Test your driver variance always

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 17:49:25 (permalink)
GloR1ouS_
I honestly don't know how you say capframex is unreliable.

Its rather obvious that you didn't bother reading before replying or you are just trolling at this point.  I'm not sure what it is. 

Its your methods that are inaccurate, inconsistent, and unreliable.  There are too many external variables that can have an effect on your results.  Instead of addressing those variables, you keep trying to defend your inaccurate, inconsistent, and unreliable results.

GloR1ouS_
You could have the exact same hardware as 20 people and all have variations on a specific game engine. Capframex is an amazing software for testing ones own system. For anyone confused by how bad driver variation is I incourage you to download the software and run tests in games on your system. High density ram could tank your fps to an unsuspecting person. This has been proven by multiple tech channels. You could bench incredibly in a synthetic bench but get way less performance in a game without even knowing it. The knowledge is out there, it's whether people care to actually go in depth and care about system latency and maximizing their expensive hardware.

You really aren't comprehending the issue with your claims.  Your methods are not reliable and consistent enough to make those claims.  

GloR1ouS_
Gamers nexus did an amazing video on 0.1% lows and 1% lows and how they effect your actual average fps. You could be getting 600 fps (lowers latency) but if your 0.1% was say 100 fps, you would get noticeable stutters destroying any latency advantage you obtained by buying "the best of the best" I myself am a competitive gamer and want every edge I can get vs these absolute cracked out players that exist in every game these days from gaming growing over the years.

Thanks for repeating common knowledge.

GloR1ouS_
Im not sitting here like some kind of mad scientist writing numbers down on a spreadsheet. I simply try a new driver and see how it performs. Its not rocket science to capframex and see my 0.1% lows tanked or 1% tanked. I could feel a stutter in the game and wanted to see what was going on. 150 fps on a 0.1% vs 210-220 is just common sense. I'm not reading into it too hard, I was simply putting it out there for people that this actually exists. Do, don't, it doesnt matter to me.

The whole issue is your methods, which I said before.  They are inaccurate, unreliable, and inconsistent.  You are blaming driver versions when you didn't eliminate the other variables.
GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 897
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 18:04:20 (permalink)
bavor
GloR1ouS_
I honestly don't know how you say capframex is unreliable.

Its rather obvious that you didn't bother reading before replying or you are just trolling at this point.  I'm not sure what it is. 

Its your methods that are inaccurate, inconsistent, and unreliable.  There are too many external variables that can have an effect on your results.  Instead of addressing those variables, you keep trying to defend your inaccurate, inconsistent, and unreliable results.

GloR1ouS_
You could have the exact same hardware as 20 people and all have variations on a specific game engine. Capframex is an amazing software for testing ones own system. For anyone confused by how bad driver variation is I incourage you to download the software and run tests in games on your system. High density ram could tank your fps to an unsuspecting person. This has been proven by multiple tech channels. You could bench incredibly in a synthetic bench but get way less performance in a game without even knowing it. The knowledge is out there, it's whether people care to actually go in depth and care about system latency and maximizing their expensive hardware.

You really aren't comprehending the issue with your claims.  Your methods are not reliable and consistent enough to make those claims.  

GloR1ouS_
Gamers nexus did an amazing video on 0.1% lows and 1% lows and how they effect your actual average fps. You could be getting 600 fps (lowers latency) but if your 0.1% was say 100 fps, you would get noticeable stutters destroying any latency advantage you obtained by buying "the best of the best" I myself am a competitive gamer and want every edge I can get vs these absolute cracked out players that exist in every game these days from gaming growing over the years.

Thanks for repeating common knowledge.

GloR1ouS_
Im not sitting here like some kind of mad scientist writing numbers down on a spreadsheet. I simply try a new driver and see how it performs. Its not rocket science to capframex and see my 0.1% lows tanked or 1% tanked. I could feel a stutter in the game and wanted to see what was going on. 150 fps on a 0.1% vs 210-220 is just common sense. I'm not reading into it too hard, I was simply putting it out there for people that this actually exists. Do, don't, it doesnt matter to me.

The whole issue is your methods, which I said before.  They are inaccurate, unreliable, and inconsistent.  You are blaming driver versions when you didn't eliminate the other variables.

I want you to find me proof that rivatuner and capframeX is "inconsistent" as you say. As to the other person, I have the ASUS 360HZ at 1080P. Also I want you Mr. big mouth to point out these inconsistencies. As far as I can tell, you haven't done a damn thing to research CapframeX. I use the exact same creative map in FN to produce the exact same environment on each driver. I use the latest build of Windows 10/11. Same power plan, same options in NVCP, Ansel disabled. I use DDU to clean install a new driver and run on the exact same map with the exact same loading of sprites ect. Much like a synthetic benchmark you so commonly praise. I didn't go in depth explaining this because to me its just common sense. In YOURS OR ANYONES CASE you are just changing drivers out and benching 0.1% and 1% lows and average FPS on different drivers. Yeah huge inconsistencies there guy.

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 18:23:09 (permalink)
GloR1ouS_
I want you to find me proof that rivatuner and capframeX is "inconsistent" as you say. As to the other person, I have the ASUS 360HZ at 1080P. Also I want you Mr. big mouth to point out these inconsistencies. As far as I can tell, you haven't done a damn thing to research CapframeX. I use the exact same creative map in FN to produce the exact same environment on each driver. I use the latest build of Windows 10/11. Same power plan, same options in NVCP, Ansel disabled. I use DDU to clean install a new driver and run on the exact same map with the exact same loading of sprites ect. Much like a synthetic benchmark you so commonly praise. I didn't go in depth explaining this because to me its just common sense. In YOURS OR ANYONES CASE you are just changing drivers out and benching 0.1% and 1% lows and average FPS on different drivers. Yeah huge inconsistencies there guy.

Honestly are you trolling or do you have poor reading comprehension?  Which is it? 

YOUR TESTING METHODS ARE INACCURATE, INCONSISTENT, and UNRELIABLE

I don't know how many different ways it needs to be said.  You obviously didn't read or ignored my previous reply where I gave several examples of why your testing methods can't be considered accurate, repeatable, and unreliable.  You did not address all of them.  You did not control for all variables.  Until you read that and comprehend it, anyone replying to your posts again and again is a waste of time.

Seriously stop taking your poor testing methodology as gospel and think for once.  There are a bunch of outside factors that you did not control for or account for.  You explained a some of your testing methods here, much later on after facing some scrutiny, but still failed to account for all variables.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 19:01:21 (permalink)
GloR1ouS_

As for people who are wondering what the methodology is, its very simple. CapFrameX uses rivatuner statistics and captures your 0.1% low and 1% low and average fps. These actually matter on the grand scale of things and input lag at its finest. Youd be amazed how 1 driver difference can tank these numbers.

I watched the video.  While I don't doubt the ability of CapFrameX to record frame rate, the video shows him manually running through a creative test course, so I have to question how repeatable the test material is. 
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 19:10:37 (permalink)
Guydodge1021
so let me get this straight your a competitive gamer you have a 4k monitor and a 1080 monitor and your choice of vid card was
a 3080 ti founders.and you want to get the most out of your rig for competitive gaming..intresting choices

1080P 360Hz is pretty typical for esports and you can justify a 3080 Ti or 3090 to drive it.
GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 19:11:36 (permalink)
kevinc313
GloR1ouS_

As for people who are wondering what the methodology is, its very simple. CapFrameX uses rivatuner statistics and captures your 0.1% low and 1% low and average fps. These actually matter on the grand scale of things and input lag at its finest. Youd be amazed how 1 driver difference can tank these numbers.

I watched the video.  While I don't doubt the ability of CapFrameX to record frame rate, the video shows him manually running through a creative test course, so I have to question how repeatable the test material is. 

Its an endless loop of the same sprites on the same map every time. Its a benchmark map designed to stress your gpu. There will always be some variation but if it consistently hits a very close number thats fine. When you swap drivers and theres a huge variance thats how you can single out a problem. I consistently hit 150-160fps on 0.1% on 471.61 and 210-220 on 472.12

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 19:20:07 (permalink)
GloR1ouS_
kevinc313
GloR1ouS_

Its an endless loop of the same sprites on the same map every time. Its a benchmark map designed to stress your gpu. There will always be some variation but if it consistently hits a very close number thats fine. When you swap drivers and theres a huge variance thats how you can single out a problem. I consistently hit 150-160fps on 0.1% on 471.61 and 210-220 on 472.12

Sorry man, I'm with Bavor on this one.  Everything you're doing is too inconsistent to conclusively sus out that the driver is causing lower single digit percentage variations.  Sure, if there's large variation due to a major driver defect what you're doing will pick it up, but beyond that no.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/10/13 19:21:08
GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 19:27:36 (permalink)
kevinc313
GloR1ouS_
kevinc313
GloR1ouS_

Sorry man, I'm with Bavor on this one.  Everything you're doing is too inconsistent to conclusively sus out that the driver is causing lower single digit percentage variations.  Sure, if there's large variation due to a major driver defect what you're doing will pick it up, but beyond that no.

A couple google searches would show you that a lot of people have had nightmarish experiences with 3000 series drivers. EVGA's forums used to be top tier with knowledge but it seems things have changed. Check reddit, nvidias forums, linus ect and tell me I am wrong. I have watched many videos on this and I know it makes a difference with a well optimized windows. Keep being sheeple as far as I am concerned.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2021/10/25 09:10:27

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 19:36:57 (permalink)
GloR1ouS_

A couple google searches would show you that a lot of people have had nightmarish experiences with 3000 series drivers. EVGA's forums used to be top tier with knowledge but it seems things have changed. Check reddit, nvidias forums, linus ect and tell me I am wrong. Honestly I am a prick but its like im talking to a bunch xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for Nvidia. I have watched many videos on this and I know it makes a difference with a well optimized windows. Keep being sheeple as far as I am concerned.

Drivers are always a potential issue with GPU's, but that doesn't invalidate the criticism of your testing methodology or how imperative it is.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/10/13 19:50:03
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 20:03:50 (permalink)
Did some testing of my own...

The game ready driver for REV was the best. No surprise there, and it was the driver I was using before even doing the tests. No huge changes. 4.4% difference on the 0.1% for fps.

GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 20:53:35 (permalink)
Sajin
Did some testing of my own...

The game ready driver for REV was the best. No surprise there, and it was the driver I was using before even doing the tests. No huge changes. 4.4% difference on the 0.1% for fps.

Do me a favor and test fortnite. I have tested Apex with damn near identical results across the board along with r6 siege. The games I have heard of with big differences are usually COD and Fortnite.
post edited by GloR1ouS_ - 2021/10/13 20:55:27

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 21:05:15 (permalink)
GloR1ouS_

Basically a 3070 was outperforming my 3080 TI on the 3070's "golden driver" which was not a good driver for the 3080 TI. It's why its so key to actually use a program as good as CapFrameX. Honestly this program has helped me so much in optimizing my games its not even funny.

As a side note, W11 is great but its a real pain. Its an actual task to completely remove gamebar and "gamebar presence writer". I'd say W10 21H1 is just overall a superior gaming experience.

This....... ;)

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 21:09:34 (permalink)
GloR1ouS_

As a side note, W11 is great but its a real pain. Its an actual task to completely remove gamebar and "gamebar presence writer". I'd say W10 21H1 is just overall a superior gaming experience.

While we're at it, I would not run W11 even if it gave me a 10% performance improvement.  I run W10E 1809 LTSC and am looking to update to the upcoming final W10E LTSC version after its been out 6 months, so sometime next year.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 21:31:09 (permalink)
GloR1ouS_
Do me a favor and test fortnite. I have tested Apex with damn near identical results across the board along with r6 siege. The games I have heard of with big differences are usually COD and Fortnite.

Sure. I'm guessing that benchmark map is included?
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 21:33:25 (permalink)
^^^^ As for W11,,,

Been mucking about w PC's since 1995 (before that was Apple / Macintosh...my 1st computer):
- W3.1 coming from an Apple ..WHY? Forced to learn DOS
-W95 such a breath of fresh air from 3.1....but yeah, they simply copied Apple n Mac OS ;)
- W95/98 to XP: everyone was reluctant to switch....turned out was great!
- Millenium: Forget it!!!!
-XP to Vista: sucked and everyone knew it....but iirc we were somewhat forced into it due to Drivers, thankfully it wasnt around long !
- Vista to W7: Thanks god !!!! W7 was a blessing after Vista. (think I tried Vista as we needed it to run more RAM..I think)
- then along came W8 8.1 which many of us saw no benefit, neither did the general public, as we all hung onto the holy grail W7
- W7 / W8 to W10: uh oh !!!! ...."Im not running this OS" ......but..a little time (not long), turns out pretty good
-W10 to W11: from everything Im seeing with the morph, drivers etc, looks relatively smooth so far, other than having to update Mobo FW, but I'll wait maybe 1 month and see how the early adopters find it.

Point is we all get comfortable on our go to OS .......its all about Driver / HW compatibility and being able to tweak n set things up comfortably...always a learning curve...but I cant stand the forced bloatware and less control over Driver installation.

Gone somewhat off topic.....

post edited by rjbarker - 2021/10/13 21:35:06

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/13 21:40:31 (permalink)
Found the benchmark map. Just waiting for the game to finish downloading now...
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 00:22:54 (permalink)

4.76% difference. No 31% swing. 31% swing would put the 0.1% at 33 fps. When launching the game with 466.27 it says driver 466.27 is known to have issues. Well it tested only a few % different than 472.12. lol.

Settings used for fortnite...

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102315
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 06:00:46 (permalink)
I'd like to remind everyone that name calling or insults of other forum members (directly or indirectly) are not allowed on the EVGA forums. Repeat offenders will be warned accordingly. Such posts will be edited or deleted. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 06:06:37 (permalink)
The most amazing thing about this thread is that Sajin installed Fortnite.
mech9t5
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1413
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 08:12:30 (permalink)
And the fact that Sajin has the open mind to try out the software to see if the OP's findings are true or not and not just arguing about it.

Associate Code: P7JUX093GU7RID0

GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 08:34:55 (permalink)
Sajin

4.76% difference. No 31% swing. 31% swing would put the 0.1% at 33 fps. When launching the game with 466.27 it says driver 466.27 is known to have issues. Well it tested only a few % different than 472.12. lol.

Settings used for fortnite...

Im curious if its because you are on 4k that its more stable. Also did you use the map in creative? Im pushing 400+ fps on that map with p95 hitting 680. Also the meta in FN is performance mode to push the higher fps

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 08:36:15 (permalink)
So OP, if a game has a built in benchmark, do you think that's worth testing with vs. a simulation of gameplay?
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 08:44:40 (permalink)
Map was ran in creative.
GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 08:51:07 (permalink)
kevinc313
So OP, if a game has a built in benchmark, do you think that's worth testing with vs. a simulation of gameplay?

I don't think a built in benchmark matters in some games. In siege I get 830 average fps and max of like 950 on the bench test and I can tell you I don't get that in an actual match.

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 12:23:29 (permalink)
Sajin
Map was ran in creative.

Out of pure curiousity of how consistent your numbers are on 4k makes me want to test dsr 4k. It also makes me want to look at differences of quality. When it comes to Fortnite settings things change drastically. All I have ever done is chase the highest fps at the lowest settings for comp play. As you saw I can get 400 average on a bench eith 220 on a 0.1% low yet in apex or siege my 0.1% lows and 1% is much higher and closer to average fps. This could all be because of the game engine itself. The only game I have ever had to fight with for the smoothest gameplay is fortnite. High fps Fortnite is where drivers seem to hit much different. Makes me wonder if this just fn or the unreal engine itself.

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 12:59:34 (permalink)
Try 4K see what you get. I doubt 4k is making things more consistent, but I could be wrong.
ZoranC
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1099
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 19:48:08 (permalink)
Too long, didn't have patience to read/watch completely ... but ... BUT! ... with all due respect to those that know much more than me, isn't using same card you are benchmarking to capture/encode your video while you are benchmarking it making whole benchmark invalid and putting it under huge question mark?!
post edited by ZoranC - 2021/10/14 20:16:27
Nozler
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2043
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 20:11:46 (permalink)
What a hairy debate my gaming rig has nothing on it including riva tuner which I find completely unnecessary.
Ya I run ab for fan control and system temps but no riva. So by turning everything off while gaming with the exception
Of pertinent driver's. My pong delay is not acceptable, go figure and to think all these years I needed one more fps not.
 Now load the bong and take a big cheer because at that high of frame rate no bodies going to know any diff

heatware

GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 21:01:49 (permalink)
Sajin
Try 4K see what you get. I doubt 4k is making things more consistent, but I could be wrong.

I made a mistake the top two DX12 were done on low not epic. Also it seems like 4K is a lot more consistent where as uncapped high fps seems to throw things for a loop a bit. This driver feels very stable on FN though on comp settings.

post edited by GloR1ouS_ - 2021/10/14 21:04:31

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 21:52:26 (permalink)
GloR1ouS_
Sajin

I made a mistake the top two DX12 were done on low not epic. Also it seems like 4K is a lot more consistent where as uncapped high fps seems to throw things for a loop a bit. This driver feels very stable on FN though on comp settings.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile