Helpful Reply2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 12
Author
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/04 22:54:12 (permalink)
Flonkam
GTXJackBauer
Have a Happy New Year Flon.

A happy New Year as well! And a very merry unbirthday, to you.

Unless it happens to actually be your birthday, then happy belated unbirthday. Or early unbirthday. Ah, both, what the heck.

Don't know where I said it was my Birthday...

You're going senile Flon! lol

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Jflax
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/05 08:11:05 (permalink)
Hi, new to the forums and have read this whole thread which has been very interesting.

Just got the 2080 ti black edition which was on sale in my country and am thinking about whether to return it. Sitting in the box at the moment.

With the cable fixes mentioned and raising the fan speeds with software, would you say that the noise issues are under control? Or would you just have returned the card if you were in my situation? I could afford a more expensive card but it's tough on the wallet..
post edited by Jflax - 2019/01/05 08:13:13
KaptCrunch
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/05 08:58:30 (permalink)
I think what tox1c90 is describing that noise before fan spins is a coherent side effect of PWM at low speeds. 

that is faint noise compared with fan blades striking slack wires, more of a hum tone that will go away when  fan ramps off slow speed    

I wonder if any one has done a volt mod to card and this became an issue for more voltage to PMW controller will enhance that noise  

if so you need to add a zener diode to PWM supply 
post edited by KaptCrunch - 2019/01/05 09:32:10
Flonkam
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 265
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/05 12:35:34 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Flonkam
A happy New Year as well! And a very merry unbirthday, to you.

Unless it happens to actually be your birthday, then happy belated unbirthday. Or early unbirthday. Ah, both, what the heck.

Don't know where I said it was my Birthday...

You're going senile Flon! lol

Au contraire! Someone needs to re-read Through the Looking Glass...or re-watch Alice in Wonderland (1951)!

KaptCrunch
I think what tox1c90 is describing that noise before fan spins is a coherent side effect of PWM at low speeds. 

that is faint noise compared with fan blades striking slack wires, more of a hum tone that will go away when  fan ramps off slow speed

KaptCrunch is right. The "clicking" noise that the title of this thread refers to is caused by the wire obstruction. It's definitely a sound that would be annoying and hard to miss.

The other issue produces a noise that is much more subtle and not near as loud. In a video that actually captures this noise, you can tell how subtle it is, even when the microphone of a recording device is inches away from the card (On the other hand, the video on page 3 of this thread showcases the obstruction-based "clicking" sound. You can see in the video that the sound occurs after the blades start spinning).

I'm not saying that the motor-based noise is not worth complaining about--I'm not saying that at all--what I'm saying is that one would have to have a pretty quiet system in a pretty quiet environment for it to be a problem. And then again--not all cards and not all fans produce the noise, at least not initially. Obviously no one has had a card for more than a couple of months at most.

On a separate note: I think I have experienced my first case of coil whine in 10 years of PC gaming with my new 2080 Ti BE, although I would characterize it as more of a coil "screech" than "whine". So far I have only noticed it while running Geeks3D TessMark 0.3.0, and it seems to happen only when exceeding 1,000 fps. If these framerates are the only situation in which the coil whine occurs I have nothing to complain about, as I would never encounter these rates during normal use.

Have other people experienced coil whine at much lower framerates? Can it be caused by something other than extremely high framerates?
post edited by Flonkam - 2019/01/05 12:43:50
msyltek
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/05 13:17:12 (permalink)
I mean I got a NZXT H700 and it's full of vent holes all over the place so I can hear the weird clicking sound even with open back headphones and I hear it 3 times because I have a FTW3 the fans rarely simultaneously turn on or off at the exact same time, sure I won't be able to hear it with loud game sounds coming from the headphones but anytime the fans switch on/off/on/off is regularly when there is no sound because the game is on a menu or a turn, or something that is not graphically intensive like an old game, so it's very very noticeable.
The sound is just too unique to not notice it, like people have mentioned it sounds like a busted HDD clicking but a lot louder, loud systems usually don't bother me, I like my fans to sound like a tupolev tu-95, but I can still hear it and it just sounds wrong, like something is broken.

Also, when I turn my pc on my 2080 will whine when completely idle, but then it seems to quiet down once it heats up, doesn't really whine under load.
I also have to add the whine changes tone drastically, sometimes its mild, sometimes it's like a ear piercing screech, etc.
post edited by msyltek - 2019/01/05 16:46:07
remidian
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/05 13:44:37 (permalink)
*delete* thanks.
post edited by remidian - 2019/01/05 14:45:26

3080 FTW3 Ultra, Hero XIII, 11900k, Samsung 980 PRO 1TB, Acer XB270HU 1440p/144hz, Evga Supernova 1000w platinum. 
Heatware
noon22c
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/09 17:14:38 (permalink)
RobyF1
Problem solved thanks to this suggestion. Now the temperature is 47 ° and the fans remain still. Thanks a lot.

noon22c
Hello, reporting some of my new findings. My GPU is 2070 XC Ultra.
I think I got rid of the clicking issue. I changed the "Power management mode" to "Optimal power" (had "Pref. max. perf." from the previous card) in the Nvidia control panel and disabled Windows fast startup.
Now when idle the GPU clock stays around 300-400mhz and the temp is around 38-40C, fans are off. This is when Precision X1 is not started/used.
Tested in Fallout4 for about 5 min., GPU clock was ~1900mhz, temp was around 60C, GPU usage 80-98%. After exiting the game, the clock is back to 300-400mhz, temp 45C (slowly going down), fans are off.
No clicking anymore. Looks like the important setting is to have the "Power management mode" set to "Optimal power" as before the card was set at 1410, running at 55C and fans were clicking when idle. Now the card properly downclocks itself thus not having the fans constantly trying to start and stop.
I think the card expects to be at the lower clock when idle. If it is at the default/high clock (1410 with my card) it gets confused and we see the fans turn on/off every five seconds producing annoying sounds.
Hopefully this is how it is going to be. I'll be observing how the card behaves for the next few days without Precision X1 loaded. If the "Optimal power" setting is the only thing I have to change in order to get rid of clicking, this is totally fine with me and I'll be keeping the card.
I'm planning to use Precision X1 in the future and have the fans custom curves enabled but still wanted to make sure that the card can function properly with just Nvidia driver and nothing else.
Will report here if case something changes and/or the clicking comes back.

I'm glad it worked for you. Has it been stable since you made a change? I've been using Precision X1 with fans custom curves enabled.
remidian
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/17 10:30:55 (permalink)
Latest NVIDIA patch 417.71 has lowered my idle temps by 3-5 degrees and the fans no longer startup every couple seconds.  Nothing else has been changed on my rig. Awesome patch :)

*This is after a couple hours of gaming

3080 FTW3 Ultra, Hero XIII, 11900k, Samsung 980 PRO 1TB, Acer XB270HU 1440p/144hz, Evga Supernova 1000w platinum. 
Heatware
johnevo90
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/26 12:31:21 (permalink)
Just purchased this card for my son and had the exact same issue, noticed it did not happen when the card was mounted in a vertical gpu mount, figured out there is a cable just above fan 2 that has some slack in it and it was hitting the fan blades, put a dab of hot glue on the cable to hold it in place and now the clicking noise has stopped. Not somthing that the customer should have to do on such an expensive piece of kit.
Thecobra1013
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/27 22:26:15 (permalink)
I know I’m late but I just built my first pc with the 2080 xc ultra graphics card and had the same problems. I took the card out and spun the fan with my finger and noticed the fan was hitting a wire inside the gpu. I took a skinny wooden kebab stick since that’s the only thing I could find that wasn’t conductive in my kitchen and pressed the wire away from the fan. No more clicking at all. Hope this helps someone out.
emmanuelmota
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/02/22 09:02:21 (permalink)
Having the same clicking noise on day old 2080 ti XC Ultra. This is unacceptable. It sounds broken. 
Flonkam
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/02/22 11:09:43 (permalink)
emmanuelmota
Having the same clicking noise on day old 2080 ti XC Ultra. This is unacceptable. It sounds broken. 

If it sounds that bad, it's almost certainly a wire obstruction on one or both of the fans. I didn't have the problem with my 2080 Ti, but many people have.

Fortunately, it's a simple problem with a simple solution. Earlier in this thread are instructions for fixing it.

It shouldn't happen in the first place of course, but it's not on the level of finding out your 4GB card is really 3.5GB--just as an example. Personally, I wouldn't suggest returning it, as there is no reason to believe you won't get a card with the same problem, and I wouldn't suggest leaving EVGA over it, as I still believe it to be the best GPU manufacturer with the best service.
emmanuelmota
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/02/24 13:04:53 (permalink)
Flonkam
emmanuelmota

If it sounds that bad, it's almost certainly a wire obstruction on one or both of the fans. I didn't have the problem with my 2080 Ti, but many people have.

Fortunately, it's a simple problem with a simple solution. Earlier in this thread are instructions for fixing it.

It shouldn't happen in the first place of course, but it's not on the level of finding out your 4GB card is really 3.5GB--just as an example. Personally, I wouldn't suggest returning it, as there is no reason to believe you won't get a card with the same problem, and I wouldn't suggest leaving EVGA over it, as I still believe it to be the best GPU manufacturer with the best service.

It's not a wire obstructing the blades. It's the noise made when fan starts up. As far as returning it, I will be doing so. It's of no cost to me and I'm sure EVGA does not want me to be unhappy with a card that makes a grinding noise like a platter HDD seeking. As far as "Leaving EVGA" I dunno where you got that from bud. but I'm glad you love EVGA. As far as it being unacceptable that's just my case. I run an Thermaltake Core P3 in a production environment with reference speakers not headphones. So I will not have a GPU making these noises.

After using precision X1 I'm not really seeing the benefit of this massive and higher priced card. 
Probably going to just get the 2080 ti black and water cool it. 

Cheers
Flonkam
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/02/24 16:55:47 (permalink)
emmanuelmota
It's not a wire obstructing the blades. It's the noise made when fan starts up. As far as returning it, I will be doing so. It's of no cost to me and I'm sure EVGA does not want me to be unhappy with a card that makes a grinding noise like a platter HDD seeking. As far as "Leaving EVGA" I dunno where you got that from bud. but I'm glad you love EVGA. As far as it being unacceptable that's just my case. I run an Thermaltake Core P3 in a production environment with reference speakers not headphones. So I will not have a GPU making these noises.

After using precision X1 I'm not really seeing the benefit of this massive and higher priced card. 
Probably going to just get the 2080 ti black and water cool it. 

Cheers

The wire obstruction only makes a noise very briefly when starting, just like the other issue. After the air pressure pushes the wire away, the noise stops. The reason I suggested that your problem is the obstruction is that it is a definite "clicking" sound like you described, whereas the other (possibly bearing-related) issue is a more subtle, quieter, "growly" sort of noise.

You mentioned that your issue was unacceptable, so I was just giving my opinion that overall the best option is probably still EVGA, since there have been several people who have mentioned trying other manufacturers because of these problems. I don't love EVGA--I didn't even get them anything for Valentine's Day--I just believe that it is still the best option for quality and service as far as GPUs go, despite how ridiculous prices are overall.

At any rate, your solution of going with a 2080 Ti Black and water cooling sounds good. I was thinking of liquid cooling for mine, but I don't want to bother unless the card is not maintaining peak performance due to throttling, even when the temperature is under the thermal limit--something I have not been able to get a clear answer on.
evgabaan
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/02/24 19:41:15 (permalink)
Hi, i'm new here.
I have the same problem, it's annoying.......
But, i see it's so common for someone, i can let me down.
Fan will drop down by 0 RPM, so i just add 10% fan speed at least, and it's smoothing..
Maybe it'll be harmful for the gpu fans, but it's all right 
Flonkam
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/02/25 07:12:23 (permalink)
evgabaan
Hi, i'm new here.
I have the same problem, it's annoying.......
But, i see it's so common for someone, i can let me down.
Fan will drop down by 0 RPM, so i just add 10% fan speed at least, and it's smoothing..
Maybe it'll be harmful for the gpu fans, but it's all right 

Hello.

Make sure you know which same problem it is, lol. There are actually two separate problems, which I admit this thread doesn't initially do a good job of explaining.

Many people have discovered that their noise is a wire obstruction, which is something that you can actually fix. On the other hand, the motor- or  bearing-based problem is one that must be compensated for, as you describe.

I think it's worth taking the time to determine which one it is, though. More than one person was certain that it wasn't an obstruction until he found out that it was.
KirbyC
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/03/19 20:22:29 (permalink)
I wanted to share some info about the clicking noise everyone is experiencing...

I also have the click!  Determined to figure out what it was I removed my rtx 2080 ultra from my PC.   I set the card with fan side up and began using compressed air to spin the fan, sure enough it was clicking even out of the pc.  I then gently used my finger to spin the fan (only one was clicking, the one closest to the power cables..) and discovered that the clicking is caused by the fan making physical contact with either the cooling fins or the fan shroud or wire.  It was difficult to pinpoint but when I moved the fan I was able to feel the click to one side or the other on the fan blades.  The clicking was made worse after I had pressed on the fan while investigating the clicking with it out of the computer.  After reading thru some of the posts about this clicking, I will try super-glueing down the wire under the fan and see if this stops the noise.

**update 03/21/2019 -  The clicking noise was due to the rear fan contacting the wire that is along side of it under the shroud.  As per another post about this,  I carefully super-glued the wire down and there is no longer any clicking noise.

post edited by KirbyC - 2019/03/21 19:44:44
juan1103
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/03 12:56:33 (permalink)
Rtx ftw3 2080 here. U can help me plse????? Clicking at starting the pc.
juan1103
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/03 13:01:54 (permalink)
I need that video. Thanks.
juan1103
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/05 00:32:50 (permalink)
My ftw3 2080 clicks at all the fans. U can help me plse?
Flonkam
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/05 12:22:07 (permalink)
juan1103
My ftw3 2080 clicks at all the fans. U can help me plse?

My suggestion would be to remove the card and determine whether your problem is caused by obstructions. If so, it is something that you can fix yourself, and once fixed, should remain fixed for the rest of the card's life.

Check out posts #101, #197, #206, and #228 for information and pictures that should help you assess the situation.

If the fans are not hitting anything, your choices may be limited to setting the fans to remain above a certain speed, returning the card, or just trying to get used to the intermittent noise.
Jackolantern28
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/06 22:24:35 (permalink)
Unfortunately I also have this problem with my 2060 XC Ultra. Its damn annoying and also disappointing I need to set a fan curve to half fix it (not a proper fix). EVGA Support said they are aware of the issue but there are no fixes currently, and no planned BIOS updates to fix it. Do I just return the card? I have 5 days left to do so. Only thing is my monitor is DVI, so the only other RTX 2060 with that is the ASUS Dual OC.
Flonkam
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/07 11:43:12 (permalink)
Jackolantern28
Unfortunately I also have this problem with my 2060 XC Ultra. Its damn annoying and also disappointing I need to set a fan curve to half fix it (not a proper fix). EVGA Support said they are aware of the issue but there are no fixes currently, and no planned BIOS updates to fix it. Do I just return the card? I have 5 days left to do so. Only thing is my monitor is DVI, so the only other RTX 2060 with that is the ASUS Dual OC.

Depending on the resolution you need, you may be able to use an HDMI to DVI-D adapter with a non-DVI card. This one is currently on sale for $2.99 until 4-10-19:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882422012&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL040419&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL040419-_-EMC-040419-Index-_-HDMICables-_-82422012-S2A9A&ignorebbr=1
lukeman3000
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/08 22:52:33 (permalink)
KirbyC
I wanted to share some info about the clicking noise everyone is experiencing...

I also have the click!  Determined to figure out what it was I removed my rtx 2080 ultra from my PC.   I set the card with fan side up and began using compressed air to spin the fan, sure enough it was clicking even out of the pc.  I then gently used my finger to spin the fan (only one was clicking, the one closest to the power cables..) and discovered that the clicking is caused by the fan making physical contact with either the cooling fins or the fan shroud or wire.  It was difficult to pinpoint but when I moved the fan I was able to feel the click to one side or the other on the fan blades.  The clicking was made worse after I had pressed on the fan while investigating the clicking with it out of the computer.  After reading thru some of the posts about this clicking, I will try super-glueing down the wire under the fan and see if this stops the noise.

**update 03/21/2019 -  The clicking noise was due to the rear fan contacting the wire that is along side of it under the shroud.  As per another post about this,  I carefully super-glued the wire down and there is no longer any clicking noise.

Does doing something like this violate the warranty of the card?

Also, these issues started cropping up last year - why has this design flaw not yet been addressed?
Jackolantern28
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/09 04:44:05 (permalink)
Flonkam
Jackolantern28

Depending on the resolution you need, you may be able to use an HDMI to DVI-D adapter with a non-DVI card. This one is currently on sale for $2.99 until 4-10-19:

My monitor is 1080P 75Hz (overclocked from 60Hz)
Will single link DVI / HDMI be ok at that refresh rate. If so im returning this thing asap. EVGA have always been so helpful in the past, but their current attitude towards customers with this issue is dismissive. Very dissapointing.
revanjedi
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/09 06:03:09 (permalink)
Ramping up to buy a 2080 ti FTW3 and this is certainly discouraging. 

So by the comments there are 2 problems here, fans hitting the wires and/or the 0db feature's fan curve.  
I'm coming from a watercooled 1080 ti SC2 and looking to buy a 2080 ti FTW3. It's low on game-noise but the idle has a mild but noticeable vibration to it from the pump.

Don't wan't to trade one semi-irritant for something worse. Any fix/solution in the works for all 20-series cards?

Jackolantern28
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/09 06:07:42 (permalink)
revanjedi

So by the comments there are 2 problems here, fans hitting the wires and/or the 0db feature's fan curve.  
I'm coming from a watercooled 1080 ti SC2 and looking to buy a 2080 ti FTW3. It's low on game-noise but the idle has a mild but noticeable vibration to it from the pump.

Don't wan't to trade one semi-irritant for something worse. Any fix/solution in the works for all 20-series cards?

I had to set a fan curve in Precision X1 on my 2060 XC to prevent 0db mode. Unfortunately, you still hear the grinding noise on boot and once logged into windows, when precision X1 loads (with its intrusive splash screen). Its not really a fix but a band aid. Very close to returning mine, and its not as expensive a purchase as a 2080ti FTW3. Dont just limit your choice to EVGA. I have done, but no longer will.

EVGA says there are no current fixes or planned fixes / BIOS updates.
revanjedi
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/09 06:12:42 (permalink)
Jackolantern28
revanjedi

I had to set a fan curve in Precision X1 on my 2060 XC to prevent 0db mode. Unfortunately, you still hear the grinding noise on boot and once logged into windows, when precision X1 loads (with its intrusive splash screen). Its not really a fix but a band aid. Very close to returning mine, and its not as expensive a purchase as a 2080ti FTW3. Dont just limit your choice to EVGA. I have done, but no longer will.

EVGA says there are no current fixes or planned fixes / BIOS updates.

That's really unfortunate, I'm debating between the FTW3 and the Strix models. I favor this one, but it's a bummer at any price point. Thanks for the insight. 
Flonkam
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/09 09:49:41 (permalink)
Jackolantern28
My monitor is 1080P 75Hz (overclocked from 60Hz)
Will single link DVI / HDMI be ok at that refresh rate. If so im returning this thing asap. EVGA have always been so helpful in the past, but their current attitude towards customers with this issue is dismissive. Very dissapointing.

The HDMI 2.0 output should be capable of much more bandwidth than single-link DVI, so there shouldn't be any problem that I'm aware of. I suppose if you wanted to feel as safe as possible, you could get an official answer from an EVGA representative.

revanjedi

I'm not suggesting that this is a "fix", but just throwing it out there for anyone who comes across this:

I genuinely recommend intra-aural earphones as the ideal for gaming, unless you are fortunate enough to be able to run a speaker system with large subwoofers without bothering anyone! The reasons are twofold:

First, intra-aural earphones are the only method beside large subwoofers that can reproduce all frequencies, at full amplitude, down to 20 - 30 Hz. Headphones can not produce low bass that is nearly as loud. This is possible because the earphones are inserted into the ear canal, forming a sealed chamber that allows the tiny low-frequency vibrations to make it to the eardrum without dissipating, the way they do with headphones. Games are a lot more intense when the CRUMP of a grenade--or the deep rumble of thunder--or the bass line of the audio--is just as loud as everything else, just as it's supposed to be.

Second, they act just like earplugs, drastically attenuating outside noise. This not only increases immersion, but means that the volume doesn't have to be turned up near as much as headphones in order to block out environmental noise--simply having the earphones inserted means that most of it is already blocked out.

A couple of important points: intra-aural earphones and earbuds are two entirely different things. Earbuds are garbage and the worst way to get sound into your head. They are the things that basically sit on the outside of your ear canal without being inserted. They are usually very cheap and have terrible sound quality.

Also, the only intra-aural earphones that I personally recommend, and highly, is the Klipsch S3m. They are surprisingly inexpensive but high quality, can be worn for hours without discomfort, and should last a long time if cared for (I have been using mine daily for at least 7 or 8 years--I've lost track. I bought a back-up pair a while ago, but still haven't had to open them up!). The S3m is no longer manufactured, but they should still be found new online.
post edited by Flonkam - 2019/04/09 09:52:05
revanjedi
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/04/09 16:33:39 (permalink)
That's actually a good idea for gaming, but for programming (which I find myself doing more of lately) I prefer to not have anything on-person. Watches and the like... 

I'll give it a shot and if the card has problems it doesn't hurt to return it. I'll report back in a few days. 
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 12
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile