EVGA

Hot!RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting

Page: << < ..26272829 > Showing page 28 of 29
Author
richard203
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/08/31 17:24:49 (permalink)
most of the time i buy from performance pc but like the preorder i buy it directly from ek usa.
ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 972
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/08/31 21:03:34 (permalink)
KingEngineRevUp
Mrostom
KingEngineRevUp
Mrostom
richard203
Mrostom
I have a question, how much did you pay for your EKWB waterblock? Whenever I try to check out the price goes up like %20 and it added $50 tax? Any ideas?

ek front plate - $184.99
ek active backplate - $159.99

shipping - $44.94

thats for me im buying front and backplate for 3090

Yes these are the correct prices I see before checking out
You bought it from the USA correct?
I get
For the WB: $226
And for the back plate: $56 when I start checking out
Free shipping but $50 tax.

Thank you Richard!
I probably need to email their support, just wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Are you in the US? It's in stock at Spartan Liquid cooling: https://spartanliquidcooling.com/product/ek-quantum-vector-ftw3-rtx-3080-3090-d-rgb-nickel-plexi/

They don't charge taxes in most states. 

Yes! Oh that’s much better! And free shipping too! Than you sir!

The owner is really nice, he e-mailed my back at midnight and even went to check inventory for me! Sent my stuff the very next day priority mail. 

I can attest to Spartan. I made one order followed by another shortly after because I decided to get something else. Spartan caught that, refunded the extra shipping cost, and everything came in one box. They even recognized how miserable USPS has been, so they changed my shipping from Priority Mail to UPS Ground. I received my order within two days after that. Had the post office handled it, I’d have waited at least a week with it being out for delivery at least twice.

emaglio
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/01 08:41:35 (permalink)
Hi all,

Looks like I got bit by this issue - my 3090 FTW3 refuses to boot with the EK block installed. I was very meticulous during installation and am confident that things like PCB flex, thermal pad mistakes, or overtightening aren't a factor. 

I initiated an RMA and prepared the card for shipping by removing the EK block and reinstalling the factory cooler. Curiously, the card now boots fine. So I figure it's most likely that one of the standoffs on the block was contacting a pad or component footprint on the PCB. I noticed a large component on the backside (looks to be a diode) got scorching hot with the block installed, which seems to back up this theory. My EK block has the original larger diameter standoffs from pre-June. 

I'm engaged with EK support now and am hoping they'll send me some of the narrower standoffs. But my conundrum is whether I should proceed with the RMA on the GPU. That diode was getting so hot that even though the card appears to work now, I'd be worried that permanent damage occurred. On the other hand, the EVGA support rep (who was very helpful) stated that the EK blocks are considered a known issue and my warranty would only be honored one time. So if I get an RMA replacement and something goes wrong again, I'd be burned. 

Curious to know what people think. Really sucks to be put in this situation. I'm an engineer myself and am really scratching my head as to how this whole standoff issue made it into a production product.

Thanks!
KingEngineRevUp
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1030
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/01 11:33:57 (permalink)
emaglio
Hi all,

Looks like I got bit by this issue - my 3090 FTW3 refuses to boot with the EK block installed. I was very meticulous during installation and am confident that things like PCB flex, thermal pad mistakes, or overtightening aren't a factor. 

I initiated an RMA and prepared the card for shipping by removing the EK block and reinstalling the factory cooler. Curiously, the card now boots fine. So I figure it's most likely that one of the standoffs on the block was contacting a pad or component footprint on the PCB. I noticed a large component on the backside (looks to be a diode) got scorching hot with the block installed, which seems to back up this theory. My EK block has the original larger diameter standoffs from pre-June. 

I'm engaged with EK support now and am hoping they'll send me some of the narrower standoffs. But my conundrum is whether I should proceed with the RMA on the GPU. That diode was getting so hot that even though the card appears to work now, I'd be worried that permanent damage occurred. On the other hand, the EVGA support rep (who was very helpful) stated that the EK blocks are considered a known issue and my warranty would only be honored one time. So if I get an RMA replacement and something goes wrong again, I'd be burned. 

Curious to know what people think. Really sucks to be put in this situation. I'm an engineer myself and am really scratching my head as to how this whole standoff issue made it into a production product.

Thanks!

I would just continue to test your card and use as a AIB. If something happens then RMA it during this time. If not, then you should be fine. 

How do you know the diode is getting really hot now and it wasn't hot before? 

And to your last question. From what I heard from the grapevine, EVGA shared their PCB design with EKWB, and some of the components are close to the holes than previously reported. Who is at fault? Maybe both of them? Not sure. 

How did you obtain your block? Did you buy it used? I'm curious why it came with the old standoffs. 
emaglio
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/01 11:57:22 (permalink)
KingEngineRevUp

I would just continue to test your card and use as a AIB. If something happens then RMA it during this time. If not, then you should be fine. 

How do you know the diode is getting really hot now and it wasn't hot before? 

And to your last question. From what I heard from the grapevine, EVGA shared their PCB design with EKWB, and some of the components are close to the holes than previously reported. Who is at fault? Maybe both of them? Not sure. 

How did you obtain your block? Did you buy it used? I'm curious why it came with the old standoffs. 

I bought the block new directly from EK, just back in April before they apparently switched to the narrower standoffs. I just hadn't finished my system build and gotten everything ready for testing until now. It's a whole custom wood and glass desk with the PC built into it, so that's been a pretty long project.

I noticed the EK backplate getting warm when I first powered up the card, but that could have passed as normal heating of all the voltage regulators on the underside. Later I removed the backplate (to see if that was causing the issue) and that's when I noticed that all that heat was actually being generated by one diode in particular. Can't touch it for more than a couple seconds without being burned, so I can't imagine that's OK. 

Everything runs cool with the entire block removed and the fan cooler re-installed, though I can't tell if there's permanent damage.
badboy64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 921
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/01 12:04:44 (permalink)
emaglio
Hi all,

Thanks!

I wouldn't send the card back at all since it boots up with the stock cooler and eVga just will send you the card back since it working with the stock cooler. Wait EK's reply on the narrower stand offs for the waterblock. I don't even have a issue with my EK waterblock when using it since I had put it on back on January 15th and I took it apart twice already. Also I had my 3090 FTW3 Ultra since Oct 27th 2020 which is over 10 months ago.

14th Intel® Core™ i9 14900KF CPU 3.2GHz@6.0ghz, Memory 2x24GB GSkill Trident Z Trident Z5 7200 mhz DDR5 Ram,4,000 GB MSI M480 PRO 4TB , Motherboard eVga 690 Dark , Operating System Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit, Msi Suprim X24G 4090, Monitor Acer CG437K, Logitech G910, Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition, Thermaltake View 91 RGB plus, eVga 1600w P2 PSU, Custom watercooling.
Speed Way  Score 11,055 points.
https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1112818
krellnut
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/05 20:52:14 (permalink)

So glad I came here and found this tread awhile back. I have said card and had ordered the EK block here in Canada. It came with one revised standoff. Contacted EK and they sent me two more. Since my intention was to also get the active backplate, I decided to wait until the backplate become available to convert the card. Backplate arrived Friday, did the install this morning. Card is up running with no issues. The backplate is stunning. The aluminum is chrome plated but they left some machine marks on the surface, which I personally love.
Couple of points I'd like to make about the install.
1. Once all the screws were out of the cooler I found twisting the PCB was the best way to break the putty loose. The putty has to much hold to simply just pry apart.
2. Putting the terminal on to tie the two blocks together is quite the big to do. EK says you have to compress the blocks together to get the 6 fasteners installed. Here's how I got it to work.
Once installed the terminal protrudes past on both blocks. This has proved to be very useful. Start by threading the three top bolts into the terminal, just enough so the the terminal can still move, but up against the o-rings.
Lay the card on the table, backplate down. Put your hand directly behind the terminal and push with constant force. Because the terminal is contacting the table, the downforce is compressing the blocks and also pushing the terminal tight against the bottom block. The terminal will be contacting both blocks to start, this insures it. I was surprised by how much I had to push. Thread in the bottom three fasteners, then do the final tighten on all 6.
I stressed the card for an hour straight, temps down 35 degrees. The finished card looks and works awesome. Before I got the backplate I thought about vertical mount, but the backplate is so beautiful, its staying horizontal. Thanks to everyone who posted here, its been a life saver.

dustinpn
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/06 18:00:01 (permalink)
So this just happened to me and I'm in the process of removing the waterblock and reinstalling the stock air cooling. My problem is that I don't have any thermal pads left and I'm unsure what MM thermal pads to even use.

Do I need to even worry about this since its being RMA'd? If so, what MM pads do I use for the stock cooling system on the FTW3 and where to I buy them at?
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/06 19:06:29 (permalink)
I had Evga send me a set of replacement pads n I purchased a few of these

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=M047-10-000003

Same thing removing WB n installing stock cooler....not to RMA though...replacing with Ti version ;)
Not sure if I misunderstood you but you wouldnt use your WB pads back on your air cooler anyhow...I can generally recycle the stock pads provided you wrap em up properly and carefully handle em..
post edited by rjbarker - 2021/09/06 19:08:48

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

sdmf74
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 241
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/08 06:30:25 (permalink)
I feel kinda ridiculous asking this but the EK 3080 FTW3 waterblock manual shows the empty VRAM pcb slots covered with thermal pads AND a couple videos I watched showed people installing thermal pads on the PCB where there is solder pads for memory chips but they are empty (probally just reserved to use the same PCB on other GPU models with more memory.

So why are people putting thermal pads on the PCB where there is no physical memory chip?
Any good reason to do this? it shouldn't create any heat since there is no component there.

I can only think of good reasons NOT to put thermal pads there, one being since their is no chip there the 1.0mm thermal pad probably won't even make contact and could move around between the PCB and cold plate and cause issues.
post edited by sdmf74 - 2021/09/08 06:38:29

Asus Maximus XIII Hero, CaseLabs Merlin SM8, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA w/ EK QUANTUM VECTOR Nickel WB, EVGA superNOVA 1300 G2, Intel I9-11900K, EK Velocity, Aquacomputer D5 PWM Pump, G Skill TridentZ RGB 3600 32gb, Samsung 980 Pro 1tb, 970 Evo Plus 1tb, 960 Pro 512gb, 850 Pro 512gb, 860 Evo 1tb 850 Evo 1tb, Wooting One, Razer Viper, Sennheiser G4me Zero, Asus PG279Q, EK D-RGB LED Strips

KingEngineRevUp
FTW Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/08 08:12:01 (permalink)
sdmf74
I feel kinda ridiculous asking this but the EK 3080 FTW3 waterblock manual shows the empty VRAM pcb slots covered with thermal pads AND a couple videos I watched showed people installing thermal pads on the PCB where there is solder pads for memory chips but they are empty (probally just reserved to use the same PCB on other GPU models with more memory.

So why are people putting thermal pads on the PCB where there is no physical memory chip?
Any good reason to do this? it shouldn't create any heat since there is no component there.

I can only think of good reasons NOT to put thermal pads there, one being since their is no chip there the 1.0mm thermal pad probably won't even make contact and could move around between the PCB and cold plate and cause issues.

You mind posting your question here? https://forums.evga.com/EKQuantum-Vector-FTW3-RTX-30803080-Ti3090-Discussion-m3458623.aspx

I'm trying to get people to use the above thread for all general discussions about the block and leaving this thread to discuss the failures specifically. The OP of this thread doesn't manage the original post and seems to have abandoned thread. 
sdmf74
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/08 10:01:57 (permalink)
I've been following and participating in this thread closely and I know there are many people in THIS thread that have installed a waterblock on this GPU (RTX3080 FTW3 ULTRA) some successfully and some not so successfully. This is actually the perfect thread to ask a simple question that so many would have the experience to answer, rather than another thread where I might get answers of speculation and experiences from models other than mine.

Besides now that EK has resolved the standoff issue this thread is all but dead hence the reason for the couple posts a day rather than many pages of posts daily back when nobody knew if it was EVGA or EK at fault for all the dead gpu's.

Besides of course the rare post from somebody that has an old block with fat standoffs that was just awaiting other parts and didn't know about the issue like the one we saw from a couple days ago.

Asus Maximus XIII Hero, CaseLabs Merlin SM8, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA w/ EK QUANTUM VECTOR Nickel WB, EVGA superNOVA 1300 G2, Intel I9-11900K, EK Velocity, Aquacomputer D5 PWM Pump, G Skill TridentZ RGB 3600 32gb, Samsung 980 Pro 1tb, 970 Evo Plus 1tb, 960 Pro 512gb, 850 Pro 512gb, 860 Evo 1tb 850 Evo 1tb, Wooting One, Razer Viper, Sennheiser G4me Zero, Asus PG279Q, EK D-RGB LED Strips

KingEngineRevUp
FTW Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/08 10:19:31 (permalink)
sdmf74
I've been following and participating in this thread closely and I know there are many people in THIS thread that have installed a waterblock on this GPU (RTX3080 FTW3 ULTRA) some successfully and some not so successfully. This is actually the perfect thread to ask a simple question that so many would have the experience to answer, rather than another thread where I might get answers of speculation and experiences from models other than mine.

Besides now that EK has resolved the standoff issue this thread is all but dead hence the reason for the couple posts a day rather than many pages of posts daily back when nobody knew if it was EVGA or EK at fault for all the dead gpu's.

Besides of course the rare post from somebody that has an old block with fat standoffs that was just awaiting other parts and didn't know about the issue like the one we saw from a couple days ago.

That thread is a dedicated EKWB thread. This thread is specifically for the standoff issue, which ahs been solved. 

Edit:
This thread ->https://forums.evga.com/EKQuantum-Vector-FTW3-RTX-30803080-Ti3090-Discussion-m3458623.aspx<- This thread
post edited by KingEngineRevUp - 2021/09/09 00:34:27
sdmf74
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/08 20:36:28 (permalink)
Actually it's not, have you been here at all? there's been many subjects discussed here and as you said the OP has abandoned his thread.

I don't think a question that's actually about the EK waterblock in an EK waterblock thread is out of bounds, if you don't wanna answer it then don't
post edited by sdmf74 - 2021/09/08 23:12:34

JoeV2
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/19 22:27:53 (permalink)
Hello, There is a lot to read here but I would just like to add this is still happening, Installed my EK block and now both GPUs have died on me, Going to call for a new RMA as well as buy a new EK block incase the block is defective. Hopefully EVGA will have some advice to give me this time around
KingEngineRevUp
FTW Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/19 23:54:23 (permalink)
JoeV2
Hello, There is a lot to read here but I would just like to add this is still happening, Installed my EK block and now both GPUs have died on me, Going to call for a new RMA as well as buy a new EK block incase the block is defective. Hopefully EVGA will have some advice to give me this time around

Read the first post of this thread. 

https://forums.evga.com/EKQuantum-Vector-FTW3-RTX-30803080-Ti3090-Discussion-m3458623.aspx

This thread isn't a good resource anymore. The OP abandoned it and didn't put and updates on post #1.
dustinpn
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/20 21:14:31 (permalink)
So I just bricked my second 3090 I got from an RMA...

I have the revised EKWB waterblock.

I am just emotionally drained at this point and don't understand what the hell is going on. This is not my first setup and I've never had this many issues.

So now I have to pray to god EVGA will RMA me AGAIN. I'm just giving up on watercooling this card. Either its the card or its the waterblock but its just not meant to be and I'm over it.

Praying to the Gods right now the let me RMA it again.
dustinpn
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/20 22:28:52 (permalink)
So update. I put the stock cooling back on the most recent 3090 and its working again.

100% something wrong with this EKWB waterblock. And I've got the 2nd revision with the new standoffs. Not sure what else to do at this point. Hopefully I can get a refund for the pile of **** and get a new one from someone else.

I am SO over this.
KingEngineRevUp
FTW Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/20 23:28:52 (permalink)
dustinpn
So update. I put the stock cooling back on the most recent 3090 and its working again.

100% something wrong with this EKWB waterblock. And I've got the 2nd revision with the new standoffs. Not sure what else to do at this point. Hopefully I can get a refund for the pile of **** and get a new one from someone else.

I am SO over this.

More than likely you didn't tighten the screws down enough. That's what i'm starting to suspect. People don't realize the thermal pads are kind of firm. If you don't torque it down enough there will be poor contact between the block and GPU. Then the card is probably instantly heating up and refusing to post or causing an emergency shutdown.

Now I know what you're thinking. "I'm techs savvy! I installed a lot of blocks in my life!" Well, I have a lot of experience taking many cards apart to do all kinds of crazy things. I will tell you, the first time I put the block on, the temps weren't the best and the memory was at 80C. I took the card out and discovered after the pads had warmed up, it was able to do a whole half turn on the 4 screws that surround the GPU. My memory temps dropped to 55-60C. 

You can't overtighten these screws, the stand off is designed to stop the screw before it can cause damage. It will bottom out. Your issue sounds like you didn't torque the screw down enough and poor contact is being made. If you're scared of a electrical short, then just put kapton tape around the holes. Make kapton washers, it's cheap, like $5. But I bet your problem is probably poor contact between die and block. 

post edited by KingEngineRevUp - 2021/09/20 23:31:27
richard203
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/21 02:57:48 (permalink)
just got my 3090 ek active front and backplate i will be installing it tomorrow or the next day when i have time, i will let u guys know if it works or dont
badboy64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 921
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/21 05:57:32 (permalink)
dustinpn

I am SO over this.

You must of did something wrong when installing EK waterblock 2nd revision to begin with. I had the first revision EK waterblock on since January 15th but got the 2nd revision EK waterblock and installed it with the active backplate 2 weeks ago and works just fine so far. I also have had my 3090 FTW3 Ultra since Oct 27th 2020.
post edited by badboy64 - 2021/09/21 06:10:14

14th Intel® Core™ i9 14900KF CPU 3.2GHz@6.0ghz, Memory 2x24GB GSkill Trident Z Trident Z5 7200 mhz DDR5 Ram,4,000 GB MSI M480 PRO 4TB , Motherboard eVga 690 Dark , Operating System Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit, Msi Suprim X24G 4090, Monitor Acer CG437K, Logitech G910, Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition, Thermaltake View 91 RGB plus, eVga 1600w P2 PSU, Custom watercooling.
Speed Way  Score 11,055 points.
https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1112818
Mrostom
  • Total Posts : 94
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/21 06:13:41 (permalink)
KingEngineRevUp
Mrostom
KingEngineRevUp
Mrostom
richard203
Mrostom
I have a question, how much did you pay for your EKWB waterblock? Whenever I try to check out the price goes up like %20 and it added $50 tax? Any ideas?

ek front plate - $184.99
ek active backplate - $159.99

shipping - $44.94

thats for me im buying front and backplate for 3090

Yes these are the correct prices I see before checking out
You bought it from the USA correct?
I get
For the WB: $226
And for the back plate: $56 when I start checking out
Free shipping but $50 tax.

Thank you Richard!
I probably need to email their support, just wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Are you in the US? It's in stock at Spartan Liquid cooling: https://spartanliquidcooling.com/product/ek-quantum-vector-ftw3-rtx-3080-3090-d-rgb-nickel-plexi/

They don't charge taxes in most states. 

Yes! Oh that’s much better! And free shipping too! Than you sir!

The owner is really nice, he e-mailed my back at midnight and even went to check inventory for me! Sent my stuff the very next day priority mail. 

Yes they are super nice! I ordered the block from them and they were very communicative!
Will use them again for sure! 

earlmarinus
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/21 06:18:07 (permalink)
Well received the Active Backplate from EKWB yesterday. Installed it this morning. Will post pics as soon as I finish getting it into the loop.

KingEngineRevUp
FTW Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/21 06:52:50 (permalink)
earlmarinus
Well received the Active Backplate from EKWB yesterday. Installed it this morning. Will post pics as soon as I finish getting it into the loop.

If you do can you please use this thread for that?

https://forums.evga.com/m..aspx?m=3458623&fp=5
flie
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/21 20:32:27 (permalink)
hello,
About 1 month ago , i bought ekwb vector xc3 and active backplate along with it to cooling my 3080 , i know that for 3080 is not necessary to use active backplate but i just want to be ready if 3090 back in stock. 
my question is it safe now to swap the block now? cuz i keep seeing people with bricked gpu after installing the block. thanks in advance guys
KingEngineRevUp
FTW Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/21 22:02:16 (permalink)
flie
hello,
About 1 month ago , i bought ekwb vector xc3 and active backplate along with it to cooling my 3080 , i know that for 3080 is not necessary to use active backplate but i just want to be ready if 3090 back in stock. 
my question is it safe now to swap the block now? cuz i keep seeing people with bricked gpu after installing the block. thanks in advance guys

The XC3 is a different card so can't really comment.
sdmf74
Superclocked Member
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/23 08:29:43 (permalink)
@Joev2 you didn't even mention what GPU(s) you are talking about? Noone can help you without relevant info.

It must be only 3090s with ongoing issues. I've been running mine (3080 ftw3 ultra) w/ updated waterblock for a couple weeks without issue.

I tightened my screws snug as always but be careful telling everyone they can't possibly do damage no matter how hard they tighten the screws down! Even around the (sensitive to cracking) die. It's an expensive GPU and no guarantee how many times EVGA will continue to honor multiple rma's.

If EK can't get their measurements correct around the standoffs do you really think they are gonna get the depth around the whole PCB and all small components accurate? which is probably the most difficult part.
It even says in the backplate manual to NOT overtighten the screws! or risk damage.
Maybe initially your screws were loose if you weren't making contact but I wouldn't torque them hard like you do with an Intel cpu block where you have springs and pins that can flex.

I also turned my fans down low on the stock cooler and played a game for 30 minutes to an hour before I removed it from the PC to install the waterblock, this made it a little easier to remove the air cooler but it also had the unexpected advantage of having ALL the thermal pads come off the PCB cleanly. They all stuck to the stock cooler when I pulled them apart! so if I ever need to reuse them they are right where they need to be! Just will have to repaste and reputty. See pic...

post edited by sdmf74 - 2021/10/18 10:51:46

emaglio
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/09/23 09:27:18 (permalink)
Hi all, I just wanted to post a quick follow-up about my experience (EK block with old standoffs prevented my 3090 from booting and also caused a diode on the underside to get scalding hot). 

I did end up sending my card back to EVGA even though it would boot with the fan cooler re-installed, as I was concerned that the presumed short caused by the standoffs caused some hidden permanent damage. I made sure EVGA knew exactly what had happened. They ended up replacing it anyways with no trouble, which was much appreciated. Top-notch support for sure. 

I reached out to EK who mailed me a set of the new standoffs along with the installation tool and some fresh thermal pads. Their support was very professional as well. I still think it was a questionable move for them to not issue a statement and proactively replace the old standoffs in affected blocks, but at least they're not stubborn about rectifying it when it does cause issues. 

I reassembled the block & GPU with the new standoffs and everything now functions perfectly. Super glad to finally be able to enjoy my new build. 

simonfredette
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/10/15 20:11:47 (permalink)
my 3090 was working fine with the water block but since it's not compatible with the original backplate I ordered and installed the active cooled Ek backplate and I think it bricked the card. won't boot and the mobo gives me the white VGA light, reinstalled the stock cooler and did a visual and don't see anything obviously damaged. I don't know which revision of the backplate I have. I followed the instructions for the thermal pads and the indentations on the pad indicate they were making contact. pretty discouraged. On the bright side seeing people got RMA From EVGA despite the card being tampered with gives me some hope. 
SkyRyders90
Re: RTX 3090 EVGA FTW 3 - Ekwb Waterblock install - Not booting 2021/12/11 07:17:16 (permalink)
Same thing happened to me - and my block has the updated standoffs.  It seems like the active backplate may have re-introduced this problem.
Page: << < ..26272829 > Showing page 28 of 29
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile