Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
yaymz
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 736
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2022/09/19 12:24:07 (permalink)
Simply put:  Andrew (EVGA CEO) has left the door open for Nvidia to come back to the table and have some closed door talks and fix this broken partnership, the posturing of EVGA is evident below.

What do I mean by this?  The main reason I say this is because it was CLEARLY STATED that EVGA would NOT be making AMD or Intel cards.  Had EVGA said that they *would* be working with AMD or Intel, that would absolutely be shutting the door on Nvidia.   To me, EVGA is playing a game of Texas Hold'em with Nvidia.  

There is some other evidence worth talking about.  Much of this came from the GamersNexus and Jayz2Cents videos that dropped at virtually the same time (more on this below).
Gamers Nexus vid, "EVGA Terminates NVIDIA Partnership, Cites Disrespectful Treatment"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV9QES-FUAM&t=860s
Jayz2Cents vid, "BREAKING NEWS! - EVGA will no longer do business with NVIDIA"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Hcbx33Rb4&t=797s
(Are there other vids that dropped?  Jay mentions that there were only a few people invited to the meeting with EVGA's secret closed door meeting)

Additional facts:
  • Andrew (EVGA) threw all his cards on the table with the GN/Jayz interview and went ALL IN.  This seemed like a controlled press release (which it was), but there are still some unanswered questions. 
    • EVGA is a very secretive/private company that doesn't let much out.  Being that they were willing to discuss things like pricing and margins shows that they are going ALL-in on this.  
    • It seems like they are working to get the customers on their side.  Hence the notes on how tight Margins were on GPUs.
  • EVGA already works with AMD - as pointed out in the GN/Jayz videos, EVGA already has a working relationship with AMD since they MFG AMD Motherboards.  Very odd that they wouldn't just pivot to AMD.  The only explanation here is if Andrew is leaving that door open for Nvidia to come back to the table.
  • Timing
    • Both videos mentioned above, along with the Official EVGA statement dropped at virtually the same time, 1pm PST on 9/16
      • It was mentioned that the release of this Breaking News was under embargo (NDA?) and that the timing was controlled.  Why does this matter?
        • Nvidia: NVDA is traded on the Nasdaq which closes at 4pm EST (1pm PST).  The Breaking news that came out Friday seems like a controlled media release after the market closed.  It is Worth mentioning that as of this morning, Wall street has not reacted negatively to this EVGA news and Nvidia's stock price is relatively flat.
    • The timing of this release also comes into play with Nvidia's GTC event happening this week.  Obviously behind the scenes of this event, this is what is being talked about and this news is egg on the face of Nvidia.  Jensen has a keynote on Tuesday, so this announcement on Friday probably ruined his weekend.  
    • To me, the timing of the release is strategic and gives a little bit of leverage to EVGA in getting Nvidia attention and getting them to come back to the table
  • EVGA Employees - It was mentioned in the GN/Jayz videos that job loss would "be minimal" and that most employees would transition to other parts of the business
    • To me, this seems like EVGA wants to retain their talent in the GPU space.  As pointed out in the videos above, it makes no (business) sense to keep these employee's on payroll if there is no work for them.  If these highly talented people went to other AIB's or parts of the industry, EVGA would lose part of the magic that makes EVGA who they are.
  • Working 40 series prototype - As mentioned in the GN/Jaz vid, The work is largely done on 40 series.  EVGA has likely spent a large amount of time/money RnDing/developing 40 series boards up until this point.  Based on rumors and what is expected to come out, they are probably at the point where they need to put in some purchase orders with Nvidia for 40 series chips.  EVGA's grievances - I would agree after watching the video's above, that EVGA has some legitimate and multiple concerns that should be addressed.   Getting "out-priced" by your supplier is certainly a huge issue and not sustainable.
    • Why is Nvidia doing this?  (My assumption:)  Because they over forecasted GPU/chip demand.  To be fair, it sounds like EVGA (and everyone in the industry) did the same with how much 30 series they purchased and are sitting on.  The key here is that nobody knew about the prefect storm of the economy crashing/crypto diving and a complete 180 from where we were are a year prior.  More below:
How did we get here?  The first tell that there were issues brewing was from articles posted in early July indicating that Nvidia would be asking TSMC to push back delivery of 40 series chips.  https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-apple-nvidia-reportedly-reducing-5nm-tsmc-orders
In hindsight, this was a HUGE tell that there would be overstock on 30 series inventory situations through Summer.  Nobody could predict that there would be an overstock, but now Nvidia (and AIB's) have an issue at hand.  If the AIB's aren't willing to purchase these chips, then Nvidia is on the hook for them, hence why we are seeing so many FE cards flood the market at crazy prices. 

At the end of the day,  EVGA certainly needs Nvidia, but Nvidia also needs EVGA.  You can't simply replace the equity, blood sweat and tears that EVGA has done for Nvidia and the GPU industry, and EVGA is a huge part of Nvid's gaming GPU portfolio. Everyone needs to come back to the table to work this out, get those factories pumping and get us some 4090's by Christmas time.  Not saying this will happen, but there is certainly hope for the possibility that things could be worked out and we could be seeing Breaking news that "EVGA and Nvid have worked out their differences" and 40 series is back on the production schedule with EVGA.
post edited by yaymz - 2022/09/19 19:16:07

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
mobo: Asus z690 Apex
ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
case: Lian-li o11d xl
monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/

54 Replies Related Threads

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/19 12:42:28 (permalink)
    If EVGA announced they would be releasing AMD/Intel GPUs it would have no bearing on whether or not they would return to making Nvidia cards. People thought the same thing regarding AMD motherboards since EVGA was Intel specific, yet here we are with an EVGA X570 board and they still continue to make Intel boards. EVGA doesn't have to be exclusive to Nvidia, just like they aren't exclusive to Intel anymore. 

I can certainly understand all these theories and hyperbole EVGA has a massive user/fan base, but it is what it is. EVGA has chosen to not make video cards anymore. Just because they have working prototypes in no way means most of the work is done. They still have to finalize their design, Q/A said design, mass produce it, inventory and then ship it. They are "maybe" at the halfway point in terms of releasing anything. If for whatever reason EVGA decided to about face and move forward with Nvidia we wouldn't see any cards from them till at earliest Q1 next year. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    dragomirc
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 760
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/19 13:08:51 (permalink)
    Wet dream.
    Darkrealms
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/19 13:32:52 (permalink)
    Yaymz I can agree with that for the most part, unfortunately I think Nvidia thinks they are more important and EVGA won't be that big of a hit.  I sincerely hope you are right however.  Very well put together article.  There is also this video on Nvidias plan to control 3rd and 4th quarter releases https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15FX4pez1dw.  It seems like they are more aware of not only their over stock but also the hash rate changes (see comments below).

CraptacularOne I disagree that Nvidia is not vindictive about "betrayal". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QADCRdzqOH0 Linus talks about it and he isn't the only one that has.  Intel and AMD are not like this.

Another thing that has been mentioned on the side but not really brought to the front is the 1000TH/s in primarily GPU mining that was just lost on Ethereums change to POS from POW.  Some of that hashing power will distribute elsewhere but much of it will be sold on markets.  This will cause a probably 6/12 month hit on new GPU sales.
    If Nvidia is really being that much of a pain in the ass (I tend to believe a lot of it) it will probably be the 3rd party MFGs (like EVGA)
     that will end up with the majority of the financial burden from both the used market influx and the over purchase of GPU chips.

EVGA keep making quality/enthusiast products for the tech industry no matter what they are, I've loved being an EVGA customer and the support has always been top notch.  Even through the products that have had problems at launch you've still supported the community and been there to fix your problems!
    post edited by Darkrealms - 2022/09/19 13:44:51
    donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15887
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/19 13:49:53 (permalink)
    I do not see it happening. Watch the Gamers Nexus video Patrick asked Andrew Han the right questions. Then look at the AIB profits vs nvidia's profits. Nvidia wants sole control of their cards and will eventually push the AIB's out becoming the Apple/Tesla of their GPU's. They really want the Geforce Now business model rent a GPU with a monthly fee. Subscription based gpu rentals over the net will yield them more cash than gamers who buy individual cards.
    Andrew Han even said the profit margin with nvidia is not worth his trouble anymore, the man is in his 60's and just wants to chill. He is able to walk away without debt. Maybe keep enough of the company for small stuff like Corsair does. But the GPU market he continues with it eventually being debt free will catch up with him operating in the negatives is always bad for your pocket evga is very much in his back pocket being the sole owner at this point. It is best he pulls out now even though we may not agree with it walking away scot-free with all his money. Have thought about it and as someone who owned a business and sold taking care of my employees first and foremost before handing my business over. Andrew Han really did pick the right course of action for himself as the chips lay now.
    Since cutting the partnership and not doing GPU's this is where Andrew Han will decide if the side products are profitable enough to keep some kind of operation going. If not he can close shop and still sail away into the sunset financially set fully into his retirement.
    post edited by donta1979 - 2022/09/19 13:50:58

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/19 13:55:57 (permalink)
    Darkrealms
    Yaymz I can agree with that for the most part, unfortunately I think Nvidia thinks they are more important and EVGA won't be that big of a hit.  I sincerely hope you are right however.  Very well put together article.  There is also this video on Nvidias plan to control 3rd and 4th quarter releases https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15FX4pez1dw.  It seems like they are more aware of not only their over stock but also the hash rate changes (see comments below).

CraptacularOne I disagree that Nvidia is not vindictive about "betrayal". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QADCRdzqOH0 Linus talks about it and he isn't the only one that has.  Intel and AMD are not like this.

Another thing that has been mentioned on the side but not really brought to the front is the 1000TH/s in primarily GPU mining that was just lost on Ethereums change to POS from POW.  Some of that hashing power will distribute elsewhere but much of it will be sold on markets.  This will cause a probably 6/12 month hit on new GPU sales.
    If Nvidia is really being that much of a pain in the ass (I tend to believe a lot of it) it will probably be the 3rd party MFGs (like EVGA)
    that will end up with the majority of the financial burden from both the used market influx and the over purchase of GPU chips.

EVGA keep making quality/enthusiast products for the tech industry no matter what they are, I've loved being an EVGA customer and the support has always been top notch.  Even through the products that have had problems at launch you've still supported the community and been there to fix your problems!

I never said Nvidia wasn't "vindictive" or anything of the sort. I am simply stating that EVGA not announcing working with any other GPU vendor has no bearing on the wild assumptions made by the OP here. EVGA could choose to work with AMD or Intel and still continue to work with Nvidia if they wanted to, just like ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte release both AMD and Nvidia GPUs. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/19 14:32:01 (permalink)
    You spoke a lot based upon videos and assumptions.  No, it's not gong to happen.   A few things.  Andrew Han wants to spend more time with family.   Things between EVGA and NVIDIA aren't changing before Christmas.  And lastly with the shortages worldwide on silicon, the increasing tensions with Taiwan and China, not to mention Taiwan let go 20% of their workforce, it's done.  The decision was probably done months ago.

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    mizzer
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 309
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/19 15:59:55 (permalink)
    donta1979
    They really want the Geforce Now business model rent a GPU with a monthly fee. Subscription based gpu rentals over the net will yield them more cash than gamers who buy individual cards.

This.

This is where the industry is moving to. It’s just a matter of 5G becoming ubiquitous for the last mile customer base. 

Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 * AMD 5900X * 32GB G.SKILL Trident 3600 * Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 * GeForce 4090 FE  * Corsair RM1000x PSU * 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe * 2x 2TB Samsung 870 QVO SSDs * LG OLED48CXPUB * Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
    Chaos_21
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4524
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/19 16:43:15 (permalink)
    I will just wait and observe. This could end up a crash n burn. 

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Intel Core i9-12900K- EVGA 360 CLC Cooler-Corsair Vengeance 4 x 16GB 3200mhz-2TB  Solidigm P41 Plus M.2 SSD--Three 1TB 970 EVO SSD's-EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA-Corsair HX1000i-Windows 11 64bit-Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Case.      
     Steam     Twitter: https://twitter.com/Chaos_21
     Use my associate code: JBGVM12HDYDJPIM to get 5%-10% discount on EVGA purchases.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 00:02:06 (permalink)
    The NVIDIA announcement should be today

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 00:21:18 (permalink)
    EVGA will not produce any graphics cards anymore. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 00:33:57 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    EVGA will not produce any graphics cards anymore. 

I think the window for NVIDIA go correct things has ended but I wouldn’t say the window for EVGA to make graphics cards has ended as they are a big name in the industry right now. I do however think Gamers Nexus is right that the window for them to make graphics cards would be a short one. They are well known now but in four years they will not be if they suddenly decided to jump back in.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

yaymz
    SSC Member
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 10:05:48 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne
    If EVGA announced they would be releasing AMD/Intel GPUs it would have no bearing on whether or not they would return to making Nvidia cards.  

I agree, this would be true under most business circumstances, but remember that EVGA and Nvidia have partnership going back 23 years, which is ancient in the GPU space.  From my perspective, it seems like there was an unofficial "gentleman's agreement" between the two.  To quote Andrew Han:  "Because of the partnership, at least I don't betray them".   It was just always known that EVGA had no previous plans to ever produce an AMD card.   I've seen the question asked here on the forums going years back and official responses was that they would not.  

CraptacularOne
    People thought the same thing regarding AMD motherboards since EVGA was Intel specific, yet here we are with an EVGA X570 board and they still continue to make Intel boards. EVGA doesn't have to be exclusive to Nvidia, just like they aren't exclusive to Intel anymore.

Nvidia doesn't produce motherboards so it is a mute point.  There was never a perceived conflict of interest.  EVGA producing AMD motherboards has no bearing on Nvidia's GPU business.

Darkrealms
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 10:22:34 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne

I never said Nvidia wasn't "vindictive" or anything of the sort. I am simply stating that EVGA not announcing working with any other GPU vendor has no bearing on the wild assumptions made by the OP here. EVGA could choose to work with AMD or Intel and still continue to work with Nvidia if they wanted to, just like ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte release both AMD and Nvidia GPUs. 

It wasn't a personal attack but a statement of Nvidias self perceived importance and demand on the control of their IP.  Both of which AMD and Intel have not shown they have (Intel has been at times in the past).
    yaymz
    CraptacularOne
    If EVGA announced they would be releasing AMD/Intel GPUs it would have no bearing on whether or not they would return to making Nvidia cards.  

I agree, this would be true under most business circumstances, but remember that EVGA and Nvidia have partnership going back 23 years, which is ancient in the GPU space.  From my perspective, it seems like there was an unofficial "gentleman's agreement" between the two.  To quote Andrew Han:  "Because of the partnership, at least I don't betray them".   It was just always known that EVGA had no previous plans to ever produce an AMD card.   I've seen the question asked here on the forums going years back and official responses was that they would not.  
    CraptacularOne
    People thought the same thing regarding AMD motherboards since EVGA was Intel specific, yet here we are with an EVGA X570 board and they still continue to make Intel boards. EVGA doesn't have to be exclusive to Nvidia, just like they aren't exclusive to Intel anymore.

Nvidia doesn't produce motherboards so it is a mute point.  There was never a perceived conflict of interest.  EVGA producing AMD motherboards has no bearing on Nvidia's GPU business.

Agreed
    dragomirc
    SSC Member
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 10:31:42 (permalink)
    Delirious
     Andrew Han wants to spend more time with family.   Things between EVGA and NVIDIA aren't changing before Christmas.  

That is the most arrogant, selfish, and unacceptable, announcement I ever heard.
    CEO is (over)paid to spend his time benefiting corporation in general: including assets, workers, shareholders etc.
    CEO role is 100% dedication to the job-related activities, as so many people depend on his decisions, effectives, foreseeing chances and troubles etc.
    Retirement is the right way to spend more time with family.

I am furious that EVGA won't have 4k GPU as it seems those new cards will be quite better and cheaper than 3k cards.
    Lovelace architecture, which uses a custom TSMC 4nm process node should scream performance wise.

Will try to get FE 4080 16GB 
    B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2366
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 10:38:34 (permalink)
    dragomirc
    Delirious
     Andrew Han wants to spend more time with family.   Things between EVGA and NVIDIA aren't changing before Christmas.  

That is the most arrogant, selfish, and unacceptable, announcement I ever heard.
    CEO is (over)paid to spend his time benefiting corporation in general: including assets, workers, shareholders etc.
    CEO role is 100% dedication to the job-related activities, as so many people depend on his decisions, effectives, foreseeing chances and troubles etc.

I am furious that EVGA won't have 4k GPU as it seems those new cards will be quite better and cheaper than 3k cards.
    Lovelace architecture, which uses a custom TSMC 4nm process node should scream performance wise.

Uhh...maybe for a publicly traded company. EVGA is not that. CEO is also the owner. It's his business. He can do as he pleases. If he thinks this decision is best for him, his family, and his staff (or any combination of the three), it's his choice to make.

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 10:44:11 (permalink)
    dragomirc
    Delirious

He is the Owner & CEO.  EVGA is privately owned, if there are any outside investors - that information in Not public

B0baganoosh, posted while I was typing

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 10:49:49 (permalink)
    B0baganoosh
    dragomirc
    Delirious

Uhh...maybe for a publicly traded company. EVGA is not that. CEO is also the owner. It's his business. He can do as he pleases. If he thinks this decision is best for him, his family, and his staff (or any combination of the three), it's his choice to make.

+1.  Exactly!

yaymz
    SSC Member
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 10:55:31 (permalink)
    donta1979
    Nvidia wants sole control of their cards and will eventually push the AIB's out becoming the Apple/Tesla of their GPU's. They really want the Geforce Now business model rent a GPU with a monthly fee. Subscription based gpu rentals over the net will yield them more cash than gamers who buy individual cards.

the GeForce Now concept is very promising, but it has multiple issues they are going to need to work through and it still cannot replace having a top end physical GPU in a computer.  Publishing rights are going to be another big issue for them and it really pigeonholes people into playing only certain games and publishers to signing ridiculous Nvidia contracts.  

donta1979
    Andrew Han even said the profit margin with nvidia is not worth his trouble anymore, the man is in his 60's and just wants to chill. He is able to walk away without debt. Maybe keep enough of the company for small stuff like Corsair does. But the GPU market he continues with it eventually being debt free will catch up with him operating in the negatives is always bad for your pocket evga is very much in his back pocket being the sole owner at this point. It is best he pulls out now even though we may not agree with it walking away scot-free with all his money. Have thought about it and as someone who owned a business and sold taking care of my employees first and foremost before handing my business over. Andrew Han really did pick the right course of action for himself as the chips lay now.
    Since cutting the partnership and not doing GPU's this is where Andrew Han will decide if the side products are profitable enough to keep some kind of operation going. If not he can close shop and still sail away into the sunset financially set fully into his retirement.

I do not see Andrew just riding off into the sunset in this manner.  Why would you want to watch your company that you have spent decades building a solid reputation become some obscure name in the space that only produces peripherals and slaps stickers on PSUs?  

The company just in customer equity and employee talent factor alone is worth way more than that.  Andrew is not selling the company as of today, but if something doesn't happen in the next 6 months to a year, I could see the company put up for sale.  GN's mentions this at the end of their video and I agree that the clock is ticking.   But it is also ticking for Nvidia, as EVGA not placing orders for 40 series chips will affect it's bottom line once quarterly earnings come out.  Additionally Nvidia has an mountain of 40 series chips that they are going to need to take receipt of from TSMC by Q1 23.  EVGA has leverage to get Nvidia back to the table.
    post edited by yaymz - 2022/09/20 11:22:05

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 11:18:19 (permalink)
    Might be some wishful thinking in your theroy(s), but one can hope.  In the meantime, I'm not holding my breath.  I do hope EVGA either mends fences with Nvidia and comes to better terms or does end up making GPU's with someone elses chips even though it doesn't sound like it.

dragomirc
    SSC Member
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 11:30:42 (permalink)
    B0baganoosh

Cool GTX

He is the Owner & CEO.  EVGA is privately owned, if there are any outside investors - that information in Not public

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware that he owns EVGA 

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11105
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 11:57:14 (permalink)
    austin86
    CraptacularOne
    People thought the same thing regarding AMD motherboards since EVGA was Intel specific.

What are you talking about EVGA had AMD boards going back to socket 754???

They only made theAMD boards that had Intel chipsets then when AMD made their own chipset they stoped and were Intel boards only since then

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11105
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 12:45:07 (permalink)
    It was Nvidia chipsets then and it was like 15 years ago

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

dragomirc
    SSC Member
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 14:04:29 (permalink)
    austin86
    Read some of the testimony's from EVGA employees, you might end up hating the guy. like almost every one at EVGA is payed minimum wage in cal. of all places.

Thank you, although I sensed his tyrannical/hysterical nature, those testimony's went beyond my imagination.
    Now feel guilt that filled his pocket last 18 years (bought 9 EVGA cards for myself and roughly over 40 cards for rigs I built for friends and some sold). 
    Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/20 15:43:34 (permalink)
    dragomirc
    Delirious

I am the CEO of my company.  I own it.   And I don't give a rats about anything less when it comes to my family.   If I spent all my time at work and neglected my family,  I'd be making some changes.   Hopefully you have your own family and can relate.    Sometimes certain facets of business just become a pain (NVIDIA) and I can see making the choice to say the hell with it.
    post edited by Delirious - 2022/09/20 15:46:31

A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    yaymz
    SSC Member
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/21 09:43:03 (permalink)
    Delirious
    dragomirc
    Delirious

I am the CEO of my company.  I own it.   And I don't give a rats about anything less when it comes to my family.   If I spent all my time at work and neglected my family,  I'd be making some changes.   Hopefully you have your own family and can relate.    Sometimes certain facets of business just become a pain (NVIDIA) and I can see making the choice to say the hell with it.

"Andrew Han wants to spend more time with family. " - I think this was a poor response or poor excuse as a catalyst to getting out of the GPU space.  Everyone knows that any successful business "Owner/CEO" that has grown an empire and are getting close to retirement age typically brings in a new President/CEO to run the company and the owner typically transitions to a board seat (in this case Chairman).

redteamgo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 798
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/21 11:11:12 (permalink)
    yaymz
    Delirious
    dragomirc
    Delirious

"Andrew Han wants to spend more time with family. " - I think this was a poor response or poor excuse as a catalyst to getting out of the GPU space.  Everyone knows that any successful business "Owner/CEO" that has grown an empire and are getting close to retirement age typically brings in a new President/CEO to run the company and the owner typically transitions to a board seat (in this case Chairman).

pretty much.  "spending time with family" is what you say when you're about to get fired or have been fired but are externally visible and you need a cover story that no one will attack.

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
    GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
    MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
    PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
    Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
    NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
    Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
    Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
    yaymz
    SSC Member
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/21 11:35:18 (permalink)
    *Update to original post*

EVGA came out with an official statement regarding if there was ever an agreement with Nvidia not to build other brand graphics cards:

EVGA_JacobF
    Hi all,

Please see below for an update to the official message from EVGA:

EVGA has seen speculation as to whether EVGA has an agreement with NVIDIA not to build other brand graphics cards.

EVGA has no such agreement. For present, however, EVGA is exclusively focused on supporting its existing community and products.

This is an odd way of EVGA backing themselves into a corner and just adding more confusion to the situation, which is a major point Steve @ GN mentions in his video.

It would be nice to get some clarity regarding:
    "Andrew: Because of the partnership, at least I don't betray them"  -GN video @ 24:25 mark.
    and the statement
    "EVGA has seen speculation as to whether EVGA has an agreement with NVIDIA not to build other brand graphics cards.  EVGA has no such agreement"

In terms of "legal speak" this could just mean that there were no official agreements/documents Between EVGA and Nvidia that locked EVGA into a non-compete clause with Nvidia GPUs.  Which we can assume to be true.  However, It doesn't account for if there was an unofficial "gentlemen's agreement" (which happens in business) between Andrew and Jensen.  And how could there have ever been a betrayal in the first place if there wasn't an agreement?

And going back to motherboards for a second.  EVGA had exclusively made Intel boards (after Nvidia exited the motherboard space) for 12 years, and then started making AMD boards in 2021.  How is this not viewed as betraying the partnership with Intel?

There are still unanswered questions here EVGA.

post edited by yaymz - 2022/09/21 11:36:36

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/21 13:52:52 (permalink)
    yaymz
    Delirious
    dragomirc
    Delirious

I don't think it was a catalyst as much as the way NVIDIA acted in association with EVGA.  It was just an added reason and not in and of itself.   Not every business owner wants to sell out their business to someone else that will take it into a direction that He may not want it to look like.   The GN video mentioned he didn't want this.  

btodd1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 128
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Why we still might still see an EVGA 4090 before Christmas 2022/09/21 15:01:00 (permalink)
    Andrew? Sir?  If you are listening; (Reading) (And forum friends!) Please do your best to keep making video cards for us! I am a long time fan and customer and have purchased 100% EVGA video cards for many many years, as well as some other EVGA accessories and hope to for years to come! YOUR TECH SUPPORT IS TOP NOTCH! There is no company like yours! I plan on getting a new PS and some other EVGA branded items to round out my build. Just Got an older EVGA DG 8 series case, it's shipping now!

Thanks, Bret :)

MB:EVGA Z370 FTW/CPU:Intel Core i5 9600k/VIDEO: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid/MEM:G-Skill Titan Z Series 3000MHz 32G/PSU:Corsair RM1000 Gold-Modular/CPU Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB

Combat Names History: 
    FPSIdiot G Battlefield 2042 Warzone COD
    1ID10T in Battlefield 3,4 Hardline, Battlefront
    Makoto Nagano in BFBC2,  
    Bruce Willis in Battlefield 2142, Call of Duty, 
    Battlefield 2, Joint Operations, and
    Black Hawk Down. (Started with the BHD beta in 2001/2002). First FPS war game DOOM in the 1990's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile