EVGA

Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot.

Author
Baltothewolf
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3655
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
2014/03/03 20:30:00 (permalink)
This started after I de-lided my CPU (which was a success, the hot cores dropped by 10C on idle). I can't get the mobo to detect in the X16 slot (slot-1). It works just fine in slot 2, but I only have x4 in that slot so I'm sure I'll be losing performance even on a 470... I don't understand how this is possible, I didn't chip the CPU whatsoever, and when I was taking it out I never even touched the motherboard... Anyone have any ideas? I already disabled igpu and put it on PEG mode but that didn't work, did I break the mobo somehow?

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
-7700HQ.
-16GB RAM.
-GTX 1070.
-128GB SSD.
-1X 1TB 7200 spinny drive.

15 Replies Related Threads

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/03 22:00:28 (permalink)
    My immediate guess would be that something got into the PCIe slot itself and is fouling some pins. Ya should snag a flashlight and have a very close look inside the slot itself for either stray TIM, fibers, dust, or anything really. The card itself doesn't show up or work at all period, no BIOS and no picture in the main slot?

If you absolutely can't find anything you might try cleaning the pins. Compressed air first, then if that doesn't work then MAYBE a strip of cardboard with a paper towel wrapped around it? Clean pencil erasures are recommended for the PCIe connectors on the cards themselves, but I'm not sure what the best material is for cleaning inside the slots. You need to be careful not to cause a static discharge obviously, while still rubbing any possible oxidation off the pins.

Have water, will cool. 
    Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/03 23:16:36 (permalink)
    kougar
    My immediate guess would be that something got into the PCIe slot itself and is fouling some pins. Ya should snag a flashlight and have a very close look inside the slot itself for either stray TIM, fibers, dust, or anything really. The card itself doesn't show up or work at all period, no BIOS and no picture in the main slot?

If you absolutely can't find anything you might try cleaning the pins. Compressed air first, then if that doesn't work then MAYBE a strip of cardboard with a paper towel wrapped around it? Clean pencil erasures are recommended for the PCIe connectors on the cards themselves, but I'm not sure what the best material is for cleaning inside the slots. You need to be careful not to cause a static discharge obviously, while still rubbing any possible oxidation off the pins.

Nothing, if I boot with the card in the main slot, I just get a black screen and my monitor says "no signal" however, with a card in the main slot, if I boot with the DVI cable plugged into my mobo it boots just fine, just it doesn't detect the GPU. I didn't take out the gpu when I de-lided though, all I did was unscrew my H80, pull out the CPU, de-lid it, and reassemble, I didn't even touch my 470 now that I think of it.

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.

Blizzie
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3883
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/03 23:28:40 (permalink)
    Do you have another video card or any PCI-E card to test if the first slot is busted somehow? Put your video card in the second slot and a different card on the first. See if that PCI-E card can be detected in Windows.

Did you gently blow some air into the first slot to clean off any dust particles? Also, clean the gold fingers on your video card with isopropyl alcohol.

Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/03 23:37:45 (permalink)
    Blizzie
    Do you have another video card or any PCI-E card to test if the first slot is busted somehow? Put your video card in the second slot and a different card on the first. See if that PCI-E card can be detected in Windows.

Did you gently blow some air into the first slot to clean off any dust particles? Also, clean the gold fingers on your video card with isopropyl alcohol.

Oh I forgot to put that in the OP, I pulled my 8800GTX that I have and put it in the same slot, same result. Let me blow the PCI-E slot out and see if it works. I also tried disabling the IGPU all together but then again, it even says in the BIOS when I have a card in it "No GPU detected".

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.

Blizzie
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3883
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/03 23:49:04 (permalink)
    Sounds like the slot is busted somehow.
    Give the compress air a shot, clean the gold contacts, and see if it works.

If not, you might want to consider getting the board RMAed.

Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/03 23:55:03 (permalink)
    Yep, cleaned the contacts, blew the slot out with air, nothing. Looks like it is busted. I honestly don't understand how, but at least it gives me an excuse to get a new board. Not sure if Biostar will let me RMA as I'm not the original owner of the board and don't have a receipt, but I will try.

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.

HotRodPolk
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2518
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/04 03:21:27 (permalink)
    Some mobo's have an option to turn off Pci-e slots for power saving...Check your bios and see if that's the case with yours. Windows 8 does this too, turns off various components to save power...Another thing to try is clear cmos...Good luck on that RMA-You need the receipt to register it to you...If you didn't do that, they won't cover it....
    post edited by HotRodPolk - 2014/03/04 03:24:30

Gigabyte Z590 Vision G Mobo, intel i3 10105 CPU, 32GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR4 3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 750ti FTW Video Card, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 power supply, Fractal Design Focus G (White) case, Cooler Master Hyper212 RGB Black CPU cooler. 2 Dell LED Monitors (20" & 24"), SK Hynix Gold 1TB SATA SSD (OS Drive), 6 WD HDDs 13TB total (Storage).
    Rig is a partial update on the old Gigabyte P43/Q6600 OC rig... The WD HDD's, (13TB, total), Blu-ray & DVD burners,  GTX750ti FTW & Supernova 850 G2 psu, migrated from old setup... Will get an 11700K, and an RTX 3060 12GB Black card, when I'm ready to OC... Windows 11 Pro set for performance, and it runs at 4.2Ghz...  
    Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience Wheel/Pedals, 
    Built for Gaming, Video Production, and Cakewalk, Cubase DAWs...
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4688
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/04 08:26:09 (permalink)
    You may want to test that cpu in another mobo first before you rma the board. Your delidding job may have damaged something with the cpu, since the NB is on the cpu now and controls those pci-e lanes. Just a thought before you waste any money or time.  :)

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/04 10:16:49 (permalink)
    wmmills
    You may want to test that cpu in another mobo first before you rma the board. Your delidding job may have damaged something with the cpu, since the NB is on the cpu now and controls those pci-e lanes. Just a thought before you waste any money or time.  :)

I never thought of that... However I don't have another board to test it on.

[Edit]: I just learned they approved my RMA, however I have to pay for shipping. I'll inspect the CPU for damage when I take it out. 
    post edited by Baltothewolf - 2014/03/04 10:22:27

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.

KenMcC
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3329
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/04 11:01:56 (permalink)
    The damage to the CPU may be internal, thus sooooo small you will not be able to see any issue / broken leads.  

KenMcC
    Z170 Classy K; i7-6700 CPU,
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14
    Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W;
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256 GB 
    Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SATA
    Samsung 850 Evo 256 GB SATA
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 250 GB SATA

Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
    Windows 10 x64 Prof.  
    Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/04 11:35:10 (permalink)
    KenMcC
    The damage to the CPU may be internal, thus sooooo small you will not be able to see any issue / broken leads.  

Yea I'm thinking I may have done damage. What I don't understand is, wouldn't I be seeing other problems? Doesn't the northbridge control other things as well?

Also, I did scratch the PCB twice, here is a pic, sorry it's blurry but I couldn't get my camera to focus.

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4688
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/04 13:23:09 (permalink)
    Baltothewolf
    KenMcC

Yea I'm thinking I may have done damage. What I don't understand is, wouldn't I be seeing other problems? Doesn't the northbridge control other things as well?

Also, I did scratch the PCB twice, here is a pic, sorry it's blurry but I couldn't get my camera to focus.

You may not see issues with other things because your dealing with internal damage on something that's so small internally that the right bump, in the right spot would only affect a partial section. Your cpu is split into many different quadrants in there with different sections controlling different things, but they all interact together as a whole unit. Even a small static charge that grounds out on the cpu can be enough to do some damage. That's why no matter what, even if you think its stupid or feel stupid etc..., whenever you open your case and go inside to work you should really have a wrist strap or be on a antistatic pad. Better to feel stupid then to fry or damage a part that costs hundreds of dollars and you may not get a rma on.  

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/04 21:41:39 (permalink)
    Modern systems have the ability to disable or ignore non-functioning parts... I mistakingly bent a socket pin on an X58 board, and the system simply disabled one of the three memory channels. The system could see the memory and it would show up under the OS, but it was marked "hardware reserved", in other words effectively disabled. The system ran error free because it self-corrected for the hardware damage. 

I didn't honestly think of it but I should have. Wmmills is probably spot on. The PCIe controllers are just another uncore I/O component and not critical to the function of the processor or system. It probably just disabled the affected controller to ensure it would operate error free.

Assuming for the moment it is a damaged chip, there's a bit of good news. In all honestly, even 4x at PCIe 3.0 speeds is the same as PCIe 1.0 at 16x. For a 470 model card you won't notice the loss of performance, except maybe in synthetic testing.

That said, if you absolutely want higher slot speeds regardless you may be in luck. That proc has the option for either 1 x16 or 2 x8 PCIe slot configurations, so with a 2 - x8 capable motherboard you might be able to run the CPU at PCIe 3.0 x8 on the secondary slot. The bad news is Biostar doesn't have any settings for this in its BIOS, you'd need a different motherboard. If you can get yours hands on another board you can test this fairly quickly.

Have water, will cool. 
    Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/05 00:29:14 (permalink)
    kougar
    Modern systems have the ability to disable or ignore non-functioning parts... I mistakingly bent a socket pin on an X58 board, and the system simply disabled one of the three memory channels. The system could see the memory and it would show up under the OS, but it was marked "hardware reserved", in other words effectively disabled. The system ran error free because it self-corrected for the hardware damage. 

I didn't honestly think of it but I should have. Wmmills is probably spot on. The PCIe controllers are just another uncore I/O component and not critical to the function of the processor or system. It probably just disabled the affected controller to ensure it would operate error free.

Assuming for the moment it is a damaged chip, there's a bit of good news. In all honestly, even 4x at PCIe 3.0 speeds is the same as PCIe 1.0 at 16x. For a 470 model card you won't notice the loss of performance, except maybe in synthetic testing.

That said, if you absolutely want higher slot speeds regardless you may be in luck. That proc has the option for either 1 x16 or 2 x8 PCIe slot configurations, so with a 2 - x8 capable motherboard you might be able to run the CPU at PCIe 3.0 x8 on the secondary slot. The bad news is Biostar doesn't have any settings for this in its BIOS, you'd need a different motherboard. If you can get yours hands on another board you can test this fairly quickly.

Thanks for all the help guys, and really about the performance drop? I could have sworn I lost 5-10fps in BF4 on ultra on that prison map... I dip into the 30's and I never remember dipping into the 30's before. Regardless, I'll probably sell this cpu here on the marketplace for someone who wants to deal with it for cheap and just buy a new cpu. Tbh it was my idiocy that tried using the razor to get the glue off, I should have used a credit card from the beginning. It is what it is and it's just my luck. I really don't have the money to replace it, but I gotta take the money I was going to buy a new GPU with and spend it getting a new processor. 

[Edit]: I'll know for sure this coming weekend if it's the processor, RushXTC is gonna let me use his 3570k when I see him to see if it works or not. I'm really hoping it doesn't tbh because then I'll just RMA this board (which Biostar already approved the RMA for) but knowing my luck, I doubt it.

[EditV2]: Oh I almost forgot to mention, when I boot the computer up with the card in the first slot (x16) then go to device manager, all it detects in the display adapters is "Standard VGA adapter".
    post edited by Baltothewolf - 2014/03/05 00:42:57

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.

KenMcC
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3329
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: Mobo refusing to detect gpu in primary slot. 2014/03/05 11:13:22 (permalink)
    From the Device manger select update driver and see if you can run the update.  Just point the where you have the non-loaded driver (ie a folder or a CD).  I would find the current driver and Delete it so the install will work. 

KenMcC
    Z170 Classy K; i7-6700 CPU,
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14
    Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W;
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256 GB 
    Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SATA
    Samsung 850 Evo 256 GB SATA
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 250 GB SATA

Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
    Windows 10 x64 Prof.  
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile