EVGA

AnsweredIntroducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology!

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 59
Author
HawkOculus
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 456
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 08:32:29 (permalink)
YMaksymyuk
Evga already lost 3080 clock battle to Asus and even Msi. Now they are scrambling to clock 3090 higher to stay in the game.

Are you prepared to pay $1k more for less than 19% improvement over 3080?

Nvidia needs to be taught a lesson by Amd like they did to Intel. I will laugh hard when Amd releases a comparable card for 50% less money.

The clock battle, what a joke lol.

We are talking a difference of 50 or so MHz in a real world scenario, with expected variance due to ambient temperatures and case environment. That is utterly meaningless in a real world scenario. Like 1 or 2 frames on average, if that. You will literally never notice that unless you have OCD about the absolute best benchmark numbers. And even then, it’s probably within margin of error.

AMD tried to compete the last time and failed. I don’t expect it to be any different. And even if they do manage to launch a somewhat comparable product, it won’t matter because their software suite and drivers are utter trash. I fully expect their ray tracing solution to be rough around the edges at best. And something comparable to DLSS? Lmao at that, they can barely even get their drivers to be consistent with multi monitor setups in some cases, let alone something as complicated as DLSS.
F5alcon
  • Total Posts : 74
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 08:45:18 (permalink)
YMaksymyuk
Evga already lost 3080 clock battle to Asus and even Msi. Now they are scrambling to clock 3090 higher to stay in the game.

Nvidia needs to be taught a lesson by Amd like they did to Intel. I will laugh hard when Amd releases a comparable card for 50% less money.

AMD won't be 50% less, if they do win they will charge close to the same price, maybe $100 less, just like Ryzen, they aren't half the price of Intel. 
Flonkam
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 265
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 10:00:06 (permalink)
HawkOculus
YMaksymyuk

I agree about clocks--if there's something called a "clock battle", I don't see how it could be relevant to more than a tiny percentage of people.

But he makes a legitimate point about the 3090. The problem is not just a 114%+ higher price for quite possibly a 15% avg. framerate increase, but:

1. This price/performance is particularly disgusting because it's not a TITAN card, despite Jen-Hsun referring to it as "TITAN-class". There is no 'TITAN' in the name. It's an 'RTX 3090'.

Pretending that it's a TITAN doesn't make it so. Beside the ridiculousness of releasing a non-TITAN card and passing it off as a TITAN because of the price, why is this important?

2. ...because the TITAN cards were always ignored by anyone with an actual budget who was only interested in gaming and not "bragging rights". But now, the absurd 10GB of the 3080 makes the 3090 the only viable option for those who play at 4K+, at high settings, and use actual MSAA/SSAA**.

And that's now, with current-console-gen games. The XB1 has 5.5GB total between CPU & GPU. It can easily devote 3GB to the GPU, and yet PC ports utilize (not allocate) 5, 6, 8...even as much as 10GB at 4K. So even assuming only 6GB PC utilization, that's 100% higher than the console, due mainly to a lack of PC-specific coding & optimization, but sometimes better assets.

What do you think is going to happen when consoles jump from 5.5GB to 13GB? The Series X will easily devote a bare minimum of 6GB to the GPU. No, compression doesn't help:  For one, it doesn't increase RAM, it increases the amount of info that can be stored in RAM--RAM usage stays the same. And two, compression applies equally to console and PC. In fact, if PC compression isn't as good, it will need even more VRAM.

The 3080 makes no sense for anyone who plans on using it 2 or 3 years from now for high-res/high settings, and even now is a poor choice, meaning as of now, the $1500+ 3090 is the only viable option for 4K+ gaming going forward. Nice.

** I'm asking nicely, lol: Please no one post any misinformed info about AA being unnecessary at 4K+. Whether or not AA is required is not determined by resolution, it's determined by angular resolution: the apparent size of pixels.

E.g. the pixels of a 55" 4K display are exactly the same size as those of a 27" 1080p display. That means that at the same view distance, the angular resolution is the same. The pixels are exactly the same size.

People become mistaken about this because they go to 4K without increasing their screen size much (e.g. 27"), or they use a ~55" display but compensate by greatly increasing their view distance (If you want to maximize immersion, you maximize actual/display FOV. You increase your screen size, but keep the same view distance.)
post edited by Flonkam - 2020/09/20 10:02:37
irakandjii
  • Total Posts : 65
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 10:46:56 (permalink)
Flonkam
HawkOculus
YMaksymyuk

I agree about clocks--if there's something called a "clock battle", I don't see how it could be relevant to more than a tiny percentage of people.

But he makes a legitimate point about the 3090. The problem is not just a 114%+ higher price for quite possibly a 15% avg. framerate increase, but:

1. This price/performance is particularly disgusting because it's not a TITAN card, despite Jen-Hsun referring to it as "TITAN-class". There is no 'TITAN' in the name. It's an 'RTX 3090'.

Pretending that it's a TITAN doesn't make it so. Beside the ridiculousness of releasing a non-TITAN card and passing it off as a TITAN because of the price, why is this important?

2. ...because the TITAN cards were always ignored by anyone with an actual budget who was only interested in gaming and not "bragging rights". But now, the absurd 10GB of the 3080 makes the 3090 the only viable option for those who play at 4K+, at high settings, and use actual MSAA/SSAA**.

And that's now, with current-console-gen games. The XB1 has 5.5GB total between CPU & GPU. It can easily devote 3GB to the GPU, and yet PC ports utilize (not allocate) 5, 6, 8...even as much as 10GB at 4K. So even assuming only 6GB PC utilization, that's 100% higher than the console, due mainly to a lack of PC-specific coding & optimization, but sometimes better assets.

What do you think is going to happen when consoles jump from 5.5GB to 13GB? The Series X will easily devote a bare minimum of 6GB to the GPU. No, compression doesn't help:  For one, it doesn't increase RAM, it increases the amount of info that can be stored in RAM--RAM usage stays the same. And two, compression applies equally to console and PC. In fact, if PC compression isn't as good, it will need even more VRAM.

The 3080 makes no sense for anyone who plans on using it 2 or 3 years from now for high-res/high settings, and even now is a poor choice, meaning as of now, the $1500+ 3090 is the only viable option for 4K+ gaming going forward. Nice.

Interesting, I tend to agree with this view.  

I worry that the longevity of the 3080's is not there and the removal of SLI capability further reduces my flexibility in the 12-18 month timeframe.

It would appear that the "expected" market value of "ti" performance levels is now $1500 US.  Folks paid almost that price for the highest performance tier in the RTX 20 series.  This suggests the current 3080 series is a loss leader intended to blunt the impact of AMD's RDNA2.  The strategy provides a lot of options for  nVidia in the short term <12 months.

For example:
  • They can introduce 3080 ti's in the $1,200 range,
  • They can introduce 3090 ti's to compete at the pinnacle if AMD somehow pulls off a technical marvel,
  • They can still introduce a new titian.
  • And all the while prevent canalization on the true "profitability" market driven by the RTX 3070 and RTX 3060.
  • In the mean time, 4K monitors and TV's will get better and cheaper.  Driving demand for 3080 performance as the new minimum.
Brilliant really!!!

So do I go with:
  1. 3080 at a bargain price knowing that it is likely to need an upgrade in 12-24 months with some speculated potential "gottchas" in the short term. (memory bottlenecks).
  2. Or do I buy in at the high tier market price of $1500 and likely avoid the "gottchas", whilst paying double the entry fee?

Like I said, brilliant marketing strategy nVidia..  damn!
Wartymender
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 13:35:01 (permalink)
Speaking of the 3090, any guesses as to what the launch price for the Kingpin and FTW3 hydro copper cards will cost?
Jalthir
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 14:27:59 (permalink)
Anyone know what timezone the realse of 3090 is? Not the date, but timezone, so i dont wake up at midnight to order something that technically launched 3 hours ago or in the morning
YMaksymyuk
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 14:32:29 (permalink)
HawkOculus
YMaksymyuk

We are talking a difference of 50 or so MHz in a real world scenario, with expected variance due to ambient temperatures and case environment. That is utterly meaningless in a real world scenario. Like 1 or 2 frames on average, if that. You will literally never notice that unless you have OCD about the absolute best benchmark numbers. And even then, it’s probably within margin of error.

AMD tried to compete the last time and failed. I don’t expect it to be any different. And even if they do manage to launch a somewhat comparable product, it won’t matter because their software suite and drivers are utter trash. I fully expect their ray tracing solution to be rough around the edges at best. And something comparable to DLSS? Lmao at that, they can barely even get their drivers to be consistent with multi monitor setups in some cases, let alone something as complicated as DLSS.

You are clearly clueless on how marketing and advertising affects sales.

1-2 frames? Sure pal. 1935 boost clock of Strix OC vs 1800 of ftw3 ultra and 19.5 vs 19 Gbps mem clock. My money is on Asus for the same price.
blackhawkric
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 15:19:31 (permalink)
YMaksymyuk
HawkOculus
YMaksymyuk

1-2 frames? Sure pal. 1935 boost clock of Strix OC vs 1800 of ftw3 ultra and 19.5 vs 19 Gbps mem clock. My money is on Asus for the same price.

Yeah for sure when you have the money to throw at something that doesn't even make sense to you or even understand what clock speeds translate to real world performance.
Not long ago there was an era where people when asked what GPU they own used to reply "I have a 8GB graphics card" :P
Omoeba
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 15:42:28 (permalink)
The FTW3 Ultra's boost clock is now TBD instead of 1800. It is likely that it will be adjusted to something higher.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 2x16GB
Inland Performance 2TB SSD
EVGA Supernova 850 G+ PSU
Fractal Meshify C Case

kindji3
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 17:24:23 (permalink)
blackhawkric
YMaksymyuk
HawkOculus
YMaksymyuk

Yeah for sure when you have the money to throw at something that doesn't even make sense to you or even understand what clock speeds translate to real world performance.
Not long ago there was an era where people when asked what GPU they own used to reply "I have a 8GB graphics card" :P

Who cares what the number on the box is when all the cards tested so far boost well above that stock, and you can overclock by moving a slider..? The real limit is power target (edit: and silicon lottery) or the availability of a VBIOS that opens it up. And even this only matter to people who compete on clock speed.
HawkOculus
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 456
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 17:28:25 (permalink)
^ Exactly my point.

The numbers on the box mean next to nothing when GPU Boost functions the same way on all cards. Only things that really matter are cooling and power limit.
YMaksymyuk
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 17:39:59 (permalink)
HawkOculus
^ Exactly my point.

The numbers on the box mean next to nothing when GPU Boost functions the same way on all cards. Only things that really matter are cooling and power limit.

Believe me, those numbers mean a lot to the Co (Evga) to keep their top selling card’s crown. At the moment they are not. Watch Evga pushing “box” clocks higher to try to beat the competition. Happens every year. Thus a delay and TBD clocks on the site.
DeadPoOL_jlp
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/20 22:35:45 (permalink)
My current GPU is the 2070super fe. It was my first gaming PC build back in September of last year. Out of all the GPU's this go around for some reason the 3080 FTW3 really calls out to me (even though the red on the side is a bit unappealing).

Is the official site here the best place to try and secure one? I know they mentioned this upcoming week they will have more stock but with how quickly they sell it out with no timeframes given it seems it'll be nearly impossible to randomly check in one day and be able to purchase one.
exilelrrp
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 411
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 03:16:57 (permalink)
vulcan1978
q5sys
EVGATech_LeeM
  • I'm not sure why people assume bots are buying cards over regular people.  It was a popular reason for why 20-Series cards were always out of stock, which completely ignored literal supply and demand issues (lots of people wanted them, but there weren't many initially).  Yes, there are per person quantity caps for each card.  Yes, we require captcha to login, which is also required to create a profile.  This should help to comfort some of you.

Now that Nvidia and Media outlets have confirmed that this happened... do you believe us now?  Some of us are aware of how these things worked and warned you.  You could have listened... but you thought you knew better... and now you've got tons of unhappy people.  

Perhaps you guys should take a few moments and have a post-mortem on just how wrong you were, and maybe don't disregard people who work in the IT industry and are keenly aware of how these things work. 

I'm not trying to kick you while you're down... I'm trying to encourage you to actually do better.

Alternative hypothesis: 

The actors running the bots are EVGA and Nvidia themselves who are both reaping windfall profit and simultaneously stoking demand. 

Think about it. 

Whenever someone claims incompetence always consider the possibility that it's not incompetence but foul play / inside job. 

Fuel to the fire: 

I've yet to read a single post here or at r/nvidia or overclock.net of anyone successfully buying a single 3080. 

Who bought them? 

How is it that not a single member of this forum bought a single unit from EVGA today? 

Not a single EVGA Member got the chance to buy GPU here?... Smoke screen, hyping the customers, like morons we're waiting for the notification email or watching the date and time just to click on "site crashed" or "out of stock"... Here we are today 9/21/2020 and yet again we see nothing, not even a 360 image of the Kingpin or the 3090 Hybrid GPU??? - 

You know I never had the chance to purchase a 2080Ti when I wanted to get it at the time, the miners ruined that for most of us and then the cards became ridiculous expensive after.
post edited by rjohnson11 - 2020/09/21 03:29:37

*Lian Li PC-011D Mini (Black) *i9-10900K *ROG Strix Z490-G *Nzxt Kraken Z73/Lian Li UNI SL120 Series *Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 *Corsair HX1200i *EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ultra FTW3 *Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB *Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB *Samsung 840 Evo Series 1TB SSD *Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ *Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB *Corsair Dark Core *Corsair Gaming MM800 *Corsair ST100 *Razer Nari Ultimate.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102393
  • Ribbons : 85
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 03:31:52 (permalink)
As far as I know almost no one anywhere was able to buy an RTX 3080 except for the bots. Keep in mind that right now there are no RTX 3080 video cards from any manufacturer available from legit sources. Hopefully in the weeks to come more cards will be available. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Jalthir
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 04:48:01 (permalink)
I think one or two people managed to get a 3080, Ive heard stories of using not posted links to get around the endless notify me buttion, but i have yet to verify
GuitarGuy93
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 04:55:44 (permalink)
Has there been any updates on ftw3 hybrid card dates provided just yet? We talking october time or?

Gear: Phone: iPhone Xs Max 256gb Space Grey Tablet: iPad Air 3rd Gen 64GB Space Grey. PC: i7 8700k, 32gb Corsair Vengence RGB Pro DDR4, GTX 770, Phanteks P600S, 1TB Corsair Force MP600 NVME, 1TB Samsung 860QVO SATA - Headphones: Senheiser PC360 - Speakers: Logitech Z5500 - Wheel: Fanatech GT3RS V2 with Clubsport Pedals
d.burnette
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5496
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 05:14:38 (permalink)
rjohnson11
As far as I know almost no one anywhere was able to buy an RTX 3080 except for the bots. Keep in mind that right now there are no RTX 3080 video cards from any manufacturer available from legit sources. Hopefully in the weeks to come more cards will be available. 

Probably safe to assume then the same thing will happen with the 3090's later this week.
Sure would like to known when an FTW3 Ultra might become available in the 3090 card.

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

Jalthir
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 05:52:31 (permalink)
I thought its been said on the evga twitter that its october 6th for hybrids already @GuitarGuy93
GuitarGuy93
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 05:56:11 (permalink)
Jalthir
I thought its been said on the evga twitter that its october 6th for hybrids already @GuitarGuy93

Ahh! Amazing, didnt see that specific date :) thank you!

Gear: Phone: iPhone Xs Max 256gb Space Grey Tablet: iPad Air 3rd Gen 64GB Space Grey. PC: i7 8700k, 32gb Corsair Vengence RGB Pro DDR4, GTX 770, Phanteks P600S, 1TB Corsair Force MP600 NVME, 1TB Samsung 860QVO SATA - Headphones: Senheiser PC360 - Speakers: Logitech Z5500 - Wheel: Fanatech GT3RS V2 with Clubsport Pedals
Desaccorde
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 06:06:17 (permalink)
No, Jacob said late October for Hybrids on twitter.
KickAssCop
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 220
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 07:58:13 (permalink)
Is any etailer getting stock today?

PC: Ryzen 5900X | X570 Tomahawk | 3090 FTW3 Ultra | CX 55, G7 32 | 660P 1 TB, P1 1 TB, EVO 850 1 TB, EVO 840 500 GB, 830 256 GB, MX500 1 TB | TridentZ NEO RGB 32 GB 3733 C16 | Supernova 1300W G2 | P500A | H150i PRO | K70 | G502Consoles: PS5, XSX, PS4, Switch X 2
ehabash1
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 08:50:52 (permalink)
hybrids and hydrocopper being released together?
I'm willing to wait if they're coming in October

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102393
  • Ribbons : 85
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 09:43:26 (permalink)
KickAssCop

In Europe I haven't seen any new stock arrive from ANY manufacturer

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

gravedigger78
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 964
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 10:32:50 (permalink)
I wish they would have spent a month or 2 building inventory before launching the card. It seems like it is harder to snag one by trickling the inventory instead of just releasing giant batches.
kindji3
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 10:46:08 (permalink)
gravedigger78
I wish they would have spent a month or 2 building inventory before launching the card. It seems like it is harder to snag one by trickling the inventory instead of just releasing giant batches.

There’s nothing stopping you from waiting two months until stock has built up. 🙂
gravedigger78
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 964
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 10:48:15 (permalink)
kindji3
gravedigger78

There’s nothing stopping you from waiting two months until stock has built up. 🙂

I can wait, I am just sick of all the complaining lol! Also it looks like they added the other FTW3 NON-Ultra to the store just now
ReaverSaber
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 10:52:57 (permalink)
rjohnson11
KickAssCop

In Europe I haven't seen any new stock arrive from ANY manufacturer

Very small amounts of MSI and Pallit cards shipped out today at some etailers in the UK
vulcan1978
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 12:13:02 (permalink)
irakandjii
Flonkam
HawkOculus
YMaksymyuk

Interesting, I tend to agree with this view.  

I worry that the longevity of the 3080's is not there and the removal of SLI capability further reduces my flexibility in the 12-18 month timeframe.

It would appear that the "expected" market value of "ti" performance levels is now $1500 US.  Folks paid almost that price for the highest performance tier in the RTX 20 series.  This suggests the current 3080 series is a loss leader intended to blunt the impact of AMD's RDNA2.  The strategy provides a lot of options for  nVidia in the short term <12 months.

For example:
  • They can introduce 3080 ti's in the $1,200 range,
  • They can introduce 3090 ti's to compete at the pinnacle if AMD somehow pulls off a technical marvel,
  • They can still introduce a new titian.
  • And all the while prevent canalization on the true "profitability" market driven by the RTX 3070 and RTX 3060.
  • In the mean time, 4K monitors and TV's will get better and cheaper.  Driving demand for 3080 performance as the new minimum.
Brilliant really!!!

So do I go with:
  1. 3080 at a bargain price knowing that it is likely to need an upgrade in 12-24 months with some speculated potential "gottchas" in the short term. (memory bottlenecks).
  2. Or do I buy in at the high tier market price of $1500 and likely avoid the "gottchas", whilst paying double the entry fee?

Like I said, brilliant marketing strategy nVidia..  damn!

Exactly how I feel coming from 2080 Ti. 

8700k @ 5.1 GHz - 0 AVX @ 1.386v Dynamic Offset w/ EK Monoblock + Delid | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | EVGA 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra @ 2130 Mhz core, 7950 MHz memory @ 1.063v w/ 375W FTW3 vbios + Phanteks Glacier Block  | EK CE 420 + EK XE 360 | 2x16GB G-Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz 17-20-20-38 | 2 TB Sabrent Rocket | Corsair RM1000x | Thermaltake View 71 | Alienware AW3418DW + Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (for 3D Vision) on Amazon Basics Arms | Win10 Pro 1809

philosophersbunker.blogspot.com
Flonkam
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 265
Re: Introducing the EVGA GeForce RTX 30 Series with iCX3 Technology! 2020/09/21 12:22:09 (permalink)
irakandjii
They can introduce 3080 ti's in the $1,200 range,

I'd like to know what you think, but the issue that I put forth last week is that there simply isn't any room for a 3080 Ti.

At first I was interested in a "leak" about a 3080 Ti, until I learned more about the performance of the 3090. The performance gap between 3080 and 3090 is so small, a 3080 Ti would be a joke. Measuring from the 3080, you'd get a non-Ti-level performance increase (bad) and presumably significantly more RAM (good), for what...$1000?

I think that, because of the lack of any significant performance increase from the 3080, it would effectively be a lower-priced 3090 with a RAM amount more applicable to a gaming card. Arguably a better card than the 3090 for many people, but still a pretty cruddy 3080 Ti for price/performance, imo.

irakandjii
They can introduce 3090 ti's to compete at the pinnacle if AMD somehow pulls off a technical marvel,
They can still introduce a new titian.

I admit, the art world would be abuzz if they could produce a previously-unknown Titian.

But yeah, I can't imagine where a 3090 Ti would be priced, to say nothing of a TITAN (or where its power would come from--wouldn't the 3090 Ti presumably use an entire 3090 die? I have to look that up...)

irakandjii
So do I go with:

I was really hoping for a serious showing from NVIDIA post-20 Series, as having moved to 4K, my GPU requirements still aren't close to being satisfied. There are many games from 2014 - Present that do not maintain a VSync-locked 60 fps at 4K, and that's not even necessarily maxed out settings. Needless to say, that's a far cry from the framerates necessary to apply supersampling.

When--just for example--you play 18" from a 55" OLED in order to get a 110° actual/display FOV and maximize immersion, pixels are not exactly tiny. Games with a lot of geometry/foliage look like garbage without true AA. The VR situation is similar for the same basic reason--a resolution is spread over a much higher FOV.

So anyway, I don't know what I'm going to do, either. I was planning on building a new Win 10 (uggh) system, which would replace a 7-yr-old system if I build in February. But the 3080 won't work for me, and the 3090 just doesn't make sense as a replacement for a 2080 Ti--I'd be paying for VRAM I don't need, and performance I'm not getting.
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 44 of 59
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile