EVGA

Hot!RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 29
Author
GrimDoctorAU
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/28 00:01:29 (permalink)
I opened a ticket, they ignore everything in my email and said it was an EK problem. They then asked me to put the stock cooler back on, I asked them what to do about pads just as I have asked here but got no reply. I logged into my account and it says the ticket is closed, that's it. I didn't get a notification or anything. I have nothing about approving anything or its closure and why.

I guess it would be the weekend there now but I first spoke to them 3 days ago and they were replying within hours at that point.
DNAJAY
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/28 08:08:46 (permalink)
GrimDoctorAU
I opened a ticket, they ignore everything in my email and said it was an EK problem. They then asked me to put the stock cooler back on, I asked them what to do about pads just as I have asked here but got no reply. I logged into my account and it says the ticket is closed, that's it. I didn't get a notification or anything. I have nothing about approving anything or its closure and why.

I guess it would be the weekend there now but I first spoke to them 3 days ago and they were replying within hours at that point.

Best to just call them if you can. Your ticket may not be closed, my ticket looked closed, but they were still working on it. Still worth checking with a phone call.
Filip1995
  • Total Posts : 97
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/28 11:54:51 (permalink)
GrimDoctorAU

Just install the original cooler with the stacked EK pads, if the card does not still work, tell it to EVGA. They should approve RMA. Also I took photos of pcb and showed them there is no damage. It seems they appreciated that. My RMA was really a breeze. I hope yours works out that way too.
Filip1995
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/29 10:03:30 (permalink)
Hi guys, just wanted to warn everyone, that even with alphacool block, some users are experiencing this issue too. This poor fellow bricked 2 cards already installing the block.

https://hardforum.com/thr...or-3080-ftw-3.2007926/

Dont want to defend EK vigorously. But their theory about the issue being caused by cooler removal in conjunction with weak pcb is starting to grow on me.
Den-ko
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/29 10:20:02 (permalink)
Filip1995
Hi guys, just wanted to warn everyone, that even with alphacool block, some users are experiencing this issue too. This poor fellow bricked 2 cards already installing the block.

https://hardforum.com/thr...or-3080-ftw-3.2007926/

Dont want to defend EK vigorously. But their theory about the issue being caused by cooler removal in conjunction with weak pcb is starting to grow on me.

It's very possible.
crestline33
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/29 14:23:41 (permalink)
That guy said his second card started working when he tried to boot the next day.....
Filip1995
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/29 14:34:22 (permalink)
crestline33
That guy said his second card started working when he tried to boot the next day.....

yeah, sorry, just read his first input and run here to share.

Still, his first card got bricked like ours. And there are already now few other people who installed the same EK blocks on their replacement cards and had no issues since. Didn’t actually stumble upon any case where the card got bricked twice. There most be more to it.
Den-ko
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/29 14:40:35 (permalink)
Filip1995
crestline33

Still, his first card got bricked like ours. And there are already now few other people who installed the same EK blocks on their replacement cards and had no issues since. Didn’t actually stumble upon any case where the card got bricked twice. There most be more to it.

I saw on reddit different people bricking their second card, hence why I'm hesitating to install mine...
crestline33
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/29 14:43:39 (permalink)
It may be evga. None of us will know for sure. They aren’t going to admit they have been selling bum cards.
Filip1995
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/29 15:03:33 (permalink)
Den-ko
Filip1995
crestline33

I saw on reddit different people bricking their second card, hence why I'm hesitating to install mine...

Well, if there are people with both working and bricked card on their second try, I am more leaning on the side that this is actually problem with the card than with the block.

The reason might be that even little flex of pcb or too much tightened screw can brick the card. Some cards have better pcb some have worse. Some people are more careful with their card, some are not so much.
Den-ko
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/29 15:05:13 (permalink)
Filip1995
Den-ko
Filip1995
crestline33

Well, if there are people with both working and bricked card on their second try, I am more leaning on the side that this is actually problem with the card than with the block.

The reason might be that even little flex of pcb or too much tightened screw can brick the card. Some cards have better pcb some have worse. Some people are more careful with their card, some are not so much.

You first then, duel of fates who's going to brick their second card first 
Filip1995
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/29 15:15:51 (permalink)
Den-ko
Filip1995
Den-ko
Filip1995
crestline33

Gonna try this or next weekend. Not sure when my thermometer arrives.

However, I confess that on my first try my thermal pads placement on the backplate wasnt really top notch. Also I am pretty sure that I tightened the screws too much, since some of the washers where squashed afterwards.

This time I prepared to go full surgical.
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/29 17:18:56 (permalink)
Just installed EK Block n backplate on Evga 3080FTW3 Ultra.....no issues....pita cutting all thermal pads though....btw reading a few remarks regarding "over-tightening screws"...I have been installing EK Blocks on Evga Cards starting during the 580 series ...there has never been an issue with "over-tightening", I always tweak em" as snug as I can get them to ensure all components are well seated in the pads.

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

Eksu99
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/30 03:25:12 (permalink)
There seem to be a new case of 3090 FTW3 breakdown after disassembling the stock cooler for re-pasting. This case further suuports EKWB's opinion on that the problem appears during the stock cooler disassembly, not after installing the waterblock. This guy has the usual symptoms: Fans and leds working, no booting, white VGA led (unfortunately he doesn't have the numbered debug screen), and no visual damage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/..._i_am_filled_with_the/
amistrata
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/30 04:06:26 (permalink)
xotic1209
Hi all,

Im in need of some help here I really dont know what to do. I recently just installed my EKWB waterblock on my RTX FTW 3 3090 and now my system isnt booting. It was running for months before the water block install.

Post error code 62 with Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master Mobo and an AMD 5950x with the RTX 3090 plugged in.
I have narrowed it down to ti being something wrong with the graphics card. I popped my old 1080ti in and Im not having any issues.
The board is definitely getting power and there are no circuits that got fried or liquid that touched the board.
Is a ground being missed ? Does the board need fans plugged into work ? LED on the back is lighting up.
System detects when I removed a PSU cable showing the red lights so I really dont think the board is damaged.

Can EVGA look into this for me or does anyone here have any insight? I dont believe I did anything to cause this. Im not new to watercooling .. but I will pay if I have to to repair it if its out of waranty over this. Im desperate and need help :( 

The tolerances on the EKWB blocks are mediocre... you probably overtightened one of the screws that attaches the block to the board. Even with the insulator washers you can have an issue. But who knows.

post edited by amistrata - 2021/03/30 04:10:16
Spurious_ECG
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/30 08:02:57 (permalink)
Still blaming EK when the issue has been demonstrated to not be an EK specific issue? The problem seems to be with stock cooler removal, which is a significant issue.

crestline33
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/30 12:06:57 (permalink)
If it is an EVGA problem then I blame it on that god awful thermal paste they use on the vrms and mosfets. That stuff sticks hard, not sure why they didn’t just use pads like every other manufacturer.....
Den-ko
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/30 22:57:36 (permalink)
Filip1995
Den-ko
Filip1995
Den-ko
Filip1995
crestline33

However, I confess that on my first try my thermal pads placement on the backplate wasnt really top notch. Also I am pretty sure that I tightened the screws too much, since some of the washers where squashed afterwards.

I decided to risk it all, and it worked. I guess it's not the block after all. I was one of the first to buy the card so maybe there was a revision or thermal paste weirded out after a couple of months, or maybe I did something stupid. Who knows.

My only advice to people is to wiggle the card and be patient. Wiggle wiggle wiggle
GrimDoctorAU
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/30 22:59:35 (permalink)
Den-ko
Filip1995
Den-ko
Filip1995
Den-ko
Filip1995
crestline33

I decided to risk it all, and it worked. I guess it's not the block after all. I was one of the first to buy the card so maybe there was a revision or thermal paste weirded out after a couple of months, or maybe I did something stupid. Who knows.

My only advice to people is to wiggle the card and be patient. Wiggle wiggle wiggle

What do you mean by wiggle?
Filip1995
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/30 23:10:21 (permalink)
Den-ko
Filip1995
Den-ko
Filip1995
Den-ko
Filip1995
crestline33

I am happy to hear that. Whats the SN and where was your new card made?

By the wiggle you probably meant when separating from the stock cooler. Good call. Will be doing the same.

Also during the block installation, did you remove the IO bracket from the card? Can find clear answer if it is necessary or not.
Eksu99
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/30 23:12:40 (permalink)
Filip1995
Den-ko
Filip1995
Den-ko
Filip1995
Den-ko
Filip1995
crestline33

I am happy to hear that. Whats the SN and where was your new card made?

By the wiggle you probably meant when separating from the stock cooler. Good call. Will be doing the same.

Also during the block installation, did you remove the IO bracket from the card? Can find clear answer if it is necessary or not.

Personally I don’t see why removing the IO-beacket would be critical but I would do it anyways. It’s easy and quick.
Den-ko
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/30 23:57:20 (permalink)
Wiggle it left and right from center, dont try to bend it from the back. The paste will loosen up if you wiggle it. Just have to be patient.

Serial # was a 2114 card, previously had red lips now black.

I did remove the IO bracket to make it easier to line up the block.
Emparus
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 217
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/31 05:44:03 (permalink)
The only way you impact the PCB while putting on the waterblock is if you bend it too much while removing the old cooler and back plate. If you don't warm up the card (I did to about 70C) the grip of  the thermal paste used is difficult to release. Even at 70C I had to be very careful not to bend the PCB by moving it parallel to the cooler not lifting up until it was loose. Some, however, also put on the bracket on again before putting on the backplate. That will create a lot of force and may break things.
notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10344
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/31 12:30:29 (permalink)
I just installed the EK acetal block on my 3090 FTW [step-up] card. No issues, but like has been said it is stuck fairly well to the air cooler. I didn't remove the rear bracket, because the dummy sheet didn't include that as part of install.

Sorry some of you have problems, not what you want in such an expensive piece. 
Spurious_ECG
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/31 13:39:18 (permalink)
Not running the card was the only thing I did differently between the tear downs of the 3080 and the 3090 FTW3 Ultras. So would definitely recommend getting the putty warm before disassembly to minimize risks. Can easily do this by running a 3dMark stress test and watching temps with hwInfo.

I’d also recommend using something long and thin (even a thermal paste spreader/gelato spoon should work) to help break the seal of the putty after pulling the card apart slightly instead of wiggling side to side.

Watch the GN video about the disassembly process for a good guide: https://youtu.be/mX1spw5_IX0

GrimDoctorAU
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/31 18:48:47 (permalink)
So EVGA just told me that removing my cooler has voided my warranty and nothing will be covered. ****. How did you guys get an RMA? I feel like they are ****ing me because I'm in Australia with no local contact.

Seriously, **** evga, I'm done with this.
post edited by GrimDoctorAU - 2021/03/31 18:55:20
AJKagan
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/31 18:53:58 (permalink)
So I was fortunate that EVGA sent my replacement card ASAP. Lots of high quality images seems to go a long way to demonstrate there is no physical damage.
Now the question becomes, Do I install the Alphacool block or the EK block. I'd have to re-order the EK pads, as I sent the dead card into EVGA with the EK pads on.
Wish EK sent the precut and color coordinate pads like alphacool does.
I'm beginning to think based on all the comments that this is an EVGA PCB / Disassembly issue.
DNAJAY
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/31 19:48:46 (permalink)
AJKagan
So I was fortunate that EVGA sent my replacement card ASAP. Lots of high quality images seems to go a long way to demonstrate there is no physical damage.
Now the question becomes, Do I install the Alphacool block or the EK block. I'd have to re-order the EK pads, as I sent the dead card into EVGA with the EK pads on.
Wish EK sent the precut and color coordinate pads like alphacool does.
I'm beginning to think based on all the comments that this is an EVGA PCB / Disassembly issue.

I did the same thing and asked EKWB if they would help me out with some more pads. They promptly pointed me to their store to purchase them LOL. No freebies. Performance PC sells the pads too, so if you are in the US that's the best route to go to save on shipping. 
DNAJAY
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/31 19:53:20 (permalink)
GrimDoctorAU
So EVGA just told me that removing my cooler has voided my warranty and nothing will be covered. ****. How did you guys get an RMA? I feel like they are ****ing me because I'm in Australia with no local contact.

Yeah that doesn't sound right. You might just want to tweet @EVGA_JacobF about it. He may be able to help you out. That's what I would do. Taking off the cooler doesn't void the warranty unless you have physical damage. In some cases, even with damage EVGA has been very helpful. So I would take lots of pictures, reach out to Jacob.    
GrimDoctorAU
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/03/31 20:13:38 (permalink)
DNAJAY
GrimDoctorAU

Yeah that doesn't sound right. You might just want to tweet @EVGA_JacobF about it. He may be able to help you out. That's what I would do. Taking off the cooler doesn't void the warranty unless you have physical damage. In some cases, even with damage EVGA has been very helpful. So I would take lots of pictures, reach out to Jacob.    

I tried and this is what I got so I'm done with this company, never again. I provided everything they asked for and there is no physical damage whatsoever. They called using an EK waterblock an "unauthorised product" and said that removing the cooler to add said "unauthorised product" has voided my warranty. If I removed the cooler to do "maintenance" it might be different apparently but because I admitted and provided details of the water block, nah bro, ya done, ticket closed, again.

$3500 + the waterblock cost...what a joke. Evga never again.
post edited by GrimDoctorAU - 2021/03/31 20:29:36
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 29
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile