EVGA

LockedChimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread...

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 12:11:36 (permalink)
AB I totally agree with you about  what needs to be done

I believe the teams need to start workin the day after the last contest ends to setup the new one (fix any issues and make improvements) rather than wait to the last weeks again and force a format/formula on the teams with only a few days to read and chose anything (leaving a lot of input from the teams out - and most from not having any say at all)

this is no way to run or organize the CC. If the teams are serious we have to start from day 1 after this one.

ie lets fix it for good...even if it means we work on it all year

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Julian_Moore_III
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1701
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 16:12:42 (permalink)
More like Adick1 haha, see what i did there.

There is one race that if you get a handicap it make it harder to win it's called the human race. 

Handicaps are put in place to give everyone a chance of winning, the end result if all factors stayed the same from the data used would result in a tie.  Weird so the best thing if that we aren't the derps.
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/14 20:22:38 (permalink)
BTW... A little history lesson for those who do not know...

http://clintdavis.us/chimp_challenge_2009/history.php

history

In 2006, the Chimp Challenge was created. This initial race was between the folding teams of Overclockers.com and MaximumPC. Although a close race at many points, Maximum PC triumphed in the end. A graph of this battle to 500,000 points is availiable here.

The next race in 2007 brought together the same teams as before. Each side motivated to beat the other. MaximumPC didn't want to lose their title. But the Overclockers.com team was more motivated and won in the epic race to 1,000,000 points. A graph of the race is availiable here.

2008 brought two additional teams to the race. [H]ardOCP and OCAU joined the battle with Overclockers.com and MaximumPC. The four-way brawl was a hard fought match but in the end MaximumPC emerged victorious and passed the 5,000,000 point finish line first. The graph of this battle can be seen here.

Eight teams competed in the 2009 Chimp Challenge: Overclockers.com, MaximumPC, [H]ardForum, Overclockers Australia, EVGA, Overclock.net, TSC! Russia, and CustomPC. Overclock.net jumped out of the gate at full throttle and smoked all the other teams to win the jaded monkey. A graph will be provided when all the teams have crossed the finish line.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/15 06:10:59 (permalink)
Looking for the final stats for as many years possible. Anyone have them?

2012... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqJjQktZy8GkdFFlSjctandWTmNuSkhrSVFSZVFxOWc#gid=3

Something has to be done about this scoring system before this event becomes something it is not. This is to many years in a row where only three teams have a chance at the win, and all the others are so far behind it is (Place your own wording here)...

Macaholic
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 338
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/15 08:31:11 (permalink)
Afterburner

BTW... A little history lesson for those who do not know...

Eight teams competed in the 2009 Chimp Challenge: Overclockers.com, MaximumPC, [H]ardForum, Overclockers Australia, EVGA, Overclock.net, TSC! Russia, and CustomPC. Overclock.net jumped out of the gate at full throttle and smoked all the other teams to win the jaded monkey. A graph will be provided when all the teams have crossed the finish line.

Tired of hearing about the jade monkey. You know what the most tragic thing missing from all of this discussion is? There will be EIGHT "losing" teams that WON'T be sporting the dreaded cursed monkey paw! And that, my friends, is the greatest travesty of the ENTIRE contest!

Fold! It does a body good!™
Mac Pro Dual Quad Core X5570 - 2 x Mac Pro Dual Quad Core X5365 - 2 x Asus Z8NA-D6C, Dual Hex Core E5645 - Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 12-Core Opteron 6174 - Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 16-Core Opteron 6272 - Tyan S8812, Quad 12-Core Opteron 6166HE - Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 12-Core Opteron 6164HE - 5 x EVGA Classified GeForce GTX 590

JaskarnSidhu
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 837
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/15 16:12:34 (permalink)
How can I see my individual contributions to our team effort for this challenge?

Is there a break down within the team for this contest?

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/15 17:04:51 (permalink)
just check your stats(eoc) from the time you started to now against the full team production
no breakdown because there is no signup this year

johnerz
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2076
  • Ribbons : 7
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/15 17:19:00 (permalink)
Afterburner

2012... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqJjQktZy8GkdFFlSjctandWTmNuSkhrSVFSZVFxOWc#gid=3

Something has to be done about this scoring system before this event becomes something it is not. This is to many years in a row where only three teams have a chance at the win, and all the others are so far behind it is (Place your own wording here)...

A handicap system that is designed to have a very close finish to give all a chance to win - or is that a bit of a Novel idea??

LearjetMinako
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1246
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/15 17:50:41 (permalink)
Well, I got thrown a monkey wrench in my 24/7 folding plans.  I moved in to my new home, but only have WiFi network, and my other older router does not support bridge mode.  So I'm stuck swapping a USB WiFi stick between my main rig and the folding rig.  And I can't use the powerline ethernet adapters as they cause noise interference in my sound system.  Will need to run a ethernet hardline up the wall across the attic to the other side of the house where the router is.  So for now, I'm partially folding.

Crystal: Intel i7 930 3.6GHz(OC) / EVGA X58 758 / 3x 4GB Corsair XMS3 / GTX 660Ti FTW+ / 2x GTX 560Ti SLI
Quartz (mothball): Intel i7 2600k 3.8GHz / EVGA Z77 Stinger mITX / 2x 4GB Corsair XMS3 / GTX 660Ti SC
Mercury: Intel i5 3570k 4.2GHz(OC) / ASRock Z68 mITX / 1x 4GB Corsair XMS3 / 2x GTX 1660 Super
Cobalt: Intel i7 4710HQ 2.5Ghz / ASUS GL551JM-DH71 / 2 x 8GB / GTX 860m - Gaming/Physics/Astronomy Laptop
"Honesty" - Means telling the truth to your girlfriend comes at a price.
troy8d
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2817
  • Ribbons : 10
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/15 19:16:32 (permalink)
Afterburner

I believe I have a lot of the stats somewhere, I can check.  I also have some thoughts on why the system has consistently been broken and a proposal to fix it.  I will look for the stats and jot down my thoughts when I have a free moment (hopefully in the next day or two).

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/15 21:14:32 (permalink)
Well I can say this... Some of the confusion may be in what/how is being written vs. being said... And I quote...

Adak1 

The handicap system is simple as pie, and anyone who has ever run in a race, will know it is fair (as can be). First, the goal of the system is not to make all the teams finish EQUAL (a photo finish if you will) - that's NOT it. The goal is to give every team an equal opportunity, to win. The stronger teams in the race, SHOULD win. 

What doesn't matter: 

* size of the team 
* growth of the team 
* ability to sign up it's folders to a single folding name 
* production during the rest of the year 

First and foremost, the CC is a RACE - not a F@Home promotional event. A good race will always be a promotional event - people REALLY LIKE races, they always have. They like watching them, reading about them, if there is good writing on them, and they like racing in them, but the CC is a *race*, before anything else. 

And then in this post it is written... (For integrity purposes this is the entire post unedited in fairness to the author) http://forums.evga.com/fb.ashx?m=1913113

I highlighted the part that is confusing me..

Adak1 

The whole concept of handicapping is to give every racer the OPPORTUNITY to race well and win - it's not to give each racer an equal outcome in the race. This is the BIGGEST misunderstanding, and the source of a lot of bad feelings about the handicap system, this year. 

OCN, for example has certainly raced well in the past, but was almost certain not to finish well this year, because: 

1) Zodac (their captain in previous years) stepped down. There wasn't much enthusiasm by others, to step up and assume the position. 

2) Axipher took the captaincy, but also had a Captain's forum and a stats website to set up. That keeps him away from rallying OCN teammates. 

3) OCN's raw ppd, from May of 2012, has not risen as much as say EVGA, Vietnam Global, or OCF. 

Knowing this, I could have designed a system that would have allowed OCN to have a higher handicap (multiplier), and thus race better. Same for OCAU - they lost their captain a few weeks before the race, and valuable days were lost trying to even find someone to replace him. Same for HWC. They have lost some strong folders, and just have a "let's do it", level of enthusiasm for the race.  Which isn't enough to do your best. 

But that's not what handicapping does or should do. That would be me, introducing several bias factors to favor certain teams, and that's the LAST THING you want to do, when you handicap an event. How could you explain it if OCN actually won the race? Try explaining just WHY you gave them such an advantage? How would THAT be fair to the other teams, when they didn't receive any such advantage? It wouldn't be, obviously. 

There's no way you can quantify enthusiasm, or racing preparations, etc., but without them, a folding team will not fold its best.  That makes a lot of difference over the course of a 10 day race. 

Who SHOULD be doing well in the race this year? Based on team growth from May 2012 to April 2013, it should be: Vietnam Global, EVGA, and OCF. Not only did these three teams have excellent growth over that period, but they also showed a high level of enthusiasm. Indeed one power folder from VGT has been posting here, in OCN, and in other forums, as well, about the CC. Two others have posted PM's to me, in other forums. They're VERY enthusiastic! 

And THAT's why I get so hot under the collar when you post up about the bad handicapping system. You don't KNOW what handicapping is - and what you believe you know, is not correct. 

The FACTS (not your opinions or mine), are clear looking at the stats - the handicapping system is working just fine. Not because your team or my team are leading the race - because the teams that have strengthened the most over the past year, and are running well in the race, are the teams that are leading the race. 

So why do some teams seem to never do well in the race? Because they're not highly motivated, and they're not well prepared, and their team has not gotten stronger over the last year. 

That makes all the difference in the race, 

How is it that in the same post, we go from "Everyone" having the opportunity to race, to the other teams have no chance of winning because they are not motivated or well prepared? 
  1. If this is true (Not doubting here) than is that not a failure on the Captains not helping teams out? I mean come on. What race do we as humans not prepare for? Does not have rules/guides? Is not fair for all who participate to win? Let's see... A Person in a car, Person on a horse,  and a Person on a bicycle enter the same race. The one in the car hardly has to work at all... The horse does most of the work, and the hardest working human is on the bicycle... Yet dead last, exhausted, and told he/she sucks because the motivation was not there. It was not because of the way the race was designed... I see now...
  2. If this is not the case, than this seems more like an excuse to why the formula is not working or remove the weakness of the formula used? 
  3. If this is a "Race" does that not mean all are racing? Not "Three teams raced and six of us other teams just showed up to watch".
I could very well be not understanding the intent. It happens. However, how do any of us who reads that post of yours wonder how those "Other" teams would feel about your opinion of them and your formula once they read your explanation as to why the formula works but looks like it is not, in your words, So why do some teams seem to never do well in the race? Because they're not highly motivated, and they're not well prepared, and their team has not gotten stronger over the last year. ? I would not think it would be received very well.  

And lastly... In one post it is said, "It does not matter about the growth and successes before the race", and then in another post it is said, "Those that are going to have success in the race are those that have grown during the year"... huh?

And maybe I look for to much in a race. I for one am not a fan of one that you can see who is going to win early on. I would rather see at least half of the teams racing into the last day as a possible winner. THAT is exciting to me. Not sit back and watch one team win it while everyone else still tries to not finish last... That is what creates more production and a lot of fun.

Adak1
  • Total Posts : 51
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/15 22:22:17 (permalink)
The whole concept of handicapping is to give every racer the OPPORTUNITY to race well and win - it's not to give each racer an equal outcome in the race. This is the BIGGEST misunderstanding, and the source of a lot of bad feelings about the handicap system, this year.

OCN, for example has certainly raced well in the past, but was almost certain not to finish well this year, because:

1) Zodac (their captain in previous years) stepped down. There wasn't much enthusiasm by others, to step up and assume the position.

2) Axipher took the captaincy, but also had a Captain's forum and a stats website to set up. That keeps him away from rallying OCN teammates.

3) OCN's raw ppd, from May of 2012, has not risen as much as say EVGA, Vietnam Global, or OCF.

Knowing this, I could have designed a system that would have allowed OCN to have a higher handicap (multiplier), and thus race better. Same for OCAU - they lost their captain a few weeks before the race, and valuable days were lost trying to even find someone to replace him. Same for HWC. They have lost some strong folders, and just have a "let's do it", level of enthusiasm for the race.  Which isn't enough to do your best.

But that's not what handicapping does or should do. That would be me, introducing several bias factors to favor certain teams, and that's the LAST THING you want to do, when you handicap an event. How could you explain it if OCN actually won the race? Try explaining just WHY you gave them such an advantage? How would THAT be fair to the other teams, when they didn't receive any such advantage? It wouldn't be, obviously.

There's no way you can quantify enthusiasm, or racing preparations, etc., but without them, a folding team will not fold its best.  That makes a lot of difference over the course of a 10 day race.

Who SHOULD be doing well in the race this year? Based on team growth from May 2012 to April 2013, it should be: Vietnam Global, EVGA, and OCF. Not only did these three teams have excellent growth over that period, but they also showed a high level of enthusiasm. Indeed one power folder from VGT has been posting here, in OCN, and in other forums, as well, about the CC. Two others have posted PM's to me, in other forums. They're VERY enthusiastic!

And THAT's why I get so hot under the collar when you post up about the bad handicapping system. You don't KNOW what handicapping is - and what you believe you know, is not correct.

The FACTS (not your opinions or mine), are clear looking at the stats - the handicapping system is working just fine. Not because your team or my team are leading the race - because the teams that have strengthened the most over the past year, and are running well in the race, are the teams that are leading the race.

So why do some teams seem to never do well in the race? Because they're not highly motivated, and they're not well prepared, and their team has not gotten stronger over the last year.

That makes all the difference in the race,
Adak1
  • Total Posts : 51
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/15 23:24:13 (permalink)
Afterburner

Well I can say this... Some of the confusion may be in what/how is being written vs. being said... And I quote...

Adak1 
How is it that in the same post, we go from "Everyone" having the opportunity to race, to the other teams have no chance of winning because they are not motivated or well prepared? 

Imagine you're running a 100 meter dash. Your opponent has not been training - he's out of shape, and in warm ups, he's slow out of the starting blocks.

He has the opportunity to race - but his handicap won't change until AFTER this race, since he was in top form in previous races. He has no chance today of winning this race, but he had the opportunity to train, and arrive strong and fast - he just didn't do it.

1. If this is true (Not doubting here) than is that not a failure on the Captains not helping teams out? I mean come on. What race do we as humans not prepare for? Does not have rules/guides? Is not fair for all who participate to win? Let's see... A Person in a car, Person on a horse,  and a Person on a bicycle enter the same race. The one in the car hardly has to work at all... The horse does most of the work, and the hardest working human is on the bicycle... Yet dead last, exhausted, and told he/she sucks because the motivation was not there. It was not because of the way the race was designed... I see now..
  2. If this is not the case, than this seems more like an excuse to why the formula is not working or remove the weakness of the formula used? 
  3. If this is a "Race" does that not mean all are racing? Not "Three teams raced and six of us other teams just showed up to watch".
I could very well be not understanding the intent. It happens.

Yes, with handicapping, it happens a lot. It's best to discuss the role of Captains, separately. They play an important role within the team, but not within the handicap. Only race results count - nothing else.

However, how do any of us who reads that post of yours wonder how those "Other" teams would feel about your opinion of them and your formula once they read your explanation as to why the formula works but looks like it is not, in your words, So why do some teams seem to never do well in the race? Because they're not highly motivated, and they're not well prepared, and their team has not gotten stronger over the last year. ? I would not think it would be received very well.  

Handicapping doesn't care how the system is received. It's an algorithm - or math expression if you will. Emotions aren't involved. It's like if you drop a glass - it will fall at the same speed whether you like it, or not.

And lastly... In one post it is said, "It does not matter about the growth and successes before the race", and then in another post it is said, "Those that are going to have success in the race are those that have grown during the year"... huh?

The growth and success in recruiting or upgrading, etc. before the race (that is, between the last race, and the current upcoming race), don't matter to the handicap. ONLY race performance, matters). In some sports they have rigid pre-race trials that DO affect the handicapping. Not the case for the CC, however. The monthly points of a team not racing, is wildly different than the ppd of the same team, during the race.

And maybe I look for to much in a race. I for one am not a fan of one that you can see who is going to win early on. I would rather see at least half of the teams racing into the last day as a possible winner. THAT is exciting to me. Not sit back and watch one team win it while everyone else still tries to not finish last... That is what creates more production and a lot of fun.

I agree. (That's a type of handicapping though, that can't work in the CC, unless you have some on-going monthly race or trial of some kind, to reflect the relative strengths of the teams, throughout the year.) Also, the actual CC race would require the teams to use that same mix of folders.

That was a problem with the CC two years ago. HWC had low monthly ppd, (which was used to set up the system), and then brought in NCIX and friends, and the handicap system went right out the window, if you recall. HWC told us they were racing with NCIX, but the system didn't handle it well - and HWC had a GREAT race, anyway.

The three teams that have strengthened most during the year are EVGA, VGT, and OCF (no order here), so I know that that these three teams, like three runners that arrive on race day having strengthened themselves with training, are very likely to be the winners and top finishers.

Just common sense, right?

The thing is, they HAVE strengthened their teams, they've done the training, if you will. Shouldn't they be most likely to win or place near the front, in the race?  Isn't this the gripe I read about the most on the EVGA forum? "The rules don't let the strongest team win!"

If you are the most improved team, regardless of size, since the last race, and race well - you should finish near the front of the race, or even win it, with a good handicap system.

What you have described (where the goal is that all the teams arrive near the last day, still in contention), is different. It requires more time, and more data, and it's more complex. I don't even call it handicapping here, because it is completely different in it's goals. Most teammates won't understand it, and will cry "Cheat!" "Bias!" etc., whenever they lose, until the desire to race is wiped out, The image of the CC will have been torn apart and flushed.

My handicap system is simple, and everyone can understand it, if they set aside their initial contempt for all things that aren't stamped with "EVGA" on 'em. You have a foot race, and the person in the best shape AT THAT TIME, is likely to win, if he/she has a good race that day.

That's something every grade school kid can understand, and hopefully, still respect as adults. No, all the racers don't finish in a dramatic lean at the tape, but it's fair - no doubt about it, and there can be dramatic finishes between teams - but it's very unlikely to be more than two or three teams in a group.
post edited by Adak1 - 2013/04/15 23:27:35
jinihammerer
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1151
  • Ribbons : 8
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/16 00:08:27 (permalink)
Yaknow.. Adak First. 

This is my first time running the CC and before i started running it i could tell you sir are a spoiled sport and will clearly do anything to win even is its dishonest.
    I really didn't want to run it at all but the team is and in team team spirit i joined. 

Things I have seen that scream you are the most important thing to you, you sir are self serving...

A) You made the handicap system - good bad or ugly and that's fine. But you also hand picked your teams lowest performance months to to base your handicap giving your self a distinct advantage out the gate. When that clearly was not enough you recruited... not new people.. you "borrowed" people from other teams. and i'll be honest... that's cheating in my book. Its like bowling with a bowling team with a 180 average bringing in a 280 average power bowler for the final event. Its a shame, a lie and it is entirely dishonest.  

The race is NOT close due to your mad mathematical skills in calculating the handicap. its close because you added other teams points to your stats. THAT is what makes it clear the handicap was busted from jump street.

What again is the point of any handicap system.

B) Anyone remotely questions this system or your methods is immediatly attacked in an vein attempt to shame them. You get extremely defensive and very abrasive indicating the accusations of misconduct or fraudulent starting statistics is likely true.

The entire reason for this bogus event that you are pawning off as a race is to raise awareness and increase visibility. To get new people folding.  

You have perverted it into something far more self serving for you and your team. You twist this event from its intended purposes by pulling every favor from other teams,  twisting numbers in your favor, you are the issue here. You are the negitive force that makes the contest bogus. You perverted a contest into a person goal to be the best by doing every underhanded stunt you can think of and not even being nice about it by attacking anyone who has a problem with it. 

I am not folding for CC.. i am folding for my Godmother that just passed away. I am folding for my brother who I watched wither away and die.. I am folding for everyone that's ever suffered .

So do what ever you want ... win your bogus race... pound on your chest with your pride about being dishonest. you should be happy you have made these kinds of impressions of people you have never met. it really should tell you something about your self. 

After the events of yesterday in Boston.. Racing is the last thing I care about ... I think it should be called off honestly.... I think we should all be folding together... for peace and for life and to help make the world a better place.

Anyway I am done speaking about the contest its over for me. 

Have a blessed day.

post edited by jinihammerer - 2013/04/16 01:09:36

My Affiliate Code: EB1-UCY-VA9N   

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/16 05:30:00 (permalink)
Adak1  

Well. I tried to help. Back to you Troy... Let's see what those numbers look like.

drougnor
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2715
  • Ribbons : 18
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/16 06:10:59 (permalink)
I can provide the CC results from 2010 onward - Any earlier, hopefully someone else will be able to provide.

planetclown
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1694
  • Ribbons : 15
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/16 07:49:54 (permalink)
The links to graphs for CC 2006 thru 2008 are in post #33 in this thread.  The graph for 2009 can be found here

Not sure if raw data is around, but may be able to eyeball it with the graphs.

EVGA Associates code: OLY2307BPM0MXZU Click for a discount on your next purchase from EVGA.com

Macaholic
iCX Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/16 08:45:33 (permalink)
Afterburner

Adak1  

Well. I tried to help. Back to you Troy... Let's see what those numbers look like.

It is hard to come up with a "fair" contest between nine teams in two weeks. More analysis needs to be made, as stated, once completed. Quick and dirty analysis says VGT will come out on top due to the large effect of a single individual. Large duck in a small puddle, if you will, since this is their first involvement. OCF is reaping the benefits of a strong benching and SETI team to keep it close, and EVGA is being pushed by the "buck effect" right now. The whole "recruiting" notion is a noble idea, but it is tainted by easy team switching and the "let's beat Goliath" attitude that is very palpable. As long as more folding gets done, that is really the most important "jade monkey" badge. If it ceases to be fun and just a gripe fest, then the contest is pointless.

Mac Pro Dual Quad Core X5570 - 2 x Mac Pro Dual Quad Core X5365 - 2 x Asus Z8NA-D6C, Dual Hex Core E5645 - Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 12-Core Opteron 6174 - Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 16-Core Opteron 6272 - Tyan S8812, Quad 12-Core Opteron 6166HE - Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 12-Core Opteron 6164HE - 5 x EVGA Classified GeForce GTX 590

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/16 08:51:48 (permalink)
Macaholic

It is hard to come up with a "fair" contest between nine teams in two weeks. More analysis needs to be made, as stated, once completed. Quick and dirty analysis says VGT will come out on top due to the large effect of a single individual. Large duck in a small puddle, if you will, since this is their first involvement. OCF is reaping the benefits of a strong benching and SETI team to keep it close, and EVGA is being pushed by the "buck effect" right now. The whole "recruiting" notion is a noble idea, but it is tainted by easy team switching and the "let's beat Goliath" attitude that is very palpable. As long as more folding gets done, that is really the most important "jade monkey" badge. If it ceases to be fun and just a gripe fest, then the contest is pointless. 

Totally agree with you. 

yodap
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4647
  • Ribbons : 8
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/16 09:09:20 (permalink)
Wow, I come back from LA from attending to an ailing family member, to CC bickering? Again?
Adak1, thanks for all you do. I believe you are doing all you can do in a lose/lose situation.
Are we @EVGA pissed because we're not winning the CC? It could be my fault. I won't produce 1/10 the points in April that I produced in March and might produce 1/10 the number I produced in Feb. Life changes, poop happens. We need to do what we can do and stop the crying.
Thanks to all the organizers, captains and stats freaks.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/16 09:12:32 (permalink)
*Caution* Lot's of "I's" ahead .

I thought this was without saying, but it looks like I should...

I am a cup half full fella. 

I am normally a positive thinker and want what we cannot have. "Fairness" for all. 

However, the work that has been done by the many with any events we choose to participate in should not be overlooked because of a post here or there.

I for one think that this years (2013) CC is moving in the right direction and has fun in it... I mean three teams are fighting for first! 

However, because this is a "Race" it should be worked on with much more effort than we have seen the last few years. Two weeks to get it all done is what is causing the issues. Not the "We have to do something" answers. 

My point in all this is simple. For this to be the one time a year event, more effort by all teams is in order for it to be fun for all.

How can we call it a race with only a third are actually racing?

The focus ha been directed to the "Race" not growing or spreading the word about what we all do. I think that is where we need to work on it a bit as well...

Regardless. I value and appreciate all the feedback we see, even if it hurts a little...

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/16 09:20:58 (permalink)
yodap

Wow, I come back from LA from attending to an ailing family member, to CC bickering? Again?
Adak1, thanks for all you do. I believe you are doing all you can do in a lose/lose situation.
Are we @EVGA pissed because we're not winning the CC? It could be my fault. I won't produce 1/10 the points in April that I produced in March and might produce 1/10 the number I produced in Feb. Life changes, poop happens. We need to do what we can do and stop the crying.
Thanks to all the organizers, captains and stats freaks.

Sorry to hear of your family member.

Just a small offering of info... I am not aware of anyone suggesting we are not winning or do not have a chance. I must have missed this, sorry about that. However this thread was started by request, for next years and how we can improve it. The current CC thread is here...   http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1900525

Macaholic
iCX Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/17 05:21:00 (permalink)
An improvement should be indeed getting more people to fold and not simply using the contest as a guise to have several teams just join up under one "supersize" team. That gets no more folding done, it just stacks the deck against any fair competition of the intended point of the contest which is getting more people to fold. What is the point of having a handicap if you just stack the deck. Those smaller teams should be invited to participate on their own if you already have the handicap system in place.

JaskarnSidhu
SSC Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/17 07:23:09 (permalink)
I have an idea that may help with all of this.

A handicap is supposed to help those weaker teams.

My suggestion is on day 1 of the CC, for the first 24 hours there is no handicap, all teams enter and earn the same and are on a level playing field. Essentially they are starting at the same start line. Then the handicap should come into effect 24 hours later, based on the first 24 hours of folding. Each day the handicap could change based on the last 24 hours of folding. So those teams that come in with a fewer members have the same shot as the big wigs with the hundreds of members.

Just a thought.

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/17 07:29:40 (permalink)
So, we schedule the ringers for day 2?

JaskarnSidhu
SSC Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/17 07:37:40 (permalink)
Well it would be every 24 hours the handicaps for each team is recalculated, not just after the first day. It wouldn't matter when these ringers entered as the following days handicap would affect them.

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/17 11:01:23 (permalink)
simple math to average out each additional day

avg handicap =sum (start handicap point handicap+ each additional day points) /(1+no days)

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion/Idea Thread... 2013/04/17 11:39:37 (permalink)
This is going to upset a few folks that have helped in the designing  of the "Formulas"... It is totally not meant at all as that, it is meant as more of a "Look, here is the reality as one member sees it, that does not make it true or false". The efforts of those that have tried is nothing short of commendable for the time invested and ideological attempts. They are what is affording us to be that much closer to an answer... So thank you...

It just needs to be said...

We all know there is no way to balance this out to perfection. That is not being disputed by me. What is being said by me is that all the formulas used so far, fall short. Year after year, one team is the clear ringer by day one thru day four.

Please please please... Remember I am speaking to the Formula... NOT The Event, Oops I mean Race... This years Race is a huge improvement without a doubt.

What do they fall short at?
  1. Making the contest fun for everyone
  2. Making it competitive for the Majority, not the minority
  3. Growing like it once did
  4. Getting all teams actively involved in the entire process at least two months before the event
  5. Being adequately organized
  6. Being Consistent in race rules and formulas

What creates fun, enthusiasm and greater participation? It comes in many forms. Here are a few...
  1. Simply participating with no care in how a team ends up from last to first
  2. Competitiveness for the majority
  3. Growing awareness and seeing new folks get involved
  4. Being on a team racing for the win
  5. Being on a team competing for 2nd thru 5th
  6. The majority of teams getting into the last day of the battle with a chance to place in the top three or WIN

Some basic "Out-loud" thoughts...
  1. Testing theories for a period of time to see how they will actually perform in a contest.
  2. Ringers are fine, getting help from other teams is fine. However how exactly does that help "Grow" the event?
  3. Formulas are created with deliberate acts of leaving out the "Ringers" numbers and help from other teams that teams already have on call or will start with advance knowledge. Should this "Year after year" help be included in the Formulas?
  4. Current program "Told to us" that basically this years winner cannot win next year without doubling their own growth again. AKA, this years top three will not win next year. So what is to stop them from stacking the deck to other teams next year sense they know a year in advance they will not win next year? This will also just tell other teams to lay back this year, because next year you can win! How is that a fun race?
  5. If 6 of 9 teams actually had a chance to win say through day eight of a ten day event, what do you think the attitude and enthusiasm would be like? Contest after Contest from all forms of life "Like" to win! They "Like" to participate. They "Will" do more if they have a chance to help their team WIN... 
  6. The event is being billed as a RACE. How many races do you ever see beyond "Children" types of races that have 9+ participants, yet at the get go the design of the race makes it so only two or three at best will have a chance to win after day ONE? That is not a race.
So figure it out. Is this a "Race" or an "Event"? Make a formula for one of those. From where I sit, it is an Event being called/sold as a Race...

troy8d
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2817
  • Ribbons : 10
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion... 2013/04/17 13:16:50 (permalink)
Macaholic

An improvement should be indeed getting more people to fold and not simply using the contest as a guise to have several teams just join up under one "supersize" team. That gets no more folding done, it just stacks the deck against any fair competition of the intended point of the contest which is getting more people to fold. What is the point of having a handicap if you just stack the deck. Those smaller teams should be invited to participate on their own if you already have the handicap system in place.

This is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking.  Borrowing folders from other teams isn't recruiting...its simply changing the flag under which a folder flies and not getting any more work done.  I do believe there are those that have lost sight of what is actually important here.

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
BadBertie
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 852
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:Chimp Challenge 2014 Open Discussion... 2013/04/17 13:39:55 (permalink)
troy8d

Macaholic

This is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking.  Borrowing folders from other teams isn't recruiting...its simply changing the flag under which a folder flies and not getting any more work done.  I do believe there are those that have lost sight of what is actually important here.

Maybe that is what the Jaded Monkey should actually be awarded for - the individuals or team that does the most to promote F@H participation, rather than the introcentric (but fun) CC. I only learnt of the CC after I started folding so I don't see it as a means of promoting folding. Ironically, more the other way round.
Don't get me wrong. I love to fold and I'm completely into this years CC but instead of putting a lot of time into the finer points of handicapping, although important for the race, we decide how the categories for attracting new folders be set up and awarded?

Tough to verify I know but worth a thought.

Fold on Wayne.
Fold on Garth.

KTM Super Duke R EVO
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile