EVGA

Hot!EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly

Author
mordant_mohamad
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2023/10/30 03:51:28 (permalink)
hello every one
as you can see in tittle i have an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRa which was working fine till few days ago.
in a day i decided to update bios via x1 precision(both ac/normal) in result both bios went to same bios number(94.02.42.80.16).
the graphic card was working fine with new bios .
5-10 minuets after update, i  opened backplate and pcb to change the thermal paste and pads, and it took 1 day to reassemble the card .
after putting  the card back to the motherboard slot( rog maximus z690 hero) all fans went up to 100% immediately after power up.
and i wasn't able to change them properly with any software(X1 precision/msi afterburner/gpu twick).
one fan was stcuk at 100% the 2nd one would follow same in auto mod , and all of them were showing wrong %  and rmps.
also  have read many many topics with almost same problem and no result but going through RMA, i don't have that luxury .
now im gona provide you some screen shots and things i have done till now ,but none of them works.

1_ i had same thing happening with my other graphic cards , installing new driver fixed the problem, so i tried that , but it didn't help.
2_ then i removed my gpu driver entirely with the help of a software , and re install it fro scratch , it didn't help.
3_ re installed fresh windows , it didn't help.
4_ then i reset my bios with both reset bios button and taking out battery , it didn't help.
5_ then i reflashed the original bio number which was on t he board in to card. it didn't help.
6_ re update the flashed bios , didn't help.
7_ re opened the graphic card then i cleaned the board with alcohol, didn't help.
8_ at last i sent it to an expert to check if wires are problem ,due to his comments wires are fine ( haven't check this one by my self  cus i don't have tools)
the only thing may i missed was changing firmware (not bios) but i couldn't find any thing about that online

Here are some screen shots and explanation
i couldnt upload images so plz delete spaces between / and words in link and use it in browser to download it

https:// imgur.com/ qxW7cow
first link you see sensors in X1 precision version 1, as you see 1 memory sensor shows 125 degree, im pretty sure its falls info becus are voltages are low on board and cheap also its not even 10 powering up.

https:// imgur.com / Fsb1lFg
in this one i linked fan curves and as u see rmp changes but fan 1 and 2 are stuck at 100% while fan 3 work properly .

https:// imgur.com/ lPIFlQc
here im using x1 precision 1.3  and as you see icx sensors are not workign. in gpu-z there is same result as version 1, 1 memory at 125.

https:// imgur.com/ 4NVD27u
in this one fan curve are not linked . as you see second fan rmp is 0 but in real its turning in 100% speed.

CONCLUSION :
I believe its more like a software problem than hardware or broken sensor.
in any case i sincerely ask you to help me to fix it , because i don't have access to any evga support center, i have to handle situation by myself.
so if i need to change any sensor on board plz tell me which one and if you can, plz show it to me  in a photo because im no expert of such matters.
if you know i need to change a part of fans or pcb itself, same approach is appreciated.

Update :
i managed to flash card firmware (not bios ) to older version , problem fixed but temporary.here is explanation

The process of changing firmware :
every x1 precision app has its own version of firmware , for example px1 1.3.7 ( the last version for my card is 2.01.22)
the only limitation here is that the app only works for 1.1.7 version and before.
so i had to download a older version,( i tired many versions),
boom it works , now the firmware has changed ( into 2.0.18 ... and other versions) , yet  sensors are not working properly same as i explained in first post (check uploaded images) but i could change fans speed with px1, problem solved ?.... no the weirdest thing ever happened. here is where i can say its above my pc knowledge .
this new firm ware that doesn't matter which version it is, ( even you can re upgrade to the latest version with px1 1.3.7), works fine until i power off/on my pc , its fine with reset and even in some versions its working after first time of power off/on but in second time ,when i start pc again, the problem is back fans are spinning at 100% and no control over them .

Here are the things that i thought may help graphic card to save the firmware as it is before the power off.
1_ i tested firmware with  fastboot  on/off    
2_ resizable bar  on/off
3_csm  on/off
4_intel rapid stroge on/off
5_ after power off,bios battery taken out  for 10 min and put it back  .
6_cut the pc power supply for 5 min
7_taking out graphic card from PCIE slot and put it back.
8_power plan <shutdown button < fast startup tick removed

in very scenario after i turned pc on the problem was there, so i guess its firmware problem , and i really don't know what else i can do

post edited by mordant_mohamad - 2023/11/07 06:02:58

15 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2023/10/30 09:21:12 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA Forums & Congrats on your first thread & post

Sorry to see your having some sort or new fan control issue post Firmware update & removal of the backplate.

EVGA PX1 would only notify you to update the cards firmware.  BIOS updates for a GPU would require totally different steps & should never be done unless your sure you know how & follow all directions exactly - while using a BIOS designed for the GPU you have.  DON'T FLASH AN LHR CARD TO A NON-LHR BIOS.

These threads cover BIOS:
    EVGA GeForce 30 Series HYBRID/XOC/Default BIOS Thread

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 XOC BIOS

New members of the EVGA forums have restrictions see the New Member Guide, item #4

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

Inserting a strategic space or two can allow you to type out the URL, but not make a link that would be automatically removed

PSA adding a photo to your Post - EVGA made some changes - Post Directions below

Your links trigger a security alert on my system, so I can't see or re-post your photos. 

Try using IMGUR.com as your photo host

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

mordant_mohamad
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2023/10/30 11:06:18 (permalink)
    hello thank you for helping me
    but are you sure about the px1?  as i checked both px1 and gpu-z showing me same bios number. number which is updated version. seems re bar update  worked for me.
    and when i follow the approach mentioned in  those links ( turn off fast bios/turn off csm) and using bios  exe files in  second  topic,
    it doesn't change my bios version, the cmd opens but the time it takes to update bios is much shorter than what nvflash and px1 rebar update took before .
    post edited by mordant_mohamad - 2023/10/30 11:08:39
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2023/10/30 12:06:54 (permalink)
    Sorry about that, I have restored the thread (restored from Akismet Spam Action)

"auto filter run amuck"

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

mordant_mohamad
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2023/10/30 15:02:20 (permalink)
    thank you my friend its ok
      i changed images host link i think now u can download them however you can see image preview in that site.also the approach you mentioned  in  topic doesn't work.
    also about the bios  seems its work in your way too but  it didnt help the problem.in any bios its same fan speed.

and i checked it again resizable bar update did  change the bios on graphic card. its not just an inform.

mordant_mohamad
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2023/11/02 03:35:35 (permalink)
    guys and girls any idea about my problem???? i  made a ticket for evga support, yet no response .
    so my only hope is here guys.
    mordant_mohamad
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2023/11/05 07:27:37 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Welcome to the EVGA Forums & Congrats on your first thread & post

Sorry to see your having some sort or new fan control issue post Firmware update & removal of the backplate.

EVGA PX1 would only notify you to update the cards firmware.  BIOS updates for a GPU would require totally different steps & should never be done unless your sure you know how & follow all directions exactly - while using a BIOS designed for the GPU you have.  DON'T FLASH AN LHR CARD TO A NON-LHR BIOS.

These threads cover BIOS:

New members of the EVGA forums have restrictions see the New Member Guide, item #4

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts

Inserting a strategic space or two can allow you to type out the URL, but not make a link that would be automatically removed

Your links trigger a security alert on my system, so I can't see or re-post your photos. 

Try using IMGUR.com as your photo host

hi there
    it seems your the only one exist in  this forums. can you help me a little bit 
    i  have found the  mcu tools here https:// forums.evga.com/RTX30-MCU-UpdateDowndate-Tool-m3214879 . aspx
    but seems its  broken or old  and not working  when i hit flash nothing happens .i followed structure as some one mentioned in comments ,for ftw3 ultra     version 1.1.7 px1 and FTW_E230_3Fans_376x_AP_R106  as firmware.
    is there any other source for more updated version? and software?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2023/11/06 08:00:59 (permalink)
    I believe your talking about using this Tool? ---> RTX30 MCU Update/Downdate Tool. 

EVGA did not create that thread or those downloads, so I would talk directly with EVGA about the issue you are having & ask for the Files - directly from EVGA.  

I personally have not tried the suggestions/ downloads in that thread, so can't offer any specific input on why it does or does not work. 

Generically software needs the correct admin level to execute.  Windows can block many types of software depending on your OS settings & security software on your PC & other software running in the background can also be an obstacle.  

Just a little background about your level of PC experience may be helpful, in constructing useful replies to an further questions.  

It is unclear to me, if the firmware update or the disassembly of the card is the root cause of the issues you are now seeing. 
    (excerpt from your first post)

"5-10 minuets after update, i  opened backplate and pcb to change the thermal paste and pads, and it took 1 day to reassemble the card .  after putting  the card back to the motherboard slot( rog maximus z690 hero) all fans went up to 100% immediately after power up.
    and i wasn't able to change them properly with any software(X1 precision/msi afterburner/gpu twick).
    one fan was stcuk at 100% the 2nd one would follow same in auto mod , and all of them were showing wrong %  and rmps." 

It might be time to make a ticket with EVGA to see what support has to offer you

Place a LINK to this thread in Your Ticket ---> https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3614861

mordant_mohamad
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2023/11/06 13:13:03 (permalink)
    yes thats the topic i was speaking of  . yet i managed to find same app from another source ,im going to explain  about it .
    about my pc level , i can say its expert or above average , not a programmer or a engineer but a 20 years  pc user.
    about the root of problem . i wasn't sure which one  was the cause of problem , but now i guess i know the reason, (i guess its firmware) further im going to explain.
    I did make a ticked for evga support , yet they just asked me for uploading invoice for RMA no further technical support.
    so as i said, i found the firmware app same as the one in the topic you mentioned, from another source .
    then due to specific approach that they explained in the topic  i  managed to change the firmware of card to an older version,

every x1 precision app has its own version of firmware , for example px1 1.3.7 ( the last version for my card is 2.01.22)
    the only limitation here is that the app only works for 1.1.7 version and before.
    boom it works , now the firmware has changed ( into 2.0.18 ... and other versions) , yet  sensors are not working properly same as i explained in first post (check uploaded images) but i could change fans speed with px1, problem solved ?.... no the weirdest thing ever happened. here is where i can say its above my pc level .
    this new firm ware that doesn't matter which version it is, ( even you can re upgrade to the latest version with px1 1.3.7), works fine until i power off/on my pc , its fine with reset and even in some versions its working after first time of power off/on but in second time ,when i start pc again, the problem is back fans are spinning at 100% and no control over them .

Here are the things that i thought may help graphic card to save the firmware as it is before the power off.
    2_ resizable bar  on/off
    3_csm  on/off

in very scenario after i turned pc on the problem was there, so i guess its firmware problem , and i really don't know what else i can do.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2023/11/09 07:18:37 (permalink)
    very odd to see the firmware not "sticking" as it should write to the hardware

PM sent to my EVGA contact

EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2033
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2023/11/09 09:33:40 (permalink)
    Dear mordant_mohamad,

Thank you for your posts and we can confirm that it does sound as though something is not working properly with the sensors or card.  I can confirm that as explained previously through email, if the card is not working as it should, then we can help with warranty.  In this case since you are not currently in the same country you purchased the item in originally, then we can help with warranty through our German office as also offered previously.  Alternatively, you could consider working with the place of purchase if/when you do return to the country of purchase.

Please do not hesitate to contact our support by responding to the last email received, if you should want further assistance.

mordant_mohamad
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2023/11/09 11:03:18 (permalink)
    hello and thank you for response
    as i mentioned in my ticket to evga ,RMA would be my last option due to tax and extend distance from here to Germany ,going to cost me alot . also i need to find my invoice first, so i prefer technical support, if its possible.
    i wll replay with email as well, already was replaying with ticket link in mail.
    post edited by mordant_mohamad - 2023/11/09 11:08:49
    ahmet16
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2024/03/12 09:50:03 (permalink)
    mordant_mohamad
    hello every one
    as you can see in tittle i have an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRa which was working fine till few days ago.
    in a day i decided to update bios via x1 precision(both ac/normal) in result both bios went to same bios number(94.02.42.80.16).
    the graphic card was working fine with new bios .
    5-10 minuets after update, i  opened backplate and pcb to change the thermal paste and pads, and it took 1 day to reassemble the card .
    after putting  the card back to the motherboard slot( rog maximus z690 hero) all fans went up to 100% immediately after power up.
    one fan was stcuk at 100% the 2nd one would follow same in auto mod , and all of them were showing wrong %  and rmps.
    also  have read many many topics with almost same problem and no result but going through RMA, i don't have that luxury .
    now im gona provide you some screen shots and things i have done till now ,but none of them works.

1_ i had same thing happening with my other graphic cards , installing new driver fixed the problem, so i tried that , but it didn't help.
    2_ then i removed my gpu driver entirely with the help of a software , and re install it fro scratch , it didn't help.
    3_ re installed fresh windows , it didn't help.
    4_ then i reset my bios with both reset bios button and taking out battery , it didn't help.
    5_ then i reflashed the original bio number which was on t he board in to card. it didn't help.
    6_ re update the flashed bios , didn't help.
    7_ re opened the graphic card then i cleaned the board with alcohol, didn't help.
    8_ at last i sent it to an expert to check if wires are problem ,due to his comments wires are fine ( haven't check this one by my self  cus i don't have tools)
    the only thing may i missed was changing firmware (not bios) but i couldn't find any thing about that online

Here are some screen shots and explanation
    i couldnt upload images so plz delete spaces between / and words in link and use it in browser to download it

https:// imgur.com/ qxW7cow
    first link you see sensors in X1 precision version 1, as you see 1 memory sensor shows 125 degree, im pretty sure its falls info becus are voltages are low on board and cheap also its not even 10 powering up.

https:// imgur.com / Fsb1lFg
    in this one i linked fan curves and as u see rmp changes but fan 1 and 2 are stuck at 100% while fan 3 work properly .

https:// imgur.com/ lPIFlQc
    here im using x1 precision 1.3  and as you see icx sensors are not workign. in gpu-z there is same result as version 1, 1 memory at 125.

https:// imgur.com/ 4NVD27u
    in this one fan curve are not linked . as you see second fan rmp is 0 but in real its turning in 100% speed.

CONCLUSION :
    I believe its more like a software problem than hardware or broken sensor.
    in any case i sincerely ask you to help me to fix it , because i don't have access to any evga support center, i have to handle situation by myself.
    so if i need to change any sensor on board plz tell me which one and if you can, plz show it to me  in a photo because im no expert of such matters.
    if you know i need to change a part of fans or pcb itself, same approach is appreciated.

Update :
    i managed to flash card firmware (not bios ) to older version , problem fixed but temporary.here is explanation

boom it works , now the firmware has changed ( into 2.0.18 ... and other versions) , yet  sensors are not working properly same as i explained in first post (check uploaded images) but i could change fans speed with px1, problem solved ?.... no the weirdest thing ever happened. here is where i can say its above my pc knowledge .

2_ resizable bar  on/off
    3_csm  on/off

in very scenario after i turned pc on the problem was there, so i guess its firmware problem , and i really don't know what else i can do

hi bro. 
    I think I had the same problem.

After receiving the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING card, I installed the x1 program. After running the program, it asked me to update the gpu bios, which I did.When I restarted the computer, I saw that the RGB light was not on and two fans were working and the third fan was not working.Even though I went back to the previous bios version, RGB and the third fan did not work.In the Precision x1 program, the graphics card appears to have 2 fans and the RGB button appears to be deactivated.Even though I tried everything, including the bios version written on the card, the problem is still not resolved.My gpu was working very well before installing the program.The bat file sent from the technical service did not work. When I run the file, it does not load, the cmd screen remains fixed.

If you explain exactly what you did, I would like to try it.

Can you help me. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2024/03/13 07:55:29 (permalink)
    Try the update EVGA gave you.  You tried.  Didn't work.  It often doesn't.

Try the update/downgrade the community gave you.  You tried.  Didn't work.

Ask EVGA what to do next.  RMA.

That's it.

Only other option you have is to ignore it.

Do you need to find another thread with no solution to ask in?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2024/03/13 07:57:30

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

ahmet16
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2024/03/13 12:23:13 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Try the update EVGA gave you.  You tried.  Didn't work.  It often doesn't.

Try the update/downgrade the community gave you.  You tried.  Didn't work.

Ask EVGA what to do next.  RMA.

That's it.

Only other option you have is to ignore it.

Do you need to find another thread with no solution to ask in?

They do not open RMA tickets. 
    It is not easy to ship from Turkey to the USA.
    If you know the solution, tell me, otherwise don't send unnecessary messages.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA fans stuck at 100% icx sensors arent working properly 2024/03/13 13:12:04 (permalink)
    There is no known solution. There are things to try, which rarely work, but you already tried them.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile