Test your driver variance always

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 23:15:34 (permalink)
Some new numbers from me. Same settings, but tested differently. 

How I tested:
Keeping crosshair facing forward around each turn. Capture time set to 61.85. Capture started as soon as I jump over wall at start point.

GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 897
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/14 23:54:18 (permalink)
Sajin
Some new numbers from me. Same settings, but tested differently. 

How I tested:
Keeping crosshair facing forward around each turn. Capture time set to 61.85. Capture started as soon as I jump over wall at start point.

Generally I will start the timer at the same position and always keep the camera facing the same direction and capture it 3 different times to compare the result. Epic DSR at 4K didn't feel stuttery but the 60-80 FPS sure didn't feel smooth after being at 360+ for so long. Honestly I think a 10900K overclocked now paired with a 750W PSU is also too low. I ordered a 1300 G2. I have never experienced a system restart or anything like that but I saw a 10900K + 3080 pulling 720 watts. I also have 6 noctua fans. Theres always going to be benchmark variance but on some drivers its literally mind boggling. I am actually thinking its just fortnite optimization and thats sad that the company who makes unreal engine can't get consistent results per game update.

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/15 00:17:13 (permalink)
Nice psu upgrade. 
Nozler
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2043
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/15 00:43:35 (permalink)
Nice power that single rail voltage on a good 1300w
should you would think kick the spikes to the curb

heatware

GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/15 01:27:09 (permalink)
I don't have the tools to see what its actually drawing but I think 750+ is not unrealistic. It cost me just over 400 CAD for a 1300 g2 which is probably old inventory but options are very limited and I didnt want a g5. If it were to do it while pulling 600 fps thats also possible to cause me variance. I watched Jayztwocents where he showed new world actually pulling 410 watts when he set the max tdp to 350 on a 3090. That engine has a mind of its own.

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/16 14:25:05 (permalink)
GloR1ouS_
kevinc313
Sorry man, I'm with Bavor on this one.  Everything you're doing is too inconsistent to conclusively sus out that the driver is causing lower single digit percentage variations.  Sure, if there's large variation due to a major driver defect what you're doing will pick it up, but beyond that no.

A couple google searches would show you that a lot of people have had nightmarish experiences with 3000 series drivers. EVGA's forums used to be top tier with knowledge but it seems things have changed. Check reddit, nvidias forums, linus ect and tell me I am wrong. I have watched many videos on this and I know it makes a difference with a well optimized windows. Keep being sheeple as far as I am concerned.

You are wrong because your testing methods are inconsistent, not repeatable, and don't account for the other variables.  That's the issue we have with your claims.  It doesn't matter that there have been occasional driver issue in drivers.  The simple fact is you made claims without detailed info about your testing methods until after your testing methods were called into question.  Then you later claimed to have certain testing methods that you didn't originally state.  Even then your testing methods can't be considered reliable and accurate.  When testing different drivers you have to account for every external variable.  You aren't doing that because of your testing methods.  Not we can't take your word that you originally used those testing methods because anyone can make something up after the fact.  In addition to that, the video also shows inconsistent and inaccurate testing methods that don't account for all variables.  

Your methods are being called into question so that makes your results unreliable at best.  You are taking it personally and resorting to name calling instead of repeating the test with better testing methods.

If the variations in game performance youa re claiming existed, thousands of people would notice it and would have reported it.  Searching various forums and Google hasn't yielded any results showing that the driver versions that were listed caused significant issues for a large number of people or anyone really.

In my experience, when testing different drivers for both Nvidia and AMD, its rare to have a larger than 2% variance in average FPS and 1% low FPS for both games and synthetic benchmarks between driver versions.  Yes there are a few rare exceptions, but those are very few and far between and never as large as you are claiming.  The biggest difference I've seen between driver versions for port royal can be considered to be within margin of error.  I saw a consistent ~200 point difference between two driver versions in Port Royal after multiple benchmark runs with all the variables controlled as much as possible and 15+ minutes of cool down between benchmark runs.  However that ws 200 points in a system that scores 29,000+ points in ambient conditions.  That's less than a 0.7% variation between drivers after testing multiple drivers.  I've seen variations between drivers and Time Spy and Fire Strike that were between 1% and 2%, but often that can be counted as within margin of error.

For CS:GO, Rainbow Six Siege, and WoT at 1080p, small variations in other components of the system usually have a much larger effect than Nvidia driver versions.  With an air cooled GPU, I've seen bigger variations in those games with a 5C difference in GPU temperature(allowing a slightly faster GPU clock for a short time) than with different driver versions.  I've also seen much bigger variations than different driver versions in those games if you allow the CPU to control its own clock speed than locking the CPU to one clock speed for all cores.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2021/10/25 09:08:05
GloR1ouS_
SSC Member
Re: Test your driver variance always 2021/10/16 19:07:45 (permalink)
bavor
GloR1ouS_
kevinc313
Sorry man, I'm with Bavor on this one.  Everything you're doing is too inconsistent to conclusively sus out that the driver is causing lower single digit percentage variations.  Sure, if there's large variation due to a major driver defect what you're doing will pick it up, but beyond that no.

A couple google searches would show you that a lot of people have had nightmarish experiences with 3000 series drivers. EVGA's forums used to be top tier with knowledge but it seems things have changed. Check reddit, nvidias forums, linus ect and tell me I am wrong. I have watched many videos on this and I know it makes a difference with a well optimized windows. Keep being sheeple as far as I am concerned.

You are wrong because your testing methods are inconsistent, not repeatable, and don't account for the other variables.  That's the issue we have with your claims.  It doesn't matter that there have been occasional driver issue in drivers.  The simple fact is you made claims without detailed info about your testing methods until after your testing methods were called into question.  Then you later claimed to have certain testing methods that you didn't originally state.  Even then your testing methods can't be considered reliable and accurate.  When testing different drivers you have to account for every external variable.  You aren't doing that because of your testing methods.  Not we can't take your word that you originally used those testing methods because anyone can make something up after the fact.  In addition to that, the video also shows inconsistent and inaccurate testing methods that don't account for all variables.  

Your methods are being called into question so that makes your results unreliable at best.  You are taking it personally and resorting to name calling instead of repeating the test with better testing methods.

If the variations in game performance youa re claiming existed, thousands of people would notice it and would have reported it.  Searching various forums and Google hasn't yielded any results showing that the driver versions that were listed caused significant issues for a large number of people or anyone really.

In my experience, when testing different drivers for both Nvidia and AMD, its rare to have a larger than 2% variance in average FPS and 1% low FPS for both games and synthetic benchmarks between driver versions.  Yes there are a few rare exceptions, but those are very few and far between and never as large as you are claiming.  The biggest difference I've seen between driver versions for port royal can be considered to be within margin of error.  I saw a consistent ~200 point difference between two driver versions in Port Royal after multiple benchmark runs with all the variables controlled as much as possible and 15+ minutes of cool down between benchmark runs.  However that ws 200 points in a system that scores 29,000+ points in ambient conditions.  That's less than a 0.7% variation between drivers after testing multiple drivers.  I've seen variations between drivers and Time Spy and Fire Strike that were between 1% and 2%, but often that can be counted as within margin of error.

For CS:GO, Rainbow Six Siege, and WoT at 1080p, small variations in other components of the system usually have a much larger effect than Nvidia driver versions.  With an air cooled GPU, I've seen bigger variations in those games with a 5C difference in GPU temperature(allowing a slightly faster GPU clock for a short time) than with different driver versions.  I've also seen much bigger variations than different driver versions in those games if you allow the CPU to control its own clock speed than locking the CPU to one clock speed for all cores.

No, thanks to Sajin willing to test Fortnite with CapframeX at 4K, I have been able to narrow down that Fortnite itself is flawed. I don't know how or why but it clearly has issues at 1080P with huge variance leaps on any dx level. (dx12, dx11 and performance mode which supposed to be dx11 based) At 4K DSR my results basically mirrored his with very little variance. So using that data as a guideline with him using a different driver than I and me testing other driver versions at 1080P performance mode showing LEAPS in the 0.1% and 1% lows paired with micro stutters its clear to me. In COD CW the frames are great and all within 5% of each other, so does r6 siege, apex, cs. To sit there and just say drivers can't actually effect performance is incredibly narrow minded when I and others (fr33thy) have seen FPS tanks from different nvidia drivers. He is a COD head and I am not, I have not extensively tested drivers on that game like he has. Fortnite, very much so.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2021/10/25 09:09:09

My Setup
-ASUS PG259QN, XG248Q
-Lian Li 011 Dynamic
-MSI Z490 Meg Ace
-10900K 5.2GHZ

-Artic Freezer II 360MM
-16GB Viper 4400MHZ
-3080 TI Founders

-EVGA 750 P2

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: