Fixed, thank you EVGA Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
neilwillgb
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/12/21 14:47:14 (permalink)
I was recently installing my water block, when stupidly I knocked off a small/tiny little metal block (as pictured), could someone tell me what these are, can I just solder it back on? the card is still working fine, however when running benchmarks, I get issues and artifacts

post edited by neilwillgb - 2017/01/13 07:29:26

38 Replies Related Threads

Heini2
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 498
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/21 15:09:07 (permalink)
    RMA and be prepared to pay the repair bill.

Z170 Sabertooth Mk1 / i7-6700K + NH-D15 / Trident Z (2x16GB)@3000 / 2080Ti XC Ultra / Essence STX II / 950 Pro 512GB / G3 1000W / MG279Q / HAF XB EVO / Win10 X64 Pro
    MikeBGeyer
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 343
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/21 15:24:02 (permalink)
    Heini2

I would not continue using the card. It will fail at some point and could take out other components with it. Even if you soldered it chances are the component is compromised as well as the board and unless you solder professionally you will most likely do more harm than good. At this point EVGA will work with you if you solder it becomes harder to rationalize a warranty. They may not even charge you for repair as it would be simple for them but be prepared for it.
    GarrettL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/21 15:44:11 (permalink)
    MikeBGeyer
    Heini2

I would not continue using the card. It will fail at some point and could take out other components with it. Even if you soldered it chances are the component is compromised as well as the board and unless you solder professionally you will most likely do more harm than good. At this point EVGA will work with you if you solder it becomes harder to rationalize a warranty. They may not even charge you for repair as it would be simple for them but be prepared for it.

Mike is spot on with this one.

At this point I would recommend an RMA so we can assess the damage in order to see how we can work with you to resolve the issue. I would not recommend continuing to use the card in this state as it may be doing further damage and I would certainly not recommend attempting the repair yourself as physical modification is a definite no go in terms of warranty service. 

Get the unit registered and submit a support ticket http://www.evga.com/support/ticket/support.aspx with some pictures of the card and we can try to help get this situation figured out 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/21 21:29:13 (permalink)
    1) The "little block" is a capicitor. You circled 3 in your picture, but only mentioned one being knocked off. I am confused about that discrepancy. How many were damaged? Can we get a picture of the actual damaged card?
    2) Soldering it/them back onto the board is not as simple as your mighthave expected; because likely the pad they were soldered to on the PCB (printed circuit board) ripped off with it/them. Usually the PCB copper pads are less strong than solder and usually the PCB is damaged when the pad is ripped off.
    3) You have already voided your warranty by damaging your card. You have no video card warranty any more. Don't expect a simple, cheap solution any more.
    4) Your only two options are to either keep using your video card (with no warranty) after having a 3rd party repair your card (if they can) or send it to EVGA and pay the fees to get the card repaired or replaced out of warranty terms. If you send it to EVGA, expect to pay. (You have no warranty any more, after all.) If you give it to a 3rd party on the other hand, you will need to pay them as well and may or may not get a working card in the end. Neither option is a great option. But at least with EVGA, you should end up with a working card (even if you end up paying more).

Good luck!
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/12/21 21:42:07

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

MikeBGeyer
    iCX Member
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/21 21:44:08 (permalink)
    You did not void your warranty. The EVGA tech would have made that clear. I promise EVGA will work with you on this one as they already stated above. They are awesome at this stuff. They may however charge you to fix it but since this happened while installing a water block (which does NOT void the warranty ) they may be sympathetic and not charge you. If the card was very recently purchased and it is very possible it could be an easy fix if the board is not damaged they may not charge you. That part is not expensive and if the board is not damaged it would take them a minute to solder a new one in. Case in point I recently broke off the 3.0 header on my X99 MOBO while transferring it into a DG case and they simply replaced the board all I paid for was shipping. Thanks EVGA. They are awesome. Don't stress it and do as the Tech advises above.
    post edited by MikeBGeyer - 2016/12/21 21:57:46
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 00:33:39 (permalink)
    Neil, that's unfortunate, but things happen. I would follow advice and start an RMA. Let us know how it goes. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 07:04:43 (permalink)
    MikeBGeyer
    You did not void your warranty.

Have you read the warranty?

The first obvious sign: If he has to pay EVGA to fix or replace the card (which he will have to do) then it is obviously not covered under warranty.

The limited warranty covers against workmanship and manufacturing defects within the warranty period. That is all. The limited warranty specifically states that there are many ways in which the card is not covered under warranty.

This Limited Warranty does not cover:
    Graphics Cards that are modified by customer outside of factory specifications and/or not in factory condition.
    Graphics Cards with modification to the serial number and/or factory identification labels whether removed, relocated, falsified, defaced, damaged, altered or made illegible.
    Damages to PCB (Printed Circuit Board) whether cut, scratched, warped, cracked, dented or broken.
    Any damages to the components, hardware and/or assembly of the graphics card including neglect, or unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress.
    Any missing hardware, components and/or assemblies of the graphics card.
    Cosmetic damages deemed outside of reasonable usage caused by deep scratches, cuts, cracks, dents, discoloration, neglect, dropping or mishandling the graphics card.

Graphics Cards that are exposed to liquid, liquid residue or excessive humid environments resulting in rust, moisture, dampness, stains, corrosion or liquid spills on components, hardware or electronics. Burns or component Flare-ups as a result of a liquid accident or spill.
    Direct usage of paint, submersion of the graphic card in oil, use of adhesives or glues on any part of the graphics card, usage of solder to the PCB, electronics and/or component modification.
    Exposure to cigarette tar residue, dampness, sand, dirt or excessive debris.
    Graphics Cards that are rendered non-functional due an accident, collision with an object or tool, use of excessive force, neglect for care, exposure to fire or abnormal heat, flooding, dirt, windstorms, lightning, earthquakes, excessive weather conditions, theft, blown fuses, or improper use of any electrical source.
    Defects or damage resulting from the use of a 3rd party product in conjunction or connection with accessories, products, software or secondary peripheral equipment not furnished for the usage with or approved for the Graphics Card by EVGA CORPORATION.
    Defects or damages resulting from improper testing, operation, maintenance, installation, service, or adjustment not furnished or approved by EVGA CORPORATION.
    The use of inadequate shipment packaging or use of inadequate packing material resulting in damages to the graphics card while in transit with your shipping courier.
    Unauthorized changes to the BIOS or Firmware on graphics card that do not have a Multiple BIOS option may cause this warranty to be null and void.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

MikeBGeyer
    iCX Member
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 07:10:29 (permalink)
    Have you read the techs statement as well as mine! EVGA works with people get over it. It is up to EVGA to decide and I have read warranty. Why did EVGA replace my motherboard dude!!!! Because they are reasonable and work with people. Op please post with the results of your RMA to prove this dude wrong.
    Shockjockey
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4928
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 07:12:26 (permalink)
    I sent a motherboard in a long time ago for bent pins. It didn't void my Warranty. It cost me 55 dollars to fix. EVGA is pretty reasonable when it comes to repairs.

Asus Sabertooth x99
    5930k (4.5ghz)
    16gb Corsair DDR4 (3000)
    EVGA 1000w psu
    Zotac 980ti x 2
    Samsung 850 pro 500 SSD
    HPLP3065 30in Monitor 2560x1600
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 07:45:12 (permalink)
    Shockjockey
    I sent a motherboard in a long time ago for bent pins. It didn't void my Warranty. It cost me 55 dollars to fix. EVGA is pretty reasonable when it comes to repairs.

Exactly! You had to pay $55 for the damage because the damage was not covered under warranty.

He will need to pay EVGA to repair or replace his video card for the damage which isn't covered under warranty. The EVGA tech never said that it will be repaired or replaced for free. It won't be free.

MikeBGeyer
    iCX Member
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 08:08:00 (permalink)
    Exactly! So the warranty is not VOIDED and he may and I say MAY have to pay for it but having a 3rd party work on the card will void the warranty. It may if fact actually be free as they did not charge me for my motherboard BUT as I stated above they might charge him. You made it sound as if the warranty is null and void and he will no longer have coverage which is not true. The repair may be out of the scope of the warranty but the warranty is not void that is up to EVGA to decide and you are feeding this dude false info. Also a third party repair station would charge a hell of a lot more and that would void the warranty. You stated he has no warranty and that is not true bottom line. EVGA will take care of the OP.
    staypuft
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4013
    • Ribbons : 31
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 08:23:21 (permalink)
    Send it in for repair.  Best course of action.  It is clear from post# 4 that EVGA is willing to work with you on this.  I would not expect it to be free, but it could free be if they decide to be generous.  You won't know until you get into the process.

Interested in a discount on EVGA products?
    Click here for details and enter this Associates code at checkout >> 2ILPLQQ8IWY8DPN

2021 Build: Gigabyte Z590 Ultra | Core i7-10700K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Asus TUF VG27AQL1A
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 10:09:06 (permalink)
    Ok "voided" may have been the wrong word. What I meant is that the damage is not covered by warranty.

Here is a card which is unusable with a warranty which is useless due to damage not covered by the warranty. You decide how it should be phrased.

If it can be repaired, he will need to pay for the repair. It is likely that EVGA will decide that the card cannot be repaired in a satisfactory way if the PCB was damaged due to pads and/or traces ripped up off of the PCB (which likely happened). In that case, who do you think will have to pay for the replacement video card? The card is as good as junk with no useable warranty in such a case. Therefore I used the term "voided" to describe the potential situation in a simple way.

EVGA will accept the card via RMA and then determine what they can do. They will either say "luckily we are able to repair the card for $75 (or some price)" or they will say "unfortunately we cannot repair the card and you may ask for the broken card to be returned to you or we can sell you a refurbished card for $450 (or some price)".
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/12/22 12:17:37

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31014
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 15:09:57 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

EVGA will accept the card via RMA and then determine what they can do.

This

Lets not get worked up over semantics.  You both have made your point.

EVGA will determine what can be done.

OP, do the RMA and see what EVGA has to say. 

Using the card is a really BAD idea, if it goes sideways it may take your MB or something else with it

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

neilwillgb
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 15:14:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the responses, I have registered my product and opened a ticket.

Hopefully EVGA will be nice :) as I was installing their hybrid shell, to include bought another card today, with hybrid already fitted ;) . Ces la vie, just need to get it fixed. 

I'll let you know how I get on.

For anyone interested, this is where it broke off from

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 15:19:25 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forums neilwillgb

Hope it all gets worked out quickly for you.  You can come back and post your results after the RMA.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2016/12/22 17:44:17 (permalink)
    Because you didn't focus your camera properly on the area which is damaged, it's impossible to see in your pictures whether the circuit board pads were ripped off the PCB. But at least it looks like the traces weren't ripped off. If the pads are still there, no problem. But, if either pad is gone, EVGA might not want to risk calling it repaired after doing a bodge job of soldering it to the end of the trace where it losing contact or falling off is more likely. The lower pad in both pictures looks a little questionable. I hope for the best.

By the way, the picture in your first post is a completely different group of components on a completely different part of the video card. Which one is it? And why can't we get an actual image of the damage (and with the damage in focus instead of some other part of the card inches away being the clear part of the image at the center of focus).
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/12/23 07:05:40

neilwillgb
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 05:26:39 (permalink)
    EVGA replaced my card free of charge, received today, great service EVGA!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 05:38:27 (permalink)
    neilwillgb

Very Nice

Another example of EVGA giving World-Class Customer support.

Please Edit your thread Title by - Adding a word or two -- like: Fixed, resolved, thank you EVGA .......

Go to your First post, click edit, select the title and add the word to the Front of your title

It will help other if they know your issue was taken care of

Game On
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2017/01/13 05:48:03

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 07:05:18 (permalink)
    neilwillgb

You are incredibly lucky! EVGA had no reason not to give you back your broken card unrepaired, charge you for a repair, or sell you a replacement card for hundreds of dollars. After all, it was entirely your fault for damage not covered under warranty. No one else in a similar situation should refer to this event and expect a similar outcome. I wonder which unfortunate person will be buying your repaired card as a Bstock item while you get a replacement card for free.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/01/13 07:13:51

neilwillgb
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 07:31:47 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    neilwillgb

You are incredibly lucky! EVGA had no reason not to give you back your broken card unrepaired, charge you for a repair, or sell you a replacement card for hundreds of dollars. After all, it was entirely your fault for damage not covered under warranty. No one else in a similar situation should refer to this event and expect a similar outcome. I wonder which unfortunate person will be buying your repaired card as a Bstock item while you get a replacement card for free.

Why do you fell the need, to tell me everything i already know? I would have been happy to pay for repairs, just like I went and bought another card the next day. I never asked or told EVGA to send me another card, however THEY DID, thank you again EVGA, Great Service. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 07:36:05 (permalink)
    As always, EVGA will determine how they will handle any repair /replacement.

Above and beyond the warranty in this instance

candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 08:14:28 (permalink)
    That is why we buy EVGA, while compaines like MSI will void your warranty if your motherboard arrives with the cpu socket bouncing around in the motherboard box.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102371
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 08:43:05 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    As always, EVGA will determine how they will handle any repair /replacement.

Above and beyond the warranty in this instance

I can guarantee that if the same thing would have happened to a competitor's video card you would have had to pay a repair fee. EVGA was fantastic in this case.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 10:04:10 (permalink)
    neilwillgb

Neil, thanks for replying about the resolution with your card. This is a reason I go with EVGA when possible. They do really try to take care of people. I have had only a couple of RMA's through the years,but they were handled really well.
    Welcome to the forums as well!! 

There is a forum section in support if you would like to let them know about your experience. http://www.evga.com/myevga/rateus/

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 12:22:13 (permalink)
    neilwillgb
    ty_ger07
    neilwillgb

Why do you fell the need, to tell me everything i already know? I would have been happy to pay for repairs, just like I went and bought another card the next day. I never asked or told EVGA to send me another card, however THEY DID, thank you again EVGA, Great Service. 

I was continuing the earlier conversation from above and making sure that other people are aware of the dangers of improper modification and improper use of tools; so that they won't expect such a good outcome as yours. Your luck wasn't to be expected and shouldn't be the benchmark to measure similar circumstances against.

neilwillgb
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 12:30:06 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    neilwillgb
    ty_ger07
    neilwillgb

I was continuing the earlier conversation from above and making sure that other people are aware of the dangers of improper modification and improper use of tools; so that they won't expect such a good outcome as yours. Your luck wasn't to be expected and shouldn't be the benchmark to measure similar circumstances against.

Improper modification NO, it was an EVGA Hybrid cooler!, improper tools NO, it was the correct tool for the job, incorrect handling Maybe, bad luck, probably. I was asked to post the outcome and I did. Nobody should expect anything in life, but only hope for the best, hey maybe because it was Christmas, maybe because I've spent thousands of dollars, all I know is I got a good outcome. 

Disclaimer 

People don't expect the same outcome!
    nunzmon
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 201
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 13:14:06 (permalink)
    No other company would do this .....Way to go EVGA!

Asus Rampage IV blk 4930k @ 4.6 1.29v
    4x4g corsair Dominator gt ram 2400 9.11.11.31 1t
    NVidia Titan XP hybrid Asus pg348q monitor
    ZL1YENKO
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re: Help Wanted Broken Piece gtx 1080 2017/01/13 13:49:04 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    neilwillgb

Can you say BUZZKILL!   

I7 6700K \Corsair 110i GTX Hydro \Asus Z170 Deluxe \64Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3466

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512 \2 EVGA GTX 1080 Founders in SLI  + Hybrid kits \EVGA HB SLI Bridge  

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile