EVGA

GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100%

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 47 of 54
Author
grendelrt
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/24 17:26:54 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Recently, there are many customers wanting to know more details about the EVGA GeForce 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue and we believe we need to make a clear statement to clear all kinds of speculation.

The EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue was fixed as of the first week of September and this has been confirmed by all users who have received the replacement units with the issue resolved. Also, all new production has been confirmed to not have this issue after the first week of September.

This previous black screen issue was caused by On Semiconductor (VRM IC Manufacturer) VRM IC’s being out of spec, triggering the OCP (Over Current Protection) and will not cause any damage to your system. The percentage of the IC’s that were out of spec has been confirmed by On Semiconductor and is approximately 3% to 4%. Since then, EVGA and On Semiconductor have worked out the solution and RMA replacement action a couple months ago as we stated above.  At this moment, all of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW’s have been corrected and all products in the field are working properly.

If you have any questions, please contact our support directly at: support@evga.com.

Thanks,
EVGA

I have a launch day 1080FTW (first shipment) , is there any way to confirm I do not have the affected VRMs? Card hasnt gotten a ton of use, been occupied with family stuff. 
RKarov
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/24 19:16:28 (permalink)
I have had no black screen during gaming but I did have an endless start and restart issue a couple of days when my GTX 1080 FTW was plugged in so I ordered my thermal-pads.  I hope it and some Arctic Silver will prevent my card from dying.  I did not notice more heat coming from my case so maybe I do not have this issue but i got the card at the end of July so it may be an issue in the future.
post edited by RKarov - 2016/10/24 19:18:55
asilver1
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/24 19:31:01 (permalink)
Having this issue in BF1 and cs:go, weird b.c dust2 always works but when I play a different map it'll bs100%. Can't seem to get away with more than a half hour of bf1 until it goes bs100%. Started the RMA process today.
Daz1967
  • Total Posts : 92
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/24 23:57:46 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Recently, there are many customers wanting to know more details about the EVGA GeForce 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue and we believe we need to make a clear statement to clear all kinds of speculation.

The EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW “Black Screen” issue was fixed as of the first week of September and this has been confirmed by all users who have received the replacement units with the issue resolved. Also, all new production has been confirmed to not have this issue after the first week of September.

This previous black screen issue was caused by On Semiconductor (VRM IC Manufacturer) VRM IC’s being out of spec, triggering the OCP (Over Current Protection) and will not cause any damage to your system. The percentage of the IC’s that were out of spec has been confirmed by On Semiconductor and is approximately 3% to 4%. Since then, EVGA and On Semiconductor have worked out the solution and RMA replacement action a couple months ago as we stated above.  At this moment, all of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW’s have been corrected and all products in the field are working properly.

If you have any questions, please contact our support directly at: support@evga.com.

Thanks,
EVGA

Thank you for clarifying that. Is this also a sticky in one of the forums so everyone can see that?

As regards my own replacement GTX 1080 FTW, which so far has been working fine after an extensive test over the weekend, do I need to order the thermal pad or does mine already have it fitted? I do not want to have to take my card apart to check so how can I get confirmation of whether I have it or not please? Do I need to contact support?

Thanks.

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz, ASUS Z87-DELUXE motherboard v2103, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1,600 MHz memory, 11 GB EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 graphics, Creative SB Sound Blaster Z sound, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 9 TB SATAIII hard drives, XFX Pro Black Edition 850 W, Windows 10 Pro v1703 64-bit
JPS2K5
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 03:57:17 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF

Thanks,
EVGA

'recently'.... 'we believe'.... You let this thing go on for what, 2 months while people want an explanation and now you come with one. That's not believing, that is called surrendering with a knife at your throat.

And now I get to open up my cards and put on thermal pads, because 'no, there is no problem with the cards, it's just a service for people who want cooler cards', yeah right like I want to take the risk not putting them on...

I can not believe that there are actually people that cheer at you guys for doing what you should not have to be doing in the first place.

EVGA cards... The gift that keeps on giving.

thorpey
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 04:04:53 (permalink)
Just for anyone wondering, i've had this exact same issue with a GTX 1070 SC that was purchased near launch. I've seen similar reports on reddit and this is definitely not restricted to the FTW's. 

Fine for a couple of months, then constant black screens + fans 100%. Under load, at desktop doing nothing, using Chrome - happens totally randomly. I've had 5 hour play sessions and it's been fine also. 

Problem has been getting worse and worse, and now I have to RMA. So cheers for this EVGA. What a huge hassle. Never again.
jaju123
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 08:06:33 (permalink)
For the record, my replacement I got last week has been perfect (so far). Slightly worse overclocker though (actually artifacts if the core clock goes too high - weird).
Nexzer
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 09:44:39 (permalink)
So this issue is only related to heat?
Ive tried running my fans at 100% speed and getting temps down to about 45 degrees celsius and i still got a black screen.
This only happends in battlefield 1 singleplayer on the plane mission in single player.
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 09:54:44 (permalink)
Nexzer
Ive tried running my fans at 100% speed and getting temps down to about 45 degrees celsius and i still got a black screen.
This only happends in battlefield 1 singleplayer on the plane mission in single player.

This issue is not related to heat in any way, shape or form. If you have the black screen/100% fan issue the card needs to be replaced, please contact us directly to arrange it.

ElBartoME
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 11:39:08 (permalink)
EVGATech_ChrisB
Dear ElBartoME,

I can confirm that all cards shipping today are 100% updated.  Unfortunately we have had one or two cards ship from our Europe office recently that did not have this update and one of them was your product.  I am very sorry for any inconvenience that this did cause and thank you for allowing us to work with you to have your product exchanges once more. 

Hi Chris, 

I really hope that this was the case. The new card is already on the way. Let's see if the problem is gone for good now.
Thanks again for your help!
jeremykrak
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 14:24:43 (permalink)
Just bought a new card and had this problem out of the box. Very thankful for the tech support at eVGA tho in less than just 2 business days, they've already got me set up with an Advance RMA and sending a new one.

I suspect it's because in Kansas City the store i bought the 1080 FTW from had old stock that had been on the shelf for a while - so not really bothered by the fact that this happened, thankful to get one that works and super excited to use it when it comes!

So far debug mode is working, but can't wait to use this as intended :) I did get a chance to play battlefield 1 in 4k for about 15 minutes on stock clocks - before it went black tho, BEAUTIFUL performance. Looking foward to a longer session than 15 minutes ;)
Emwun Garand
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 15:32:56 (permalink)
jeremykrak
Just bought a new card and had this problem out of the box. Very thankful for the tech support at eVGA tho in less than just 2 business days, they've already got me set up with an Advance RMA and sending a new one.

I suspect it's because in Kansas City the store i bought the 1080 FTW from had old stock that had been on the shelf for a while - so not really bothered by the fact that this happened, thankful to get one that works and super excited to use it when it comes!

So far debug mode is working, but can't wait to use this as intended :) I did get a chance to play battlefield 1 in 4k for about 15 minutes on stock clocks - before it went black tho, BEAUTIFUL performance. Looking foward to a longer session than 15 minutes ;)

Nice Vette
raxtor
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 16:43:45 (permalink)
It's great that the issue was properly clarified.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 19:27:48 (permalink)
JPS2K5
EVGA_JacobF

Thanks,
EVGA

'recently'.... 'we believe'.... You let this thing go on for what, 2 months while people want an explanation and now you come with one. That's not believing, that is called surrendering with a knife at your throat.

And now I get to open up my cards and put on thermal pads, because 'no, there is no problem with the cards, it's just a service for people who want cooler cards', yeah right like I want to take the risk not putting them on...

I can not believe that there are actually people that cheer at you guys for doing what you should not have to be doing in the first place.

EVGA cards... The gift that keeps on giving.

First, you guys (yes, you guys) complain, complain, complain (and complain some more) about stocks not available. Nvidia/EVGA provide "different" solutions to try and satisfy the community and customers by giving an alternate solution to provide stock. Now another problem has arrise, and now you complain complain complain again. WHy dont you give them time to fix their issues? They're human just like you. Yes, they have engineers, but engineers have to diagnose and do trial and errors just like us on our PCs. Take a pill; chill. Let them fix the problem. Like little kids who can't get their hand in the cookie jar...We'll all sit and wait for the next rant. 

What have you done on your end to try to get the card working? Have you tried Debug Mode? Have you tried to under-clock the card a bit to see if you can get any stability? Have you tried cranking the fans full speed and under-clock the card? 

post edited by stalinx20 - 2016/10/25 19:36:35

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 19:38:25 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Nexzer

This issue is not related to heat in any way, shape or form. If you have the black screen/100% fan issue the card needs to be replaced, please contact us directly to arrange it.

Exactly as i said from the beginning, same issue as the 980FTW had. Solution (but not permanent solution) under-clock the card to make it work, and then RMA the card. 

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
Rammler
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/25 23:09:24 (permalink)
I hope EVGA is learning from that problem and the design of the 1080 ti or the volta cards will cool the vrms and vram more efficient.
Daz1967
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/26 05:15:18 (permalink)
EVGA have acknowledged the return of my faulty GTX 1080 FTW yesterday (25/10/2016) as it is showing in my accounts as RMA Complete so how long will be it be before the collateral payment is refunded please? I have not received anything to say that it even *IS* being refunded. I would have expected at least an email from EVGA  to inform me that they had received the card and that my "security deposit" is being repaid.

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz, ASUS Z87-DELUXE motherboard v2103, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1,600 MHz memory, 11 GB EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 graphics, Creative SB Sound Blaster Z sound, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 9 TB SATAIII hard drives, XFX Pro Black Edition 850 W, Windows 10 Pro v1703 64-bit
Nexzer
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/26 07:01:42 (permalink)
Daz1967
EVGA have acknowledged the return of my faulty GTX 1080 FTW yesterday (25/10/2016) as it is showing in my accounts as RMA Complete so how long will be it be before the collateral payment is refunded please? I have not received anything to say that it even *IS* being refunded. I would have expected at least an email from EVGA  to inform me that they had received the card and that my "security deposit" is being repaid.

It says this on the RMA page:
"Upon receipt of your product, without damage, EVGA will refund the collateral paid in full. The complete refund process may take 7-14 business days."
It does not say wether or not they will confirm paying the deposit back beforehand though, but id be interested in knowing once you find out, as im about to RMA my card aswell.
post edited by Nexzer - 2016/10/26 07:45:43
Piers123
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/26 11:53:02 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF

Thanks,
EVGA

Thank you for offering a clear explanation after 46 pages. It's very much appreciated.

Since my GPU has this issue in two games, I think it's time to RMA but I'm uncertain.

CPU: AMD R9 5900X
Cooling: 360mm Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT AIO
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-E
RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX @ 3600 MHz CL18
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Hybrid 10GB w/ 240mm radiator 
SSD/HDD: 1 * 1TB WD Blue M.2 PCIe 3.0 NVMe | 2 * 1TB WD Blue SATA | 2 * 8TB Toshiba N300 HDD SATA 
NAS: 280TB on a 4U server
Daz1967
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/26 11:57:14 (permalink)
May take 7-14 days?!?!? Yeah, they aren't daft, are they? What a great way for EVGA to earn interest while their customers end up paying it!

Rammler
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/26 12:05:30 (permalink)
I would also take my old card back if you are able to fix the problem with the pads. no need for a completly new card. sending out new cards for every rma of the 1080ftw would surely be a big drawback for the company :(
Dicehunter
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 187
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/26 13:42:54 (permalink)
I quite literally just bought a Classified and it's getting delivered tomorrow, Quite worried now if I get one of the affected cards that could potentially frazzle itself to death.

=STEAM - Dicehunter = ORIGIN - Dicehunter=
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18917
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/26 14:10:32 (permalink)
Daz1967
May take 7-14 days?!?!? Yeah, they aren't daft, are they? What a great way for EVGA to earn interest while their customers end up paying it!

Give me a break.. the credit card company might make some interest (like one cent), but not EVGA.     Also your credit card company would not be charging you interest on purchases until the next billing cycle, so no, you don't pay anything either, not that you would pay interest on a returned charge anyway.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18917
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/26 14:11:04 (permalink)
Dicehunter
I quite literally just bought a Classified and it's getting delivered tomorrow, Quite worried now if I get one of the affected cards that could potentially frazzle itself to death.

Where did you buy it from?

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Dicehunter
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/26 14:44:46 (permalink)
Nereus

Where did you buy it from?

Overclockers.co.uk

wanako
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 176
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/27 15:38:32 (permalink)
Daz1967

I don't think you understand how that works...

CPU: Intel i7 4970K 4.7 GHz OC | MB: MSI Z97M Gaming | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB 1600MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked | Sound: Creative Labs SoundBlaster Z
SSD: 1x Crucial M550 256GB M.2., 2x Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB | PSU: Corsair AX750 | Case: Silverstone Sugo SG-10

wils07
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/27 15:57:44 (permalink)
Dicehunter

How do you think I feel I'm out of my 30 day return period and no one from evga will comment on my post to tell me if not fitting the pads will damage the gpu over long gaming sessions. I would really like to get a refund or a new card that has already been fixed but that's not going to happen.

ASUS ROG gene VIII
6700K 4.6Ghz
16gb corsair dominator 2800mhz
Palit gamerock 1080GTX 2000mhz
Seasonic platinum 1050w
3 x 850 pro ssd
1 x m.2 512
ROG swift
Dicehunter
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/27 16:00:04 (permalink)
wils07
How do you think I feel I'm out of my 30 day return period and no one from evga will comment on my post to tell me if not fitting the pads will damage the gpu over long gaming sessions. I would really like to get a refund or a new card that has already been fixed but that's not going to happen.

Yeah this was extremely poorly communicated by EVGA, I only found out about it after ordering and because I decided to have a browse on the forums.

A notification should have gone out to stores selling any and all EVGA products affected.

Cymek
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/27 16:52:21 (permalink)
I am unsure if my cards are faulty or not as I get the black screen but haven't noticed the fans spinning up. Games crash often within a few minutes of playing them. No warning just a signal loss to my monitor which goes black sometimes with a buzzing type noise and then it reboots. Debug mode seems to help but not the solution I want. Graphics testing software doesn't cause the problem. I am going to ship my entire computer back to the people that built it and get them to look at it and hopefully replace the cards or work out what else may be causing it. Do others get the black screen and reboot but not the fans issue ?

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 6950X Broadwell-E (3.00Ghz), MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon, EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 x 2, G Skill 32GB (4 x 8) PC4-25600 (3200MHz), ASUS DVD Burner, Samsung 512GB SSD 950 Pro Series, Seagate 2 TB Desktop HDD, Seagate 3TB Desktop HDD x 2, Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Airflow Edition ATX Case, Corsair RM1000i 1000w Power Supply, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, 6 Thermaltake Ring Radiator Fans, Razer  BlackChroma Keyboard, Acer Predator 4K Monitor.
Daz1967
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/28 05:37:33 (permalink)
I actually got an email from EVGA confirmed the RMA was complete along with confirmation of the collateral refund, which they say will take 3-5 days.

That is far more reasonable and what I was expecting (not sure why it would ever take 7-14 days...) and while having to pay upfront for the replacement card and then be reimbursed once the old one is returned is not exactly my idea of customer-friendly (bearing in mind the card was faulty out of the box...), the RMA was otherwise dealt with quickly and, so far, my new card seems to be working fine. It even overclocks higher on the VRAM, currently at +400 MHz. My old one was only really stable up to +250 MHz.

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 47 of 54
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile