EVGA

Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Ruarc88
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/24 16:01:08 (permalink)
Sajin
Ruarc88
backdoc77
Black screen of death = defective card. RMA

This is the RMA card. Same problem.

Sajin
Ruarc88
Sajin
Ruarc88

Anything particularly special about this driver or is it just outside of the verified range?

It's a known stable driver. Might want to give it a try.

Confirmed that it still happens with this driver, with ONLY driver installed. Happened in Riders of Icarus after ~4 hours of gameplay and ~7 hours of system uptime. This is also after I swapped the card to a different PCIe slot.

Install the latest driver and try running your card in debug mode.

So far, 7 hours + 4 hours + 2 hours in Riders and it hasn't happened in debug mode. Will be trying Borderlands later to see how it goes there.

Sounds like the card doesn't have a stable factory overclock.

Aaaand over a week later. Went a total of over 100 hours in-game for Riders of Icarus including single sessions where the graphics settings were changed several times between low, medium, and high, all in debug mode and all without restarting the system for over a week with no problem. RMA number 2 arrived earlier today and I replicated the issue in less than an hour out of debug mode. Trying again in debug mode to see if it's stable. Once again, no events registered with Windows. I'm seriously thinking this is just a problem with the driver since it IS only certain games that are affected. Also, Nvidia drivers really aren't drivers and instead aim to reprogram the rendering engine for every single game in existence but that's beside the point.

Stable in debug mode on 372.54. Instantly replicated out of debug mode also on 372.54

Side note: since no events are registered with Windows, are there any other logs located elsewhere specific to Nvidia cards, driver, control panel, etc that could be helpful in talking to eVGA or Nvidia?
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/24 16:48:50 (permalink)
Ruarc88
are there any other logs located elsewhere specific to Nvidia cards, driver, control panel, etc that could be helpful in talking to eVGA or Nvidia?

Nope.

If the problem is only occurring in certain games then the games themselves may not like running anything over reference gtx 980 speeds. I usually play all my games at reference clocks for maximum stability.
post edited by Sajin - 2016/08/24 17:24:54
seadoge8
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 210
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/24 16:52:02 (permalink)
I had the same problem. I tried everything possible. Some times it would go a few days and the black screen of death wouldn't happen. Then it would start happening more often than before. I finally RMA'd the card about 6 weeks ago and it hasn't happened again. So I'm hoping it was a card issue.

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2  
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
16gb G Skills TridentZ neo DDR4 3600
EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hydro Copper   
EVGA Supernova 850 T2
1.5TB WD Black  
Inland Platinum 2TB M.2 SSD
Acer XB270HU 2560X1440 144Hz
CaseLabs Mercury S8 Case
Water Cooled Single loop
Ruarc88
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/24 17:49:11 (permalink)
Sajin
Ruarc88
are there any other logs located elsewhere specific to Nvidia cards, driver, control panel, etc that could be helpful in talking to eVGA or Nvidia?

Nope.

If the problem is only occurring in certain games then the games themselves may not like running anything over reference gtx 980 speeds. I usually play all my games at reference clocks for maximum stability.

Kinda eliminates the point of getting an SC model (though it is oddly the cheapest). Precision-X, Afterburner, etc are the only ways to force reference clock across restarts? And is the main clock the only value that needs to be changed?
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/24 20:27:30 (permalink)
Ruarc88
Sajin
Ruarc88

Nope.

Kinda eliminates the point of getting an SC model (though it is oddly the cheapest). Precision-X, Afterburner, etc are the only ways to force reference clock across restarts? And is the main clock the only value that needs to be changed?

Yes, afterburner, precision x, debug mode, etc would be the only ways to force reference clocks on boot. You can also flash your video card with a reference 980 vbios that way you won't have to use software based tools on each boot. Yes, core clock is the only one that needs to be changed.
post edited by Sajin - 2016/08/24 20:30:22
globalcomand
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/27 16:02:30 (permalink)
Gtx 980 ti classified 
3 monitor surround dispay port cable
Disconnecting the 4th aux monitor seems to fix the problem as it HDMI
The problem flares up when I overclock

Ruarc88
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/29 15:03:43 (permalink)
Sajin
Yes, afterburner, precision x, debug mode, etc would be the only ways to force reference clocks on boot. You can also flash your video card with a reference 980 vbios that way you won't have to use software based tools on each boot. Yes, core clock is the only one that needs to be changed.

Currently running 50 MHz below reference (just in case). Only 50 million operations a second slower :P I'll see how that goes for a few days.

After testing my memory and then trying the card in my old system for a few hours, I had a thought. Is there any reason to believe that my system running DDR4 memory is causing the issues? Didn't test for too long in my old system (needed some files) but the problem applications ran without issue. Only real difference is DDR3 vs DDR4. I can't see why or how this would be an issue myself but you never know.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/29 15:05:57 (permalink)
Ruarc88
Sajin

Currently running 50 MHz below reference (just in case). Only 50 million operations a second slower :P I'll see how that goes for a few days.

After testing my memory and then trying the card in my old system for a few hours, I had a thought. Is there any reason to believe that my system running DDR4 memory is causing the issues? Didn't test for too long in my old system (needed some files) but the problem applications ran without issue. Only real difference is DDR3 vs DDR4. I can't see why or how this would be an issue myself but you never know.

DDR3 vs DDR4 shouldn't be an issue at all.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/29 15:28:16 (permalink)
Sajin
Ruarc88
Sajin
Ruarc88

Nope.

Sajin, You need a new sticky

But would the new forum members even know to look for it and then read it

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ddcarver
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/31 10:40:21 (permalink)
Any other info from others that are having or fixed this issue?

Having same issue with original poster -  screens going black, PC still working (can hear sound, can access network shares).  This is a RMA card too, new card did the same thing out of the box!  I tried putting the clocks WAAAYY down, and still happens... happens sitting at the desktop sometimes.  I tried older 368.81 driver, same.

Running Windows 10 Anniversary OS, Skylake, 750 PSU, 970 SSC GPU.  2 month old system, was great until a couple weeks ago.

I'll try 344 and 372.54 drivers, if my machine can stay up that long.  Seems to be stable when not using the display drivers (disabled driver, need to test this longer), although that's like saying my car rolls down a hill just fine.

murph34
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/31 21:38:31 (permalink)
I have been having this problem for months now, since buying a EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+. I am also running windows 10. It happens with HDMI, DVI-D, DVI... It only happens in games, I have never had it happen in anything else - only in some specific games; it only seems to occur when certain actions happen, like I run through certain triggers, like I attract a certain mob, etc... I can walk around sometimes, and it will be fine until I walk to that same point. But sometimes it just goes out, and it is hard to determine (really depends on the game). It doesn't matter if it is a graphics intensive game or not. I have run stress tests, and recorded my sensor info over durations to see if there is anything that could signify what is causing it; these all turn out pretty good, and don't signal that anything is wrong. In my situation, I am pretty much at a complete loss on what it can be. My monitor just gives a zap like it is shutting off with some artifacts, sits black for a second, and stays black until no signal shows up - need to hard reset. Tried different drivers, power options, disabling the integrated graphics card, optimize games when they are on the list (those games tend to have no problems at all, but only make up maybe a 1/3 of my games). I hope someone figures out a fix for this. If I can think of anything else I will post it.
murph34
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/31 21:47:37 (permalink)
I forgot that if I set the graphics low, it can help me get through the areas that are triggering it - if I set them back up afterwards the game is fine. Sometimes happens even when the graphics are low, in the current game I was trying to troubleshoot, and just goes black right when the game starts (but this is a little rare). Also, if it goes out - I just hooked up a dual monitor, the other monitor goes out as well as the main monitor (was curious, as to why I set it up - main is dvi-d, and the extended monitor is hdmi).
post edited by murph34 - 2016/08/31 23:22:22
ddcarver
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/09/01 07:43:01 (permalink)
Update, my issue is happening sitting at the desktop, I tried all the troubleshooting, time to RMA.  The last thing I tried was booting to safe mode, running the NVidia uninstaller (DDU), disabling all non-ms services, and all startup apps.  Booted to Normal mode with Windows running the 'Microsoft basic display driver' and after 4 min POP... both monitors go black.  My issues is not with the drivers, or during 3D games (it doesn't roll down hill well :)).  Good luck guys, thanks for the info in the threads.
Telemachos
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/09/03 11:40:37 (permalink)
Oddly enough, I have the same (or similar) issue myself, but for me it always seems that it happens with Facebook especially when scrolling down. I will get the black screen and if I wait it out, windows 10 will soft-crash and bring back the login screen. It has happened once with Battlefield 1 but that is a beta, but I have played hours with other games with no issues.
Telemachos
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/09/03 22:50:18 (permalink)
I don't know if anyone has tried running from the admin command prompt, sfc /scannow . I read this tonight about other things similar but it seems as if it can take up to 3 times before Windows finds any faults. My first run did find some faults and testing now to see if get any black screens.
ddcarver
Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/09/10 08:19:03 (permalink)
UPDATE:   Turned out to be my 1 month old Power Supply. 

if you look at my history I was getting black screens when starting 3d Games, and a couple times sitting at the desktop.  Using an older PSU my system has been 100% stable for the last 24 hours playing games.  I had even tried a GPU that does not require external power.  Hopefully my issue is resolved and good luck to those that are still having problems.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile