Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102315
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/01/13 07:58:52 (permalink)
https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/wolfenstein-youngblood-update-finally-adds-ray-tracing-and-dlss-support/

NVIDIA announced that the update was coming soon last Monday, when the ‘Game Ready’ driver began rolling out, setting the foundation for the update. Then over the weekend, Bethesda began rolling out Youngblood’s new RTX graphics options, which can be found in the Advanced Settings section of the game’s video options menu.

While some games have gone for full ray-traced global illumination, or ray-traced shadows, Wolfenstein: Youngblood will follow in Battlefield V’s footsteps and stick to reflections, which tends to be the most easily noticeable area for ray-tracing.
Of course, turning on ray-tracing will come with a performance hit, which is where DLSS comes in. Nvidia’s DLSS mode has been criticised for its mixed results in terms of image quality, but there is no denying that it also provides a much needed performance boost when playing with ray-tracing switched on. We haven’t had the chance to test DLSS and ray-tracing in Youngblood for ourselves just yet but we’ll hopefully be able to look into it soon.

I hope this will bring a better gaming experience than the initial release.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

12 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/01/13 09:54:23 (permalink)
    still very dark in some of those scenes ... in the trailer on my laptop

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/01/13 10:19:56 (permalink)
    the old joke has to be said , -- " Is this the update that makes it good ? "

...because I played a couple of levels and man, it was so boring & the dialog was cringey.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/01/13 10:41:07 (permalink)
    🤣🤣🤣. Still Nvidia can't get it right🙉😁🙄🤦

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    NazcaC2
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 7420
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/01/15 09:36:55 (permalink)
    Scenes that are originally dark aren't supposed to brighten up, that's not the nature of ray tracing. It involves reflections and shadows based on the scene at hand. It's not bloom, saturation or exposure. Though with ray tracing and decent light shafts, it can light up a scene ideally than without.

Intel i9-12900K
    ASUS Prime Z690-A
    Corsair 850W RM850x
    Windows 11 Professional
    Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
    Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
    Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/02/05 19:06:37 (permalink)
    DLSS has gotten way better for sure...

Settings I used:

Performance numbers running the lab x benchmark inside the game & a picture of the game with the above settings applied:

Performance numbers & a picture of the game with the nvidia dlss setting set to off, anti-aliasing set to tssaa 8tx, and resolution scale set to off:

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/02/06 11:52:14 (permalink)
    atfrico

According to my previous post it looks like they are making very good progress. 
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/02/06 12:01:36 (permalink)
    Got to say I am not seeing much difference between those screenshots for DLSS. I really thought Shadow of the Tomb Raider was also a good improvement for DLSS as well. I think I would play with DLSS on and gain the frames vs. the slight quality improvement of having it on in this game.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/02/06 12:07:03 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Got to say I am not seeing much difference between those screenshots for DLSS. I really thought Shadow of the Tomb Raider was also a good improvement for DLSS as well. I think I would play with DLSS on and gain the frames vs. the slight quality improvement of having it on in this game.

The performance improvement is very much welcomed. If you inspect the images closely the image with dlss on is much sharper in certain areas compared to just the native 4k screenshot. 
    z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/02/22 06:03:06 (permalink)
    here I am still with a 1080 ti, no ray tracing (that isn't horrible) or DLSS, makes me wonder what will happen next gen software wise

also, how do framerates compare with no form of AA at all? I can't seem to find what DLSS is usually being compared against in these improvements, other forms of AA (which?) no AA at all?
    post edited by z999z3mystorys - 2020/02/22 06:05:47
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/02/22 14:44:40 (permalink)
    z999z3mystorys
    here I am still with a 1080 ti, no ray tracing (that isn't horrible) or DLSS, makes me wonder what will happen next gen software wise

also, how do framerates compare with no form of AA at all? I can't seem to find what DLSS is usually being compared against in these improvements, other forms of AA (which?) no AA at all?

Running with no aa doesn't bring the performance up at all. 71/47/85 was what I got with no aa at all and resolution scale set to off. DLSS improves performance and visuals. In my benchmarks it's being compared to tssaa 8tx.
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/02/22 14:49:22 (permalink)
    Sajin
    atfrico

Wake me up 1 year from now😹😹😹😪😪😪
    Since when it was said Ray Tracing will be supported fully🤔🙄

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood update finally adds ray-tracing and DLSS support 2020/02/23 02:40:42 (permalink)
    atfrico
    Sajin
    atfrico

Wake me up 1 year from now😹😹😹😪😪😪
    Since when it was said Ray Tracing will be supported fully🤔🙄

Really full ray tracing will be about a decade away. Right now you have illumination, reflections or shadows that RTX is doing in most games. Quake 2 is an example of all three being done and it is impressive. Full ray tracing in modern games is going to take a lot of power but will really be impressive.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile