EVGA

Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
tubra
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/08 09:16:36 (permalink)
FIX FOR THIS ISSUE:

I had the same problem, I put a tiny neodymium magnet over the pump and it changes the impeller's position within the motor housing. No temp changes, ZERO noise. It's an old trick used for fans with bad bearings, but pumps tend to have this issue in "normal" operation. 
MrEWhite
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/08 09:30:53 (permalink)
JDauwalter
NdangerD
Where did you get the two slot bracket?

I didn't get one. I sent in a ticket request with EVGA. The 2 slot bracket is listed in the manual for the hybrid kit, but since I don't have one, I'm using the 3 slot bracket that was on the FTW3.

I called EVGA about this, and they said they would call me back about it. One week later it showed up in my mailbox.
NdangerD
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/08 09:43:44 (permalink)
MrEWhite
JDauwalter
NdangerD

I didn't get one. I sent in a ticket request with EVGA. The 2 slot bracket is listed in the manual for the hybrid kit, but since I don't have one, I'm using the 3 slot bracket that was on the FTW3.

I called EVGA about this, and they said they would call me back about it. One week later it showed up in my mailbox.

Good to know, does the bracket help with temps or sag?
MrEWhite
Superclocked Member
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/08 10:10:23 (permalink)
NdangerD
MrEWhite
JDauwalter
NdangerD

Nope, still max out at 70c on the stealth profile, 66c on the default profile with a push/pull configuration. But I never had sag issues in the first place.
post edited by MrEWhite - 2019/02/08 10:44:23
JDauwalter
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 181
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/08 23:14:41 (permalink)
MrEWhite
NdangerD
MrEWhite
JDauwalter
NdangerD

Nope, still max out at 70c on the stealth profile, 66c on the default profile with a push/pull configuration. But I never had sag issues in the first place.

Yeah, they sent me 2 emails saying they were sending them out, but I haven't seen any tracking numbers. I assume it's on the way, just without a tracking number(at least, I hope). It's a shame it doesn't help with the temps. It seems like a blower type fan, so I thought it was pushed out the back. Mine gets to 67C on an aggressive fan curve, which I guess is okay since it's silent compared to the 3 fans and it's a couple degrees cooler, but I'm a bit disappointed in the temps. 
i4min
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 06:19:55 (permalink)
tubra
FIX FOR THIS ISSUE:

I had the same problem, I put a tiny neodymium magnet over the pump and it changes the impeller's position within the motor housing. No temp changes, ZERO noise. It's an old trick used for fans with bad bearings, but pumps tend to have this issue in "normal" operation. 

Do you happen to have a picture of the magnet size & placement? I'm sure other members would find this useful. Great that you were able to conquer that noise everybody's complaining about.

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 06:57:22 (permalink)
JDauwalter
MrEWhite
NdangerD
MrEWhite
JDauwalter
NdangerD

Yeah, they sent me 2 emails saying they were sending them out, but I haven't seen any tracking numbers. I assume it's on the way, just without a tracking number(at least, I hope). It's a shame it doesn't help with the temps. It seems like a blower type fan, so I thought it was pushed out the back. Mine gets to 67C on an aggressive fan curve, which I guess is okay since it's silent compared to the 3 fans and it's a couple degrees cooler, but I'm a bit disappointed in the temps. 

You can buy the bracket here:

https://www.evga.com/prod...aspx?pn=M022-10-000130

I don't think that it is supposed to be included with the Hybrid kit. I don't know why EVGA is giving them away as some sort of apology. The kit's product images clearly show that a 2-slot bracket is not included.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

markuaw1
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 329
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 07:29:13 (permalink)

i picked up a 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA two weeks ago, and was thinking of picking up that HYBRID Kit, but after seeing the temperatures everyone's getting i just don't think it's worth the $179.99, my 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA has a great air cooler on it,  the temps I get with an aggressive fan curve are a lot better than what I'm seeing from this HYBRID Kit, i see 52c to 58c gaming, and never see over 64c when running benchmarks,  I think I would just be throwing my money away on a HYBRID Kit,

post edited by markuaw1 - 2019/02/09 07:32:56
-j-o-n-n-y-
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 08:18:42 (permalink)
JDauwalter
But I'm also seeing high temps. Hitting 65C under gaming load and 30 idle. I put EVGA precision on an aggressive fan setting, but it only helped a tiny bit--before that, it was hitting 70C.

I wonder if your temps are higher because of the front intake being an AIO cooler? The air coming into the case out of that will be pre-heated. The hybrid kit will only bring the temps down to x degrees above whatever ambient is so if you've got 50-60 degree exhause going into the GPU radiator from the front radiator it may be pushing GPU temps up.

I have my CPU radiator set up in a similar way and a hybrid cooler coming next week so might try and move my current rad to the top exhaust.
MrEWhite
Superclocked Member
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 10:10:15 (permalink)
-j-o-n-n-y-
JDauwalter
But I'm also seeing high temps. Hitting 65C under gaming load and 30 idle. I put EVGA precision on an aggressive fan setting, but it only helped a tiny bit--before that, it was hitting 70C.

I wonder if your temps are higher because of the front intake being an AIO cooler? The air coming into the case out of that will be pre-heated. The hybrid kit will only bring the temps down to x degrees above whatever ambient is so if you've got 50-60 degree exhause going into the GPU radiator from the front radiator it may be pushing GPU temps up.

I have my CPU radiator set up in a similar way and a hybrid cooler coming next week so might try and move my current rad to the top exhaust.

I have three 140mm fans as intakes (one being on the bottom of the case) and a 360mm rad and the 120mm hybrid rad as outtakes and I still get around 70c under load on the stealth fan profile. I'm of the consensus that a 120mm rad isn't enough for this generation of GPUs.
markuaw1
iCX Member
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 10:24:24 (permalink)
MrEWhite
-j-o-n-n-y-
JDauwalter

I have three 140mm fans as intakes (one being on the bottom of the case) and a 360mm rad and the 120mm hybrid rad as outtakes and I still get around 70c under load on the stealth fan profile. I'm of the consensus that a 120mm rad isn't enough for this generation of GPUs.

looks like other companies are starting to figure that out have you looked at the AORUS GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE 11G 240mm radiator with 2x 120mm RGB fans, or the Asus ROG Matrix 2080 Ti

post edited by markuaw1 - 2019/02/09 10:31:20
JDauwalter
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 181
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 11:04:06 (permalink)
-j-o-n-n-y-
JDauwalter

That is possible. This case is incredibly small and I can't fit the CPU rad up top, even though Corsair said you could on the purchase page for the case(Corsair SPEC omega RGB). It just doesn't fit with the ram if I do that; believe me, I tried.
I put the fan curve much higher and it seems to only hit 65C after around 10 minutes of gaming. I can live with this. I have a super quiet Corsair LL120 on there, so it's still way quieter at near 100% fan speed versus the old stock cooler.
EDIT: Okay, so I ran the port royale stress test for a few minutes and it got up to 64C while the CPU stayed at 41C the whole time. I think it's just the card and not a matter of the rad being in front of the case.
post edited by JDauwalter - 2019/02/09 12:07:16
MrEWhite
Superclocked Member
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 11:53:46 (permalink)
markuaw1
MrEWhite
-j-o-n-n-y-
JDauwalter

looks like other companies are starting to figure that out have you looked at the AORUS GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE 11G 240mm radiator with 2x 120mm RGB fans, or the Asus ROG Matrix 2080 Ti 

I’m just gonna drop watercooling and go full aircooling in my case.
markuaw1
iCX Member
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 12:38:51 (permalink)
I don't blame you, I think I'm going to keep my  RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA  just the way it is, it's got a kick ass air cooler on it right now, and save my $179.99 for there HYBRID Kit, 

4STAR
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 119
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 14:51:22 (permalink)
markuaw1
I don't blame you, I think I'm going to keep my  RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA  just the way it is, it's got a kick ass air cooler on it right now, and save my $179.99 for there HYBRID Kit, 

What are your clocks/temps/fan speed at 100% load at the 124% power limit ? Confirm your pulling 360w. My temps where atrocious on my ftw3 ultra.
markuaw1
iCX Member
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 15:10:53 (permalink)
4STAR
markuaw1

What are your clocks/temps/fan speed at 100% load at the 124% power limit ? Confirm your pulling 360w. My temps where atrocious on my ftw3 ultra.

is that what you wanted to see ???
post edited by markuaw1 - 2019/02/09 15:28:42
4STAR
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 119
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/09 17:56:57 (permalink)
markuaw1
4STAR
markuaw1

is that what you wanted to see ???

Perfect, ya my stock FTW3 must of had some problems with the cooler then. I specifically bought it for the beefy heatsink, but I never saw numbers like yours. I would hit 80c with settings like your hwinfo.
tuncerd
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/13 10:58:57 (permalink)
tubra
FIX FOR THIS ISSUE:

Where on the pump did you put this? Like inside the housing? Got a pic?
EarlyAdopter01
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/02/24 13:48:55 (permalink)
Argh. I just installed this hybrid kit on my EVGA 2080 Ti Black and the pump is loud, too.

Not as loud at the video the OP posted, but similar sound. Way louder than other AIOs I've had, including the EVGA 1080 Ti hybrid it just replaced.

I mounted the radiator above the GPU, hoses on the bottom. It cavitated a little at startup, but that sound went away after the first minute as the air bled out. This is definitely the pump impeller whirring.

This is really frustrating as the cooler works well. I'm seeing max temps of 59C on Firestrike Extreme with a 85/500 overclock, and next to no fan noise.

This just replaced an EVGA 1080 Ti hybrid which was nearly silent. The 1080 hybrid only had the tiniest bit of pump sound that was muted with the case closed. This 2080 Ti pump sounds like there is a hotel mini fridge inside my case.

Argh!
Gerbacio
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/03/02 18:23:37 (permalink)
So do you put it forever or for a few minutes while its on ?

anyone else has tried this ?
daverhodus
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/03/12 12:08:16 (permalink)
tubra
FIX FOR THIS ISSUE:

Is this a real thing? My card is literally as loud as a refrigerator.
SeanDude05
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 173
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/03/12 15:51:39 (permalink)
I am going to try the magnet thing this week. Mine isnt as loud as some here, but I can hear it.

Along with a chirping VRM fan when it starts and stops (and also likes to start and stop every ten seconds when idling for some reason) QC has slipped this time around.

EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA + Hybrid Kit
degenerate
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 614
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/03/12 21:45:16 (permalink)
Hopefully my Kingpin 2080Ti doesn't have these same issues related to pump-noise and temps. GamersNexus mentioned it uses a new "Gen6" pump with metal impeller (as opposed to plastic) but I'm not sure if all of the hybrid kits for the 2000-series already use this new impeller or just the Kingpin card.

I'll be putting a block on and custom-looping it at some point down the road but it would still be annoying in the interim! Interesting little magnet trick, clever to think of trying that... hopefully it can remedy the problem for any folks experiencing problems.

I actually owned that Gigabyte Waterforce Hybrid 2080Ti for a couple weeks. Love that it has a 240mm radiator, fantastic temps and speeds. Great card to be honest... it even had Samsung memory when I was expecting Micron. I like the design of the ROG Matrix but it will be interesting to see how it actually performs in real-world scenarios. Depending on case airflow it could be worse than your typical AIO with external rad, I think the difference maker will be that absolutely massive cold-plate on the GPU block... it's big enough that it also covers the VRAM!

|5900x|MSI B550 Unify-X|2x16GB G.Skill 3800 C14 @ 1900 FCLK|2TB WD SN850 M.2|EVGA 3090 KPE|EVGA 1600T2|Alienware '25' & LG 48" CX OLED|
jetmatt
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/03/14 16:48:56 (permalink)
SeanDude05
I am going to try the magnet thing this week. Mine isnt as loud as some here, but I can hear it.

Along with a chirping VRM fan when it starts and stops (and also likes to start and stop every ten seconds when idling for some reason) QC has slipped this time around.

Would love an update on this. I ordered some magnets and will also try when they come in. Where are you placing it exactly? I'm guessing you're removing the shroud and taping on top of the actual pump? 

cyberscott1
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/03/17 14:17:20 (permalink)
I also bought the Hydro kit for my EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra Gaming card. Before, temps would hit as high as 78c under load with a fairly aggressive fan profile and a core clock of +115 and memory +1000 using Afterburner.  
After installing the kit, the card would top out at  71c with the same over-clock. It was quieter but I wasn't impressed with the temps.
I took another look at the card and the back plate had a very slight bulge centered on where the the pump mounted. 
I took shroud off and the pump. I then noticed that the fan cord had fallen under one of the hoses which caused the pump not to sit completely flush, thus the slight bulge on the back plate. I made sure all the wires and hoses were where they needed to be,
 put some NT-H2 thermal compound on the pump block and put the kit back together.  
The temps now go no higher than 64c on intense graphic games like Final Fantasy XV maintaining a core clock between mostly between 2040 MHz and 2070 MHz @4K.
I'm much more happy with the temps now. 
I do have the same high frequency pump noise as others in this thread but not nearly as bad as the OP. I've ordered some tiny neodymium magnets and will give them a try when they com in on Monday.
Hopefully, I'll have the same success as Tubra in post #144. 
jexux
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/03/17 15:13:13 (permalink)
I have rtx 2080 ti gaming oc of gigabyte. Some kit hybrid is compatible with this card? Thanks.
cyberscott1
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/03/17 19:20:21 (permalink)
jexux
I have rtx 2080 ti gaming oc of gigabyte. Some kit hybrid is compatible with this card? Thanks.

The EVGA hybrid kit is not compatible with the Gigabyte 2080 Ti cards. EVGA uses a different RBG power connector on their cards to power the fan and pump on the kit.   
jexux
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/03/18 04:16:43 (permalink)
cyberscott1
jexux

The EVGA hybrid kit is not compatible with the Gigabyte 2080 Ti cards. EVGA uses a different RBG power connector on their cards to power the fan and pump on the kit.   

Ok thanks. I think that the solution is KRAKEN G12 with X42 then.
sn0warmy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 218
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/03/19 18:46:52 (permalink)
tubra
FIX FOR THIS ISSUE:

With the amount of people complaining in this thread about pump noise, I'm amazed that so many skipped right over this post. I know a couple people caught it and have said they were going to give the magnet thing a try, but no one else has posted any results. 

Anyway, I've got an EVGA hybrid kit arriving tomorrow and I'm excited to install it on my 2080 ti FTW3 Ultra. I initially had a 2080 FTW3 Hybrid and I loved how dead silent it was with max temps never exceeding 60C. My 2080 ti, even with just the 3 fan air cooler, rarely gets past 68C. So even a slight drop from that, while drastically reducing fan noise, would be worth it enough for me. 

Admittedly, I'm pretty nervous about the install process itself. I've watched a couple of videos and read through the PDF manual twice. It seems very straight forward but A LOT of screws to deal with. I'm also nervous to get the pump installed on the first shot without messing up the thermal paste application.

But, from what I've gathered, the worst part about the install is routing the pump power cable properly as it's too short to wrap counter-clockwise around the pump. So I'm just going to route it as pictured in Step 8 of the install manual, like this: (basically just folding it over itself and tucking it into the groove)

Let me know if you guys have any thoughts on that.  

Also, I have no intention of using the supplied radiator fan as I have two spare Corsair ML120 RGB fans I plan to use in push/pull configuration with the pump. So I'm planning on wrapping the fan power cabled around the pump, under the shroud. Hopefully it will fit. 

post edited by sn0warmy - 2019/03/19 19:09:59
cyberscott1
Re: Installed EVGA Hybrid Cooler - Getting Buzzing 2019/03/20 15:24:45 (permalink)
Reporting back on my investigation on using a tiny neodymium magnet over the pump as suggested by tubra in post 144.
For me, it was not as simple as taping the magnet on the pump housing. I had to do a little trial and error to get decent results. 

First thing, I bought the FINDFMAG 6X3MM Premium Brushed Nickle Pawn Style magnets on Amazon.com. 
I pulled the EVGA XC Ultra 2080 Ti out of my computer, removed the fan shroud and re-installed the card. 
I turned the computer on, launched Precision X1 so I could monitor the temperature of the core. 
I then placed a single magnet on a small piece of electrical tape and slowly moved the magnet around the top of the pump.
Depending where the magnet was, it would make the pump impeller louder, softer, change the pitch or COMPLETELY STOP the impeller
from spinning, which would cause the core temps to rise extremely quickly. I settled on a position that quieted the pump but
did not appear to impede the impeller nor change the temps. I then attached the tape and mangant to the pump. I ran a few benchmarks to make sure that the temps matched 
previous stress tests on the card prior to attaching the magnet. Satisfied that everything was good, I took the card out and put the shroud back on.

For my card, the magnet did greatly reduce the pump whine, probably by a good 90%. If i listen real close, I can barely hear the pump over the case fans.
It is a lot better than the high pitched whine prior to the magnet. 

I have to stress to anyone wanting to try this to do what I did and find a good position on the pump for the magnet and test it out before final placement.
If you are not careful, the magnet could prevent the pump impeller from spinning and bake your 2080 Ti. 

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile