handle for the standoffs and an extra bag of standoffs from amaxon for under 15 bucks. There is an 80 mm fan on the Athena power supply mounted in the bottom drive bays and I added a 92 mm fan to the bracket to help get hot air from the power supply out of the case. If you have any more pointers let me know as the inside configuration of your case is the twin of mine. I got the Xaser VI from Newegg on sale and have never regretted it. One more question, what cpu did you get. Being retired, and on a fixed income, 5680's were out of the question, but since this rig will be for Video editing and the one game I play, $589.99 ea. for 2 5645's from Newegg looked lots better than 2 or 3 thousand bucks. Once again, thanks for the tips. One more thing, you can move the motherboard tray out the back of the case, just make a spacer the thickness needed and the brass motherboard standoffs fit in the tray holes and then just add the spacer and longer screws to get the edge of the SR-2 out from behind the drive cage. No one is going to look back there anyway. Just make a bracket to mount the plastic motherboard support clip the same distance to the rear.

post edited by crc454 - 2011/07/02 13:08:08
SkyDan12
  • Total Posts : 36
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/02 19:26:26 (permalink)
Wow, you must be good making all the braces and brackets. I went an easier way - cut a portion of the drive bay cage that was in the way. Also the HDD cage is completely out - I don't need it. An LCS will go in it's place when I get the video card from EVGA. SSD drives will be on the bottom of the case and air-cooled. I also have external storage drive, but it has a radiator cooling built in. One thing to watch out for is to make sure that you use pre-drilled holes for m/b mounting to avoid short circuit. CPU: I have installed 1 Xeon X5690 I picked up for $1500 even. It is expensive, I know, but when the price drops, I will buy a second one to upgrade the system. E5645 is a very potent CPU, you can get one for $529.99 from http://www.superbiiz.com I used that site to buy my SR-2 and some other things, no problems at all. BTW, check out the Intel site, suggested retail price for E5645 is $551, so newegg is kinda a rip-off. Good Luck with your build man!
crc454
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/05 20:16:43 (permalink)
Well, got the rest of the stuff ordered today Tuesday July 5th, Sunbeam fan controller, Athena 400 watt psu, 2 e5645 xeons, Thermaltake 1200 watt psu, 2 watercoolers, and a couple of Asus dvd recorders. That makes the list complete. Also ordered an HD camera to document the build, will also post pic's with my Canon dslr and a movie to YouTube. I really do not like cutting up my case if I can help it and since I am mounting the second PSU in the bottom three 5.25 inch drive bays, I have to retain the HD cage. With this case, I think that by moving the mobo tray back about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, I wont have to cut anything. The old Antec full tower case is giving up all it's guts for extra sheet metal for this build, and a tech station that I am building, using a 480 watt psu, hard drive cage from the bottom of The Xaser VI, that I removed to put in an extra fan, a case switch from an old HP case, one of the Asus sata dvd recorders, an 80 mm fan to cool the hard drive cage and it will be topped off with a piece of plexy that I will use the extra standoffs and the drill and tap I ordered from Amazon. I even used the front usb and sound connectors from the old Antec case so I can leave the mouse and keyboard plugged in. I got tired of having motherboards I am testing, spread all over my work bench and it will elimenate the risk of shorting something out. Could get a tech station online for $135.00 but I will have about $40.00 bucks invested in the one I am building. When I post pictures, you can guess what I recycled for the double decker frame for the tech station:) How about posting more pic's of your computer when you get further along with it, looks great so far and who cares how you do it as long as it works.
post edited by crc454 - 2011/07/05 20:26:34
407419FC578B452
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 152
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/10 20:28:47 (permalink)
SkyDan12Anyhow, it's a way better looking case than Lian's black coffins.

Oh, I don't think so.

Lian Li Cases are very sleak and minimalistic, yes. But they ain't always black, nor are they ugly (except the "Tyr"-productline maybe..).

I for one hate every piece of plastic in such an case and those external "mods" and "plastic grills" and "pre-modded looks" annoy the sh** out of me. That's why I prefer a sleak, minimalistic, high quality case.

But I have to say, actual Lian Li products ain't what they were even 5 years ago.

Too much "Toollessdesign", too much plastic, too much "gamerstyle". Not anymore a really good usage of the room, nor an good placement of the cooling "tunnels". Nothing you can't change, but for that price the actual lines are not my thing.

I build systems (its my job after all) with nearly every case line (not every product but lets say 80% of the product lines were involved, if you let custom made things out, which ain't usual in germany/europe).

And I can say that even an 600$ Silverstone Full Aluminium built with touchscreen is -crap- against the quality of Lian Li. Not to mention that I can't change customers will if they choose an plastic bomber, but I am the one who gets a bad mood at assembling it (because it mostly feels cheap, not overthought, not worth the price, and much more).

So I guess its from everyones point of view, what he thinks, looks "good" but Lian Li's cases are way more than "black coffins".
crc454
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/11 06:40:29 (permalink)
Look guys, I agree metal is better to a point, but some plastic is a must in today's economy, I used to build race cars in my youth and everything was made of metal, and cost an exorbitant amount of money to fabricate. To be even the least bit affordable some plastic is needed, all metal cases would all look exactly the same, some variation on the square box. Newegg for instance has 33 separate manufacturers and without plastic front bezels, you could not tell them apart. I chose for my main rig an Xaser VI Thermaltake case as it had a metal front door and less plastic pieces than most cases. Lots of people do not like the small plastic switch cover but I have not had an ounce of problems in over a year and a half with both my Xaser VI cases. As for gritting my teeth when I build an all plastic case for one of my clients, I remind myself that I run a business and I cater to the custom build crowed. If I want to stay in business, I build whatever they want and make sure I put in writing that the case was the customers choice and that if it grenades in a week or more it is between the manufacturer and the customer and I am not involved past getting their check cleared as fast as possible and to smile when I cash it.
crc454
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/11 19:20:54 (permalink)
well got everything today but the main attraction, the motherboard did not show for the second delivery day. It was scanned into the UPS depot at 7: 30 pm Thursday, was scanned out for delivery at 7:15 Friday, UPS driver shows up and knows nothing about it (curious) Then tracking says it was scanned out for delivery at 6:41 am today and now all of a sudden no one knows where it is. It smells fishy to me, like possibly a UPS employee thought he would get lucky. I am going to try and get the serial number from Newegg when we are sure it is gone for good and see if the warranty can be killed on the stolen board, if it turns out it is stolen that is. did some measuring and looks like all I have to do is install a motherboard standoff in the holes in the case for the mobo tray and use flat headed screws for neatness. when I did this I get a full 14 inches before it comes near the hd cage. That TRX-1200 Thermaltake psu is huge!! Also tried a test fit on second psu and at 4 inches deep it fits with lots of room for cooling. Was really Po'd the board did not come, want to "getter done". Ordered a new motherboard, next day air from Newwegg about an hour ago.
407419FC578B452
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 152
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/12 12:28:59 (permalink)
Hi crc454,
I agree that on the "normal case market" plastic is widely used to put some differences in style at cheap prices but in the area 300-500$ or even more (which mostly are bought by enthusiasts, collectors, people who want to fit the computer case in high quality living room equipment), they can use aluminium without that much of a raising price.

I use even carbon plates and pipes sometimes to modify things, it's not as if they are too expensive to be used, its only a problem to work with them (drilling cfk or gfk needs a dust safe case and such, because it's dangerous to get the dust of the materials in the lungs, like "asbests" in earlier times).

But the thing is, I don't like cases which "look like customized in a very cheap way with alot of plastic" from factory, lets say, cheaply fitted, engraved windows, 93883274 (literally) fan holes, plastic mould features on every corner and such, they all just "hide the usual steel rectangular tower".

That's why I prefer a sleak, clean aluminium tower (and Lian Li makes really quality stuff, if I compare it to other factorys, I had alot of Lian Li Towers in the past and like 1/20 of their cases even has a micro scratch, the other 19/20 not even had any scratch, finger print or dust!), even if they are "just rectangular black cases".

If I want them to be outstanding, I mod them myself, so that's no problem for me. An bigger problem would be those "factory default modding stuff"-things, they make it even harder to modify the case itself in my opinion.

But as I said, it's everyones decision. Same with living room equipment: Most people buy no "real wood" anymore but fake press/squeezed wooden pieces which are just layered with one sheet of very thin real wood at top. This is cheaper and works fine, but I love paying some more money and getting things out of real wooden plates. It's up to everyone what he wants and buys, but I sometimes wish there would be more choices on the market, like in earlier times (1910 - 1930 = no "fake-wood", 99% real wood or glue wood things).
crc454
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/12 17:57:09 (permalink)
Update: Got motherboard today, original label from Newegg was sliced off of the newegg box and scotch taped to a plain box and the SR-2 box had the seal broken.....inquiring minds want to know. static free bag was ok and the contents looked intact, the only thing I think that prevented them from stealing the board is I pitched a fit to everyone from top to bottom at UPS and even got Newegg customer service involved. Newegg was fantastic, they lit a fire under someone at UPS and 2 hours before my regular UPS delivery time today 7/12/11 the board came.

Attached Image(s)

crc454
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/12 18:26:11 (permalink)
well, everything is finally here.Have motherboard into mobo trayUsing my wife's Xaser VI for all the fitting for the board and trayeven with the tray setback, about an inch, the door comes right to the edge and with some black screening I have it will be neat and tidy. one thing that is a real help is my 20 year box of screws, I have collected this oneand one more just like it, that was a lot of computer builds. Well more to come in the next few days, any advice would be helpful. The box of screws was very neat, but the wife knocked it off a table onto the floor and I haven't had time to put everything in the proper size sections.
post edited by crc454 - 2011/07/12 18:29:09

Attached Image(s)

Gratuitous
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1109
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/12 18:50:54 (permalink)
crc4544, looks like a nice build. but would't this information be better suited in it's own build log thread? I keep seeing these new posts in a dedicated and sticky thread for manufactured sr-2 cases. my understanding of the purpose of this thread is to introduce new cases that need NO modification and are not builds, but just a compatable cases.

of course, I am no authority, but in my opinion this hyjacks the thread. if I want to follow your progress, I would much prefer to do it in a dedicated thread. no offence intended, just a functional opinion.

“I built a castle in the swamp and it sunk. I built a second castle and it sunk too. I built a third castle and it burned down and then sunk. But the fourth castle, Ahhhh! That one stood.”
—Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Mr. X-OCZ
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/07/30 02:14:16 (permalink)
Would the SR-2 fit in the upcoming CM Cosmos II?

There are 10 pci-e slot and from the look of it, it should fit but the spec. doesn't say anything about HPTX.

post edited by Mr. X-OCZ - 2011/08/02 04:54:36

CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon X5667+ @ 4.56 GHz with liquid cooling
M/B: EVGA Classified SR-2, Bclk @ 190with liquid cooling
RAM: 6 x 4 GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000 9-9-9 24with liquid cooling
VGA: 4 x Asus GTX580 with liquid cooling / 4 x ATI 6970
PSU: 2 x Silverstione Strider Plus 1000W
-PTI-
  • Total Posts : 44
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/08/06 03:17:20 (permalink)
Well, Jacob, it seems like you havent updated the list...

Xigmatek manufacturesbly the cheapest HPTX case, the ELYSIUM HPTX. It is ugly, i know..

Link:

My RIGs:

iKOALA
Evga SR2, DUAL E5620, 12x2GB, HD5970 (4GB version!!), 2kW, Antec 1200
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gummybear:
ASUS CrossHair IV Formula, AMD Phenom ll X6 1090T, 4GB, HD5870x2 (ARES), 1000W, Antec 1200
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HTPC/BACKUP:
GIGABYTE GA-A75-UD4H, AMD Llano A8 3850, 4GB, HD 6850, 650W, Antec Skeleton
strob
  • Total Posts : 46
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/08/27 14:37:18 (permalink)
Lian li seems to have 2 other cases that I did not see mentioned here:

PC-P80N and PC-Z70 (left and middle) along with the well-known PC-V2120 (to the right)

They are specified as HPTX. does that mean the SR-2 will fit nicely in those 3?
post edited by strob - 2011/08/27 14:40:20

Jocelyn Strob Simard
www.strob.net
theawesomemanful
  • Total Posts : 34
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/09/04 20:52:20 (permalink)
What about the 

Xigmatek Elysium?

Call me a derp!
0_p
ctgilles
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/09/05 00:21:59 (permalink)
strob

Lian li seems to have 2 other cases that I did not see mentioned here:

PC-P80N and PC-Z70 (left and middle) along with the well-known PC-V2120 (to the right)

They are specified as HPTX. does that mean the SR-2 will fit nicely in those 3?

PC-P80 was already compatible. P80N has the PSU at the bottom (P80: top), it has 2x 140mm exhaust on top (P80: 1x).
The Z70 also fits, but looks like poor airflow to me (again).
V2120 is in 3 flavors and is nice, but bad airflow and for such a big case not so many (internal) liquid cooling options. Crazy expensive.

theawesomemanful 

What about the  

Xigmatek Elysium?

Please read the thread. It is compatible. (Formfaktor: ATX, HPTX, E-ATX, XL-ATX, Micro-ATX)

My is arriving today. I will be mounting a Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator at the top. Dennis Mini, the Cubitek rep has helped me a great deal. He told me that a 360mm radiator is a straight fir but that a 480mm one will fit at the cost of one 5.25"  (I don't run opticals). Also, he has measured top to motherboard tray to be 113mm so I have ordered a  to have more clearance if necessary. (BIX is 54mm thick and a push/pull adds 50mm so I'm at 104mm total plus 2x TC 120.4 gaskets... it will be close!)
Will be running EK SR-2 block and 2x EK Supreme HF, both acetal tops. Now I have to wait for my SR-2 to get back from RMA (keeps corrupting BIOS on cold boots... sometimes )
post edited by ctgilles - 2011/09/05 00:32:05

theawesomemanful
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/09/05 02:03:17 (permalink)
n00b. :) JK! thanks for the info

Call me a derp!
0_p
ctgilles
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/09/05 08:10:01 (permalink)
The "I have ordered  a" should be "I have ordered a Koolance shroud" (yuk, Koolance lol) but have already canceled it as it will not fit the HPTX TANK top. Will be using a 480mm fan grill from IT Service (BEL) or WCUK (GB).
Awesome case, planning WC build further. If anyone wants certain photos: let me know (case has been delivered and not yet chopped up).

One thing I have to say: build quality is good (solid alu case) and VERY modular. Good job Cubitek 

@theawesomemanful: Yes I am an EVGA noob lol :D But I now understand your question as some sites don't speak of HPTX for the Elysium! Caseking (DE) has HPTX in description but is this a newer revision perhaps? Or are other sites/shops too lazy to lookup the correct info? 

Kind regards
post edited by ctgilles - 2011/09/05 08:12:15

theawesomemanful
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/09/05 08:49:11 (permalink)
ctgilles

The "I have ordered  a" should be "I have ordered a Koolance shroud" (yuk, Koolance lol) but have already canceled it as it will not fit the HPTX TANK top. Will be using a 480mm fan grill from IT Service (BEL) or WCUK (GB).
Awesome case, planning WC build further. If anyone wants certain photos: let me know (case has been delivered and not yet chopped up).

One thing I have to say: build quality is good (solid alu case) and VERY modular. Good job Cubitek 

@theawesomemanful: Yes I am an EVGA noob lol :D But I now understand your question as some sites don't speak of HPTX for the Elysium! Caseking (DE) has HPTX in description but is this a newer revision perhaps? Or are other sites/shops too lazy to lookup the correct info? 

Kind regards

Haha. Yeah. On the other hand, I would to love to see some pic's!

Call me a derp!
0_p
EliteGeek91
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10662
  • Ribbons : 44
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis' 2011/09/08 08:52:59 (permalink)
Will it fit in the Antec 1200 at all? As long as I can fit my SLI cards, and PCI-e 1.0 soundcard in, I'll be happy but I didn't know how the mounts line up.

jabloomf1230
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 132
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis' 2011/09/13 16:19:52 (permalink)
For what it's worth, NewEgg has a sale going on on all Lian Li cases (LLSepDeal) which makes the V2120B $323 US with free ground shipping. You have to have a NewEgg login to get the discount.
radOC
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/09/15 13:49:33 (permalink)
anyone know if you can buy a rackmount 3U case like this one that APPRO setup for their HF1 overclocked server???

ekamber
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/09/16 04:22:53 (permalink)
You can get a SuperMicro 2U case, but it has to be modified, and a Czech company does all of that. It looks neat and tidy inside, but the only problem I have with that is that all the equipment may be a bit crammed inside.

Cheers
jeststar
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/09/16 08:06:33 (permalink)
Mis Post
post edited by jeststar - 2011/09/16 08:08:54

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz
RAM: 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX cooler
SSD: (2x) Vertex 2 50 GB
PSU: PC Power & Cooling MK II 950
Case: Corsair 800D

Haloviper
  • Total Posts : 62
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/09/24 20:44:13 (permalink)
Two things, I sold a customer with a SR-2 board a
Thermaltake SWORD case and he said it worked great.
Nice if you could find one anymore. Also I made my own
"Top Deck" and I must say it's much nicer than the one referenced
here, with stuff I bought at Lowe's and fans from Frozen CPU
for $75.

cheliana
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 517
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/09/26 22:34:17 (permalink)
http://www.enermax.com.tw...ng/press_b_1&no=17

There is a new case for SR-2. I've been told that it will release at the end of this month.
amdisthebest16
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis 2011/09/27 18:12:51 (permalink)
hey prob not the best thread for this ? but what does anybody think of the EVGA SR-2?
jabloomf1230
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 132
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis' 2011/10/06 14:14:51 (permalink)
NewEgg now has a 20% off sale going on for the month of October on Lian Li cases. Like before, you have to have a NewEgg login to get the discount (LLOctDeal). For example, the V2120B is now down to $303.99 with free ground shipping.

@Moderator: I'm not sure if I should be posting this info, so delete this post, if it's against forum rules. There are so few cases in which the SR-2 fits without modification, that I thought that any deal on a case like this might be useful to post.
JinxGenius
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:EVGA Classified SR-2 Compatible Chassis' 2011/10/29 05:21:13 (permalink)
Hi I'm new here and interest in SR-2, 

I've been looking around @ my area for cases, and these are what I heard from them and I wonder if they will really fit or not:

SILVERSTONE RAVEN Series RV03B-W
Aerocool X-Predator

I'm kinda planning this for my Christmas 

P.S. How much different is it from the E-ATX screw position?
post edited by JinxGenius - 2011/10/29 08:57:05
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 24
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile