Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
LFaWolf
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1795
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2017/04/05 08:25:26 (permalink)
I just want to vent of my string of bad luck buying used computer hardware.

1. Bought a motherboard from eBay with slight blurry pictures of the CPU socket visible. No bent pins. Seller shipped late and the board arrived with many bent pins (why?). After back and forth with seller accusing me of dropping the CPU, I had to get eBay to refund.
2. Bought 1 SSD from eBay. It was a scam attempt from China, even though address was listed in US. I had to get eBay to refund.
3. Bought 1 SSD from a Hard forum member. Seller refunded the next day and gave some excuse of the laptop HDD dying. Actually I believe seller under-priced it and regretted. Member had over 100+ all positive Heatware.
4. Attempted to buy a MB+CPU+cooler combo from an Overclockers forum member. Seller pulled bait and switch, twice! Saying his son sold the combo somewhere else (and deleted the original listing), tried to sell me something more. I said yes, then the next day said he changed his mind, tried to sell me another combo for even higher price, and priced above market. And then sent me sarcastic PMs until I called him out on it. Then he sort of apologized and tried to bribe me with a used video card to say that I won in his give-away (I will have to pay for shipping). I refused. Sigh 
5. Tried to buy a batch of PSUs from a reviewer. The price negotiation came down to a difference of a measly $25, but seller won't budge. You got them for free! My goodness. Would you rather just ship them one by one? Apparently now seller would rather them be recycled than selling them. I am like, what?
6. Bought 1 SSD from eBay. It was a scam attempt from China, even though address was listed in US. I had to get eBay to refund. No this is not a typo from (2). It was another transaction.
7. Tried to buy a batch of fans from another Overclockers forum member. Seller insisted on $9 per fan, instead of $8. This is for 10+ fans, but seller would rather sell and ship them 1 by 1. People have too much free time now?   Just shipping alone will cost seller more than a $1.
8. Bought a CPU and case from Newegg. They arrived but were stolen before I got home. Filed resolution with Newegg. After 1 week it was approved, and so far still has not been credited back to my gift cards. This now 2 weeks already. Newegg is also giving me the run around regarding its accounting department, and I am a Premier member! I for sure will not renew my Premier membership.
9. Bought a motherboard from another Overclockers forum member. We agreed that he/she could ship 3 days (Saturday) after I paid. Said 3 days passed, nothing. On 5th day (Monday) I sent PM, nothing. On 6th day PM again, nothing. Open Paypal claim that night, finally got PM back. Sent me sarcastic PM and was upset with my Paypal claim. Said about busy with kids, etc. Said now worried that I will find faults with MB to blame seller, and gave me of attitude of "whatever, get Paypal to refund you". Escalated to Paypal and currently waiting for judgement. Member had over 100+ all positive Heatware!

All of these happened within the last 2 months. I think I am done buying used hardware or maybe even from Newegg. I lost trust in people selling used hardware. I think Heatware is useless. People don't report bad transactions for whatever reasons (retribution?)

And yes, laugh at my misfortune, but never pay with Paypal gifts, regardless of how many positive feedback people have. Good thing I never do that. Do not trust people. 
post edited by LFaWolf - 2017/04/05 08:27:04

32 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31064
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 08:47:02 (permalink)
    Dang - seriously bad experience

There is only so much you can do with email and feedback to get a feel for a seller

I usually ask a few pointed questions; if seller gives a generic answer or is slow to respond - I take that as a sign to move on

I have had really good experiences with the EVGA Marketplace

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 08:51:27 (permalink)
    I had bad experience with an EVGA marketplace seller that sold me defective memory. I had to RMA through G.Skill but G.Skill came through with the RMA (unlike Kingston which requires an invoice/receipt). I later found out that the same seller scammed 3 people (or more) out of money from Hard Forums. Lucky me I guess.

robbysites
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1978
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 08:52:22 (permalink)
    LFaWolf
    I just want to vent of my string of bad luck buying used computer hardware.

1. Bought a motherboard from eBay with slight blurry pictures of the CPU socket visible. No bent pins. Seller shipped late and the board arrived with many bent pins (why?). After back and forth with seller accusing me of dropping the CPU, I had to get eBay to refund.
    2. Bought 1 SSD from eBay. It was a scam attempt from China, even though address was listed in US. I had to get eBay to refund.
    3. Bought 1 SSD from a Hard forum member. Seller refunded the next day and gave some excuse of the laptop HDD dying. Actually I believe seller under-priced it and regretted. Member had over 100+ all positive Heatware.
    4. Attempted to buy a MB+CPU+cooler combo from an Overclockers forum member. Seller pulled bait and switch, twice! Saying his son sold the combo somewhere else (and deleted the original listing), tried to sell me something more. I said yes, then the next day said he changed his mind, tried to sell me another combo for even higher price, and priced above market. And then sent me sarcastic PMs until I called him out on it. Then he sort of apologized and tried to bribe me with a used video card to say that I won in his give-away (I will have to pay for shipping). I refused. Sigh 
    5. Tried to buy a batch of PSUs from a reviewer. The price negotiation came down to a difference of a measly $25, but seller won't budge. You got them for free! My goodness. Would you rather just ship them one by one? Apparently now seller would rather them be recycled than selling them. I am like, what?
    6. Bought 1 SSD from eBay. It was a scam attempt from China, even though address was listed in US. I had to get eBay to refund. No this is not a typo from (2). It was another transaction.
    7. Tried to buy a batch of fans from another Overclockers forum member. Seller insisted on $9 per fan, instead of $8. This is for 10+ fans, but seller would rather sell and ship them 1 by 1. People have too much free time now?   Just shipping alone will cost seller more than a $1.
    8. Bought a CPU and case from Newegg. They arrived but were stolen before I got home. Filed resolution with Newegg. After 1 week it was approved, and so far still has not been credited back to my gift cards. This now 2 weeks already. Newegg is also giving me the run around regarding its accounting department, and I am a Premier member! I for sure will not renew my Premier membership.
    9. Bought a motherboard from another Overclockers forum member. We agreed that he/she could ship 3 days (Saturday) after I paid. Said 3 days passed, nothing. On 5th day (Monday) I sent PM, nothing. On 6th day PM again, nothing. Open Paypal claim that night, finally got PM back. Sent me sarcastic PM and was upset with my Paypal claim. Said about busy with kids, etc. Said now worried that I will find faults with MB to blame seller, and gave me of attitude of "whatever, get Paypal to refund you". Escalated to Paypal and currently waiting for judgement. Member had over 100+ all positive Heatware!

All of these happened within the last 2 months. I think I am done buying used hardware or maybe even from Newegg. I lost trust in people selling used hardware. I think Heatware is useless. People don't report bad transactions for whatever reasons (retribution?)

And yes, laugh at my misfortune, but never pay with Paypal gifts, regardless of how many positive feedback people have. Good thing I never do that. Do not trust people. 

That is a real spate of bad luck. I order from new egg and wish.com but I have never had such a bad time. Number 6 and number 2 - Did this happen at the same time? It is the only way it would make sense.
    rs

MY AFFILIATE CODE-000H94333W

LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 08:56:56 (permalink)
    For (2) and (6), happened 1 day apart, different seller. I see tons of scam attempt now from sellers on eBay. I will stick with Amazon (not marketplace) for now.

robbysites
    FTW Member
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 09:23:56 (permalink)
    i have purchased a few phones from ebay recently - no problems. I also have purchased some expensive radios $350 USA price from China and they were delivered wrapped like a gift. Same exact brand as sold in the US but much cheaper and transmitted on all frequencies. The same radio purchased in the US transmit only on legal frequencies. I have had no troubles w/Amazon.

Athena
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 328
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 09:40:41 (permalink)
    I gave up buying used items years back.  I guess it is partly from being burned like your story and partly the idea that if there are going to be fries under the seat they are mine.
    robbysites
    FTW Member
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 09:49:12 (permalink)
    Athena
    I gave up buying used items years back.  I guess it is partly from being burned like your story and partly the idea that if there are going to be fries under the seat they are mine.

well said Athena! I have purchased refurbished items from Amazon and only one was DOA - they sent me a replacement fast. I paid 1/4 the price for the item.

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11143
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 09:55:12 (permalink)
    I have had pretty good luck buying used parts. "Knock on wood"
    Would not be able to have as much hardware as I do buying new.
    I ordered a few things from China on ebay, takes a little longer to get here but it always came in good shape.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 10:07:16 (permalink)
    Yeah I have had good deals from China such as some fisheye lens. I am not saying that items from China are bad, but the transactions that I had were stated in US but money was sent to China. The sellers never ship. Those were obvious scams.

WackyWRZ
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 603
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 10:18:41 (permalink)
    I've had good luck both buying and selling used parts too.  I hate selling on eBay because (outside of the high fees) they seem to side with the buyer 99% of the time if an issue comes up - even if there's good proof.  I've been burned a few times selling something on there that has shied me away.  That said I feel relatively safe buying - and have bought quite a few (15+) used items in the past few months and had relatively little issue.  I've had 3 issues - one item came not working (auto-loader tape drive), another item damaged in shipping, and a server was completely missing the PERC RAID card which it was advertised to have.  All three incidents were resolved completely without having to involve eBay or PayPal.  When it comes to cell phones I like to use Swappa.  Lower fees, checked ESNs, etc...  Amazon Warehouse Deals is usually a solid bet to get a good discount off a new item as well.  They list as "used" but it usually is just damaged packaging.  I also prefer to buy refurbished items when possible.  

I've see a TON of these SSD scams on eBay the last week or two when I was looking for a server SSD.  Go search a SSD and you'll find a bunch of new listings - the seller has little to no feedback, and they always have a QTY of 5.  I've reported several individual auctions to eBay as I come across them but a week later they're still there...

No reason to laugh at your misfortune!  There's so much crap that goes on these days - it's annoying to see it happen to others.  At some level though I think it's a calculated risk we take buying used and some amount of "headache" is to be expected.
    post edited by WackyWRZ - 2017/04/05 12:48:50

CASE: Anidees AI Crystal XL | MOBO: ASUS X470 Crosshair VII | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 2x8GB B-Die | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME 1TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 | GPU: AMD RX5700 XT | MON: AOC CU34G2X 1440p/144hz 34" Ultrawide + Dell S2716DG 1440p/144Hz | Cooling: Full custom loop, Heatkiller D5 150, Aquacomputer D5 Next + Quadro, EK Supremacy Evo, EK Coolstream PE 480, Bykski 5700XT | HEAT: 20-0-0 - http://www.heatware.com/u/104452

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10347
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 10:52:59 (permalink)
    That is pretty crappy LFaWolf, it would be beyond frustrating. Fortunately, I have only had a couple deals that had issues. 99% have been through our own marketplace. Sorry to hear you have been through the ringer lately. I'm like Bill, it's either second hand or wait to afford. 
    jeffro66
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6912
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 12:22:49 (permalink)
    sorry for all the trouble that's very crappy you know you can count on most us evga guys to not try and hoodoo you i'm liking heatware marketplace to but like to never got my rival 700 mouse but was like new when he finally shipped it but I believe frozencpu is getting there act back together to.
    I hope you get all your money back without headaches

case;Phanteks Enthoo 719 High Performance Full Tower  i9-12900ks MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI kingston fury beast 64gig rgb ddr5
     lian li 360b galahad aio
     ,Nvidia RTX4090 FE
    ,super flower 1000 platinium power supply,wd black M.2 2TB NVMe,windows11 -LG ultragear 38 inch ips monitor 
    LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 13:31:43 (permalink)
    WackyWRZ
    I've had good luck both buying and selling used parts too.  I hate selling on eBay because (outside of the high fees) they seem to side with the buyer 99% of the time if an issue comes up - even if there's good proof.  I've been burned a few times selling something on there that has shied me away.  That said I feel relatively safe buying - and have bought quite a few (15+) used items in the past few months and had relatively little issue.  I've had 3 issues - one item came not working (auto-loader tape drive), another item damaged in shipping, and a server was completely missing the PERC RAID card which it was advertised to have.  All three incidents were resolved completely without having to involve eBay or PayPal.  When it comes to cell phones I like to use Swappa.  Lower fees, checked ESNs, etc...  Amazon Warehouse Deals is usually a solid bet to get a good discount off a new item as well.  They list as "used" but it usually is just damaged packaging.  I also prefer to buy refurbished items when possible.  

I've see a TON of these SSD scams on eBay the last week or two when I was looking for a server SSD.  Go search a SSD and you'll find a bunch of new listings - the seller has little to no feedback, and they always have a QTY of 5.  I've reported several individual auctions to eBay as I come across them but a week later they're still there...

No reason to laugh at your misfortune!  There's so much crap that goes on these days - it's annoying to see it happen to others.  At some level though I think it's a calculated risk we take buying used and some amount of "headache" is to be expected.

Whoa I searched for my Samsung 850 SSD and wow, so many sellers with 0 feedback selling 5 at below even used market price. So obvious scams!

Yeah I bought quite a bit of used hardware as I need a lot and I seldom have problems with used hardware. But now, I think I am done, unless it is from someone very reputable, like jeffro or notfordman? Or long time EVGA members posted here 

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11143
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 13:55:50 (permalink)
    I stand behind what I sell.
    Treat people the way you want to be treated.
    What goes around, comes around. Karma stinks!

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/05 18:29:30 (permalink)
    That is why I will only ever buy or sell used on here. To risky anywhere else.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/06 14:57:56 (permalink)
    Hard to follow, but #9 sounds like you might have made the issue yourself. I know if someone opened a paypal dispute if I was 3 days late shipping something I'd be upset as well. Have some chill.
    LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/06 17:24:46 (permalink)
    somethingc00l
    Hard to follow, but #9 sounds like you might have made the issue yourself. I know if someone opened a paypal dispute if I was 3 days late shipping something I'd be upset as well. Have some chill.

No response from 2 PMs for 2 days as well.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/06 19:00:19 (permalink)

Moving to General Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/06 23:03:58 (permalink)
    LFaWolf
    somethingc00l

If I'm not going to ship when I say I'm going to ship I keep the person apprised of the situation. No excuse. Takes less than 5 minutes to send a PM.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2884
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/07 04:45:49 (permalink)
    I have been buying and selling used parts here for several (6+)years.  Only had a few bad items but sellers have been willing to take care of it, and I have always done my best standing by what I sell.  Bought some items off of [H] as well but never had enough rep to sell over there.  I am pretty sure I got scammed selling some mobos on Ebay as the buyer claimed they didn't work but never sent them back.  That's was the last time I really sold anything on there.  I have listed some items since then but usually I list them here too and they sell here faster than on ebay.
    nycalex80
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/08 13:41:04 (permalink)
    now don't get me wrong, but maybe you were too focused on the price of the items?

it seems you were going for the absolute cheapest ones on ebay, and correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

sometimes you just gotta walk away from a deal when the deal seems...........fishy.

i just completed 2 builds using mostly used parts bought from hard forums. each build took me about 3-4 months of planning + buying the right items at reasonable costs. i wasn't in a hurry, so i was walking away at anything that was: 1) too good to be true 2) low feedback seller 3) funny PMs.

i got burned only once, with a motherboard with bent pins which cost me $110 from ASUS to get it replaced. yeah, no kidding. Asus charged me $110 to fix some bent pins. and i paid it, cuz the darn board was impossible to find elsewhere and ebay sellers were charging $250+ for it. it's a maximus vii impact if you are wondering (z97). and just cuz i wanted to use my leftover 950 nvme drive in a itx build, lol.

Main Gaming Rig:  
    Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 orange edition
    Asus ROG maximus viii hero
    I7 6700k @ 4.5 1.26v
    NZXT Kraken X62 cpu cooler
    32gb Gskill trident Z
    Evga supernova P2 1000w
    Evga GTX 1080 TI + evga hybrid kit. 2025 OC.
    500 gb samsung 960 Pro nvme ssd
    500gb samsung 850evo x 2 in raid 0
    Hitachi X300 6tb HDD
    WD black 2tb
    absolutelly ZERO cable management (i'm too lazy)

LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/08 14:13:37 (permalink)
    nycalex80
    now don't get me wrong, but maybe you were too focused on the price of the items?

it seems you were going for the absolute cheapest ones on ebay, and correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

sometimes you just gotta walk away from a deal when the deal seems...........fishy.

i just completed 2 builds using mostly used parts bought from hard forums. each build took me about 3-4 months of planning + buying the right items at reasonable costs. i wasn't in a hurry, so i was walking away at anything that was: 1) too good to be true 2) low feedback seller 3) funny PMs.

i got burned only once, with a motherboard with bent pins which cost me $110 from ASUS to get it replaced. yeah, no kidding. Asus charged me $110 to fix some bent pins. and i paid it, cuz the darn board was impossible to find elsewhere and ebay sellers were charging $250+ for it. it's a maximus vii impact if you are wondering (z97). and just cuz i wanted to use my leftover 950 nvme drive in a itx build, lol.

Yeah you are correct, at times I look for great deals, which means most bangs for the bucks for certain items. I did get quite a few good deals, but as the more deals you do, the higher chance of getting burnt. So far I am out also about $120 in the last 2 months.

• Total Posts : 59
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/08 16:39:59 (permalink)
    Sometimes situations keeps coming back until one learns his lessons. On the other hand, sometimes life is a b. 
    Used items is a no go for me.

I shop more wisely right now, try my very best to stick to one place if I could find most of the things I need there. If there's no reviews, I won't touch it! I think that's why I kind of like Amazon for example. 
    Some of us feels more comfortable buying something "new" than used though. 

You'll get through mate. 

nycalex80
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/08 16:50:49 (permalink)
    NPNiles
    Sometimes situations keeps coming back until one learns his lessons. On the other hand, sometimes life is a b. 
    Used items is a no go for me.

I shop more wisely right now, try my very best to stick to one place if I could find most of the things I need there. If there's no reviews, I won't touch it! I think that's why I kind of like Amazon for example. 
    Some of us feels more comfortable buying something "new" than used though. 

You'll get through mate. 

oh yeah, when in doubt, just buy new. the ease of mind is often times worth it.

on my main rig, i only buy new.

but i like to keep a backup gaming rig in case anything goes wrong with my main or if i have to step up my GPU.......cuz i'm too lazy to swap GPUs LOL. but i love building systems, the planning, the thermal paste applying (i'm old-school i like to do the good old credit card to apply evenly), and just putting stuff together in general.

i grew up with legos, i just like putting things together.

Main Gaming Rig:  
    Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 orange edition
    Asus ROG maximus viii hero
    I7 6700k @ 4.5 1.26v
    NZXT Kraken X62 cpu cooler
    32gb Gskill trident Z
    Evga supernova P2 1000w
    Evga GTX 1080 TI + evga hybrid kit. 2025 OC.
    500 gb samsung 960 Pro nvme ssd
    500gb samsung 850evo x 2 in raid 0
    Hitachi X300 6tb HDD
    WD black 2tb
    absolutelly ZERO cable management (i'm too lazy)

LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/08 17:13:19 (permalink)
    loveha
    LFaWolf
    somethingc00l

If I'm not going to ship when I say I'm going to ship I keep the person apprised of the situation. No excuse. Takes less than 5 minutes to send a PM.

We have no issue with the transaction that we did, that is for sure 
    Oh yeah, live and learn. 

maxfly
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/13 03:58:16 (permalink)
    ive been buying and selling gear for a looong time on several forums including this and ive only ever had one issue and it was my own fault! for selling a psu to a knucklehead. dude killed my brand new psu and played it off like it was doa because of shipping damage. of course i couldnt prove it so i returned his money blah blah blah. anyhow a few ways to feel someone out is to
    A. talk to the people he has feedback with if you dont feel right about something(heatware).
    B. talk to the mods at the forums he frequents. investigate his profile.
    C. like the saying goes, if it sounds to good to be true...

as far as ebay? i have never had a problem with ebay surprisingly. probably because ive never sold anything with them. although i have bought a lot off of ebay. matter of fact i just bought a new laptop battery from shenzen china! got it in 10 days and it works great! saved that company to my favs hahaha. ill admit i had my fingers crossed on that one.

GL in the future Wolf. itll turn around for ya ;)

I7 8086K- MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC-2x GTX 980 TI
    4x8GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000c19
    Samsung 500GB 960 EVO NVMe M.2
    WD Blue 1TB- EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    Thermaltake X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
    EK Supremacy EVO Nickel- EK-FC980 GTX TI x2
    XSPC RX360- HWLabs SR2 420- HWLabs GTR 240

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18947
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/16 23:33:27 (permalink)

EBay is just asking for trouble imho.. last port of call even for selling stuff imho - scammers can often be buyers as well as sellers. Over the years my "scammed rate" with EBay is around 50% of all transactions.

For years I have dealt almost exclusively through the EVGA marketplace, but the last year or two it has also been going downhill to some extent with somewhat extreme low-balling and I've had a couple of issues with individuals not paying or not sending items I've paid for, but it's only a small percentage of total transactions. EVGA is still my first port of call, but I tend to buy new now and avoid the headaches, and when selling items I try to deal only with people I've dealt with previously whenever possible.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

JJ77ply1
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/17 08:50:11 (permalink)
    Would you wish for a buyer rating as well as a seller rating? The seller being able to rate the transaction also. Using this you can avoid any potential problems with the 'customer' and avoid selling to them altogether.

At bit like 'firing' a client because they ask you to cut corners, but they still expect the same quality in a shorter amount of time.

AMD Ryzen 1800X
    MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM
    Asus STRIX 960 4GB SLI 2-Way SLI
    32GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200Mhz
    Samsung 950 EVO 256GB(OS)/WD Black 4TB
    Corsair AX860i
    Cooler Master Storm Stryker

LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    Re: String of bad luck buying (used) hardware 2017/04/17 09:53:44 (permalink)
    JJ77ply1
    Would you wish for a buyer rating as well as a seller rating? The seller being able to rate the transaction also. Using this you can avoid any potential problems with the 'customer' and avoid selling to them altogether.

At bit like 'firing' a client because they ask you to cut corners, but they still expect the same quality in a shorter amount of time.

Yeah I would advocate a separate rating for seller and buyer, although on Heatware it does distinguish the 2. 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile