PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 69102
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 65
2019/01/11 03:33:11 (permalink)
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/damien-cox/pubgs-global-investigation-into-cheating-has-seen-16-pro-players-suspended/

Continued anti-cheat efforts have seen more than 13 million accounts ousted from PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds throughout 2018, with developer PUBG Corp. capping off the year by launching an investigation into the practice on a global scale. The first four consist of Christian “Cuhris” Narvaez, Liam “Liammm” Tran, Tyler “DevowR” Sti and Mark “Tefl0n” Formaro, who received personal three-year bans from competitive play. This has been decreed as the minimum sentence for being caught cheating during professional play, with a maximum ranging up to a lifetime ban. Each of their teams were also disqualified from the NPL Preseason, replaced by the next four teams that climbed up to the top spots in the Mid- December Qualifiers.

Out of a total twelve more rulings, six were similarly caught cheating during a professional game, resulting in a three-year ban for “Papaya”, “Cabecao”, “swalker”, “zuppaa”, “Houlow” and “sezk0.” 

So even professional players 'cheating' can be caught. 

Specs: AMD 1920X Threadripper, Corsair MP510 M.2, 128GB Corsair RGB Vengeance Pro,  ASRock X399 Taichi, Corsair, 1000D PC, EVGA RTX 2070

15 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 12628
    • Ribbons : 35
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/11 04:52:33 (permalink)
    So pathetic.... 

But when you think about it, there are millions of people cheating in games just in normal servers everyday that aren't getting paid or sponsored to do it - - so I guess it's not surprising to imagine the  'players' who are getting paid are feeling an even bigger pressure to cheat to win .

Intel Core i5-6600K SKYLAKE ~ MSI Z170A-G45 gaming board ~ EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Gaming iCX tech, 9 sensors, RGB LED ~ G.SKILL Ripjaws V series 16 GB DDR4 3200 ~ CORSAIR Vengeance C-70 Military Green case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Platinum2 PSU ~ Crucial MX300 275 Gig SSD ~ CORSAIR H80i V2 cooler ~ Logitech G502 Proteus Core mouse ~ Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard~ HGST NAS -2TB Hd & 4TB Hd.~ Samsung C32HG70 32" HDR Quantum dot LED Curved Gaming Monitor 2560 X 1440 (144Hz / 1ms)
    ~ Win 10 x64 
     STEAM  
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8672
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/11 20:29:30 (permalink)
    Remember folks these are "pros".... LOLOLOLOL Pathetic!!!!!!!!!! Too bad for their teams and teammates if they weren't cheating as well..  
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21367
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/12 05:55:53 (permalink)
    Context, they are being punished for being caught and embarrassing the league they're in. If it's known cheating even happens in esports it throws shade on the league and effects their revenue. They will punish anyone that effects thier revenue stream, not because it's the right thing to do.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/01/12 05:59:05
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3143
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/13 11:06:57 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Context, they are being punished for being caught and embarrassing the league they're in. If it's known cheating even happens in esports it throws shade on the league and effects their revenue. They will punish anyone that effects thier revenue stream, not because it's the right thing to do.

Considering it's just a commercial anyway, Esports can die off an nothing of value will have been lost.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12724
    • Ribbons : 91
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/13 11:25:19 (permalink)
    Why even allow any programs to be used, especially in "pro gaming" -- even the playing field

whitelist what can be used ?

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTW-K-5930K, 2-EVGA2080Ti, EVGA 1200P2
    Rig-2 AIO Folding  X99-5930K 2-1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid, EVGA-1200P2
    Rig-3 Nibbler EVGA X99 Classy-5960X 3GPU H2O 4K Acer-XB280HK  Folding@EVGA

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/14 04:19:28 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Why even allow any programs to be used, especially in "pro gaming" -- even the playing field

whitelist what can be used ?

Stream capture and voice chat software come to mind as needed regardless and that would be a problem if gaming started seeing false positives on those kind of things. Anything with an overlay or hook into the render pipeline is a potential false positive. A lot of things do it but are innocuous.
    GTXJackBauer
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4185
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/14 06:54:51 (permalink)
    I have a conspiracy theory.  I think some companies let loose a bunch of cheaters say like CoD or BF games towards the end of the title before the next game comes out to get gamers sick of the old and lure them to the new.  I always saw a spike in cheats when the game was decently clean for a while towards the end.

Just my conspiratory 2 cents.
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/01/14 06:57:02

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/14 13:59:46 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    I have a conspiracy theory.  I think some companies let loose a bunch of cheaters say like CoD or BF games towards the end of the title before the next game comes out to get gamers sick of the old and lure them to the new.  I always saw a spike in cheats when the game was decently clean for a while towards the end.

My conspiracy theory is two-fold. One that publishers hire false-flag operations with Chinese hackers to defame certain titles. And two, publishers deliberately attract hackers, because that is their target audience for their titles -- the stereotypical internet cafe guy that plays 18 hours a day while aim-botting. There is big money to be had in false outrage and having these sort of people in a cycle of hacking and re-purchasing new accounts once a week to satisfy their existence and then claim high sales of the title. I mean, these sort of games must satisfy some base need of these people for the games to be that popular and it still be happening all the time.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/01/14 14:06:33
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8825
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/14 15:30:58 (permalink)
    Single Player FTW or Private servers, I gaveup on Online gameplay many years back....

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/15 01:40:56 (permalink)
    Disgusting. Just like big sports, esports introduced big money and down the sewer it all went.

MOBO: EVGA P67 FTW, CPU: I5 2500K, RAM: Gskill PI 1600 CAS 6, SSD: Samsung 830 128gb, HDD: WD Caviar Black 750gb, PSU: CoolerMaster V-1000, CPU HSF: EVGA ScC HSF~ P/P 88CFM Yate Loons, G-CARD:EVGA GTX780 w/ EVGA 980ti Hybrid AIO Cooler, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, MON: AOC i2367F, HdSet: steelseries Siberia  

Jan 28th Is Data Privacy Day!!                           Mar 13th Is K9 Veterans Day!!
    NEVER CONFUSE EDUCATION WITH INTELLIGENCE![
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/15 03:18:51 (permalink)
    wmmills
    Disgusting. Just like big sports, esports introduced big money and down the sewer it all went.

I've always felt that the people behind esports are just as much the issue as those participating in it. It takes big money to prop up a fake sport and then put it into convention sized locations. It's an artificial existence.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/01/15 03:32:42
    EVGATech_AlanT
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 160
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/15 06:05:27 (permalink)
    I've always questioned where these league/teams get their players from. Players cheating to be competitive only falls in line with my uneducated theory that these players aren't really all that skilled.
    GTXJackBauer
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/15 12:49:59 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    GTXJackBauer

My conspiracy theory is two-fold. One that publishers hire false-flag operations with Chinese hackers to defame certain titles. And two, publishers deliberately attract hackers, because that is their target audience for their titles -- the stereotypical internet cafe guy that plays 18 hours a day while aim-botting. There is big money to be had in false outrage and having these sort of people in a cycle of hacking and re-purchasing new accounts once a week to satisfy their existence and then claim high sales of the title. I mean, these sort of games must satisfy some base need of these people for the games to be that popular and it still be happening all the time.

Yes!  I forgot to add that to my post.  I couldn't tell you how many times I called out a wall hack/aimbot and their response was "I'll just buy the game again lol" because they start selling these titles for $5-20 during the 2nd half of the game's life, let alone during special sales.

I wish there was a way or a organization funded by all the big game companies that kept an eye on cheats and banned people's IPs.  Than make them pay a heavy sum to get unbanned and make it a 3 strikes you're completely out type of system.  This would make most not bother doing it again just like laws in society.  Not sure how that will fare with those on VPN though.

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/16 14:15:27 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    Brad_Hawthorne
    GTXJackBauer

Yes!  I forgot to add that to my post.  I couldn't tell you how many times I called out a wall hack/aimbot and their response was "I'll just buy the game again lol" because they start selling these titles for $5-20 during the 2nd half of the game's life, let alone during special sales.

I wish there was a way or a organization funded by all the big game companies that kept an eye on cheats and banned people's IPs.  Than make them pay a heavy sum to get unbanned and make it a 3 strikes you're completely out type of system.  This would make most not bother doing it again just like laws in society.  Not sure how that will fare with those on VPN though.

Maybe when they ban someone they need to ban the ip, the account, the person and any info associated with the account so if they buy a new account that one goes too, etc.... just everything.Of course, they would have to make it mandatory that you need to properly fill out your account info before the game will log on. Theres def a way to stop it but frankly its not up to me and I don't have the time or the code chops to figure it out for free right now. :)

MOBO: EVGA P67 FTW, CPU: I5 2500K, RAM: Gskill PI 1600 CAS 6, SSD: Samsung 830 128gb, HDD: WD Caviar Black 750gb, PSU: CoolerMaster V-1000, CPU HSF: EVGA ScC HSF~ P/P 88CFM Yate Loons, G-CARD:EVGA GTX780 w/ EVGA 980ti Hybrid AIO Cooler, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, MON: AOC i2367F, HdSet: steelseries Siberia  

Jan 28th Is Data Privacy Day!!                           Mar 13th Is K9 Veterans Day!!
    NEVER CONFUSE EDUCATION WITH INTELLIGENCE![
    GTXJackBauer
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/20 06:36:32 (permalink)
    wmmills

Maybe when they ban someone they need to ban the ip, the account, the person and any info associated with the account so if they buy a new account that one goes too, etc.... just everything.Of course, they would have to make it mandatory that you need to properly fill out your account info before the game will log on. Theres def a way to stop it but frankly its not up to me and I don't have the time or the code chops to figure it out for free right now. :)

As much as I agree, these game companies would never stop a cheater from buying more games/accounts.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile