EVGA

Hot!RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 29
Author
Eksu99
  • Total Posts : 81
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/19 05:13:04 (permalink)
Filip1995
Also, wanted to ask everyone who had their card bricked by the waterblock installation. what was your serial number and where was you card made? taiwan or china? Maybe we can identify which factory has the troublesome cards.

My card was 20129 with red lips.

By the way, I opened a RMA ticket with EKWB as their customer service told me to. They seem to have come to a conclusion that the blocks and backplates are okay and the breakdowns are happening during stock cooler removal (as expected pretty much).

Dear XXX,
thank you for contacting us.
We are very sorry for the problem you described.
I just received new information about the EK-Quantum Vector FTW3 RTX 3080/3090 Backplate - Nickel cases and we recommend, that you open an RMA ticket where you purchased the graphics card.
One customer informed us that after a successful RMA replacement of the graphics card and reinstallation of our FTW3 water block, everything works as it should be.
The problem must have occurred while removing the stock cooler.
After you receive a new graphics card from RMA, we recommend that you remove the stock cooler very slowly and carefully. Stock thermal paste and thermal pads are very sticky and can damage the graphics card when removing the air cooler if you are not careful.
If you will have any problems with RMA, please let us know.
Thank you for understanding.
Best regards,
XXX

Spurious_ECG
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/19 06:28:15 (permalink)
Both my 3080/3090 FTW3 Ultra have a TW code so assume that is Taiwan (2040A1). Definitely going with the thermal putty seems like a bad move if that’s the cause. My 3090 did seem more glued to the HC block than my 3080 was to the air cooler. Could be that it was never ran before the removal of the block, so it never warmed and softened up whereas my 3080 was disassembled to repaste after running a few days. That said I was as careful as possible to separate the card. I broke the seal first and didn’t pull straight off or with much force. But it seems like that is the most likely culprit tbh.
post edited by Spurious_ECG - 2021/03/19 06:42:27

DNAJAY
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/19 10:10:27 (permalink)
Filip1995
Also, wanted to ask everyone who had their card bricked by the waterblock installation. what was your serial number and where was you card made? taiwan or china? Maybe we can identify which factory has the troublesome cards.

Mine was a 3080 SN 2014; Red lips. Replaced with 2114; Black lips. Good trade? I think so!

There might be something to removing the original cooler causing the issue. It might even account for the variability in outcomes. I can definitely attest to that for my situation since I actually had a cap pop off, and I certainly wasn’t gorilla hands with it. Thank goodness for EVGA and their CS. Any other brand we’d all be SOL.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/19 10:41:13 (permalink)
temp lock for review

ALL - EVGA Forum members, are reminded to Read & always Follow the Rules & Etiquette requirements   EVGA Forums Terms of Use

unlocking
post edited by Cool GTX - 2021/03/19 10:48:28

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

AJKagan
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 07:54:15 (permalink)
Wanted to throw my name in as another unfortunate person with a failed 3090 FTW3 Ultra after an EK waterblock install.
As many have mentioned here, the install went smoothly, all the pads where checked to be the right size and in the right locations.
I double checked the tension of all the screws to make sure nothing was overly tight. In addition to checking for obvious signs of damage or shorts.
I opened a support ticket with EK and EVGA to try and get to the bottom of it.  I've installed many waterblocks before and this is a first for me. I'm at a loss as for what could have caused it. It was the first part of my loop that I've begun to assemble and now I'm hesitant to even install the mono block from EK on the motherboard.

Has anyone heard anything definitive from either EK or EVGA on what might be causing these?

Specs:
Mobo - ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU - AMD 5950x
RAM - G.SKill 64GB kit
Case - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
PSU - EVGA 1000T2
GPU - EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra (SN:2012 - made in China)
OS - Windows 10 Pro x64
Filip1995
  • Total Posts : 97
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 08:06:47 (permalink)
AJKagan
Wanted to throw my name in as another unfortunate person with a failed 3090 FTW3 Ultra after an EK waterblock install.
As many have mentioned here, the install went smoothly, all the pads where checked to be the right size and in the right locations.
I double checked the tension of all the screws to make sure nothing was overly tight. In addition to checking for obvious signs of damage or shorts.
I opened a support ticket with EK and EVGA to try and get to the bottom of it.  I've installed many waterblocks before and this is a first for me. I'm at a loss as for what could have caused it. It was the first part of my loop that I've begun to assemble and now I'm hesitant to even install the mono block from EK on the motherboard.

Has anyone heard anything definitive from either EK or EVGA on what might be causing these?

Specs:
Mobo - ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU - AMD 5950x
RAM - G.SKill 64GB kit
Case - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
PSU - EVGA 1000T2
GPU - EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra (SN:2012 - made in China)
OS - Windows 10 Pro x64

Did you even bother to read this thread? Everything is explained here and many possible causes speculated.

That said. What is the serial number of your card and where it was made?
AJKagan
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 08:16:47 (permalink)
I did read through the thread. I see all of the speculated causes. I was asking if anyone in the thread had been given a definitive answer from EK or EVGA or its still speculative on what the exact cause is. As my previous post indicates my SN begins with: 2012 and is made in China.

I want to try and get as much info as I can so if I am successful with this RMA, I don't repeat the same thing. The previous install was textbook, no issues at all. Correct sized parts, including thermal pads were used. Lightly cleaning the surface of the SMD components with 99% isopropyl. Even the removal of the PCB was fine, gentle tension from all sides, wiggling it back and forth until it came loose. 
Filip1995
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 08:23:11 (permalink)
SN 20125? black or red lipped?

There is no definitive answer yet. But EK is 99% sure its not the blocks fault since one person confirmed to them that the replacement card from RMA worked with the block afterwards and they didnt find any issue with the blocks that were sent for RMA to them for this reason.

The evidence seems to point to evga.
AJKagan
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 08:29:46 (permalink)
Filip1995

There is no definitive answer yet. But EK is 99% sure its not the blocks fault since one person confirmed to them that the replacement card from RMA worked with the block afterwards and they didnt find any issue with the blocks that were sent for RMA to them for this reason.

Correct, SN: 20125, made in China, black lips.

Installed with the EK Nickle backplate. Also tested without backplate, same post code 97 on the motherboard.
Hope whatever replacement I get doesn't have the same issue. I'm getting flashbacks of my 980ti kingpin.
Filip1995
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 08:37:16 (permalink)
AJKagan
Filip1995

Correct, SN: 20125, made in China, black lips.

Installed with the EK Nickle backplate. Also tested without backplate, same post code 97 on the motherboard.
Hope whatever replacement I get doesn't have the same issue. I'm getting flashbacks of my 980ti kingpin.

Oh damn. My replacement has the same SN and is from china... That really killed my theory that only cards from Taiwan are troublesome.

I have an open ticket EVGA for week now. They still didnt answer to me. I pointed them to this thread and other facebook post on ek fan page where this issue is discussed, and EK rep. saying its weak pcb.

They usually responded to me in 2 days. They either ignore me, or there is really some investigation going on.

EK rep told me that they are in contact with EVGA about this issue.
AJKagan
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 08:45:28 (permalink)
I've also seen those discussions on EK FB page, i just attributed it to first time installer errors. Jokes on me I guess.
I will have to wait till next week to see what EVGA says, I doubt EK will have any further info than what others have already posted.

If I had to venture to guess, I'd say its got to be something with the removal of the PCB from the stock cooler, or the cleaning of the paste/pads from the PCB. I don't recall the 20 series or 10 series EVGA cards that I put blocks on having paste and pads this sticky. I almost want to put the whole thing in an ultrasonic with isopropyl.

Only criticism of EK so far has been the backplate having obvious blemishes and lack luster instructions for the install. They don't even mention removal of the PCI bracket and whether they suggest it should be retained or removed entirely.
crestline33
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 08:45:56 (permalink)
Of course EK is not gonna take the blame for the issue. You think EVGA puts out crap cards and then in turn wants to honor all these RMA’d cards? I am almost positive it’s either EK’s block or backplate that causes the issue and would bet money it is due to improper thermal pad thickness, not the milling of the block. Ek said to me the milling looks fine when i sent them pics of my block, it looked good to me when compared to my alphacool block, however, the milling on the alphacool block is slightly different, but the same components are cooled. The major difference between the EK and alphacool block I noticed is that the capacitor area is milled out deeper than all other components and the block seems as though it shouldn’t touch, the alphacool block is just cut out completely where the capacitors are. What i found majorly different is the alphacool backplate uses thicker pads and stands off the pcb more which I like, where as EK’s backplate uses thinner pads and seemed to posed more of a risk to touch the pcb. I came to my own conclusion that EK’s backplate design is the culprit and not the block itself. Everyone has tried without the backplate “after” their card didn’t work. By then it is too late as once it is shorted out it’s done for. So now i’m stuck with a $280 paper weight, but hey at least my card is now safely on water and my temps are great. I would just sell the ek block and backplate, but i feel like that is ignorant since I know it bricked my card....
AJKagan
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 08:52:01 (permalink)
crestline33
Of course EK is not gonna take the blame for the issue. You think EVGA puts out crap cards and then in turn wants to honor all these RMA’d cards? I am almost positive it’s either EK’s block or backplate that causes the issue and would bet money it is due to improper thermal pad thickness, not the milling of the block. Ek said to me the milling looks fine when i sent them pics of my block, it looked good to me when compared to my alphacool block, however, the milling on the alphacool block is slightly different, but the same components are cooled. The major difference between the EK and alphacool block I noticed is that the capacitor area is milled out deeper than all other components and the block seems as though it shouldn’t touch, the alphacool block is just cut out completely where the capacitors are. What i found majorly different is the alphacool backplate uses thicker pads and stands off the pcb more which I like, where as EK’s backplate uses thinner pads and seemed to posed more of a risk to touch the pcb. I came to my own conclusion that EK’s backplate design is the culprit and not the block itself. Everyone has tried without the backplate “after” their card didn’t work. By then it is too late as once it is shorted out it’s done for. So now i’m stuck with a $280 paper weight, but hey at least my card is now safely on water and my temps are great. I would just sell the ek block and backplate, but i feel like that is ignorant since I know it bricked my card....

This is partly why I reached out to EK as well. I wanted to check if there have been any revisions to the backplate and block. That includes thermal pad thickness and size. Or milling differences in either of the parts. Its still unclear how a significant number of people have installed presumably the same block and backplate and had no issues. The only difference is either, sheer luck, user install error, or manufacturing and instruction revisions from EK. Either way we don't have a lot of conclusive information. Just a growing trend that both companies seem to be "aware" of.

crestline33
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 09:08:09 (permalink)
I know one thing I have installed 7 gpu blocks now since I have been building pcs. NEVER had a single issue until this EK block. I am extremely careful and take my time when separating the pcb from the stock cooler and more so with this card as i knew that thermal putty on the vrms was going to have a good hold on it. I did not flex the pcb at all. I double and triple check all thermal pad sizes and locations before i placed the placed the card on the block and before placing the backplate. I highly doubt this many people including myself made installation errors. It really isn’t that complicated of a procedure.....
AJKagan
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 09:22:02 (permalink)
crestline33
I know one thing I have installed 7 gpu blocks now since I have been building pcs. NEVER had a single issue until this EK block. I am extremely careful and take my time when separating the pcb from the stock cooler and more so with this card as i knew that thermal putty on the vrms was going to have a good hold on it. I did not flex the pcb at all. I double and triple check all thermal pad sizes and locations before i placed the placed the card on the block and before placing the backplate. I highly doubt this many people including myself made installation errors. It really isn’t that complicated of a procedure.....

Agreed, I've installed many blocks before. So I didn't have any concerns this go around. Its not terribly complicated. Remove everything carefully, use the right pad thicknesses in the right places, and use the right sized screws. The card had been stress tested on the stock cooler and had 0 issues. I was banging my head against the wall last night thinking I had messed up the install somehow and bricked the card. Close inspection of the card, everything looks perfectly intact, all the thermal pads and paste seem to be making good contact. I'm left with the lingering feeling that something is wrong with the block/pads that EK provided and instructed to be installed in a particular way. My greatest fear is that the RMA card will have the same issue. I have no good information on what to look for or do differently the next go around.

erayser
  • Total Posts : 58
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 09:23:59 (permalink)
Filip1995

I love EK products (res, pump blocks, rads, etc...), and they are my go to blocks for all my previous custom loop builds.  But do you find it odd that most of the common q-code errors occur after installing the EK ftw3 block?   I don't see many threads in this forum that are using other brand blocks getting the same q-code errors.   I don't see any threads in this forum getting the same q-code errors installing Hybrid Kits either.  I'm not saying evga isn't at fault... but it's odd, and seems pretty consistent with the EK FTW3 blocks. I'm skipping the custom loop this time around... but I still find custom loops interesting.  I'm gonna grab some popcorn see how this plays out.

AMD 5900x
ASUS Strix X570-e
32GB (8 x 4) Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe M.2 for OS and Apps
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1tb NVMe M.2 for gaming
SSD: Samsung 870 QVO 2tb SATA 2.5 for gaming
HDD: 3x 2tb drives for my Photography/Digital
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Monitor: 3440x1440 Refresh rate 144Hz
Case: Corsair 680X
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Elite Capellix
GPU Cooler: EVGA FTW3 Hybrid Kit
Filip1995
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 09:41:49 (permalink)
crestline33

Well, not sure about blaming EK. If this was the culprit, there would be much more cases, also EK confirmed that the same block was used for replacement card and it worked.

Also, why would EVGA honor all these RMAs if they didnt know there is at least part of the blame on their side.

They gave me new card for my 4 months old card which I bricked? I dont think they would do that just like that.

Also, only EVGA didnt disclose any information about this issue. Why are they silent? At least EK is transparent about it at actually responds to the issue.

I would reconsider before pointing the finger at EK
Filip1995
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 09:53:12 (permalink)
Also, why to remove gpu bracket. How else do you attach the card to the case?

Gonna wait few weeks to monitor this situation. Still I am waiting for the thermal/ flow meter to arrive. Then I will follow the video on yt to the letter.

Hopefully by then, there will be some statement issued from EVGA or EK.
crestline33
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 11:42:33 (permalink)
EVGA honors any warranty claim as long as the card is “not physically damaged”. The probably just visually Inspect the card and send a new one out. If you were expecting them to test the card out in a machine you’d be sadly mistaken
Filip1995
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 11:52:27 (permalink)
crestline33
EVGA honors any warranty claim as long as the card is “not physically damaged”. The probably just visually Inspect the card and send a new one out. If you were expecting them to test the card out in a machine you’d be sadly mistaken

Still, by now EK shipped maybe 500-1000 blocks, if the issue would be blocks, I think it would be much more widespread. 
crestline33
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 14:18:51 (permalink)
500-1000? How many people you think actually own 3080/90 ftw3s that are actually watercooling them yet? I am also on a EK group on facebook and found several more people with the same issue as us and these are just the one that we know of that have come forward and said something about it. There is more than likely many more....
crestline33
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 14:28:14 (permalink)
There is also a reddit thread with people coming forward about the issue. I’d say at this point it is a problem and we are definitely not oddities. Also my original card and replacement cards both had the red lips, however first one was from taiwan and aecond was from china. I said the heck with EK and bought the alphacool Ftw3 block and have had no issues at all. Most people said they got the cards with the gray lips as their replacement and didn’t have any issues. I would just highly doubt at this point with evga being some of the best cards you can buy have made such a horrible mistake. I’m not saying EK’s block itself is to blame, but the backplate had me very worried from the beginning. The backplate pads were much thicker on the alphacool, about 3mm vs the thickest pad on the EK backplate being a 2mm. Plus the EK backplate is recessed which i didn’t care for i’d rather there be some visible space between the pcb and backplate so I can visually see if anything is touching
badboy64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 921
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 15:13:29 (permalink)
crestline33
There is also a reddit thread with people coming forward about the issue. I’d say at this point it is a problem and we are definitely not oddities. Also my original card and replacement cards both had the red lips, however first one was from taiwan and aecond was from china. I said the heck with EK and bought the alphacool Ftw3 block and have had no issues at all. Most people said they got the cards with the gray lips as their replacement and didn’t have any issues. I would just highly doubt at this point with evga being some of the best cards you can buy have made such a horrible mistake. I’m not saying EK’s block itself is to blame, but the backplate had me very worried from the beginning. The backplate pads were much thicker on the alphacool, about 3mm vs the thickest pad on the EK backplate being a 2mm. Plus the EK backplate is recessed which i didn’t care for i’d rather there be some visible space between the pcb and backplate so I can visually see if anything is touching

I have taken off EK waterblock from my 3090 FTW3 Ultra 3 times already and my card has the red lips as if it really matters period and serial number 2014.I went from a aircooled card to a hybrid which was taken apart 2 times before I even put the EK waterblock on it. My card has running for nearly 5 months now.
post edited by badboy64 - 2021/03/20 15:20:55

14th Intel® Core™ i9 14900KF CPU 3.2GHz@6.0ghz, Memory 2x24GB GSkill Trident Z Trident Z5 7200 mhz DDR5 Ram,4,000 GB MSI M480 PRO 4TB , Motherboard eVga 690 Dark , Operating System Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit, Msi Suprim X24G 4090, Monitor Acer CG437K, Logitech G910, Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition, Thermaltake View 91 RGB plus, eVga 1600w P2 PSU, Custom watercooling.
Speed Way  Score 11,055 points.
https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1112818
happyshtbox
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/20 17:45:32 (permalink)
Can confirm the same issue here with a 3090 FTW3 Ultra. 20141 SN (red lips). I have installed many blocks before and never had an issue. Card powers up fans and LEDs. Even the memory on the back is warm to the touch, but no boot. Starting an RMA Monday.
draftdub
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/21 07:44:10 (permalink)
Can add me to the 3090 bricked group. Tried everything possible to get video back. Error 97 load vga bios. Only when removing the waterblock and powering up with a naked pcb did the error go away. But no video signal from card. And no heat generated by gpu.
I did notice after the problem setting the block on a piece of flat quartz that the standoffs are not flat. The block rocks back and forth.
happyshtbox
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/21 07:58:10 (permalink)
draftdub
Can add me to the 3090 bricked group. Tried everything possible to get video back. Error 97 load vga bios. Only when removing the waterblock and powering up with a naked pcb did the error go away. But no video signal from card. And no heat generated by gpu.
I did notice after the problem setting the block on a piece of flat quartz that the standoffs are not flat. The block rocks back and forth.

Just checked the block, flat as can be. Did you check if your standoffs are in all the way? 2 of mine came off when removing the block.
crestline33
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/21 08:01:05 (permalink)
Why should anyone have to check their standoffs on their block? Where is the quality control from ek? They can’t check their standoffs for flatness before shipping? Come on man that’s just ridiculous and is why I blame EK for these cards being bricked
happyshtbox
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/21 08:06:23 (permalink)
crestline33
Why should anyone have to check their standoffs on their block? Where is the quality control from ek? They can’t check their standoffs for flatness before shipping? Come on man that’s just ridiculous and is why I blame EK for these cards being bricked

I wasn't saying to check before install, I was saying after removing the block 2 came loose. That might cause it to be uneven. 
happyshtbox
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/21 08:13:37 (permalink)
Definitely NOT installing it on my next card.

crestline33
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/21 08:21:39 (permalink)
I went with alphacool myself and have had zero issues. I’ve used them before and been very happy with their product as well as heatkiller and bitspower. Wish I could get a refund for my ek block, but i’m pretty sure it’s past the return date :/
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 29
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile