EVGA

Helpful Reply2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 12
Author
msyltek
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/30 12:39:52 (permalink)
Happening on my 2080 FTW3, on all 3 fans, but not always all 3 fans when they turn on, but always at least one, seems random which ones happens to do it.
Have not closely inspected but common sense dictates it's not a wire causing it, because it can never ever be heard when the fans slow down even if I manually slow it down little by little with software, or abruptly make it stop from any %, and even at 100% speed and there is absolutely no way the fans air would be pushing away a goddamn cable like other people have theorized, not to mention it sounds nothing like a cable hitting a fan, it has a very different unique sound.
Fans also do not make any sound when I manually spin them with my hands.

It also seems to be worse when playing games that don't demand the card to go full boost clock, like old games, vs modern games that make the card pull all the clock it possible can and cause the temperature to rise quickly past the auto 60~ threshold.

I don't know, this might not be an issue with me if EVGA came clean and admitted to be a flaw and assured this will never lead to a malfunction or a symptom of an issue to come in the future, but since I can't be sure I'm probably gonna return it and buy from Asus or something.

Edit: unrelated to topic but after inspecting it more closely there was also at the end of the card a piece of the heatsink fin practically just floating there, I was able to knock it down by just tapping it slightly, it was in no way completely secured on all sides.

post edited by msyltek - 2018/12/30 13:10:16
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 04:47:33 (permalink)
msyltek
Happening on my 2080 FTW3, on all 3 fans, but not always all 3 fans when they turn on, but always at least one, seems random which ones happens to do it.
Have not closely inspected but common sense dictates it's not a wire causing it, because it can never ever be heard when the fans slow down even if I manually slow it down little by little with software, or abruptly make it stop from any %, and even at 100% speed and there is absolutely no way the fans air would be pushing away a goddamn cable like other people have theorized, not to mention it sounds nothing like a cable hitting a fan, it has a very different unique sound.
Fans also do not make any sound when I manually spin them with my hands.

Exactly but you'll be proven wrong by the forum trolls who know it all.  I've been saying it isn't mainly a cable issues but a motor startup issue.  Just run it on low and it won't 'click'.  I know what a fan with something in the way would sound like and guess what, the sound NEVER GOES AWAY! lol  It would continuously hit it if the cable was truly in the way.  smh

Anyways, let's get back to common sense.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Flonkam
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 265
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 07:27:23 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Exactly but you'll be proven wrong by the forum trolls who know it all.  I've been saying it isn't mainly a cable issues but a motor startup issue.  Just run it on low and it won't 'click'.  I know what a fan with something in the way would sound like and guess what, the sound NEVER GOES AWAY! lol  It would continuously hit it if the cable was truly in the way.  smh

Do you realize that your accusation of condescension in other people is a bit rich, considering that you have no problem resorting to insults? If you believe that someone is wrong, respond to him with an argument based upon empirical or logical evidence. If you can't do that, you should at least consider the possibility that you are the one who is wrong.

At any rate, I don't know what to tell either of you except that the wire issue is not a theory, but a fact that has been verified multiple times by multiple people on this forum alone. There are apparently two causes of noise: A problem inherent to the motor design, and a poorly-routed wire which contacts the fan blades.

It has already been reported that a sound only at spin-up was resolved by addressing an obstructing wire. If it is not the air pressure which causes the obstruction to move away from the fan blades, what could it be?
post edited by Flonkam - 2018/12/31 07:32:46
remidian
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 08:47:21 (permalink)
It's not the wire in every situation. My wires are tied down and it's impossible for them to touch the fans.  It's the motor starting up. Every single EVGA GPU is going to have this issue due to the fan manufacturer they used.  I've had two EVGA cards make the noise and I've had a FE from NVIDIA that didn't.  It's the sound of an electrical fan with cheap electronics starting up.  EVGA should be ashamed for trying to cut cost so much when the price of these GPU's has gone up by almost 50%. End of story. 
post edited by remidian - 2018/12/31 08:50:17

3080 FTW3 Ultra, Hero XIII, 11900k, Samsung 980 PRO 1TB, Acer XB270HU 1440p/144hz, Evga Supernova 1000w platinum. 
Heatware
remidian
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 08:51:01 (permalink)
KaptCrunch
https://youtu.be/TxTS7aoxGsc

yes that is the noise  then fan stopped  jammed wire 

That's not a wire....that's the sound all EVGA fans make this series.  It's been confirmed by a representative. The fan's shouldn't even be turning on with his case being open.  
post edited by remidian - 2018/12/31 08:59:52

3080 FTW3 Ultra, Hero XIII, 11900k, Samsung 980 PRO 1TB, Acer XB270HU 1440p/144hz, Evga Supernova 1000w platinum. 
Heatware
remidian
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 08:58:11 (permalink)
ty_ger07

Hi Chris,

Reviewing the video this is normal and it is due to the type of motor used on the fan and replacing the card would not resolve it. As it only happens when the fans first start you can use Precision X1 to set a custom fan curve to keep them running at the temperature that it is idling at or have them come on a little higher than the idle temperature so they will come on during games.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
EVGA

Another person got pretty much the same answer a week or two ago.

This is a HUGE problem. If I bought a PlayStation or an XBOX that made the same noise there would be a mass recall.  EVGA is trying to sweep this under the rug.  Don't take it out on customer service reps as they have no say in these decisions. I'm planning on setting up an RMA after the new year. If EVGA refuses I'll request that PAYPAL does a chargeback. Clicking noises from our PC's every 15 seconds is not normal. EVGA is not the company it once was. They are cutting cost every way possible this series. X1 is a broken mess as well. I'm sick of reading and being told "THIS IS NORMAL".  I've owned every GPU series NVIDIA has offered.  I've NEVER had this issue. If EVGA wants to play games we as customers lawfully can as well.  I'd do a chargeback, that will get their attention.
post edited by remidian - 2018/12/31 09:01:14

Heatware
arnolf
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 10:11:56 (permalink)
I have a small itx case (Ncase M1) and had a 2080XC. I managed with that model to have 2 noctua fans just under the card blowing fresh card on it. With these, the card was around 36°C on idle. I heard the clicking noise due to the fans of the card activating but it was not really an issue since they only made that noise when I was starting to play a game.

I replaced the card by a 2080 ti XC ultra and wanted to have the same noctua fans in their 15mm version under the card. Problem is that my MSI mobo seems to have its PCI port a bit lower than other mobos and those fans do not fit.

Without these intake fans under the card, the 2080 ti xc ultra (supposed to have a better cooler) idles at 55°C. As you can expect, the result is the fan going on and off constantly and I now understand why people are complaining (for what used to seem a non issue for me before).

Therefore I decided to install X1 and used a custom fan curve. To be honest, with fans set at 20% on idle, they are barely audible since the sound is covered by my CPU fan (which is very quiet). With this setting, the card idles at 36°C and no clicking noise until I play.

I have a strong coil whine on my card which is for me more of an issue and I will RMA it hoping to get a more silent one but I think I will stay on the same model as otherwise the card is fine and I have a good warranty with EVGA.

I don't think EVGA is going to recall all RTX models to replace the fans. This noise seems inherent to those and the solution is either to apply a custom curve or to increase your case airflow.

For the first solution you indeed need to install X1 (which is pretty unstable in its current state I admit).

Another solution may be for EVGA to modify the BIOS setting so that fans are always on like FE models and people would stop complaining probably. It would be however unfair for those with a good airflow since they can use the 0 noise feature without issue.
Flonkam
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 10:19:57 (permalink)
remidian
It's not the wire in every situation.

We know this--it has already been made clear earlier in the thread. There are at least two known causes of start-up noise: an obstruction, and something else, which is probably the bearings in the motor.

remidian
Every single EVGA GPU is going to have this issue due to the fan manufacturer they used.  I've had two EVGA cards make the noise and I've had a FE from NVIDIA that didn't. 

It's not clear to me how you know what the future holds, but interestingly not every EVGA GPU has this issue, and not every fan/motor on any given GPU has this issue. Further, one user reported that he had 10-Series and 900-Series EVGA cards which both had the same start-up noise, which I admit seems odd, but there it is.

remidian
That's not a wire....that's the sound all EVGA fans make this series. 

You're missing the point: KaptCrunch reported that his start-up noise was eliminated by relocating an obstructing wire, and he reported that his noise matched that of the video.

remidian
EVGA should be ashamed for trying to cut cost so much when the price of these GPU's has gone up by almost 50%...EVGA is not the company it once was. They are cutting cost every way possible this series.

Hold on, though. You're acting like EVGA cutting costs (if indeed they are...fluid dynamic bearings are more expensive than ball bearings) is a greedy move, as if EVGA decided to cut costs while simultaneously doubling its prices. But if EVGA is cutting costs, it's a reaction to NVIDIA who raised prices. EVGA's prices are much higher because they are paying much more to NVIDIA. I'm not pretending that I have any inside information, but I assume that EVGA is trying its best to deliver a quality product while still making a profit.
alaylm1
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 10:22:02 (permalink)
My new EVGA 2080 Ti Black does this noise but I have two 140MM Noctua case fans underneath it blowing air up so it only does it when I enter and exit a game. Not bothersome for the time being but worrisome that EVGA would use crummy parts.
byblo
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 11:22:32 (permalink)
Got today my 2070 Black.

At first run, I thought my HDD were dying badly: the starting fans are making the sound of some old rusty machine... Who allowed that kind of design at EVGA?

In some old games like left4dead2, the fans are non-stop starting-stopping. It is a nightmare to play with that non-stop noise coming from the case.
I've never heard my previous GPU, a 960gtx (a msi with "zero frost" fans or something like that), the fans never made any sound (they also stop when temperature is low, while spinning up gently when required)

Also, it seems after few months there is no clear response from evga, no bios fix, so i think i will return the card the next days.
There is no way i can get used to all that noise, the time pc's were loud like a vaccum machine and could have cover the problem, are gone since 2005 -_-

This said, is the sound maybe going less audible after some months of use? What happened to the other users who complained about it? How it ended for you?
msyltek
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 12:09:41 (permalink)
Flonkam
GTXJackBauer

Do you realize that your accusation of condescension in other people is a bit rich, considering that you have no problem resorting to insults? If you believe that someone is wrong, respond to him with an argument based upon empirical or logical evidence. If you can't do that, you should at least consider the possibility that you are the one who is wrong.

At any rate, I don't know what to tell either of you except that the wire issue is not a theory, but a fact that has been verified multiple times by multiple people on this forum alone. There are apparently two causes of noise: A problem inherent to the motor design, and a poorly-routed wire which contacts the fan blades.

It has already been reported that a sound only at spin-up was resolved by addressing an obstructing wire. If it is not the air pressure which causes the obstruction to move away from the fan blades, what could it be?

If it was an obstruction, then I would be able to replicate the sound by manually spinning the fan with my fingers, that makes sense right?
Then why am I not hearing anything when I do this? Why is it all 3 fans doing the exact same sound? Why is the sound never present on slow down?
Like, I'm sure there are some people with obstruction problems, but the rest of us are having a completely different issue.

oh and it just started coil whining, great
but that's also unrelated to this topic
post edited by msyltek - 2018/12/31 12:33:29
Flonkam
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 14:03:28 (permalink)
msyltek
If it was an obstruction, then I would be able to replicate the sound by manually spinning the fan with my fingers, that makes sense right?

You would have to spin it very fast, but yes, I agree.

msyltek
Then why am I not hearing anything when I do this?

The most likely answer is that you don't have an obstruction. I have to admit that it's not clear why you are asking these questions, though. Did someone tell you that you had an obstruction?

msyltek
Why is it all 3 fans doing the exact same sound? Why is the sound never present on slow down?

If it is the bearings that are the problem, then that would make sense, although it's not clear why not all fans/motors generate the noise.

Also--and you can find this information earlier in the thread--it has been reported, and is maybe even the normal situation, that a wire obstruction does not result in noise at spin-down. The logical reason for this is that the pliability of the wire requires an amount of time to return to its rest position, by which time the blades have mostly or fully come to a stop.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 15:27:57 (permalink)
Flonkam

I'm trying to hold back but you leave me with no choice.  You are the new forum troll around here since 4 weeks ago.  You've been passive aggressive in your 10 page responses and a know it all.  Sit back and just read what other's have to say.  You don't need to jump at peoples throats of them 'being wrong' in your world but hey, they could possibly be but that's ok but again, I'm starting to feel you might be a disgruntled former user that could have been banned or 'quit' only to recreate a new account.  Idk what to think anymore but you surely have a pattern around here.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Flonkam
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 16:46:50 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
I'm trying to hold back but you leave me with no choice.  You are the new forum troll around here since 4 weeks ago.  You've been passive aggressive in your 10 page responses and a know it all.  Sit back and just read what other's have to say.  You don't need to jump at peoples throats of them 'being wrong' in your world but hey, they could possibly be but that's ok but again, I'm starting to feel you might be a disgruntled former user that could have been banned or 'quit' only to recreate a new account.  Idk what to think anymore but you surely have a pattern around here.

I realize that you probably don't care, but a 'troll' is not a term for someone you personally dislike. Also, I don't think that you understand what 'passive aggressive' means. Challenging or correcting someone is not being "passive aggressive", though I imagine it might seem that way to a person who cannot handle being challenged or corrected.

I don't mind being criticized. Unlike you, I have skin of normal human thickness and not onion skin. If you criticize me though, I expect you to at least provide examples. Can you provide one or two examples of me jumping down someone's throat?

In the mean time, I will provide a few examples of Flonkam being an insufferable "know-it-all" (You can help by providing more as well):

"I don't know this for certain, but my understanding was..."

"I think that that is a very good point. I surmised earlier that it didn't make sense...but I either didn't know or didn't think about the fact that you point out."

"Are these warranties transferable? That's something I don't know."

"but I have no real knowledge of this subject. I'm probably misunderstanding things..."

"Don't take my opinion as Gospel, but I don't think..."

"I can think of only one possibility. Perhaps tox1c90 can tell us what he thinks about it..."

"Regarding the purported answer from EVGA that annihilator6 posted, I would like to know what everyone else thinks..."

"Yes...what is your opinion on this? I was genuinely surprised the first time I changed my fan curve..."

"Is this what you are referring to? And if so, what is your opinion on the matter?"

"My apologies--I didn't read closely enough..."

"I admit that it still seems odd...but perhaps danyulcohen's explanation is the right one."
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 20:34:19 (permalink)
Have a Happy New Year Flon.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 20:55:23 (permalink)

It's secured by a press-fit (circled) onto the heat pipes. That's it. That's common heatsink construction. If you pull evenly and hard enough, you could remove all of the fins which aren't otherwise obstructed by any part of the assembled card or aren't otherwise tied into the heatsink shroud assembly.

I've pulled fins off and pushed fins onto a heatsink before for one reason or another. It's pretty simple tech.

Yours just happened to have an abnormally loose press-fit. If you want to fix it yourself, flatten out the circled cone-shaped holes VERY VERY slightly in order to make the holes VERY slightly smaller again. Then carefully press it back onto the stack. Just remember that you only need enough friction for it to stay on and make contact. Too much of a press-fit will cause you to bend/damage/break the heatsink as you try to force it on. It's much easier to make small adjustments and keep retesting the fit but much harder to make it loose again if you take it too far with too few test-fits. If you have a vise, even better. Put it in the vise, turn it down until you have just the SLIGHTEST pressure pressing those cone-shaped holes flat. Stick it on the heatsink. Still too loose? Stick it in the vise again and tighten it slightly more. Repeat as many times as necessary. There, now you have assembled it like in the factory.

Bonus points for using a micrometer or dial calipers to make it fit right.

Or, contact EVGA and RMA the video card.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/12/31 21:29:43

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

byblo
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2018/12/31 23:58:00 (permalink)
Is it possible to change the fans by customs ones? I dont know nothing about overclocking and customizing GPU. But maybe there is some silent coolers around to buy to replace the default ones?
ghtopdog
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/01 07:14:11 (permalink)
Fix for the Clicking Sound on RTX 2080 XC Ultra.

I received my RTX 2080 XC Ultra on December 31, 2018 and immediately after I installed and turned the computer back on it started a clicking sound from the Fan.  So I installed all drivers and the Precision X1 software and it still did not fix the problem.  So i started researching and found a Fix on Youtube.  It is a design flaw with the RTX 2080's.  There is a wire that runs at the bottom corner of the fan housing that causes the (Fan Blades) to touch when the Fans are turning, because the wire is raised.  That's what causing the Clicking Sound when the Fans are turning.   So I used (Super Glue) to glue the wire to the bottom corner away from the Blades.  This has totally (Fixed) the Clicking Sound. 

In the first image, you will see the Blades touching the wire when spinning. 

The second image, you will see the super glue i used to glue down the wires in the corner, fixing the problem. 
post edited by ghtopdog - 2019/01/01 10:43:03

Attached Image(s)

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/01 07:45:36 (permalink)
A fan wire doesn't cause coil whine. lol

Edit: now that you edited your post, my post doesn't make much sense any more.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/01/02 05:48:08

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

trackermut
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/01 16:05:13 (permalink)
Question to all has EVGA  (UK/Europe) made any response to the bearing noise issue? Got Card less than a week ago and its driving me round the bend, card part of high end HTPC build for living room with main duties playing movies. Come On EVGA RTX 2080 TI not an enrty level card and at these prices expect nothing but perfection. Opened support ticket and if they cant sort card will be going back, So disapointed.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/01 16:07:44 (permalink)
trackermut
Question to all has EVGA  (UK/Europe) made any response to the bearing noise issue? Got Card less than a week ago and its driving me round the bend, card part of high end HTPC build for living room with main duties playing movies. Come On EVGA RTX 2080 TI not an enrty level card and at these prices expect nothing but perfection. Opened support ticket and if they cant sort card will be going back, So disapointed.

Yes, at least twice (quoted in this thread).  In both instances in this thread, the second-hand quotes indicate that EVGA's opinion is that the noise is to be expected.

Flonkam
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/01 17:12:40 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Have a Happy New Year Flon.

A happy New Year as well! And a very merry unbirthday, to you.

Unless it happens to actually be your birthday, then happy belated unbirthday. Or early unbirthday. Ah, both, what the heck.
trackermut
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/01 18:09:44 (permalink)
ty_ger07
trackermut

Yes, at least twice (quoted in this thread).  In both instances in this thread, the second-hand quotes indicate that EVGA's opinion is that the noise is to be expected.

Okay  with you now remembered two quotes first from korean community looked back, second From csaris yeah see now he posted price in Euros ,cheers. Just cant get my head round EVGA thinking this is acceptable at this price point or at any price.
post edited by trackermut - 2019/01/01 18:18:36
KaptCrunch
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 126
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/02 02:57:31 (permalink)
ghtopdog
Fix for the Clicking Sound on RTX 2080 XC Ultra.

I received my RTX 2080 XC Ultra on December 31, 2018 and immediately after I installed and turned the computer back on it started a clicking sound from the Fan.  So I installed all drivers and the Precision X1 software and it still did not fix the problem.  So i started researching and found a Fix on Youtube.  It is a design flaw with the RTX 2080's.  There is a wire that runs at the bottom corner of the fan housing that causes the (Fan Blades) to touch when the Fans are turning, because the wire is raised.  That's what causing the Clicking Sound when the Fans are turning.   So I used (Super Glue) to glue the wire to the bottom corner away from the Blades.  This has totally (Fixed) the Clicking Sound. 

The second image, you will see the super glue i used to glue down the wires in the corner, fixing the problem. 

that is the most honest assessment of the real noise for all the rest  

EVGA does stride to put out a good product then the know it all's who defer operation of the card  that's on you
(COIL whine over-clocker) can you return your card for your moneys worth or was it opened and soldered 

so stop the belly-aching of failed KIA's

msyltek
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/02 13:11:57 (permalink)
Now I've started getting brown screens of death, man I got really unlucky with this card
tox1c90
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/03 10:35:18 (permalink)
ghtopdog

And I assume, you have that wire below both fans? And in the very same way touching the blades of the second fan as well? Because both fans are making exactly the same noise.

And the noise we were talking about in this thread is also no noise that is "starting" somehow - by saying "it started" to make that noise you're implying to hear it more than once in a row coming from the card.

I can only repeat what I wrote in one of my former posts - the noise which I was talking about all the time appears slightly before the fans are even starting to rotate. Sometimes in this very moment you can also see a small shock going through the fans when they move a tiny bit counter-clockwise in the wrong direction.
I give the fans the command to start rotating via EVGA precision - strange NOISE - and then, a small fraction of a second after the noise the fan blades are spinning.

So there is no way that this noise which I am talking about is coming from any mechanical stuff. It's coming from the fan motor in that very moment where it receives current.

I don't know why it's still so difficult for some people here to accept that obviously we are talking about two different problems in this thread.
post edited by tox1c90 - 2019/01/03 10:39:35
msyltek
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/03 11:50:44 (permalink)
tox1c90
ghtopdog

And I assume, you have that wire below both fans? And in the very same way touching the blades of the second fan as well? Because both fans are making exactly the same noise.

And the noise we were talking about in this thread is also no noise that is "starting" somehow - by saying "it started" to make that noise you're implying to hear it more than once in a row coming from the card.

I can only repeat what I wrote in one of my former posts - the noise which I was talking about all the time appears slightly before the fans are even starting to rotate. Sometimes in this very moment you can also see a small shock going through the fans when they move a tiny bit counter-clockwise in the wrong direction.
I give the fans the command to start rotating via EVGA precision - strange NOISE - and then, a small fraction of a second after the noise the fan blades are spinning.

So there is no way that this noise which I am talking about is coming from any mechanical stuff. It's coming from the fan motor in that very moment where it receives current.

I don't know why it's still so difficult for some people here to accept that obviously we are talking about two different problems in this thread.

Yeah this, I just tested it, the HDD failing noise can be heard half a second before the fans begin to move.
Flonkam
iCX Member
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/03 17:00:59 (permalink)
tox1c90

Do you have the means of posting a well-lit video of the phenomenon you describe, in which it is clear that the sound is produced before the fans begin to spin?

I for one would appreciate it. I haven't heard anything yet from my card, but it's clear that I don't have an obstruction, and the other noise may be too quiet for me to hear with my current level of ambient noise.
post edited by Flonkam - 2019/01/03 17:25:10
Luke95vl
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/04 08:39:10 (permalink)
I also have the same problem, and starting the fans from X1 and keeping them locked it feels perfectly that the noise is not something mechanical but it is the engines at the start-up
msyltek
Re: 2080 TI XC Ultra fan clicking noise 2019/01/04 10:16:32 (permalink)
ty_ger07

It's secured by a press-fit (circled) onto the heat pipes. That's it. That's common heatsink construction. If you pull evenly and hard enough, you could remove all of the fins which aren't otherwise obstructed by any part of the assembled card or aren't otherwise tied into the heatsink shroud assembly.

Oh yeah thanks for this, got it attached back up
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 12
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile