EVGA

Helpful ReplyHot!RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Author
ahmadmob
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/20 02:30:36 (permalink)
Just got a reply from nvidia after a month of silence:

"Hello,

We have been able to replicate the failure and engineering is actively investigating. Progress has been slow unfortunately because the failure doesn't seem to occur when using debug drivers with debugger connected. I will certainly update if there is a fix available. Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
Ray"
Ericthegreat
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 147
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/20 02:41:06 (permalink)
Well great to hear theyer working in it.
ahmadmob
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/20 02:51:48 (permalink)
Yah let's hope for the best. I was seriously thinking to either get a 6800 XT (if I can even find one) and sell my 3090 or sell the 3090 and skip this whole generation of GPUs, because I know for a fact that getting a new motherboard and CPU isn't guaranteed to fix the issue for me.
benattar
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/20 14:34:54 (permalink)
If you are finding this thread and looking for a resolution to your issues, there is a good post on reddit that will help you resolve your  problem here:

The tl;dr:  You likely have some software like iCue, aura sync, or some other bits attempting to exert control over your GPUs RGB, fan speeds, or OC settings and causing contention that makes the GPU delay response to the OS triggering a reset by the driver based on a timeout delay response mechanism.  Read the post.
ahmadmob
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/20 16:23:52 (permalink)
Thanks for your input benattar, I can't see your link because it seems like you can't link yet but you can put a space after https and it kinda works that way. Anyway it makes sense what you say as I myself have seen people reporting about iCue or such programs were the potential culprit, but it can't be that for me (I always try to keep my Windows as clean as possible and only install important drivers/apps), I have been reading about and troubleshooting this since oct last year and I am aware of almost everything that has been discussed about this issue on the internet. back in nov I even installed fresh Windows without any 3rd party programs as a test and still had the occasional crashes. Also tried without XMP profile (my CPU is already not OCed). So my conclusion is that the cause is one of the following:

1. The nvidia drivers combined with very specific monitors/ram etc.. (most likely as nvidia themselves confirmed this in my post above)
2. The GPU itself (very unlikely as I had a different 3090 back then with same issue)
3. My monitors configuration (maybe)
4. PSU (it's Seasonic 1250w, unlikely but I didn't have any spare one to try)
5. The BIOS of my mobo (probably but it's already the latest for my z370)

As rarwalker said in this topic, it’s random enough to the point where every thing you do will appear to fix it but after few days you're randomly getting a black screen. So it's something that's really hard to troubleshoot.
post edited by ahmadmob - 2021/03/20 16:41:10
oldjsteinhauer
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/20 16:45:01 (permalink)
I will contribute here, before a new post.  The power management fix in the Nvidia control panel has worked thus far...about twenty minutes.  This PC with the 3090 FTW3 is a new build.  Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra 1.1/1.2, 4x8 DDR4, 3xNVME SSD, AIO cooler, mice, keyboards and other USB stuff, optical audio output to KEF speakers with their own power supply and two monitors.  I am currently using an Antec Signature 1000W Titanium PSU.  No overclocking other than XMP for the memory.  I had the same build with a EVGA Supernova 850W T2, and I though my issues were the PSU.  I could not get anything on the display at all.  So I installed this 1000W PSU.  Then I was having the issues everyone else is having, especially with a web browser tab that has streaming video and audio.  It would also randomly start up with the onboard graphics and not recognize the GPU.  

I had the 3090 FTW3 installed in a PC with a EVGA Supernova 1600W T2, and ASUS Prime Z390 board with Core I7 8700k, NVME SSD x 1, 4x8 DDR4 at 3200 or 3600, AIO cooler and the same peripherals and monitors.  The 3090 ran flawlessly for months on this PC.  I moved it when I managed to acquire the new CPU at retail price.  Unfortunately, my new case will not accommodate the 1600W PSU, and the old case will not accommodate the new AIO cooler without removing the optical drive bay, which reminds me that I still have a BD-RW drive in that PC, as well.  

It's either the motherboard or the PSU in my opinion.

Edit: Still uses integrated graphics on startups, about half the time.
post edited by oldjsteinhauer - 2021/03/20 21:37:09
MalsBrownCoat
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/21 13:05:47 (permalink)
I was lucky enough to get in to the preorder queue right when it started, but even though I had received my 3080 FTW3 Ultra, it was sitting in the box for a few months.  Last week I finally got around to installing it and within minutes, I started experiencing the black screen / system unresponsive issues.  I did a lot of online searching and found various reports of this, and then checked every single thing that others had suggested, including hotfix drivers (properly DDU'd), safe mode/minimal resources loaded, stress testing, etc.  Same result every time, at random intervals.  It's clearly not a lack of power issue because I'm running an AX1200i and I don't OC anything.  Plenty of headroom left on every rail.  

I RMAd my card, received the replacement (which had black "lips", as opposed to my original with red) and installed it in hopes to not experience the same issue. 
I ran an intensive 3D Mark test and it passed quite nicely.  
After about an hour later of basic web browsing; black screen / system unresponsive.
*sigh*
And for the record, I'm not getting any kind of driver crashes in event viewer and no other problems are reported when the situation occurs.

I'm aware that this issue is not limited to EVGA though, and I've considered filing for another RMA but it's not likely to resolve anything. 
Might be time to request a full refund and await the next iteration of cards, or at very least, better drivers. 
post edited by MalsBrownCoat - 2021/03/21 13:09:28
ahmadmob
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/21 16:45:21 (permalink)
@MalsBrownCoat what are your system specs/mobo and are you using the latest BIOS?
For now I will be testing on a 5900X system (Asus TUF X570 Pro WIFI with latest BIOS) and will report back after a week or so.
MalsBrownCoat
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/21 17:35:22 (permalink)
I'm on an Intel 9900K, Asus Maximus Formula XI (latest bios), and the GPU must have the latest bios because Precision didn't prompt for an update, as it did with the previous GPU.  
firerain
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/21 19:04:01 (permalink)
I don't think this is a problem with just the 3000 cards. I get this same problem with my 980. And it started after some window update/gpu driver. I did not notice it at first because it is so random. gpu drivers keeps crashing and i get a black screen with the driver crashed sound in windows and the computer keeps working fine.

Pc0 Legion pre built / 3090Fe / 10900k
Pc1 8700k /2x EVGA 3080 TI / EVGA Z375 micro
Pc2 EVGA x99 micro / E5 2678 v3 / 3080 / EVGA 3060, EVGA 1660 ti
Pc3 EVGA x99 micro / E5 2620 v3 / EVGA 3080, 1650
Pc4 HP pre built AMD R5 3500 / 2060 ko
rarwalker
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/22 15:02:28 (permalink)
ahmadmob
Yah let's hope for the best. I was seriously thinking to either get a 6800 XT (if I can even find one) and sell my 3090 or sell the 3090 and skip this whole generation of GPUs, because I know for a fact that getting a new motherboard and CPU isn't guaranteed to fix the issue for me.

Yeah, I am having some buyers remorse as well. I spent over $1000 CAD on this card, and for that kind of money I find these issues infuriating. At least Nvidia has recognized the issue.

I feel like this is something that will need a vBIOS update to fix. Reminds we of how my old GTX1070 with Micron Memory crashed randomly until Nvidia sent out a BIOS update. 

Edit: In hindsight, given my 1070 didn’t work properly until months after I got it, I wonder why I didn’t just buy something else.
post edited by rarwalker - 2021/03/22 19:32:42
Ericthegreat
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 147
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/23 18:30:47 (permalink)
Yes I'm waiting for vbios update this month.
Drinks27
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/25 16:22:36 (permalink)
I thought I was the only one, and then I search the internet and WoW! To even think, that the top of the line graphics card has so many issues...
I also got a Palit 3090 GamingPro this week with some issues in gaming (was primarily wishing to grab an EVGA one, guess what, supplies are all gone...)...
Anyway as I was saying, in gaming, Battlefield 5 is completely unplayable on DP, a bit better on HDMI, RDR2, Dirt Rally 2.0 and so on, some games cause slight to hardcore black screen flickering, some don't flicker even once, for example Forza, Flight Simulator 2020 etc...
So the best deal here is to wait on driver updates I assume?
ahmadmob
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/26 10:45:52 (permalink)
Drinks27
I thought I was the only one, and then I search the internet and WoW! To even think, that the top of the line graphics card has so many issues...
I also got a Palit 3090 GamingPro this week with some issues in gaming (was primarily wishing to grab an EVGA one, guess what, supplies are all gone...)...
Anyway as I was saying, in gaming, Battlefield 5 is completely unplayable on DP, a bit better on HDMI, RDR2, Dirt Rally 2.0 and so on, some games cause slight to hardcore black screen flickering, some don't flicker even once, for example Forza, Flight Simulator 2020 etc...
So the best deal here is to wait on driver updates I assume?

Your black screen in games could be something else and has nothing to do with what we're discussing here, our issue here is only while browsing or video streaming, low load etc.. but never in games. Are you getting any Nvidia or nvlddmkm related crashes logs on Event Viewer?
Try to activate debug mode on Nvidia Control Panel or better yet manually underclock your GPU (something like -25MHz on core clock) to see if that helps, so you can rule the problem out. Some factory overclocks are bad and you need to underclock to make the card stable in certain games.
post edited by ahmadmob - 2021/03/26 10:48:40
jol4nn
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/26 13:36:54 (permalink)
So, over the past week, I've been dealing with random crashes, BSOD, black unresponsive screen, etc.
Searching around, this seems to be a common issue related to driver. Using the software WhoCrashed, nvlddmkm.sys was making my computer crash.Starting with my mining rig, I've encountered those issues. Switched to a different computer, I was able to reproduce the same issue. Therefore, I concluded this was caused by the FTW3 3080.I tried pretty much everything I could find online (DDU, new/old driver version, clean Window Install, changing TDR, disabling Nvidia Container LS services, playing around with cable, changing HDMI cable, etc etc) and nothing fixed my issue. Last night, while (still) investigating the issue, I went into MSI Afterburner settings. I've notice that Low Level IO Drivers and Enable Low Level Access Driver were both enabled, on my two computers that had issues with the 3080. I disabled those two settings and all my issues disappeared... It all made sense since this enables drivers to access the GPU sensors to get a better hardware monitoring. It's probably interfering with Nvidia drivers making nvlddmkm.sys crash. Didn't put the 3080 back into the mining rig yet to see how it goes, but I'm confidant this solved my issues since it's been 24 hours without any crashes. It used to crash every hours or so... sometimes after minutes only.I hope it will help some people out there.

Update. I put the 3080 back into the mining rig and disabled Low Level IO Drivers; No more crashes!
post edited by jol4nn - 2021/03/28 05:56:03
rarwalker
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/26 18:36:56 (permalink)
jol4nn
So, over the past week, I've been dealing with random crashes, BSOD, black unresponsive screen, etc.Searching around, this seems to be a common issue related to driver. Using the software WhoCrashed, nvlddmkm.sys was making my computer crash.Starting with my mining rig, I've encountered those issues. Switched to a different computer, I was able to reproduce the same issue. Therefore, I concluded this was caused by the FTW3 3080.I tried pretty much everything I could find online (DDU, new/old driver version, clean Window Install, changing TDR, disabling Nvidia Container LS services, playing around with cable, changing HDMI cable, etc etc) and nothing fixed my issue. Last night, while (still) investigating the issue, I went into MSI Afterburner settings. I've notice that Low Level IO Drivers and Enable Low Level Access Driver were both enabled, on my two computers that had issues with the 3080. I disabled those two settings and all my issues disappeared... It all made sense since this enables drivers to access the GPU sensors to get a better hardware monitoring. It's probably interfering with Nvidia drivers making nvlddmkm.sys crash. Didn't put the 3080 back into the mining rig yet to see how it goes, but I'm confidant this solved my issues since it's been 24 hours without any crashes. It used to crash every hours or so... sometimes after minutes only.I hope it will help some people out there.

So the core issue was MSI afterburner?
jol4nn
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/26 19:11:08 (permalink)
I have nothing to prove it, but it seems that those special access to your gpu screw your Nvidia drivers. 
In my even manager, I had either ntoskrnl.sys (windows kernel related) or nvlddmkm failing (drivers related). 

Digging around, I found this and that kinda put the pieces together : 

Device drivers, particularly on modern  platforms, can run in  () or in  (Ring 3 on x86 CPUs). The primary benefit of running a driver in user mode is improved stability, since a poorly written user-mode device driver cannot crash the system by overwriting kernel memory. On the other hand, user/kernel-mode transitions usually impose a considerable performance overhead, thus making kernel-mode drivers preferred for low-latency networking.
Kernel space can be accessed by user module only through the use of system calls. End user programs like the UNIX shell or other GUI-based applications are part of user space. These applications interact with hardware through kernel supported functions. 
from wikipedia. 

For my case, core issue was MSI Afterburner.
For other people, it could be any third party monitoring system that has access to your GPU
post edited by jol4nn - 2021/03/26 19:18:08
ahmadmob
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/27 13:29:10 (permalink)
jol4nn...Last night, while (still) investigating the issue, I went into MSI Afterburner settings. I've notice that Low Level IO Drivers and Enable Low Level Access Driver were both enabled, on my two computers that had issues with the 3080. I disabled those two settings and all my issues disappeared... It all made sense since this enables drivers to access the GPU sensors to get a better hardware monitoring. It's probably interfering with Nvidia drivers making nvlddmkm.sys crash...

Thank you for this. That's really interesting and actually makes sense. People who activated debug mode in Nvidia Control Panel didn't experience any crashes anymore and that's probably because debug mode disables any tweaking tool including Afterburner or Precision X, not because Debug mode reverts to reference factory clocks.

I will have to test for at least a week to make sure though. I also upgraded to Ryzen 5900x from a 9900k so now it's impossible for me to say for sure what fixed the problem for me (if it's ever fixed). :D

Hopefully we will have some more solid confirmations about this and if it actually fix the crashes for more people.
post edited by ahmadmob - 2021/03/27 13:32:38
rarwalker
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/27 16:38:22 (permalink)
jol4nn
I have nothing to prove it, but it seems that those special access to your gpu screw your Nvidia drivers. 
In my even manager, I had either ntoskrnl.sys (windows kernel related) or nvlddmkm failing (drivers related). 

Digging around, I found this and that kinda put the pieces together : 

Device drivers, particularly on modern  platforms, can run in  () or in  (Ring 3 on x86 CPUs). The primary benefit of running a driver in user mode is improved stability, since a poorly written user-mode device driver cannot crash the system by overwriting kernel memory. On the other hand, user/kernel-mode transitions usually impose a considerable performance overhead, thus making kernel-mode drivers preferred for low-latency networking.
Kernel space can be accessed by user module only through the use of system calls. End user programs like the UNIX shell or other GUI-based applications are part of user space. These applications interact with hardware through kernel supported functions. 
from wikipedia. 

For my case, core issue was MSI Afterburner.
For other people, it could be any third party monitoring system that has access to your GPU

Makes sense, I think all the times I got crashes I had MSI Afterburner open with that option enabled. I haven’t had a crash in about 2 weeks, and I’ve had Afterburner closed most of the time. I got get some weird 2D glitches from time to time, like a black flash when I open or close an app in Windows.
MalsBrownCoat
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/03/31 08:26:45 (permalink)
Murphy's Law will dictate that I'm going to jinx this by even mentioning it, but...
I think you're on to something, jol4nn.
I made sure that both of those settings were unchecked in Afterburner 3 days ago, and my machine has been running fine ever since.
reinodad
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/04/06 16:47:30 (permalink)
I've had this issue with my EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra start maybe a month or so after using it, I'm now two months in and have experienced a load of black screens while playing valheim, no mans sky, and also whenever I would be streaming to discord, watching streams in discord while playing games. it first happened when I was streaming A Way Out to discord and experienced the crash, that was a month or so ago. Last week the crashes kept coming on more and more frequent, so I decided to reinstall windows. I reinstalled windows, installed precision X1, ryzen master, and geforce experience. I opened no mans sky and the crash happened within 10 minutes. I read a suggestion to uninstall precision X1 so I did and rebooted... I then crashed at my desktop about 3-5 minutes after reboot every time.

So this is where I think I may have actually found a workaround that works for me. I downloaded the latest nvidia driver, put it on my external drive then reinstalled windows without internet and manually installed the driver. didn't install X1, ryzen master, or geforce experience.. I haven't had any crashes so far and have been frequently going to the same areas in no mans sky where I have experienced the crashes.. so far so good. I really hope a fix comes out soon, I don't think RMA'ing my card will resolve the issue as I've read so many others who have RMA'd and experience the same exact issue with a new card.

I'm not sure what was causing it for me exactly, but manually installing the driver on a clean install and leaving out all of the monitoring/OC software seems to have worked well.

I feel like I will never be convinced the issue is gone, expecting the crash to happen at any moment.

edit: i failed to mention that I did a firmware update, after the firmware update is when i uninstalled X1 and experienced a ton more crashes. since doing a fresh install of windows and installing the latest driver(465.89) and not installing X1 I have not experienced any crashes. last night I gamed for quite a few hours also while watching stream on discord, which would usually yield a crash. Hoping this workaround is what did it, or it was just the firmware update + reinstalling the driver
post edited by reinodad - 2021/04/10 10:52:11
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/04/07 18:10:20 (permalink)
Still not having a problem with this after my previous fixes and upgraded to re-bar last week.  Previous page or so is what I did.
rarwalker
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/04/07 20:11:24 (permalink)
kevinc313
Still not having a problem with this after my previous fixes and upgraded to re-bar last week.  Previous page or so is what I did.

In the same boat, the new bios, drivers and Afterburner tweaks seem to have cleared up my issues.
MalsBrownCoat
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/04/08 12:12:51 (permalink)
^ Same.  
safan80
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/04/08 14:13:56 (permalink)
rarwalker
kevinc313

In the same boat, the new bios, drivers and Afterburner tweaks seem to have cleared up my issues.

What tweaks did you use?
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/04/08 18:06:01 (permalink)
safan80
rarwalker
kevinc313

What tweaks did you use?

I previously posted what I did, in this thread.

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3229531
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3233027
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3240844

Keep in mind that with LTSC I'm running an ancient version of W10, 1809.  Also Firefox ESR and MPC. All up to date though, I think. Latest Nvidia driver and the 3080 FTW3 Hybrid 450w re-bar bios. Z390 MSI Re-bar bios, was already a recent bios that had fixed my memory XMP BSOD problems. 9900K with no OC and 4000CL19 2x16.  Haven't been doing any gaming with high OC's so I don't know if tdrdelay 8 causes a soft lock with gpu crash.

post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/04/08 19:07:22
rarwalker
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/04/11 19:11:37 (permalink)
So...

I did find some of my issue with my 3080 black screening seems to be tied to my Sony DH590 Receiver. (I know this sounds kind of crazy) 

If I went to this page () in any web browser. The first time I would load it up my screen would black out and recover a second later. However... it only does that if my HDMI cable is plugged into my receiver. From using the info screen on my receiver, it’s not that the source had an issue but the entire receiver blips in and out. This definitely did not happen with my GTX 1070.

It looks like there is something weird going on with 2d rendering and the signal the card is outputting.

FighterGamer67
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 170
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/06/05 00:10:08 (permalink)
My 1070 black screens while in game play.  Other than that it's fine.  I updated NVIDIA drivers but it's doing the same thing.   When it black screens, I check task manger and my gpu is running at 100% but I thought that was normal.   I can't seem to figure out the issue.  It does it with both my Need for Speed games, which stinks because the game keeps going while I can't see anything. Any solution to what it could be?
cpmdx
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/07/03 08:48:01 (permalink)
I've been having the same issues. When I first got the card back in December it seemed to work fine. Within the last few months it has just been problem after problem. 

Issues only occur when gaming. Ie: Cold War, Warzone, ESO... tarkov update has been running OK as of today.... 1-6 minutes into a game will cause the whole system to freeze, screens go black.. Keyboard is unresponsive and audio is stuttering on repeat... can only hard reset

What I've tried:
-Enabled Resize Bar
-Modified Chrome 2D settings
-Rolled back drivers to v456 via safemode and DDU
-Disabled Asus Aura
-Disabled iCue
-Disabled EVGA Precision X
-Adjusted Nvidia Control Panel Settings (max power, gsync off, etc.)
-Tested a 1080ti - works perfectly fine
-Tried Afterburners and modified settings there
-Followed mostly all other recommendations in this thread 

RMA'd EVGA SuperNova 1000w as I thought that was the initial issue

Problem still continued... brought to Micro Center and they said it was the GPU so I RMA'd my EVGA 3090 FTW 3 Ultra

Got a "New" one lastnight and problem still persists. 

Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Edit: 3090 FTW3 Ultra forgot to mention that which is kind of important

post edited by cpmdx - 2021/07/03 12:15:49
djmrb
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: RTX 3080/3090 Black screen possible solution 2021/07/09 05:43:02 (permalink)
When i play games (for example Destiny 2) and i have max performance enabled+ G-Sync 240Hz with original asus cable - i get random black screens for like 3 seconds on/off, when it says out of range or something like that, so monitor turns on/off and keeps doing so until i alt+tab out to windows, disable G-Sync in nvidia settings. This started happening like 4 nvidia driver version updates ago. I have 3 different PCI-E cables from my corsair rm750x psu, no red error LED's or anything, seems good. What can I do to make this stop?

Monitor Asus 24.5" LED G-Sync ROG Swift PG258Q 240Hz
GPU evga 3080 FTW3 ULTRA.
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile