EVGA

LockedChimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread...

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/18 17:48:16 (permalink)
another idea is to use best years PPD as the basis

sum[todays PPD- best years PPD]
this would give you a +/- figure depending on whether you team is doing better than your best PPD

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

troy8d
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2817
  • Ribbons : 10
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/18 17:58:42 (permalink)
Viper, which is why one of my ideas was to develop our own stats and ignore whatever crap they want to concoct.  The others are to ignore the stats/results or ignore the CC entirely.  I agree 100% it is not worth engaging in the politics, but I think it is even more pointless to engage in intentional destruction.

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5066
  • Ribbons : 22
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/18 18:11:02 (permalink)
Troy, liked your summary/assessment of the past and current state of CC.  It accurately covers what I think about the contest.  I agree that unless EVGA wanted to be pirates, there is nothing to be gained in wreaking havoc on the contest.

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/18 18:13:40 (permalink)
Troy... would you do it?  I know things are tight for you.  I'd back it.

Pity about the destruction... twenty years in the military... I miss the destruction!

I think you understand what I'm saying, even if I am being flippant about it.  We need to gauge our team by a fair set of metrics and not by one that has been tainted.  Fair is all I ask. 

I'd be down for that in a heartbeat if you are up to it and that stat collecting pimp dude team up. 

I believe we are the best team... I believe we can take back the crown from [H] with the direction a lot of our team mates are going.

And if you decide to accept this mission Mr. Phelps... I believe you can pull this off and give this team... the truth.  Should you decide to accept this mission you have one year to complete this.

Oh.. and least I seem too weird.  Either way I appreciated what you two did for the team during the March Madness run.  That was mucho fun. 

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/18 19:15:43 (permalink)
I got lost somewhere. Is my expanding on the idea I spoke on where this destruction talk is coming from? God I hope not.

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/18 19:26:00 (permalink)
Me AB... I'm responsible... I personally enjoy the idea of taking down the CC by folding for another team... or as in what has been done being 'guest folders' or as I call them being ringers. 

That is the destruction.  Take down those that plot to elevate their team at the expense of others.

It is, in my opinion a great way to send notice that it is not to be tolerated anymore.  No more fixing the formulas, no more ringers, no more guest folders who then go back to their home team.

It is my opinion.  I have vocalized it. 

However; I have said if we (and I mean not me as I'm to uneducated to do this) as a team decide to gauge our strength using a fair and balanced (sorry Fox!) method to measure ourselves against another team then I'm all for it.

If not, I'll not be in the CC... now or ever and I will switch my rigs to WCG during that time frame. 

I will not take the higher ground... we've done that and we have seen the results.

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/18 19:27:03 (permalink)
Afterburner
I got lost somewhere. Is my expanding on the idea I spoke on where this destruction talk is coming from? God I hope not.

I took it as people were basically "playing with thought" because of the out-of-balance state of CC and not really being serious about being destructive.  That was my impression because I know people here are "good eggs" and prefer to do things fairly.  Or are we really pirates...!  Jus, kidding. 

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/18 19:37:49 (permalink)
YARrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/18 20:29:18 (permalink)
Viper97

Me AB... I'm responsible... 

Well now that makes more sense... Phew!!

Azoth
  • Total Posts : 81
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/18 21:24:03 (permalink)
http://chimp.axihub.ca/ 

I don't understand how this handicap is considered even remotely fair.
Our team is leading in raw points by over 100million over the next closest team. 
Yet we are losing because we have a 1x multiplier and other teams have a x2.2 or x5.3? W.T.F
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/18 23:28:06 (permalink)
It's better than the previous two years where EVGA was  near or at the bottom

fair is a matter of point of view
why would the other teams compete if it was a done deal EVGA wins every year?

I agree we need more input and openness in the discussions
I had more luck talking to teams directly about ideas(in previous cc) than in the Capts forums where it's just 3 teams and everyone has their own agenda...

let alone have a majority have any input on the development of the formula or have a vote on it

we had 1 week for a formula (after the delays in getting the teams to appoint caps and get the capt on the Capt thread)
the previous week was just getting a date voted on and a new team entered

it takes days to get votes done - even with only 9 people voting
- got to go back to teams and get feedback and then vote

The process is a major problem...and it's why Ive been saying that since last year

the fact we are open about the discussions here and vent ideas and criticism is nice... this is exactly why this team rocks

what needs to be done 
1) transparancy like the FAH beta threads public - but only capts post
2) we start on day 1 after the CC
3) no single team develops a formula - all members must have a say and vote on it
4)if we change the format...we offer Best overall PPD and Best formulated CC points and 2 chimp trophies
Jaded Monkey - Golden Tiki or Royal Banana
-------------------------------------------

after doing analysis of the point difference - about 30M(25M now) over 7 days = 4M PPD avg

looking at the top 100 of the team (just the missing members from top 100) more than 10 members missing

just taking the average of 500K PPD = 5M+ PPD 
(two members make almost 2MPPD alone)

just getting out some of the members that opted out(or didn't get the message) would have made the difference..
even if OCF got help

this is not including the next 100 of the team either...so that number could have been higher

apathy and the sense it's rigged from the get go is killing the participation
had we just gotten our members to fold and participate regardless - and that means all our important leaders 
we could have won the contest...

why do we have to assume it's rigged without looking at the facts and our team's participation?
just do it because it's a team thing ...we support each other

secondly anything that pushes the team helps the team - and that means pushing past [H] and staying past [H]

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/19 00:46:50

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 05:10:42 (permalink)
Why apathy?  Why the sense that the contest is rigged?  Why bring in 'guest' folders to produce for your team and NOT include those numbers in the basis for determining the handicap?

Apathy is created when folks realize that any effort put forth is futile, that it will not make an impact in the contest.  Hence why bother the outcome is predetermined.  This team does not stand a chance.

The contest IS rigged.  It was from the start I'm sorry if you can't see it but the fact remains it is. 

And since when does bringing in guest folders from other teams (who upon completion of the CC return to their home teams) make the overall contest a laughing stock?  Face it, the handicap works in their favor because the guest folders production was never taken into consideration!

Sorry XZ, I understand in part what you are saying but I cannot agree with the premise that this contest is serious.  It isn't, it appears it hasn't been and the Jade Monkey, gold banana or a partridge in a pear tree isn't going to change it.

It has become what it is by design and willful flaunting of rules.  There is no changing that perception with me.  It might have meant something once but now it is a worthless contest.

I'm still folding but frankly as I said, if this is the way it is always you can keep this contest.  I wish to be no part of this farce.
post edited by Viper97 - 2013/04/19 05:12:05

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 05:37:28 (permalink)
Unless I'm misunderstanding the point, I expect that I'm one of the people that XZ references as being part of the reason that we are not winning CC today.  I don't disagree that the absence of my production has some effect.  But, I do have a word of caution in speaking that way about our members (not in anger but as a piece of advice).  Pointing to team members that are not participating in CC (for whatever is their personal reason), and the problems that result from it, is at the heart of why HardOCP does not fold in CC anymore.  We should be mindful of that experience and not resurrect that problem over here.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 06:11:40 (permalink)
I may be off on this XZ... I think what you are really saying, is the contest is broken. Grown men and women are choosing to use "Their" equipment for other needs at the moment, and the combination of those two are the issue? Is this correct?

If so... I totally disagree.

On one hand I understand why a few have come out and said that is why they are not participating. Well that happens in every contest. There will never be a contest where all participate. On the other hand, the real issue "Is" the contest. The only way for a person to show how serious they are about their belief or stand is to do something about it. This is a good thing in my mind... Just ask EA and those that tried to make MOH a success. 

Let's recognize that we will always have folks that are off doing other things and that we will never make everyone happy. Our only goal should be to put our best foot forward as a team at all times for the greater good. 

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 06:26:03 (permalink)
Xavier Zepherious

It's better than the previous two years where EVGA was  near or at the bottom

fair is a matter of point of view
why would the other teams compete if it was a done deal EVGA wins every year?

So to carry this out farther and try to figure out your reasoning behind the above thoughts, are you saying that since EVGA isn't at the bottom that things are better?  I'm going to take exception to that.  Rigging a contest so we can take third place is supposed to instill a feel good moment in me?  It's better than last year?  Why?  Because we are only losing a little bit?  Nonsense.

Now for your second point.  Ask yourself this.  Why should EVGA enter a contest every year if the team is not going to be able to win?  Why is it fair that we say smaller and less able teams should have a chance to win so EVGA can't place because they are the big bad dogs? 

Are you saying it's fair that we lose?  Again this rationalized thought of taking the big guy down and making it look like it's fair is nonsense.

Again you want to know why there is apathy on this team? Why folks wish to have nothing to do with this particular contest?  It is because we can't win.... we don't have a chance.... we never will.  Ergo, why waste time entering a contest if the outcome is preordained?

I'm looking up VGT's team number and putting the rest of my CC time to them.  Not because I want to win but because I want to make a point.  You don't monkey around with me... you don't try to tell me a pile of steaming poo is chocolate cake.  I'm not that big of a fool.

Another point, regardless of the team I fold for isn't the fact that I'm folding saying something?  Isn't it true that science marches on when I fold?  So how is the folding NOT getting done during the CC?  The dedicated folders will fold 24/7.  They didn't get in the team standings by folding for dollars.  No... quite the opposite I think they spent a lot of dollars to find cures.

End of line...

jinihammerer
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1151
  • Ribbons : 8
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 07:16:44 (permalink)
This is just a thought bouncing around the inside of my noggin. if its dumb just say so.

For starters they should base the handicap off of the average from the 10 highest production days of the year. 

That will give a decent average base for each team.

Once the handicaps are given and as deterrent to the the act of borrowing people from other teams. For every 1% over your average high you loose .5% of your handicap. if you are 100% over normal production by borrowing people.. you loose 50% of your handicap so if you had a 2% handicap you now have a 1% That would be calculated towards that days daily totals. If you drop back down you gain back the handicap by the same %.

As people love to claim this is a race. when you say race it implies everyone running is capable of racing the people next to them. 

If your racing Jr high relay and suddenly swap out one of the runners for an olympic champion.. people would take issue with that. So adding a steep penalty should be a deterrent. 
post edited by jinihammerer - 2013/04/19 07:18:06

My Affiliate Code: EB1-UCY-VA9N   

Mike_Knight
  • Total Posts : 94
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 07:43:13 (permalink)
The biggest problem I see with the CC is that it gives many of our dedicated folders a sour taste in there mouths. This is supposed to be the biggest contest of the year, but all it does is create bickering within our team and i'm sure many other teams. We are EVGA, we are the biggest team in this contest. Everyone wants to say they beat us, and because we are so large we end up giving other teams a 6x handicap. but the problem becomes that every point they get is work 6x's the points we get. So if they bring in 2 million points for the contest, we have to match that with 12 million points more than our normal production. None of our members can just fire up and extra 4p to cover that. Thats the biggest problem with the handicap system for me. I understand that the points will be more balanced after this year because there will be more stats to base off, but there will always be that handicap problem for EVGA.
This is my first CC and I already see that it is very destructive to our team. I hate to say it but currently the CC does nothing good for team EVGA. We have many folders that fold 24/7 that dont want to fold during the CC because they have been hurt by it more. Allot of the folders on this team donate allot of their time and money to folding, but cant allow themselves to folding in this "grand and amazing" contest. If the real reason for the CC is to promote folding then I don't see how its doing us any good on this team.

ASUS ROG Maximus V Gene, i7 3770K @ 4.6 Ghz, 8GB GSkill   Trident X 2400Mhz, EVGA GTX 680 SC 
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 08:08:38 (permalink)
texinga

Unless I'm misunderstanding the point, I expect that I'm one of the people that XZ references as being part of the reason that we are not winning CC today.  I don't disagree that the absence of my production has some effect.  But, I do have a word of caution in speaking that way about our members (not in anger but as a piece of advice).  Pointing to team members that are not participating in CC (for whatever is their personal reason), and the problems that result from it, is at the heart of why HardOCP does not fold in CC anymore.  We should be mindful of that experience and not resurrect that problem over here.

Tex there was NO reason to target any particular person..
I was in agreement with your motives they were good ones...

some would fold or crunch for other reasons - and thats OK
we can't get everyone

what I was saying 
Even if we had put forward a good attempt we could be #1

the stats analysis proves that we could have easily produced another 7MPPD
at least another 4M from top 100 let alone top 200-
Ive seen 1200 active members,currently we are at 900
and we added new members since that peak

why should ie be easy in a cake walk to win?..ie guaranteed to win?
what I was showing by analysis is that bringing us to a peak performance we could have easily beaten the others

I agree the handicap wasn't perfect ...I pointed out how it will still benefit smaller teams - which it does
big folders for a small team will skew results - which is why any handicap system will always go against us

I have been pushing having two contests... a straight PPD race in the CC
why two - one for a handicap system and one for a non-handicap
this is the only way to balance it - all the handicap systems so far have show  that any system - because of the makeup will benefit smaller teams more 

take OCAU 3M PPD  lets take 1, 2 or three top dogs from [H]
OCAU- doubles,triples,Quadriples production 
and run any number of handicaps -  see the results under this system 6x and multiple 4x more
and what if someone goes out and gets a mainframe...and produce 10M PPD - there are some system testers out there with access to hardware in production

and what if we add teams smaller than OCAU (lets say 1MPPD) so lets go for 10x fold factor here

now are we gonna question every folder - get credentials and see if they are really a member of that team (they can use false names)
they could say yes.... and 1 week later legitimately leave or quit folding
and there is still nothing stopping people from folding other people rigs under a known regular member and that person can say - ya I got some rigs for a while to run

and if we start locking out questionable folders that join a contest (ringers) then we could be penalizing possible new members
which goes against the spirit and reason for having the contest - namely Growth,adding new membership and awareness- growing FAH
rather than stagnating all your teams(referring to the smaller teams here) and expecting a handicap come rescue your team so you can win the chimp 
this does nothing to push your team to grow because you get rewarded for staying small 

now back to the reason for second contest - namely straight PPD to push the other teams to grow and bring [H] back in
Straight point is the only fair system - no formula - just raw numbers - you win or lose by getting members
if you want to beat EVGA or [H] or OCN then you do it by growing your membership
if you think we should be PO'd look at OCN

#2 there have never been any rules regarding signup - and there is no way to police it
how do you know if you don't have a serious number from [H] here or another team? - if they do it anonymously
you willing to question every member on EVGA or who fold for EVGA without an account (just by having a team number to 111065) 
#3 last point - lets work as a team - accept the handicap or system we are given (we can complain about it after the CC) but currently do everything we can to make it work - rather than saying it's not fair and quit or give up, or rant about it , and in so doing it scares off, un-motivates people to fold . Again this goes against the spirit of folding and the contest.

once the contest is over work to make it work next year - post your comments then and try to help make it work next year 
and by god sake next year drop the complaints from the get go and work our butts off as a team to show justice as to what this team can pull off - we are no where near our peak still

we can post our complaints in post-contest thread - or CC2014 or CC2015 discussion thread
post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/19 08:50:17

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 08:17:15 (permalink)
Win the chimp?  Yeah... for what?  It has no value.  It's a meaningless symbol.  It has been that way for a long time.  As I said, keep it.

The team hasn't stagnated and frankly even 7M with the handicap is merely a finger in an already cracked dyke. 

The point is people don't fold BECAUSE of this contest.  Many would just as soon not contribute to play in a sandbox that has landmines in it.  Can't say I blame them.  In fact I've come to be one of them.

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 08:38:30 (permalink)
I never said the team was stagnant...
I said other teams like OCAU were...we haven't seen serous growth on a lot of smaller teams

I agree - one of the main reasons we are doing so bad is some members won't fold for the chimp because of the 

1, formula
2, perception it's biased against us
3. bad taste left in mouth from previous years

and I totally agree with a lot of comments here

I have no magic bullet here (I almost had a PPD race in 2011)

I think OCAU had the right idea - break it up and have different contests 

or have a +/- contest
based on team max PPD
sum[daily PPD-team max PPD] 
this would subtract off lets say 40M PPD and we based on the amount of PPD over it
other teams would have the same thing happen

then it's a race to get the most new PPD (or most new members with that PPD) over your MAX
no multipliers - no handicap
it has a leveling affect - everyone on PAR

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/19 09:00:39

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 08:52:29 (permalink)
Xavier Zepherious
I agree - one of the main reasons we are doing so bad is some members won't fold for the chimp because of the 

1, formula

Maybe it's just me, but do we really need to keep saying this in this way?  I don't agree that this is the "reason"...it is a result of some of those three items you listed and actually much more than those three things.

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 08:56:57 (permalink)
Oh well... either way.  I'm off to team VGT to help.  I'll still be folding but like I said I rather enjoy throwing a monkey wrench into other teams plots against us.

Everyone is more than welcome to join me for the last few days of CC.  I'll be guest folding for team 38156 until the CC is over then back here.  I may not upset the apple cart but I know this if we did this as a team and folded for VGT for the last few days then we could put an end to this nonsense and serve notice it will no longer be tolerated!

Do you stand with me! (Insert pirate Arrrggghhh! here)

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 09:20:42 (permalink)
texinga

Xavier Zepherious

1, formula

Maybe it's just me, but do we really need to keep saying this in this way?  I don't agree that this is the "reason"...it is a result of some of those three items you listed and actually much more than those three things.

should be "some" not "one"
and there are probably more reasons

and yes you could look at it as the results of the chimp is this (these results)
(chicken before the egg question)
I like flipping it  and saying were causing our own doom from the get go at the beginning

both have to be looked at ...
even if we fix the contest.. it's a matter of perception-

let say we had a perfect system (hypothetical- totally non-handicapped)
lets say everyone has a bad taste leftover or don't trust it or say it rigged..and we lose again because of team participation
and we still find reasons to say it's rigged when it's not and for reasons Not to fold

now - first thing is to fix the contest 
this will help alleviate the other problem - having a format everyone can trust or know is fair would go a long way

second would be to run a internal contest at the same time (this would be our focus)... the CC is just a afterthought
that way we are focused on our own goals rather than the chimp  

--------------------
in any event... if anyone didn't want to participate for these reasons - then do something else you love to do - like crunch or help out another team
[H] wouldn't be my choice because we are trying to overtake them - but you wanted to thx them...and rightly so
just hope [H] comes over and does the same every once in awhile (I assume they do...but I never notice)

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/19 09:39:39

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 09:49:57 (permalink)
Xavier Zepherious
now - first thing is to fix the contest 
this will help alleviate the other problem - having a format everyone can trust or know is fair would go a long way

I have had a very basic question, understanding that many people agree that the contest needs "fixing".  Given the issues that we raised this year in the 2013 development thread, why didn't we take the time to "fix" things?  Why did we decide to launch the contest (as designed)? 

Now, before anyone jumps to "let's not look backward", I want to explain why I raised the question.  You see, when people raise thoughts, issues, share new ideas as we did this year, and then we don't see that we took the time to implement, address, test and make the contest better, it leaves a wrong impression. 

Before we say things like this team is "causing our own doom", how about taking a moment to first consider (as Troy suggested) that the contest design practices don't allow for the team to fix the recurring issues with CC?  How can we make the contest better if we don't (at some point) say "hold the presses, let's fix the problem even if it delays a deadline" (or date in this scenario).

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 10:46:05 (permalink)
I started early....Like the start of feb
other teams did not deem it necessary to start early in discussions even with me pressing it,,,
they didn't even consider starting until I pressed it apon them

and then it didn't really start until Mid march

OCN had capt switches

then NO Capt forum - Zodac's forum locked out
Axipher had to create new one and then get the capts to sign in
(which took weeks)
we didn't even have all the team capts (OCAU had none)

TSC had interpreter issues (took me weeks just to get a hold of someone after posting and pm'ing)
and then we had an interpreter I had to post thru(because their capt requested it)

the teams had agreed to not go later than april (heat) otherwise no CC anyways
I was pushing the end of april...because of the lack of progress 

TPU and bit tech just accepted what was posted for a formula by adak- they offered no suggestions - nor did they accept any from EVGA -including last years

HWC,OCN,OCF and EVGA were the only one basically on it
at least HWC offer ideas and so did OCN

Common concensus from other teams - formula too complicated - wanted simple formula  

with only a few days to carry out any votes on any issues
with deadlines looming and april coming up

VGT had no say - new team 
TSC had basically none - never on
OCAU had none - no capt

TPU and BIT-TECH barely on
so getting them to consider anything or vote was a problem

expediency was the problem - 1 week to come up with a formula?
or a format
after waiting for the teams to read and discuss anything for weeks

again the process is the problem
no openness
no feedback to the members
some team capts barely plugged in or teams for that matter
no progress for months let alone weeks

this is what happens behind close doors
this is why if there is to be a CC it starts on day 1 after this one with discussions - just so they plug in - talk and have the whole year to work on it rather than waiting to the last minute to look at and decide on something

I even brought up EVGA's ideas in the thread again to have them look them over again.

time was of issue - Adaks was better than last years or  the year before
Most members assumed adak did enough analysis to make sure it balanced...even after I suggested the numbers should be slightly lower for each team to make it harder for each team to make it over the next team above them 

there has to be some effort to overcome a bigger team

ie...a last place team in the stanley cup (hockey) bottom of top 24 beats overall #1... there has to be some effort for the underdog

or a 100M dash - we know who the record holder is
do the other countries quit or not race because they know the most likely outcome?
---------------------

Im just one vote - just one person (with no co capt - devdog wasn't around)

like I said before process is the issue
more eyes...more minds the better - openness and transparency should be tantamount to force the team capts to talk and discuss things...

the fact that no one saw anything (no posts)or see activity of there capts or of any progress doesn't push the capts to talk or negotiate
this breeds what you see in politics.. a body that achieves nothing but dodo

if we have a CC these things have to be addressed

1. openness
2. plenty of discussion by teams
3. inclusion of all teams in discussions (rather than not having some teams present at all-..ie TSC,OCAU)
4. lots of time to review and amend stuff and vote
5. starting early - no waiting to last few weeks to plug in and expect miracles - like start immediately following this - or we say - fine goodbye we are out

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/19 10:49:17

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 11:00:37 (permalink)
Heh...I'm going to go find some "cats to herd".  Here kitty...

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 11:06:29 (permalink)
I've already made up my mind about this whole sordid affair.  It sort of reminds me of cattle rancher Mr. X saying... oh by the way we accidently poisoned your water which led to accidently poisoning all your sheep but heck... let's be friends.

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 11:25:15 (permalink)
how about trying out the +/- system and dynamic handicap system next year - while running a straight PPD race

3 categories

straight PPD
pros : simple  - not easily thwarted by ringers
cons: most teams have no chance under this system except maybe [H] and OCN

Dynamic handicap
pros: handicap - zero's your new growth each new day - so the onus is to grow your team each day - otherwise you get no more points

cons: more complicated - there could be varying ways to implement
...... : ringers still have influence

+/- system
pros definitely more fair - puts everyone on par - and it's about growing team PPD over your current max)
cons- can be thwarted by ringers - any system can be thwarted by ringers 
in fact in a straight PPD race all of [h] could go to OCAU or OCN or OCF and spoil that - just not as likely

have 3 trophies for that year
at least in this way we can test out models while having a standard PPD race

I still think either of the two new models would be more fair
and there is nothing stopping us from keeping one of them and going down to two the year after and having a PPD and a  formulated race

Edit update:
we are already discussing changes and are posting ideas early
I think some of the teams got the message from me that participation in the process was really bad this year
topics up for discussion:
Date,
length,
ringers
formula
...and I posted about process as well
as Adak said in the capts thread -post CC discussion

We need to look at lots of idea's so we can choose among several, not just one or two idea's.
post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/19 13:32:00

troy8d
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2817
  • Ribbons : 10
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 13:55:00 (permalink)
That's quite the wall of text you all produced today!    A few things I think that we should keep in mind:

• There is absolutely no reason to be accusing/blaming anyone on our team for not participating.  The contest is fundamentally broken in its current form and it is understandable why people would not want to be a part of it.  Pointing fingers is only destructive to our team - and is one of the main reasons [H] no longer participates in the Chimp Challenge.  I think they may be on to something here - if the "its your fault we didn't win for not folding folding more" keeps resurfacing I will begin to heavily lobby that we never again participate in the CC.
  • More important than the broken contest design is the broken design process which have been outlined numerous times in this thread.  We all commend XZ for his incredible efforts to get the CC teams organized and attempt to improve this.  He's done all we could ask and more to foster participation and collaboration among the teams with no results.  Just saying "we need to get everyone to work together" isn't going to fix the fact that people don't want to work together, or even want to work at all.
  • The Chimp Challenge is an incredibly complex contest to manage.  There is no easy answer and there are a large number of factors to take into account, but its not even worth discussing anything about the format or the formula or whatever unless we have reason to believe that other teams have genuine interest in changing the design process or we come to the consensus that it is worth participating without caring about the "official" stats.

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/19 14:20:42 (permalink)
ya it is troy

the fact we have members saying we couldn't win at all just PO'd me - the fact remains it was very possible - analysis showed that

so we don't win this year No big deal...
I suggest we go into next year just to put up a good showing as well (not to win - just to have fun)
Id be happy in 2 or third for a few years and lets the other teams win it a few times

and that's if I see some goodwill changes from the other teams before I suggest we do on the process and talking now
then see if the team likes any new system before we say we go into it

Im not going thru this again - start in jen or feb and get nothing until the last few weeks ...under deadlines and absent voters[non votes]

if this happens... it happens now - like Im doing on the capt forum talking about ideas changes this year - a full year away

lets discuss it now while we have attention on it...while we have plenty of time to discuss it and vote on it letting everyone vote and have no absent voters

races aren't necessarily fair

the fact we are a close second or third is a hell of a lot better than being dead last or near dead last with the amount of PPD we produce (last last couple of years)

it also be a good idea to post any new formula or ideas so I can post them now
I should also post in the capt thread to revisit our suggestions from the previous CC discussion thread that were dismissed

post comments:
1) starting date in April: Good, Bad, or Indifferent? (GBI)  
If Bad, what starting date would you like?

2) no "Chimp" name change required to enter the race: G/B/or I?

3) Length of the race - was it too: long, short, or perfect in length?

4) Outside your own team Recruiting. I'm not sure we can always stop this, even if we wanted to. Do you want to OK outside recruiting, or (try) and ban it?

5) Did you prefer the handicap system that was used last year, or this year's? 

6) questions for feedback of this year's CC, please post them up. We need to look at lots of idea's so we can choose among several, not just one or two idea's.
-------------
I put for myself

1. good
2, good
3, good- could be longer tho (OCN thinks 2 weeks)
4.hard to ban or police - lets try coming up with a system that reduces the likelyhood of spoiling
they can use different names(than their own forum)....so tracking by name is impossible

lets try to ban chimp names and common folding under a single name
lets try to convince members that do switch to do so the next year under their own team -including [H] members

5. it was better for Us than last years
but it's not a good system 

6. I posted this year's earlier ideas and then some more
+/- system, Dynamic Handicap
and having a dual or triple system

straight PPD and a formulated system(s)...using a new formula/handicap - which has been tossed about a few times
heck we can give out 2 or 3 trophies if we are expanding ...like to add 3 or more members next year...maybe more?

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/19 14:53:08

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile