Helpful ReplyWARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Author
Thoth42
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 216
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/10 22:30:18 (permalink)
More hours of BF3....still no issues that aren't inherent to the game engine.

Update: Played the rest of the evening. Unchanged still no problems.  A few members of Overclock.net reported Maniacs fix worked for them regarding BF3.
post edited by Thoth42 - 2013/06/11 04:31:10

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Military Green
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI HERO Z87
CPU: Haswell i5 4670k
GPU: EVGA Reference GeForce GTX 780 3GB Reference
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB)  1600
PSU: Be Quiet! 1000 watt Dark Power Pro 
Cooling: CORSAIR H100i 
Boot Drive: SAMSUNG 840 Pro 512GB 
Storage Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Display: BenQ XL Series XL2420TE 24" 144hz
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx
Comms: Sennheiser PC 310

enigma96
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 367
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 05:55:57 (permalink)
I did a complete format this weekend. Since using the new 320.18 drivers on my GTX 770 I have the following:

1. 3 times my computer has rebooted out of the blue.
2. 3-4 times when I turn my computer on I get no display.

Is this related to the new drivers as well?

Intel I7 4790
16GB Corsair
Evga Gtx 780 Ftw
Msi Z97 5                                                  
Samsung 840 Pro
Corsair Ax760
Asus PB278Q
Fractal R4
maskedmenace
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 377
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 06:12:10 (permalink)
maniacvvv

Ridiculous! 

While there certainly may be users have issues with this driver, it NOT killing anyones GPU 

What we are seeing here is NVIDIA DRIVER INSTALL ERRORS  
If you read the first link, the recovery posted is not only the stupidest driver uninstall procedure, it is of course completely WRONG. The author appears to know NOTHING about correctly Uninstalling Nvidia drivers,  correct Nvidia driver install method and Windows 8 behavior.  

Wake up people 
You DO NOT use a -default- Nvidia driver "EXPRESS" install -ever-   
These issues are being caused by users who have installed the GeForce Experience and/or are NOT correctly shutting down Precision and the RTSS service before installing drivers. 

People who use CORRECT procedure by shutting down Precision/Afterburner and the RTSS -AND- who did not install the GeForce Experience in the first place....  
-->are NOT REPORTING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL  -none-zero- 

Turn off Precision and the RTSS -before installing drivers- and ONLY use a CUSTOM Mode install with GeForce Experience and Nvidia Update UNCHECKED 
And always put a check mark in "Perform a clean install" 

Actually, I disagree with this.

Speaking from personal experience, I've written a driver that blew up people's GPU, while I was with Alienware -- Was a laptop driver so, I vehemently disagree that it's not possible to blow up a card via a driver...

I'm having major issues with the current driver...3 customer builds I built from scratch, yesterday, are having major issues with the current driver...Fresh installs of EVERYTHING including hardware -- No bueno.

Even took a fermi out of the closet, was never opened...Opened and installed -- I can actually see why some people are having issues. Fermi //WILL// have issues with the new drivers because of the stock profiles...Most of these cards are clocked stock, well beyond what they could do 24/7/365...That's a big issue.

The new driver is randomly taking the cards to full load and substituting a voltage profile that was NOT EVER meant for Fermi...Had the card up to 94c within 10 minutes of it's installation so, once again, vehemently disagree that it's not possible to cook a card via drivers.

My personal PC is tri-sli 780's...Built it again practically from scratch on Thursday of last week. Almost 100% new hardware, only component re-used was my binned 3930k. ~ I'm having MASSIVE issues with the new driver to the extent that I can't even open a game without a BSOD...Can't run 3D mark, either.

I'm actually to the point of re-writing the Beta INF just so I can //USE// my computer for other purposes beyond gaming.

There are 2 facts I want to leave you with.

1) It IS possible to blow up a card with a driver -- Very possible...Just unlikely...However, now you have Fermi which runs an entirely different heat profile then any other Nvidia launch so -- That 94c? Without overclocking on a fresh windows install with new drivers -- It very much doubts your stance on ridiculousness. -- Entirely plausible.

2) This was a bad driver launch for an overwhelming amount of people that actually installed this driver, correctly...People on OCN, [H], Tom's and Nvidia are reporting that these drivers force cards into voltage profiles and then ramp to 100% even after the new bios -- That adds some credibility to the fact that there are certainly SOME individuals that could have real issues.

No two chips are //EVER// the same...Therefor no 2 situations are ever exactly alike -- One thing owning a business has taught me: Just because your build doesn't blow up -- Doesn't mean his won't.

Return of the Sith
Case-Labs STH10 Custom, Asus RIVE, Intel 3930k Oc'd 5.0ghz, Corsair Dominator 4x4 2133C9, 3x 780 Lightnings Tri-SLI, 2x Corsair AX1200i, 2x Intel Cherryville 240gb SSD's, 2x Caviar Black 1tb, 100% water ~ Heatkiller cooled.
ambassador_pineapple
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 06:29:43 (permalink)
Now that I think about it, I have had pretty much every single game crashing on me since I updated to 320.18.  I was thinking it is because of my 4.5GHz overclock on my CPU or even a mild overclock on my 570 Asus DCII.  This is starting to make sense.  I am about to go pickup my 780 from UPS center.  Can anyone tell me if I can just use 314.22 drivers with the 780?
Thoth42
Superclocked Member
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 06:37:14 (permalink)
ambassador_pineapple

Now that I think about it, I have had pretty much every single game crashing on me since I updated to 320.18.  I was thinking it is because of my 4.5GHz overclock on my CPU or even a mild overclock on my 570 Asus DCII.  This is starting to make sense.  I am about to go pickup my 780 from UPS center.  Can anyone tell me if I can just use 314.22 drivers with the 780?

Earlier in the post someone (Nite I believe) linked a way to change the .inf file on 314.22 to install them on the 780 and 770.

ambassador_pineapple
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 06:39:38 (permalink)
Ya.  Modifying the ini files right now.  Went back and saw the post.  Thanks for reminding me man.
Thoth42
Superclocked Member
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 07:19:34 (permalink)
ambassador_pineapple

Ya.  Modifying the ini files right now.  Went back and saw the post.  Thanks for reminding me man.

My pleasure. 

feniks
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3994
  • Ribbons : 38
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 07:49:27 (permalink)
does anybody know for sure if any problems coming from 320 WHQL were replicated in Custom Clean Install mode with only the driver itself and physx component and NOTHING else selected?

just a thought, I never had problem with that driver, but I am running 670 Kepler SLI, not Fermi.

I see zero issues on my end, not using 3D, HD audio, experience/updater thingy.

wmmills
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4688
  • Ribbons : 40
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 08:35:38 (permalink)
Well, I got my GTX780 installed last nite with no problems. Using 320.18 with it with no problems so far. When I unplugged and removed the old cards and put the 780 in I reset the cmos first, then booted, used default values which rebooted it, then went to safe mode and uninstalled the 314 driver, dug out the remnants with ccleaner and registry mechanic, then rebooted and went back to safe mode, made sure Afterburner wasn't running anywhere, and installed the 320.18 driver and then rebooted into normal windows. I ONLY installed the Graphics driver and the PhysX driver, thats it. Everything worked fine, so then I went back to putting my overclock on my cpu.So far so good. Ive never had a problem with drivers until that 320.00 beta driver. first time ive ever run into a real issue(s) like that. Is it rivatuners server overlay that's messing with the driver hooks etc... ?!?!? what is going on here and why has it turned into such a problem now?!? Anyway, thank you maniac for the heads up on this!!! \m/

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
feniks
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3994
  • Ribbons : 38
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 08:46:58 (permalink)
yeah,I forgot to mention, I always close Precision/AB completely during driver uninstall/install. perhaps that's what messes things up for people? or some 3D component of driver, as people are mostly complaining about those, I could imagine the rest installs the driver in plain mode with everything and has such broken component in system too? Geforce Experience would be prime suspect as it alters settings, the second one would be 3D stuff IMHO... and then we have precision/ab soft on top of that ...

martinezdavid2004
  • Total Posts : 68
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 09:07:41 (permalink)
I have the 320.18 installed and have had no problems, I followed the recommendations of maniacvvv and everything perfect

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 9897
  • Ribbons : 165
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 09:39:46 (permalink)
maskedmenace

maniacvvv

Ridiculous! 

While there certainly may be users have issues with this driver, it NOT killing anyones GPU 

What we are seeing here is NVIDIA DRIVER INSTALL ERRORS  
If you read the first link, the recovery posted is not only the stupidest driver uninstall procedure, it is of course completely WRONG. The author appears to know NOTHING about correctly Uninstalling Nvidia drivers,  correct Nvidia driver install method and Windows 8 behavior.  

Wake up people 
You DO NOT use a -default- Nvidia driver "EXPRESS" install -ever-   
These issues are being caused by users who have installed the GeForce Experience and/or are NOT correctly shutting down Precision and the RTSS service before installing drivers. 

People who use CORRECT procedure by shutting down Precision/Afterburner and the RTSS -AND- who did not install the GeForce Experience in the first place....  
-->are NOT REPORTING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL  -none-zero- 

Turn off Precision and the RTSS -before installing drivers- and ONLY use a CUSTOM Mode install with GeForce Experience and Nvidia Update UNCHECKED 
And always put a check mark in "Perform a clean install" 

Actually, I disagree with this.

Speaking from personal experience, I've written a driver that blew up people's GPU, while I was with Alienware -- Was a laptop driver so, I vehemently disagree that it's not possible to blow up a card via a driver...

I'm having major issues with the current driver...3 customer builds I built from scratch, yesterday, are having major issues with the current driver...Fresh installs of EVERYTHING including hardware -- No bueno.

Even took a fermi out of the closet, was never opened...Opened and installed -- I can actually see why some people are having issues. Fermi //WILL// have issues with the new drivers because of the stock profiles...Most of these cards are clocked stock, well beyond what they could do 24/7/365...That's a big issue.

The new driver is randomly taking the cards to full load and substituting a voltage profile that was NOT EVER meant for Fermi...Had the card up to 94c within 10 minutes of it's installation so, once again, vehemently disagree that it's not possible to cook a card via drivers.

My personal PC is tri-sli 780's...Built it again practically from scratch on Thursday of last week. Almost 100% new hardware, only component re-used was my binned 3930k. ~ I'm having MASSIVE issues with the new driver to the extent that I can't even open a game without a BSOD...Can't run 3D mark, either.

I'm actually to the point of re-writing the Beta INF just so I can //USE// my computer for other purposes beyond gaming.

There are 2 facts I want to leave you with.

1) It IS possible to blow up a card with a driver -- Very possible...Just unlikely...However, now you have Fermi which runs an entirely different heat profile then any other Nvidia launch so -- That 94c? Without overclocking on a fresh windows install with new drivers -- It very much doubts your stance on ridiculousness. -- Entirely plausible.

2) This was a bad driver launch for an overwhelming amount of people that actually installed this driver, correctly...People on OCN, [H], Tom's and Nvidia are reporting that these drivers force cards into voltage profiles and then ramp to 100% even after the new bios -- That adds some credibility to the fact that there are certainly SOME individuals that could have real issues.

No two chips are //EVER// the same...Therefor no 2 situations are ever exactly alike -- One thing owning a business has taught me: Just because your build doesn't blow up -- Doesn't mean his won't.

Everyone should know the rule with non manufacturer approved laptop drivers, due to laptop proprietary temp and power software ....
So I'll skip that

Quote:
"The new driver is randomly taking the cards to full load and substituting a voltage profile that was NOT EVER meant for Fermi...Had the card up to 94c within 10 minutes of it's installation so, once again, vehemently disagree that it's not possible to cook a card via drivers."

I believe you have Fermi and Kepler confused, but it doesnt really matter.
What does matter is that you (and others posting) do NOT have a single screenshot of -any- cards voltage running out of BIOS or Driver limitations.
If this "problem" is real, then where is the detailed testing and screenshots to prove it?
A incorrect voltage profile is about the easiest thing to screenshot and prove out during testing

Quote:
"My personal PC is tri-sli 780's...Built it again practically from scratch on Thursday of last week. Almost 100% new hardware, only component re-used was my binned 3930k. ~ I'm having MASSIVE issues with the new driver to the extent that I can't even open a game without a BSOD...Can't run 3D mark, either. "

So your NOT reporting this from a known working system, but a new build with new cards that has never worked correctly?
That speaks for itself
------------------------------------------------------------

I am completely OPEN to a probable issue, just not anything thats "killing" cards
The problem here is nobody whose experience I trust is reporting -any- of this....

If your cards are ramping in the fashion you posted, then a Bitcion virus would be the most likely source folllowed by either MB or installed monitoring software conflicts and/or any of the known issues when working with a new MB and new cards... 

-OR- you could document (with screenshots) this issue, and be a hero to users and Nvidia will pull the driver

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-320.18-whql-driver.html 

post edited by maniacvvv - 2013/06/11 09:57:17

KEVRAY
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 269
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 09:39:54 (permalink)
A couple of my games froze up on me like the ArmA3 alpha, to be expected i suppose being a wip game, Metro last light on some chapters at certain spots. Oddly, last night whilst playing Hitman Absolution i got a message pop up and tell me my system memory is running low, first time that's happened, maybe i have too many programs open?, i had Precision X plus RTSS and win 7 aero all running in the background and i'm using 8 gb ram, hmmm, strange goings on, this has only started to happen. This is with 320.11 from evga driver disc and 320.18 from GeForce.com, haha. I'm not sure if mine is due to heat problems though?, my GTX 780's get a bit hot really. Think i am regretting GTX780 SLI?.

Windows 10 64-bit. Maximus 8 Hero. i5-6600k @3.5-3.9GHz. 2X4GB 2133MHz. SSD. NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE. G-SYNC 1920x1080 144Hz. Scarlett 2i2. HX 1000i.
maskedmenace
iCX Member
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 10:20:29 (permalink)
Everyone should know the rule with non manufacturer approved laptop drivers, due to laptop proprietary temp and power software .... 
So I'll skip that

It doesn't change the fact that it has happened and has been documented as being possible. The M17x notably had this issue because we swapped profiles...When that swap was made, the OCP profiles were swapped and over-heated cards left and right -- So your assumption that this is "Ridiculous and impossible" is in fact, not true.

So, you're debating with a vendor that a system, with 100% fresh hardware, fresh windows and fresh, everything, shouldn't work on a brand new driver? Really now? Because that's exactly what you said: 

So your NOT reporting this from a known working system, but a new build with new cards that has never worked correctly? 
That speaks for itself

I'll be sure to inform the other vendors of their fallacy. How dare we system builders expect brand new hardware, new 780's and new everything to work on fresh installs...I never knew we could be so stupid! 

Oh wait, we as a whole, disagree with you.

LOL, this gets better after each rebuttle.

I do NOT have Kepler and Fermi confused because every single individual that uses this driver does not have to have the latest and greatest to benefit from it...You know, typically on a WHQL, that's where //everyone// updates, even those with older cards?

No 2 cores in the history of this business have ever been the same. That applies for everything and is an absolute FACT in this industry. What's that mean? 

Simple. Fermi was known for having heat issues because most of the cores were OC'd to actually run at stock speeds...In fact, most of the run was OC'd @ 10% so it could even reach stock speeds.

So what's that mean with new driver? You're taking a driver profile that's been PROVEN to hit 100% load with overvolting and now tossing a card that's already overworked into that equation -- As a system builder, one that builds about 100+ enthusiast builds a year, I don't need a screenshot to prove what's possible -- Common sense would dictate that SOMEONE with a Fermi in the very least has a blown card due to the overvolting of a card that's already at max trying to hit stock.

I don't know who highlighted your initial post but, whoever did, quite frankly hasn't worked in this industry long enough.

YOU stated it was impossible. I'm telling you, directly, unequivocally, you're WRONG. 

Drivers absolutely have the capability to overheat and overload a card to the point of no return and have done so in the past regardless of it being a laptop or a desktop...When combined with a core that's already OC'd to hit stock, you //WILL// have issues...Which Fermi cards, are now proving over and over again.
This has been a probable issue since the driver was released. Once again, no 2 cores are ever the same...Should keep that in mind. 

Return of the Sith
Case-Labs STH10 Custom, Asus RIVE, Intel 3930k Oc'd 5.0ghz, Corsair Dominator 4x4 2133C9, 3x 780 Lightnings Tri-SLI, 2x Corsair AX1200i, 2x Intel Cherryville 240gb SSD's, 2x Caviar Black 1tb, 100% water ~ Heatkiller cooled.
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 11:27:21 (permalink)
maskedmenace

So I'll skip that

It doesn't change the fact that it has happened and has been documented as being possible. The M17x notably had this issue because we swapped profiles...When that swap was made, the OCP profiles were swapped and over-heated cards left and right -- So your assumption that this is "Ridiculous and impossible" is in fact, not true.

So, you're debating with a vendor that a system, with 100% fresh hardware, fresh windows and fresh, everything, shouldn't work on a brand new driver? Really now? Because that's exactly what you said: 

That speaks for itself

I'll be sure to inform the other vendors of their fallacy. How dare we system builders expect brand new hardware, new 780's and new everything to work on fresh installs...I never knew we could be so stupid! 

Oh wait, we as a whole, disagree with you.

LOL, this gets better after each rebuttle.

I do NOT have Kepler and Fermi confused because every single individual that uses this driver does not have to have the latest and greatest to benefit from it...You know, typically on a WHQL, that's where //everyone// updates, even those with older cards?

No 2 cores in the history of this business have ever been the same. That applies for everything and is an absolute FACT in this industry. What's that mean? 

Simple. Fermi was known for having heat issues because most of the cores were OC'd to actually run at stock speeds...In fact, most of the run was OC'd @ 10% so it could even reach stock speeds.

So what's that mean with new driver? You're taking a driver profile that's been PROVEN to hit 100% load with overvolting and now tossing a card that's already overworked into that equation -- As a system builder, one that builds about 100+ enthusiast builds a year, I don't need a screenshot to prove what's possible -- Common sense would dictate that SOMEONE with a Fermi in the very least has a blown card due to the overvolting of a card that's already at max trying to hit stock.

I don't know who highlighted your initial post but, whoever did, quite frankly hasn't worked in this industry long enough.

YOU stated it was impossible. I'm telling you, directly, unequivocally, you're WRONG. 

Drivers absolutely have the capability to overheat and overload a card to the point of no return and have done so in the past regardless of it being a laptop or a desktop...When combined with a core that's already OC'd to hit stock, you //WILL// have issues...Which Fermi cards, are now proving over and over again.
This has been a probable issue since the driver was released. Once again, no 2 cores are ever the same...Should keep that in mind. 

LOLOLOL

I ran the 320.18 on Fermi cards since its release, both at stock and highly overclocked....
-->saw all of 1c difference (increase) from the previous driver, voltage behavior unchanged.
Thru testing in Heaven 4.0, Valley and Mark11... textbook standard runs, no issues seen
Got a good 30-40hrs of BF3 gameplay in on the driver, no issues seen

I just removed my 580 SLI and replaced it with Keplers
Same testing, same textbook standard runs and no issues seen.
I have been unable to get the cards to exceed 63c at stock with a 70c/85% fan profile     
Maybe 10hrs of BF3 now, no issues of any kind seen.

No unusual temps, no voltage spikes of anykind noted at all

------------------

Your telling me its happening to you, that you can see this on your own and other systems....
But you cant even provide a simple screenshot?

Yeah right bud.
If you cannot be bothered to post a screenshot, I dont think you are being honest and I certainly dont believe you have the experience levels you claim.
A monkey can build systems that run.... takes alittle more to be able to take screenshots and post real data

I -am- quite sure you are having a problem.... the question is what kind

If anyone who DOES have some real tangible proof of this behavior, I am very interested in seeing it.   

post edited by maniacvvv - 2013/06/11 11:53:03

maskedmenace
iCX Member
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 11:46:42 (permalink)
maniacvvvLOLOLOL

I ran the 320.18 on Fermi cards since its release, both at stock and highly overclocked....
-->saw all of 1c difference (increase) from the previous driver, voltage behavior unchanged.
Thru testing in Heaven 4.0, Valley and Mark11... textbook standard runs, no issues seen

Same testing, same textbook standard runs and no issues seen

------------------

Your telling me its happening to you, that you can see this on your own and other systems....

Yeah right bud.
If you cannot be bothered to post a screenshot, I dont think you are being honest and I certainly dont believe you have the experience levels you claim.
A monkey can build systems.... takes alittle more to be able to take screenshots and post real data

If anyone who DOES have some real tangible proof of this behavior, I am very interested in seeing it.   

Again, YOU stated it was impossible while acknowledging that drivers HAVE destroyed a card before. Period. Done. End.

I quite frankly, don't care about your setup. Just because YOU didn't see any performance issues, doesn't mean the next guy with the same exact setup, won't.

Worked in the Beta office @ Alienware for YEARS, have seen 100s of different issues occur in the SAME EXACT BUILDS...They just happen. No 2 cores in this industry are created equal...Regardless of your personal experiences.

Now, am I saying this is an epidemic and everyone's Fermis are going to die? Absolutely not.

Am I saying the conditions are right that it's possible for SOMEONE'S card to die? Yes, absolutely...Because it is.

A significant amount of the Fermi run could not reach stock clocks without being OC'd - Fact.
If you take an already struggling platform and introduce another hurdle/problem it will be MORE likely to fail - Fact.

The Fermi that I ran on my fresh build was a 480 -- Easily hit 90c within 10 minutes just on the Windows 7 screen...Could I have gotten screenshots? Probably but, I really just wanted verification for myself that the issues my clients were complaining about were possible and they are.

Users on [H], Tom's, OCN and Nvidia are complaining about the voltage profiles randomly swapping (Under fresh installs) and the cards randomly hitting max load (Again, fresh installs)...Considering the source, I give those individuals credence and weight.

Just because the weather conditions are right for a Tornado, doesn't mean it's going to happen but, it sometimes, does ~ Nobody ever thought a Tornado would land in Connecticut but, it did.

Again, I'm not saying Fermis are dying left and right, I'm saying you're wrong to believe that it's impossible because under the right conditions, any driver can blow up a card.

Once again, I quite frankly, don't care about 1 individual's conclusions in an enthusiast market of over 1 million users -- If the outspoken majority have an issue with the driver, there's an issue with the driver.

Return of the Sith
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10480
  • Ribbons : 116
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 11:57:59 (permalink)
feniks

does anybody know for sure if any problems coming from 320 WHQL were replicated in Custom Clean Install mode with only the driver itself and physx component and NOTHING else selected?

just a thought, I never had problem with that driver, but I am running 670 Kepler SLI, not Fermi.

That's exactly how I install my drivers unless I decide I want to do some 3d gaming.  The one thing I noticed that is what I consider to be a negative about these drivers is that I see the power target spiking on occasion into the 200's and once the 300's.  It's only been a quick spike here & there while gaming.  I also noticed when this occurs, it doesn't drop the cards clock speed like you'd expect after exceeding the 132% limit I use for my power target.
post edited by bdary - 2013/06/11 12:00:48

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 12:07:18 (permalink)
bdary

feniks

That's exactly how I install my drivers unless I decide I want to do some 3d gaming.  The one thing I noticed that is what I consider to be a negative about these drivers is that I see the power target spiking on occasion into the 200's and once the 300's.  It's only been a quick spike here & there while gaming.  I also noticed when this occurs, it doesn't drop the cards clock speed like you'd expect after exceeding the 132% limit I use for my power target.

Is this in the monitoring graph or using the OSD?
Could you replicate this and post some screenshots.....

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 12:13:37 (permalink)
maskedmenace

maniacvvvLOLOLOL

------------------

Yeah right bud.
A monkey can build systems.... takes alittle more to be able to take screenshots and post real data

Again, YOU stated it was impossible while acknowledging that drivers HAVE destroyed a card before. Period. Done. End.

I quite frankly, don't care about your setup. Just because YOU didn't see any performance issues, doesn't mean the next guy with the same exact setup, won't.

Worked in the Beta office @ Alienware for YEARS, have seen 100s of different issues occur in the SAME EXACT BUILDS...They just happen. No 2 cores in this industry are created equal...Regardless of your personal experiences.

Now, am I saying this is an epidemic and everyone's Fermis are going to die? Absolutely not.

Am I saying the conditions are right that it's possible for SOMEONE'S card to die? Yes, absolutely...Because it is.

A significant amount of the Fermi run could not reach stock clocks without being OC'd - Fact.
If you take an already struggling platform and introduce another hurdle/problem it will be MORE likely to fail - Fact.

The Fermi that I ran on my fresh build was a 480 -- Easily hit 90c within 10 minutes just on the Windows 7 screen...Could I have gotten screenshots? Probably but, I really just wanted verification for myself that the issues my clients were complaining about were possible and they are.

Users on [H], Tom's, OCN and Nvidia are complaining about the voltage profiles randomly swapping (Under fresh installs) and the cards randomly hitting max load (Again, fresh installs)...Considering the source, I give those individuals credence and weight.

Just because the weather conditions are right for a Tornado, doesn't mean it's going to happen but, it sometimes, does ~ Nobody ever thought a Tornado would land in Connecticut but, it did.

Again, I'm not saying Fermis are dying left and right, I'm saying you're wrong to believe that it's impossible because under the right conditions, any driver can blow up a card.

Once again, I quite frankly, don't care about 1 individual's conclusions in an enthusiast market of over 1 million users -- If the outspoken majority have an issue with the driver, there's an issue with the driver.

Please dont put words in my mouth

The OP is "WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's"

You have posted no evidence that this is occurring other than your having problems, and only typed words to back it up.
Please show your "experience" levels and document this issue -or- I will lump you into the novice user error group

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10480
  • Ribbons : 116
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 12:18:56 (permalink)
maniacvvv

bdary

feniks

This is in the monitoring graph.  And I suppose I could re-install the driver and get a screen shot.  I saw it happen the few times I was gaming with this driver.  I don't remember seeing it benching with Valley.  Crysis3 was the game I was playing when I saw this occur.

I'll re-install the driver and run a test this evening.  Then post a screen shot.
post edited by bdary - 2013/06/11 12:22:12

HeavyHemi
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13879
  • Ribbons : 135
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 12:23:32 (permalink)
maskedmenace

maniacvvvLOLOLOL

------------------

Yeah right bud.

'Outspoken majority'? It's a tiny fraction of the user base. Sure, anything is possible. However speculation is speculation. The fact of a past driver with a fan control issue, which isn't the issue here, is irrelevant to THIS claim of 'driver killing GPU's' as nobody is citing that as the issue.
There are a couple of reports being spread around the echo machine, ie repeating the same few reports over numerous sites. This driver doesn't appear to have any more issues than other recent drivers. Most seem to be centered around BF3 issues or Metro with artifacting. They work fine for me running TITANS with a 580 for PhysX. The fact is, those not having issues are far less likely to report they are 'not having issues'. Whereas those having issues, whatever the cause, are.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 12:25:23 (permalink)
bdary

maniacvvv

bdary

feniks

This is in the monitoring graph.  And I suppose I could re-install the driver and get a screen shot.  I saw it happen the few times I was gaming with this driver.  I don't remember seeing it benching with Valley.  Crysis3 was the game I was playing when I saw this occur.

I'll re-install the driver and run a test this evening.  Then post a screen shot.

Please check your PM's

_Nite_
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14962
  • Ribbons : 46
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 13:05:32 (permalink)
KEVRAY

A couple of my games froze up on me like the ArmA3 alpha, to be expected i suppose being a wip game, Metro last light on some chapters at certain spots. Oddly, last night whilst playing Hitman Absolution i got a message pop up and tell me my system memory is running low, first time that's happened, maybe i have too many programs open?, i had Precision X plus RTSS and win 7 aero all running in the background and i'm using 8 gb ram, hmmm, strange goings on, this has only started to happen. This is with 320.11 from evga driver disc and 320.18 from GeForce.com, haha. I'm not sure if mine is due to heat problems though?, my GTX 780's get a bit hot really. Think i am regretting GTX780 SLI?.

Metro Last Light froze up on me several times too but I was on 314.22 at the time I played that game, so I'm sure that was game related not driver related.

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

jerzeeloon
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 13:55:41 (permalink)
So far the only game that has crashed on me is crysis 3.

corsair 350D
Asus Maximus VI Gene
4770k @ 4.2ghz
8gb rip jaws X series 1600 888/24
500gb crucial m4 ssd
1tb wd caviar black
Corsair AX760
Gtx 1080ti 
Unwinder
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Ribbons : 12
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 13:57:42 (permalink)
Excellent, now RTSS name is also associated with killing GPUs in mind of average newbie reading this thread. Thanks a “lot", maniacvvv, now nonsense about “RTSS killing GPUs” is being blindly cloned by idiots across different forums. You don't seem to have even a basic understanding of RTSS functioning principles but sadly post  tutorials related to "RTSS corruption during driver install", hope your FAQs and the moments of fame you're receiving after posting them make you happy.
Anyway, I planned to remove RTSS from Precision completely after discussion of your previous posts. Seeing it as a separately installable application is a direct result of our last dialog and the problems I had because of your “guides”. But Jacob asked me to keep OSD feature and I was stupid enough to agree again and allow Precision users to install RTSS at least optionally. I'm sorry but I'm done with it. It is ok for me that unlike commercial Precision application, the company doesn't pay even a single cent for OSD server, it is a hobby and it was interesting to develop OSD part of functionality freely during many years. But constantly coming here and wasting time and nerves on defending RTSS against such posts and doing it RIGHT HERE at EVGA ground is beyond any limits. It costs nothing to company, it cost me time, nerves and reputation because of such posts. I don’t need it anymore, sorry.  
So maniacvvv, with your guides you’re trying to appear like a person knowing everything about the things you’re discussing, including RTSS, drivers, 3D API hooks and so on. So do at least one real thing for community and replace me, spend a few years of your life on coding some free RTSS replacement for a company. And thanks to everyone who liked OSD and supported it, but I cannot longer resist this RTSS related hell here and absolutely cannot continue supporting it in EVGA Precision product. Sorry and bye.
Bobmitch
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7798
  • Ribbons : 49
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 14:06:48 (permalink)
Unwinder...this is truly sad!  Your work through the years has saved us much pain and hardware.  The ability to monitor the hardware and make the necessary adjustments to keep it running within parameters has been extremely important.  I wish the comments of a few would not penalize the needs of the many, that you have graciously served...I have been a fan of yours since I started using Rivatuner many years ago.  I, and countless others, have depended on your reliable software for a very long time.  I hope that at some point, you might reconsider...

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 CL30 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i LCD 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; Corsair K70 RGB Pro MX Speed Silver Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  https://www.heatware.com/u/72402
Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 14:07:17 (permalink)
Unwinder

Excellent, now RTSS name is also associated with killing GPUs in mind of average newbie reading this thread. Thanks a “lot", maniacvvv, now nonsense about “RTSS killing GPUs” is being blindly cloned by idiots across different forums. You don't seem to have even a basic understanding of RTSS functioning principles but sadly post  tutorials related to "RTSS corruption during driver install", hope your FAQs and the moments of fame you're receiving after posting them make you happy.
Anyway, I planned to remove RTSS from Precision completely after discussion of your previous posts. Seeing it as a separately installable application is a direct result of our last dialog and the problems I had because of your “guides”. But Jacob asked me to keep OSD feature and I was stupid enough to agree again and allow Precision users to install RTSS at least optionally. I'm sorry but I'm done with it. It is ok for me that unlike commercial Precision application, the company doesn't pay even a single cent for OSD server, it is a hobby and it was interesting to develop OSD part of functionality freely during many years. But constantly coming here and wasting time and nerves on defending RTSS against such posts and doing it RIGHT HERE at EVGA ground is beyond any limits. It costs nothing to company, it cost me time, nerves and reputation because of such posts. I don’t need it anymore, sorry.  
So maniacvvv, with your guides you’re trying to appear like a person knowing everything about the things you’re discussing, including RTSS, drivers, 3D API hooks and so on. So do at least one real thing for community and replace me, spend a few years of your life on coding some free RTSS replacement for a company. And thanks to everyone who liked OSD and supported it, but I cannot longer resist this RTSS related hell here and absolutely cannot continue supporting it in EVGA Precision product. Sorry and bye.

Damit man dont be so sensitive
I didnt say that.

The RTSS is -ONLY- a issue when it becomes corrupted, and it only becomes corrupted by USER error.
You know as well as I do all the issues faced by your software in todays user/hardware environment
SO GROW A PAIR 

Your programs have been a gift from heaven to users
Its not your fault or mine, nor is it any surprise at all that -idiots- can have problems when using your software

I am only trying to help users who get into trouble, find their way out of it.

And you can STOP THE HELL blaming me for what YOU do with EVGA.      

Telling people to shut down your programs when installing drivers, or properly uninstall/reinstall to recover from issues with them is not a personal attack.

Your response is both unwarranted, unfair and wrong.  

post edited by maniacvvv - 2013/06/11 14:37:03

Lord Odin
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 268
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 15:24:03 (permalink)
Ok, so I'll be getting a 780 soon and am confused.  Do the 320.18 drivers cause issues or not?  Is modifying the 320.14 drivers the only solution?

Evolv X | i9-9900k | Asus Maximus XI HeroEVGA 1000 T2 | 32gb DDR4-3600 | 512 GB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 | 1 TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 2TB Samsun 860 Evo |Custom Water Cooling | 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | Hydrocopper SoundBlaster Zx 
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18116
  • Ribbons : 58
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 15:26:47 (permalink)
Lord Odin
Ok, so I'll be getting a 780 soon and am confused.  Do the 320.18 drivers cause issues or not?  Is modifying the 320.14 drivers the only solution?

From what I can gather, if you do a custom install and just install the driver & physx, you should be fine.. plus 3D if you have that capability. 

Unwinder Привет. Hope you will reconsider. Желаю всего хорошего.

post edited by Nereus - 2013/06/11 15:30:27

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0 

Baltothewolf
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3655
  • Ribbons : 5
Re:WARNING: 320.18 Drivers are Killing GPU's 2013/06/11 15:52:23 (permalink)
maniacvvv

Unwinder

Damit man dont be so sensitive
I didnt say that.

Why did I read that in Bone's voice (Star Trek). <3 Maniaccc lol. That made my day

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
-7700HQ.
-16GB RAM.
-GTX 1070.
-128GB SSD.
-1X 1TB 7200 spinny drive.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile