AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Launched: Starting at $999

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
panzlock
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Launched: Starting at $999 2017/07/02 08:18:49 (permalink)

“Disillusioned and confused” could describe much of the response to initial AMD Vega: Frontier Edition testing and reviews. The card’s market positioning is somewhat confusing, possessing neither the professional-level driver certification nor the gaming-level price positioning. This makes Vega: FE ($1000) a very specifically placed card and, like the Titan Xp, doesn’t exactly look like the best price:performance argument for a large portion of the market. But that’s OK – it doesn’t have to be, and it’s not trying to be. The thing is, though, that AMD’s Vega architecture has been so long hyped, so long overdue, that users in our segment are looking for any sign of competition with nVidia’s high-end. It just so happens that, largely thanks to AMD’s decision to go with “Vega” as the name of its first Vega arch card, the same users saw Vega: FE as an inbound do-all flagship.
But it wasn’t really meant to compete under those expectations, it turns out.
Today, we’re focusing our review efforts most heavily on power, thermals, and noise, with the heaviest focus on power and thermals. Some of this includes power draw vs. time charts, like when Blender is engaged in long render cycles, and other tests include noise-normalized temperature testing. We’ve also got gaming benchmarks, synthetics (FireStrike, TimeSpy), and production benchmarks (Maya, 3DS Max, Blender, Creo, Catia), but those all receive less focus than our primary thermal/power analysis. This focus is because the thermal and power behavior can be extrapolated most linearly to Vega’s future supplements, and we figure it’s a way to offer a unique set of data for a review.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2973-amd-vega-frontier-edition-reviewed-too-soon-to-call?showall=1

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Launched: Starting at $999 2017/07/02 09:09:59 (permalink)
for one thing it doesn't even beat any Nvidia Professional Video card other than p4000
and that's like comparing a 1060(cut down chip) to a 1080(full chip)

It's suppose to have more TF than tesla p100 so where is the juice?
you market this as a professional card you are suppose to have more power by approx 10% -13.1TF(single) to 12TF for quadro or 10TF for the tesla

it can't beat any quadro(or tesla yet) other than the p4000 and you are only swapping blows and p4000 is cheaper and has 1/2 the cuda cores..1792 cores(so 6TF)

False advertising- advertised as 13.1 TF and you can't beat a 10TF card???

anyways vega RX is smaller chip
price estimate on chip is $40(at 90% yields) +$80(per 4GB HBM2)+interposer costs -so 8GB rx vega will be over $200 cost - that doesn't include VRM's or other GPU hardware/parts 

so like i said not cheap 
post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2017/07/02 10:02:27

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

seth89
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5290
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Launched: Starting at $999 2017/07/02 11:26:30 (permalink)
Carbonshape
Scarlet-Tech
Carbonshape
rjohnson11
I want to see professional benchmarks before I make an opinion.

What would you call a professional benchmark?

People that use it specifically for production. Those that use this in a professional manner

Stuff like this was allready done. Not just with 3DMark. "Professional Testing: SPECviewperf, LuxMark, Cinebench": https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Radeon-Vega-Frontier-Edition-16GB-Air-Cooled-Review/Professional-Testing-SPEC

I expected more too. But let's say it that way: Not just Jensen know how to wake expectations.

Edit: And to be honest, I wish AMD had a better start with Vega, but they did not.

From that link it looks to hold its own.
This is a working card not a gaming card.
I think they should drop the price to 850-900 to make it more compelling.

The P5000 is 2k and the P4000 is 800 bucks and this new card is right in the middle, so a price adjustment wouldn't be unreasonable.

Why is the entire forum focusing on the gaming benchmarks?
Save the hate for the gaming version and let's compare it to it's competition.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Launched: Starting at $999 2017/07/02 11:58:37 (permalink)
seth89
From that link it looks to hold its own.
This is a working card not a gaming card.
I think they should drop the price to 850-900 to make it more compelling.

The P5000 is 2k and the P4000 is 800 bucks and this new card is right in the middle, so a price adjustment wouldn't be unreasonable.

Why is the entire forum focusing on the gaming benchmarks?
Save the hate for the gaming version and let's compare it to it's competition.

One reason, plain and simple, AMD made massive promises to completely outdo the Titan Xp, and we can see it delivers in some areas, like specific production based applications. Only a few test outperform the Titan Xp.

The one reason I mention.. the Titan Xp is not a gaming card, which is why nvidia exclusively sells it, and it performs better in a large portion of the industry as well as games. Everyone was expecting AMD to do exactly what they said, and challenge NVidia on all fronts. AMD can't scream, but it isn't a gaming card, when the competitor, that isn't marketed as gaming, is doing exactly what AMD is saying their card isn't intended for
Miguell
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Launched: Starting at $999 2017/07/02 13:15:43 (permalink)
well it seems as usual... no real competition...

i just want a nice affordable gtx 1070...  lool

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830
Display: 32" AOC Q3279VWFD8 @2560x1440@75Hz
Cpu: Intel Core i7-8700
Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML120L - RGB
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
Vga: Asus Dual RTX 4060 Ti 16GB Advanced Edition
Ram: 32GB DDR4  G.SKILL - RIPJAWS V @3200Mhz
Sound: Hama uRage soundZbar 2.1 Unleashed  - (Optical)
Storage: 500GB SSD M.2 A2000  NVMe  Kingston (OS) + 8TB (4+4) HDD X300 Toshiba (Data)
Psu: SeaSonic M12 700W
panzlock
FTW Member
Re: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Launched: Starting at $999 2017/07/02 16:23:21 (permalink)
Didn't early performance of Ryzen also receive much negative attention? Remember how that turned out.

Truth be told I don't have much faith in Vega anymore but AMD can still deliver a very competitive product so I'm ignoring the benchmarks of Vega Frontier much like I ignored initial Ryzen reviews and patiently waited until optimizations worked out some of the teething issues typically associated with the release of a new architecture. The 1700 offers great value by comparison to Skylake, Kaby Lake and Kaby Lake-X (<--- the purpose of which on the X299 is still mindbogglingly unknown).

My concern with Vega Frontier isn't really performance...It's the power draw. I'm still clinging to hope that AMD can deliver a balanced performer in Vega RX. They did it with Ryzen so is it impossible they produce another outlandish feat?

I've also noticed a trend. A lot of the people providing negative feedback on Vega are the same ones praising Intel on their recent Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X release. This is a good film, btw: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489049/

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Launched: Starting at $999 2017/07/02 16:47:21 (permalink)
by no way means have I been praising intel - in fact im one to say they are the ones that dropped the ball and sat on there arse because their was no competition
i am not so impressed with any offering of Intel at all - in fact have said they are even falling behind TSMC

Intel had it within their power to push technology and bring out cutting edge tech sooner - new materials they have been sitting on for years for one

im am glad that AMD brought themselves back to the game  and have pushed Intel

but CPU are not going to be the big deal as much as power efficiency in CPU's - cpu performance will top out soon
both AMD and Intel have to look at Performance per watt - ARM will win here and are slowing taking over server market because of efficiency

the big push is HPC which is discrete GPU/compute cards(knights landing for one) and where the real gains will be

and Rory is the Reason AMD dropped the ball - in 2015 Rory reduce the GPU R&D engineering division saying there was no need for Discrete compute cards -and it should be APU only
thats what has hurt AMD the most ....GPU WAS the only profitable center at AMD and you cut it

Lisa  and Raj have been trying to salvage and put it back on track

the cuts hurt... you lose staff experience and tech - then later have to bring in new crew - get them to understand the tech you have- get acquainted with their ideas and offerings
so turning it around is not overnight
post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2017/07/02 19:46:58

panzlock
FTW Member
Re: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Launched: Starting at $999 2017/07/02 17:29:39 (permalink)
Xavier Zepherious
by no way means have I been praising intel - in fact im one to say they are the ones that dropped the ball and sat on there arse because their was no competition
i am not so impressed with any offering of Intel at all - in fact have said they are even falling behind TSMC

In that case you don't fall into that category.

And I have to agree with you. AMD is in a tough place, forced to develop competing products against two market giants one of which was caught napping a little hence the unrest regarding X299. But Nvidia seems to be a tougher adversary. Vega RX needs to beat Pascal. Not necessarily the Titan Xp or 1080 Ti but the bulk of anything below these two top tier offerings. That's where the market share is up for grabs.

Some hope: http://wccftech.com/amds-...july-launch-confirmed/

AMD’s Raja Koduri Confirms Vega 10 Die Size At 484mm² – RX Vega To Be Faster In Gaming Than Frontier Edition

AMD has finally confirmed the die size of its new flagship graphics chip powering its Vega based graphics products. The first of the new Vega lineup, the Radeon Pro Vega Frontier Edition and Radeon instinct MI25 launched late last month. The rest of the Vega family, namely the gaming oriented RX Vega graphics products and professional Radeon Pro Vega parts are set to release later this month at SIGGRAPH.

That power draw needs to come down, though.
post edited by panzlock - 2017/07/02 17:35:47
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Launched: Starting at $999 2018/08/07 09:19:14 (permalink)
necro'd thread

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Launched: Starting at $999 2018/08/07 10:35:11 (permalink)
Xavier Zepherious
necro'd thread

I am pretty sure the person that pulled this up was trying to post a spam app??? Maybe? I wont click it, but I will report it to the mods and evga so they can figure out if it should stay or vanish.

Google search shows people finding a way to load the app in question by using a jailbreak or a workaround to a jailbreak..
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2018/08/07 10:40:45
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile