EVGA

AnsweredRed Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 33
Author
JustusLM
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 12:20:03 (permalink)
cyrilp
Good news SLI is working great, i'm getting 84fps @4K with everything to ultra and MSAA *2

setting MSAA to *2 made the snow/tree flickering in the benchmark disappear !!

(2 2080ti 9900K 128Go Ram)

only downside of Sli: doesn't work with dx12 and i didn't find how to run reshade with Vulkan

for vulkan/reshade you have to start the game from a .bat file but rdr2 needs to be launched from the launcher :-(
i have tried to replace rdr2.exe in the batch with the launcher: it almost works, when you run rdr2 from the launcher the game start with reshade but i'm getting a "video error for social club" and have to close the game :-(
I have tried to change the reshade key from "home" to something else as the "home" button is the one used for social club but it didn't help :-(

So, I just tried using 2xMSAA because this sounded good.
Now, my result is this:
The flickering is much weaker, but it's still there.
My guess is that, as there will be multiple samples calculated for many pixels, in some the flicker is bright, in others dark, and this averages out to a value much closer to the real one, reducing the flickering.

In any case, I now switched from TAA High and FXAA to TAA Medium and 2xMSAA, which I feel still leads to decent AA quality, reduces flickering, and gave me 8 more FPS.
So thanks for the tip! It's still not perfect but certainly an improvement!
post edited by JustusLM - 2019/11/07 12:30:22
boylerya
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 12:25:43 (permalink)
I wonder if SLI will prevent HDR from working whenever that is implemented.

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
Garlic is the Antichrist.
the_sextein
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 12:26:22 (permalink)
Hello, could you be a little more descriptive about how to get this to work?  I understand how to export all profiles as a text file and then alter it and import it back in via inspecter.  I did that with the first profile offered.  The second one from JustusLM, I can't seem to get it to work.  I tried using the tool suggested and it erased my entire profile base but did seem to import something.  It didn't work though.  I know how to remove the RDR.exe from it's profile and understand that there is a gobal profile settings as well but I can't really make out how I'm supposed to import the profile you provided.
Radeon123
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 12:32:06 (permalink)
To everyone who has gotten this to work are you using the latest 441.12 driver?

Will try to get it working again shortly On my 2x 2080 Ti's as I only end up having the game either crash to the desktop or hardlocks on a black screen when using both of those profiles, I can never continue the story or even run the benchmark. Definitely seeing it work in the menus though.

2x RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, 9900K @ 5.0Ghz, Asus Z370 Formula X (BIOS 2203), 2x 16GB Hyper Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, Corsair AX860i 860w, Samsung EVO 860 2TB
hexum23
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 12:35:23 (permalink)
the_sextein
Hello, could you be a little more descriptive about how to get this to work?  I understand how to export all profiles as a text file and then alter it and import it back in via inspecter.  I did that with the first profile offered.  The second one from JustusLM, I can't seem to get it to work.  I tried using the tool suggested and it erased my entire profile base but did seem to import something.  It didn't work though.  I know how to remove the RDR.exe from it's profile and understand that there is a gobal profile settings as well but I can't really make out how I'm supposed to import the profile you provided.

When I was playing around with different settings last night the profile disappeared as well, from both nvinspector and the exported txt file. Had to reinstall the latest driver to get the RDR2 profile back. If that doesn’t work for you, maybe try the clean install function.

Once you find the RDR 2 info in the exported TXT, just copy and paste either of the profiles in this thread over the existing RDR2 text, save the TXT file, and then import the file back using the tool Sajin linked.
post edited by hexum23 - 2019/11/07 12:43:22

9900K@5.0/1.29 - 2x2080ti FE - 32GB 4600MHz Trident Z - 905p Optane 960GB - 970 Evo 2TB - WD Black 1TB NVMe - MSI Z390 Godlike - X35 - X27 - PG279Q
Applacy
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 12:44:54 (permalink)
JustusLM
Applacy
yeah i did... im using single card now as the flickering was too bad to play with.

Did you try both profiles?
I had flickering everywhere with Sajin's, but only in the snow with mine (still haven't actually played yet, though, only ran the benchmark).

yeah i tried yours too, there only was flickering in snow, as you said, but also in specific lightnings like a foggy sunrise for example, where the complete sky went disco.
cyrilp
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 12:47:10 (permalink)
JustusLM
Applacy
yeah i did... im using single card now as the flickering was too bad to play with.

I had flickering everywhere with Sajin's, but only in the snow with mine (still haven't actually played yet, though, only ran the benchmark).

once in game with your profile i don't have any flickering.
and if i set smaa to 2x or more no more flickering in the benchmark
Applacy
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 12:52:58 (permalink)
Applacy
cyrilp
JustusLM
Applacy

once in game with your profile i don't have any flickering.
and if i set smaa to 2x or more no more flickering in the benchmark

i'll try it again, i am not sure if i tested smaa there... thanks for the hint.
Also i wanted to mention, how glad i am that there are so many here in this post and even getting more to work on the problem :)! thanks guys

Tried it again now, single card was ~60fps, using Justus' profile it turns white without changes, so i turned TAA to medium... result was 40fps in SLI at everything low/medium and flickering...
Also tried Sajin's profile again, and it seems that im not getting any gain from any profile... So im going back to single gpu again.
post edited by Applacy - 2019/11/07 14:43:45
ring0r
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 12:57:17 (permalink)
im not able to add the Profile.txt file after i export it... can you share maybe settings?

got it :)
post edited by ring0r - 2019/11/07 13:03:46
the_sextein
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 13:00:51 (permalink)
So, I've got both profiles installed as I can see in Inspector that the RDR2 profile now has assassin's creed settings and a selection of other custom options enabled.  The problem is that neither of these profiles activate my second GPU.  I tried them both using Vulkan and it doesn't work at all on my setup.  I'm using 2X 1080TI's.  With HDR enabled the menu's would flicker and then the game would crash when it was supposed to load.  With HDR disabled I get no flickering anywhere but also no GPU usage from the second card.  

It blows my mind that this engine had 90% scaling with GTA 5 and they made a DX11 version for console but chose to waste time and energy building a Vulkan path while leaving out DX11 on the PC.  Combine that with Microsoft's full screen optimizations and DX12 breaking SLI support across the board.  I'm starting to think these guys are trying to kill off SLI on purpose.  I don't know if it's Nvidia trying to sell more RTX cards or developers that are pissed at Nvidia.  It's total BS for paying customers.
post edited by the_sextein - 2019/11/07 13:06:15
SirNLeo
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 14:00:18 (permalink)
JustusLM
SirNLeo
Im not having much luck with it and im also running 2 1080s. I can apply Sanjis settings and it does nothing, same as single card. When I add yours the game crashes back to the main menu after attempting to run the benchmark. Is there a way you could upload the actual file somewhere. I have a feeling maybe my file is messed up im importing back in after applying your changes. 

Are you using Vulkan?
It does not work with DX12, and the issues you describe are exactly what happens when you use Sajin's profile or mine in DX12.

Im using Vulkan. It actually only crashes back to the main menu if I have any sort of AA enabled. AA off the benchmark loads but only 1 card works. 
davidstone83
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 15:47:38 (permalink)
So I tried Justus's profile using the import tool. It crashed the first time then the second time it added snow to all of the scenes on the benchmark. How do i undo it? 

davidstone83
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 16:05:17 (permalink)
That is so weird every scene on the benchmark is snowing. Even when he ridse the carriage into the swap there is snow and it leaves trails on the ground and on the carriage snow is piling up. Not sure how to undo this. 
Murlin__
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 16:09:39 (permalink)
Running two 1070's. Got both cards running on my system. Game looks great and frame read-out is good (60-65), however the game feels more like 20 fps than 60. Had similar problems with Vulcan and DOOM 2016 in the past, suspect lack of exclusive fullscreen to be the problem (Ended up using OpenGL for Doom).

When alt tabbing the game it happens instantly as if it was windowed fullscreen. This only happens when i run it with an SLI profile.

On 1 card the screen flashes black and it takes a second to minimize, as it should in exclusive fullscreen, it also plays at the framerate it reads at (get 45 frames, and actually feels like 45, not 20). 

Thanks in advance if anyone has any idea! :)

JustusLM
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 16:18:12 (permalink)
KnutHansen
It is completely tricky. Every time I try to load the text file with the new profile into the Inspector, it does not work. If I do not make any changes to the file, it works. What's the problem?

It will not work if the Executables are still in the "Read Dead Redemption II" profile as well, which is the original one. Maybe that's the problem.
Try downloading the profile from the link below and importing it individually.

SirNLeo 
Im not having much luck with it and im also running 2 1080s. I can apply Sanjis settings and it does nothing, same as single card. When I add yours the game crashes back to the main menu after attempting to run the benchmark. Is there a way you could upload the actual file somewhere. I have a feeling maybe my file is messed up im importing back in after applying your changes. 

You can download the profile individually here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/a6cdy6r9vzipt1j/RDR2_Sli.nip/file

the_sextein

You can try downloading and importing the profile individually using the link above.

davidstone83
So I tried Justus's profile using the import tool. It crashed the first time then the second time it added snow to all of the scenes on the benchmark. How do i undo it? 

That's not normal. Something is definitely wrong there. The profile changes compatibility bits and that's it. This influences how things are being rendered. It shouldn't be able to change anything about what is being rendered.
In any case, you can undo it by selecting the profile in the Nvidia Profile Inspector. Then, in the top menu, select the profile "RDR2 Custom" (or whatever you renamed it to, if you did) and click the big red X to delete it.
If you have a backup of the uneditet .txt file you can import that to get the original profile ("Red Dead Redemption II") linked to the Executables again. If you don't have a backup, you can add the Executables to it again in the file, just copy that portion from the "RDR2 Custom" profile. If that's too much work, reinstalling the driver (which you can do through the GeForce experience or by running the installer executable again) will reactivate the profile as well if you have deleted mine.

But I beg you not to stop testing. Maybe try importing it with the file I linked above.
You are experiencing a very weird and unique issue that might really be helpful to be investigated.
And it would be awesome if you'd put a recording of how your benchmark looks now on YouTube!
post edited by JustusLM - 2019/11/07 16:20:22
davidstone83
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 16:28:38 (permalink)
how do i import the nip file? When I open nvidia inspector all I get is stats on my cards and nothing else. perhaps i have the wrong program?

ccreon
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 16:29:53 (permalink)
2x1080Ti here, and now played through the intro with JustusLMs profile. It's actually amazing that there is indeed almost a 2x FPS increase measurable here, an SLI pipe dream, if there wouldn't be those severe flickerings of objects. Also, without TXAA it's basically impossible to navigate in most areas as the global illumination goes berserk, as reported by others here.

I really hope someone at Rockstar picks up on that, maybe with some help from NVIDIA. It looks like a low hanging fruit given the fantastic scaling that we already see.
davidstone83
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 16:44:52 (permalink)
I figured out the nip file and the inspector profile tool. Still no SLI and what is happening on the benchmark is storm clouds roll in and it start snowing on every single scene. By the time you exit the store on the final scene it is full on snowing lol. I will try to figure out how to record it. 
JustusLM
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 16:45:43 (permalink)
davidstone83
how do i import the nip file? When I open nvidia inspector all I get is stats on my cards and nothing else. perhaps i have the wrong program?

You do indeed have the wrong program. What you need is the Nvidia Profile Inspector. It's often referred to as Nvidia Inspector because when people know what you mean, it's simply shorter.
But it can lead to misunderstandings like this one.
davidstone83
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 17:00:10 (permalink)
https://youtu.be/dgcpmm6N3Ic

benchmark crashed but on the desert scene you can clearly see the clouds rolling in. It does that on every scene. sorry the video is 1080 but the game is set to 4k
post edited by davidstone83 - 2019/11/07 17:04:00
JustusLM
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 17:25:12 (permalink)
davidstone83

benchmark crashed but on the desert scene you can clearly see the clouds rolling in. It does that on every scene. sorry the video is 1080 but the game is set to 4k

Okay, that really is quite something.
From a technical point of view, I find it interesting that in the second scene, in the forest, the moon breaks through again after a few seconds. Maybe there is more glitchiness going on with the weather than the storm itself.

From a personal point of view, I would love to see the end of this with the snow piled up, just for the visuals of it.
the_sextein
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 17:41:55 (permalink)
JustusLM, thank you very much for uploading that.  Unfortunately it didn't work.  I turned off HDR and set the resolution to 4k using the Volkan path.  I removed the rdr2.exe files from the red dead profile and then I went back to the global settings and imported your profile.  It showed up as RDR2 Custom.  I applied it and ran the game.  SLI works on the menu screens but when the last loading screen passes and I am supposed to be in game....the screen is black and I can hear noises from the environment for a few seconds before it locks up and crashes.
I'm using a 9900K with 32GB of Corsair RAM and the game is installed on an SSD.  I'm using Nvidia's RDR2 game ready drivers.  I feel like I have tried everything.  It either uses only one card or it uses 2 and crashes.  Assigning the RDR2.exe to GTA V get me the same result.  It works in the menu but crashes instantly in game.
post edited by the_sextein - 2019/11/07 17:54:14
Radeon123
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 18:10:58 (permalink)
the_sextein
JustusLM, thank you very much for uploading that.  Unfortunately it didn't work.  I turned off HDR and set the resolution to 4k using the Volkan path.  I removed the rdr2.exe files from the red dead profile and then I went back to the global settings and imported your profile.  It showed up as RDR2 Custom.  I applied it and ran the game.  SLI works on the menu screens but when the last loading screen passes and I am supposed to be in game....the screen is black and I can hear noises from the environment for a few seconds before it locks up and crashes.
I'm using a 9900K with 32GB of Corsair RAM and the game is installed on an SSD.  I'm using Nvidia's RDR2 game ready drivers.  I feel like I have tried everything.  It either uses only one card or it uses 2 and crashes.  Assigning the RDR2.exe to GTA V get me the same result.  It works in the menu but crashes instantly in game.

Exactly the same issue with both profiles and I've not found a way to fix it, menu is great though . Tried the 441.12 drivers and the 441.08 ones, deleted the red dead folder from documents so it had a fresh start. Even gone as far as using DDU to reset my drivers and reinstalling 441.12 just in case there was something not right. Still getting the black screen hardlock. Wonder why this works for some and not others using the same GPU's, nvidia drivers and game version. No issues with SLI in other games even GTA 5 but there is something that red dead seems to hate.

2x RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, 9900K @ 5.0Ghz, Asus Z370 Formula X (BIOS 2203), 2x 16GB Hyper Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, Corsair AX860i 860w, Samsung EVO 860 2TB
the_sextein
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 18:17:12 (permalink)
My cards are founders edition and I'm using a 4K TV.  Those are the only things I can think of that might be different about my setup from anyone else's setup.  I'm surprised to see you having problems with 2080TI's though.  I take it you are using NV link?
Vandiekins
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 18:17:51 (permalink)
I have tried using all kinds of profiles and they all yield the same 98% on both gpus but the fps difference between sli and single is 10-15 fps and with sli i get the massive flickering and blurry image due to AA.
Radeon123
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 18:19:08 (permalink)
I am, been using them since launch and have no issues in any other games that use SLI. I'm also using the reference ones and I also use a 4K TV as my monitor.

davidstone83
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 18:26:53 (permalink)
JustusLM
davidstone83

Okay, that really is quite something.
From a technical point of view, I find it interesting that in the second scene, in the forest, the moon breaks through again after a few seconds. Maybe there is more glitchiness going on with the weather than the storm itself.

From a personal point of view, I would love to see the end of this with the snow piled up, just for the visuals of it.

Here is the second half of the video. https://youtu.be/s9YN48tpi0s
the_sextein
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 18:41:06 (permalink)
Radeon123
I am, been using them since launch and have no issues in any other games that use SLI. I'm also using the reference ones and I also use a 4K TV as my monitor.

I guess I can't blame my HB bridge if you are having the same problem with NV link.  Sure is odd that people are getting different results even with the same cards.
davidstone83
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 19:15:17 (permalink)
No matter what I did I could not get the snow to go away on the benchmark. I have uninstalled and deleted the rockstar documents and will reinstall. 
cyrilp
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: SLI Support 2019/11/07 23:10:08 (permalink)
the_sextein

i'm having the same issue since yesterday evening, i don't understand, everything was ok in the afternoon and now i'm getting this black screen, what the hell ???

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 33
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile