EVGA

LockedChimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread...

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
sbinh
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 10:09:22 (permalink)
Viper97

Meanwhile, I'm pirating and helping team VGT.  It may not put them in the lead but it will serve notice.

I for one don't believe the CC is worth the effort.  XZ tried but again I don't think there is an interest in our voice as a team.  So be it.  Those that don't listen often marginalize themselves.

We - VGT - really appreciate if you would please STOP folding for our team.
We don't need your "HELP" .. and please DO NOT use our team as as a "TOOL" for you to revenge  or to protest against other team.
What you are doing is just as bad as those "helpers" / "ringers".

Regards.
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 10:15:07 (permalink)
Macaholic

Adak1

We've done well the past two years, because I've learned that being a less active captain within the team and forum, means the team will race poorly. It doesn't matter how much you work in the Captain's forum, you also have to do a lot of work in the public forum, or your team , still the Ants will continue to win - because they're getting stronger every year, and the Bats never do.

The idea is to reward the team that has grown in strength, since last year, AND has a good race with:
*good full participation by it's members
*lots of recruiting
*lots of excitement in the forum during the race, to attract still other racers
who just want to be in on a fun event. We get a few every year that way.

Does my algorithm make better sense now?

Yes, I am. You will not admit it, but you have NO facts to support your assertions, and yes, obviously, the handicap system WILL rebalance the teams, after every race. You know it. I know it. Everybody who studies it knows it.

You can either accept facts, or not.  I have listed several facts that support my argument. You have never refuted a single one of them. All you have are your smears and innuendos - and wow! maybe a conspiracy!

Any 8 year old can understand 95% of my handicap system, because it's SO clear and simple. A balance is equal and fair, and you can call it any name you want, but it won't change the facts.

Weaker teams than EVGA need to be given a higher multiplier. Stronger teams than EVGA need to be given lower multipliers.

It's so simple, I'm amazed that you find the temerity to argue against it.

The facts were presented but you ignored them. Your definition of "recruiting" must change to inviting as an active participating team. They have been identified as Tom's Hardware, PC Pitstop, and The Raptor Pit. They are weaker teams and will be given a higher multiplier to race on their own. You knew from last year's Banana Boat payback that they would be willing to participate but you conveniently simply "recruited" them. That stacked the deck. Thus, this should be a promotional event and not a race, if current ideas of recruiting stand. Mustering in team members is encouraged, cannibalizing smaller teams should not. Those smaller teams should be invited to race standing on their own merit. No conspiracy. Just the facts.

Edit - for the sake of complete disclosure and facts for you, here is Operation Banana, and here is a list of teams that should have been invited to fold on their own merit.

so this is what Axipher is referring to in the CC Capt forum?

no wonder he was complaining about ringers - tsk tsk OCF
and Paying them?

I wonder what would happen if we told {h] they fold for us one month we fold for them two
you'd get the whole team or a good swatch of it 

as I posted in the CC
the reason to have these contest is recruitment for New permanent members
  not to go fetch a portion from each team (that you wan to invite into the CC),stack the deck(with High PPD producing members too) - with temp folders so you can win...it be fine if they participated by opting a few into each team
And most wouldn't mind a few from each team (2 or 3) 

if they had interest we could have included them prior to The CC and let them have a trial run

the other reason is the promotion of FAH - to grow FAH and get new teams started  and new members everywhere
the race is icing on the cake

going to other teams and getting them to switch for 1 race does nothing to meet any goals other than help a team win a race
EVGA doesn't get much help - one can say it's has the opposite affect - most go to other teams to try and topple us

Ringers:
I noted having ringers with any multiplier system would skew results - specially with smaller teams High multiplier -
more skewed with big influx or high PPD users

I noted it still favor the small teams prior to the CC and this would be one of the issues

it's better than zodac yes (that was expontential) better than last year yes (that was a multiplier system too)

what we have to do is find a system that doesn't multiple the affects of ringers,
hence the two new ideas we posted - and I suggest all the teams look at them  

Seeing that axipher (OCN) and EVGA is not happy about the ringer situation...I don't see your formula surviving next year even if there is a CC or if EVGA is in it

Adak you have to really reconsider your formula - and let the Other teams have a say and decide this for themselves
that means early discussion - full participation from ALL teams including any invites or possible invites
that means everyone votes - and not abstentia - non votes by a majority

All the deadlines did was to gave us no choice but to compromise to have something (and not the best solution or have any discussion on a better solution)...and forcing people to vote or be non-counted by a date - would be distasteful if my vote was taking away

the roughshod means of the CC design process - this is really bad
where teams don't plug in until the last month and weeks
and once down to a few weeks - because of necessity - deadline are put in place and discussion are cut short  and so are votes

most don't have input - because the time is so short they by the time they notice the discussion or vote has gone by - this is whats killing it
if this isnt addressed I dare say we are in it 

ya most of the small team could care less about the formula - remember I had most of the team agreeing to a straight PPD race in 2011 - even MPC wanted that back this year
I think most would go for a dual system - to reflect the reality of the different teams sizes

last thing Adak: your posts here have been far more harmful to folding than anything else here - It came off as overbearing and obnoxious at times...  
Had you taking the criticism..and said ya my system is far from perfect -it needs some real help and input from other teams and had asked for troy or others to help out they would have - I dare say they would now

To my team: thx for remarks ..
You're a great team and it's my honor to be on YOUR TEAM - you guys are the reason I try to work this out and get it right.
Id suggest we get someone to either replace me or co- capt with me with some chops and ability to come up with a viable solution this time

or 

lets just do our own thing... have our own contest goals at that time
if the other teams smarten up then we will be back
we will still work on the CC but leave  the final say on go til feb -
if the teams have had discussion or a real constructive discussion by then and  should be all means have a final votes by then (nearly a full year of discussions)

if nothing has moved or the teams don't want to work on it why should we?
post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/20 10:36:58

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Macaholic
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 338
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 10:23:22 (permalink)
Adak1

That's why we DON'T  do that!

The recruits ARE included into the handicap - just exactly like they were part of the team, all along. That's WHY we use RACE data, and not regular team ppd, or points/month.

That completely eliminates sandbagging in the CC - unless you want to throw a year or two of racing, away. 

Inviting those "recruited" teams to fold on their own with their own handicap reduces sandbagging and promotes more of their own team spirit while getting more folding done. They have to rally their own troops to RACE instead of a join to beat Goliath promotional EVENT.

Fold! It does a body good!™
Mac Pro Dual Quad Core X5570 - 2 x Mac Pro Dual Quad Core X5365 - 2 x Asus Z8NA-D6C, Dual Hex Core E5645 - Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 12-Core Opteron 6174 - Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 16-Core Opteron 6272 - Tyan S8812, Quad 12-Core Opteron 6166HE - Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 12-Core Opteron 6164HE - 5 x EVGA Classified GeForce GTX 590

jinihammerer
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1151
  • Ribbons : 8
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 10:25:48 (permalink)
Easy solution.

No More CC. Its bogus, its nothing but a sham and it does more harm then good.

Have you ever thought of maybe a marathon. a  Foldathon....  All the teams bind together to work and get sponsors involved, get media coverage not just on your own forums.
 Try to the gaming scene involved. The Computer manufacturers and hardware manufacturers involved. get MS Apple, IBM. get CBS,  NBC, fox new, CNN everyone we possibly can that will listen.

The world news is filled with bad news threats to our lives and our world. We need to show people, I am going to quote J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers, "There is some good in this world and it's worth fighting for!"

Get the word out that we are trying to do here.. Get so many people folding that they need to add new servers just to handle the overflowing WU's.

That a tall order I know but i would be a whole lot more feel good then CC is.

My Affiliate Code: EB1-UCY-VA9N   

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 10:26:23 (permalink)
sbinh

Viper97

Meanwhile, I'm pirating and helping team VGT.  It may not put them in the lead but it will serve notice.

I for one don't believe the CC is worth the effort.  XZ tried but again I don't think there is an interest in our voice as a team.  So be it.  Those that don't listen often marginalize themselves.

We - VGT - really appreciate if you would please STOP folding for our team.
We don't need your "HELP" .. and please DO NOT use our team as as a "TOOL" for you to revenge  or to protest against other team.
What you are doing is just as bad as those "helpers" / "ringers".

Regards.

Why?  Since you also fold for OCN and [H]?  Last I heard I could join any team.  Have a nice day!
post edited by Viper97 - 2013/04/20 10:31:10

sbinh
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 10:32:41 (permalink)
Viper97

Why?  Since you also fold for OCF?  Last I heard I could join any team.  Have a nice day!

Since when I fold for OCF? :) ...Prove it!

I do believe that you can join any team, but we DO NOT appreciate your "HELP" - specially after you have "conflict" with somebody  and/or dislike how this CC runs.

You are more than welcome to fold for VGT team after the CC is over.
sbinh
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 10:42:06 (permalink)
bill1024

sbinh

Viper97

Why?  Since you also fold for OCF?  Last I heard I could join any team.  Have a nice day!

I do believe that you can join any team, but we DO NOT appreciate your "HELP" - specially after you have "conflict" with somebody  and/or dislike how this CC runs.

Look all the way at the bottom team. Is that proof?
http://fah-web.stanford.e...age&username=sbinh

You need put your glasses on. It was OCN not OCF.
I already mentioned in another thread here before. I USED TO help OCN during CC in 2011.

Here is the proof .. REAL proof. ..... :D
http://folding.extremeove...ry.php?s=&u=568140
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 10:49:19 (permalink)
bill1024

If you want to have a race you have to have rules.

Do you want a bracket race?
A handy-cap head-start race?
A heads up race?
Something like a marathon race where there are no teams?

Most races have a set number of racers, or you run into sandbagging.
You have to have a good average for the racers to have a fair handy cap.
To add racers to it later throws off the numbers.

Or are we just taking it to serious?
Just call it an event and not a race or contest.

I am just throwing out some ideas.

jinihammerer
Have you ever thought of maybe a marathon. a  Foldathon....  All the teams bind together to work and get sponsors involved, get media coverage not just on your own forums. 
 Try to the gaming scene involved. The Computer manufacturers and hardware manufacturers involved. get MS Apple, IBM. get CBS,  NBC, fox new, CNN everyone we possibly can that will listen. 

I think we discussed a such an idea twice now
although not a foldathon

more like our lets beat 1BILLion points

but do it as a concentrated effort by all teams - no race the goals is to fold our **** (whoops should have been butts) off to get that or none of us get the Green monkey - if we beat it we get it

again - the other teams dropped it...if it wasn't a race they weren't in it

I suggested a bracket race in the OLD Capts thread - however with out rules or a fair formula we are in the same boat
with OCF ringers any formula would have been useless under this

...the foldathon I like - and getting PR is what I think is needed
this is exactly what needs to be done - that means team capts going to sponsers and to the online gaming and media site to generate PR

With PR and press comes scrutiny and these shenanigans end - maybe the sponsers work out some fair racing system

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/20 10:52:47

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 10:54:34 (permalink)
Actually I typed OCF automatically.. it is OCN... but then again the proof.   Sorry Sbinh... that was my mistake. 

post edited by Viper97 - 2013/04/20 11:01:40

Attached Image(s)

sbinh
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 10:57:32 (permalink)
bill1024

sbinh

bill1024

sbinh

Viper97

Look all the way at the bottom team. Is that proof?
http://fah-web.stanford.e...age&username=sbinh

You need put your glasses on. It was OCN not OCF.
I already mentioned in another thread here before. I USED TO help OCN during CC in 2011.

Here is the proof .. REAL proof. ..... :D
http://folding.extremeove...ry.php?s=&u=568140

I wasjust asking, and you are correct and you did not fold for ocf.
At least not under the name sbinh.
OCN, OCF sorry I have OCD

I have nothing else to say but kindly ask all evga folders to stop folding or please don't fold for VGT team during this CC.
Thank you!
Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 10:58:40 (permalink)
Alrighty now... the game is over... I actually went back to our team before this was all boiled over.  I had actually thought about it and it seems you can't tell who is friendly or the enemy outside our team.  So, I am just going to treat it as a done deal. 

I've blocked two members simply because I find their justifications misleading and dishonest.  All... I'm going to skip this thread now as it is getting to the point of where we are all saying the same thing either change it and make it work or get the heck out.

I'm getting out.  I really do understand why now this CC is disliked by many team members. 

sbinh
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 11:11:59 (permalink)
Viper97

Actually I typed OCF automatically.. it is OCN... but then again the proof.   Sorry Sbinh... that was my mistake. 

No biggy... If you read my reply to bill, I used to fold for OCN during CC 2011. That's how I know all about Chimp Challenge, and that's why I introduced CC to my team and join CC this year.
Check this post (if you didn't read it) http://forums.evga.com/fb.ashx?m=1912655

Adak1
  • Total Posts : 51
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 12:01:19 (permalink)
bill1024

Adak1

bill1024

Since "sub rosa" recruiting of others can't be prevented, and will happen, why not make it a part of the race?

That's fine then, but there can't be a handy cap.
There is an old saying.
Race what you brung, and hope you brung enough.
To make a handy cap with team data, then bring in racers that are not a part of that data, is sandbagging.

If you win that way and feel good about it, well then good for you.
I wouldn't.

That's why we DON'T  do that!

The recruits ARE included into the handicap - just exactly like they were part of the team, all along. That's WHY we use RACE data, and not regular team ppd, or points/month.

That completely eliminates sandbagging in the CC - unless you want to throw a year or two of racing, away. 

The trouble I see with that it is not a definite number.
That data may of had 100 people, now this year you dug up 50 more.
It can't work like that, can it?.

That's right - there is no definite number. If I have a 100 member team, and I bring in 100 recruits, then it's the same as if I had a 200 member team. And I would have an advantage in the CC that year, because of the added folding strength.

But that lasts only ONE year. After that, if I have only 75 recruits, I'm automatically penalizing myself by 25 recruits. If I bring in no recruits next year, I'm penalizing myself 100 recruits.

So the handicap "follows" the team's performance in CC, every year.

Unlike at a track - or any physical location, I have no way to verify a list - you could put down anybody and there's no way of checking it's authenticity. Also, it's time consuming.
jinihammerer
FTW Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 12:10:50 (permalink)
Just how is that remotely considered a race. WHO races like that... show me one sport one event any where that has such twisted idea of what a race is.

God I swear people have their own little realities... 

drougnor
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2715
  • Ribbons : 18
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 19:06:51 (permalink)
The conversation is circling in different ways, so I want to interject a few points, if I may.

The whole point of the Chimp Challenge, as I remember it was to do a few differening things:
  • - Foster growth through NEW recruitment
  • - Foster a larger sense of community both within each team and within the larger folding community as a whole
  • - Spread the word as to what Folding at home is and what the  hopeful goals are
  • - Be FUN
  • - Overall, be an annual event to gather the varying forums back together again in friendship.
I will grant that these weren't really ever written in stone, but this was the impression I gathered over my time working with zerran2001 back in 2010 to gather and post the hourly stats, as well as the many hours I spent in the central Chimp Challenge chat, gabbing it up with the various teams.

I'm NOT going to go back over what has been rehashed and restated time and time again - That's called beating a dead horse.

What I WANT to see is those core tenants brought back into the center of focus.

Whoever wins the Jaded Monkey, the end goal is to bring MORE people into the Fold, to bring ALL participating communities closer together and for the SCIENCE to benefit as we increase the number of people joining the cause, and to make it FUN so they chose to stay!

Hopefully, these are points we can all agree upon - as well as the idea that next year's contest needs to have work started the day after completion!  After all, the more involvement we get leading into the kickoff, the smoother it will be, from ALL sides. 

So, let's drop the bickering, and agree that we can all put our big boy/girl pants on and DO this thing and do it RIGHT.

Please??

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 20:22:01 (permalink)
Many of us have said the same thing and we support you! Now where did I place my good manners keyboard... It is laying around here somewhere...

jinihammerer
FTW Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/20 23:41:49 (permalink)
I would like to step back and apologize. 

I really am not trying to be harsh but certain things tend to set me ablaze.

I am very much aware that everyone here is actually involving them selves in CC is doing so with the best intentions. The world is made up of all kinds of people with all kinds of views of what is and what is not fun.

Its like in the world of online gaming. Some people love love love their PVP and some people can't stand it. Its why i never MMO anymore.. I am not a PVP people.. 

The CC can work if its planned properly.

For one it needs to NOT be billed as a race and ALL teams participation needs to be encouraged. Big,small fast slow who cares, bring it to the table. The bigger and more visible we (not EVGA but folders of all kinds) become the more interest in participating grows.

Do you think in the Jerry Lewis telethon they made it all about who dropped the most money for the cause? Does it matter who won in a walkathon, has the biggest team, The fastest time? The last one in is often celibrated as much as the first. The cause comes first and participating is what's important.. 

It does not mean there cant be several categories of recognition of the years achivements mixed in with the event.

Top 5 largest producing teams
Top 5 largest producing individuals
Top 5 teams with the largest production growth over last year.
Top 5 teams with the largest active folder growth over last year.
Newest teams recognition
and an all folders recognition that we should look to Stanford to give.

Lots of teams have internal giveaways but its also an opportunity for sponsors to get a little attention too. Sponsor donations can be random prizes in a drawling that involves of all participants, there may be some legalities in there but its a thought. 

We need to go big or go home as they say. Every team every folder spends time, money research and deserves to be recognized for the dedication. This should be that event. That opportunity for the  people benefiting from the generosity of thousands to publicly say thanks.

If penny arcade can make not one but multiple PAX, some of the largest most popular gaming conventions of the year... there is no reason in the world with the companies and websites we have involved in folding that cant make this happen as well.. heck get involved with PAX too for all i know they may have their own folding team. 

There are always better ways. Just need to open the dialog. To rehash the same event is 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. 

post edited by jinihammerer - 2013/04/21 01:14:37

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/21 07:16:41 (permalink)
I do feel the need to add. I did ask in post # one, and I quote...

The rules...  
  • Always keep in mind the idea of the CC is to grow our team and other teams as we raise awareness to what Folding is. It is not about winning! However that can be "Part" of why we do it, it is not the only "Reason" to do it.
  • Post ONLY if you can start and follow through with an "Agree to Disagree" / "Constructive" comment, topic, discussion or response.
  • Any bickering or bantering, or even deliberate acts of pushing the "Spirit" of these rules will result in those posts being deleted.
  • We are looking for all to feel safe and free to offer their own thoughts/feelings on this topic. 
  • If you have a complaint/or have an issue with a part of the contest, great! We ask that you at least offer a solution to your complaint/issue in the same post you make to offer the complaint. Or two! 
  • Any EVGA member is welcomed to comment, regardless of their level of production, new, old, past, never have folded. It simply does not matter. Some of the best conversations, ideas come from those that once folded or never have.
  • All rules are subject to change as time allows, because Stone Cold Said So... 

And many of us have followed it. The problem is when an outside person is Pompous in communicating with us, it erodes the value of conversation and ruins the thread. To the point that I meant what I said. I am damn proud of every person that has ever helped, and refuse to participate in any way with the 2014 CC if Adak1 has any participation beyond his PPD with the CC.

To be clear. I as an individual want to help as I have proven over the years. However, I also must feel we are all trying to help every participant "Enjoy" and feel "A part of" events/contest/races the best we can. We may not ever be able to do that 100%, however I do feel it is our responsibility to try. Being Pompous is not only counterproductive in relationships, it has now hurt the CC. I have received a LOT more support over my decision than I could have guessed. I mention this as a way to demonstrate... That I am not the only one who is taking this approach, I am just the only one to have said it thus far.

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5066
  • Ribbons : 22
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/21 08:22:44 (permalink)
Well said AB and you have my agreement on all of your points.

So, getting back to what we are trying to do in this thread, I have some observations and a suggestion:

Observations:
  • The teams that seem to be most sensitive to setting CC rules, handicapping, etc appear to be larger teams that win most years anyway.
  • Smaller teams seem to be OK with running what they brought or possibly banding together with another team.  They are having fun, not complaining about handicaps, points standings, etc, just enjoying participating.
  • We run too close to the start-date every year (before CC development begins) to allow for the time it takes to work through new formulas, ideas, etc.  We don't appear to be having any success changing that situation either (case in point, the absence of Team Captain activity for several years running ).
  • We have old established teams that have decided not to participate in CC anymore (HardOCP and now MaximumPC).
  • The development of CC brings out the best and worst in people, but there is an identifiable trail of damage that builds during development of formulas, handicaps, etc.
  • No matter how simple that we say the "forumula(s)" are, many people don't understand them and end up just trusting what is done for the most part.
  • The contest does bring back old-time members that are not active Folders and to some degree brand new Folders that people invite or that stumble into Folding about the time of the contest.

Recommendation:
  • Go back to a straight points race as it was in the beginning.  I feel that the larger teams are "over-thinking" and trying to be fair with handicaps when there doesn't seem to be much indication that other smaller teams care about it.  This could bring back teams like MaximumPC if they could see a return to the basics of CC.  Many teams last year were totally fine with an all-out points race, but we pushed on for a handicap method anyway.  Maybe it is time to reel-back our protective thoughts and listen to what actually matters to smaller teams.  CC is not a sports-race, so it is OK to consider that the dynamics of what will make it work can be totally different than a professional race that demands handicapping.
  • The above suggestion means "no formulas or handicaps".  Getting rid of that element would remove the debates and so much time attempting to find that perfect formula that seems to be so hard to reach.  CC would not be plagued by the arguing over whether the formula was correct and we could spend more time recruiting for the event than debating/developing the handicap system.
  • Allow smaller teams to band together to compete with the larger teams (no restrictions).  If it is an all-out competition purely based on points, let it also be an all-out combination of teams that choose to do so.  This has the benefit of getting teams to reach across team lines and work together to win.  I personally feel that we can use more of that kind of stuff.
These are just observations and thoughts from the top of my head today, but they are based on what I've seen across several years now.  Sometimes, you have to step back from something and question whether what we are trying to fix actually needs fixing.  I think that is where we went in the wrong direction since the origins of the CC event.  It began very simply, was fun and people liked doing it too.  The more that we try to "fix" it, the further it seems to get from it's roots and original intent IMO.

Hope this helps and I'm not married to it, but do think we need to get back to some basic simple ideas that originally worked for what we know as Chimp Challenge. 

Adak1
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/22 10:00:45 (permalink)
In the very first CC's, the two competing sub-teams (the Spyder Monkeys of MaxPC,  and the Folding Monkeys of OCF), were very close in size and folding strength.

Your idea is good though, for a new race format. Extending it, I'm thinking of a raw points only race where:

*each team is given a group goal of ppd, for the race. The groups of teams would have roughly
equal folding ppd.

Say the goal for the groups was set at 100M ppd. and your team made 20M ppd. Then you could team up with any team (or teams plural), having less than 80M ppd, in total.

*Like now, no signups would be needed, and no name change either.

*Numbers of folders would be limited to the number of active folders for each group (team1+team2, etc.), before the race.

That should address the handicap signups, name change, and recruiting concerns.

This would be a fun race - roughly handicapped by using group max ppd number, but mostly, it should be fun. Lots of rather more friendly interaction among the teams.

jinihammerer
FTW Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/22 10:39:48 (permalink)
I was going to say something...

But I will just leave it very simple.

As long as CC is a race, it will never be fair and always filled with smoke and mirror tactics of winning. If it's not meant to be a promotional event, then it really has no reason to be an event at all.

I simply will stop folding for 10-14 days every year. Not that my numbers matter in the grand scheme of things.. but ..  I just think the race fouls the cause. 

Just my opinion and well, you know what they say about opinions.

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/22 20:59:47 (permalink)
put his foot in his mouth again it seems

Women Compete too

as for the combine team event....it was the guys proposing it over here

so lose the sexist remarks Adak
folding is not male oriented nor are contests of any nature(next thing you'll suggest is male bikini contest or a Male beauty pagent)

seems to me MPC disproved your Idea that folding can't be an event nor a foldathon - folding for a fallen comrade for a year and having other teams join in - it's busted

and in effect donated for a server at stanford to boot

1. Having teams pair up and race as one group, against other groups, should go a long way to fix the team-centric problems the CC has now. 

no way, unless they join as a full team and their stats use as a basis for a new handicap (then a combined new stats can be calculated)

No way you are to recruit by offering tit-for-tat (paying for ringers)

fold for us and we fold for you - this is off the table
then every team will do this

you fold for us 1 week we fold for you 2 ...imagine if EVGA had done that with [H]

it does nothing to increase membership and all it does is reward non-competing teams that wish to co-opt teams competing in the CC  to gain extra production boosts for both sides 

2. Competition is good, and brings out the very best in us. We don't need to shun it, or fear it, or despise it. People (who aren't dyed in the wool liberals), like competitions. We just need to keep it civil and avoid the problem areas: 

competition is good if the system is fair and teams decide to play with a certain ruleset to play fair

making deals all year to gain folders for 1 week with deals to fold for them in return - goes against any sense of fair play

General problems: 

*requiring signups or name changes 

NONE THIS YEAR

*having a handicap system. I tend to agree that no matter how good the system may be, it will be disparaged by some. 

Specially if only 1 or 2  teams had input and the format was hastly chosen and agreed on

if you want a fair system then everyone gets to help in designing it and voting on it and leaving no one left out

*having teams race alone, against other single teams. Inevitably causes team-centric pissing contests leading to quarrels -- leading to still more quarrels. This fixes that problem. 

Teams can race head to head or in straight competition all the time... DC contests come to mind
EVGA doesn't get in pissing contest there - and we don't complain we aren't at the top - even in a straight PPD race

*recruiting arguments. Recruits would be limited to those who joined before the groups were established perhaps? 

Not enough - You already have members who have run this year  - so they would be included and you could use them again

if your talking about recruitment only from the time of known participation in the CC(when we know the list) - well all 10 team have been in it so  they be known and you already have an establish base of folders and teams that may come over - this doesn't work...

if you want to limit ringers then lets talk DQ'ing teams that recruit them (you'd go to last place)
or double/triple the points off (Penalty)

race should be limited to permanent members that engage yearly for your team (not for 1 week or 10 days at the CC)
and new permanent members that will stay for the long haul - fold consistantly (this doesn't mean every day - just fold as and when... all year little bit here or there on a consistant basis I can live with)

*Your argument against any race, is an emotional one of "NO!". OK, but folding is a male-oriented activity, and males aren't attracted by promotional events like you are proposing. 

WHAT BS - and a sexist saying  

Instead of turning off your folding program, why not try to work with us on this change? It certainly has a more fun and promotional side to it, than the CC races we've had. 

I am ...so is axipher
axipher and me are in agreement we need more than 1 race
(one to be straight PPD)
and it has to be planned out well in advance - no last minute deals or discussions

Axipher agrees that your formula skews unfairly specially to those who recruit from other teams

Id say your format is dead next year already

A step in the right direction, isn't it? 

A step in the right direction means everyone gets something they want and compromise on other

the format going to have to be a compromise
something for both camps big teams and small teams

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/22 21:17:46

Adak1
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/23 01:34:08 (permalink)
The cold hard facts are in 6 years of having the CC its never been right, fair or remotely fun for 90% of the participants. To bring it down to terms you can comprehend.. You keep doing the same stupid pull my finger joke and its only funny to you. 

If you want to keep banging your head against that same wall. Well, its your head do what you like. But just cause you say its fun, does not make it so or that I need to participate in the same stupid activity. 

This may surprise you, but this is the FIRST year I have been a CC Captain. It's also the FIRST year that the protocols I wanted, were accepted:

*no name change required
*start of a fair handicapping system

I could not change recruiting rules this year, because our recruiting was well under way before the CC Captains could get into their forum, let alone make rules about it.

For the record: I don't like recruiting. It's a LOT of work, and takes a LOT of time. You can't just go into a team forum, make a sales pitch, and leave - you have to stay and build a relationship with the team members. In the case of PCPitStop, I folded over a million points for their team, to help make that happen. I do enjoy the friendships I've found on some of these visits, however.

Just look up "Adak" on EOC, and you'll see what I mean. Here:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/search.php

What isn't on the list is the time we spend paying back our SETI and Rosetta teams for their support in the CC. That can easily be another 3 weeks. By the time I get back to folding for me, it's Summer, and I can't fold much in Summer (I'm near the desert).

I believe a better CC would be possible by changing the format to Texinga's idea. There could be:

*no handicap, except a very easy group limit
*no recruiting
*no single team vs single team. Now it would be a team+team+team vs. team+team+team
with no limit to the number of teams in a group - just a limit on their total ppd (strength).

I believe this would be a much more fun race than the current CC, and this idea should be explored.

post edited by rjohnson11 - 2013/04/23 09:42:16
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/23 01:42:08 (permalink)
Tex's idea isn't all that bad... 

all you had to do is agree with it rather than say what you did in the first place

the problem will still lie in that it does nothing to promote ones own team forward
all it does is get teams to join up(temp job)..ie add team stats - rather than more their own recruitment forward

find an dandy to do so for the promotion of teams - getting more teams interested - but does - nothing for your own team

a team  can sit stagnant - not recruit new members - maybe lose some and still win if it can get banded with another team or teams

and why would we limit it to just the top 10 or 20 - there are thousands of teams that can join up as one

it will just be a pile in program - lets get as many teams to join up with, rather than moving your own team forward

this would only work if the max combined (team total)<= top team (less than preferable)
variables like no previous competition would give us no baseline for max PPD or ability each team has to produce and we be in a guessing game again
if be the onus of the bottom teams to step up and defeat the top team (even if it had a slight PPD advantage)
because the joined maybe have more than the Joined stats indicates (because a team never competed before)

it be quite possible the joined team output from existing stats could be less than top team (because of low output) but in reality they can produce much higher like 2x or 3x more

remember we are adding teams 3 or 4 or 5 more if we can.... maybe more as well

I can see this is an all out war of team signups...
what each team can sign up and how many team forums you can log into, state the reasons, they fold for themselves - but combined with yours stats for a chance to win the trophy(no sweat of their backs - not lose any points) -if they chose to join

and we run into other headaches of stats -and combining them again

Id rather have every team for themselves and work on a system that caters to both big and small
2 or 3 races in one contest - more than 1 winner

or like we have said before have a foldathon of sorts

I do offer an alternative to tex's team up..ie TAG TEAM style
random time in/time out - equal time for each members time in the competition - just that all teams must have partners even EVGA (would get banded with a very small team) and random luck of when the wu's drop and when each team get anonymously tagged in

you never know whose points would count or when - luck of the draw
(this would average the teams total output)

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/04/23 02:29:51

jinihammerer
FTW Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/23 04:03:23 (permalink)
Adak1 You really must be a joy to work with, its no wonder female students avoid your class. So blinded to your own condescending and demeaning behavior that you really have no clue how awful you present your self and your cause.

Do you even understand why its sexist Want to know a simple fact that screams out I am a sexist. It really comes down to being just this simple.

Why did you bring up I am a woman at all? What difference does it make?  

Are you saying women don't race? Should not be in computer fields? 
Are you saying I am running on emotions because I am a woman? Just what are you implying? Care to spell it out? 

You dismissed me and my thoughts with the condescending attitude that basically amounts to..  what the **** do you know you are just a woman.

You made it about me being a woman no one else.

post edited by jinihammerer - 2013/04/23 04:09:03

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/23 04:48:45 (permalink)
Adak, you can put me right back where you had me in your "impressions list".  Please don't endorse any of my suggestions because I dont want any of the credibility issues that people have with you landing on my input.  Here's a "fact" for you from me.  I don't like you or the negative, condescending statements that you continually deposit here.  Wake up and smell the coffee, plenty of people have recognized that you can't offer ideas without also sprinkling-in an insult.  You may not see it, but I really think it's more that you won't admit what people around you already know.

Please go back to your own forum and cause problems over there.  We don't need you or your disruptive comments here.  We would like to work on these ideas in peace and productivity without enduring your "pot stirring". Take it somewhere else, so we can at least try to get something done here. 

You appear to want to be a part of things here, but cannot seem to control your insults and are largely disliked.  Think on that for a minute.  Most people here (that are talking to you) don't like hearing from you.  We have a well respected member that goes out of his way to bend to others that won't be in CC if you have any part of the design.  I did not participate this year because I could not stomach being in a contest that you claim to have designed.  Please leave and talk about CC somewhere else.  I hope that is clear enough.

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/23 05:35:12 (permalink)
Hey Adak, a quick suggestion that you should at least consider.  We have a fair amount of poeple here (many that are have spoken about this in PMs to some of us) that are not interested in working with you to design future CC contests.  How about saving yourself and us a lot more issues and go work with another group of people on whatever you envision CC needs to be.  That way, we both get to move forward.  You have worn-out your welcome here and alienated people from wanting to consider what you have to say.  How about just moving-on and allowing the recurring debate about your "meanings" to reach a necessary end.

PS:  You are not just debating a point with Jini's feelings and impressions.  At least (4) others of us here also knew that what you said to her was not welcome or in any way necessary.  Just leave it lay because people here largely don't take these things you say as productive or helpful.

jinihammerer
FTW Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/23 06:05:44 (permalink)
Adak, 

Please just go on your way.

You have made it quite clear that you are neither interested in working with people nor are you trying to find solutions. You are more along the lines of an angry mean spirited forum troll. It stands to reason that an individual must clearly be in a delusional state of being when everyone around them clearly dislikes them and yet it's everyone elses fault.

Please be healthy and well and may whatever deity you worship bless you with good fortune. I see no point in continued conversation from this point.

Have a blessed day.
post edited by jinihammerer - 2013/04/23 06:06:57
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile