EVGA

Poll, who has coil whine?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 14
Author
Spike-Hob
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 11:32:45 (permalink)
GTX 970 FTW , had some whine , ran valley overnight , gone . I don't think that it is intrinsically a problem for EVGA , but ALL manufacturers , and is more related to the other hardware in your rig . I have had 5 different GPU`s in this rig over the last 2 1/2 years  , and while ALL of them have had whine of varying levels , they have been easily cured by either burning in , or using v-sync .
drevolutionuk
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 12:49:22 (permalink)
TommyLai
drevolutionuk
I've just received my 970 sc back after an RMA. I have less coil whine than before, but its still there. Costing an arm and a leg to RMA don't know if to send it back or cut my losses : (

I wouldn't RMA it unless it is not bearable for you. Your next card will whine more or less anyway. I keep trying to get one without any whine but really couldn't find one. Those who claimed no whine probably got noisy PC. I usually test my card on my open bench station with no fan and in a quiet room so I know they will whine more or less.

Thanks for the advice, going to try burning in to see if that helps in anyway.
Spike-Hob
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 13:03:13 (permalink)
the coil whine noise definitely seems to be much worse when GPU is pushing out very high FPS , using v-sync to limit fps to refresh eliminates the noise too . I am running Crysis 3 at 1440 , getting 65-70 fps with v-sync ( 120Hz monitor ) no whine .
 I get the impression that , if you go looking for it , you will find it , I only noticed it after reading an article about it two years ago . And as a general rule , it does get better the more you use the card and push it . Good luck , and enjoy your Xmas .
  Nick
Illusion_of_Progress
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 13:44:59 (permalink)
Wow, this thread has grown since I originally posted back on the second page, and that's probably not a good thing...

I just received my replacement, and it, too, makes noise, and exactly like the first did. I was hoping I could just return it and be done with it, because the feedback that some of you have gone through eight (!?) is just ridiculous. There's clearly something wrong the GeForce GTX 970 cards that some are noticing, and others aren't. I'm not sure if some of use heave super hearing or what, but in my situation, I am hearing clearly audible discomforting sounds in very practical scenarios (Minecraft, League of Legends, and a handful of other games, along with the Windows Experience Index).

I'm not sure I have the time, money (gas), and patience to do this at least eight or more times. I know it's neither an EVGA exclusive thing nor nVidia's fault, but it seems to be a very real issue that hasn't truly been addressed, so this could be the last time I buy a product of either brand.
Spike-Hob
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 14:10:19 (permalink)
Try the fixes I have suggested . using heaven or valley benchmark overnight will definitely improve it . possibly look to reroute some cabling , I have found this can cure all sorts of noise and interference issues .
Swosso
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 14:11:43 (permalink)
970ftw, yes :(

Spike-Hob
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 14:15:23 (permalink)
Swosso

Try the fixes I have suggested . using heaven or valley benchmark overnight will definitely improve it . using v-sync too .
Swosso
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 14:25:23 (permalink)
Spike-Hob
Swosso

Try the fixes I have suggested . using heaven or valley benchmark overnight will definitely improve it . using v-sync too .

v-sync is on, how to try? (sorry for my bad english, I'm italian...)

WallysWorld
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 14:56:16 (permalink)
My FTW 970 has a bit of coil whine while running Valley. Not too bad though. I'll try Spike-Hob's suggestion of running Valley overnight and see if it helps.
Spike-Hob
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 16:09:55 (permalink)
Swosso
Spike-Hob
Swosso

v-sync is on, how to try? (sorry for my bad english, I'm italian...)

if you use v-sync , it limits the number of frames to your monitor refresh rate 60 , 120 144 Hz . Coil whine normally happens when your GPU is rendering high frame rates ( too fast for your monitor ) . just play the game that was causing the coil whine with v-sync on , and with it off , see what difference you get
Swosso
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 16:12:49 (permalink)
I'll try...

Spike-Hob
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 16:16:30 (permalink)
good luck , also do the overnight `burn in` by running Uningine Valley or heaven Benchmark on loop overnight , make sure you turn the fan up to avoid any overheating though .
BizSAR
EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 1712
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 17:43:16 (permalink)
No...other than what EVERY fan has........

BizSAR
EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
Illusion_of_Progress
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/15 22:08:39 (permalink)
Spike-Hob
Try the fixes I have suggested . using heaven or valley benchmark overnight will definitely improve it . possibly look to reroute some cabling , I have found this can cure all sorts of noise and interference issues .

I will certainly not run that overnight on my PC in my room with a noise you can hear rooms away (!) for a problem the card has out of the box. I learned my lesson from last time not returning a video card that had borderline issues from the start. It was an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti that ran warm and crashed (Crysis, namely). I later spent more time playing Minecraft and League of Legends and the sorts, and while it ran hot, it mostly never crashed, so I decided not to be "that customer" who returns things over small stuff. The result? I got burned. Or, my graphics card seemingly did. It died in about three years and I found what I believe were burn marks near some chips. The symptom was abnormal visual rendering for just a split flicker second (not like the usual polygonal error rendering of a bad GPU though) which lead to crashing during 3D applications, yet the temperatures were fine (59C).

Come to think of it, when I replaced my old PSU with an EVGA SuperNova G2 750 very recently, it, too, has some whine, but it's only noticeable with the PC off (no fan or drive noise) and when within about a foot or two of the PSU, so it's tolerable.

This graphics cards, however, is nowhere near tolerable. It's not just during the odd loading screen or with thousands of frames that this occurs either. It happens in very practical situations. It's also not a minor noise, but a pretty loud one that also varies as you play (it's like listening to the graphics card make music while playing Minecraft; it's pretty ridiculous...). It happens in Minecraft even, yes! It happens in League of Legends (worse with the frame rate uncapped, though it's not how I play but still). It happens on the Windows Experience Index. It occurs in an MMO I play. It occurs in The Sims 3. I'm sure it'd occur in some other games I have, and maybe not in some others. Yes, all graphics cards have some degree of it, but not anywhere close to the way the GeForce GTX 970 seems plagued by it. I never actually heard it any of my previous GPUs. Did the graphics card industry go the way the PSU industry did the past few generations  and decide coil whine is acceptable or something!? I'm starting to think these actual cards by the AIBs were very poorly made, even if the GeForce GTX 970 chip itself is otherwise fantastic. I just want to return it, get my money back, and avoid it now, but I fear it may be too late. I really don't even want to return it (I want it to work), but I less want to perpetually return a $400 (and cost and time increasing) paper-weight, and I'm starting to fear that's what will happen.

I appreciate the advice, and don't feel like I'm taking frustration out on you, but if there's an issue out of the box, back it should go. They need to manufacture these to be right from the onset in my opinion. I know it doesn't "harm" the GPU but I absolutely cannot use it like this. I don't want to have to worry about "if it comes back" or other issues down the line. If I don't pull it from the box and have it quiet as every other GPU I've ever owned, then I will not do anything further with it.
post edited by Illusion_of_Progress - 2014/12/15 22:19:27
Spike-Hob
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 02:35:45 (permalink)
Illusion_of_Progress
Spike-Hob

I will certainly not run that overnight on my PC in my room with a noise you can hear rooms away (!) for a problem the card has out of the box. I learned my lesson from last time not returning a video card that had borderline issues from the start. It was an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti that ran warm and crashed (Crysis, namely). I later spent more time playing Minecraft and League of Legends and the sorts, and while it ran hot, it mostly never crashed, so I decided not to be "that customer" who returns things over small stuff. The result? I got burned. Or, my graphics card seemingly did. It died in about three years and I found what I believe were burn marks near some chips. The symptom was abnormal visual rendering for just a split flicker second (not like the usual polygonal error rendering of a bad GPU though) which lead to crashing during 3D applications, yet the temperatures were fine (59C).

Come to think of it, when I replaced my old PSU with an EVGA SuperNova G2 750 very recently, it, too, has some whine, but it's only noticeable with the PC off (no fan or drive noise) and when within about a foot or two of the PSU, so it's tolerable.

This graphics cards, however, is nowhere near tolerable. It's not just during the odd loading screen or with thousands of frames that this occurs either. It happens in very practical situations. It's also not a minor noise, but a pretty loud one that also varies as you play (it's like listening to the graphics card make music while playing Minecraft; it's pretty ridiculous...). It happens in Minecraft even, yes! It happens in League of Legends (worse with the frame rate uncapped, though it's not how I play but still). It happens on the Windows Experience Index. It occurs in an MMO I play. It occurs in The Sims 3. I'm sure it'd occur in some other games I have, and maybe not in some others. Yes, all graphics cards have some degree of it, but not anywhere close to the way the GeForce GTX 970 seems plagued by it. I never actually heard it any of my previous GPUs. Did the graphics card industry go the way the PSU industry did the past few generations  and decide coil whine is acceptable or something!? I'm starting to think these actual cards by the AIBs were very poorly made, even if the GeForce GTX 970 chip itself is otherwise fantastic. I just want to return it, get my money back, and avoid it now, but I fear it may be too late. I really don't even want to return it (I want it to work), but I less want to perpetually return a $400 (and cost and time increasing) paper-weight, and I'm starting to fear that's what will happen.

I appreciate the advice, and don't feel like I'm taking frustration out on you, but if there's an issue out of the box, back it should go. They need to manufacture these to be right from the onset in my opinion. I know it doesn't "harm" the GPU but I absolutely cannot use it like this. I don't want to have to worry about "if it comes back" or other issues down the line. If I don't pull it from the box and have it quiet as every other GPU I've ever owned, then I will not do anything further with it.

WOW ! no problems , I am very thick skinned . You really need to let EVGA know how you feel . You are quite right of course , there should not be such a silicon lottery . There seems to be far too much variance in what we the consumer gets . To be fair to EVGA , they seem to respond quickly to issues , I have not had any problems when dealing with them . I hope they get you sorted .
 I do have to say though that I tried a Gainward Phantom 970 before my FTW , and the whine on that was worse than the card I have now ( since my burn in , no whine at all ) .
diabloss
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 02:47:25 (permalink)
Using here 2 way SLI 970 SC , no coil whine at all on both cards. guess i am lucky.

EVGA X99 FTW mobo
Intel Core i7 5820K w/ CoolerMaster Seidon 120V  
2xEVGA GeForce 4GB 970 SC
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Gamer Pro
Chieftec 750 14CS PSU
Thermaltake Kandalf White
LG 1980S LCD + LG 32" XBR HD-LCDTV
RAID0+1 4 x 256gb Crucial M4 SSD 
Steelseries Merc Stealth Keyboard
Steelseries Ikari WoW edition mouse 
_Nite_
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 19175
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 02:48:43 (permalink)
I don't worry about coil whine.... I got a S3 miner that has loud 120MM Delta fans on it, can't hear anything on my system over it, and I use headphones anyway so the noise it puts off doesn't bother me.

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

mosi95
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 14:08:26 (permalink)
Srry for my noob question... My GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 got coil whine at about 40 frames and above. So i'll try a burn-in. Which settings should I set for Benchmark Valley? And for a burn-in what is more important: fps, temperature or loudness of whine? For example in Fury Mark I get 2000 Frames without that fury object and the coil is pretty bad. With the fury thing the temperature increases till the fans hold it down.
Spike-Hob
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 15:11:21 (permalink)
Just set to extreme , use precision X to set performance fan curve . Leave it on loop overnight. But make sure it gets plenty of cooling . That should reduce it right down. See how it is after the over night burn in . I am becoming convinced that the problem is caused by over sensitive PCB on GPU reacting to frequencies being caused by other devices in the PC , which then causes the card to whine under certain circumstances. Good luck .
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49170
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 15:18:58 (permalink)
What's the count so far? 
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2037
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 15:31:19 (permalink)
I use to get a serious whine from one of these.....

Attached Image(s)

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

howdy2u2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 15:52:02 (permalink)
Pgcmoore

hmmm Showing your age.....well I had one too LOL

Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 17:12:50 (permalink)
howdy2u2
Pgcmoore

hmmm Showing your age.....well I had one too LOL

LOL, I forget, I think it was a socket 939?

rshwayder
  • Total Posts : 90
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 19:50:08 (permalink)
I've had my hands on four 970s.

I don't consider super high fps whine to be coil whine (like in menus at 2000 fps). I haven't had a card in years that didn't whine in that situation.

A 970 SC that had minimal to no whine, a 65 ASIC 970 FTW with minimal whine, a 67.9 ASIC FTW with a small amount of coil whine, and a 76.8 ASIC 970 FTW with a slightly buzzy coil whine.

Highest ASIC has the most audible whine. It's a slightly annoying coil buzz if I'm not using audio while gaming, but can't hear it with sound on so I kept it. Its core overclocks well. Memory doesn't hit 2000 like the 67.9 ASIC card, but that card sometimes became unstable at stock (but curiously was super stable when I modded the BIOS to give it more voltage and power).
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 20:06:22 (permalink)
rshwayder
I've had my hands on four 970s.

I don't consider super high fps whine to be coil whine (like in menus at 2000 fps). I haven't had a card in years that didn't whine in that situation.

A 970 SC that had minimal to no whine, a 65 ASIC 970 FTW with minimal whine, a 67.9 ASIC FTW with a small amount of coil whine, and a 76.8 ASIC 970 FTW with a slightly buzzy coil whine.

Highest ASIC has the most audible whine. It's a slightly annoying coil buzz if I'm not using audio while gaming, but can't hear it with sound on so I kept it. Its core overclocks well. Memory doesn't hit 2000 like the 67.9 ASIC card, but that card sometimes became unstable at stock (but curiously was super stable when I modded the BIOS to give it more voltage and power).

Interesting.....

I have notice no coil whine at all from both of my Classified's (980) which both have lower ASIC's of 65.3 and 71.0 , I pushed them a little (until driver failure) caused the system to crash, not from heat even thou the fans were set to not engage until 85c when I first got them and checking them separately before setting them up in SLI.  a connection between leakage and coil whine, more than likely, it makes sense, 

I never checked my 680's ASIC's but will, and will edit this post after I get them in my sons new build, They whine (reference blowers) very noticeably/ but not annoyingly when stressed, and would probably have higher ASIC's if there is a connection.

Apologies to the OP, just read the instructions,  (which about 95% did not follow)

will edit if the poll is not over to ,,  

No
post edited by Pgcmoore - 2014/12/16 20:40:41

_Nite_
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 19175
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/16 21:48:23 (permalink)
The GTX 770 I had was 86.3 ASIC and didn't have any whine, I had to RMA it though (Random black screens when gaming and it wasn't even overclocked), waiting on my replacement.
post edited by _Nite_ - 2014/12/17 02:51:53

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

Illusion_of_Progress
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/17 05:03:51 (permalink)
Spike-Hob
WOW ! no problems , I am very thick skinned . You really need to let EVGA know how you feel . You are quite right of course , there should not be such a silicon lottery . There seems to be far too much variance in what we the consumer gets . To be fair to EVGA , they seem to respond quickly to issues , I have not had any problems when dealing with them . I hope they get you sorted .
 I do have to say though that I tried a Gainward Phantom 970 before my FTW , and the whine on that was worse than the card I have now ( since my burn in , no whine at all ) .

Thank you for not feeling I was venting frustration at you. I just wanted to express how I felt of the whole situation so far.

EVGA's support so far has been nothing less than fantastic, but this situation still is not. They offered another RMA and said the one I returned passed testing. That's not instilling confidence. I would suspect something on my end, but it worked fine with three other graphics cards, and this is a rather typical PC under practical situations, so I'm not sure why even more people haven't noticed these noises. If it's something on my end, I'm lost, because the GeForce GTX 970s have been the constant.

I've been expressing a bit how I feel on that end too (with EVGA support), but I'm not trying to come off as "that customer" or to make any customer service representative's day harder for no real reason. Believe me, it's not to my liking to raise issues (I'm too passive, even), but I just want this to work after being without a real performance card for so long. It's just frustrating and I kind of feel increasingly hopeless.

*sigh* I'm actually partly starting to fear I paid nearly $400 for a GeForce GTX 970 that I'll still be playing an RMA game with and not actually being able to use until the next cards come out (by which time the one I purchased will be worth less, and $400 will get something newer and better). Now how is that fair? I understand faulty products and RMAs are a thing, but from the feedback I'm seeing, this seems like something either you notice or you don't (that is, those who notice it say they do on nearly all, if not all, GeForce GTX 970s). I'm not sure if a design decision was made with these graphics cards that lead to this (I am not informed in that area so I can't say), but it's not like setup is exotic or the situations causing it to occur are unpractical here. Something has to be up with these cards, and I fear that's the case, and that I will be at this indefinitely. I really, truthfully, hope I am very wrong. I want to be wrong, but I am increasingly fearing otherwise...
post edited by Illusion_of_Progress - 2014/12/17 05:12:33
L.Craw
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/17 05:07:49 (permalink)
Posting to say I received my 970 ftw yesterday, all installed, runs everything I throw at it on ultra (bearing in mind I'm on a 1080p monitor at the moment.) It has plenty of coil whine in varying situations, sadly. I'd be more okay with it if it didn't screech so much during specific situations, sometimes it sounds like a rusty nail against a chalkboard. Going to RMA and see what happens with the next one.. I guess it's back to iGPU for a while longer.  Also arrived with a slight mark/crack on the small ftw logo which has been bugging the hell out of me, so maybe the coil whine worked out for the best. 
DirtySouthWookie
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 188
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/17 08:04:24 (permalink)
I really think these cards are just indicative of coil whine. I literally went through 14 different 980s in SLI from different manufacturers. I used different power sources, clean power inverters,  different platinum rated PSUs, and two high end motherboards just to get coil whine from every single card.

Each coil whine was like a snowflake! All were very different. It seemed the further the asic quality was apart, the louder the whine was and pulsated. Cards with Asic within 1% gave off the least whine with no loud pulses. Asus being by far the loudest and unstable. ( I went through 4 )
MSI 2nd loudest. ( went through 2 ) followed my gtx 980 classifieds (used 2) and the quietest was the evga gtx 980 sc 2.0 cards. ( I had to go through 8 before I found a couple that were quiet.

The quiet cards were both 75% asic and can overclock to 1570 stable on air even though I don't over clock at all anymore.

It seems the real silicon lottery isn't asic quality but silent cards.

SLI EVGA GTX 980 TI SC Reference EK WB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNU4xhWA88k
Acer X34 Gsync
16464 FS Extreme:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5638585

robr32
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/17 10:46:09 (permalink)
EVGA GTX 970 FTW X 2 ==> No Whine That I am Aware Of
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 14
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile