EVGA

Helpful ReplyNotice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Author
j0hnnyboy
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 12:47:10 (permalink)
ZoranC
Nereus
Does EVGA have all the serial numbers? If so, perhaps PUBLISH THEM ...

+1 If you have serial numbers publish them. That way you will protect innocent people from being sold stolen property.

I would also like to see this happen. If you don't want to publish the list, at least make a web tool available for users to query a serial number to see if it's stolen or not.

Just had a thought.. since you're not honoring warranty claims for these devices, would a standard warranty lookup return as invalid?
nick_shl
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1073
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 12:50:44 (permalink)
nomossA buyer who purchased in good faith goes to his own local police, and works with them.  That police office will contact EVGA to return the property.
How about "Bona fide purchaser"? Also it EVGA got insurance payment, GPUs not their properties anymore - in this case insurance company will have rights on recovered GPUs.

Use associate code to save 3% on your EVGA GPU purchase! And up to 10% on other products!
nomoss
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 12:57:03 (permalink)
nick_shl
nomossA buyer who purchased in good faith goes to his own local police, and works with them.  That police office will contact EVGA to return the property.
How about "Bona fide purchaser"? Also it EVGA got insurance payment, GPUs not their properties anymore - in this case insurance company will have rights on recovered GPUs.

Again, not how any of this works.  You cannot legally keep stolen property, once it is known to be stolen.  The buyer goes to the police to file a report and can then take that report to the seller to get a refund.  If the seller refuses the refund, then the buyer can sue the seller.  Alternately, if the buyer used a CC and it's within the time frame, the buyer can take that police report to the credit card provider to initiate a chargeback.
The GPU goes to an evidence room and will eventually be returned to EVGA.  It IS legally EVGA's property at this point.  If EVGA has (and this is an if, because all this insurance talk is just forum spin) received a payout from the insurance company, maybe they have to deal with them.  But, in all likelihood, the GPU will be destroyed or perhaps remanufactured because EVGA cannot sell it as a "new" product once it has been stolen and cannot guarantee that it has not been tampered with.  
And I have my own anecdotal evidence because I was a sales manager at a store where iphones got stolen and had to deal with much of this myself, in coordination with our fraud department.  Which doesn't make me an expert by any means, but at least I'm not spinning stuff off the top of my head trying to make EVGA look bad somehow.
post edited by nomoss - 2021/11/03 13:00:43

Associates code:  9OYA1P1FRHQ3SGN
Imgur    modsrigs:  Chemical X   RedWing   Utonium   TY for the +1s! 

mbolling
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:06:44 (permalink)
LVNeptune
mbolling
So why did you take cards away from San Francisco?   Could use them up here too yanno,  especially since I'm so (im)patiently waiting for my queue email.

...This is what you got from this?

Lighten up Francis...  it's a joke, tying in with the whole "It's pretty damn difficult to get these unicorns unless you're willing to pay"

nick_shl
FTW Member
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:13:18 (permalink)
nomossIf the seller refuses the refund, then the buyer can sue the seller.
How buyer can sue some seller on eBay if he know only eBay nickname? Shouldn't buyer find seller first? Since seller can faced criminal charges for selling stolen property I bet it will be impossible to identify him. So, buyer the only one who suffer in this situation - no card, no money.

Use associate code to save 3% on your EVGA GPU purchase! And up to 10% on other products!
staypuft
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4013
  • Ribbons : 31
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:18:05 (permalink)
Simply put. Check what you buy second-hand or from alternate channels (non authorized channels), use warranty checker, pay with a credit card (not debit card) that has fraud protection. Ask for the serial number up front.

Remember, ebay has buyer protections. Winning a case should be a piece of cake with a police report, photos, and warranty screenshot / email from evga stating it is stolen property. There is no need to panic. Just, Be, Cautious.

PSA: using your debit card for online purchases is risky. Ask yourself this, can I live with my bank account getting drained the day before my mortgage or rent is due? It doesn't even have to be fraud. Stores sometimes double-charge you by mistake, and it takes time to process refunds.

Interested in a discount on EVGA products?
Click here for details and enter this Associates code at checkout >> 2ILPLQQ8IWY8DPN

2021 Build: Gigabyte Z590 Ultra | Core i7-10700K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Asus TUF VG27AQL1A
hitmano02
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:18:56 (permalink)
nomoss
nick_shl

Again, not how any of this works.  You cannot legally keep stolen property, once it is known to be stolen.  The buyer goes to the police to file a report and can then take that report to the seller to get a refund.  If the seller refuses the refund, then the buyer can sue the seller.  Alternately, if the buyer used a CC and it's within the time frame, the buyer can take that police report to the credit card provider to initiate a chargeback.
The GPU goes to an evidence room and will eventually be returned to EVGA.  It IS legally EVGA's property at this point.  If EVGA has (and this is an if, because all this insurance talk is just forum spin) received a payout from the insurance company, maybe they have to deal with them.  But, in all likelihood, the GPU will be destroyed or perhaps remanufactured because EVGA cannot sell it as a "new" product once it has been stolen and cannot guarantee that it has not been tampered with.  
And I have my own anecdotal evidence because I was a sales manager at a store where iphones got stolen and had to deal with much of this myself, in coordination with our fraud department.  Which doesn't make me an expert by any means, but at least I'm not spinning stuff off the top of my head trying to make EVGA look bad somehow.

A shipment of cards.   Especially if they are stolen they will get sold overseas.    So you think a buyer is so dumb they go to pd to surrender their gpu which they paid for ?    As for the refund.    I'm pretty sure if you try to ask for refund without returning the stuff or the seller is just a random guy in a parking lot.   They will tell you to go pound sand.   How do you sue someone without knowing their real name or where they live lol?   And you really think buyers willing to go  through all this trouble for a gpu that they don't get to keep ?   And what the buyer is trying to achieve?  get a cookie from EVGA?     I don't know about you but any private face to face transaction will be in cash or something you can't chargeback on.   If you tell me you want to pay with cc i will tell you F off too.   

Police will likely keep the gpu for himself or gift it to family as well .   Not all cops are your friends .

Lot of replies here are so unrealistic .   We don't live in a perfect world .  

In this case . evga , thief win.  gamer lost.
nomoss
FTW Member
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:19:40 (permalink)
nick_shl
How buyer can sue some seller on eBay if he know only eBay nickname? Shouldn't buyer find seller first? Since seller can faced criminal charges for selling stolen property I bet it will be impossible to identify him. So, buyer the only one who suffer in this situation - no card, no money.

ebay has buyer protections in place.  Customer will also have the protections of the payment method they used in that case.  They also verify sellers (in theory) of high-profile items.
If the buyer is unfortunate enough to pay cash, then they are subject to the age old maxium:  caveat emptor.
In what possible world would EVGA be the bad guy for not supporting a product that they didn't sell and wasn't sold legally by a third party?  I know you like to argue Nick but this is getting into the real of the absurd now.

ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 972
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:22:04 (permalink)
Man, why are people getting so worked up over this? This was little more than a public service announcement. Take it for what it is, and don’t buy from sketchy people if you’re concerned about buying a stolen card.

nomoss
FTW Member
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:26:15 (permalink)
hitmano02

So you think a buyer is so dumb they go to pd to surrender their gpu which they paid for ?    As for the refund.    I'm pretty sure if you try to ask for refund without returning the stuff or the seller is just a random guy in a parking lot.   They will tell you to go pound sand.   How do you sue someone without knowing their real name or where they live lol?   And you really think buyers willing to go  through all this trouble for a gpu that they don't get to keep ?   And what the buyer is trying to achieve?  get a cookie from EVGA?     I don't know about you but any private face to face transaction will be in cash or something you can't chargeback on.   If you tell me you want to pay with cc i will tell you F off too.   

Police will likely keep the gpu for himself or gift it to family as well .   Not all cops are your friends .

Lot of replies here are so unrealistic .   We don't live in a perfect world .  

In this case . evga , thief win.  gamer lost.    

If the buyer chooses to keep stolen property then they are breaking the law.  Still, they may choose to take that risk but will not be getting the warranty that would come with a legally obtained product.  Their choice, their consequences.

Fact is, buying from unauthorized dealers or some guy out of the back of a truck is risky behavior.  Would love for someone to explain to me why it is not.
Even so, you have steps that you can take to try to recover your money.  Not following those steps ensures that, yes, the thief likely wins.  But the idea that EVGA "wins" by losing a shipment of stock that they *may* get reimbursed at the cost of the items is ridiculous.
post edited by nomoss - 2021/11/03 18:58:55

nick_shl
FTW Member
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:30:14 (permalink)
nomossebay has buyer protections in place. Customer will also have the protections of the payment method they used in that case.
90 days for eBay purchase protection. 120 days for chargeback for credit card. As I said earlier, many people doesn't bother to register card right away. They can try to do it year later when(if) they will need to RMA it.

nomossIn what possible world would EVGA be the bad guy for not supporting a product that they didn't sell and wasn't sold legally by a third party?
Where I said that "EVGA the bad guy"? I said buyer poor guy, because only buyer suffer in this situation(EVGA will get insurance and not loose anything, thief will get profit from cards and probably will not caught) .

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:32:43 (permalink)
AngelicDroid
Nereus
One thing's for sure: DO NOT BUY GPUs ON EBAY or similar marketplaces - you may end up with a GPU with no warranty, and the police at your door to retrieve the stolen property.

Where else are you going to buy from, I've been on their queue more than a year ago and still haven't got any notification. It's almost impossible to but from retail. I guess I just have to avoid buying EVGA product.

If you want to pay 150-200% x retail (or more) and take the risk it's a stolen card so you may end up losing the card as well...

Many of the queues appear to be moving now, hopefully you'll get your notification soon!

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

hitmano02
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:41:14 (permalink)
guy above me is living in a fantasy world.    You have no idea how insurance works or the market for these cards.    Any miner would be happy to take these cards for cheap and hit ROI sooner.   

I have distributor connections can get evga cards in bulk and evga is shoving 1 gpu + 5 psu bundle to us lately+ all the exploded 3090 and a few DOA B-stock cards i got I wouldn't be surprised EVGA pull a fast one on insurance .  
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11105
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:44:50 (permalink)
Never argue with a fool in public lest the public not know which is which.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

sh3nl0ng16
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:53:15 (permalink)
My question is: "How do we know that is it stolen or not if I buy a card on Ebay?"
EVGA_Lee
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:55:51 (permalink)
sh3nl0ng16
My question is: "How do we know that is it stolen or not if I buy a card on Ebay?"

Best you can do is to ask for the serial number from the seller.  If the seller provides it, you can check it here:  https://www.evga.com/warranty/check.asp

If the product has a serial number from the stolen shipment, you will see an error message here, along with further instructions to contact us.
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 13:59:47 (permalink)
bill1024
Never argue with a fool in public lest the public not know which is which.

Truer words were never spoken

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8295
  • Ribbons : 45
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 14:01:29 (permalink)
If the seller will give you the serial number, you can check it here: https://www.evga.com/warranty/check.asp.  Of course, they could say no and/or ship you a different serial numbered card.

So with eBay, it is always "caveat emptor."

^I see my typing was slow again.
post edited by Flint 1760 - 2021/11/03 14:03:00

defensor
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 253
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 14:06:44 (permalink)
This is truly a sad commentary on how parts of our society operate.  This is nothing new.  Criminals have always trafficked in stolen goods.  Graphics cards are a hot commodity.  When there is an opportunity for them to steal them, they will.  It could be toilet paper, peanut butter, diamonds, gold, or GPU’s.

California has the highest incidence of property crime in the United States in 2020.  I can only imagine what it is in 2021 with newly enacted laws and ordinances concerning prosecution of low-level theft.  It is unsurprising to see photographs of hundreds of yards of empty cardboard boxes lining rail lines after rail cars being looted and emptied.  Cargo theft is measured in billions of dollars.
It’s a lazy and shallow argument to say “EVGA will get insurance money to cover the cost.” Where exactly does the insurance get their money?  We all pay the price for this chicanery.  Higher costs in insurance rates are passed along to the insurance customer.  The merchant/manufacturer does not absorb the cost.  It is passed along to the consumer of the goods in higher prices. 

Sometimes, the cost of doing business in high crime areas is prohibitive. We have seen evidence of this in San Francisco recently.  These closures are not strictly a crime/insurance problem…lack of law enforcement, prosecution, decriminalization, and labor/tax have massive roles.
All around, this is a depressing event, but not surprising.   I hope the individuals are caught, prosecuted, and pay the price for what they have done. 
kgtuning
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 14:07:11 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
sh3nl0ng16

Best you can do is to ask for the serial number from the seller.  If the seller provides it, you can check it here:  https://www.evga.com/warranty/check.asp

If the product has a serial number from the stolen shipment, you will see an error message here, along with further instructions to contact us.

Post the stolen card serial numbers so people know upfront… just like you guys should post the serial numbers of cards affected by poor soldering,”new world” issue.
nomoss
FTW Member
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 14:08:16 (permalink)
nick_shl
nomossebay has buyer protections in place. Customer will also have the protections of the payment method they used in that case.
90 days for eBay purchase protection. 120 days for chargeback for credit card. As I said earlier, many people doesn't bother to register card right away. They can try to do it year later when(if) they will need to RMA it.

Caveat emptor.

An important lesson to always register your products right away while you have all receipts in hand and can look for the tiny labels with microscopic numbers without crawling into your pc case.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 14:13:33 (permalink)
nick_shl

Do you really, truly, actually think that eBay and PayPal don’t have the sellers information? Really? I honestly can’t tell if you are joking or serious at this point, because everything you have said this far shows that you know little to nothing about any of this process…
toyboarder
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 14:29:38 (permalink)
nick_shl
ObscureEmpyreIt is illegal to purchase stolen goods.
I always thought that it is illegal to purchase stolen goods only if you know that it is stolen.
Life isn't fair: EVGA will get insurance, thief will sell card for profit, innocent people who will buy card will get no support at all.

Exactly, EVGA might not get money from the 'cards' but they're going to get reimbursed by insurance. The thieves will get their money, no problem. Literally the only one that suffers from this are people that buy, and again, you can't buy these cards through normal channels right now. If you wake up tomorrow, and your computer effing dies, the only way to get a card in a day or two is from a scalper. That's it, unless you want an AMD card for 2-3x MSRP I guess.

If this was a year ago and you could just go to BB or MC and buy a card @ MSRP, and it would be obvoius that a card below MSRP was probably 'shady', okay fine. But it's not, it's crazy times. I realize the situation EVGA is in, but from a scarce resource perspective this is kind of messed up.

Build: 12600k/6800xt in an H510 Flow
Waiting: 08G-P5-3783-KL 6/30/2021 6:30:57 AM PT
Backup/Portable: Legion 5 Pro 5800h/3070
ki11in
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 14:59:34 (permalink)
Just offer 5 free 3080s for a arrest bounty and it will be solved by the end of the week 
post edited by ki11in - 2021/11/03 15:02:10
ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 972
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 15:00:43 (permalink)
sh3nl0ng16

If buying a 3000 series card from eBay, buy from someone who has a high positivity rating and more than just a couple of sales under their belt.

kagato82
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 15:24:02 (permalink)
Hopefully the perps will be brought to justice! 
nick_shl
FTW Member
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 15:25:00 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_oneDo you really, truly, actually think that eBay and PayPal don’t have the sellers information? Really? I honestly can’t tell if you are joking or serious at this point, because everything you have said this far shows that you know little to nothing about any of this process…
Probably identity theft and money mules doesn't exist in your world.

toyboarderLiterally the only one that suffers from this are people that buy
And most unfair thing: seller didn't adequately protect possessions, as result it was stolen. So, seller partially responsible for accident. Buyer doesn't know and can't know that he buying stolen goods off eBay/marketplace/Craigslist. But in the end goods will be returned to seller and buyer will left without anything. I talking in general how system works, not particular about EVGA.

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10103
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 15:44:50 (permalink)
This is also a good reason to never pay cash for a graphics card and instead use something traceable when buying a used card. If you tried to register a card that was stolen and have the police knocking on your door it would be far easier to track the money trail if it's not cash.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

hitmano02
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 15:55:15 (permalink)
ask for serial numbers first?  Sure you can ask, you can ask anything you want .    But any seller with half of brain will turn you down.   How do I know you are not faming elite accounts with my cards?   How about you zelle me $1000 to prove you are not trying to scam for a SN ?    
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11105
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Notice of Stolen EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards 2021/11/03 16:01:42 (permalink)
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile