EVGA

What's going on with EU and 3080's?

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 45 of 88
Author
Feuer_Psycho
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/08 05:18:15 (permalink)
alandoy

It's not entirely true that the European queues started later than the US. Yes, it took some time for the buttons to appear on the EU site, but I joined the US queue and my account had the correct entry. Maybe they migrated it behind the scenes? Dunno - but if it happened for me, it happened for others I'm sure. 
I wouldn't go as far as to use the word "conspiracy" as that conjures up a deliberate malevolence on behalf of a party or parties - and I don't think that is the case here. No my thinking is more benign and that someone had f'ed up somewhere and has either set the NA allocation too high, or the EU too low accidentally. 

Covid logistics and that I'm underestimating the effect? Maybe. But again, I'm not arguing/debating that there wasn't an effect on production (there was, I'm sure!), but rather, that I'm wondering what seemingly is so different with respect of NA and EU. Countries have restricted travel (for people), but yet that really hasn't materialized into cargo drop.

Now, before you say it.... a lot of cargo gets transported in "passenger" jets, as in aircraft who's main purpose is to move people - so if you have travel restrictions, therefore you don't have the jets (carrying passengers).... then there's a shortage of space for cargo on routes. However, a lot of airlines took that slack up by retrofitting planes to carry solely cargo, so AFAIK there's no general shortage of available space for cargo on ships/aircraft. If you want something shipped by air/ship, it's available. 

Nahh, something broken there.....sadly. However, as I mentioned previously I'm somewhat more optimistic lately for some reason. 

Wow. After all the posts people made to give different explanation why the US could get more cards you are still riding the same old horse alandoy. The same old inequality story about "someone must have done something wrong" or "looking at the numbers it must be the same as". 
There is only one thing to end this neverending Story would be an official post from someone like EVGA_JacobF stating: 
"Sorry  alandoy on behalf of EVGA I want to apologize for the way we mistreated you. In effect immediately we rebalanced the world wide queues to reflect who really is important US:1% EU:95% (some on the board even talk about closing the US market all together and move the headquarter to Vatican City).
To show you how important you are to us alandoy we already dispatched a 3090 Kingpin edition for you on the house. Please forward name & address of all your relatives and your favorite baker they'll all get one too just because we love you. Our engineers came up with a fantastic idea! With the 4000 series release we'll introduce "alandoy  Editions" cards with extra coil whine."
267D83BD9674497
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/09 00:56:38 (permalink)
Trinity99
Well I waited half a year, hoping at the end of each month that the wait is almost over, but couldn't do it any longer. I got an rx 6800 xt. It's a good card, roughly equal to the 3080.

I was lucky to get a Gigabyte Eagle 3070 OC in early november, and in hindsight I even have to add I got it relatively "cheap" for 660,- € – which seemed so be an almost unreasonably high price back then, but compared to the current situation I can almost call it a bargain, since for weeks 3070's in germany, if available at all, are sold at about 800,- € and above, even breaking the 1k€ barrier with ease in some shops.

However, as I'm mainly playing Assetto Corsa Competizione in VR, the 3070 in comparison with its predecessor 1080 was a huge leap forward, but as that sim hogs resources like chrome eats memory, every bit of headroom is welcome, so I'm still looking for a 3080.

When the announcements were made last year, the 6800XT looked like a pleasant alternative, as VR in its current state mostly needs rasterization performance. But VR benchmarks showed that the 8600XT is some 10-15 unconstrained FPS behind the 3080 and tends to produce more dropped frames on top. I don't know whether this is due to UE4 performing better with nVidia in general or other causes, but this is quite a margin.
Also, since I got a taste of raytracing and DLSS in control and Deliver Us The Moon I have to admit I don't wont to do without those features, so Big Navi is off the table.
alandoy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 159
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/09 04:52:32 (permalink)
Feuer_Psycho

Wow. After all the posts people made to give different explanation why the US could get more cards you are still riding the same old horse alandoy. The same old inequality story about "someone must have done something wrong" or "looking at the numbers it must be the same as". 
There is only one thing to end this neverending Story would be an official post from someone like EVGA_JacobF stating: 
"Sorry  alandoy on behalf of EVGA I want to apologize for the way we mistreated you. In effect immediately we rebalanced the world wide queues to reflect who really is important US:1% EU:95% (some on the board even talk about closing the US market all together and move the headquarter to Vatican City).
To show you how important you are to us alandoy we already dispatched a 3090 Kingpin edition for you on the house. Please forward name & address of all your relatives and your favorite baker they'll all get one too just because we love you. Our engineers came up with a fantastic idea! With the 4000 series release we'll introduce "alandoy  Editions" cards with extra coil whine."

Jeepers! Where did that come from?! 

Not sure where you got the impression that i feel personally mistreated. To the best of my knowledge I've treated everyone fairly, respectfully, even (numerous time) optimistically stating I feel a change in the air and that hopefully the God of GPU cards will rain his blessings on us all shortly. Sure - I've a different opinion, based on my reading of the statistics that we've available to us that there's something not right with the EU queue and that they should be moving faster - but you know what, that's ok. I'm not expecting complete parity with the NA queue, but it should be roughly the same. It's alright to have a difference of opinion. Good communities and forums excel when people speak up and voice opinions, listen, take feedback and if applicable change mindsets. Did you stop and consider "just for a minute" what if I'm right? No, course you didn't ...

You are entitled to form an opinion too on me, and perhaps I came across as overtly negative (that wasn't my intention), but you know what, the same grace that entitles you to have an opinion also entitles me to mine. 

Jeez.... 
BovineGamer
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 393
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/09 05:33:10 (permalink)
I will say just this, negativity tends to make people shy away.
No one here is pretending the process is doing well, but atempting to turn the discussion into agression will not make the queues move faster. Some people continue to push the idea that the NA queues are doing well, they are not, one needs only to read the pinned thread to realise they are having the same problems with cards not moving and very few numbers coming in.

There will be no drops in the NA queue today, oficial information, let's see if we are more lucky on this side. Early January provided us some drops while the NA queues were stuck.
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/09 05:48:33 (permalink)
Thanks Bovine - like you I do think that negativity is  to be discouraged, and why I didn't respond aggressively above, but when I see something unfair.....well people should speak up about it. Dealing with a problem can only be achieved once we acknowledge that there is a problem. I think that's just admitting the reality of the situation. 
I do have a (potentially naive?) hope that EVGA take more of a casual cursory look at the forum threads.....and while Feuer meant it insulting (to me) in a sarcastic way, it would really be great if EVGA did look in and comment as to why we seem to be significantly behind our cousins. That's not an unreasonable ask, although I'm old enough to realize that it's unlikely that anything will materialize. Still we can but try. 

It is also potentially useful to people to realize how bad the EU queue is - this is just reality. If they are reading the NA queue, while it's not exactly a happy place, it gives the impression that cards are shipping, and that's encouraging. The eu queues though.....wasteland. 
Nashi22
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/09 06:08:24 (permalink)
not aknowledging that there are problems and keep saying that everything is/will be fine when you house is on fire is not spreading negativity is just acknowledging reality
BovineGamer
iCX Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/09 06:34:41 (permalink)
Nashi22
not aknowledging that there are problems and keep saying that everything is/will be fine when you house is on fire is not spreading negativity is just acknowledging reality

I do not disagree, but unfortutnatley that's not EVGA's problem, they have said nothing all this time and I am sure they will continue to to be silent. Keep in mind that all efforts to pin-point the queue status have been community driven.

The actual problem is the danger of turning the community toxic enough that people will stop participating or worse, turning the discussion space into a pitchfork mob. It's very easy in these times to get mad and hop unto hate trains that will lead to nothing, miners will not listen and laugh, boters will insult you and still nothing good will come out of it.

That does not mean we cannot (and we should) talk about the shortages, but there is a fine line that separates aknowledging a fact that the queue lists made more aparent from rage-posting. We are all in this togheter, let's at least try to make it little less boring.
Nashi22
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/09 08:08:01 (permalink)
BovineGamer
Nashi22

I do not disagree, but unfortutnatley that's not EVGA's problem, they have said nothing all this time and I am sure they will continue to to be silent. Keep in mind that all efforts to pin-point the queue status have been community driven.

The actual problem is the danger of turning the community toxic enough that people will stop participating or worse, turning the discussion space into a pitchfork mob. It's very easy in these times to get mad and hop unto hate trains that will lead to nothing, miners will not listen and laugh, boters will insult you and still nothing good will come out of it.

That does not mean we cannot (and we should) talk about the shortages, but there is a fine line that separates aknowledging a fact that the queue lists made more aparent from rage-posting. We are all in this togheter, let's at least try to make it little less boring.

unfortunately history shows us that changes most of the time don't happen when people are being silent and peaceful (i would love for that to not be the case btw)

267D83BD9674497
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/10 00:52:20 (permalink)
alandoy 
it would really be great if EVGA did look in and comment as to why we seem to be significantly behind our cousins.

I am pretty sure they do look into these threads and are very aware of the current mood, but – most likely due to legal reasons – unable to post a statement. This goes along the whole chain from Samsung to nVidia to board partners to resellers.
In fact, the only party I know that released actual demand and supply numbers is proshop, and I think there's a reason for that that doesn't solely base on "we're not willing to tell".

Just imagine this overly simplified szenario.
EVGA: "OK guys, the thing is, GPU supply is tough these times …"
nVidia: "WATCH. YOUR. TONGUE. "
EVGA: "… however, we know you've been waiting a long time, so the next 1k cards ship to the EU queue …"
newegg: "Wait, what? Our contract says we get the next available batch! "
microcenter: "Eh eh eh eh wait, Our contract says WE get the next available batch! "
Amazon: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? "
EVGA: "*sigh* here we go. "
EVGA legal dept: "Told ya. "
Lawyers: "This means money, guys! "

alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/10 07:55:36 (permalink)
While it could be true, that might be a little harsh :-)

I've no doubt that the relationship between Nvidia and EVGA (and other board manufacturers) has probably been strained over the last 6 months, but in reality they all need each other as they all profit when the others profit. I know you meant it in a humorous way (and I see the funny side), but if companies reverted to legal avenues like that  - they'd spend half there time in litigation. There's always a bit of "wiggle room" and with the fact that production has been increased a few times to try and match demand, there are (extra) cards coming on channel which originally were not allocated to any specific channel. I've got some experience myself in this space, but not related to GPU board production, so I can't profess to be an expert in this exact situation. 

While every company does it differently, the way it normally works is that they divide the space into "channels". So you might divide it up something like. 
- 15% goes to our b2b customers in NA (these being Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc)
- 15% goes to out B2b customers in EU (these being Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc)
- 10% goes to out Australia  
- 10% goes to our large retail customers (Amazon, NewEgg)
- etc

So if Nvidia only gives 800 GPU chips (when EVGA were expecting 1000), then they have a decision to make as to who gets a card and who doesn't. They'll have to redistribute the cards somehow, meaning that someone somewhere has to lose out, or everyone takes a hit of the same percentage - or some other mix. Nvidia are kind of out of the loop at this stage - it's an internal EVGA decision. Sure they (Nvidia) might be the root cause of the shortage, but it's up to EVGA to distribute the cards as they see fit. 

As you would expect, companies tend to nurture and respect the B2B allocations as much as they can - with good reason. They generate the bulk of profits, and good luck to them. I want them to make as much as they can. It's in my best interest that EVGA makes a nice profit. 

Where it gets interesting is what EVGA have done here for their preorder queue. Which I applaud btw -  just in case someone berates me for being negative :-) Now in some respects, they've just putting a "queue" on top of the channel which they already had setup (6 months ago) for their own website. As in when the cards come out, we'll divert 5% of our inventory to the NA evga.com site, and 2% to eu.evga.com , etc. What the spreadsheets have done for me, is to give some insight (probably what EVGA didn't want) into those allocations and I would probably guess they never envisioned that the community would reverse engineer things like they did. The community is to be applauded also for that. 

Course, it's a complex space, many variables (some visible, some not), but I'd actually be hugely optimistic that the situation could be improved with minimal communications, and nothing that would give away the state secrets :-) 
BovineGamer
iCX Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/10 10:32:14 (permalink)
alandoy
While it could be true, that might be a little harsh :-)

I've no doubt that the relationship between Nvidia and EVGA (and other board manufacturers) has probably been strained over the last 6 months, but in reality they all need each other as they all profit when the others profit. I know you meant it in a humorous way (and I see the funny side), but if companies reverted to legal avenues like that  - they'd spend half there time in litigation. There's always a bit of "wiggle room" and with the fact that production has been increased a few times to try and match demand, there are (extra) cards coming on channel which originally were not allocated to any specific channel. I've got some experience myself in this space, but not related to GPU board production, so I can't profess to be an expert in this exact situation. 

While every company does it differently, the way it normally works is that they divide the space into "channels". So you might divide it up something like. 
- 15% goes to our b2b customers in NA (these being Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc)
- 15% goes to out B2b customers in EU (these being Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc)
- 10% goes to out Australia  
- 10% goes to our large retail customers (Amazon, NewEgg)
- etc

So if Nvidia only gives 800 GPU chips (when EVGA were expecting 1000), then they have a decision to make as to who gets a card and who doesn't. They'll have to redistribute the cards somehow, meaning that someone somewhere has to lose out, or everyone takes a hit of the same percentage - or some other mix. Nvidia are kind of out of the loop at this stage - it's an internal EVGA decision. Sure they (Nvidia) might be the root cause of the shortage, but it's up to EVGA to distribute the cards as they see fit. 

As you would expect, companies tend to nurture and respect the B2B allocations as much as they can - with good reason. They generate the bulk of profits, and good luck to them. I want them to make as much as they can. It's in my best interest that EVGA makes a nice profit. 

Where it gets interesting is what EVGA have done here for their preorder queue. Which I applaud btw -  just in case someone berates me for being negative :-) Now in some respects, they've just putting a "queue" on top of the channel which they already had setup (6 months ago) for their own website. As in when the cards come out, we'll divert 5% of our inventory to the NA evga.com site, and 2% to eu.evga.com , etc. What the spreadsheets have done for me, is to give some insight (probably what EVGA didn't want) into those allocations and I would probably guess they never envisioned that the community would reverse engineer things like they did. The community is to be applauded also for that. 

Course, it's a complex space, many variables (some visible, some not), but I'd actually be hugely optimistic that the situation could be improved with minimal communications, and nothing that would give away the state secrets :-) 

ao1977 was spot on the whole situation, retailers are basically enforcing their contracts as if the pandemic didn't exist, to make things even better they are raising the prices

THEN there is another situation you have missed, actual GPU alocation. Let's take the 3090 GPU as an example, the 3090 is used on the 3 XC3  variants and the 2 FTW3 variants, PLUS it's also used on 5 Hybrid variants (this includes the K|ng P|ng). That's 10 SKUs for ONE chip that we keep hearing needs to be perfect out of the factory. The 3080? 9 SKUs for 1 chip. There is a lot of pressure on the production side, and some signs point to EVGA not having enough chips to have all SKUs under production simultaneously.
267D83BD9674497
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/10 12:03:10 (permalink)
BovineGamer
retailers are basically enforcing their contracts

Not only that, but if those contracts are somewhere close to those I know from other business areas, they are secret. Meaning: Neither board partners nor retailers must know the numbers (both units and prices) their competitors negotiated with their respective suppliers. If one party broke the silence, everyone else would do the math, eventually notice their contract was worse and the whole construct would blow up, ending in court.

Like:
ASUS: "We're still waiting for some 10k GPUs from nVivia  …"
EVGA: "Wait, what? nVidia told us we could not have more than 5k!"
nVidia: "Ooops."
AMD: "LOL"

At least for me that's the most obvious explanation why almost everyone refuses to tell nominal and actual numbers.

(Just kidding; AMD better won't LOL at all. )
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/10 12:52:04 (permalink)
Actually the 3080's use the same chip in the 3090's but failed to meet the standards required for the 3090's, so it's actually worse than you commented Bovine as all the 3080 & 3090 (15+ skus?) use the same chip....and if the yields are lower than originally expect that hurts, but yeah it's a good point that the larger number of skus dilute the channels - and why it's a good idea to sign up for multiple cards in the queue, even if you only want 1x card. This is part of the reason I suspect why the 3080Ti was postponed as it would dilute even further that capacity, and add more demand to an already overwhelmed production chain. 

Ach, it's hard to understand the thoughts about retailers "enforcing contracts" though. EVGA can't give them stuff they don't have. If EVGA wanted 10,000 GPU's from Nvidia and only 5,000 arrive, then Amazon newegg and shout all they want "Ohh, but i have a contract!!"....EVGA can't materialize 5,000 cards out of their butt and give it to them. What are Amazon going to do, sue EVGA for products they don't have? Bear in mind EVGA want to give everyone products! The only thing EVGA can do is "Rob Peter to pay Paul" i.e. go back to how they distribute the products across the channels internally - and that is what I'm saying above, the allocations being seen on the queues are rubbish. I get it. I understand why, but let's call a spade a spade. Why even have a queue if you can't put anything into it?

But the main issue in all this goes back to lack of information. It could mostly be solved by EVGA (don't laugh!) going the extra mile and issuing a press release once a month with respect to the production capacity, or whenever there is a significant change in the landscape. it would waylay much of the frustration in this space - because people simply don't know.  Right now, some of us hear things via JaysTwoCents, or GamerNexus, or maybe you see something on a reddit forum - but really this information should be delivered at source right here on the website. You don't even have to mention super specifics, like number of cards or queue duration. E.g. 

PRODUCTION UPDATE : 10/2/21
Hi everyone. As you can appreciate, things continue to be difficult in the Graphics card environment. Our production capacity was increased in January by nearly a third, and we're shortly to start to see that increased capacity hit the channels. Most likely this will happen sometime towards then end of February/early March with. Logistics and distribution of the cards continues to be an area that we are working on improving, especially for our customers in Europe where we have to ship by air many of the cards due to reduced shipping availability. We are in negotiations with carriers here and will update the forums within a few weeks. Hold strong guys - we are aware of it and have a plan!
Chinese new year will not have a significant impact on things and cards will continue to flow as normal during this period for all locales. 
For those of you waiting on water cooled/hybrid systems! Good news! There is a large drop of that in the works and you should see this within the next 3-5 weeks

We do believe that things will start to improve dramatically in March, although as many of you can appreciate this is a dynamic situation so can't guarantee anything.
EVGA

Helpful news without going into the nitty-gritty of numbers, capacity, stuff that they won't/can't share. etc. People are mostly reasonable, and they realize tha they won't be able to get everything 100% right in these updates, but right now what we get is.... silence.....barring "here are todays drops", which while useful doesn't give much insight. Yeah, I'm sure plenty will mock this idea - and your entitled to that opinion. What I'm suggesting is a way to improve things. 

Maybe we need to write an "Open Letter to EVGA" or something. Yeah, they could ignore it, but maybe.....(just maybe) someone will do something, take it onboard and we all win. 

267D83BD9674497
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/10 14:18:49 (permalink)
alandoy
But the main issue in all this goes back to lack of information. It could mostly be solved by EVGA (don't laugh!) going the extra mile and issuing a press release once a month with respect to the production capacity, or whenever there is a significant change in the landscape. it would waylay much of the frustration in this space - because people simply don't know. 

I totally agree. The lack of information and honest communication is feeling even worse than the lack of supply, plus it doesn't match EVGA's reputation in terms of extraordinary customer service.
I think we're all grown up enough to accept the fact that knowing how bad the situation is won't get us any GPU sooner, but it's like those queue signs in amusement parks: "90 minutes from here – right in the burning midday sun, ****. But at least I can send the kids to get some snacks and drinks while I wait."

Like I stated above, I think there are reasons for the seemingly illogical silence. Maybe it's because of legal reasons, maybe there's an overly cautious marketing department. ("Jacob, if you tell the customers how long the queue really is, they will turn their backs on us!" – yeah, funny, but to whom instead?)

alandoy
Right now, some of us hear things via JaysTwoCents, or GamerNexus, or maybe you see something on a reddit forum - but really this information should be delivered at source right here on the website.

… with GN, J2C and HU even being the more reasonable sources on YouTube, while others annoy me on a daily basis with their utter useless "Leaks" about even more SKUs or even RDNA 3 and RTX 40 .
I guess those talking heads need a complete new channel theme once all SKUs are officially on the market and available.
BovineGamer
iCX Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/10 14:49:26 (permalink)
The only way for the mood to improve is for drops to happen and people report back.

As for the rest, I will leave here a very sane post on the NA, where people have been facing frustration as well.

As good as it is, one of the things that is so frustrating to everyone is all the "unknowns" with the queue system, right? Think about all the things we don't know:
We don't know how many people are in the queues.
We don't know how many people are ahead of us.
We don't know how many cards are allocated to the queues.
We don't know how many cards are coming or when they will arrive.
We don't know how many people get notifies and then don't make a purchase.
We don't know how many people get notifies and do make a purchase (unless they self-report it).
We don't know how many queue purchases end up directly on eBay.
The list goes on and on...
That is why it is sooo amazing that folks like enewt are able to literally stitch together little bits and pieces of information to at least provide some meaningful insight. A fantastic effort to at least help give us an idea of when we might get our chance to make a purchase. It's a tiny glimmer of hope they provide. So, thanks!

What would be helpful would be if EVGA could share some basic queue information aside from which products are being released to the queue on any given day. I mean, let's face it, they know exactly who is in the queue and what position they occupy (after all, it's their queue system!).

Clearly, they won't share that level of granularity for fear of their customer service group getting overrun with calls, but I'm sure they could share some meaningful information to help us out. For example, "as of this Friday, we have xxxx people in the SKU 3xxx queue, and to date, we've sold cards to yyyy of them." Not so specific that people could nit-pick the data, but at least something to show how things are progressing. That would be very cool, indeed.

To sleep, perchance to dream....

micfogas
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/10 15:54:08 (permalink)
Feuer_Psycho
Our engineers came up with a fantastic idea! With the 4000 series release we'll introduce "alandoy  Editions" cards with extra coil whine."

😂😂😂😂😂 extra coil whine 😂😂😂😂 this made my day
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/10 16:06:05 (permalink)
Feuer_Psycho
Our engineers came up with a fantastic idea! With the 4000 series release we'll introduce "alandoy  Editions" cards with extra coil whine."

Perhaps if you invested your time and energy into more positive pursuits than going around insulting people, the community might benefit?  
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/10 16:13:48 (permalink)
BovineGamer

Clearly, they won't share that level of granularity for fear of their customer service group getting overrun with calls, but I'm sure they could share some meaningful information to help us out. For example, "as of this Friday, we have xxxx people in the SKU 3xxx queue, and to date, we've sold cards to yyyy of them." Not so specific that people could nit-pick the data, but at least something to show how things are progressing. That would be very cool, indeed.

To sleep, perchance to dream....

"as of this Friday, we have xxxx people in the SKU 3xxx queue, and to date, we've sold cards to yyyy of them."
I'm not even asking for that level of granularity. In fact I can think of some very good logical reasons myself why they might not want to share that, such as for example these companies have to publish earning reports and people can sort of deduce profit margins and things like that if the know the number of cards sold. 

No, I'm suggesting a much much more basic (and I think achievable) thing. Fortnightly/monthly status reports which they can inform the populous broad level items. 
  • Shipping availability to locales. Are there any delays to say Europe, or over sea shipping containers undocking. 
  • When to expect drops for some unusual cards. For example, if I'm waiting for a hybrid hydro card (I'm not) while it won't get me my card quicker, if I know I'm going to see no action for 3-4 weeks, then I think i'd feel better knowing. That's just honest and transparent right?
Feuer_Psycho
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/10 19:43:14 (permalink)
Most companies won't give away any concrete data unless it's a shareholders report, for PR reasons (e.g we gave x number of product away to people in need) or they are forced by law. Any compromisable bit of data however vague it might be could create a wildfire of rumors and articles leading to a PR disaster.
I remember the Diablo Immortal thing a few years back. The announcement was bad the lack of information about Diablo 4 even worse but someone claiming a source told them about plans to announce Diablo 4 was the real disaster.

Plus us in the forums may be calm, considerate and more or less sane...but a lot of people would lose all hope. Information only suggesting they MAY get a card as late as September could  lead to erratic behavior: leaving queues, buying another product and so on.

I watched an EVGA twitch stream yesterday Jacob presented some new items and answered questions from chat. Someone brought the graphics cards topic up with chat slowly focusing on it. Seeing how he went silent for a second to find an answer in this impossible situation. I'm sure if anyone would think it's a good idea to give us these informations they would have already done it. 
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/11 03:21:58 (permalink)
100% agree with you Feuer, that any concrete information like "we shipped x cards in January", or "6 months left on the FTW3" would generally be a bad thing for the company that published it, and indeed, perhaps even illegal. (essentially leaking insider trading info - that sort of thing) 

But the thing is, is that they have all the info about "burn down rates", "production quotas", "what's being produced when".....so while they can't, and shouldn't publish the queue info, they could at the very least give some general indications as to when to expect things. So far todate , silence essentially. that seems going too far the other way. It might easier to say nothing, but is it right?

If I was example waiting for a XC3 black card, good luck with that. Those puppies seem to be made out of "unobtanium". So is it better for your customer to sit patiently waiting on the queue for months and then never deliver (when they know this is going to happen) ..... or to be up front about the problem face it head on, give that information to your customers? I mean your're treating your loyal customers fairly and giving them all the info that they can. Right now, i believe that they could do more. 
Feuer_Psycho
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/11 13:06:47 (permalink)
I think it goes likes this : Nvidia receives wafers from their suppliers, fabricates whatever is possible with the given quality and splits the product between the AIBs.
 EVGA is the last link in the supply chain so I wouldn't be surprised if they only know what actually gets delivered after receiving the shipping manifest from Nvidia. 

One last thing that just came to mind. With chinese new year around the corner they numbers will go down even more because nobody is working for two weeks. During normal times companies would produce in advance but with the pandemic around ...well.
kanth1991
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/12 02:45:46 (permalink)
Heya all ,  so last update has been 3 weeks ago ? 

Any news ?

alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/12 06:07:00 (permalink)
Hey kanth1991 - welcome to the forums!

BovineGamer usually publishes regular enough updates when he had any significant movement to share. He's pretty good at updating everyone, and I know he's been on the forums (he posted recently some comment)......so I fear that there's been no movement in the queues to speak of or he'd have mentioned. Hopefully I'm wrong on that, but i fear the worst there. 
BovineGamer
iCX Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/12 09:32:41 (permalink)
kanth1991
Heya all ,  so last update has been 3 weeks ago ? 

Any news ?

No movement yet, (but I have not finished my daily round).
However we do have a bit of campfire now, feel free to join the conversation while we try to figure out where our stock is hidden.
kanth1991
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/12 17:32:03 (permalink)
BovineGamer

No movement yet, (but I have not finished my daily round).
However we do have a bit of campfire now, feel free to join the conversation while we try to figure out where our stock is hidden.

Thats sad, im on 15/10/2020 for the 3090 FTW3
and on 22/09/2020 for the 3080.

I Saw movement and sold my 2080ti XC hahahahah
post edited by kanth1991 - 2021/02/13 01:29:11
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/12 18:30:51 (permalink)
You sure about those dates? The 22/09/2020 for the 3090 FTW3 looks potentially a problem. Have a look in Bovine's Spreadsheet
EU EVGA RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080 and 3090 Notify List - Google Drive

Even though there has been a pitiful number of cards shipped in Europe, assuming it's a FIFO (first in first out) queue, and I should say everything we've seen points to that it is......you should have received a notification from EVGA that your position in the queue is due and you could order, at least for the 3090 anyway. Two possible reasons I can think of, there might be some other reason ? 
1. You somehow missed the email (perhaps it went into your "junk" folder)
2. You signed up somehow to the North American queue. 
kanth1991
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/13 01:28:33 (permalink)
Im sorry i confused the cards, its just the opposite, 3080 is for 22/09/2020 and 3090 for 15/10/2020
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/15 09:34:53 (permalink)
kanth1991
Im sorry i confused the cards, its just the opposite, 3080 is for 22/09/2020 and 3090 for 15/10/2020

Ahh, thought there might be something up there. Good stuff that you know the reason!
Sadly, you might have sold your 2080Ti a little early. While many of disagree here as to the reasons why (and that's OK! :-) ..... we have consistent historical data to say that we've seen very little traction for whatever reason on all the queues. Some of them receiving zero movement. Like forever. 

On the plus side for you, the FTW3 cards do seem to be the quickest moving though, but I guess that's a relative viewpoint. 
Hopefully this week will show give us a huge uptick and it will rain cards from "the GPU God" above :-) 
kanth1991
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/15 12:14:59 (permalink)
Im Just really into ditching Nvidia for the first time.
The only reason i don't is that i don't know what waterblocks they get etc
magnusfl
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 112
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/15 13:50:03 (permalink)
The same thing that going on all around the world which is the worst silicon shortage we ever seen so the demand as shot up as silicon chips are in almost everything from new toaster and frigs   all the way to cars  which radially increased demand so this problem will fixed but no ware soon  as they need to build new semiconductor fab plant is nether cheep or quick to build.

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 45 of 88
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile