What's going on with EU and 3080's?

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 88
Author
alandoy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 159
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/03 07:53:18 (permalink)

I've said this before, no matter how you slice it/dice it, there is something very much "wrong" with the EU queue (at least for the 3090 FTW) when you compare it to our NA counterparts. 100% positive. 
Similar size demographics (300m people), you'd imagine roughly the same % of the populous want these cards in both domains. 

North American queue time:  Oct 10th (and moving roughly 1 day per drop) 
Europe :                              Sept 25th (and hasn't budged off that in 10 days) 

So we are either 
a) not getting as frequent drops as our North American cousins
b) the drops we are getting are not as large, which explains why out queue moves *substantially* slower. 

Either way, it's pretty sad the progress....<sigh> 
Feuer_Psycho
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/03 08:47:51 (permalink)
Well it's not really a secret not every company treats foreign markets the same. Stuff like moderated multilingual, multiregional forums comes to mind.

If the local market is big enough why prefer one you personal have no connection too. I said it before one shouldn't expect for "drops" to speed up till the NA queues are done/on same day processing. 

alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/03 10:08:10 (permalink)
Feuer_Psycho
If the local market is big enough why prefer one you personal have no connection too. I said it before one shouldn't expect for "drops" to speed up till the NA queues are done/on same day processing. 

You may turn out to be correct on that Feuer. 

Someone somewhere is defining what that "local" is. The chips are manufactured in Korea, the cards are assembled and shipped from Taiwan, and from there directly to the end user in the case of Europe and in the case of NA, to a further centralized distribution point in the US. 

Ultimately, it just seems that the NA market is getting a disproportional amount of cards to us in EU.  It could be that our NA friends just "shout louder" than we do.....so someone has decided that they can allocate a lower stock stream to EU as they can get away with doing that. 
I'd hope that isn't the case, but sadly it looks that way. 

With a date of Sept 25th in the North American queue, I'd have had a card 2+ months ago. :-( 

BovineGamer
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 393
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/03 10:29:39 (permalink)
An heads-up for the lurkers here..

Notifies for these cards seem to have been disabled in the EU site:

24G-P5-3971-KR (3090 XC3 BLACK GAMING)
24G-P5-3973-KR (RTX 3090 XC3 GAMING)
10G-P5-3895-KR (RTX 3080 FTW3 GAMING)
Nada1
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/03 10:43:49 (permalink)
I'm a bit worried as well..soon we're hitting 150 days from launch day queue for 3080 FTW ULTRA. And we have made somewhat of 40 minutes of progress.

Are you feeling lucky? 

red_zary
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/03 11:25:48 (permalink)
according to the spreadsheet, last sku 3897 was send 9/17/2020 7:37:04 AM. I took a look at a queue, and it looks like next entry is mine. 9:06 am... I guess we won't see any movement in that sku for a long time cause there are probably hundreds of ppl ahead of me that didn't add their entry.  

5900x ft. NH-d15 || asus x570-e
32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 32GTZN dr b-die 
1080ti ftw3 || Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1k || CM h500m 
970 evo 1TB, 2x 870 qvo 1TB, 2x Iron Wolf 4TB
Feuer_Psycho
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/03 15:10:47 (permalink)
alandoy
 Someone somewhere is defining what that "local" is. The chips are manufactured in Korea, the cards are assembled and shipped from Taiwan, and from there directly to the end user in the case of Europe and in the case of NA, to a further centralized distribution point in the US. 
 Ultimately, it just seems that the NA market is getting a disproportional amount of cards to us in EU.  It could be that our NA friends just "shout louder" than we do.....so someone has decided that they can allocate a lower stock stream to EU as they can get away with doing that. 

Well given the EVGA headquarters are located in Brea, California. I assume they would call themself a US company making their main market NA. 
alandoy
as they can get away with doing that. 

No need to "get away" with something. Even if the "mighty" EU thinks everyone needs to take it serious with all it's laws there is evidence the rest of the world doesn't really care. Best example is all the vaccine stuff right now.  
So just because we are 300M people doesn't automatically make us important. 
HNZZZ
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/04 04:20:26 (permalink)
At this point I am not expecting or hoping anything anymore. Pointless to worry about stock and demand. Also which market EVGA company prefers or not. 
If the company values all customers then my notification will come. Even if it is in the year 2022 or 2023.

It is ridiculous to even think like that but what is the point even at this point. In my region the retail stores are selling 3080's around 1300€ and up.... 
And the trend for the past months has been that the prices are only going up. My opinion on the reason is because of crypto mining and the crypto currency right now skyrocketing. The demand is so high and miners are willing to pay that top money for the graphics cards It may be false, maybe not, time will tell.
I am not willing to pay more what prices we have on EVGA store at the moment. That is the closest to MSRP we have at the moment on the market.

I am past the point on upgrading my computer set up completely. I am slowly giving up on this DIY computer building community because it is so taxing on my wallet and there are better ways to spend top dollar/euros what I earn.
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 05:09:13 (permalink)
Yeah, sadly I fear you hit the nail on the head mostly above HNZZZ. 
Just thought that it'd be nice that a large multi-national company would fairly distribute the limited cards that they have and not "play favourites" with one market over another, or miners verses gamers. I don't see the NA queues should be blessed with more volume any more than the EU queues should be (even though we'd benefit). Just would like a nice level playing field - is that too much to ask for?! That we're all in this together and that we'd fairly distribute the cards. The fact that we even have a separate queue for EU over NA seems odd when you think about it. What logical process does it serve? Yeah, Ok they are shipped from Taiwan directly to Europe, i get that....but then just have a "SQL select were EU = True" or something. There should be one worldwide queue for all EVGA customers. 

I'm actually in the fortunate position that I could afford to purchase a card via "alternative channels", i.e. a scapler, but I stone cold refuse to propagate that industry. If nobody bought from them, then we'd be paying MSRP for everything. I can't fault someone individual getting a card and then floggin' it on for a little profit - that's ok, but it's the scalpers grabbing cards via bots large scale and then making a desperate situation worse. Grr. Makes my blood pressure go up!

I do however (strangely) have an optimistic outlook for Feb in general. More so than I've had in the past. We're seeing movement, production is up. cards are making it out....

Feuer_Psycho
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 07:48:48 (permalink)
HNZZZ I totally get you. In September I was thinking "oh the new 3000s are coming it's time to move on from my semibroken rig after so many years. This will be done easily before xmas right to play this new Cyberpunk game". I'm on the same boat with the MSRP. I look at the prices and think "Wow all the money I throw down a scalpers throat I can buy 1-2 extra deep storage drives for my new rig." 

About  "play favourites" and "blessed with more volume". If you take a quick look at the number of contributions for both notify lists (EU&NA)  you'll see about 10k just for 3070/3080/3090 in NA. We have about 500 for all 4 card types. 
I assume the % of people motivated to contribute their data is about the same in the EU and NA. So we  may have about 20 times more customers in NA. 
And the separate queues is easily explained. 1 for NA incl. Vats only few people outside the USA are a customs problem. and 1 queue for 27 countries in the EU with 27 different Tax & Customs laws. 

Now look at me ranting around just because I have a lengthy political discussion with a friend in another chat. Better start to think about the good things summer may bring
guyvandeberb
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 07:53:33 (permalink)
alandoy, you paid a scalper , that makes you the problem. you and the rest of the masses. 

alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 08:14:07 (permalink)
guyvandeberb
alandoy, you paid a scalper , that makes you the problem. you and the rest of the masses. 

I'll chalk this down to perhaps English isn't your 1st language (?), but quiet the contrary guvandebarby......I said while I could afford it,  I "stone cold refuse" to pay any scalper any money as that just creates an industry which i don't want to see exist.  Again, if nobody bought cards from scalpers - there would thankfully be no scalpers as they would have no reason to scalp cards as they couldn't get a profit. To be clear  - I have not paid a scalper, nor will I and why I'm patiently here waiting.  

Feuer - I'd seriously (seriously!) doubt that there are 20x times more customers in NA than there are in Europe. You might have +/- 20%, maybe (?), but no way is it 20x. There are a lot of good explanations why this is the case - although hard to prove as we don't have the figures. 

• BovineGamer started his spreadsheet a good few weeks/months after the NA one was setup by Ennut, so there has been far more time to get people onto that NA list. This is especially true in the early weeks of us waiting where many many people got onto the NA spreadhseet. Hell I only saw there was an EU spreadsheet myself in December! 
  • English is the main language used on this (and the NA) forum and a spanish/german/etc speaking user (who doesn't understand english) simply won't know that there is a spreadsheet, so your filtering by language a little bit. Sure, there are plenty of Europeans who read and understand English (Scandanavians especially), but there's many who don't. 
Most of Europe is a 1st world country (even Ireland) and would have the same level/demograhics as the US. Education/gamer saturation/education/access to money to purchase. It'd be a stretch to see it much different from the US. 

guyvandeberb
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 08:24:10 (permalink)
My apologies alandoy, just tired of people complaining and then paying the scalpers.
Good job for not giving in.
Curious what nvidia and amd will learn from this, next gen 2k msrp 4080
BovineGamer
iCX Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 08:24:58 (permalink)
alandoy
guyvandeberb

I'll chalk this down to perhaps English isn't your 1st language (?), but quiet the contrary guvandebarby......I said while I could afford it,  I "stone cold refuse" to pay any scalper any money as that just creates an industry which i don't want to see exist.  Again, if nobody bought cards from scalpers - there would thankfully be no scalpers as they would have no reason to scalp cards as they couldn't get a profit. To be clear  - I have not paid a scalper, nor will I and why I'm patiently here waiting.  

Feuer - I'd seriously (seriously!) doubt that there are 20x times more customers in NA than there are in Europe. You might have +/- 20%, maybe (?), but no way is it 20x. There are a lot of good explanations why this is the case - although hard to prove as we don't have the figures. 

• BovineGamer started his spreadsheet a good few weeks/months after the NA one was setup by Ennut, so there has been far more time to get people onto that NA list. This is especially true in the early weeks of us waiting where many many people got onto the NA spreadhseet. Hell I only saw there was an EU spreadsheet myself in December! 
  • English is the main language used on this (and the NA) forum and a spanish/german/etc speaking user (who doesn't understand english) simply won't know that there is a spreadsheet, so your filtering by language a little bit. Sure, there are plenty of Europeans who read and understand English (Scandanavians especially), but there's many who don't. 
Most of Europe is a 1st world country (even Ireland) and would have the same level/demograhics as the US. Education/gamer saturation/education/access to money to purchase. It'd be a stretch to see it much different from the US. 

I believe there is actually big influx of eastern europeans on the queues, so language barrier IS a big issue.
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 08:45:47 (permalink)
Guyvandeberb - all good buddie, I know the feeling too!  

I looked it up since I posed earlier, and while it's only a generalization, EU population is 465 million and US and Canada is about 370 million. Yeah yeah, I know there's a lot to clarify there with what countries your classing in what region etc. Again, generalizing a little. All things being equal (% of population who are "gamers" etc), you'd actually expect more customers in Europe than North America. Course the spreadsheets don't reflect that - and that's ok. Plenty of reasons for that. 

Ultimately though, it doesn't really matter the actual number of customers in a region. Sure, it's an interesting number.....but if you have 10 million customers or 50 million, the queues should be moving at the same rate across regions. Naturally if you have more customers in one region, you allocate more cards to that region. That's fair - makes sense. But when i see that the NA queues are up to mid-october for some skus, and the EU queue is back in Sept, that smells "off" to me. It's been clear to me for weeks now that statistically the EU queues are very much lagging our NA brothers - and that isn't explained easily by anything other than the drops we're getting are not matching "pro-ratio" the size of the queue. 

A higher number of entries in the spreadsheet doesn't actually mean much - it's the distribution of those entries which really matters.  With the NA spreadsheet, we've got better granularity and can see when it moves. With the EU, you "might" be moving but due to the lower numbers you may not be detecting it, but when the overall progress is lagging ..... that's not right. 

Sorry to waffle on a bit - but you know.....I feel better for it :-)  
Feuer_Psycho
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 10:54:30 (permalink)
Ok sorry alandoy I tried to provide an explanation to ease your endless frustration. And I'm sorry I didn't look at the whole spreadsheet and didn't analyze them enough to back my claim. 

But here Is one thing a lot of US companies simply don't care. They look to europe to unload excess product, to open a new market once the local one is sated. And if someone decides it's way more profitable/interesting to sell their product in Bangladesh or India...guess what nothing for the EU. 
Just because a lot of the 465M people vote for parties promoting equality in one form or another that world doesn't change. 

Until there is an all seeing entity to enforce equality nobody needs to be "fair". Nobody needs to fear for customer to run away because no one else is pushing cards into the EU market at a reasonable rate . All we can do is say "pretty please" and "thank you" if hardware comes around. So cope with the idea about us being the last to see any kind of improvement. 
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 11:07:52 (permalink)
Eastern European here (Hello from Bulgaria!),

I think we all just got a bit too spoiled with this whole JIT (just in time) economy of things and just have the expectation that we can have whatever we want almost immediately. Having some exposure in logistics, I can tell you that since COVID lockdowns became a thing, passenger flights which were often used to carry cargo now carry much less because they don't fly at all. I saw a leak somewhere which showed how Apple pre-booked all available cargo capacity with most airlines, so that their products could ship relatively quickly and lo and behold - I ordered the iphone 12 on December 15 and received it from my local carrier on December 18....What you are seeing at retailers is not necessarily 100% scalping but the added cost of logistics, which sadly, on top of the ****ty USD to EUR conversion makes any item just way too expensive.

So we have a combination of crazy demand (since everyone is mostly staying at home and wants entertainment), production issues (COVID) & logistics issues (COVID) or in other words the perfect storm. I think that a lot of units will be/were shipped with the slow option (ships), so we should start seeing more and more units popping up here and there. Will it go back to normal soon, though? With these levels of demand, most probably not. Is it worth getting one at a high price? Up to you, really - I personally can afford any model at any price but simply don't think they provide the necessary value (would rather get a PS5 and a medium grade card than going 3080/3090).

So here I am stuck waiting on the EVGA queues (which I sadly got wind of in November) and waiting for a 3060 :) (really wanted a 3070 but don't want to wait too long). One good part of being an eastern european in your mid 30s is that you also remember the 90s where supply was limited and sometimes had to wait months for certain items to get restocked, so if anyone here wanted a taste of communism or post-communism, this is exactly what trying to buy something in demand looked like :) Stay strong, it's just a darn graphics card ;)

P.S. Too lazy to update sheets but will give you guys a heads up, if I ever get mine. I think I'm pretty close
12/6/2020 6:09:48 AM PTNo 12/6/2020 3:38:52 AM PT
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 11:13:32 (permalink)
Forgot to mention - the reason why the US typically gets more electronics than the EU is again....drum roll, please...logistics. Being a single country enables large retailers to pre-order huge quantities which makes shipping them at scale much easier. Now imagine the EU where a German retailer will order 10 000 units, Italian one will order 5000 units and so one and then you have Best Buy which pre-orders 1 million - guess, where most of these will go first and which country has way more cargo ships going back and forth to China ;) That's part of the reason why stuff is cheaper there as well - economies of scale and savings from shipping costs.

BovineGamer
iCX Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 12:32:36 (permalink)
There are also outstanding contracts, EVGA cannot simply shutdown supply to shops.
radkoX
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 13:24:28 (permalink)
Forgot to mention - the reason why the US typically gets more electronics than the EU is again....drum roll, please...logistics. Being a single country enables large retailers to pre-order huge quantities which makes shipping them at scale much easier. Now imagine the EU where a German retailer will order 10 000 units, Italian one will order 5000 units and so one and then you have Best Buy which pre-orders 1 million - guess, where most of these will go first and which country has way more cargo ships going back and forth to China ;) That's part of the reason why stuff is cheaper there as well - economies of scale and savings from shipping costs.

It maybe a true... but keep in mind that US as teritory is much larger than Europe - more than double. EU for anything that comes by sea uses mainly the Rotherdam port. So i dont think that is the problem. Even now if only lets say Caseking in Germany orders 1 milion units, believe they will be sold in a week.
Not to mention the diffrences in price as we in EU always more as one dollar is not equal to one euro. Just the recent years US was mighty and the market was strong and the companies target it first, but that changed last 10 years or so.
We can afford to pay 900 euro for 3080 FTW3, but for the americans the price to high ?!?! ****
Another Eastern Europian here ( Bulgaria ).
enewt
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11883
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 14:32:43 (permalink)
Sounds like for our folks in UK, Brexit is the next shoe from the centipede to drop on this Tech Launch Debacle 2020-2021™ (© NVIDIA 2020-2023).

https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gaming-hardware-brexit-impact/

"I think the [RTX] 3080 MSRP is going up. Soon, I think I'm seeing that announced, and the card that may be £700 at launch is going to be £750 soon. It's because the cost of the item is increasing. There are additional component costs, there's additional freight charge now. There will be other factors like exchange gain, or the dollar rate or the Euro value that affect everything as well. But ultimately, the price of that card will go up. And it might not be obvious to every consumer why. It might just look like the retailer might try to make a bit more margin, generally it's not."

Please use my Associate Code at your checkouts for up to 10% discounts on all your EVGA purchases: VDN2319M4O569J4

30 Series GPUs currently "in stock"
EVGA Queue Summary (North America)

BovineGamer
iCX Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 15:07:38 (permalink)
enewt
Sounds like for our folks in UK, Brexit is the next shoe from the centipede to drop on this Tech Launch Debacle 2020-2021™ (© NVIDIA 2020-2023).

https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gaming-hardware-brexit-impact/

"I think the [RTX] 3080 MSRP is going up. Soon, I think I'm seeing that announced, and the card that may be £700 at launch is going to be £750 soon. It's because the cost of the item is increasing. There are additional component costs, there's additional freight charge now. There will be other factors like exchange gain, or the dollar rate or the Euro value that affect everything as well. But ultimately, the price of that card will go up. And it might not be obvious to every consumer why. It might just look like the retailer might try to make a bit more margin, generally it's not."

Prices going up only helps the frustration, I found myself yesterday looking at a 3070 Zotac but I still have some sanity left.
wabbi
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 119
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/05 16:30:43 (permalink)
****ing EU queue is an actual joke at the moment. An entire week of no recorded movement, so probably no - low actual movement. Think I'm going to compromise for an ASUS card. Seen those dropping left and right at (r)etailers in my region.
BovineGamer
iCX Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/06 10:15:12 (permalink)
wabbi
****ing EU queue is an actual joke at the moment. An entire week of no recorded movement, so probably no - low actual movement. Think I'm going to compromise for an ASUS card. Seen those dropping left and right at (r)etailers in my region.

I can do nothing but sympathize. I really wanted a 3080 for the 4K sweetspot-do-not-break-your-bank-much but I have started to look at 3070's now, the only reason I have not pulled that trigger yet is because they are not very good in quality (a certain Z brand) and priced at the same range I would pay for the EVGA 3080 WITH the new price.
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/07 13:58:12 (permalink)
I've been saying it for weeks, statistically the EU queues are "broken" with respect to getting cards through the pipe. I don't buy into the "logistics" argument either about Europe being more difficult that the US. Sure, you might be able to deal with "multi-state" chains like B&H etc, but the EU has many similar huge front end stores  for example Amazon, who have a french site, German site, etc. In fact, there's even an argument that logistics is easier once you get into Europe than it is stateside. The USA is big. Very big. Moving cards from the east coast to the west cost is a substantial distance. Once your in the EU, with the "free trade" agreements, goods are able to move country freely (sorry England - your out of the club now!). It's probably easier to distribute cards from a central drop in the Netherlands outwards with the much smaller distances involved than it is from SanDiego to the keys in Florida (for example).....but it's sort of a moot point. 

Ultimately the queues should be moving roughly the same across all locales. The fact that they are not raises eyebrows with me. It smells of "favoritism" - and something that (I'd have hoped) EVGA would be above. Similarly, the debate that "Ohh they have contracts in place with shops" - doesn't ring true with me. The reason being is that while the statement is 100% true, it also true across all domains. EVGA also have contracts in place with NA retailers - so the challenges there (in North America) seem solved ..... but not in EU ?!

Nope - something "very rotten in the state of Denmark" to quote Shakespeare. 

One thing that I'd like to comment on when I hear people saying...
     "ohh but they are maximizing profit by doing x or y!! - taking advantage of the situation"
People need to re-appraise their thing around that. It's actually in ours (and EVGA's) best interest that EVGA make money. Yes, that's right you WANT them to make money! I know it sounds odd. ideally not oodles and oodles of money, but if they aren't making money, then they won't be in the game for long and then we as consumers have less choice. So we want/need them to make a profit. Sure - not a massive one at yours or my expense, but hopefully large enough to keep them around. :-) .... and fair play to them. 
BovineGamer
iCX Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/07 16:00:26 (permalink)
alandoy
I've been saying it for weeks, statistically the EU queues are "broken" with respect to getting cards through the pipe. I don't buy into the "logistics" argument either about Europe being more difficult that the US. Sure, you might be able to deal with "multi-state" chains like B&H etc, but the EU has many similar huge front end stores  for example Amazon, who have a french site, German site, etc. In fact, there's even an argument that logistics is easier once you get into Europe than it is stateside. The USA is big. Very big. Moving cards from the east coast to the west cost is a substantial distance. Once your in the EU, with the "free trade" agreements, goods are able to move country freely (sorry England - your out of the club now!). It's probably easier to distribute cards from a central drop in the Netherlands outwards with the much smaller distances involved than it is from SanDiego to the keys in Florida (for example).....but it's sort of a moot point. 

Ultimately the queues should be moving roughly the same across all locales. The fact that they are not raises eyebrows with me. It smells of "favoritism" - and something that (I'd have hoped) EVGA would be above. Similarly, the debate that "Ohh they have contracts in place with shops" - doesn't ring true with me. The reason being is that while the statement is 100% true, it also true across all domains. EVGA also have contracts in place with NA retailers - so the challenges there (in North America) seem solved ..... but not in EU ?!

Nope - something "very rotten in the state of Denmark" to quote Shakespeare. 

One thing that I'd like to comment on when I hear people saying...
     "ohh but they are maximizing profit by doing x or y!! - taking advantage of the situation"
People need to re-appraise their thing around that. It's actually in ours (and EVGA's) best interest that EVGA make money. Yes, that's right you WANT them to make money! I know it sounds odd. ideally not oodles and oodles of money, but if they aren't making money, then they won't be in the game for long and then we as consumers have less choice. So we want/need them to make a profit. Sure - not a massive one at yours or my expense, but hopefully large enough to keep them around. :-) .... and fair play to them. 

It's been bad for both sides, the NA queues slowed down as well. There is also the detail that the european queues also opened later than the american ones, so they would never run paralel. As for retailers, yes some do list stock but not many actually have them, so beware of stores "never going out", make sure you are not paying for something that will take weeks to arrive.

I have been trying to caution about atempts at finding a pattern when it's clear there is none, cards are being delivered as they are produced and outstanding contracts allow. Waiting times are long and until the queues speed up there is nothing we can do to make those go faster. EVGA would certainly like to make as much money as possible but there is simply not enough matterials to produce the necessary components. Nvidia has reportedly delayed the 3080 Ti and EVGA has officially delayed the Hydro Coppers, it's that bad, there is no conspiracy to keep cards away from europe.

You are also underestimating the negative impact Covid has in logistics, a lot of countries closed their borders and cargo capacity is more limited.
post edited by BovineGamer - 2021/02/07 16:02:45
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/07 16:50:46 (permalink)
BovineGamer

It's been bad for both sides, the NA queues slowed down as well. There is also the detail that the European queues also opened later than the American ones, so they would never run paralel. As for retailers, yes some do list stock but not many actually have them, so beware of stores "never going out", make sure you are not paying for something that will take weeks to arrive.

I have been trying to caution about atempts at finding a pattern when it's clear there is none, cards are being delivered as they are produced and outstanding contracts allow. Waiting times are long and until the queues speed up there is nothing we can do to make those go faster. EVGA would certainly like to make as much money as possible but there is simply not enough matterials to produce the necessary components. Nvidia has reportedly delayed the 3080 Ti and EVGA has officially delayed the Hydro Coppers, it's that bad, there is no conspiracy to keep cards away from europe.

You are also underestimating the negative impact Covid has in logistics, a lot of countries closed their borders and cargo capacity is more limited.

It's not entirely true that the European queues started later than the US. Yes, it took some time for the buttons to appear on the EU site, but I joined the US queue and my account had the correct entry. Maybe they migrated it behind the scenes? Dunno - but if it happened for me, it happened for others I'm sure. 
I wouldn't go as far as to use the word "conspiracy" as that conjures up a deliberate malevolence on behalf of a party or parties - and I don't think that is the case here. No my thinking is more benign and that someone had f'ed up somewhere and has either set the NA allocation too high, or the EU too low accidentally. 

Covid logistics and that I'm underestimating the effect? Maybe. But again, I'm not arguing/debating that there wasn't an effect on production (there was, I'm sure!), but rather, that I'm wondering what seemingly is so different with respect of NA and EU. Countries have restricted travel (for people), but yet that really hasn't materialized into cargo drop.

Now, before you say it.... a lot of cargo gets transported in "passenger" jets, as in aircraft who's main purpose is to move people - so if you have travel restrictions, therefore you don't have the jets (carrying passengers).... then there's a shortage of space for cargo on routes. However, a lot of airlines took that slack up by retrofitting planes to carry solely cargo, so AFAIK there's no general shortage of available space for cargo on ships/aircraft. If you want something shipped by air/ship, it's available. 

Nahh, something broken there.....sadly. However, as I mentioned previously I'm somewhat more optimistic lately for some reason. 
Trinity99
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/08 00:27:20 (permalink)
Well I waited half a year, hoping at the end of each month that the wait is almost over, but couldn't do it any longer. I got an rx 6800 xt. It's a good card, roughly equal to the 3080. And in 10 years when the queue is at my name, I'll just buy and probably gift away one of the cards. It really sucks that in my country (and prob. most eastern europians) there are no scalpers, the shops themselves are the ones selling the cards for twice or even more. And the really sad things is that ppl buy them anyway.
alandoy
Superclocked Member
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/08 04:57:10 (permalink)
Yeah AMD have come up with some good cards there, the 6800xt being no exception. I've always been of the opinion that hardware wise AMD are pretty much on par with Nvidia, probably better truth be told on a "value equation", as in they are better value for the same money. Personally I never buy AMD, but that's down to "pig-headedness" on my part. About 10 years ago, AMD tortured me with some game or other I wanted to play (Bad Company 2, I think?!). Kept blue screening the game. Card was (hardware wise) fine, but the driver was poor - all my buddies on Nvidia rocking away fine as my blood pressure rose!  Eventually driver update came out 3-4 weeks and solved the issue. Swore to myself back then I'd never buy a AMD card again - and haven't since. Yeah, I know....I did say I'm pig headed :-) 

Lack of Scalpers in Eastern Europe: LOL! Don't know if i should say that's a good thing or bad thing, lets err on the side that it's a good thing. We shouldn't applaud the fact that someone preys on the situation  - but it sucks that legitimate retailers are profiteering on the lack of cards. 

Enjoy the card man - hope it gives you many years of enjoyment! 
Trinity99
Re: What's going on with EU and 3080's? 2021/02/08 05:03:51 (permalink)
alandoy
Yeah AMD have come up with some good cards there, the 6800xt being no exception. I've always been of the opinion that hardware wise AMD are pretty much on par with Nvidia, probably better truth be told on a "value equation", as in they are better value for the same money. Personally I never buy AMD, but that's down to "pig-headedness" on my part. About 10 years ago, AMD tortured me with some game or other I wanted to play (Bad Company 2, I think?!). Kept blue screening the game. Card was (hardware wise) fine, but the driver was poor - all my buddies on Nvidia rocking away fine as my blood pressure rose!  Eventually driver update came out 3-4 weeks and solved the issue. Swore to myself back then I'd never buy a AMD card again - and haven't since. Yeah, I know....I did say I'm pig headed :-) 

Lack of Scalpers in Eastern Europe: LOL! Don't know if i should say that's a good thing or bad thing, lets err on the side that it's a good thing. We shouldn't applaud the fact that someone preys on the situation  - but it sucks that legitimate retailers are profiteering on the lack of cards. 

Enjoy the card man - hope it gives you many years of enjoyment! 

Thanks will do. I was/am the same I always had an Nvidia card, never even looked at AMD, but in this "special" time it's a must, at least untill I get my hands on an Nvidia card. And idk maybe the rx will proove such a good one that I keep it.

As for the scalpers. In my opinion it's a bad thing. I can get that some individuals want to profit off selling cards, but legitimate shops who make alot of money already jumping on the scalping wagon is something inherently wrong.
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 88
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile