Thunderbolt Devices Could Infect Your PC, Thanks to Thunderclap Security Flaw

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102598
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 85
2019/03/03 23:54:46 (permalink)
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/thunderbolt-thunderclap-security-flaw-vulnerability,38709.html

A new security vulnerability named "Thunderclap" severely compromises security of computers with USB type-C Thunderbolt ports, or machines with Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbps) ports. This would be pretty much every MacBook released in the past two years, Macs, and PCs with certain aftermarket Thunderbolt 3 adapters. Chronicled in a paper by Department of Computer Science and Technology at the University of Cambridge, Rice University and SRI International, is a method for Thunderbolt devices to bypass the host machine's IOMMU (I/O memory management unit), and read its main memory over DMA. 

For now no public mitigation exists other than disabling the Thunderbolt controller of your machine in your motherboard's UEFI setup program.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

1 Reply Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10119
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Thunderbolt Devices Could Infect Your PC, Thanks to Thunderclap Security Flaw 2019/03/04 00:18:15 (permalink)
    Luckily it takes having a cable plugged into the port. That means that a hacker would have to have access to the computer itself. If the computer is in a public area though it's good to keep the ports disabled.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile