Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Ruarc88
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/08/08 12:48:14 (permalink)
I've got myself a GTX 980 SC ACX (currently on an RMA model) and I've been having issues where regardless of what I'm doing, without warning, 1 (can be either my main or second screen) or both screens will just go black. All applications are still running when this happens as there's audio going through and the system still receives input no problem. Only way I've found to fix this is to power-cycle the machine either with a shutdown (when possible) or a hard reset.

I've seen this in Borderlands, Overwatch, Riders of Icarus, and even with just Chrome playing a Youtube video. While gaming, it's happened with and without OBS open or recording/streaming.
It can happen at any time either shortly after turning the system on or several hours to several days after turning the system on.
Applications are only ever in windowed or borderless windowed mode.

The original card was also having artifacting issues along with this issue and so far, only the artifacting has been resolved with an RMA model.

I did a complete system reset a few days before I put the RMA card in, Precision-X has never been installed either.
I've replaced the power supply (Corsair RM850) with the unit from my old machine (Corsair AX750).
Temperature from MSI Afterburner has never been above 65C when this happens (45C for CPU).
12V line in BIOS is consistent (last measured at 12.096V) on both PSUs
All display cables have been replaced 

System specs:
Mobo: ASUS X99-PRO (non 3.1 model)
CPU: Intel i7 5930k
SSD (system): Crucial mx100
HDDs: 2TB, 3TB, and 4TB WD black drives
Driver version: 368.69 (only graphics driver and PhysX software installed)(Seen this since major version 353)
Monitors: 2x LG 23EA73

When the screen(s) do go black, I've tried unplugging the display cables and different ports (while they're still black) with no change.
When I'm able to fumble my way into the screen settings, the system still sees both screens without issue.
So far, no events have been registered with Windows when the screen(s) go black.

Anyone else seen this or know of a possible solution?
Thanks

45 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/08 13:23:12 (permalink)
    DP cables used?

If so, does your monitor accept different cable inputs, such as HDMI or DVI that you can test?

Have you tested one monitor at a time to see if the problem is with one of the monitors and not both?
    Ruarc88
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/08 13:48:50 (permalink)
    arestavo
    DP cables used?

If so, does your monitor accept different cable inputs, such as HDMI or DVI that you can test?

Have you tested one monitor at a time to see if the problem is with one of the monitors and not both?

Using DP to HDMI cables. Originally used 1 HDMI cable and a DP to DVI cable going through a DVI to HDMI adapter. Monitors only accept HDMI (2 inputs) and I've tried both.

When only 1 monitor goes black, it can be either 1. Neither seems to be preferred. Haven't tested with only 1 monitor connected yet.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 07:03:06 (permalink)
    Have had this issue since I bought my GTX 9 series GPU. It's not a display cord/display issue either. It only occurs to me when I'm playing certain games, in other games it never happens. I don't know the cause is, but it causes the computer to believe their is no display device. Only a hard reboot will cause the system to recognize there is a working display device again. Been trying to find a solution for this and nothing. It's a very common problem too that is also appearing on GTX 10 series as well.
    post edited by fearpoint - 2016/08/13 07:05:40
    Ruarc88
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 08:53:45 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    Have had this issue since I bought my GTX 9 series GPU. It's not a display cord/display issue either. It only occurs to me when I'm playing certain games, in other games it never happens. I don't know the cause is, but it causes the computer to believe their is no display device. Only a hard reboot will cause the system to recognize there is a working display device again. Been trying to find a solution for this and nothing. It's a very common problem too that is also appearing on GTX 10 series as well.

Out of curiosity, what OS are you running and which specific card? SLI? I recently moved mine to the PCIe 3 slot but haven't run it enough to see if that helps at all. Also have an Avermedia capture card that has weird limitations in Win7 but not 8/10 and vice-versa just because of the driver. Curious if NVidia maybe did something similar.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 09:59:08 (permalink)
    Ruarc88
    fearpoint

Out of curiosity, what OS are you running and which specific card? SLI? I recently moved mine to the PCIe 3 slot but haven't run it enough to see if that helps at all. Also have an Avermedia capture card that has weird limitations in Win7 but not 8/10 and vice-versa just because of the driver. Curious if NVidia maybe did something similar.

Windows 10.

I got the same issue on a different PC using the same GPU though using Windows 7, a different display, and a different display connection. I'm currently trying to troubleshoot what software is causing this and so far it's not, Nvidia 3D driversor Nvidia Geforce Experience. Having uninstalled Nvidia HD Audio drivers though I haven't had the issue appear.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 10:24:27 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    Ruarc88
    fearpoint

Windows 10.

I got the same issue on a different PC using the same GPU though using Windows 7, a different display, and a different display connection. I'm currently trying to troubleshoot what software is causing this and so far it's not, Nvidia 3D driversor Nvidia Geforce Experience. Having uninstalled Nvidia HD Audio drivers though I haven't had the issue appear.

Oh yeah, I've that the Nvidia audio drivers can conflict with motherboard/discrete sound card drivers causing all sorts of weird issues. For myself, I only ever install the driver and PhysX.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 14:55:07 (permalink)
    arestavo
    fearpoint
    Ruarc88
    fearpoint

Windows 10.

Oh yeah, I've that the Nvidia audio drivers can conflict with motherboard/discrete sound card drivers causing all sorts of weird issues. For myself, I only ever install the driver and PhysX.

Well that didn't work. Now trying without physx driver. The last Nvidia driver I have installed other than the main graphic driver. This issue is so retarded. It literally only occurs in certain games while in others it never happens.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 15:03:06 (permalink)
    Ruarc88
    Driver version: 368.69 (only graphics driver and PhysX software installed)(Seen this since major version 353)

Driver 347.88 doesn't do it? If 347.88 doesn't do it you will need to report the bug to nvidia. You can file a report with nvidia here.
    Ruarc88
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 15:58:33 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    arestavo
    fearpoint
    Ruarc88
    fearpoint

Windows 10.

Well that didn't work. Now trying without physx driver. The last Nvidia driver I have installed other than the main graphic driver. This issue is so retarded. It literally only occurs in certain games while in others it never happens.

That was quick. Which games is it happening for you? And how reliably can you reproduce it? In Riders of Icarus I've gone 8 hours straight without closing the game with no incident and then the next time I open the game it happens within an hour. Then Overwatch I logged over 50 hours total before it happened the first time.

Sajin
    Ruarc88

Driver doesn't do it? If 347.88 doesn't do it you will need to report the bug to nvidia. You can file a report with nvidia .

Anything particularly special about this driver or is it just outside of the verified range?
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 16:39:31 (permalink)
    I have had same problem using driver 368.81 @ the moment. It was happening with drivers before this one. Playing MWF3 the screen just goes Black for about 3 seconds. Never know when or for how many times it will do it then it, just seems to quit as fast as it appeared. It never did this with the Old GTX 295 Plus. Same motherboard and cpu. X-58 sli , I7-920 only difference is when I went to the 900 series cards.
    Ruarc88
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 16:48:13 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U
    I have had same problem using driver 368.81 @ the moment. It was happening with drivers before this one. Playing MWF3 the screen just goes Black for about 3 seconds. Never know when or for how many times it will do it then it, just seems to quit as fast as it appeared. It never did this with the Old GTX 295 Plus. Same motherboard and cpu. X-58 sli , I7-920 only difference is when I went to the 900 series cards.

For me the screen goes black and NEVER comes back. One time I let it sit all day and over night and it was still black the following morning.
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 16:54:04 (permalink)
    Wow I would RMA that card or call EVGA tech line.
     I am using DVI-D cable.
    Ruarc88
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 16:58:09 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U
     I am using DVI-D cable.

Yeah. This IS the RMA replacement. Happened on the original as well. 
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 17:03:55 (permalink)
    Ruarc88
    DAVE2HOT4U
     I am using DVI-D cable.

Yeah. This IS the RMA replacement. Happened on the original as well. 

I noticed high temps on the 970 I bought and pixelation so I went with the Hybrid 980ti !
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/13 17:30:50 (permalink)
    Ruarc88

Anything particularly special about this driver or is it just outside of the verified range?

It's a known stable driver. Might want to give it a try.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/14 06:26:01 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Ruarc88

It's not a driver thing or if it is it's been constant in the drivers for years. Games in which it occurs for me is Witcher 3 and Mordheim. Games like Battlefield 4 it has, but it hasn't done it in a very long time. All other games it doesn't occur. It's not a overheating issue or a overclock. Can't be a power issue either considering it doesn't occur with most of the games I play. I can't explain it. If you google this problem it is a very common occurrence with no solution. Seems to happen with DirectX11 games more frequently than others. For example in Mordheim they recently switched to DirectX 11 and within minutes I have issues. When I force the older DirectX 9 though I rarely have issues. Played the other day though and it was constant no display device found issues even in DirectX 9 which usually is stable.

Do I have Stuxnet?
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/14 07:41:58 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    Sajin
    Ruarc88

It's not a driver thing or if it is it's been constant in the drivers for years. Games in which it occurs for me is Witcher 3 and Mordheim. Games like Battlefield 4 it has, but it hasn't done it in a very long time. All other games it doesn't occur. It's not a overheating issue or a overclock. Can't be a power issue either considering it doesn't occur with most of the games I play. I can't explain it. If you google this problem it is a very common occurrence with no solution. Seems to happen with DirectX11 games more frequently than others. For example in Mordheim they recently switched to DirectX 11 and within minutes I have issues. When I force the older DirectX 9 though I rarely have issues. Played the other day though and it was constant no display device found issues even in DirectX 9 which usually is stable.

Do I have Stuxnet?

Have you tried submitting a bug report so Nvidia can track it down to fix it?

https://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/app/utils/login_form/redirect/ask 
    Ruarc88
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/14 08:52:12 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    Sajin
    Ruarc88

Do I have Stuxnet?

This thread has ruled out pretty much everything else so far so it has to be a driver or software issue of some kind. Only other option would be a fault with a particular module on the GPU that's been overlooked for 2.5 generations OR issue with a certain brand. This is eVGA forums but has anyone verified this on another brand in the 900-1000 series? Or even just found reports of it happening on other brands?

Another thought I just had, anyone seen this specifically on a TI or Titan card?

I'm gonna try the 347 driver mentioned above later today and see how it goes over the next week.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/14 14:48:46 (permalink)
    Ruarc88
    Another thought I just had, anyone seen this specifically on a TI or Titan card?

Never seen the issue on my maxwell titan x's.
    Ruarc88
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/16 15:53:47 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Ruarc88

Confirmed that it still happens with this driver, with ONLY driver installed. Happened in Riders of Icarus after ~4 hours of gameplay and ~7 hours of system uptime. This is also after I swapped the card to a different PCIe slot.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/16 16:50:45 (permalink)
    Ruarc88
    Sajin
    Ruarc88

Confirmed that it still happens with this driver, with ONLY driver installed. Happened in Riders of Icarus after ~4 hours of gameplay and ~7 hours of system uptime. This is also after I swapped the card to a different PCIe slot.

Install the latest driver and try running your card in debug mode.

backdoc77
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/17 16:28:17 (permalink)
    Black screen of death = defective card. RMA

Asus Z170-AR
    Intel i7 6700K  
    Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200 mhz  (9 9 9 24)  

Asus GTX 1080
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 SSD            
    Corsair TX850 Power 
    LG Blu Ray 10x RW CH10
    Corsair 570x Crystal Case

Asus Rog Swift PG278Q Monitor
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Ruarc88
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/18 08:14:59 (permalink)
    backdoc77

This is the RMA card. Same problem.

Sajin
    Ruarc88
    Sajin
    Ruarc88

So far, 7 hours + 4 hours + 2 hours in Riders and it hasn't happened in debug mode. Will be trying Borderlands later to see how it goes there.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/18 09:39:27 (permalink)
    Ruarc88
    backdoc77

This is the RMA card. Same problem.

Sajin
    Ruarc88
    Sajin
    Ruarc88

So far, 7 hours + 4 hours + 2 hours in Riders and it hasn't happened in debug mode. Will be trying Borderlands later to see how it goes there.

Sounds like the card doesn't have a stable factory overclock.

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/18 11:26:03 (permalink)
    Since uninstalling the physx driver package I haven't had a black screen. Been playing a lot of Overwatch(DX11) too. I think I may have found the culprit.
    snuukums
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/22 19:04:01 (permalink)
    Uninstalling Physx worked....

DDU, Driver roll back, Reinstall Windows, Different PCI Slot, TDR, new PSU, Master/Slave VBios, EVGA Precision X OC, Max performance power.

Nothing.

Physx tho? 

Apparently it breaks things
    Dave3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 720
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/22 23:06:56 (permalink)
    Hmmm, thats weird.
    I was going to throw in an old card on my rma this time for a dedicated physx card.
    I wonder if that would work for you also? Do you have an old card laying around?

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/22 23:27:11 (permalink)
    Well I downloaded 372.54 and my problem dissapeared. I think it actually dissapeared on the driver before that but havent been logged in to evga site to report they have fixed whatever was causing the problem.
     I have physX and audio drivers installed. I didnt download the 3d drivers due to not using them. Everything has been working like it suppose to.
    post edited by DAVE2HOT4U - 2016/08/22 23:30:32
    snuukums
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Intermittently Screens Go Black. System Still Active 2016/08/23 06:53:25 (permalink)
    I went from crashing in the first game of overwatch to crashing in the fifth. got a little too excited i suppose. Starting the RMA process now.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile