EVGA

AnsweredStuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
vulcZ
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 301
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/03 10:57:25 (permalink)
kring
Hey VulcZ - so the clock speeds I refer to are those encoded into the BIOS, which for the FTW3U it's 1800 for the GPU & 9752 on the memory.  and those are exactly what my system gets stuck at each time.  those are encoded by EVGA at factory, and if you have the non-ultra version it's 1740mhz instead of 1800.  

So even though the GPU, Drivers & PX1 all do variable clocks or adjust those numbers via sliders - it's still rooted in the encoded clocks of the BIOS.  And I got those stats from PX1 & EVGA's website, you can als view that info in other utilities like GPUz.    

Though - I still can't figure out why most utilities recognize the memory as 1219mhz, PX1 sees it as 9752mhz, and EVGA website says it clocks at 19,500mhz... those are some seriously drastic differences!   Somehow too - I think all 3 are correct ?!?!?  1219mhz X 8 = 9752mhz and then multiply that time 2 and you get 19,504mhz... so they correlate, but I don't know why there's a 16x factor applied to the base clock.

Right, I get the part about the clocks encoded into the BIOS, everything you're saying is correct. The part I was wondering was when you said...

"I see it happening even when I'm not in the OS, just sitting at bios menu.  heat builds and builds too and it doesn't cause the fans to kick in.  the fact it's persistent through power cycles and without OS points to it being firmware issue"

I was just trying to say that the card running at higher clocks/temps outside of the OS (in the BIOS, for example) is likely normal behavior. So in other words, just because your card is running warm in the BIOS, doesn't necessarily point to a firmware issue as the different power states are typically controlled by drivers and not the firmware itself. That's been my experience with all NV cards I've owned in the past.

I am 100% on board with your thoughts about the memory. I wish the different sources made it EASIER for us to understand haha :)

Heatwarehttp://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=6179
Ryzen 9 5950X|| Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming || EVGA RTX 3090 K|NGP|N || 32GB G Skill 3600 (B-die)

bret0213
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/03 11:12:23 (permalink)
I've been having the same issue with 3090FTW Ultra and have tried all the same solutions. I thought it was part of the "prefer maximum performance" however I can replicate the 1800mHz clock just by starting steamVR. The Nvidia inspector did work but its still running at a higher voltage and running double clock at 420MHz instead of 210MHz at idle, but inspector also doesn't allow it to clock up without turning off MDPS. Anyone trying re flashing the BIOS? That's about the only thing I have not tried because at this point I think it is purely related to the drivers. Also, have had complete driver crashes. Where the application putting the load on crashes as well, of course, but I have no access to control panel and errors in device manager, but a simply reboot remedies this problem.
vulcZ
iCX Member
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/03 11:37:14 (permalink)
bret0213
I've been having the same issue with 3090FTW Ultra and have tried all the same solutions. I thought it was part of the "prefer maximum performance" however I can replicate the 1800mHz clock just by starting steamVR. The Nvidia inspector did work but its still running at a higher voltage and running double clock at 420MHz instead of 210MHz at idle, but inspector also doesn't allow it to clock up without turning off MDPS. Anyone trying re flashing the BIOS? That's about the only thing I have not tried because at this point I think it is purely related to the drivers. Also, have had complete driver crashes. Where the application putting the load on crashes as well, of course, but I have no access to control panel and errors in device manager, but a simply reboot remedies this problem.

Hmmmm, I don't use SteamVR but the fact that *THAT* also triggers the clockspeed getting stuck at a high state is concerning. I wonder what else could trigger it? I still lean towards a driver issue.

Ryzen 9 5950X|| Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming || EVGA RTX 3090 K|NGP|N || 32GB G Skill 3600 (B-die)

Raych
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/03 11:42:19 (permalink)
I had the same issue and I solved it like many others have noted by setting the nvidia control panel setting to "Optimal Power" instead of "Prefer Maximum Performance". 
I am just posting to add to those solutions, and also to emphasize that the power setting only takes effect AFTER RESTARTING your computer. 

If others are having this issue and seeing that setting to "Optimal power" is not doing anything, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/03 11:56:16 (permalink)
Raych
If others are having this issue and seeing that setting to "Optimal power" is not doing anything, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER

+1
Ryan4777
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/03 15:36:56 (permalink)
Hi, ive been having this issue as well.
Ive done a series of trouble shooting and recreating the issue. Id like to state i had this issue before i started trying to OC for the sake of my statement, though it happened less often.

1. This issue mainly manifests itself after a game crashes, a series of OC benchmarks, or OC stress tests in my experience. I have tried it with different power management settings and can recreate it on either adaptive or high performance. (I had a 3080 ventus 3x OC and never had this issue if i left global at high performance which leads me to believe its something to do with specifically 30 series evga cards)

2. Ive been able to repeatedly fix this issue by doing a clean install of the nvidia drivers, ive even been able to fix the problem with the 3rd fan running higher than the rest at idle (go to precision x1 link the fans to match each other then slide it to 100 and press apply, after that click auto for your custom curve then press apply again and it should bring that 3rd fan back in line with your curve. Idk if it'll work for everyone but it does for me.)

Im not sure but with the amount of people experiencing this issue leads me to believe this is a driver/firmware issue, or quite possibly just faulty cards. When i contacted support they asked me to go into my bios and check my 12v rail for fluctuations luckily mine had a consistent 12.144 for 5 mins. If my 12v rail was fine they wanted to start an RMA.

Ill update as my experience continues.
vulcZ
iCX Member
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/09 08:47:49 (permalink)
Not sure if this is related, but in today's driver release notes there is a current known Windows 10 issue listed that might be what we've been experiencing...

Taken directly from 457.30 release notes.

GeForce Game Ready Driver | 457.30

Reedey
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/18 20:06:13 (permalink)
I just upgraded to 457.3 and the problem has come back again, this was after a month of no issues at all on 456.71.

It seems to be ok after a reboot but opening a 3d title (in my case 3DMARK) pegs it to 1800Mhz and it stays there until a reboot.

Now I am torn because I am getting better performance out of 457.3 but I can't have my GPU idling at 100 watts all day every day. My energy bill is big enough as it is.

I'll just move back to 456.71
post edited by Reedey - 2020/11/18 20:39:04
Reedey
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/18 21:46:11 (permalink)
Update: downgraded graphics driver, things were working fine until I inadvertently hit the boost lock button in precision X1. Now it's stuck back at 1800MHz and wont drop down again. For christs sake this bug is annoying.

Setting back to optimal power and rebooting seems to resolve it, but that doesnt explain why I was able to run Maximum performance mode for the last 4 weeks with the same driver version with it never latching to 1800MHz.
post edited by Reedey - 2020/11/18 22:05:57
IMHERETOSTAY
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/21 15:54:56 (permalink)
vulcZ
Not sure if this is related, but in today's driver release notes there is a current known Windows 10 issue listed that might be what we've been experiencing...

Taken directly from .

This has got to be it... Same problem btw, got my 3080 FTW3 yesterday, worked fine and now it's stuck. Using Inspector atm but pretty sure it'll be fixed if it's in the issues!
gchen749
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/27 07:27:48 (permalink)
I removed current driver and installed previous one.  That fixed this issue for me .. no more 1800 mhz idle and high temps! 
selarom
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/29 17:51:33 (permalink)
Sajin
Here are the top causes of why a GPU would run at elevated clocks at idle...

#1 You're running multiple monitors. Fix: Enable mutil display power saver using nvidia inspector.
#2 Your machine has a virus. Fix: Scan computer using malwarebytes.
#3 One or more programs running in the background are using your GPU. Fix: Perform a clean boot of windows.
#4 Power management mode inside the nvidia control panel is set to prefer maximum performance. Fix: Set power management mode to adaptive then reboot your computer.
#5 Running a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. Fix: Change refresh rate to 120Hz.
#6 K-Boost is enabled inside Precision X. Fix: Disable K-Boost.
#7 Shadowplay is enabled inside geforce experience. Fix: Disable shadowplay inside geforce experience OR completely uninstall geforce experience from your machine (highly recommended)

For me, removing GeForce experience did the trick!! I also at first used nvidia inspector and it also works. But didn't want to have another application running. So went straight to GeForce experience as I know it also may have other issues like crashes in some games because of the overlays. Ampere is still young and I'll give time for drivers to mature a bit. 

Didn't bother with trying to disable shadow play. May try again at some other time.

EDIT: After rebooting the system from uninstalling GeForce Experience, the issue came back again. Also tried removing the second monitor completely and the issue is still present. 
post edited by selarom - 2020/12/01 19:46:37
colma11
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/11/30 04:35:00 (permalink)
I'm glad I found this thread.
I've got a Gigabyte RTX 3080 Eagle OC, and it basically started acting weird overnight.
The clock got stuck at 1755mhz which was causing the fans to rev up really loudly every twenty seconds to cool it back below the treshold.
It also started to coil whine every now and then, even when idle. In games it's quite annoying. I fixed the clock issue by setting Nvidia power management mode to optimal power and restarting my PC.
The day before that happened I was downloading some weird **** like Docker and Linux Subsystem for Windows that I need for my work, so my first idea was that these where the culprits, but it's apparently not the case.

My clock is now unstuck but the noticeable coil whine persits which got me thinking that perhaps changing the power mode only covers-up the a deeper issue. What do you guys think?

I can recreate the issue and lock the fan speeds @ 1755mhz by setting power management mode back to max performance. Which is weird because it had been running fine at that setting for weeks until yesterday.

edit: I feel like there must be something running in the background that's requesting the clock to run at 1755mhz, because that'd be the only reason why it happened overnight. There could be a priority issue where one hidden process forces it at 1755mhz and nvidia power management being able to overwrite that. I tried clean booting with most process/services off, but if I set it at max performance, it still locks up at 1755mhz. hmm...

edit2: read somewhere that these could be a GPU fan issue. Come to think of it, HWInfo only displays GPUFan1 and GPUFan2 readings, even though mine has three fans.

edit3: I might have finally tracked down the issue. With prefer maximum power mode and the clock being stuck at 1755Mhz I started to just kill the 'Start' process repeatedly in task manager. Most of the time it reappeared, but I did it over and over again until the clock dropped back to 210Mhz for the first time in a couple of days with the 'prefer maximum power' mode on. After a while ,however, it locked back up to 1755Mhz, probably because Start kicked in again. So I went over to NVCP and just went through every program that had something to do with Windows: Photo Viewer, Skype for Business, Camera (which I don't own), Windows Lock Screen, Metro Video Player, Minecraft, MS Store, SearchUI, Microsoft PC Settings, MS What's New, Gaming Overlay and set it all to Optimal. Now the system boots up all right at 210Mhz, which is what I like to see, but whenever I open up the start menu it will immediately spikes up to 1755Mhz. Must be some Windows issue, perhaps a corrupted Windows update that happened overnight? Or could it be some Windows mail stuff hapenning in the background? Will check tomorrow.

And since some people say it has something to do with the display you're running: mine is LG27GL850 @ 2560x1440, 144hz.
post edited by colma11 - 2020/11/30 14:59:49
selarom
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/01 20:31:05 (permalink)
colma11
I'm glad I found this thread.
I've got a Gigabyte RTX 3080 Eagle OC, and it basically started acting weird overnight.
The clock got stuck at 1755mhz which was causing the fans to rev up really loudly every twenty seconds to cool it back below the treshold.
It also started to coil whine every now and then, even when idle. In games it's quite annoying. I fixed the clock issue by setting Nvidia power management mode to optimal power and restarting my PC.
The day before that happened I was downloading some weird **** like Docker and Linux Subsystem for Windows that I need for my work, so my first idea was that these where the culprits, but it's apparently not the case.

My clock is now unstuck but the noticeable coil whine persits which got me thinking that perhaps changing the power mode only covers-up the a deeper issue. What do you guys think?

I can recreate the issue and lock the fan speeds @ 1755mhz by setting power management mode back to max performance. Which is weird because it had been running fine at that setting for weeks until yesterday.

edit: I feel like there must be something running in the background that's requesting the clock to run at 1755mhz, because that'd be the only reason why it happened overnight. There could be a priority issue where one hidden process forces it at 1755mhz and nvidia power management being able to overwrite that. I tried clean booting with most process/services off, but if I set it at max performance, it still locks up at 1755mhz. hmm...

edit2: read somewhere that these could be a GPU fan issue. Come to think of it, HWInfo only displays GPUFan1 and GPUFan2 readings, even though mine has three fans.

edit3: I might have finally tracked down the issue. With prefer maximum power mode and the clock being stuck at 1755Mhz I started to just kill the 'Start' process repeatedly in task manager. Most of the time it reappeared, but I did it over and over again until the clock dropped back to 210Mhz for the first time in a couple of days with the 'prefer maximum power' mode on. After a while ,however, it locked back up to 1755Mhz, probably because Start kicked in again. So I went over to NVCP and just went through every program that had something to do with Windows: Photo Viewer, Skype for Business, Camera (which I don't own), Windows Lock Screen, Metro Video Player, Minecraft, MS Store, SearchUI, Microsoft PC Settings, MS What's New, Gaming Overlay and set it all to Optimal. Now the system boots up all right at 210Mhz, which is what I like to see, but whenever I open up the start menu it will immediately spikes up to 1755Mhz. Must be some Windows issue, perhaps a corrupted Windows update that happened overnight? Or could it be some Windows mail stuff hapenning in the background? Will check tomorrow.

And since some people say it has something to do with the display you're running: mine is LG27GL850 @ 2560x1440, 144hz.

Your "EDIT 3" makes sense... but darn, that is a lot of services and apps running in the background that could cause this. Do we know if this same issue is happening accross the board?  I feel like it's either a firmware or driver issue. I recently saw a video from BPS customs OC'ing the XC3 Ultra where he showed PX1 with clocks at 210Mhz when system was idle. That was at release date, so surely had the release BIOS and driver. 

Has anyone tried flashing to a previous BIOS version, previous Driver, or Both?
colma11
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/02 06:59:20 (permalink)

Your "EDIT 3" makes sense... but darn, that is a lot of services and apps running in the background that could cause this. Do we know if this same issue is happening accross the board?  I feel like it's either a firmware or driver issue. I recently saw a video from BPS customs OC'ing the XC3 Ultra where he showed PX1 with clocks at 210Mhz when system was idle. That was at release date, so surely had the release BIOS and driver. 

I did some further testing, and honestly, I'm more confused than I was before. My PC boots up with 210Mhz clock with "maximum performance mode" on, but using pretty much any program that has practically 0 load on the GPU, will cause the clock to run at 1755Mhz. Like: Visual Studio Code (which is basically a text editor), Windows mail app, MS Teams even mouse software GUI.

At this stage I decided I'd stick to to the optimal/adaptive setting and just put 'max performance' on games only. This way it works alright, but I'm still worried I could run global max performance with no problems for weeks til recently.

edit: I found that if I do NVCP -> Desktop -> Display GPU Activity Icon in notification area, open up the tray icon that shows everything that has impact on GPU and then close everything what's listed (apart from basic Windows functionality like searchapp.exe or textinput.exe), it's the only way I can bring it down to 210Mhz. So it seems like pretty much anything that uses GPU automatically forces it to run at boost clock (1755Mhz in my case) and overheat. My understading is, and you guys probably can confirm, that 'prefer maximum power' should not force the clock to run at boost at all times; instead, it should downclock accordingly. Otherwise, and that's the case with my card right now, using basic text editor like VSCode causes the card to overheat and draw 100W of power. I no longer think that this has anything to do with Windows. My suspicion now is either nvidia driver (but...just like that? Ceased to work correctly overnight?) or just hardware issue, especially that I had some issues with it the moment I got it - the pins on my RTX 3080 sat too low to be able to connect 8pins (common problem), and I had to tear the card down and push the wires forward.

post edited by colma11 - 2020/12/03 06:07:27
Juicebot
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/04 14:44:25 (permalink)
Thank you! I didn't realize playing around with broadcast would lock the 3090 to 1800, your simple post fixed my morning aggravation! 
selarom
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/04 15:28:59 (permalink)
Hello All,

Ok so I finally made it to get out of being stuck at boost. For me what worked was two things. 

1) Removing MSI Dragon CEnter
2) Removing the driver with DDU and using NVCleanstall to only install display driver and physx driver and HDMI audio (only becauase I do use it)

After that, and a reboot I get idle 210 clock speeds... I may do something that boosts the GPU to 3d but then it backs down to 210 

Hope this helps.

post edited by selarom - 2020/12/04 15:38:06

Attached Image(s)

selarom
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/04 17:14:34 (permalink)
colma11

I did some further testing, and honestly, I'm more confused than I was before. My PC boots up with 210Mhz clock with "maximum performance mode" on, but using pretty much any program that has practically 0 load on the GPU, will cause the clock to run at 1755Mhz. Like: Visual Studio Code (which is basically a text editor), Windows mail app, MS Teams even mouse software GUI.

At this stage I decided I'd stick to to the optimal/adaptive setting and just put 'max performance' on games only. This way it works alright, but I'm still worried I could run global max performance with no problems for weeks til recently.

edit: I found that if I do NVCP -> Desktop -> Display GPU Activity Icon in notification area, open up the tray icon that shows everything that has impact on GPU and then close everything what's listed (apart from basic Windows functionality like searchapp.exe or textinput.exe), it's the only way I can bring it down to 210Mhz. So it seems like pretty much anything that uses GPU automatically forces it to run at boost clock (1755Mhz in my case) and overheat. My understading is, and you guys probably can confirm, that 'prefer maximum power' should not force the clock to run at boost at all times; instead, it should downclock accordingly. Otherwise, and that's the case with my card right now, using basic text editor like VSCode causes the card to overheat and draw 100W of power. I no longer think that this has anything to do with Windows. My suspicion now is either nvidia driver (but...just like that? Ceased to work correctly overnight?) or just hardware issue, especially that I had some issues with it the moment I got it - the pins on my RTX 3080 sat too low to be able to connect 8pins (common problem), and I had to tear the card down and push the wires forward.

I must also add to your findings. My previous post is basically null and what I have found is exactly the same as you... Setting up adaptive power does fix the issue and now I have to hunt down the executables to make all my games run on High Performance. That sucks! I hope everyone else has the same behavior so we can call this an identified issue..

NVIDIA could easily fix this with a driver update
colma11
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/05 04:19:55 (permalink)
selarom
I must also add to your findings. My previous post is basically null and what I have found is exactly the same as you... Setting up adaptive power does fix the issue and now I have to hunt down the executables to make all my games run on High Performance. That sucks! I hope everyone else has the same behavior so we can call this an identified issue..

Hi,

are you running i7-10700K CPU by any chance? I'm also posting on overclockers forum, and some user who's having the same problem where the GPU won't downclock correctly, is also running that CPU. So maaaaaybe that's related somehow.

selarom
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/05 05:56:58 (permalink)
colma11
selarom

Hi,

are you running i7-10700K CPU by any chance? I'm also posting on overclockers forum, and some user who's having the same problem where the GPU won't downclock correctly, is also running that CPU. So maaaaaybe that's related somehow.

Hello,

I am running a Ryzen 7 3800x [for now]
parasitegod
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/05 07:59:53 (permalink)
selarom
Hello All,

Ok so I finally made it to get out of being stuck at boost. For me what worked was two things. 

1) Removing MSI Dragon CEnter
2) Removing the driver with DDU and using NVCleanstall to only install display driver and physx driver and HDMI audio (only becauase I do use it)

After that, and a reboot I get idle 210 clock speeds... I may do something that boosts the GPU to 3d but then it backs down to 210 

Hope this helps.

This method worked for me as well (3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming). We'll see how long it lasts.
Murk02
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/07 00:12:22 (permalink)
This is a great thread. I have an EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 that I purchased about a week ago. Since the time of use, it's been great. Today, I stress tested the card with MSI Afterburner and MSI Kombuster and seemed to perform well during the tests. Although after gaming with some friends on Rocket League later tonight, I noticed I was getting the "stuck clock issues" at idle.

I tried everything from the start of this thread pretty much. Multiple Display power saver with Nvidia Inspector, clean install of new drivers, switching 144 to 120Hz on my dual monitors, and all with no luck it seemed.
However, I did turn off Gsync in NVCP and it finally unlocked from 9105MHz to 405MHz at idle.
At idle, it is now 210MHz core clock and 405MHz memory clock.

Another thing I noticed, not sure if unusual or not, when underload and playing a game now after this stuck clock issue, my core clock and memory clock max out seemingly all the time. Roughly 1755MHz (boost) for core, and 9105MHz for memory clock consistently. This causes concern for temps as it wasnt even for a long duration. It makes me worried. Moreover,  I don't believe this happened for the first few days I used this card from a little over a week ago to today. In NVCP, I have the 3D settings at "Optimal Power." I switched to Adaptive and still had the same results with very high core and memory clocks with no overclocking. Is this normal? I feel like its dumping all its power now and wasn't before? It's very weird but I am not sure what would be causing it.

My current specs are
Intel i7-7700K
EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 - Driver Version 457.51
MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
1-Acer Nitro XV273k @4k 120hz  2- BenQ XL2420TE 1080p 144hz (now 120hz).
post edited by Murk02 - 2020/12/07 00:14:43
bradleynowell96
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/08 15:13:08 (permalink)
I'm having problems too, but it looks like the EVGA cards just don't keep cool as others. First time I've ever regretted buying one. I had a Gigabyte 3080 that stayed at around 68 degrees under load with normal fans and an good overclock. My FTW3 on the other hand without an overclock AND fans set to 100% gets to high 70s/early 80s and just continues to downclock and become hotter. Ridiculous in my opinion. Contacted EVGA they just said it's "normal" for this card. Wish I knew beforehand I would have kept my Gigabyte.
Nivekpro
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/13 15:57:49 (permalink)
bradleynowell96
I'm having problems too, but it looks like the EVGA cards just don't keep cool as others. First time I've ever regretted buying one. I had a Gigabyte 3080 that stayed at around 68 degrees under load with normal fans and an good overclock. My FTW3 on the other hand without an overclock AND fans set to 100% gets to high 70s/early 80s and just continues to downclock and become hotter. Ridiculous in my opinion. Contacted EVGA they just said it's "normal" for this card. Wish I knew beforehand I would have kept my Gigabyte.

It's because your GPU comes factory overclocked. So the voltage curve is a lot higher than standard cards. Undervolting my XC3 and raising the fans so they don't turn off by default drastically helped my temps. I always stay under 70C now even under full load for hours, usually staying around 65C. I think they default the voltage to stay higher so you get more performance and they must think it's safe for the card. But I prefer much lower temps and a stable clock.
post edited by Nivekpro - 2020/12/13 16:00:47
gchen749
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/13 16:30:14 (permalink)
I had dual monitor setup.  UW and a 4k 144 hz .  Once I removed Nvidia Broadcast, the GPU stopped being pegged at 1800 mhz.  Thanks to the people in this thread for pointing that out ..Saved me a bit of headache !
Tahz1
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/14 06:07:19 (permalink)
Did you guys manage to fix this issue? Mine is still stuck at 1755mhz while idle
gchen749
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/14 09:41:42 (permalink)
Tahz1
Did you guys manage to fix this issue? Mine is still stuck at 1755mhz while idle

A number of us were able to remedy this idling issue.  If you look through the thread, you can try and see which works for you 
willyyyg
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/14 16:02:35 (permalink)
Omoeba
This is normal when Nvidia Broadcast / RTX Voice is running

This worked for me, thanks!
ctn2mb
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/16 15:07:47 (permalink)
whens the last time you re-installed windows? 
fugly16
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: Stuck at MAX GPU & Mem clock at Windows desktop idle. 2020/12/17 07:44:06 (permalink)
Did OP figure out his issue yet?  My suggestions for people that run into this is to check to see if under power management they have "Prefer Maximum Performance" enabled instead of "Normal".

Or that they have Nvidia broadcast/RTX voice installed.  When the mic filtering is enable it won't drop the clock on the gpu.

Change these settings and reboot.

3080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid 
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile