EVGA

First Time Watercooling

Author
knotnancy
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/07 16:11:04 (permalink)
I'm about to attempt to water cool my current rig.  I've read all the info I could find and have ordered the parts.
I'm sure I'll have questions along the way so any help anyone can give me will be much appreciated.
I'll update the post via my iPad as I make progress.

18 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/07 17:08:27 (permalink)
    Keep us up to speed and any questions you might have.  

Also, give us a list of your PC and liquid cooling specs so we know what you're working with here.

I will post this here just a reminder piece if any questions arise to the basics.

Don't forget to...

-  Clean your gear before assembly.  (Run distilled through your rads, blocks, pumps to a clear bowl to see that no manufacturer debris is showing up.  Keep rinsing till that happens.)
    -  Test your gear outside of the case (optional)
    -  Make sure your reservoir is configured above the pump to naturally feed it.
    -  Make sure your pump never runs dry.
    -  Add a drain valve at the lowest point of the loop for ease of maintenance.
    -  Loop order don't matter.  A short clean route is best advised.  Your loop's fluid temps will reach a equilibrium (normalize) no matter what.
    -  Use positive pressure in your case so all your rads get fresh cooler air from the outside and use the rear for exhaust.  Most filter points in a case are used as intakes while the unfiltered (unobstructed) rear is used for exhaust.
    -  Cable Management is advised to help improve internal case airflow.
    -  Try staying away from colored fluids since they tend to break down and stain and or clog things up.  I personally use Aquacomputer's Clear Ultra for example.  Preferably, if its EK water cooling gear, use their clear premix fluid for example.
    -  If you want color in your loop (theme), use RGB lighting and colored soft tubing (PrimoChill Advanced LRT) unless of course you're going rigid tubing but that's not usually advised for first timers.  I still prefer soft tubing for the ease of use.
    -  Prime the pumps and bleed the loop.  You will have air pockets in the loop for quite some time so don't worry as they'll eventually make their way out to the reservoir.  I usually will open my reservoirs top cap where the liquid won't spill over to released the pressure build up from bleeding on a daily basis from the time of bleeding to every week to every few weeks till things look normalized.  
    -  Last but not least, run a 24 hour leak test.  Some people skip this and aren't so lucky while others cut the time short but realize later on that they had a slow leaker.  Use paper towels or anything that absorbs liquid under the points where a leak can occur which is every fitting.  Of course just the pumps will be powered during this process, nothing else.

Hope this helps and gives you a solid guide for starters.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    knotnancy
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/07 17:18:32 (permalink)
    Thanks @GTXJackBauer You can never have enough information from numerous sources.
    I do have a question about Precision XOC.  My GPU is a 1080 ti FTW3.
    Once I put the waterblock on, am I correct that when I open XOC that the fan sliders will be at 0?
    Also the GPU, Power, and Memory temps will still show?
    random_matt
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/07 17:36:40 (permalink)
    Like Koolance myself.

Corsair 5000D Airflow | EVGA 1000 G6 | EVGA X570 FTW | Ryzen 5800X | EVGA 360 CLC | Corsair 4000MHz 32GB|
    Corsair MP600 2TB | EVGA 3080 Ti FTW Hybrid | Alienware AW2721D | Windows 11

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/07 22:45:48 (permalink)
    knotnancy
    Thanks @GTXJackBauer You can never have enough information from numerous sources.
    I do have a question about Precision XOC.  My GPU is a 1080 ti FTW3.
    Once I put the waterblock on, am I correct that when I open XOC that the fan sliders will be at 0?
    Also the GPU, Power, and Memory temps will still show?

That's correct.  Since you won't have a fan connecting and operating on the GPU, it will be shown as 0.  The rest should still show up.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/08 18:49:00 (permalink)
    Once you have the entire thing built and ready to go inside your case, keep the PSU unplugged and (if possible) use an old PSU outside the system to jump just the pump and run it for a few hours minimum, overnight is best. Then check every single fitting for seepage with paper towel to make sure all the fittings and connection points are dry. As it is your first time you will probably want to lay a paper towel across the top of the GPU too, it'll make any leaks at the CPU block evident as that part tends to get people the first time with a slow leak.

Have water, will cool. 
    knotnancy
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/19 15:15:38 (permalink)
    Here's a progress report on my first water cooling.  Doing the leak testing.

Attached Image(s)

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/19 18:02:07 (permalink)

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    knotnancy
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/19 19:38:59 (permalink)
    Once the leak test was done, drained the distilled water and mixed up the EKWB CryoFuel concentrate and put it in and continued to let the system run.

Attached Image(s)

knotnancy
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/19 19:44:45 (permalink)
    While I was at it, I decided to change the case fans to the 140mm PWM style.
    post edited by knotnancy - 2019/12/20 12:54:40

Attached Image(s)

knotnancy
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/20 12:53:53 (permalink)
    With leak testing complete, it was time to tidy up the wiring and close the case.

Attached Image(s)

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/21 04:50:50 (permalink)
    Looking good!   Now most of the rest like monitoring temps and checking joints is straightforward. But make sure to keep on eye on your tubing when you get around  to really pumping out the heat. The heat will soften most tubing to varying degrees so you want to be sure your tubing holds up! I could really get mine hot once I combined overclocking with lowering fan speeds until I eventually found a good balance between overclock, temps, and noise. 

A successful watercooling build is addictive, I could never go back to air for my main rig. 

Have water, will cool. 
    knotnancy
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/21 07:09:02 (permalink)
    Thank you to everyone for your advise with my first water cooling.  It was a lot of fun working through all the little issues.  My fingers were sore for a day after turning all the compression sleeves.  Taking the GPU apart and putting on the water block was a real learning experience.  I used the EKWB water block for my EVGA GTX 1080 ti FTW3.  If you are going to reinstall the factory back plate, not theirs , you'll need to use the screws provided by EKWB and pay close attention to the instructions as not as many screws are needed.  The screws are also longer and a larger diameter. This link is very informative https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDqHctG6lZA 

I'm already looking forward to my next computer build.  It will definitely be water cooled.

Attached Image(s)

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/21 22:18:13 (permalink)
    knotnancy

My fingers were sore for a day after turning all the compression sleeves.  Taking the GPU apart and putting on the water block was a real learning experience.  

I'm already looking forward to my next computer build.  It will definitely be water cooled.

Glad you enjoyed it and learned a lot from it.  Once you go custom cooling, you can't go back.  I'm almost 10 years into it and there are times I dread my annual drain and refill OR troubleshooting or installing new hardware because it's such a pain in the wazoo but other than that, custom water cooling is amazing in temps and audibles.

Also, I learned the hard way over the years and it's best to use gloves when working with the compression fittings.  Another trick is to use a little water and soap around the fitting when installing the tubing on it. 

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    knotnancy
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/22 09:00:31 (permalink)
    "Also, I learned the hard way over the years and it's best to use gloves when working with the compression fittings.  Another trick is to use a little water and soap around the fitting when installing the tubing on it."

Thanks @GTXJackBauer for the tips.  Will definitely use in the future.
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/25 23:28:50 (permalink)
    knotnancy
    Thank you to everyone for your advise with my first water cooling.  It was a lot of fun working through all the little issues.  My fingers were sore for a day after turning all the compression sleeves.  Taking the GPU apart and putting on the water block was a real learning experience.  I used the EKWB water block for my EVGA GTX 1080 ti FTW3.  If you are going to reinstall the factory back plate, not theirs , you'll need to use the screws provided by EKWB and pay close attention to the instructions as not as many screws are needed.  The screws are also longer and a larger diameter. This link is very informative https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDqHctG6lZA 

Very nicely done knotnancy. Looks good. :)
    You probably already found the stickies on water cooling, if not:
     https://forums.evga.com/Ready-to-try-water-cooling-Where-to-start-Library-of-linksbasics-to-expert-m2534039.aspx
    knotnancy
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2019/12/26 12:42:52 (permalink)
    Very nicely done knotnancy. Looks good. :)
    You probably already found the stickies on water cooling, if not:
     https://forums.evga.com/Ready-to-try-water-cooling-Where-to-start-Library-of-linksbasics-to-expert-m2534039.aspx

Thanks @notfordman Yes I saw the stickies and clicked on almost every link.  They were most helpful.
    nateman_doo
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11233
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2020/01/08 13:50:05 (permalink)
    nicely done.  Nicer than my first thats for sure.  
    knotnancy
    Re: First Time Watercooling 2020/01/08 14:41:15 (permalink)
    nateman_doo
    nicely done.  Nicer than my first thats for sure.  

Thanks @nateman_doo I took my time and believe me I drew several different loop routes on paper before settling on the one in the pictures.  That's part of the fun.  Always looking for a better way.  Everyone on the forum has been very helpful also.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile