EVGA

Helpful ReplyNotice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Author
toyboarder
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 16:11:03 (permalink)
kgtuning
Post the stolen card serial numbers so people know upfront… just like you guys should post the serial numbers of cards affected by poor soldering,”new world” issue.

I think this is the answer. 

The SN are not valid for warranty or Elite or anything, so just post them. This way, a buyer can dump it in a google sheet and do a quick search when buying (either in person or before if the seller will send it to them). If the seller gets weird or balks, walk.

Build: 12600k/6800xt in an H510 Flow
Waiting: 08G-P5-3783-KL 6/30/2021 6:30:57 AM PT
Backup/Portable: Legion 5 Pro 5800h/3070
hitmano02
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 16:22:32 (permalink)
nick_shl
the_Scarlet_oneDo you really, truly, actually think that eBay and PayPal don’t have the sellers information? Really? I honestly can’t tell if you are joking or serious at this point, because everything you have said this far shows that you know little to nothing about any of this process…
Probably identity theft and money mules doesn't exist in your world.

toyboarderLiterally the only one that suffers from this are people that buy
And most unfair thing: seller didn't adequately protect possessions, as result it was stolen. So, seller partially responsible for accident. Buyer doesn't know and can't know that he buying stolen goods off eBay/marketplace/Craigslist. But in the end goods will be returned to seller and buyer will left without anything. I talking in general how system works, not particular about EVGA.

Agreed .  Some people up there recommending bring the gpu to pd .    Pd will take the gpu and buyer will get left out with no gpu and money.  lmao   
Conin
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 16:37:07 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
PLEASE TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that under state and Federal law:
  • It is a criminal and civil offense to “buy or receive” property that has been stolen. Cal. Penal Code section 496(a).
  • It is also a criminal and civil offense to “conceal, sell, withhold, or aid in concealing selling or withholding” any such property.

PLEASE TAKE FURTHER notice that:
  • If you are able to successfully register your product and see it under My Products, then your product is NOT affected by this notice, you can also check the serial number at the EVGA Warranty Check page to see if it is affected.
  • EVGA will NOT REGISTER or HONOR ANY WARRANTY or UPGRADE claims on these products.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but, how are we supposed to know if our GPU comes from a thief?, isn't it way easier to just post the Serial Numbers involved, so we can check them out BEFORE buying anything?
post edited by Conin - 2021/11/03 16:39:48

Core i7 3960X @ 4.8 Ghz - Rampage IV Extreme - 32 GB MUSHKIN @ 2400 - SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified PSU - EVGA GTX 680 4GB Classified 4-WAY SLI
EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4243
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 16:38:22 (permalink)
If you are able to get access to the serial number from the seller, then you can confirm it on our Check Warranty page.
hitmano02
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 16:39:25 (permalink)
Conin
EVGA_JacobF

• It is a criminal and civil offense to “buy or receive” property that has been stolen. Cal. Penal Code section 496(a).
  • It is also a criminal and civil offense to “conceal, sell, withhold, or aid in concealing selling or withholding” any such property.

PLEASE TAKE FURTHER notice that:
        If you are able to successfully register your product and see it under
        , then your product is NOT affected by this notice, you can also check the serial number at the
      page to see if it is affected.EVGA will NOT REGISTER or HONOR ANY WARRANTY or UPGRADE claims on these products.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but, how are we supposed to know if our GPU comes from a thief?, isn't it way easier to just post the Serial Numbers involved, so we can check them out BEFORE buying anything?

Don't worry they won't be in the market .   EVGA backdoored them to mining farms already  
kgtuning
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 16:59:17 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
If you are able to get access to the serial number from the seller, then you can confirm it on our Check Warranty page.

Lol okay…

Let’s think about this… naive person buys a used card but doesn’t realize the card is stolen…
Naive person goes to register “used” card…
Now naive person has logged into evgas website with a stolen card and is now involved into a legal problem because it’s against the law to buy a stolen card.

Post the serial numbers to try and protect the buyer. Stop being a selfish company
kaybyrd
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 17:09:07 (permalink)
Sounds like an inside job tbh
Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8149
  • Ribbons : 45
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 17:11:14 (permalink)
kgtuning
Let’s think about this… naive person buys a used card but doesn’t realize the card is stolen…
Now naive person has logged into evgas website with a stolen card and is now involved into a legal problem because it’s against the law to buy a stolen card.

No, it is a crime to consciously purchase stolen property.  The worst that would happen to your "naive" buyer, is they would lose the card and what they paid for it.  It would be a life lesson not soon forgotten.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24079
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 17:12:47 (permalink)
kgtuning

Lol okay…

Post the serial numbers to try and protect the buyer. Stop being a selfish company

“A naive person logs in and registers the card” and gets a notification to contact EVGA immediately upon that action.. which is exactly what they would need to do even if the serial numbers were blasted all over the place.
d.burnette
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3508
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 17:23:07 (permalink)
Wow just saw this thread, terrible. Hard enough to get GPU's and now suddenly having to deal with this.

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11168
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 17:24:57 (permalink)
You would have to have the GPUs sn to check it from a list that EVGA published
Since you have the sn rather than checking the list you just go online and check at the warranty page

This way you can’t buy a stolen GPU and know you’re not going to get warranty
It protects themselves and maybe make some of the stolen GPU s show up

Always pay with. CC or PayPal

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

nomoss
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 17:47:35 (permalink)
People acting like they have “options” with stolen merchandise. I’ll say it again, possession of stolen goods is a crime once you know the goods are stolen. Selling them to someone else is a crime then, too.

The ONLY protection the “naive buyer” has is to contact the police immediately. It gives you legal protection and a legal claim to damages from the seller. It’s not a guarantee that you’ll recover any of your money, but it’s the only chance you have within the law. And who knows, maybe the company the goods were stolen from will reward you.

But if you keep the card, knowing that it is stolen and then want warranty from the company, then you’ve got some real twisted morals.
Honestly, some people here are starting to look pretty sus.
post edited by nomoss - 2021/11/03 18:10:36

Associates code:  9OYA1P1FRHQ3SGN
Imgur    modsrigs:  Chemical X   RedWing   Utonium   TY for the +1s! 

EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4243
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 18:19:55 (permalink)
I'm sure that there are some here that honestly believe posting a list of serial numbers may help people avoid making a purchase of stolen goods.  Many of you are overlooking the possibility that a seller in possession of stolen goods may remove the serial number sticker from the card to avoid this very issue.  With that said, I'm sure that many of you demanding a list care little for innocent end-users and would like to see a list to count how many and which part numbers were stolen.  This information, of course, would be provided to the authorities and will not be released to the public.

Remember, EVGA has no obligation to inform the public that a shipment was stolen, or inform people that there may be legal liability when purchasing a stolen product.  However, by doing so, perhaps some people might think a bit harder about purchasing a card from a suspicious third-party seller and avoid that situation.

As others have said, if an unaware buyer purchases the product and goes to register it without knowing about this situation, there is little that EVGA can do to improve the situation.  They are already purchasing a product from an unauthorized third-party, which bears its own set of risks.  If they need to contact EVGA for service and learn about the situation, they can take further steps at that time.  Having the stolen product in their possession creates the legal problem, not when they try to register it.  Being unaware of the nature of the goods is generally a legal defense if surrendered upon learning about the good's status.

If the buyer cannot obtain the serial number prior to purchase, then a list of serial numbers will not help them if they cannot compare...serial numbers.  If the buyer can obtain the serial number prior to purchase, then they can use our Warranty Check page to determine the warranty status.  You don't need to be logged in to use the utility or provide additional details to use the search. 

If someone enters a serial number from a stolen card into our Warranty Check page, it's only going to notify them that the product is stolen, has no warranty, and direct them to this thread for more information.
staypuft
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3764
  • Ribbons : 31
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 19:04:50 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
I'm sure that ...
If someone enters a serial number from a stolen card into our Warranty Check page, it's only going to notify them that the product is stolen, has no warranty, and direct them to this thread for more information.

Not much more you can do at this point... appreciate that you gave us a heads-up and we will spread the word.  Ignore the naysayers, you did the right thing.
post edited by staypuft - 2021/11/03 19:06:11

Interested in a discount on EVGA products?
Click here for details and enter this Associates code at checkout >> 2ILPLQQ8IWY8DPN

2021 Build: Gigabyte Z590 Ultra | Core i7-10700K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Asus TUF VG27AQL1A
Method320
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 20:08:12 (permalink)
What's the reason behind not honoring warranties? Surely the delivery company has insurance?
nomoss
FTW Member
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 20:11:47 (permalink)
Method320
What's the reason behind not honoring warranties? Surely the delivery company has insurance?

Name one company that honors warranties on stolen goods?
The delivery companies didn't deliver to the person with stolen goods, did they?
The thread is only 4 pages old.  Catch up.
post edited by nomoss - 2021/11/03 20:13:51

Method320
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 20:19:37 (permalink)
nomoss
Method320

The delivery companies didn't deliver to the person with stolen goods, did they?

Thats...not generally how that works. The delivery company failed to deliver goods. So in theory their insurance would pay EVGA. That's kind of what insurance is for. 

So unless somehow the delivery company evga uses doesn't insure their deliveries, I would think evga would be getting a check for the amount evga is out.
Bowenac
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4900
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 20:47:02 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
I'm sure that there are some here that honestly believe posting a list of serial numbers may help people avoid making a purchase of stolen goods.  Many of you are overlooking the possibility that a seller in possession of stolen goods may remove the serial number sticker from the card to avoid this very issue.  With that said, I'm sure that many of you demanding a list care little for innocent end-users and would like to see a list to count how many and which part numbers were stolen.  This information, of course, would be provided to the authorities and will not be released to the public.

Remember, EVGA has no obligation to inform the public that a shipment was stolen, or inform people that there may be legal liability when purchasing a stolen product.  However, by doing so, perhaps some people might think a bit harder about purchasing a card from a suspicious third-party seller and avoid that situation.

As others have said, if an unaware buyer purchases the product and goes to register it without knowing about this situation, there is little that EVGA can do to improve the situation.  They are already purchasing a product from an unauthorized third-party, which bears its own set of risks.  If they need to contact EVGA for service and learn about the situation, they can take further steps at that time.  Having the stolen product in their possession creates the legal problem, not when they try to register it.  Being unaware of the nature of the goods is generally a legal defense if surrendered upon learning about the good's status.

If the buyer cannot obtain the serial number prior to purchase, then a list of serial numbers will not help them if they cannot compare...serial numbers.  If the buyer can obtain the serial number prior to purchase, then they can use our Warranty Check page to determine the warranty status.  You don't need to be logged in to use the utility or provide additional details to use the search. 

I totally understand what you're saying for the most part, but I don't understand why any of this is even needed...

We all know that if someone is trying to sell stolen GPU's... well they're not going to have a receipt from an authorized seller, so the warranty would be useless anyway since from my understanding, EVGA had changed how warranties work a while back. I purchased a used EVGA PSU a while back, and by the time I got around to using it there was an issue with the 12v rail. I opened a claim because well... the PSU showed it was still within warranty. I was denied because I could not show proof of purchase since I purchased it second hand which is a joke if I'm being honest. The warranty used to be applied to the product itself.

So again, none of this even matters, this didn't even need to be posted, it would have made more sense to mention something like... WARNING: some EVGA cards have been stolen, please remember that a receipt is required for us to honor a warranty claim.
nick_shl
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1073
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 21:14:16 (permalink)
BowenacI was denied because I could not show proof of purchase since I purchased it second hand which is a joke if I'm being honest.
Warranty terms:
Transferable Limited Warranty (Second-Hand Purchasers)
Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, the Transferable Limited Warranty is available to second-hand purchasers with a valid proof of purchase of the transaction between the current owner and the previous owner.

Secondhand Owners - Secondhand owners of a product shipped from EVGA on or after May 25th, 2018 must provide a proof of purchase of the sale from the previous owner to you, the current owner.

So, it may be eBay listing, it may be some piece of paper where seller will write "I am, seller, sold this product to buyer". I wondering what prevent buyer to make such paper by himself if he doesn't have one...

Use associate code to save 3% on your EVGA GPU purchase! And up to 10% on other products!
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 8859
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 21:15:10 (permalink)
hitmano02
ask for serial numbers first?  Sure you can ask, you can ask anything you want .    But any seller with half of brain will turn you down.   How do I know you are not faming elite accounts with my cards?   How about you zelle me $1000 to prove you are not trying to scam for a SN ?    

Cool they turn you down for the serial number. Other people are selling cards and you ask someone else...

Personally I would want verification I have some sort of warranty and that the police won't knock on my door to get back stolen property when I spend $1,000 and if I can't be assured that then I would spend my money with someone else.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

nomoss
FTW Member
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 21:28:32 (permalink)
Method320
Thats...not generally how that works. The delivery company failed to deliver goods. So in theory their insurance would pay EVGA. That's kind of what insurance is for. 

nick_shl
Secondhand Owners - Secondhand owners of a product shipped from EVGA on or after May 25th, 2018 must provide a proof of purchase of the sale from the previous owner to you, the current owner.
So, it may be eBay listing, it may be some piece of paper where seller will write "I am, seller, sold this product to buyer". I wondering what prevent buyer to make such paper by himself if he doesn't have one...

Does not change that these are now stolen goods.  Nobody warranties stolen goods.

nick_shl
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1073
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 21:30:50 (permalink)
nomoss
nick_shl

Does not change that these are now stolen goods.  Nobody warranties stolen goods.
My answer was to Bowenac post - he bought legit second hand PSU.

Use associate code to save 3% on your EVGA GPU purchase! And up to 10% on other products!
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 21:44:17 (permalink)
Method320
nomoss
Method320

So unless somehow the delivery company evga uses doesn't insure their deliveries, I would think evga would be getting a check for the amount evga is out.

So if I steal your car and your insurance co pays you for the car, I can come over and you will help me fix it when the starter dies?

playboyer
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 21:48:45 (permalink)
Damn there goes my queue in the step-up program.
Bheleu
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 22:02:32 (permalink)
Why would anyone register a used card they bought off of ebay, or from an non retail source?

Now if I did buy a card from ebay, and I had a serial number, I could contact EVGA and let them know if I purchased one of their stolen cards, etc. If you do not publish the list, then good luck finding the culprits involved. I know you would be concerned if you publish the list then someone might not try to register the stolen cards; however, you are assuming your users are criminals first as opposed to honest people first. Good luck, and hope you can locate them.
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 22:14:11 (permalink)
Bheleu
Why would anyone register a used card they bought off of ebay, or from an non retail source?

Now if I did buy a card from ebay, and I had a serial number, I could contact EVGA and let them know if I purchased one of their stolen cards, etc. If you do not publish the list, then good luck finding the culprits involved. I know you would be concerned if you publish the list then someone might not try to register the stolen cards; however, you are assuming your users are criminals first as opposed to honest people first. Good luck, and hope you can locate them.

You register the card so the warranty transfers to you.
With EVGA 2nd 3rd 4th hand owners are still covered with a warranty for three years no matter where you buy it.
Three years from when it leaves the EVGA warehouse.
Just after a certain date you have to have a receipt. Can be hand written, a paypal money xfer receipt, ebay receipt ect...  

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 22:18:06 (permalink)
Also someone would register a product no matter how old or where you bought it if you want cust support.
Like need a cable for a PSU or a backplate for a motherboard or screws for a GPU and so on.
They will not help you if it is not registered.

smudgerox
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/04 00:07:01 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF needs to edit his post. There's no reason to lie by omission, especially when you are citing a penal code. If this came from the legal department, it's an even worse offense.

(a) Every person who buys or receives any property that has been stolen or that has been obtained in any manner constituting theft or extortion, knowing the property to be so stolen or obtained(...)

Saying that it's illegal to keep it once you find out, sure. That's included in the penal code, and as previously said in the thread, turn it in, file a chargeback if possible, whatever. It's a lot of paperwork and hassle. But omitting this in order to scare users is sickening behavior. 

HeavyHemi
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13876
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/04 00:27:03 (permalink)
smudgerox
EVGA_JacobF needs to edit his post. There's no reason to lie by omission, especially when you are citing a penal code. If this came from the legal department, it's an even worse offense.

(a) Every person who buys or receives any property that has been stolen or that has been obtained in any manner constituting theft or extortion, knowing the property to be so stolen or obtained(...)

Saying that it's illegal to keep it once you find out, sure. That's included in the penal code, and as previously said in the thread, turn it in, file a chargeback if possible, whatever. It's a lot of paperwork and hassle. But omitting this in order to scare users is sickening behavior. 

You're silly accusing Jacob of both lying and acting as an attorney.  The only persons that would be scared are those purchasing from a sketchy source.
Your post is sickening attention seeking behavior. Wow.
post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/11/04 00:28:09

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

smudgerox
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/04 00:32:41 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
smudgerox

You're silly accusing Jacob of both lying and acting as an attorney.  The only persons that would be scared are those purchasing from a sketchy source.
Your post is sickening attention seeking behavior. Wow.

It's objectively lying by omission, and where did I say he was acting as an attorney?

forum posts: 15,105
reading comprehension: 0

Incredible.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile