• Ribbons : 0
2015/09/01 13:04:34 (permalink)
Hello everyone!
I have big problems with my graphic cards. I am running following setup:
-Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V-Pro
-Processor: Intel i7-3770K
-Graphics: 2x EVGA GTX960 FTW in SLI
-Power Supply: be quiet Pure Power 530W

The two 960s came in for a 660 and they ran for about 2 months now. Since I formatted my computer lately, I noticed loss of fps when playing. In BF4 I checked the FPS, wich should easily reach up to 60+, as I saw on the internet. But it is always between 15-25 FPS. So I installed Precision X to check temperatures and found out, that the fans do not run at all. After observing, I saw, that the sometimes move slightly, but do not start rotating. By manually running them in PreciosionX, I found out, that the loss of FPS is still there, although there is enough cooling provided. This also happens in other games, like The Witcher 3, or the Star Citizen Arena Commander.
I tried only one of the cards, and it is all the same.
I cannot figure it out. There is no bottlenecking at all and the drivers have been up to date, been uninstalled and reinstalled. But the problem is still there.

I hope u guys can helb me out here!
Greetings
Kniepie

8 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49170
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 960 FTW issues with FPS an Fans 2015/09/01 13:11:03 (permalink)
    ACX 2.0 cards don't spin the fans until temps are greater than 60c. Check cpu temps for overheating, also check for throttling on the cpu, cpu should be boosting to around 3.9GHz when playing.
    Kniepi
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: GTX 960 FTW issues with FPS an Fans 2015/09/02 06:56:50 (permalink)
    I re-installed PrecisionX now, to Observe the GPU clock (It was uninstalled, when I reinstalled the graphic drivers). Surprisingly, the fans automatically went to full speed, when I started it up and then remained at 50% in idle, wich was the default setting in the fan curve, starting to rise at 60°C. So obviously, the automated fan stop, during idle was disabled. I adjusted the fan curve manually, so the fans would start rotating at 50°C.

Playing Witcher 3, the GPU temp stays at 62°C, while fans are at about 30%. The GPU clock rises to 1417MHz and stays there, absolutely pinned. The voltage is permanently on 1193mV.
    In BF4 its absolutely the same. But the framerate is >25fps.

The marks for base clock (white arrow) and the boost clock (red arrow) are at 1300MHz an about 1350MHz. All now recorded with only one GTX960 FTW.

Funny though, I checked for driver updates since I removed the second card for testing. Although the drivers are still fine, I cannot use shadow play anymore, because it says, I would lack a GTX600 series or higher, wich obviously is not right.

I restarted the computer and started BF4 without launching PrecisionX. Now, at least, the fans started cooling, but first after Windows7(64bit - btw) told me, I may disable Aero effects, wich means, the card already turned out to be very hot. Lanching PrecisionX now, it told me it was at 62°C. I can barely touch the backplate.

What I also noticed: Since I use the 960, the ASUS Mainboard boot screen and Windows boot screen appear on my TV, when plugged in. Its always set as Screen 1 in the Wondows setup. I can't set my monitor as screen 1, but only as main screen.

So obvoiusly, the GPU seems to be throttled. But how can that happen?
    Kniepi
    Re: GTX 960 FTW issues with FPS an Fans 2015/09/02 07:12:15 (permalink)
    I now ran the EVGA OC Scanner at 8xMSAA on 1980x1080p. Hope the scrennshot helps. Had about 220 fps in average. I will try it in SLI next.

Attached Image(s)

Kniepi
    Re: GTX 960 FTW issues with FPS an Fans 2015/09/02 08:13:23 (permalink)
    So, before SLI, I just swapped the cards. Here the result with card 2!

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 960 FTW issues with FPS an Fans 2015/09/02 11:03:05 (permalink)
    Looks like your card is working like it should. It's not being throttled as it's running at 1417MHz when gaming. 62C is not hot at all. Sounds like your settings inside BF4 may be set too high.
    Kniepi
    Re: GTX 960 FTW issues with FPS an Fans 2015/09/02 12:13:36 (permalink)
    Funny though. After the latest driver dpdate, I tried the nVidia GeForce Expirience tool, you can optimize your games with. It set my BF4 somewhere between HIGH and VERY HIGH. I put it back to ULTRA again ingame, and things got crazy. Didn't notice it, becaus, that was the first time, since formatting my system, that I played BF4. After all the reinstallations, I was frustrated and just optimized the game again in GeForce Expirience, no matter the quality. Just playing. It set everything to ULTRA ...
    Now all the settings are ULTRA and the game runs stable between 90 an 130 fps, depending on the action, going on.
    Well.....at least, everything worked out fine. I have no idea, why this happened.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 960 FTW issues with FPS an Fans 2015/09/02 15:02:30 (permalink)

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: GTX 960 FTW issues with FPS an Fans 2015/09/12 12:39:40 (permalink)
    Kniepi
    Funny though. After the latest driver dpdate, I tried the nVidia GeForce Expirience tool, you can optimize your games with. It set my BF4 somewhere between HIGH and VERY HIGH. I put it back to ULTRA again ingame, and things got crazy. Didn't notice it, becaus, that was the first time, since formatting my system, that I played BF4. After all the reinstallations, I was frustrated and just optimized the game again in GeForce Expirience, no matter the quality. Just playing. It set everything to ULTRA ...
    Now all the settings are ULTRA and the game runs stable between 90 an 130 fps, depending on the action, going on.
    Well.....at least, everything worked out fine. I have no idea, why this happened.

Sometimes things just can't be explained. Just glad it's now working for you.           

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile