Home security cameras.

Author
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 115
2013/10/16 22:38:26 (permalink)

Anyone had any experience with these at home or business? Which is a good brand, and a price that won't be too high?

I was looking at this one: http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Full-960H-Security-System-with-1TB-HDD-and-8-700TVL-Cameras.product.100070208.html  Is that a good one?

My wife wants to get one for the house.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp

20 Replies Related Threads

AzN-SoLjA
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7982
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/17 12:39:06 (permalink)
    I believe it would be okay, if you don't mind doing the wiring yourself from all over the house. Cleaner look I'd stick with a wireless setup that doesn't interfered with your network of course. I had one from uniden for a little bit till discovered it crippled my whole network lols. USFORCES recommended me Logitech Alert Security Cameras. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/video-security-systems?overview http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1839622 I'll admit, they were on the pricey side. I started off with 2, 1 new and 1 refurb from ebay, and a few months later added a 3rd that was new as well. Playing it smart with cost, I got a master system from an indoor model and got an add on outdoor camera.(Master outdoor camera costs more) 

Its 720 HD, Outdoor cam has night vision, indoor model night vision optional.
    Records Audio if you like. Designate fields where you would like motion detection to activate.
    Wireless using your homes electrical circuit to send data to the master system attached to your router. So no wireless network conflict! :D
    You can setup alerts to your email and txt to your phone for free. Also view your cameras live from your phone for free.
    6 Cameras total on a 1 master camera setup
    Has SD cards in the camera to store recordings, sends recordings when your computer is on to the designated HD and you can limit the HD space it uses.

Been very pleased with the product. So if your willing to spend more, for just less cameras for now and build your way up later.

| EVGA Z68 FTW | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC 3GB | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 | Custom EK Water Loop | Red Harbinger Cross Desk
    | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.24v | Corsair 16GB Vengeance | Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD | Corsair AX850 | Lamptron FC5V3 | ASUS VE278 27" |
    | Creative Inspire T6160 5.1 & X-Fi Fatal1ty 7.1 Champ | Razer Marauder & Spectre & Tiamat 7.1 | Affiliate Code: 3MHCIBME48 | Associate Code: 08HWLPJXE0O5MPM

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/17 19:50:34 (permalink)
    AzN-SoLjA
    I believe it would be okay, if you don't mind doing the wiring yourself from all over the house. Cleaner look I'd stick with a wireless setup that doesn't interfered with your network of course. I had one from uniden for a little bit till discovered it crippled my whole network lols. USFORCES recommended me Logitech Alert Security Cameras. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/video-security-systems?overview http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1839622 I'll admit, they were on the pricey side. I started off with 2, 1 new and 1 refurb from ebay, and a few months later added a 3rd that was new as well. Playing it smart with cost, I got a master system from an indoor model and got an add on outdoor camera.(Master outdoor camera costs more) 

Its 720 HD, Outdoor cam has night vision, indoor model night vision optional.
    Records Audio if you like. Designate fields where you would like motion detection to activate.
    Wireless using your homes electrical circuit to send data to the master system attached to your router. So no wireless network conflict! :D
    You can setup alerts to your email and txt to your phone for free. Also view your cameras live from your phone for free.
    6 Cameras total on a 1 master camera setup
    Has SD cards in the camera to store recordings, sends recordings when your computer is on to the designated HD and you can limit the HD space it uses.

Been very pleased with the product. So if your willing to spend more, for just less cameras for now and build your way up later.

Wireless in this area is not reliable. When we had a baby monitor set up for our kids when they were younger for example, that wouldn't even keep a good signal. We found a guy that will install it at a decent price. That Lorex I linked to seems pretty good. It has a 1TB hard drive with 8 night vision cameras. You can even monitor the cameras from an iPhone, or Android phone while away from home. Also has motion detection. I think it's a good system for the budget minded.

&nbsp
    AzN-SoLjA
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/17 21:53:38 (permalink)
    Yea, the Logitech Alert isn't wireless too. Thats why I picked it. It runs through your homes electrical wiring to the router. Master box is plugged near your router with a Ethernet cable attached to one of the ports. Data transferred through your homes electrical wiring.

It was better than running actual wires across your whole entire home. More or less its more practical to have the wires installed in the walls while a home is being built than tearing them down or running them along the corners of the walls from all directions to your box.

| EVGA Z68 FTW | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC 3GB | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 | Custom EK Water Loop | Red Harbinger Cross Desk
    | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.24v | Corsair 16GB Vengeance | Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD | Corsair AX850 | Lamptron FC5V3 | ASUS VE278 27" |
    | Creative Inspire T6160 5.1 & X-Fi Fatal1ty 7.1 Champ | Razer Marauder & Spectre & Tiamat 7.1 | Affiliate Code: 3MHCIBME48 | Associate Code: 08HWLPJXE0O5MPM

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/17 21:57:29 (permalink)
    AzN-SoLjA
    Yea, the Logitech Alert isn't wireless too. Thats why I picked it. It runs through your homes electrical wiring to the router. Master box is plugged near your router with a Ethernet cable attached to one of the ports. Data transferred through your homes electrical wiring.

It was better than running actual wires across your whole entire home. More or less its more practical to have the wires installed in the walls while a home is being built than tearing them down or running them along the corners of the walls from all directions to your box.

This was my wife's idea, so I know who to blame if it's messed up.           

&nbsp
    AzN-SoLjA
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/18 02:34:47 (permalink)
     Can't wait to see what she does with all the wires through the house lols.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/18 18:49:32 (permalink)
    AzN-SoLjA

I have faith in the installer that she's getting. Hope he is good at hiding wires. Will have to wait, and see.

&nbsp
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/18 18:52:47 (permalink)
    Why not install em ur self?
    Im sure Moose could get ya a 1-2-3 instructions!
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/18 21:04:31 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    AzN-SoLjA

I have faith in the installer that she's getting. Hope he is good at hiding wires. Will have to wait, and see.

resi installs are a pain, after you go and buy a few hundred in tools and spend a few weeks in your "spare time" its just easier to let some one else do it, unfortunately i have all the tools and have done them so no getting out of it for me.
    as for the lorex kit it is a middle of the pack type, your pelco, panasonic, bosch, axis and few other would be your top but the cost is crazy on some of those (pelco boss series can cost as much as 10k per camera and axis ip cams start around 750 each) that kit is a good deal for 399, the remote stuff will require a static ip or a dynamic dns service to use see the dvr over the web, nice setup though 

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/19 12:31:02 (permalink)

So my Wife went over to Costco yesterday evening, and bought that camera setup for $399. Someone will be installing it sometime next week. If I did it myself, it would take me forever. This guy isn't charging an arm and a leg. So we will be fine. There's one guy that wanted to charge $250 per camera. That guy is definitely a scammer. So this guy that will be doing the install, we got him through a friend who had work done by him. He's going to set up the software for us too. We will be able to see the cameras through our iPhones, and Androids. Also, can see them through our computer too. Which is nice.

&nbsp
    cokeman54
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 962
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/19 12:55:52 (permalink)
    XrayMan

So my Wife went over to Costco yesterday evening, and bought that camera setup for $399. Someone will be installing it sometime next week. If I did it myself, it would take me forever. This guy isn't charging an arm and a leg. So we will be fine. There's one guy that wanted to charge $250 per camera. That guy is definitely a scammer. So this guy that will be doing the install, we got him through a friend who had work done by him. He's going to set up the software for us too. We will be able to see the cameras through our iPhones, and Androids. Also, can see them through our computer too. Which is nice.

Looked at those cams via your link and that is one great deal. Seen like setups costing hundreds more and did not have HD. Software setup is one of the best in the industry (code reader). Looks like Cosco worked a deal for their stores and Mfg. discount saves another $100. Those are really long range IRs for night vision. Camera placement is critical for security, so get several ideas as to what you want covered. Let us know how you like it, with pics please.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/19 13:05:46 (permalink)
    cokeman54
    XrayMan

Looked at those cams via your link and that is one great deal. Seen like setups costing hundreds more and did not have HD. Software setup is one of the best in the industry (code reader). Looks like Cosco worked a deal for their stores and Mfg. discount saves another $100. Those are really long range IRs for night vision. Camera placement is critical for security, so get several ideas as to what you want covered. Let us know how you like it, with pics please.

My Wife has that certain knack for finding great deals. This is why she handles the money. LOL. Anyway, I'll try to get some pics when it's all done. We were discussing camera locations last night. I think on each corner of the house there should be two of them facing opposite directions. They can cover any door entrance, and also see the whole side of the house. We want one in the middle/front of the house facing the street. One in the garage, etc.

&nbsp
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/19 21:08:49 (permalink)
    i would set them for motion and adjust the sensitivity to your liking, ir cams tend to a little picky when it comes to motion detection (btw motion means it only records when it detects motion plus a few seconds before, very handy for saving space and keeping video for awhile) also you might want to think about archive space, that way if you do notice something and want to go back and review the video will still be there, you will have to play with it to find the best balance for quality vs time saved on the dvr, with all 8 at say around 15fps you should get around 30~45 days before it starts looping.  

Tweaked
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10630
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/21 12:35:28 (permalink)
    I would also say to make sure and set your stream and recording to H.264 instead of MJPEG.  MJPEG is between 2 and 3 times as big a file as H.264.  I prefer Axis cameras, they seem to have the most configuration options and Axis has a ton of tools to help you out.  Only important if you ever change your setup.

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/21 19:08:20 (permalink)
    Tweaked
    I would also say to make sure and set your stream and recording to H.264 instead of MJPEG.  MJPEG is between 2 and 3 times as big a file as H.264.  I prefer Axis cameras, they seem to have the most configuration options and Axis has a ton of tools to help you out.  Only important if you ever change your setup.

yeah and the dvr is as big as you want since you can build it your self and just install the software, the a bit pricey but work nice, just ask any one who works loss prevention for target, every store has 100+ of the axis cameras.

Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3762
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/24 00:01:07 (permalink)
    quadlatte
    Tweaked

yeah and the dvr is as big as you want since you can build it your self and just install the software, the a bit pricey but work nice, just ask any one who works loss prevention for target, every store has 100+ of the axis cameras.

Or Amazon warehouse, oh my god dude, SO MANY CAMERAS!

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.
    -1X 1TB 7200 spinny drive.

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/24 14:51:45 (permalink)
    You should see the setup in casino's, they can follow a fly around and count the hairs on there butt with those ones.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/24 22:06:11 (permalink)
    quadlatte
    You should see the setup in casino's, they can follow a fly around and count the hairs on there butt with those ones.

&nbsp
    fusionssl
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1428
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Home security cameras. 2013/10/25 00:49:41 (permalink)
    I can vouch for the axis Ip camera's they are very good, also the axis server software is extremely easy to setup but you will need to license the software. The server will run fine on a simple i5 rig.

rig 1
    X79 DARK 3940k (4.4oc), corsair Platinum 2133mhz,Evga GTX580 2way sli, mountain mod assention,

rig 2
    EVGA X58 759 CLASSIFIED  I7 930/ 4.5GHZ  
    Corsair Domminator 2153MHZ   10,10,10,24/1T
    Evga GTX 460  

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    Re: Home security cameras. 2014/01/09 18:40:44 (permalink)
    How do I get the job of shooting a cam with a gun and running it over with a car?
    (Watch video if I sound crazy in op link)

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Home security cameras. 2014/01/10 20:06:28 (permalink)
    seth89
    How do I get the job of shooting a cam with a gun and running it over with a car?
    (Watch video if I sound crazy in op link)

I feel better now that my camera's can withstand a baseball bat, a car running over it, and a gun shot. LOL.      :P

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile