Need help. Boot disk failure.

Author
agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 20
2015/11/30 10:48:29 (permalink)
My system has been working 100% perfect till a few days ago. I went from 8 to 16 gigs of ram a few weeks ago and that's when I started having problems. The ram is good, the timing and voltage is fine and it shows up. After I put my system to sleep, upon waking up, it is going to the bios screen and then I am getting a disk boot failure. I have physically checked all the cables, I swapped sata ports and changed some little stuff in bios making sure that the boot order is correct. I messed with the achi and then changed it to IDE in bios getting a little further into start up each time where windows start screen would animate just a little and then a very quick bsod and then restart. I have everything at stock clocks right now and I switched it back to achi and only have the hard disk (ssd) as a boot option. It now went to start up repair, turned itself off and when I turn it on, it is fine but I bet the next time I power down or go to sleep, this will all happen again. Is there something obvious I messed up that I am missing? I don't know all of the options in bios and generally leave things alone except to check with timing/voltages/boot orders and such.

The only thing I have not done was flashed the bios, it is original. Reading up on it sounds like flashing a bios is like playing Russian roulette. I have done it before in the past on other computers but everything I have read says don't do it unless you have to. I just want to make sure I am not missing something simple first. The ssd with the OS on it is a new (a few months old ) samsung 850 evo with a fairly fresh install. The mobo is a gigabyte Z68P-DS3 and has some Q flash deal on it and as mentioned, everything else is kept at stock with correct voltages if any of that info helps... Thanks in advance for any help!

4 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Need help. Boot disk failure. 2015/11/30 11:09:50 (permalink)
    Hello agent8,

OS is Win 7 ?

You covered some good basics.

I would boot into safe mode if it happens again - this usually lets Win sort itself out.

Maybe double check your sleep mode settings in BIOS & hibernate settings in Windows - may be too small - you added RAM.

I have had issues on reboot, if one of my security software products does a scan and my machine then goes to sleep - seems it tried to auto restart - upon waking the boot order was off for unknown reasons.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

agent8
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8248
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: Need help. Boot disk failure. 2015/11/30 11:11:45 (permalink)
    Yes, Windows 7 pro 64. I will try that. Thank you.
    KenMcC
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3329
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: Need help. Boot disk failure. 2015/11/30 15:11:53 (permalink)
    IDE has a very low Size in GB and will not work on larger than 128 G drive. 

KenMcC
    Z170 Classy K; i7-6700 CPU,
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14
    Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W;
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256 GB 
    Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SATA
    Samsung 850 Evo 256 GB SATA
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 250 GB SATA

Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
    Windows 10 x64 Prof.  
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Need help. Boot disk failure. 2015/12/04 12:45:43 (permalink)
    agent8
    Yes, Windows 7 pro 64. I will try that. Thank you.

All good now?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile