EVGA

GTI 980 TI SC - Overheating or some other issue?

Author
Roadwarriorsdp
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/01/22 11:41:03 (permalink)
I bought a computer back a couple years ago with a GTI 980 TI SC card, pretty awesome.

But I recently downloaded DOOM and started playing it. Everything was going fine but after a while the FPS would drop really low from about 100 to around 40. Then my computer wouldn't start anymore and I took it in and they swapped out my RAM because the MOBO was giving off beeps that indicated the ram had a parity issue.

So I got the computer back and loaded up DOOM again and noticed that my graphics card was super hot. I Downloaded precision x and turned up the fan curve to keep the temperature low, as it would reach 80 Celsius almost instantly. And everything is fine, but if I don't have precision x on then the fan curve doesn't kick in and the same thing happens.

I'm worried that the graphics card might have "melted the ram" or something like that because it was getting so hot without the fan curve. Is this normal? Does the card usually get this hot so fast for newer games and is it possible the graphics card melted the ram? Is there some additional information I can post regarding my cards speeds and temperatures? Also, is there another way to adjust the fan curve without using precision x? Is this a problem anyone else has had?

7 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: GTI 980 TI SC - Overheating or some other issue? 2017/01/22 11:45:29 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forum Roadwarriorsdp
    You can remove the Graphics Card and give it a good cleaning and maybe even replace the TIM if the card is older then 3 Years.
    Take it outside and give it a good blowing out.
    Myself I use:
     Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac  500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120-Volt

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/01/22 11:53:54

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: GTI 980 TI SC - Overheating or some other issue? 2017/01/22 11:53:49 (permalink)
    980ti is still in warranty, as long as the end of the part number isn't RX. The 980ti wasn't released 3 years ago, so you should still havr warranty time.

It shouldn't be hot enough to crack the solder. If a capacitor failed, you wouldn't be able to miss the bright flash or burning small.
    Roadwarriorsdp
    Re: GTI 980 TI SC - Overheating or some other issue? 2017/01/22 12:27:25 (permalink)
    I will definitely consider cleaning it and/or sending the card back in but before I do that I was wondering if this was normal sort of set-up.

So if I down-clock the card fully, i can play at 41 degrees Celsius with about 71 fps in doom with a very agressive fan speed (about 80 percent at 40 Celsius), but if I set it to normal clock, or 0 mhz for gpu and mem clock, I play around 57-70 degrees Celsius.

Is this normal?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49170
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTI 980 TI SC - Overheating or some other issue? 2017/01/22 14:38:53 (permalink)
    Roadwarriorsdp
    I bought a computer back a couple years ago with a GTI 980 TI SC card, pretty awesome.

But I recently downloaded DOOM and started playing it. Everything was going fine but after a while the FPS would drop really low from about 100 to around 40. Then my computer wouldn't start anymore and I took it in and they swapped out my RAM because the MOBO was giving off beeps that indicated the ram had a parity issue.

So I got the computer back and loaded up DOOM again and noticed that my graphics card was super hot. I Downloaded precision x and turned up the fan curve to keep the temperature low, as it would reach 80 Celsius almost instantly. And everything is fine, but if I don't have precision x on then the fan curve doesn't kick in and the same thing happens.

I'm worried that the graphics card might have "melted the ram" or something like that because it was getting so hot without the fan curve. Is this normal? Does the card usually get this hot so fast for newer games and is it possible the graphics card melted the ram? Is there some additional information I can post regarding my cards speeds and temperatures? Also, is there another way to adjust the fan curve without using precision x? Is this a problem anyone else has had?

I would recommend rma'ing the card if the fan isn't coming on without precision x open. The graphics card isn't going to melt your ram.

Roadwarriorsdp
    I will definitely consider cleaning it and/or sending the card back in but before I do that I was wondering if this was normal sort of set-up.

So if I down-clock the card fully, i can play at 41 degrees Celsius with about 71 fps in doom with a very agressive fan speed (about 80 percent at 40 Celsius), but if I set it to normal clock, or 0 mhz for gpu and mem clock, I play around 57-70 degrees Celsius.

Is this normal?

57c to 70c are great temps.
    Roadwarriorsdp
    Re: GTI 980 TI SC - Overheating or some other issue? 2017/01/22 17:08:45 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Roadwarriorsdp

I would recommend rma'ing the card if the fan isn't coming on without precision x open. The graphics card isn't going to melt your ram.

Roadwarriorsdp

Is this normal?

57c to 70c are great temps.

By rma'ing do you mean return to manufacturer? I bought my pc from cyberpower and I'm not sure if I can do this.  All I have with regards to my components is a receipt from cyberpower. Is there anything else I need to send it back?

The fans do come on...they just don't power up fast enough to keep the heat down before it gets to 80 Celsius unless precision is on and I change the fan curve.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: GTI 980 TI SC - Overheating or some other issue? 2017/01/22 17:33:42 (permalink)
    Check your part number in your region here for warranty length (typically 3 years) - http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

Register your card if you haven't already - http://evga.com/support/register.asp

Then call or email to start a RMA - http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    Dave3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 720
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: GTI 980 TI SC - Overheating or some other issue? 2017/01/22 18:33:00 (permalink)
    Sounds like exactly what my Titan X did when I had to eventually rma it (3 months of troubleshooting and living with lower and lower performance).
    First I couldnt hear the fan at all, but could feel a little heat coming out the back.
    Next, I used PrecisionX to ramp the fan up to 95%, and it worked for a bit.
    Then, it was 80c just loading up the desktop. I did a TIM replace, and it seemed ok, but something had gotten too hot, and it went downhill fast (the fan stopped working, stuff loaded in slowly, desktop took minutes to display).
    Do yourself a favor and rma now while you can.
    ;)

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile